PDA

View Full Version : Wofford @ ASU Prediction/Analysis Thread

Pages : [1] 2

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Figured we oughta get this one started pretty early (Im sure theres gonna be a lot said)........HUGE GAME with a lot of implications........so how do you see it?xcoffeex

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
btw......i say ASU by 4 or less (but its early in the week)

uofmman1122
October 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Wofford by 14. xrotatehx

walliver
October 25th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Wofford 45 - ASU 42

Our offense this year is much better ( a true option QB ). Our defense is quite as good, but did well this week. Hopefully we can slow Armanti down enough to win a shootout.

Reign of Terrier
October 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I hear from some App fans on the board that their defense is their weak point-not a good sign. Wofford by a score.

94Terrier
October 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM
If we play the dominant game like we did today, Wofford wins by a minimum of 11.

apaladin
October 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Wofford 45 - ASU 42

Our offense this year is much better ( a true option QB ). Our defense is quite as good, but did well this week. Hopefully we can slow Armanti down enough to win a shootout.

Before today I was leaning toward ASU but after today I am thinking Wofford. FU held ASU to 319 yds total. Armanti had 16 carries for 16 yds.
FU ran the ball well today and WC has a much better running game. It's hard to bet against ASU at home but that's where I'm leaning now.

ASUdrummer
October 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Defense is definitely not our "weak point". Our offense is obviously still our strong point but I would definitely say Special Teams is the weakest point with 4 TDs against us and 5 missed PATs thus far...We're going to have to be firing on all cylinders to come away with the victory Friday night. I believe the heart that'll be on that field trying to avenge last year's defeat will be the deciding factor in a close game...Go APPS!

BestOfBreed
October 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
App State is still App State and The Rock is still The Rock. Should be a good one.

Woof
October 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'll defer to OldMain who stunned us all with his strong Elon prognostication last week, but I am definitely feeling better about our chances after today's performance. xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

GO TERRIERS ! xhypedx xhypedx

millwoga1
October 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Short week- Ayers was resting most of the first team in fourth quarter.
I did see Goldwire out there at the end, though.

rjg129
October 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I predict

temps in the high 30s
lots of costumes
lots alcohol
30k+ fans
poster-board signs
playing of hells bells
2 streakers

and ASU by 10

'neers80
October 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
can we tackle? ... if we can we win by 10+ ... if we can't it might be a tough night for the apps. but woff is playing at the rock at night- and to say wofford will win by double digits is ludicrous ... we haven't lost by more than 10 at home since was FOREVER ago

jus10asu
October 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
This is OUR HOUSE!!! APPS by 14, the rock is gonna be CRAZY!!!

Mntneer
October 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Wofford scares me. But hopefully The Rock will be totally insane, and help to put us over the top. I couldn't care less by how much as long as it's a W.

Appstate29
October 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Wofford scares me too, but I think the Halloween mo-jo will be too much, the only time they've played in front of a crowd like this is USC! 30k plus! ASU by 10 go APP!

beauvighn
October 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Appy will win 134-0. We are not worthy to share the field with this juggernaut. xbowx xbowx xbowx . We are small and undersized up front. xnodx Our defense is slow and just not very talented. xnodx .Superman (AE) will don his halloween cape and soar for 300 rushing and passing. We do not have enough players with dreadlocks to compete with this fine Institute of higher learning. :D

If it's all the same though, we would like to come on up anyway since ESPN has gone to all the trouble of airing the game. Who knows, maybe The Terriers will find some Kryptonite. xsmiley_wix

Appstate29
October 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Appy will win 134-0. We are not worthy to share the field with this juggernaut. xbowx xbowx xbowx . We are small and undersized up front. xnodx Our defense is slow and just not very talented. xnodx .Superman (AE) will don his halloween cape and soar for 300 rushing and passing. We do not have enough players with dreadlocks to compete with this fine Institute of higher learning. :D

If it's all the same though, we would like to come on up anyway since ESPN has gone to all the trouble of airing the game. Who knows, maybe The Terriers will find some Kryptonite. xsmiley_wix

First Wofford fan that has an ounce of common sense! xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
October 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Wofford wins this game. Furman, who has struggled running the ball all season, put 207 rushing yards and two scores on the Apps today in Boone. Wofford has a better offense and a much better running game than the Paladins.

I think a team can only play so many emotional games in a row before they have a down week. ASU went to the wire against both GSU and Furman. Wofford by 10.

Appstate29
October 25th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Wofford wins this game. Furman, who has struggled running the ball all season, put 207 rushing yards and two scores on the Apps today in Boone. Wofford has a better offense and a much better running game than the Paladins.

I think a team can only play so many emotional games in a row before they have a down week. ASU went to the wire against both GSU and Furman. Wofford by 10.

I don't think Woffords run game and Furmans run game are the same though. They are totally different run games and I think our defense will do a much getter job against WoCo

PaladinFan
October 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I don't think Woffords run game and Furmans run game are the same though. They are totally different run games and I think our defense will do a much getter job against WoCo

Why? Their running game is more dangerous because their quarterback totes the ball. Ours doesn't.

Tersoo Uhaa, for instance, is a true freshman fullback and he gained nearly 6 yards a carry on 17 attempts. Mike Brown averaged 5.5 ypc on 15.

Can ASU stop a running game? Sure. Did they today? Not close.

appstate38
October 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
The way some are sounding here, it seems like all Wofford has to do is show up. We still have one of the top offenses in the SoCon and Wofford will have to defend alot of weapons. I don't think they can. Our D was much better today forcing turnovers and making some big stops. Special teams was way better today. Its not like Wofford slowed ASU down last year. Looking for a good game Absolutely.

Appstate29
October 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Why? Their running game is more dangerous because their quarterback totes the ball. Ours doesn't.

Tersoo Uhaa, for instance, is a true freshman fullback and he gained nearly 6 yards a carry on 17 attempts. Mike Brown averaged 5.5 ypc on 15.

Can ASU stop a running game? Sure. Did they today? Not close.

Exactly. Furmans game is predicated on Power, WoCo is more speed. Our defense is designed to stop speed, not power.

T-Dog
October 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
This should have more predictions than score and tempo of the game.

-How many streakers will they're be?
-How many times will the announcers mention the transfers (in this case, App St has Radford, transfer from VaTech, and that's the only one I believe)
-How dumb will the sideline reporter be? And how much will we not care at her intellect? xthumbsupx
-What will be the most popular costume in the stands?
-How confused will the announcers be by the Wofford wishbone?
-How many times will Michigan be mentioned?
-How long will the interview with the big-time college coach during the game last?
-How many times will Texas/Texas Tech be hyped?

appstate38
October 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM

Can ASU stop a running game? Sure. Did they today? YES.

Scoreboard says otherwise. 14 points will not get it done. Yeah you ran for some good yards but turnovers killed you.

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Scoreboard says otherwise. 14 points will not get it done. Yeah you ran for some good yards but turnovers killed you.

Two turnovers inside the 10 killed us. That's fourteen points left off the board. Couple that with the two other turnovers in App territory and you could be looking at a different game. Furman has had fumble problems all season. We did the same thing against Elon.

Point being, Furman was able to control the clock, move the ball on the ground, and keep Armanti Edwards on the sideline. If Wofford can do the same (and there's no real reason to think they can't), they have a very good shot at winning.

proasu89
October 26th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I predict

temps in the high 30s
lots of costumes
lots alcohol
30k+ fans
poster-board signs
playing of hells bells
2 streakers

and ASU by 10

You and who else? :D

proasu89
October 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM

-How many times will the announcers mention the transfers (in this case, App St has Radford, transfer from VaTech, and that's the only one I believe)
-How dumb will the sideline reporter be? And how much will we not care at her intellect? xthumbsupx
-How long will the interview with the big-time college coach during the game last?

You only left out the Heisman discussion. Good breakdown.

appst97
October 26th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Two turnovers inside the 10 killed us. That's fourteen points left off the board. Couple that with the two other turnovers in App territory and you could be looking at a different game. Furman has had fumble problems all season. We did the same thing against Elon.

Point being, Furman was able to control the clock, move the ball on the ground, and keep Armanti Edwards on the sideline. If Wofford can do the same (and there's no real reason to think they can't), they have a very good shot at winning.

People seem to forget (to mention) the 7 pts App giftwrapped for FU with the errant snap that took App from a 'certain' 7 points and handed them to FU....

WOCO has 300 yds on the ground, App still wins

OldFootballGuy
October 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM

I think it's Wofford in a blowout. ASU was absolutely manhandled on the line of scrimmage yesterday and Wofford has a much better ground game than Furman. I've only seen ASU play twice this year, but based on that, I think Wofford puts up somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 yards on the ground. Ayers is a good coach, but he will run the score up if he gets a chance. I think he'll get that chance.

I predict a lot of scoring because I don't think Wofford can completely shut ASU down, but they won't have to.

Wofford 56 ASU 31

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Offensively no one outside of USC has stopped us. GSU did the best with a couple goal line stands but we were still able to move the ball really well. If Furman controlled the LOS than App could be in trouble against the best OL in the conference.

Defensively Armanti might kill us. We've had trouble all year of over rushing the QB gift wrapping 20 yards for rush. If we can fix this I think we will do fine.

boonegoon
October 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I think it's Wofford in a blowout. ASU was absolutely manhandled on the line of scrimmage yesterday and Wofford has a much better ground game than Furman. I've only seen ASU play twice this year, but based on that, I think Wofford puts up somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 yards on the ground. Ayers is a good coach, but he will run the score up if he gets a chance. I think he'll get that chance.

I predict a lot of scoring because I don't think Wofford can completely shut ASU down, but they won't have to.

Wofford 56 ASU 31

I don't think Wofford can score that many points. Yes, they have a great runinng game but it took 3 ints against Elon to get those points yesterday. It will be high scoring but by both teams holding serve. Last team with the ball has a chance. Hope it's App.

appst97
October 26th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Wofford 56 ASU 31

WOW, they're not in Rhodes stadium anymore TOTO

LehighFan11
October 26th, 2008, 08:28 AM
This is going to be a great game on a big time stage. Wofford maybe the better team from what we have seen this year, but I have a feeling the 3 time champs are going to put up one big fight at home. Look for Wofford's offense to expolde early and take a 31-17 lead at half. App D's will come up with a timely turnover or D stand late 3rd. Armanti scores 2 late rushing Td's. App 42-41. Armanti 200+ rushing. Wofford 400+ rushing.

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I don't think Wofford can score that many points. Yes, they have a great runinng game but it took 3 ints against Elon to get those points yesterday. It will be high scoring but by both teams holding serve. Last team with the ball has a chance. Hope it's App.

Good point but that's what I call "Wofford defense" because our D isn't the kind to make the other team go 3 and out every time. Our team thrives on forcing TOs, not turning the ball over, sacking, and not getting sacked. (we lead the conference in TO margin, sacks (if not per game), and sacks allowed(only one against USC). Wofford will force some turnovers on friday night and just might get to Armanti 1 or 2 times but he'll still have an honest amount of rushing yards

RazorEdge19
October 26th, 2008, 09:31 AM
This is going to be a great game on a big time stage. Wofford maybe the better team from what we have seen this year, but I have a feeling the 3 time champs are going to put up one big fight at home. Look for Wofford's offense to expolde early and take a 31-17 lead at half. App D's will come up with a timely turnover or D stand late 3rd. Armanti scores 2 late rushing Td's. App 42-41. Armanti 200+ rushing. Wofford 400+ rushing.

In two games against Wofford in his career, Armanti has not had 200+ rushing. What makes you think he'll somehow start now? Wofford allowed 62 total rushing yards at Elon, you really think that much has changed that Armanti will run free?

LehighFan11
October 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
In two games against Wofford in his career, Armanti has not had 200+ rushing. What makes you think he'll somehow start now? Wofford allowed 62 total rushing yards at Elon, you really think that much has changed that Armanti will run free?

Well Wofford didn't face a healthy Armanit last year. Armanti is a big game player and he will do whatever he needs to do to win. Typically in the reg season he throws the ball and that is good enough to win. However, in the playoffs he is forced to use his legs more. I see this as a big time playoff type atmosphere and when Armanti looks at the score board in the 3rd and sees they are down by 14, he will bust out.

Appguy
October 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
whatever the score this is a great game to showcase on espn 2 for everyone to watch while giving out candy.

Edge316007
October 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, Furman did play much better than App probably would have liked/expected but it's a rivalry game against a team that's on the ropes. It came a week before the biggest game of the year. If we've learned anything from App this year it's that they are a much different team week to week.

In any case, I doubt this will be a blow out either way (and that 56-31 score is laughable).

Lastly, it's a damn shame JMU had to go and pull a win out of their ass to prevent this game from being #1 vs. #2.

ericsaid
October 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Robert Welton is coming back this week and had he been in the Furman game App wouldn't have had such trouble running the ball. Devin Radford isn't a bust through the line guy like Welton and that's what App needed.

Brian Quick will break out this game. but hopefully this game ends in a way that no ones expecting with App finishing Wofford off quick(which won't happen). But it all depends on how long Wofford holds on to the ball and if Wofford can make some long drive occur App is going to have to score everytime they get the ball.

