PDA

View Full Version : YSU'S 2006 Schedule to Have Major Changes

FlyYtown
November 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM
This is important to the board.
1. Liberty does not want to fly here and play us at the Ice Castle next year; so they will be off the schedule.

2. Northeastern wants out of their contract with YSU So they are off the schedule.

That leaves two openings. Athletic Director Ron Strollo says he is in talks with a Big 10 School for a Money game and and maybe a MAC School as well. WYTV 33 Anchor and Penguins Radio Voice says a game in Happy Valley vs. Penn State is a likely possiblity. Maybe a Kent State or Akron or another MAC School as well.

And if we do play Penn State; and Josh Swogger from Wash State transfers and starts for us next year; he will face another QB from the same high school..

Go Guins

DetroitFlyer
November 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Have your AD call Ted Kissel at Dayton. We need to have the 1-AA Championship of Ohio! All time, UD has never lost to YSU. It is about time we give you guys a chance to get even!

CCU2003
November 8th, 2005, 06:08 PM
SERIOUSLY, have your people call our people! We have no problem going on up to Ohio, and Im sure your boys would like a trip to Myrtle Beach.....WE need solid competition.....MAKE THE CALL!!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2005, 06:08 PM
... WYTV 33 Anchor and Penguins Radio Voice says a game in Happy Valley vs. Penn State is a likely possiblity...

:rolleyes:

This will not happen. First of all, PSU already has their 2006 schedule filled after signing Temple for next year. Second, Joe Pa does not like scheduling I-AA's.

I'd love Lehigh to play PSU, too. But "likely possibility"?

FlyYtown
November 8th, 2005, 06:15 PM
:rolleyes:

This will not happen. First of all, PSU already has their 2006 schedule filled after signing Temple for next year. Second, Joe Pa does not like scheduling I-AA's.

I'd love Lehigh to play PSU, too. But "likely possibility"?

1. Penn State plays LA Tech and they don't want to play then; they want the $$$ and more YSU Fans would go to Happy Valley than LA Residents up to State College.

2. The 12 game rule has been added and most if not all the Big 10 Schools want by next year to have a D1AA school; well most by 2008 from what I hear...

And CCU; any strong competition is good. But I am betting we go after Kent or Akron and they whimp out; and if we do play them; our transfer who will play next year will show up their player; may as well have it in Youngstown as well; we average 6-8,000 more per game

Paladin1aa
November 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Bad news travels fast. YSU will be loaded next year with most of this team returning and hot transfers lining up.

Nobody wants the Guins next year !! :p

Hansel
November 8th, 2005, 06:51 PM
SERIOUSLY, have your people call our people! We have no problem going on up to Ohio, and Im sure your boys would like a trip to Myrtle Beach.....WE need solid competition.....MAKE THE CALL!!!!
What's the farthest CCU has traveled for a FB game?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Bad news travels fast. YSU will be loaded next year with most of this team returning and hot transfers lining up.

Fans must really want a title in 'Guin land. Coach is taken the K.C Keeler plan for a run at the title. NOT saying there's anything wrong with that. Although i think a lot of UD's troubles this year are as a result of using transfers. I think it hurts the depth/experience of the 4 year players. That's why KSU has fallen off the face of the earth. The JUCO well isn't as deep in Manhatten. They loaded up with JUCO's, actually improved recruiting classes compared to the 90's, but weren't able to develop that inhouse talent.

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM

PITT.......STUCK IT UP DUH PENGUIN EGG-HOLE!

YEAH.....'GUINS.......GO GET PENN STATE.....FO' NEXT YEARS BIRD BATH!

BUK...BUK..BUK...BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK! :nod:

mainejeff
November 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Too bad that Youngstown dropped Maine off their schedule this year. Unlike Northeastern, we probably would have fufilled our end of the bargain.

Happy scheduling! :)

SochorField
November 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM
YSU-
UC Davis has 3 open slots....Swogger to YSU? wow, thats pretty cool.

CCU2003
November 8th, 2005, 08:10 PM
We'll play you guys for pennies! Our AD will pair us with any big name, honorable I-AA that calls first....Coach Bennett gets what the AD gives and first call first serve....Call CCU and you got us!!! I think it would be in your best interest..... :)

siugrad99
November 8th, 2005, 08:51 PM
So there is Paladin, I was wondering how long he'd be away after the SIU loss :) Funny how he keeps his trap shut about how "overrated" SIU is now.

Paladin1aa
November 8th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Detroit Flyer-- I'd like that game. Call Strollo and we'll give you a check !! :p

FlyYtown
November 8th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I'm all for the Dayton game as long as we can get a MAC Game as well such as our buddies in KENT AND AKRON.... Wanna Pack the DIX Stadium or the Rubbers Bowl? You Never Have and Never Will; Time for a game at a stadium nicer and with a decent crowd and a name that is Rated PG; YSU Stambaugh Stadium..

