PDA

View Full Version : Who would be GSU's 1st Round opponent?

GSU Eagle
November 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM
We have 1 game left vs. Morehead St. which I expect us to win. If we don't we don't even belong in the discussion as far as the playoffs go.

So what do you guys (or gals) see as our 1st round opponent:

My guess is that we would host Northern Iowa in the 1st round.

Other thoughts?

ButlerGSU
November 8th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I hope they send Coastal over to Statesboro. I hear they travel well and I'm sure our fans would welcome them with open arms.

GoGuins
November 9th, 2005, 07:57 AM
TSN seems to think it will be YSU

Seeds: New Hampshire, Montana, Southern Illinois, Appalachian State

Bracket I: Richmond at Hampton; Coastal Carolina at Appalachian State; Lehigh at Massachusetts; Furman at New Hampshire.

Bracket II: Youngstown State at Georgia Southern; Eastern Illinois at Southern Illinois; Nicholls State at Montana; Cal Poly at Texas State.

GaSouthern
November 9th, 2005, 09:40 AM
if we're home that would be just awesome!!!

The only game that matters is when ASU or the Griz playes GSU for the NC in chatty this year :)

wkuhillhound
November 9th, 2005, 09:59 AM
You never know, if WKU pulls off a road victory over YSU and beats FIU. WKU could be visiting GSU? I don't know however that GSU would want to play us though. ;)

blueballs
November 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM
You never know, if WKU pulls off a road victory over YSU and beats FIU. WKU could be visiting GSU? I don't know however that GSU would want to play us though. ;)

Oh absolutely!!! We have some unfinished business from 2002... ;)

ravinggoat
November 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
GSU @ Hampton 1st rd

blueballs
November 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM
GSU @ Hampton 1st rd

That'll work too! Although I don't think they'll make us travel the first round, and I can see App State or Furman in your future.

PS: This sounds trite but after the Wofford and ASU games I'm just glad we're here.

gsugt1
November 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM
PS: This sounds trite but after the Wofford and ASU games I'm just glad we're here.
Yep !! Who would have thunk it. I think the team, Coach Sewak and staff have stepped up big time.

griz37
November 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Send em up to Missoula!!! We would welcome them w/open arms. We have a score to settle from '00. I think the Griz Defense is finally recovered from Adrian Peterson.

SpiritCymbal
November 9th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I would love nothing more than to have the Eagles play in Montana! That would be PERFECT!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I would love nothing more than to have the Eagles play in Montana! That would be PERFECT!

You're crazy. I actually want to WIN the NC...now if we were hosting them (like we could have last year had we not choked) that would be a different story. GSU/Montana is a game that doesn't happen as often as it should (three times in the last 10 years or so)

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 06:51 PM
How 'bout an ASU/GSU second-rounder up here? Anybody interested?

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 07:21 PM

I think ASU, GSU, & Furman should all get together and duke it out over who gets to host Coastal in the first round. Or at least odd man it. :cool:

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM

I'd bet the committe would send us down to the burro instead since we already had em in Boone.

Jaques
November 9th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I think ASU, GSU, & Furman should all get together and duke it out over who gets to host Coastal in the first round. Or at least odd man it. :cool:

:anim_chai

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I'd bet the committe would send us down to the burro instead since we already had em in Boone.

No way. We'll be seeded (hopefully), and we have a higher average attendance. That'd be some HUGE bulls--t if they would make us come to their house. Don't seeds pretty much guarantee at least 2 home games unless your attendance is pathetic?

chantster
November 9th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Interesting.

Lets say Coastal could choose between the three.

Hmmmmm.......

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM
No way. We'll be seeded (hopefully), and we have a higher average attendance. That'd be some HUGE bulls--t if they would make us come to their house. Don't seeds pretty much guarantee at least 2 home games unless your attendance is pathetic?

Heh, kind of weird quoting myself, but I did some math for the Mountaineer board and this is what I came up with, which might or might now be important. It should be informative for non-ASU fans as well, just wanted to let ya'll know why it's all "US" and stuff...

OK, I did some math here (not my strong suit) and realized that we could easily become the #1 I-AA school in attendance on Sat.

Montana currently occupies the #1 spot with an average 23,267 attendance.

We are second with an average attendance of 22,364.

With Montana's last two games on the road, we can take the lead if we can pack a meager 25,976 fans into KBS on Sat, which would give us a higher attendance average by ONE! With all the help it sounds like we'll be getting from CCC, we can EASILY do this! BRING EVERYBODY YOU KNOW! Let's pack a record-setting crowd in on Sat. to watch us re-claim the Jug!

Attendance numbers can make a difference in deciding whether we get home or away games. Hopefully we'll have a seed so we won't have to worry about it for the first two rounds, but it can't hurt! And as far as I know, App State has never held the I-AA attendance record...