The run defense should be okay, the gameplan for Furman was to expect more pass plays i'm sure.

RazorEdge19
October 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM
The run defense should be okay, the gameplan for Furman was to expect more pass plays i'm sure.

I remember Elon fans saying the same thing last week. Don't make the same mistake they did... No one is selling App short. They're #2, but they are the next game on the schedule. Last year's ASU team couldn't stop Wofford, and this Wofford offense is MUCH improved from last year.

And, hypothetically, what happens in the rankings if Wofford beats ASU by 10+ at home? (just looking for thoughts, not expecting it to happen.)

uofmman1122
October 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
And, hypothetically, what happens in the rankings if Wofford beats ASU by 10+ at home? (just looking for thoughts, not expecting it to happen.)Wofford would be my #1 in that situation.xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
October 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Its kinda funny to see what is going on here.
1. Wofford has an excellent game and they blow out a team that was supposed to play them close.

2. Furman loses another game to ASU in the rock and they are just dying for someone, ANYONE to take out the Mountaineers.

Naturally all of the Wofford people will be puffing out their chests and Furman people will be hating (because thats what Furman people do...) but anyone thinking that Wofford will come to Boone and blow ASU out is in for a rude awakening.

I'm not saying they can't win, but I don't think they will. If you look at the common teams we've played, they look fairly equal.

GSU: Both 1 point wins at Paulson
Presby: Both strong performances (ASU 48 - Hose 14 ; Wofford 38 - Hose 21)
SEC: Both scored 13 points on their respective SEC team (ASU gave up more points to a better offense, Wofford stayed closer in score, but to a less impressive team)

I just don't understand how any reasonable person will suddenly say now "Forget how Wofford has played over the course of the season and only concentrate on how well we did against Elon. Then extrapolate that isolated performance to the ASU game this Friday, all the while assuming that ASU and Elon are identical, in order to predict a Wofford blowout.

This will be a close game between two well matched opponents. Overall, I think ASU will walk away with a win, and Wofford will be left trying to claim a moral victory (just like Furman).

For complete disclosure, I hope that Wofford spends this entire week believing that they can't lose. Let them think they will put up 50 points and run all over our "suspect defense". That can only play in ASU's favor.

RazorEdge19
October 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
1. Wofford has an excellent game and they blow out a team that was supposed to play them close.

2. Furman loses another game to ASU in the rock and they are just dying for someone, ANYONE to take out the Mountaineers.

Naturally all of the Wofford people will be puffing out their chests and Furman people will be hating (because thats what Furman people do...) but anyone thinking that Wofford will come to Boone and blow ASU out is in for a rude awakening.

I'm not saying they can't win, but I don't think they will. If you look at the common teams we've played, they look fairly equal.

SEC: Both scored 13 points on their respective SEC team (ASU gave up more points to a better offense, Wofford stayed closer in score, but to a less impressive team)

I just don't understand how any reasonable person will suddenly say now "Forget how Wofford has played over the course of the season and only concentrate on how well we did against Elon. Then extrapolate that isolated performance to the ASU game this Friday, all the while assuming that ASU and Elon are identical, in order to predict a Wofford blowout.

This will be a close game between two well matched opponents. Overall, I think ASU will walk away with a win, and Wofford will be left trying to claim a moral victory (just like Furman).

For complete disclosure, I hope that Wofford spends this entire week believing that they can't lose. Let them think they will put up 50 points and run all over our "suspect defense". That can only play in ASU's favor.

I have yet to see a Wofford fan say this game is going to be a blow out. Its not going to be. The Rock is a different animal.

apppackdad
October 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Obviously this will be a close, championship atmosphere game. Anyone picking the likes of 56-31 needs to walk away from the Halloween kool aid!We all pretty much understand,the type of game each team favors. We KNOW that ESPN will F#^%^ up about 4 times and the refs 3. App really needs to minimize the special team problems and limit penalties. My prediction: App 35-31,hopefully with either Erin Andrews or Stacy Dale as sideline reporter in the Elvira costume!xsmiley_wix xwhistlex xwhistlex :D

AlphaSigMD
October 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I have yet to see a Wofford fan say this game is going to be a blow out. Its not going to be. The Rock is a different animal.

I think any prediction of double digit victory at ASU would be a blowout. You yourself suggested it in a previous post.

The last time ASU lost by double digits at home was in the 1999, and the team that did it subsequently had 196 NCAA infractions for cheating and was stripped of several titles.

The last time ASU lost at home by 10+ during the regular season was 1997, and that team no longer fields a football team.

So accomplishing a feat done 2 times in the last 11 years, and only once in the regular season, would be to me a blowout. It's just not that likely to happen.

But even if it did, would you really want the bad FAMU and ETSU mojo to fall on Wofford in the subsquent seasons? xsmiley_wix You got us by 11 last year, in Wofford without AE. Considering he just had the worst game of his career, I'd be afraid...very afraid... of what awaits you on halloween.

The Rock always wins.

RazorEdge19
October 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I think any prediction of double digit victory at ASU would be a blowout. You yourself suggested it in a previous post.

The last time ASU lost by double digits at home was in the 1999, and the team that did it subsequently had 196 NCAA infractions for cheating and was stripped of several titles.

The last time ASU lost at home by 10+ during the regular season was 1997, and that team no longer fields a football team.

So accomplishing a feat done 2 times in the last 11 years, and only once in the regular season, would be to me a blowout. It's just not that likely to happen.

But even if it did, would you really want the bad FAMU and ETSU mojo to fall on Wofford in the subsquent seasons? xsmiley_wix You got us by 11 last year, in Wofford without AE. Considering he just had the worst game of his career, I'd be afraid...very afraid... of what awaits you on halloween.

The Rock always wins.

I asked a hypothetical question, and then followed it by saying I don't think a double digit victory is going to happen. I just want it to be a good game.

KiddBrewer
October 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM
on a different note.............

Friday Night........low of 33, and clear......

BUNDLE UP!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/wxdetail/28607?dayNum=5

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Wait a second USC loses to LSU by a TD and they're all of a sudden less impressive? We scored 13 points on the best defense in the Nation. It took 58 minutes for them to put us away. ASU was put away by half time. Don't tear down how good of an accomplishment it was to play USC as well as we did.

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
People seem to forget (to mention) the 7 pts App giftwrapped for FU with the errant snap that took App from a 'certain' 7 points and handed them to FU....

WOCO has 300 yds on the ground, App still wins

As opposed to the two gift wrapped turnovers inside the 10?

appstate38
October 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Gift wrapped??? Was it our job or your job to hold on the football??? Don't cry sour grapes because you guys can't get it done. xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

appstate38
October 26th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Wofford 56 ASU 31

It official.... Stupid post of the weekxnonox xnonox xnonox

Seen App play twice and he thinks that qualifies to give a good opinion on ASU. I wonder genius... How many times have you seen Wofford play to come up with such an assessment??? Unreal!!!

Edge316007
October 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM

I never understood this line of thinking. So it didn't take any skill for App to strip the ball and come up with the fumble? It's not as if they hiked the ball without the QB looking. That's a gift-wrap. Stripping the ball is not.

alexale23
October 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I predict the WAFFLE

apppackdad
October 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM
If you do this one year it's an accident; two years it's a problem;three years it's a trend; for a decade it's a part of who you are. F+tR=RZT. Furman plus the Rock equals Red Zone Turnover Ol' Football Guy and Paladin Fan. Wofford doesn't suffer from this psychological baggage so it's still 35-31 APP becuse Jerry won't even try to kick a field goal and the App D will Hold Wofford and force one.

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I predict the WAFFLE

Alex, the Waffle is not going to be eaten in Boone! xthumbsupx

GO WAFFLEFORD! :)

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Well, I sold my Terriers woefully short in predicting a loss to Elon. I'm not going to sell them short again. ASU is a great team. The T-Dogs will not be able to stop their offense, so put that thought away. We can only hope to slow them enough to win, just like we did last year. But Wofford has been playing so lights out lately that it's hard to go against them, even at The Rock. Yes, their will be a huge crowd there. Yes, they will be loud and obnoxious, probably louder than USC was (USC fans were not really into the Wofford game like ASU will be). But Wofford is not going to be the least bit intimidated by The Rock. I say that if Wofford doesn't turn the ball over at all, the way their offense is clicking on all cylinders, they should be able to win. But if we start fumbling, no way we win. But I have faith that we will get the job done. We are playing so well right now...Wofford 42, ASU 35.

appfan2008
October 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Friday is looking scary to me for more reasons than it just being halloween... that option offense for wofford is not good for us...

HighRyder08
October 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
ASU will be fine.... Prime time on ESPN 2, sold out crowd on Halloween night. The boys will be ready... Im calling 31-17 ASU

ERASU2113
October 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
This is a game that will be won by whoever has the ball last.

Great way for the FCS to be showcased....on national TV....even though it's ESPN2 :D

Saint3333
October 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Furman ran the ball well in the second quarter. ASU made adjustments and got up by two scores against Furman forcing them to throw.

The key for ASU will be jumping on Wofford early. It's Halloween, for a Friday night game with 30,000 crazy fans dressed as God knows what. Who knows what's going to happen in this one.xeekx

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Halloween is going to be very scary indeed...for ASU.

I know, I know, lamest, most cliched post of the year. But who cares?

Ivytalk
October 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm picking Wofford. The Elon game made a believer out of me...and I'm not even a Methodist!

ncman071
October 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
APP 38

Wofford 32

APPStrongNC
October 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
my call.
this is going to be a barnburner.
can not wait for Friday.

GO APP...
I know, homer here...
;)

apaladin
October 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
ASU will be fine.... Prime time on ESPN 2, sold out crowd on Halloween night. The boys will be ready... Im calling 31-17 ASU

Remember these type of games when you are relegated to those Tuesday night games that nobody watches or cares abouts when you guys move on up.

WOCO
October 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Maybe this will help to fill you in on the offense.

National Ranking
Rushing: 2nd
Total offense: 3rd
Scoring offense: 4th
Sacks allowed: 1st
Turnover Margin: 1st

The part that makes them different and so dangerous compared to last year is the fact that even though we don't pass very much, Wofford is number 2 in the nation in passing efficiency. That is what keeps the linebackers and dbs from crowding the line this year and running to the pitch. If you watched the elon game, you'll see that they are just standing there trying to figure out what is happening. Wofford is playing chess with the offense as opposed to checkers last year!!!

terrierbob
October 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Seen App play twice and he thinks that qualifies to give a good opinion on ASU. I wonder genius... How many times have you seen Wofford play to come up with such an assessment??? Unreal!!!

xnodx

terrierbob
October 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
It's Appalachian State. It's in their house. We beat them last year.

Get real, for God's sake.

I hope we can win. It sure as hell won't be a blow out either way (I hope).

Eaglegus2
October 26th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Having seen both Teams play Georgia Southern very close (1 point defeat by both), it will be a hard fought game. I give App State the advantage at The Rock. AE will need for his wr's to make the same great catches they did at Paulson.

Wofford will need to move the chains with their run game. Ayers is a riverboat gambler. he will take risks that most coaches won't.

The winner will win by a score of 35 - 34.

Wofford

james_lawfirm
October 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
First Wofford fan that has an ounce of common sense! xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

That's not what I was going to say. However, he does have the best avatar ever in the history of the web.

ASUMountaineer
October 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
No prediction. I'm still trying to figure out what to be for Halloween at the game...maybe Bobby Lamb? xlolx

Peems
October 26th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Half of me wants to waste the ultimate Friday night party and watch this game, while the other part says "you're insane!!!" I'll definitely record this game, and whoever posted the stat of least sacks allowed...c'mon it's not like Wofford gives the D an opportunity to sack em!!!

WOCO
October 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Half of me wants to waste the ultimate Friday night party and watch this game, while the other part says "you're insane!!!" I'll definitely record this game, and whoever posted the stat of least sacks allowed...c'mon it's not like Wofford gives the D an opportunity to sack em!!!

The point of the sack stat is that you don't get the opportunity to to get negative plays on Wofford to stop drives and when Wofford does pass, it really hurts the other team.

matfu
October 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Wofford by at least 14. i don't think it will be close.

T-Dog
October 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
No prediction. I'm still trying to figure out what to be for Halloween at the game...maybe Bobby Lamb? xlolx

If you do dress up as Bobby Lamb, you have to run on the field all ticked off so we can yell "Get off the field Bobby!" xlolx

KiddBrewer
October 26th, 2008, 11:39 PM
if anybody needs any costume ideas.......Deliverance is currently showing on CMT.

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2008, 06:34 AM
If you do dress up as Bobby Lamb, you have to run on the field all ticked off so we can yell "Get off the field Bobby!" xlolx

You know it!!

The Cats
October 27th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I know this will be taken as smack from our "friends" across the NC mountains..... but I think Wofford will take it to the mountaineers like no one else has this year.

I think the Terriers could win by as much as 3 touchdowns..... xwhistlex

elon77
October 27th, 2008, 07:22 AM

They always talk about where they have eaten before the game. Where do you suppose that will be? And will they have some moonshine while in Boone? xthumbsupx

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I have forgotten who won the last 3 national titles?

I dont think a single non app fan has even given us a shot...

