PDA

View Full Version : FCS to FBS or D-2 to FCS, and the dying of D-2

woffordgrad94
October 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Which is the bigger step up? In other words, is their a bigger jump in talent going from FCS to FBS, or from D-2 to FBS?

By the way, D-2 schools really seem to be a dying breed these days. More and more d-2 teams move up to D-1 all the time. I guess there is really nothing to gain anymore by remaining a D-2 school.

Appinator
October 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Sadly, there are other things in the world that people value other than college football, which in this case is college basketball.

Most schools are jumping from D-2 to D-1 because of the lucrative basketball money that the NCAA tournament can possibly bring, and the relatively inexpensive costs of maintaining a mid-major program. This is the real cause of the moratorium that the NCAA has currently placed on any school from moving from one division to another.

So right now, it really isn't that big of a problem, because it is impossible.

Jackman
October 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm concerned about Division I Men's Basketball someday being subdivided like Football, or the BCS conferences simply deciding to hold their own private tournament. What could be done to stop them, if they simply decided not to show up for the NCAA tournament?

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm concerned about Division I Men's Basketball someday being subdivided like Football, or the BCS conferences simply deciding to hold their own private tournament. What could be done to stop them, if they simply decided not to show up for the NCAA tournament?

nothing except the public lives for those davidson's and george mason types of runs. If they took out those stories, I think the popularity would fade somewhat.

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM

After SIU wins the national title, they will have a hard time justifying such a split.
:D

BearsCountry
October 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I would say NAIA is the dying breed. D2 will eventual be what the NAIA is today.

kirkblitz
October 25th, 2008, 01:12 AM
what is basketball?

woffordgrad94
October 25th, 2008, 10:12 AM
nothing except the public lives for those davidson's and george mason types of runs. If they took out those stories, I think the popularity would fade somewhat.

Yeah, but people would still watch, just like they still watch BCS bowls in football, and as a matter of fact some stuck-up call-in show guys and sportswriters already think the NCAA tournament should only have the BEST teams, and that auto-bids from small conferences should be eliminated because they are not among the "best" teams. One day, you might see a split in d-1 basketball. But teams would have to host "1-AA basketball" tourney games, as their would be limited interest and attendance if they were played at neutral sites.

woffordgrad94
October 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I would say NAIA is the dying breed. D2 will eventual be what the NAIA is today.

NAIA won't exist in ten to twenty years.

dgreco
October 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
NAIA won't exist in ten to twenty years.

If the NCAA creates 4 divisions either a DII-A and DII-AA or DIII and DIV the NAIA will be gone instantly. in either case their will be some support for scholarships and more like teams and it will be a quick demise.