Tod
November 9th, 2005, 08:17 PM

I'm pretty sure if you're seeded, you play at home as long as you meet the minimum bid requirement (regardless of attendance) and don't meet a higher bid. So, yes, you are correct (if I'm correct). :) :)

I-AA Fan
November 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Seeds are seeded permanently ... or as long as they survive. Home is home until the final. Or if you have to play a higher seed.

Personally, I am not convinced that GSU deserves a home game at 8-3, with quality loss to ASU and questionable losses to McNeese and Wofford. ASU, Furman, and Hampton deserve higher consideration (assuming everything stays as is). The only other post-season clubs from the south, at this point are Coastal (?), SC State(?), & GSU. If both SCS & CCSU make it ... then ... maybe. But attendnace is certainly in your favor.

Also, I don't think YSU would mind traveling to GSU. At this point, they would be ecstatic just to be in the field of 16. Also, I don't believe they have ever lost in Statesboro ... I think they are 5-0 including 2 games that were not against GSU. Maybe 4-0 with 1 game not against GSU. When did they move the title game to Huntington? 91, or 92?

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I dunno, not usually unless it's a waaay higher seed, especially first round.. There was talk tonight at the Mountaineer Club about there might be a change by the committee to a different arrangement pertaining to seeds, but they may have been talking about implementing it next year.
If I'm not mistaken, in the past, the first couple rounds are HEAVILY dependent on the $$ bids but with seeding considered and possible past attendance figures for play-offs.
Sadly,our first round attendance has been mediocre and not much related to our reg season attendance.
It is possible for games to be played at a lower seed..and I'm a little suspicious that they might juggle the seeding to coincide with the venue placement. Maybe I'm getting a little on the conspiracy wagon a bit??

Anyway, I don't think actual seeding for the first round has been done in the very recent past. In fact, i know starting in the 9-11 year, they weighed heavily on keeping teams in their geographic region rather than using seeding to match up opponents. i.e. seeding only after the first 8 had been eliminated??

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Seeds are seeded permanently ... or as long as they survive. Home is home until the final.

Personally, I am not convinced that GSU deserves a home game at 8-3, with losses to ASU and Wofford. ASU, Furman, and Hampton deserve higher consideration (assuming everything stays as is). The only other post-season clubs from the south, at this point are Coastal (?), SC State(?), & GSU. If both SCS & CCSU make it ... then ... maybe. But attendnace is certainly in your favor.

Also, I don't think YSU would mind traveling to GSU. At this point, they would be ecstatic just to be in the field of 16. Also, I don't believe they have ever lost in Statesboro ... I think they are 5-0 including 2 games that were not against GSU. Maybe 4-0 with 1 game not against GSU. When did they move the title game to Huntington? 91, or 92?

But I believe the seeding is not done until after the FIRST round???? i.e. they seed the final 8 only. Bid $$ determines the first round locations basically.

Kill'em
November 9th, 2005, 08:33 PM
It all depends on if App. St can win out.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty sure if you're seeded, you play at home as long as you meet the minimum bid requirement (regardless of attendance) and don't meet a higher bid. So, yes, you are correct (if I'm correct). :) :)

That sounds correct...but i might add to your "unless you meet a higher bid"...or a higher seed.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Hopefully we'll have a seed so we won't have to worry about it for the first two rounds, but it can't hurt! ...

Only thing there Kep is that if we happen to get lucky enough to be seeded say 7th, it would still be easy to meet a seed number higher in the second round??????? Right? :(

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Interesting.

Lets say Coastal could choose between the three.

Hmmmmm.......

Russian roullete? :splat:
Which one would you choose?

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Oh absolutely!!! We have some unfinished business from 2002... ;)

Hell App State has some unfinished business from a buncha years with a buncha teams. :(

gsuwinsudont
November 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM

YSU is 3-1 against gsu all time. 1-0 against GSU at Paulson
91 19-17 YSU in Statesboro
92 21-10 YSU @ YSU
93 34-14 YSU @ YSU Quaterfinal Playoff Game
99 59-24 GSU @ Nooga' National Final Game

chantster
November 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Hell App State has some unfinished business from a buncha years with a buncha teams. :(

Geez, if ASU gets a seed and teams have to make the trip to play at Boone, you guys can scratch some names off on your payback list.

Whats the average temp and weather in Boone, from Thanksgiving weekend to Christmas?

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Geez, if ASU gets a seed and teams have to make the trip to play at Boone, you guys can scratch some names off on your payback list.

Whats the average temp and weather in Boone, from Thanksgiving weekend to Christmas?

Who knows? Two weeks ago there were snow flurries. Today I wore a t-shirt to class and was HOT. It doesn't start getting consistently freezing up here until mid-December I'd say.