AppStsGr8
October 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM
The numerous injuries at key positions will continue to hurt App. It seems like every game App's adjsuting to a new setup of players because another is out.
App's still got too many "unfocused" penalties (false starts, snap infractions ... or snap-fus, holding)
The Rock can be a huge advantage if the Hallowe'en crowd is paying more attention to football than to drunken dress-up.
App will definitely need to play all 4 quarters. Unlike the raffle at your local elementary school, SoCon football games come with a "Must Be Present To Win" notation.
Special teams are still an issue for App ... missed PAT at home in the sunshine???? Return coverage seems to have improved some.

Bottom line - whoever plays ALL 4 quarters with fewest stupid mistakes wins. Game could be a shootout - hopefully, not a blowout. App wins by 3.

OldFootballGuy
October 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM

I've seen Wofford play a couple of times as well, and I was watching/playing/coaching football long before you ever thought it would be cool to be an arrogant message board punk.

Forgive me, please, for offending your delicate sensiblilities. The thread title implied that this was a place to post analysis and make a prediction. I didn't realize it had to be cleared by you first.

I may be wrong; it won't be the first or the last time; but ASU looks very weak against the run to me. ASU's speed on defense may work against them too because they tend to overpursue a lot. Wofford will exploit those weaknesses over and over. ASU will get their points and yards as well, but they are much more likely to shoot themselves in the foot. Wofford is a much more disciplined team not prone to making mistakes in crucial situations.

Next time I promise, your highness, that I will seek your approval before posting any observation that may not be entirely laudatory of St. Yosef.

elon77
October 27th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Can Wofford come into NC two straight weeks and play two great games? If they can they will( as I have seen) be mighty tough. If they are off on their game a little I think ASU wins.

ASU Tailgaiteer
October 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Our defense was our weakness last year and Wofford exploited it. Special Teams was iffy in the playoffs, so neither of these weaknesses are new.

It amazes me that the Apps continue to win these close games.

On the flip side, we still had a chance late last year, even though Armanti was not at 100% before he was knocked out of the game.

With that said, we'll need to force some turnovers and limit special teams mistakes. Missed XP's will cost you a game eventually. Wofford will also have to re-generate the energy that they brought against Elon, six days later.

Apps by 1 (if they make all of their XP's)

Woof
October 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
You got us by 11 last year, in Wofford without AE. Considering he just had the worst game of his career, I'd be afraid...very afraid... of what awaits you on halloween.

The Rock always wins.

I have noticed that a lot of the Appy fans like to rationalize last year's loss to us by saying they were "without AE", but I seem to recall AE playing against us last year....at least for a little while... xnodx xnodx

And by the way, you might very well beat us this year, but I would not count on any Mike Ayers team being afraid of anyone, any place or any thing .xnonox xnonox xnonox

Looking forward to a slugfest xthumbsupx xhypedx

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I've seen Wofford play a couple of times as well, and I was watching/playing/coaching football long before you ever thought it would be cool to be an arrogant message board punk.

Forgive me, please, for offending your delicate sensiblilities. The thread title implied that this was a place to post analysis and make a prediction. I didn't realize it had to be cleared by you first.

I may be wrong; it won't be the first or the last time; but ASU looks very weak against the run to me. ASU's speed on defense may work against them too because they tend to overpursue a lot. Wofford will exploit those weaknesses over and over. ASU will get their points and yards as well, but they are much more likely to shoot themselves in the foot. Wofford is a much more disciplined team not prone to making mistakes in crucial situations.

Next time I promise, your highness, that I will seek your approval before posting any observation that may not be entirely laudatory of St. Yosef.

You don't have to seek my approval for a single thing. I just love how you and many others believe the Woffs have no weaknesses yet the Apps are full of them. Another poster on here was spouting about all of Wofford's ranking on offense. Yet they haven't mentioned a thing about the D. You guys aren't presenting a complete picture of the T-dogs. They will still have to play defense against a very potent offense. A fact many have seemed to forgotten.

P.S. If you can't take some board smack talk then maybe you are the one with the delicate sensiblities. Welcome to AGS.xbowx

ASU Tailgaiteer
October 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Maybe this will help to fill you in on the offense.

National Ranking
Rushing: 2nd
Total offense: 3rd
Scoring offense: 4th
Sacks allowed: 1st
Turnover Margin: 1st

The part that makes them different and so dangerous compared to last year is the fact that even though we don't pass very much, Wofford is number 2 in the nation in passing efficiency. That is what keeps the linebackers and dbs from crowding the line this year and running to the pitch. If you watched the elon game, you'll see that they are just standing there trying to figure out what is happening. Wofford is playing chess with the offense as opposed to checkers last year!!!

Last year, the Wofford passing game killed us. There weren't many passes thrown, but each came at a critical juncture and extended the Wofford drive. It was the perfect mix to the run-oriented offense. Excellent play-calling and execution fueled the victory.

ASU Tailgaiteer
October 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I have noticed that a lot of the Appy fans like to rationalize last year's loss to us by saying they were "without AE", but I seem to recall AE playing against us last year....at least for a little while... xnodx xnodx

Let's just hope the your selective memory has your preparing for the AE that you saw last year. He was obviously hurt.

Not taking anything away from your victory last year, but you might want to leave the rose-colored glasses on the nightstand Friday night!xsmiley_wix

OldFootballGuy
October 27th, 2008, 08:30 AM
You don't have to seek my approval for a single thing. I just love how you and many others believe the Woffs have no weaknesses yet the Apps are full of them. Another poster on here was spouting about all of Wofford's ranking on offense. Yet they haven't mentioned a thing about the D. You guys aren't presenting a complete picture of the T-dogs. They will still have to play defense against a very potent offense. A fact many have seemed to forgotten.

P.S. If you can't take some board smack talk then maybe you are the one with the delicate sensiblities. Welcome to AGS.xbowx

P.P.S. Is this the smack folder?

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Is this the smack folder?

No man, relax.... You didn't give as good an explanation like in the follow up post for your reasons. Got to take a little heat for unsupported statements from the outset. Back on topic... What about the D???

Woof
October 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=ASU Tailgaiteer;1174838]Let's just hope the your selective memory has your preparing for the AE that you saw last year. He was obviously hurt.

Yep, I watched them help him off the field after taking a few shots from our so-called ankle biters....maybe it was the rose colored glasses that helped us see him better xthumbsupx

Seriously though, I hope both teams are healthy and both bring their "A" games....should be a fun one to watch.

I have already volunteered to stay at the house to "pass out candy" while my wife takes the little ones trick or treating....I am thinking a big bowl of candy on the porch and sign on the front door that says "Game in Progress....Do Not Disturb" should do the trick xnodx xnodx xnodx

HiHiYikas
October 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'm just glad nobody's pulled out the "we have a team, ASU has individual players" BS this season.

It's the only mentality dumber than the "we win all the time, but we're still underdogs" garbage.

Looks likes these teams are pretty evenly matched, with last week's contests making Wofford look stronger at the moment.

I'm glad to know that, this season, ASU's players won't be overheated and dehydrated on the sidelines, AE won't be 60%, and the Mountaineers won't be in South Carolina. Those factors created a tangible disadvantage for ASU, making what should have been a 3-point Wofford win (or could have been a 3-point ASU win) an 11-point Wofford win. I don't want to be one of those guys who blames the whole loss on those kinds of factors. Wofford certainly outplayed ASU last year. But those other things count for something.

Friday's too close to call for me. That my level of anxiety is equal to ASU-Furman '06, ASU-YSU in the 06 semis, and ASU-UR in the 07 semis makes me want to pick ASU. I'm not so sure that coaches Moore and Ayers will take my anxiety level into consideration, though.

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2008, 08:50 AM
The good news for both Wofford and ASU is that a loss in this game will not keep that team out of the playoffs. Subsequent losses may, but this loss will not. ASU lost to Wofford last year and we still won the NC. So, losing this game will not prevent ASU a chance for four, nor would a loss to Wofford prevent a chance to make the playoffs.

We're not the same team we were last year, so to expect more of the same would not be smart game planning. Most would agree we are not as good as last year, but we are still the #2 team (at least for now) in the country. We'll see what happens, should be a good game.

I see ASU coming out slow and Wofford coming out firing. The two teams will settle in and ASU will make it a dog fight. I can see JM and Scott dialing up some trick plays, maybe even lining up under center (wait, that won't happen :)).

Anyways, here's to hoping no one gets hurt and any WoCo fans who want to head up into Rivers St. parking deck I'll have a drink for you. Hit me up on PM.

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I'm just glad nobody's pulled out the "we have a team, ASU has individual players" BS this season.

It's the only mentality dumber than the "we win all the time, but we're still underdogs" garbage.

Looks likes these teams are pretty evenly matched, with last week's contests making Wofford look stronger at the moment.

I'm glad to know that, this season, ASU's players won't be overheated and dehydrated on the sidelines, AE won't be 60%, and the Mountaineers won't be in South Carolina. Those factors created a tangible disadvantage for ASU, making what should have been a 3-point Wofford win (or could have been a 3-point ASU win) an 11-point Wofford win. I don't want to be one of those guys who blames the whole loss on those kinds of factors. Wofford certainly outplayed ASU last year. But those other things count for something.

Friday's too close to call for me. That my level of anxiety is equal to ASU-Furman '06, ASU-YSU in the 06 semis, and ASU-UR in the 07 semis makes me want to pick ASU. I'm not so sure that coaches Moore and Ayers will take my anxiety level into consideration, though.

All those games turned out pretty good for us. They will rise to the challenge. Playing at home is always an advantage

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
This year's edition of the Mountaineers is certainly not of the caliber we've seen over the last three years. Perhaps the losses to graduation have hurt us more than we thought it would this year. There's a lot of youth and inexperience in some key areas, and that has evidenced itself on the field, particularly in special teams.

But each week, the Apps are getting better. Special teams has improved, especially the kick coverage game. I'm hopeful that this trend of improvement continues. At this point in the season last year, I was not confident in ASU's chances at a 3rd title, but the Mountaineers hit their stride late and Appsolutely rolled through the playoffs and the title game.

It would be foolish not to give appropriate credit to Wofford-- they are playing excellent, disciplined football right now. But those who think Wofford is going to blow out Appalachian by double digits are engaging in some wishful thinking.

Yes, it could happen, but it's not likely.

It is the Rock. On the rare occasions ASU loses at home, it's not by much. It's also a big-time, nationally televised game. App has played in several of those recently (and fared very well), Wofford has not. App has enough players who have been in this situation and met the challenge.

I think the key "intangible" to this game is how Wofford as a team handles the atmoshpere of the game. I think this is arguably the biggest game on the biggest stage Wofford has played in since joining the conference. How will they react?

To be fair, App has come out flat a few times this year. It will be up to those upperclassmen players to provide the kind of leadership necessary to bring the underclassmen into a big game frame of mind.

I think Appalachian survives a Halloween scare to win a close one, but could easily go the other way. This is the game for the SoCon championship.

terrierbob
October 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Our biggest weakness, still, is special teams. We gave Elon a short field at times. We'd seemed to be improving, but had mental lapses. Ayers was pissed during the post-game interview; I liked it. We're using a new punter. Hope he works out. Our defense is improving against both the run and pass. It SHOULD be a great game.

Rekdiver
October 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Simple objective observations:

ASU is still looking for answers.
Wofford had found their answers.

I see a bit of panic with ASU.
I see old ASU confidence at Wofford.

Wofford got to rest some starters against Elon.
ASU held on for dear life against Furman.

ASU must play its most diciplined game of the season to beat Wofford.

Wofford must hold onto the football.

Wofford won't change anything about their gameplan from last year.

Time for ASU student tryouts for a kicker to kick the ball into the end zone.

Both are playoff teams, but right now the nod goes to Wofford.

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I know this will be taken as smack from our "friends" across the NC mountains..... but I think Wofford will take it to the mountaineers like no one else has this year.

I think the Terriers could win by as much as 3 touchdowns..... xwhistlex

That's cool, I don't take as smack as much as I take it as wishful thinking. It's ok though. They very well may beat us by 3 touchdowns. If so, we still have a good chance of making the playoffs and that's what's important.

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I disagree Rekdiver

While the Apps still may have some problem areas they have found ways to use more people in the offense. They have used better play calling to get more people involved. That alone makes the offense better. Wofford is a very good football team but I think they will struggle against our offense. The key for the defense will be if the d-line can disrupt the Wofford offense enough to keep them out of short yardage situations. Yes they will probably still have some success on the ground but if we can get them into 2 & 8 or 3 & 5 situations then we can limit(hopefully) the use of the fullback in that running game. If the Woff O has alot of 3 yards or less opportunities to get first downs then it may be a long night for the defense.

appmaj
October 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM

All good questions. I think the most annoying one will be the Texas/Texas Tech Hype. Mack Brown will be the call in coach (former App State Coach).
Does anyone know who the TV crew will be yet?

BTW-ASU 41 Puppies 30

HighRyder08
October 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Simple objective observations:

ASU is still looking for answers.
Wofford had found their answers.

I see a bit of panic with ASU.
I see old ASU confidence at Wofford.

Wofford got to rest some starters against Elon.
ASU held on for dear life against Furman.

