PDA

View Full Version : Luck vs. the fear of Scotty

jmufan999
October 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
before you just write off JMU's last second win as entirely lucky (and the END was obviously very lucky, no one will argue)... if you watched the game, you saw how them being AFRAID of kicking to Scotty changed field position. two AWFUL punts where the guy was just trying desperately not to kick it to him.

that was two drives that gave us EXCELLENT field position. so yes, it was lucky at the end, but without Scotty, they wouldn't have punted that way.

this is what we JMU fans mean when we believe that we have a lot of weapons that can beat different teams in different ways.

disclaimers:
-before you get all pissy and say how lucky we were, keep in mind i just admitted the end was lucky
-i'm not saying we can't be beaten, i'm saying we have a lot of weapons

WrenFGun
October 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I actually thought Villanova's poor play-calling resulted in their own demise, beyond the luck. The HB draw on 3rd and 6 was a call played not to lose, instead of to win. Not attempting to punt it out of the back of the end zone with that field position was also a mistake, IMO.

matfu
October 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
before you just write off JMU's last second win as entirely lucky (and the END was obviously very lucky, no one will argue)... if you watched the game, you saw how them being AFRAID of kicking to Scotty changed field position. two AWFUL punts where the guy was just trying desperately not to kick it to him.

that was two drives that gave us EXCELLENT field position. so yes, it was lucky at the end, but without Scotty, they wouldn't have punted that way.

this is what we JMU fans mean when we believe that we have a lot of weapons that can beat different teams in different ways.

disclaimers:
-before you get all pissy and say how lucky we were, keep in mind i just admitted the end was lucky
-i'm not saying we can't be beaten, i'm saying we have a lot of weapons

-a win is a win is a win...the last i checked! I will take any win about any time so congrats to James Madison!

tribe_pride
October 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Why are you so defensive. On the Game Thread, you are already whining about losing 1st place votes and here you are whining about people criticizing JMU as lucky.

Nobody on here denies that JMU has great weapons but even MM said that JMU was lucky to win the game on the hail mary. Good teams win by both skill and luck. JMU has both on their side right now. Great for them.

Quit trying to start fights and enjoy the win.

vaughtdj
October 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
agreed wren. but they were running all over us and there was no reason to think they couldnt get a 1st downn or managable 4th down. jmu was very schizo on defense and was MIA most of the time, but stepped up at rare, but critical times.

alexale23
October 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOis all i got to say

JMad03
October 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, there's no reason to even mention those kind of things. Let people think on their own. All I know is that as a Dukes fan, I'm elated that we won that one. There was a whole lot more to this game than kicking/not kicking to Scotty. Two very good teams in very awful conditions. I don't think either team played to their potential. That being said, I do hope Villanova gets the credit they deserve.
Starting threads like this are just asking for a fight. You can have pride, which I'm sure was your intention, but it comes off as trying to start trouble.
Be happy we won and let other fans make their own assessment.

Longhorn
October 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Why are you so defensive. On the Game Thread, you are already whining about losing 1st place votes and here you are whining about people criticizing JMU as lucky.

Nobody on here denies that JMU has great weapons but even MM said that JMU was lucky to win the game on the hail mary. Good teams win by both skill and luck. JMU has both on their side right now. Great for them.

Quit trying to start fights and enjoy the win.

Amen. You got it exactly right.

Longhorn
October 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM
agreed wren. but they were running all over us and there was no reason to think they couldnt get a 1st downn or managable 4th down. jmu was very schizo on defense and was MIA most of the time, but stepped up at rare, but critical times.

JMU's youth at LB really showed today. The weather sure didn't help either, but Nova took complete advantage. JMU's two frosh LBs didn't tackle well and were often out of position looking confused right up to the point the ball was snapped. But give credit to Talley for a solid game plan and Whitney for playing a superior game, perhaps the best of his career.