ASU must play its most diciplined game of the season to beat Wofford.

Wofford must hold onto the football.

Wofford won't change anything about their gameplan from last year.

Time for ASU student tryouts for a kicker to kick the ball into the end zone.

Both are playoff teams, but right now the nod goes to Wofford.

I disagree.... I dont think ASU is panicking at all... The team knows what they need to do to win. I think BOTH teams still have some answers they are looking for in areas and are hoping this game will reveal those. It will be a close one but ASU knows what they need to do to get the job done.

terrierbob
October 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Love our OL. 1st one that averages over 300 lbs. Can't be good for their hearts, though. Wonder what the BMI is.

biggie
October 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Just hoping Radford and Welton are healthy for this week.

And hope the crowd is into it. Should be a few more students than normal I would think. Seems a lot of SRO(grass) tickets are still available.

CrackerRiley
October 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I think it will be a close game. maybe not a shootout like some people are thinking it will be, but scores in the 30s. My heart is racing just thinking about this game. I really hope our crowd will really get into this game. Hopefully they can stand the temperatures and not leave the game if it becomes more than 1 score at any point in the game... like last week.

I'm pumped.

MountainMan
October 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I just don't understand this mentality that this years ASU team is much worse than last years team. If I remember correctly we were all very concerned at this point of the season a year ago. We couldn't stop the run, the O-Line was banged up and making mistakes, and of course AE was less than 100%. We went 1-2 against Wofford, GSU, and Furman last year and we had to wait for other teams to help us out to tie for the SoCon.

This year we are 2-0 vs GSU and FU with Wofford coming up this week. I think most would agree that GSU as a team is much improved as well as Furman. Wofford I don't really know. They were good enough to tie for the SoCon last year so it is hard to say they have improved this year. They have exploded on offense in the past 3 weeks but two of those games were against the 2 worst teams in the SoCon. Elon has a very strong passing attack but I think Wofford exposed Elon for what they are. A good passing team with average run game and an average defense.

Our defense has been pretty good against the run up until this week (except for LSU of course). The Wofford attack has always given ASU trouble so I'm sure they will move the ball and score a good bit. I don't think WOCO will see the huge holes in our D that they did last year though. My main concern with Wofford is that they will run, run, run and then hit our young safeties for a big pass play. That to me will be the key to this game. Both teams have less than stellar Special Teams and both defenses give up yards and rely on big plays to stop the other team.

I think Armanti will be able to keep the ASU offense just one step ahead of the Wofford offense in a very exciting game on Halloween. Should be a fun one to watch.

HighRyder08
October 27th, 2008, 11:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQQONgG3Y4

just wanted everyone to see what happened when people were doubting ASU when Richmond came into town.... ITS GOING DOWN FELLAS

94Terrier
October 27th, 2008, 12:04 PM
We're not worthy of coming to Kidd-Brewer and even stepping on the hallowed ground where the Mountaineer's frolick. Hell, we're not even worthy of entering the town limits of Boone. I can't comprehend the idea that this game is still on the schedule. Wofford just needs to go ahead and forfeit as it won't even be a contest. We are soooooo overmatched and King Edwards will have his way against the lowly Terrier defense. We'll be lucky to be able to run to the sidelines, forget cross the line of scrimmage. What were we thinking that this would even be a competitive game? All Hail the 3 time defending national champions.

elcid96
October 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
ASU will lead 35-7 at half and lose the game by 3

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
We're not worthy of coming to Kidd-Brewer and even stepping on the hallowed ground where the Mountaineer's frolick. Hell, we're not even worthy of entering the town limits of Boone. I can't comprehend the idea that this game is still on the schedule. Wofford just needs to go ahead and forfeit as it won't even be a contest. We are soooooo overmatched and King Edwards will have his way against the lowly Terrier defense. We'll be lucky to be able to run to the sidelines, forget cross the line of scrimmage. What were we thinking that this would even be a competitive game? All Hail the 3 time defending national champions.

shutup... take your whining bit*hing and moaning somewhere else... if app fans are giving you no respect well then screw them... i am scared to hell of wofford and their running attack and have so many times on here... this game will come down to the wire and i can only hope we have the talent to pull it out in the end...

RazorEdge19
October 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQQONgG3Y4

just wanted everyone to see what happened when people were doubting ASU when Richmond came into town.... ITS GOING DOWN FELLAS

Not sure if you realize this or not, but '07 doesn't mean jack in '08...

GATA
October 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I just don't understand this mentality that this years ASU team is much worse than last years team. If I remember correctly we were all very concerned at this point of the season a year ago. We couldn't stop the run, the O-Line was banged up and making mistakes, and of course AE was less than 100%. We went 1-2 against Wofford, GSU, and Furman last year and we had to wait for other teams to help us out to tie for the SoCon.

This year we are 2-0 vs GSU and FU with Wofford coming up this week. I think most would agree that GSU as a team is much improved as well as Furman. Wofford I don't really know. They were good enough to tie for the SoCon last year so it is hard to say they have improved this year. They have exploded on offense in the past 3 weeks but two of those games were against the 2 worst teams in the SoCon. Elon has a very strong passing attack but I think Wofford exposed Elon for what they are. A good passing team with average run game and an average defense.

Our defense has been pretty good against the run up until this week (except for LSU of course). The Wofford attack has always given ASU trouble so I'm sure they will move the ball and score a good bit. I don't think WOCO will see the huge holes in our D that they did last year though. My main concern with Wofford is that they will run, run, run and then hit our young safeties for a big pass play. That to me will be the key to this game. Both teams have less than stellar Special Teams and both defenses give up yards and rely on big plays to stop the other team.

I think Armanti will be able to keep the ASU offense just one step ahead of the Wofford offense in a very exciting game on Halloween. Should be a fun one to watch.

I think this years App State team is only slightly worse than last years team. I say that because you don't have Hans Batichan or Dexter Jackson this year to help out Coco Hillary (although your freshmen are pretty good) and you guys don't have Lynch on defense this year.

whoanellie
October 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
JMHO
after viewing (live) our loss to Wofford
I hope for ASU's sake that you bring your A game
it would be very bad for you to lose at home.
people will have their party ruined. The ultimate trick
will be played Friday. Not really. I believe that as custom dictates that if the Host does not deliver a treat for the visitor, bad things are expected.
this should be a great match-up.
AE best player on the field when he is on the field. vs the smartest best faking dominating offense. i would onside opening kick-off to get the ball first.
both defenses are vulnerable.
penalties and turnovers will be the key
what will the refs call and will not call?
crowd could be a factor

HiHiYikas
October 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
There are a handfull of ASU fans who've posted in the Wofford-ASU smack thread that they have nothing but respect for the Wofford program. There's no good reason to feel any other way.

But man, stuff like this totally justifies what little disrespect ASU fans direct towards Wofford folk. Disrespect might not be the right word...pity, maybe?

Like I said on the smack board, Wofford's fan delusion seems to be stuck in reverse.

OLDMAIN80
October 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
1. AE is scary good, we have to contain and not over pursue.
2. The Rock will be wild and I think the wilder the better for Wofford (seems to pump up the little dogs)
3. Any prediction that has Wofford scoring 10,17,24 etc. pts is wrong, we score touchdowns not FGs (cause we don't have a kicker).
4. Inside the 50 means four down territory.
5. Best Wofford team I have seen since the NAIA runner up team in 70.
(I was a young un then).
6. Mike Ayers will have them ready................Wofford by 14.xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
October 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
1. AE is scary good, we have to contain and not over pursue.
2. The Rock will be wild and I think the wilder the better for Wofford (seems to pump up the little dogs)
3. Any prediction that has Wofford scoring 10,17,24 etc. pts is wrong, we score touchdowns not FGs (cause we don't have a kicker).
4. Inside the 50 means four down territory.
5. Best Wofford team I have seen since the NAIA runner up team in 70.
(I was a young un then).
6. Mike Ayers will have them ready................Wofford by 14.xthumbsupx

Old:
In response:
1. Yep.
2. Yep. And, the Mountaineers will be pumped too.
3. Yep.
4. Yep.
5. They certainly destroyed a good Elon team. Other than that, their weak schedule preceeds them to this point. IMO, Furman defends the option well, and I think App will too.
6. Yep. No question Coach Ayers will have the team ready. Same for Coach Moore. Rumors of a blowout for either side are unfounded.

May be the best game ever at KBS. Have you seen the "Let the Terror Begin" t-shirts? Got some this weekend. They are actually laid out such that Wofford fans could buy them too (as I recall). If you're in the Boone Mall, check out the ASU store there.

PM me closer to Thursday if you are going Friday & I'll tell you where we're tailgating. Stop by for a beer or something.

OLDMAIN80
October 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Old:
In response:
1. Yep.
3. Yep.
4. Yep.
5. They certainly destroyed a good Elon team. Other than that, their weak schedule preceeds them to this point. IMO, Furman defends the option well, and I think App will too.
6. Yep. No question Coach Ayers will have the team ready. Same for Coach Moore. Rumors of a blowout for either side are unfounded.

May be the best game ever at KBS. Have you seen the "Let the Terror Begin" t-shirts? Got some this weekend. They are actually laid out such that Wofford fans could buy them too (as I recall). If you're in the Boone Mall, check out the ASU store there.

PM me closer to Thursday if you are going Friday & I'll tell you where we're tailgating. Stop by for a beer or something.

Appreciate the offer but I will have to get a rain check, just can't make the drive from south Alabama for a Friday game, especially with it on ESPN.
Good luck and I look forward to the posts next week.xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
October 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Appreciate the offer but I will have to get a rain check, just can't make the drive from south Alabama for a Friday game, especially with it on ESPN.
Good luck and I look forward to the posts next week.xthumbsupx

Trust me, it will be ALOT more fun in person.

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Any of you Wofford faithful, I have a question.... What can you tell us about your running backs. To be honest I have not seen them and except for the back you guys had last year I don't know anything about them. Spare no details. I want to know who to watch when you guys are on offense.

KiddBrewer
October 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Old:
In response:
1. Yep.
3. Yep.
4. Yep.

xeyebrowx if its the best game ever, over the ones ive seen in the last 6 years............somebody will be carrying me out of the stadium on a stretcher........but who knows............xeekx

WOCO
October 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Any of you Wofford faithful, I have a question.... What can you tell us about your running backs. To be honest I have not seen them and except for the back you guys had last year I don't know anything about them. Spare no details. I want to know who to watch when you guys are on offense.

There are a whole bunch of them. I dont know that there is any "one" to watch for this year like last year. 3 are ranked in the top 100 in the nation in rushing but the leading rusher, Romero, only has 518 yards. 4 individual players have had 100 yard games. It's not like last year. You cant key on #20. Anybody could get you! Happy Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B&G
October 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Wofford has been at least +2 in turnover margin in each of their last five games. If that trend continues they will win. I think Wofford has been the better coached team this season. Those are two big factors in their favor.

I think ASU has the more explosive potential meaning they have the edge in quick strike scores. Looks like App may try to pass the ball a little more as it appears Brian Quick is becoming a force. Ben Jorden is looking like a good receiving TE. And we know CoCo will get his looks.

It's anyone's ballgame. ASU seems to turn on the intensity every other week. And since I think they were a little flat against Furman, I'd have to say ASU is the team that will come out and gain the early advantage. Whether they can hang on to the early lead is the question. In a twist, I'll say App wins by when Wofford misses a PAT.

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM

okay here's how it goes-

Fullbacks- we have three Freshmen that play this position well. Dane Romero will play here sometimes too (that's how he's scored all of his TDs)

Tailbacks-Marshall and Rucker are both very fast Romero is too.

One thing about our Offense this year is that it has wonderful depth. Taking one single player out would not slow production. The only exception would be the QB-Allen isn't as experienced as Widmyer which could affect the way we run the option (he played most of the GSU game for some reason) but he is way faster.We have multiple players that can run more than one position. It seems everyone touches the ball during the game.

If App hopes to beat us they have to keep us under 30 points-I don't know if anyone will do that this year.

Defensively we're better than the stats show. We were banged up early this season and we weren't healthy until Chatty. Our Cbs have greatly improved-a bunch of Elon's receptions were due to them slipping on the wet ground. Expect the defense that's played the last 3 weeks.

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Wofford has been at least +2 in turnover margin in each of their last five games. If that trend continues they will win. I think Wofford has been the better coached team this season. Those are two big factors in their favor.

Not to mention if you throw out the PC game we've only had 2 turnovers! And one of those two were the second strings fault.

apppackdad
October 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I think this App team is finally beginning to mature. They beat Furman even though Furman led all the nonvital statistics. This group reminds me a little of more of the 2005 team than the last two teams.On defense fast aggressive DE's, ditto for LB's, developing young secondary,bend but make enough big plays. On offense, a little more passing ,ala Richie, and quick strike offense, less ball control. I think they are learning that just find a way to win attitude, different weeks different ways. This week they have to some what limit Wofford's opportunites on offense, cut down penalties, improve the kicking game. I look for App to try for some big pass plays and kicking game plays early. If they can get an early lead possibly they can force Wofford out of their comfort zone.

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
IMHO I think it's kind of crazy to predict Wofford to score less than 20 considering in the last 2 years(including this year) we've scored less than 20 points twice against FCS and it was due to our TOs and we show no sign of playing like that this year.

Saint3333
October 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
If App hopes to beat us they have to keep us under 30 points-I don't know if anyone will do that this year.

You don't think ASU can score 30 points?

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
You don't think ASU can score 30 points?

Sure they can but then Wofford scores 31:D

Old Gold and Black
October 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Here is my opinion for what it is worth. Wofford's offense is what everyone has talked about already. I do believe this is the best I have seen from them in long time. We are strong with any of the three options, up the middle, QB or pitch man. As always with the option it is about the defense playing assignment football. I have only seen ASU play twice this year and can't speak to their discipline on the field. The real bonus this year has been our ability to throw the ball. Back when I was in school, there was one season we didn't win a game in which we completed a pass. It is not like we are running the run and shoot, but we have been able to throw the ball down the field with good success and Strickland is a legitimate WR that has to be respected.

Our Defense has been a surprise. Our front seven have been very good at stopping the run and putting pressure on the QB. We have given up a lot of passing yards, but most of this is on underneath routes. The DC has pretty much allowed teams to dink and dunk down the field, and expects the offense to make a mistake because of pressure. So far that has been effective.

My basic analysis is practically the same every year when we play ASU. ASU has more talent and better atheletes. Wofford plays system assignment football. If Wofford plays disicipline and doesn't make mistakes than I believe they win. If the have turnovers or make a lot of penalties, which both are possible given the environment I am sure there will be at the Rock, then I think ASU wins. I just hope Wofford draws on their experience in Montana in the playoffs last year.

beauvighn
October 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM

I will do my best. They are small...but can crap on lightning. They take great pride in blocking, especially cut blocking. Your DB's better wear shin guards because they will be around their knees all night. The FB's are not overly fast but have great vision and run hard. Nobody in the Wofford will outrun anyone on the Appy defense. They will however be satisfied with 5-6 yds per carry. They also will not fumble. Wofford leads the nation with a plus 15 in turnover margin.

Romero is the workhorse #18. Marshall, Rucker , Strickland(on occasion) are the wings. On of your hometown boys Eric Breitenstein(?) from Boone is the back up FB. You will live to regret letting him get out of Boone in the coming years.

WoffDoc04
October 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Here are some numbers to chew on: since our bye following the GSU game, the Terrriers have scored 56, 42, and 55pts...which is 22 TDs. Granted 2 of those games were against the bottom 2 teams in the SoCon, but just humor me. In those 3 games, we have turned it over only once and have punted a mere 9 times. That means that we've scored touchdowns in 22 of the last 32 possessions...that's almost 70%, talk about efficiency! I'm not saying we can do that against ASU, I'm just saying...

AsuBucETSU34
October 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
app 38
woff 28

on espn networks app hasnt lost to a fcs oppent so i think the odds might be on are side on that lol

plus the rock... it will be a very good game

WoffDoc04
October 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
So what do you call that, the home-TV advantage?xsmiley_wix

AsuBucETSU34
October 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
well....................... yeah lol its not that its just a fun fact about asu and espn.... it wont take away from how big this game will be... i cant wait till friday!!!

94Terrier
October 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Wally (our mascot) slips some moonshine into AE's water bottle, he downs it after warmups, passes out for the game, and Wofford wins by 4!

biggie
October 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Wally (our mascot) slips some moonshine into AE's water bottle, he downs it after warmups, passes out for the game, and Wofford wins by 4!
You think feeding Spinach to Popeye will make him weak?

millwoga1
October 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
app 38
woff 28

on espn networks app hasnt lost to a fcs oppent so i think the odds might be on are side on that lol

plus the rock... it will be a very good game

That is an impressive little mark on ESPN considering they televise the semifinals and finals of playoffs every year. Makes sense considering you have won three consecutive NT's. Nonetheless- impressive

biggie
October 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
That is an impressive little mark on ESPN considering they televise the semifinals and finals of playoffs every year. Makes sense considering you have won three consecutive NT's. Nonetheless- impressive
Well, we didn't have a loss at all on the ESPN family of networks... until LSU this year. Not sure if 'the ocho' was included.

mtnman
October 28th, 2008, 09:40 AM
with as many freshmen we have playing on defence wofford will be hard to beat,our defence has to stay at home and play assignment football.but with as many as 5 freshman on the field i just think wofford will take this one.

woffordgrad94
October 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM

I think ASU has the more explosive potential meaning they have the edge in quick strike scores. Looks like App may try to pass the ball a little more as it appears Brian Quick is becoming a force. Ben Jorden is looking like a good receiving TE. And we know CoCo will get his looks.

It's anyone's ballgame. ASU seems to turn on the intensity every other week. And since I think they were a little flat against Furman, I'd have to say ASU is the team that will come out and gain the early advantage. Whether they can hang on to the early lead is the question. In a twist, I'll say App wins by when Wofford misses a PAT.

I'm sad to say that your prediction is a well founded one. Our kicking game is our weakest link for sure right now.

boonegoon
October 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm sad to say that your prediction is a well founded one. Our kicking game is our weakest link for sure right now.

Ours too!!. Missed PATS and poor kicking made GSU more interesting than my heart needed. And another against Furman.

Black and Gold Express
October 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
This is getting really amusing seeing all the fans of other SoCon teams picking Wofford. Desperation and/or jealousy is clearly a motivating factor, since their teams were unable to get the job done themselves and need somebody to trip us up in order for their teams to have a shot at the conference title.

I'm fine with everyone else picking against us. It'll be fun to hear all the crickets or excuses offered by other fans (not Wofford's they tend to be a classy bunch) after we win by two scores at home - the final margin being made late in the game.

Last I checked they don't have Jayson Foster and that's what it has taken to beat us at home in the last 6 years. Will Wofford get some good runs in? Sure. Will they score some? Sure. Can they stop our offense? Nobody not named LSU has when it matters most, and Wofford shows me nothing to think they are capable of it.

The haters will hate, the whiners will whine, and ASU will continue on undefeated in the SoCon after Friday. It's as simple as that.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Can they stop our offense? Nobody not named LSU has when it matters mostJMU seemed to do a well enough job of it. xcoffeexxlolx:p

KiddBrewer
October 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
JMU seemed to do a well enough job of it. xcoffeexxlolx:p

well enough, yes.....stop, not really

boonegoon
October 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM
CONFERENCE STATISTICAL LEADERS - Complete through Saturday, October 18th
------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUSHING

Rank Player Gm Rush Yds TD Yds/gm
1. Chris Evans, Samford 6 137 723 7 120.50
2. Brandon Newsome, Elon 8 114 662 2 82.75
3. Armanti Edwards, Appalachian St. 7 115 545 7 77.86
4. Mike Brown, Furman 8 120 621 5 77.63
5. Dane Romero, Wofford 6 82 431 8 71.83
6. Quan Warley, Western Caro. 8 116 556 1 69.50
7. Ben Widmyer, Wofford 6 58 416 4 69.33
8. Asheton Jordan, Citadel 7 82 462 3 66.00
9. Antonio Henton, Ga. Southern 7 99 447 8 63.86
10. Robert Welton, Appalachian St. 7 57 383 7 54.71

TOTAL OFFENSE

Rank Player Gm Rush Net Pyd Pl TotYd YdsPl YdsGm
1. Armanti Edwards, Appalachian St. 7 115 545 1270 265 1815 6.85 259.29
2. Scott Riddle, Elon 8 49 -27 1998 323 1971 6.10 246.38
3. Antonio Henton, Ga. Southern 7 99 447 1225 272 1672 6.15 238.86
4. Bart Blanchard, Citadel 7 66 199 1439 279 1638 5.87 234.00
5. Jordan Sorrells, Furman 8 17 -18 1765 250 1747 6.99 218.38
6. Ben Widmyer, Wofford 6 58 416 599 105 1015 9.67 169.17

PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE

Rank Team Gm Att Cmp PPct Int Yds YdAtt TD TDPct Rating
1. Appalachian St. 7 248 129 52.02 12 1507 6.08 7 2.82 102.68
2. Elon 8 262 141 53.82 10 1500 5.73 12 4.58 109.37
3. Furman 8 237 141 59.49 10 1375 5.80 9 3.80 112.33
4. Samford 6 196 111 56.63 10 1423 7.26 7 3.57 119.17
5. Wofford 6 236 153 64.83 8 1438 6.09 10 4.24 123.19
6. Ga. Southern 7 235 135 57.45 4 1772 7.54 11 4.68 132.78
7. Citadel 7 206 125 60.68 2 1403 6.81 15 7.28 140.00
8. Western Caro. 8 168 109 64.88 3 1332 7.93 11 6.55 149.54
9. Chattanooga 8 214 132 61.68 6 1634 7.64 20 9.35 151.07

PASSING OFFENSE

Rank Team Gm Att Cmp Int PPct Yds YdAtt TD YdsGm YdsCmp
1. Elon 8 282 175 10 62.06 2048 7.26 18 256.00 11.70
2. Ga. Southern 7 228 123 9 53.95 1594 6.99 10 227.71 12.96
3. Furman 8 241 150 5 62.24 1803 7.48 15 225.38 12.02
4. Western Caro. 8 303 184 4 60.73 1796 5.93 12 224.50 9.76
5. Citadel 7 223 129 8 57.85 1552 6.96 16 221.71 12.03
6. Appalachian St. 7 162 94 2 58.02 1407 8.69 13 201.00 14.97
7. Samford 6 147 98 4 66.67 975 6.63 5 162.50 9.95
8. Chattanooga 8 237 116 12 48.95 1263 5.33 8 157.88 10.89
9. Wofford 6 65 45 1 69.23 778 11.97 6 129.67 17.29

PASS DEFENSE

Rank Team Gm Att Cmp PPct YdsCmp Int Yds YdAtt TD YdsGm
1. Western Caro. 8 168 109 64.88 12.22 3 1332 7.93 11 166.50
2. Furman 8 237 141 59.49 9.75 10 1375 5.80 9 171.88
3. Elon 8 262 141 53.82 10.64 10 1500 5.73 12 187.50
4. Citadel 7 206 125 60.68 11.22 2 1403 6.81 15 200.43
5. Chattanooga 8 214 132 61.68 12.38 6 1634 7.64 20 204.25
6. Appalachian St. 7 248 129 52.02 11.68 12 1507 6.08 7 215.29
7. Samford 6 196 111 56.63 12.82 10 1423 7.26 7 237.17
8. Wofford 6 236 153 64.83 9.40 8 1438 6.09 10 239.67
9. Ga. Southern 7 235 135 57.45 13.13 4 1772 7.54 11 253.14

PASSING EFFICIENCY

Rank Team Gm Att Cmp PPct Int Yds YdAtt TD TPct Rating
1. Wofford 6 65 45 69.23 1 778 11.97 6 9.23 197.13
2. Appalachian St. 7 162 94 58.02 2 1407 8.69 13 8.02 154.97
3. Furman 8 241 150 62.24 5 1803 7.48 15 6.22 141.43
4. Elon 8 282 175 62.06 10 2048 7.26 18 6.38 137.08
5. Citadel 7 223 129 57.85 8 1552 6.96 16 7.17 132.76
6. Samford 6 147 98 66.67 4 975 6.63 5 3.40 128.20
7. Western Caro. 8 303 184 60.73 4 1796 5.93 12 3.96 120.92

RUSHING OFFENSE

Rank Team Gm Rush Net Avg Tds YdsGm
1. Wofford 6 311 2112 6.79 22 352.00
2. Appalachian St. 7 330 1822 5.52 22 260.29
3. Samford 6 269 1214 4.51 15 202.33
4. Elon 8 298 1299 4.36 9 162.38
5. Ga. Southern 7 242 1066 4.40 16 152.29
6. Furman 8 287 1214 4.23 14 151.75
7. Citadel 7 246 1010 4.11 7 144.29
8. Western Caro. 8 260 906 3.48 4 113.25
9. Chattanooga 8 264 593 2.25 6 74.13

RUSHING DEFENSE

Rank Team Gm Rush Net Avg TD YdsGm
1. Samford 6 177 537 3.03 5 89.50
2. Wofford 6 204 646 3.17 4 107.67
3. Elon 8 260 953 3.67 4 119.13
4. Appalachian St. 7 238 974 4.09 12 139.14
5. Furman 8 288 1241 4.31 12 155.13
6. Citadel 7 256 1215 4.75 11 173.57
7. Ga. Southern 7 326 1409 4.32 15 201.29
8. Western Caro. 8 302 1733 5.74 20 216.63
9. Chattanooga 8 330 1955 5.92 21 244.38

SCORING DEFENSE

Rank Team Gm Pts PtGm TD Kxp Oxp Dkxp Doxp FG Sf
1. Elon 8 137 17.13 18 14 0 0 0 5 0
2. Samford 6 117 19.50 13 12 0 0 0 9 0
3. Furman 8 162 20.25 21 21 0 0 0 5 0
4. Wofford 6 125 20.83 15 14 0 0 0 7 0
5. Appalachian St. 7 178 25.43 23 23 0 0 0 5 1
6. Citadel 7 198 28.29 26 24 0 0 0 6 0
7. Western Caro. 8 234 29.25 32 30 0 0 0 4 0
8. Ga. Southern 7 217 31.00 27 25 0 0 0 10 0
9. Chattanooga 8 325 40.63 44 40 0 0 0 5 3

SCORING OFFENSE

Rank Team Gm Yds TD Pts Avg Kxp Oxp Dkxp Doxp FG Sf
1. Appalachian St. 7 3229 36 268 38.29 32 1 0 0 6 0
2. Wofford 6 2890 30 228 38.00 28 1 0 0 6 0
3. Ga. Southern 7 2660 31 234 33.43 28 0 0 0 6 1
4. Elon 8 3347 29 251 31.38 27 0 0 0 16 1
5. Furman 8 3017 31 241 30.13 29 1 0 0 8 0
6. Citadel 7 2562 26 206 29.43 23 0 0 0 9 0
7. Samford 6 2189 21 155 25.83 20 0 0 0 3 0
8. Western Caro. 8 2702 16 129 16.13 13 1 0 0 6 0
9. Chattanooga 8 1856 14 111 13.88 13 0 0 0 4 1

TOTAL DEFENSE

Rank Team Gm Avg Plays Yds TD YdsGm
1. Elon 8 4.70 522 2453 18 306.63
2. Samford 6 5.25 373 1960 13 326.67
3. Furman 8 4.98 525 2616 21 327.00
4. Wofford 6 4.74 440 2084 15 347.33
5. Appalachian St. 7 5.10 486 2481 23 354.43
6. Citadel 7 5.67 462 2618 26 374.00
7. Western Caro. 8 6.52 470 3065 32 383.13
8. Chattanooga 8 6.60 544 3589 44 448.63
9. Ga. Southern 7 5.67 561 3181 27 454.43

TOTAL OFFENSE

Rank Team Gm Pl Yds Avg TD YdsGm
1. Wofford 6 376 2890 7.69 30 481.67
2. Appalachian St. 7 492 3229 6.56 36 461.29
3. Elon 8 580 3347 5.77 29 418.38
4. Ga. Southern 7 470 2660 5.66 31 380.00
5. Furman 8 528 3017 5.71 31 377.13
6. Citadel 7 469 2562 5.46 26 366.00
7. Samford 6 416 2189 5.26 21 364.83
8. Western Caro. 8 563 2702 4.80 16 337.75
9. Chattanooga 8 501 1856 3.70 14 232.00

TURNOVER MARGIN

Rank Team Gm FGa IGa Gtot FLo ILo Ltot Mrgn
1. Wofford 6 8 8 16 4 1 5 1.83
2. Samford 6 8 10 18 6 4 10 1.33
3. Appalachian St. 7 0 12 12 8 2 10 .29
4. Furman 8 6 10 16 10 5 15 .13
4. Elon 8 7 10 17 6 10 16 .13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few stats for the geeks out there. Teams seem really evenly matched. Wofford leads conference in Rushing yet no 100 yd/game guy. Tough to stop. Disclaimer: Take what you want from this. Elon still leads in scoring defense.

neersnbeers
October 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
At first I wondered how WC could play in the fridged thin air. Then I remember you guys played out west last year in the playoffs. Nevermind.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
At first I wondered how WC could play in the fridged thin air. Then I remember you guys played out west last year in the playoffs. Nevermind.Jerk. xnonono2x

xlolx xlolx xlolx :p Go Wofford! xlolx

neersnbeers
October 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Jerk. xnonono2x

xlolx xlolx xlolx :p Go Wofford! xlolx

Ha. Touchy subject.

Saint3333
October 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM

ASU just took a stupid pill at halftime and kicked the ball to Scottie...xbangx

appstate38
October 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM

You guys are welcome to try if you think you can do betterxthumbsupx

I for one would want to see it!

james_lawfirm
October 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
So what do you call that, the home-TV advantage?xsmiley_wix

Actually, I think App is 12 - 0 when on ESPN or ESPN2, regardless of whether we are home or away. Note: The LSU game this year was scheduled for ESPN, but was channeled away to ESPNU due to the sudden move to a 10:00 am kickoff due to Gustav.

To me, the real question is not who will win this fine game on the gridiron, rather what will the talking heads on ESPN2 be talking about the entire game? Don't count on them talking about the game on the field. Last time ASU was on ESPN (Dec. 14, 2007), the announcers were enthralled with various Heisman trophy candidates, none of whom were playing at that moment.

Personally, I wish I could record the ESPN video of the game and superimpose David Jackson on radio as audio.

neersnbeers
October 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Any word on the ESPN crew for the game?

Black Saturday
October 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Actually, I think App is 12 - 0 when on ESPN or ESPN2, regardless of whether we are home or away. Note: The LSU game this year was scheduled for ESPN, but was channeled away to ESPNU due to the sudden move to a 10:00 am kickoff due to Gustav.

To me, the real question is not who will win this fine game on the gridiron, rather what will the talking heads on ESPN2 be talking about the entire game? Don't count on them talking about the game on the field. Last time ASU was on ESPN (Dec. 14, 2007), the announcers were enthralled with various Heisman trophy candidates, none of whom were playing at that moment.

Personally, I wish I could record the ESPN video of the game and superimpose David Jackson on radio as audio.

If you have DVR you can sync with ASN, much better than ESPN heads.

Black Saturday
October 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM
This is getting really amusing seeing all the fans of other SoCon teams picking Wofford. Desperation and/or jealousy is clearly a motivating factor, since their teams were unable to get the job done themselves and need somebody to trip us up in order for their teams to have a shot at the conference title.

I'm fine with everyone else picking against us. It'll be fun to hear all the crickets or excuses offered by other fans (not Wofford's they tend to be a classy bunch) after we win by two scores at home - the final margin being made late in the game.

Last I checked they don't have Jayson Foster and that's what it has taken to beat us at home in the last 6 years. Will Wofford get some good runs in? Sure. Will they score some? Sure. Can they stop our offense? Nobody not named LSU has when it matters most, and Wofford shows me nothing to think they are capable of it.

The haters will hate, the whiners will whine, and ASU will continue on undefeated in the SoCon after Friday. It's as simple as that.

Right!

KiddBrewer
October 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Oderint Dum Metuant: latin for "Let them hate, so long as they fear" xnodx xthumbsupx xcoffeex

james_lawfirm
October 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Oderint Dum Metuant: latin for "Let them hate, so long as they fear" xnodx xthumbsupx xcoffeex

Don't be speakin' no Latin 'round here. 'Hit'll scare the puppies. xrotatehx xlolx

james_lawfirm
October 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM

I'll have to get my 15 yr. old to do that.

neersnbeers
October 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Off topic but I wouldn't mind meeting some fellow AGSers before the game. If you plan to be up PM me. Would be cool to put faces with screen names.

madisonfan87
October 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Can't wait to watch on Fri.
Prediction: App will win a thriller by a TD (In the thirties for both teams)

elon77
October 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Off topic but I wouldn't mind meeting some fellow AGSers before the game. If you plan to be up PM me. Would be cool to put faces with screen names.

Yea, it's Halloween, you won't be able to tell whether it's their face or a mask.xlolx In my case the mask would be better.xlolx

BestOfBreed
October 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM

How soon you forget the last time Wofford visited The Rock. Not saying the Terriers will hold you to 14 but then again you got those off botched punts last time.

Reign of Terrier
October 28th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Just a few stats for the geeks out there. Teams seem really evenly matched. Wofford leads conference in Rushing yet no 100 yd/game guy. Tough to stop. Disclaimer: Take what you want from this. Elon still leads in scoring defense.

We spread the ball out to our tailbacks. Rucker is the speed guy. Romero is the power guy. Marshall is the option guy (he takes the pitch the best)and he has great hands.

Elon's still first in scoring but I believe we added 4 points to their average.

james_lawfirm
October 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM

OK, I've asked my 15 yr. old (the resident expert re: all electronic devices) & he said he had no idea how to do this. Any elaboration on how to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SeattleGriz
October 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Wow! Can't wait to watch this game in HD! Should be awesome.

appirishmen
October 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
man i hope App wins, but i know it is going to be a good game! We just got about a half inch to an inch of snow last night so its going to be a nice and cold night! i predict a close game for who ever wins. .....but just for fun...

App 46 Wofford 40

94Terrier
October 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Snow....oh hell no. Our little dogs don't have enough hair on them to stay warm.

RazorEdge19
October 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Snow....oh hell no. Our little dogs don't have enough hair on them to stay warm.

Unfortunately, that defense doesn't work for us anymore. See Montana 2007.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
October 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Good news for App...

Robert Welton is probable for the game.

Black and Gold Express
October 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
How soon you forget the last time Wofford visited The Rock. Not saying the Terriers will hold you to 14 but then again you got those off botched punts last time.

I didn't forget that game. Last I checked y'all left with an L. And we "gave away" 14 points with turnovers if you want to go down that route.

You beat ASU last year at home, in a game that your coach said all offseason he was selling out everything for. A game that featured an unhealthy Edwards playing terribly in his first game back - a game everyone admitted afterwards was a mistake to have him in. That's not an excuse, but it wasn't until Elder came back in that things were clicking again, and in about a half of football ASU still almost beat you.

So in addition to having the best player in I-AA healthy for this one, we are the ones with the revenge factor, playing with the biggest home field advantage in I-AA.

The tables are turned, can your guys handle it and pull off the upset? My money is on that you won't.

JMU DUUUKES
October 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Appalachian if they play their game (see first half of JMU game)

Appy - 34
Wofford - 28

DLS
October 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Good news for App...

Robert Welton is probable for the game.

"now you all are in big trouble"
-billy madison

erobinson32
October 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Anyone know if the game will be in HD? I know it's ESPN2, but I don't think everything on ESPN2 is in HD. Just curious.

Old Gold and Black
October 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I checked my program guide the other night and it doesn't list it as being shown in HD, but the program guide on Directv is not always right.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I would be shocked if it's not in HD. All the playoff games are in HD and any other college football game is in HD on ESPN. Should be a great game, I'm looking forward to watching it from Homecoming weekend at JMU, after which I'll be going to a Halloween Frat party and checking out lots of dressed up girls in french maid, nurse, and school girls uniforms to remember the good 'ol days. :D

biggie
October 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
OK, I've asked my 15 yr. old (the resident expert re: all electronic devices) & he said he had no idea how to do this. Any elaboration on how to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Basically the TV broadcast should be behind the radio. Turn the radio on and then rewind the DVR until you find that the TV matches the radio call.

james_lawfirm
October 29th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Basically the TV broadcast should be behind the radio. Turn the radio on and then rewind the DVR until you find that the TV matches the radio call.

I agree that the TV broadcast is behind the radio. If I delay the DVR (TV), wouldn't that put the video even further behind the audio?

ASU
October 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Talk, Talk, Talk...............doesn't mean anything to the real game. Each side thinks their team will do better. You just never know......really depends on how well the players play in this particular game. We will find out at the end.

Both teams are good.....both should be in the playoffs, but you never know. The CAA might demand 8 berths this year instead of 5.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM
1. At least 70 points total
2. At least 800 yards of offense total
3. Apples win by 10.

By of course I want the woofs to win, because it makes the conference look like it has more balance and parity...which increases the chance of a certain 7-4 (hopefully) SoCon team getting in to the playoffs.

appstate38
October 29th, 2008, 11:18 AM
1. At least 70 points total
2. At least 800 yards of offense total
3. Apples win by 10.

By of course I want the woofs to win, because it makes the conference look like it has more balance and parity...which increases the chance of a certain 7-4 (hopefully) SoCon team getting in to the playoffs.

Silly rabbit.... 7-4 teams only come from the CAA! xsmiley_wix

elkinftball2002
October 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
right now would this be declared as the biggest game ever at the rock?

B&G
October 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I would think that honor still goes to the 2005 Semi Finals against Furman.

jus10asu
October 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I agree that the TV broadcast is behind the radio. If I delay the DVR (TV), wouldn't that put the video even further behind the audio?

yes

jus10asu
October 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM

The above scenario would work but only in opposite land. And I don't think there is a way to delay a radio broadcast. Unless you have the radio broadcast online and turn it down but somehow record the audio with a program that will play it back while recording it and somehow delay the playback. But is it worth it?

jus10asu
October 29th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Well I mean you can look at it three ways...one way I would say no because the semi game against Furman is probably bigger when you look at its implications. Two...Yes because this could determine the rest of our season and ultimately our road to 4 straight. Third...If we make the our super bowl, championship game, etc. like JMU did their game vs. us then I mean look what happened to them...we are guaranteed the W.:p :p But I would either go with my first two points in all seriousness. xcoffeex

appstate38
October 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Well I mean you can look at it three ways...one way I would say no because the semi game against Furman is probably bigger when you look at its implications. Two...Yes because this could determine the rest of our season and ultimately our road to 4 straight. Third...If we make the our super bowl, championship game, etc. like JMU did their game vs. us then I mean look what happened to them...we are guaranteed the W.:p :p But I would either go with my first two points in all seriousness. xcoffeex

Big game.... Yes, but thing is, the Apps have had a target on their backs for the past few years. The thing that has helped keep them focused is because they have taken the one game at a time approach. It has worked pretty good for them so far. Knowing you are going to get everyone's best shot kinda lends itself to making sure you are prepared to take the field.

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Here's my prediction...

My son's gonna have to haul a$$ trick or treating so that I can get back to my house, drive up to my parents in Bristol (30 minutes away), grab a bowl of chili and be on the couch by 8.

neersnbeers
October 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Does anyone happen to have an extra parking pass for Friday? Would be nicely compensated. PM me if so. Thanx!

ericsaid
October 29th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I really don't think Wofford has played any team that should have presented them challenges but Georgia Southern and Elon. USC was expected to win so I won't count on that but aprt from Georgia Southern and Elon Woffords schedule has been relatively easy.

Should be interesting to see what happens Friday and in the game against Samford(since Samfords rushing defenses is one of the best in FCS).

Good Luck.

james_lawfirm
October 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I really don't think Wofford has played any team that should have presented them challenges but Georgia Southern and Elon. USC was expected to win so I won't count on that but aprt from Georgia Southern and Elon Woffords schedule has been relatively easy.

Should be interesting to see what happens Friday and in the game against Samford(since Samfords rushing defenses is one of the best in FCS).

Good Luck.

That's true. But, I taped the Wofford/Elon game & it looked to me liked Wofford REALLY frustrated Elon on both sides of the ball. They made a good team look bad. By the end of the 2nd qtr., Elon looked like they already wanted a "do-over".

blur2005
October 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I wish I could watch this whole game...unfortunately, it's Halloween and I have events to attend. Will watch the first half, if I can.

Ought to be a barn burner - I think App State wins due to home field advantage but not by much.

beauvighn
October 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Good Luck.

Who then has App. played that is worth a crap and beaten. App. and Wofford have the same schedule other than losing to a tough OOC team(s).
Appy lost to LSWho and JMwho. Wofford lost to USC. Both teams have spanked everyone else. Keep that strength of schedule crap out of it.

elcid96
October 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
The question is can Appy come back from a 28 point deficit at half time and win the game?

ASUMountaineer
October 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Who then has App. played that is worth a crap and beaten. App. and Wofford have the same schedule other than losing to a tough OOC team(s).
Appy lost to LSWho and JMwho. Wofford lost to USC. Both teams have spanked everyone else. Keep that strength of schedule crap out of it.

The defending BCS champions that's LSWho and the last team to win an FCS championship that's JMWho. When is the last time USC or Wofford won a national title? I'm not saying you guys won't win and I'm not really commenting on the SOS argument, just questioning your attempted smack there.

beauvighn
October 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM
If you would spit out the moonshine and re read my post I said who have they played AND BEATEN..[B]. Heck, we could play UGA, Ohio St. Penn St, Texas and get our arse kicked like you did and it would change anything. Who the H*ll have you [B]beaten that's worth a crap.

And yeah, fall back on that "when have ya'll won a Nat'l title." We haven't, because our entire life is not defined by if we do or don't. When was the last time App won crap when AE wasn't playing for them. Wofford hasn't won a FCS title and the stars would have to align perfectly for us to even have a chance.
My point is don't spew crap about who every team Appy plays hasn't played anybody. It's not who you have played, it's who the H*ll you have beaten

millwoga1
October 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
The defending BCS champions that's LSWho and the last team to win an FCS championship that's JMWho. When is the last time USC or Wofford won a national title? I'm not saying you guys won't win and I'm not really commenting on the SOS argument, just questioning your attempted smack there.

Let me get this straight, you are saying that App. state is more likely to beat Wofford on Friday because LSU has won several FBS championships
(including last year) and USC has never won one. Easy opportunity to talk smack about how competitive each team was against their FBS opponent, but then this would turn into a LSU/USC thread, so I will refrain.
(I am assuming all this is smack talk because it really will have zero affect over the outcome on Friday-right?)

beauvighn
October 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Ericsaid stated that we haven't played anybody. My response was who the H#ll have ya'll played and beaten that we haven't. No smack, just facts. Ya'll haven't beat anyone any better than we have.

Appinator
October 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
If you would spit out the moonshine and re read my post I said who have they played AND BEATEN..[B]. Heck, we could play UGA, Ohio St. Penn St, Texas and get our arse kicked like you did and it would change anything. Who the H*ll have you [B]beaten that's worth a crap.

And yeah, fall back on that "when have ya'll won a Nat'l title." We haven't, because our entire life is not defined by if we do or don't. When was the last time App won crap when AE wasn't playing for them. Wofford hasn't won a FCS title and the stars would have to align perfectly for us to even have a chance.
My point is don't spew crap about who every team Appy plays hasn't played anybody. It's not who you have played, it's who the H*ll you have beaten

Not trying to jump on the smack-wagon that you and some others are about to derail on, but I wanted to clear up a few things:

We won our first NC with Richie Williams at QB, not AE. You might know him, the all-time leader in yards gained in the SoCon, NCAA division 1 record holder for most consecutive completions in a game, etc. We also had our best defense out of all of our NC teams that year (05). Murrell and Hunter beasted people on a consistant basis.

Second, if you would like to use the "who have you beaten" argument, ASU and WC are pretty much on equal ground. I knew quite well what was going to happen at Elon when the Terriers rolled into town and I expect a battle when they cross the Watauga county line.

Schedule analysis goes as follows: App and WC both played an FBS school and lost, App and WC both played Presby and won (ASU, w:48-14 / WC, w:38-21). The lone different game so far: App played JMU and Jacksonville (a non-scholly pushover) and WC played Charleston Southern (one of the worst scholly teams in FCS). App's schedule has been tougher, but we did still lose that extra game (by a slim 3 points).

(Worth noting, WC chose to only play 11 games, instead of adding the optional 12 like App did for extra revenue. The extra bye week might come in handy for the pups come playoff time.)

AtlantaMountaineer
October 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
App won their first National Champtionship (2005) before Armanti was even enrolled at App. And while we beat Citadel (who was ranked at the time) and Samford, and #18 Furman, WC has beaten Elon, and lowly WCU and Chatty.

millwoga1
October 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
App won their first National Champtionship (2005) before Armanti was even enrolled at App. And while we beat Citadel (who was ranked at the time) and Samford, and #18 Furman, WC has beaten Elon, and lowly WCU and Chatty.

You have lost a FCS game- Wofford has not.
We have passed every FCS test that we have been faced with.
Bottom line- We haven't been tested with a team as good as ya'll (FCS)
Ya'll have been tested with a team as good or better than Wofford in JMU. To argue that you will win this game because of who you have beaten is absurd.

appstate38
October 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
You have lost a FCS game- Wofford has not.
We have passed every FCS test that we have been faced with.
Bottom line- We haven't been tested with a team as good as ya'll (FCS)
Ya'll have been tested with a team as good or better than Wofford in JMU. To argue that you will win this game because of who you have beaten is absurd.

It will be here soon enough... Then we can put all this mess to rest and watch a good one. BTW We will smoke the T-Dogs xthumbsupx

millwoga1
October 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
It will be here soon enough... Then we can put all this mess to rest and watch a good one. BTW We will smoke the T-Dogs xthumbsupx

xnonox

ASUMountaineer
October 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM

As stated above. 2005 AE was a senior in HS.

I understand your post and I agree with you. Just saying, it's not exactly LSWho or JMWho. Just showing a little respect when not on the smack board.

ASUMountaineer
October 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Let me get this straight, you are saying that App. state is more likely to beat Wofford on Friday because LSU has won several FBS championships
(including last year) and USC has never won one. Easy opportunity to talk smack about how competitive each team was against their FBS opponent, but then this would turn into a LSU/USC thread, so I will refrain.
(I am assuming all this is smack talk because it really will have zero affect over the outcome on Friday-right?)

No I'm not, I am answering his question about LSWho and JMWho. He was arguing SOS, some would argue playing tougher competition makes your more prepared. Just didn't understand the "who" part.

Saint3333
October 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Both are talented and well coached teams.

But this is a game of talent vs. discipline.

If the more talented team maintains discipline they win, if not well look at what happened last year. I wouldn't put money on this game straight up that's for sure.

ASU better watch for those 2-3 30 yard passes WC is going to throw on Friday.

ericsaid
October 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I thought it would be disipline vs. disipline. But that's just me.

AlphaSigMD
October 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens on threads like this when Furman and Wofford play on Nov 22nd.

Every Furman fan so far has said that Wofford will beat ASU at the rock. Most have posted blowout scores.

I know that the transitive property doesn't work in football, but how could any of these same people believe that Wofford will destroy ASU (a team that beat them by two scores) on the road but will then turn around a lose to Furman in front of a friendly Terrier crowd?

I mean, since they obviously think Wofford will dominate ASU...how could the Paladins ever hope to stand against them?

WoffDoc04
October 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Every Furman fan so far has said that Wofford will beat ASU at the rock. Most have posted blowout scores.

I mean, since they obviously think Wofford will dominate ASU...how could the Paladins ever hope to stand against them?

Your reasoning is flawed. It assumes that you're dealing with logical thinkers...but these are FURMAN fans.

KiddBrewer
October 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Southern Conference champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005(national championship)

and the stars seemed pretty close to perfectly straight in November of last year for you guess if i remember correctly...?

Black and Gold Express
October 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
ASU is by far the more talented team. If they play well, Wofford has no chance, even if Wofford plays well on their side of the ball.

This is not smack, it's the truth. There is a big talent gap between these two teams, and nobody in their right mind can argue it. Wofford routinely overcomes talent deficiencies with crisp execution, but is always going to subject to a tough game against good opponents if their opponents also execute well.

If ASU's defense does not play good fundamental option defense, Wofford will do to us what they have done to others, no doubt. ASU's young defense on the line and in the secondary will be tested, though our LB group should be the best Wofford has faced this year (that includes USC). ASU's kick coverage is also suspect, though they did finally put a good game together last week. But again, a point of concern.

ASU's offense is the one area of little concern, and if a one-dimensional offense like Elon can score 20, then ASU's more balanced offense should be able to put up points aplenty.

These is one thing to note. Wofford has never faced Armanti at his best. In 2006 he was still a very green quarterback at the time of the Wofford game and it showed. Last year he was still hurt, and it showed. Finally we'll get to see I-AA's best player go against Wofford with all cylinders (mental and physical) firing. That will be interesting to see how Wofford finally stacks up when all the chips are on the table.

T-Dogg
October 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM
ASU is by far the more talented team. If they play well, Wofford has no chance, even if Wofford plays well on their side of the ball.

I vote to show up anyway!

Rekdiver
October 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM
At this juncture, I believe that Wofford is the more talented team. It will take a complete game from ASU to win this game with no mistakes in the kicking game and some wrinkle to slow down the misddirection rushing game of Wofford. I can only hope that those 300lb linemen don't like cold...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM

This is not smack, it's the truth. There is a big talent gap between these two teams, and nobody in their right mind can argue it. Wofford routinely overcomes talent deficiencies with crisp execution, but is always going to subject to a tough game against good opponents if their opponents also execute well.

If ASU's defense does not play good fundamental option defense, Wofford will do to us what they have done to others, no doubt. ASU's young defense on the line and in the secondary will be tested, though our LB group should be the best Wofford has faced this year (that includes USC). ASU's kick coverage is also suspect, though they did finally put a good game together last week. But again, a point of concern.

ASU's offense is the one area of little concern, and if a one-dimensional offense like Elon can score 20, then ASU's more balanced offense should be able to put up points aplenty.

These is one thing to note. Wofford has never faced Armanti at his best. In 2006 he was still a very green quarterback at the time of the Wofford game and it showed. Last year he was still hurt, and it showed. Finally we'll get to see I-AA's best player go against Wofford with all cylinders (mental and physical) firing. That will be interesting to see how Wofford finally stacks up when all the chips are on the table.

Overall, you guys have the better talent level, but I don't see where people come off saying Wofford wins via good execution and discipline. They fumble and commit penalties like any other team. Also, having seen Wofford in person this year, I can tell you they have plenty of team speed.

I do agree that AE is going to have a pretty big day. Jayson Foster had a career day (and that's not hyperbole, it really was the best game of his career) against Wofford last year. I just don't think they can stop running QB's in that type of offense.

Saint3333
October 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Overall, you guys have the better talent level, but I don't see where people come off saying Wofford wins via good execution and discipline. They fumble and commit penalties like any other team. Also, having seen Wofford in person this year, I can tell you they have plenty of team speed.

I do agree that AE is going to have a pretty big day. Jayson Foster had a career day (and that's not hyperbole, it really was the best game of his career) against Wofford last year. I just don't think they can stop running QB's in that type of offense.

They don't turn the ball over, only 4 fumbles and 1 INT this year. AE has probably the worst production vs. Wofford than any other team he has played at least twice. I think he likes the camera thoughxsmiley_wix.

MountainMan
October 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM

I'd say NO. It is a big game, but I think our games vs #1 Marshall in 1994 (first W over a #1) and #1 GSU in 1999 (GSU was loaded then) out rank it for regular season I-AA/FCS games. Some would also argue some of the games vs ECU in the 70's were bigger.

Having said that it is hard to say anything short of our 4 SemiFinal games at KBS have been bigger games. How much bigger can it get in FCS than a home game to send you to a NC game?

terrierbob
October 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Our talent level is improving. If you look at raw numbers, I'd agree with B&G Express. However, we have one of, if not the best OL in FCS. One is touted as an NFL prospect (1st since Jerry?). It's a good thing to have if you're 75% run-oriented. Some one earlier posted that the sacks figure for WC was meaningless. It's not, unless you're seeing Widmeyer having time to text his girlfriend and wait for Andy Strickland to get open.

beauvighn
October 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I vote to show up anyway!

I second that vote. I think you have it wrong express. I agree with you that the Mounties have the more talented players but not necessarily the most talented team. If what you say is true, the Mounties should never lose a game in the SoCon. Who else has better talent than you.

That leads to this. why don't you win every game. Is it coaching, player discipline, player character(or lack of), why do you still lose games in the SoCon with the best talent.

It's because the best talent doesn't always win. Wofford rarely ever has the best talent any Saturday we take the field. But, we win because our coaches have instilled in our guys the concept of team above self, execute to the best of your ability, and be disciplin ed and don't turn the ball over.

You will always have the best talent when these 2 teams play. The admissions standards dictate this. Wofford will continue to win games in the SoCon with lesser talent because of the level of character on the team.

james_lawfirm
October 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Our talent level is improving. If you look at raw numbers, I'd agree with B&G Express. However, we have one of, if not the best OL in FCS. One is touted as an NFL prospect (1st since Jerry?). It's a good thing to have if you're 75% run-oriented. Some one earlier posted that the sacks figure for WC was meaningless. It's not, unless you're seeing Widmeyer having time to text his girlfriend and wait for Andy Strickland to get open.

Ain't nothing wrong with Wofford's talent. They put a whoopin' on a darn good Elon team. I think this will be a GREAT game, but I do think App will win.

Let me repeat something I heard my son's soccer coach tell his team. And, by the way, this coach has coached at the high school level for 20 years, taking 2 teams to the state championship game. The sport may be different, but the comment is valid for FCS football. He said: "Hustle beats talent anyday; BUT hustle AND talent are hard to beat."

From what I saw of the Elon/Wofford game, Elon stopped hustling about midway through the 3rd qtr. I can practically guarantee all posters here that neither App nor Wofford will stop hustling from start to finish. Furthermore, both teams are talented, both have successful schemes that opponents have had a hard time stopping.

james_lawfirm
October 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I second that vote. I think you have it wrong express. I agree with you that the Mounties have the more talented players but not necessarily the most talented team. If what you say is true, the Mounties should never lose a game in the SoCon. Who else has better talent than you.

That leads to this. why don't you win every game. Is it coaching, player discipline, player character(or lack of), why do you still lose games in the SoCon with the best talent.

It's because the best talent doesn't always win. Wofford rarely ever has the best talent any Saturday we take the field. But, we win because our coaches have instilled in our guys the concept of team above self, execute to the best of your ability, and be disciplin ed and don't turn the ball over.

You will always have the best talent when these 2 teams play. The admissions standards dictate this. Wofford will continue to win games in the SoCon with lesser talent because of the level of character on the team.

Beu:
I was with you, up until that last paragraph. That is complete BS. You won't convince me that App's admissions standards have anything whatsoever to do with the quality of the football team. Nor is the "level of character" different on App's team. You're barking up the wrong tree there.

App may or may not have the higher talent level. But, if it does, it has nothing whatsoever to do with admissions standards or level of character. Granted, there are some characters on the team. But, you catch my drift.

CamelCityAppFan
October 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM

ASU is 50-14 in SoCon games since 2000. That ranks them as #1 in the SoCon during that span. Wofford is 4th, at 43-21.

Not that it means anything regarding tomorrow night's game.

Just sayin'.

neersnbeers
October 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Less than 32 hours till kickoff folks!

APPStrongNC
October 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Less than 32 hours till kickoff folks!

BRING IT ON......
Lots of great discussion guys. much thanks, as I sit here waiting for the car to get new tires....

BRING ON FRIDAY...

beauvighn
October 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Beu:
I was with you, up until that last paragraph. That is complete BS. You won't convince me that App's admissions standards have anything whatsoever to do with the quality of the football team. Nor is the "level of character" different on App's team. You're barking up the wrong tree there.

App may or may not have the higher talent level. But, if it does, it has nothing whatsoever to do with admissions standards or level of character. Granted, there are some characters on the team. But, you catch my drift.

No where did I say that the App players do not possess character. Coach Moore is a man of the highest integrity and I don't think would recruit thugs. I still contend the admission requirements sometimes limits our pool of athletes. Not complaining about our high standards just that we cannot recruit the same kids. I just wonder how many kids on the Wofford team were recruited by App and vice versa. Probably none I bet. One of our highest rated recruits from last year played within a pitching wedge of App and did not even get a sniff from the Mounties. That sums it up.

WallyTerrier
October 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hey:
I haven't be on here for almost a year. Too much going on.
WOCO looked awesome vs Elon and Western and Chatty the last 3 weeks. APPY is a whole different animal though and the Tdawgs have to go up the Mountain to KB stadium. I think WOCO won there in 03,not sure, but its one of the toughest home venues for any visiting team.

I predict a close game, with the Tdawgs pulling out a narrow victory. BUT I would not be surprised at all by a Mountaineer victory. Defense for both will be a key as well as Special Team play.

This could shape up to be one of the best for the FCS all year.

james_lawfirm
October 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM
No where did I say that the App players do not possess character. Coach Moore is a man of the highest integrity and I don't think would recruit thugs. I still contend the admission requirements sometimes limits our pool of athletes. Not complaining about our high standards just that we cannot recruit the same kids. I just wonder how many kids on the Wofford team were recruited by App and vice versa. Probably none I bet. One of our highest rated recruits from last year played within a pitching wedge of App and did not even get a sniff from the Mounties. That sums it up.

If you did not intend to say that App players do not possess character, then I stand corrected. That's sure how I interpreted your post.

You're right about Coach Moore - he has a very low tolerance level for any type of misbehaving.

Further, I think you are comparing apples & oranges if you are saying we are recruiting from different pools of players. Perhaps a better description is that Wofford recruits players that fit into into option scheme and App recruits players that fit into its spread scheme. Just because a player grew up in App's backyard (and Bretenstein's brother played at App), does NOT mean he should go to App. Maybe he would fit in better in Wofford's scheme. Bretenstein certainly appears to have done that.

So, I don't agree with your attribution of the result of player selection to "admission standards" either. Wofford looks for and gets players for the "Wofford scheme" and App looks for and gets players for the "App scheme". Nothing more, nothing less, although I do think App's high visibility and success makes it more likely it will get the players it wants.

james_lawfirm
October 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
BRING IT ON......
Lots of great discussion guys. much thanks, as I sit here waiting for the car to get new tires....

BRING ON FRIDAY...

I hope you are at the tire store.

proasu89
October 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'd say NO. It is a big game, but I think our games vs #1 Marshall in 1994 (first W over a #1) and #1 GSU in 1999 (GSU was loaded then) out rank it for regular season I-AA/FCS games. Some would also argue some of the games vs ECU in the 70's were bigger.

Having said that it is hard to say anything short of our 4 SemiFinal games at KBS have been bigger games. How much bigger can it get in FCS than a home game to send you to a NC game?

I here what ya screamin. I've heard too much this week about how Appalachian football didn't exist before 2005xwhistlex

elkinftball2002
October 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
looks like all tickets are now sold out for the game.

ASUMountaineer
October 30th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I here what ya screamin. I've heard too much this week about how Appalachian football didn't exist before 2005xwhistlex

Crap, and all this time I thought the seat cushion they gave us back in 2003 for the 75th year of football was real. xeekx

xlolx

HiHiYikas
October 31st, 2008, 06:40 AM
When I pull up the preview information on Comcast, here's the blurb about the game:

HD, Live, Wofford at Appalachian State in Southern Conference Action. Last season, Wofford beat ASU 42-31 for the Mountaineers' first conference loss since 2003.

AppStateold299
October 31st, 2008, 06:45 AM
I hope to see you guys at the game tonight. I'm hopeful it will be a good game with App coming out victoriously. Appalachian Football going strong for 80 years!

APPStrongNC
October 31st, 2008, 07:11 AM
GAME DAY FOLKS.
GAME DAY FOLKS.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
October 31st, 2008, 07:12 AM
GAME DAY FOLKS.
GAME DAY FOLKS.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Amen. Getting ready to leave for Boone...xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx

jus10asu
October 31st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Waawaaweewaa its GAMEDAY!!!!

terrierbob
October 31st, 2008, 07:32 AM
I hope to see you guys at the game tonight. I'm hopeful it will be a good game with App coming out victoriously. Appalachian Football going strong for 80 years!

So App State didn't start as a teacher's college? Was it a land grant school along with NC State? When did y'all join the SoCon?

94Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Eleven Hours Twenty-three minutes!!

DLS
October 31st, 2008, 07:47 AM
definitely called in sick today and im pretty my boss knows whats up.

APPStrongNC
October 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM
not me. got a court case today, so I'm in court on the smartphone...
let the count down continue.
so no Boone for me...

james_lawfirm
October 31st, 2008, 08:00 AM
not me. got a court case today, so I'm in court on the smartphone...
let the count down continue.
so no Boone for me...

In court on the smartphone? If you tried that in Burke Co., they'd confiscate your phone & maybe even toss you in the pokey! I am not kidding. I think it would be safer for you at the football game.

mcveyrl
October 31st, 2008, 08:01 AM
In court on the smartphone? If you tried that in Burke Co., they'd confiscate your phone & maybe even toss you in the pokey! I am not kidding. I think it would be safer for you at the football game.

I was thinking the same thing. xlolx

james_lawfirm
October 31st, 2008, 08:02 AM
So App State didn't start as a teacher's college? Was it a land grant school along with NC State? When did y'all join the SoCon?

Yep, started as Appalachian State Teacher's College in 1899. Joined SoCon in the 1970's. I think.

ASUMountaineer
October 31st, 2008, 08:05 AM
When I pull up the preview information on Comcast, here's the blurb about the game:

HD, Live, Wofford at Appalachian State in Southern Conference Action. Last season, Wofford beat ASU 42-31 for the Mountaineers' first conference loss since 2003.

Unfortunately that's very incorrect. In 2003 we lost a couple of conference games to the Citadel and Wofford. In 2004 the only games we won were at home and in 2005 we lost to Furman in the regular season. Now, until Georgia Southern we hadn't lost at home, but Wofford beat us in Sparkle City last year. Oh well, what do you expect--they probably say App-a-lay-shun too. xlolx

APPStrongNC
October 31st, 2008, 08:31 AM

I guess not in rutherford then. if court went faster maybe I would not have to been on the phone ;)

terrierbob
October 31st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately that's very incorrect. In 2003 we lost a couple of conference games to the Citadel and Wofford. In 2004 the only games we won were at home and in 2005 we lost to Furman in the regular season. Now, until Georgia Southern we hadn't lost at home, but Wofford beat us in Sparkle City last year. Oh well, what do you expect--they probably say App-a-lay-shun too. xlolx

If you think about it, the NCs are all the more impressive since y'all had the losses.

HiHiYikas
October 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I just got back from traffic court (case dimissed) and there was definitely a no cellphone policy there.

I can't think of a time I've wanted more to be in Boone...actually, September 1, 2007 comes to mind.

If you think about it, the NCs are all the more impressive since y'all had the losses.
It's a beautiful thing, ain't it, Bob? It makes programs like Wofford and GaSo look even better (and rightly so), it demonstrates the quality of FCS football, and it means that both the winner and the loser this evening are still contenders.

LehighFan11
October 31st, 2008, 09:35 AM
I was trying to read the last few pages to get a feel for the game tonight. Sounds like Welton is going to play? Any other big injury updates? Sounds like the consensus is App by a few in a barn burner.

jmufan999
October 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM
i think Wofford will actually get blown out by ASU. i'm sure i'll get some wrath from Wofford fans. oh well. before you ask, i have NOT seen Wofford play. but MOST of us only get to see our own team play, there is very, very little coverage of FCS in general, so keep that in mind before you start ranting.

only reason i say ASU will win: i've HAVE seen ASU play twice in the past year, and Edwards can carry a team. i still can't decide who to root for, but just as a prediction....

ASU 41
Wofford 24

Skjellyfetti
October 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM
I was trying to read the last few pages to get a feel for the game tonight. Sounds like Welton is going to play? Any other big injury updates? Sounds like the consensus is App by a few in a barn burner.

Yeah, Welton is probable and Leonard Love is questionable.

KiddBrewer
October 31st, 2008, 10:00 AM

you have absolutely no idea what youre talking about when it comes to Breitenstein. Coach Moore and the Breitenstein family are close friends, and Coach knew eric was not considering staying near home to play his college ball, therefore, he didnt waste any time. you keep throwing out this stuff you dont know anything about. that sums it up.

Appguy
October 31st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hopefully Armanti will have a good showing for the national audience. I hope this is a high scoring game.

terrierbob
October 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Seems like folks are happier when they're pissed off.
xrolleyesx