Down with the Foe!
November 9th, 2005, 07:42 AM
IS there a link somewhere talking about swogger transfering to YSU?

I guess I missed this.

P.S.

Why don't you bring those Guins out in September or mid October and play the Griz. Funny thing, no one is going to want to play our boys either next two years. Hmmmmmm. Sounds like a home & home in the making.

GoGuins
November 9th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Have your AD call Ted Kissel at Dayton. We need to have the 1-AA Championship of Ohio! All time, UD has never lost to YSU. It is about time we give you guys a chance to get even!

I would gladly accept Dayton on YSU's schedule, they are I-AA (eventhough non-scholie) and would be seen that way in the eyes of the committee. Don't take offense to this Flyer, but I think the game would be over well before halftime in favor of YSU :D

GoGuins
November 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
IS there a link somewhere talking about swogger transfering to YSU?

I guess I missed this.

P.S.

Why don't you bring those Guins out in September or mid October and play the Griz. Funny thing, no one is going to want to play our boys either next two years. Hmmmmmm. Sounds like a home & home in the making.

I would love to play the Griz also, great atmosphere, fans, & tradition at both schools. I wouldn't mind a trip to my old homestead MT.

As far as Josh Swogger coming to YSU, it's all over the news here. Something official should be announced by Jan. If it comes true it will be awesome to see Swogger connecting to his old HS teammate Louis Irizarry for YSU. They played at Ursuline HS which is right down the street from the YSU campus and they play their home games at YSU. Add to the mix Miles Williams (Michigan State) and they will bring some excitement to the passing game. These 3 are Youngstown area players and are coming back home, typical of a YSU I-A transfer. . Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy) & Paul McGuire (ESPN NFL) also played at Ursuline HS. :D

GoGuins
November 9th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I'm all for the Dayton game as long as we can get a MAC Game as well such as our buddies in KENT AND AKRON.... Wanna Pack the DIX Stadium or the Rubbers Bowl? You Never Have and Never Will; Time for a game at a stadium nicer and with a decent crowd and a name that is Rated PG; YSU Stambaugh Stadium..

I'm tired of Kent & Akron. Why not Miami, BGSU, or Toledo? Toledo was supposed to happen in 2001 but because of that unfortunate day (9/11) we ended up playing Marshall in Nov. and almost beat the Herd :mad:

henfan
November 9th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Although i think a lot of UD's troubles this year are as a result of using transfers. I think it hurts the depth/experience of the 4 year players.

Wa-wa-whaaaat?! Not to get off topic, but this comment demonstrates you have very little clue what's going on with UD football. Very little. The use of transfers has had zippo to do with UD's depth issues in '05, no matter how you might want to spin it.

In I-AA, there's very little room for depth on a roster consisting of 63 equivalancies. There is absolutely no team in the country that could have remained competitive sustaining the nature and number of injuries UD has had in '05. UD has had to play an inordinate amount of young players this year, due to injuries to upper classmen. (Incidentally, most of the injured players weren't transfers.)

Using true and redshirt freshmen should help UD build depth for the future, provided those same young guys don't succumb to injury themselves next season. It's no coincidence that UD was near the top of the pack in '03 and '04- years they experienced comparatively few injuries.

The bad news for Mountain Hawk fans is that fewer UD injuries will probably lead to fewer former UD players transferring into Lehigh.

henfan
November 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Back on topic. YSU cancelled a series with Delaware earlier this decade and we picked up Georgia Southern. Maybe something good can come out of the Northeastern cancellation for the Penguins.

Good luck.

bodoyle
November 9th, 2005, 08:10 AM
The furthest we have traveled for a game was @ Moorehead St in Kentucky (28-7 W).

Other distances...Jacksonville, Fla and App St. Most other away games were closer in NC, and SC.

IaaScribe
November 9th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Liberty and Youngstown State are still going to play down the road (as will Liberty and Lehigh), but the Flames already were loaded down with non-conference roadies next year (Towson, Wake Forest, Rutgers) and didn't want to play six away games.

I think Lehigh is set for 2008.

bluehenbillk
November 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Penn State has an opening on 9/16/2006.

It's reported on page 67 of this morning's Philadelphia Daily News that Louisiana Tech has backed out of their game with the Nits next season due to scheduling conflicts with the new alignment of the WAC.

GoGuins
November 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I don't know who FlyYtown's sources are, but everything he predicts seems to come true. What ever happened to the game with Ohio State in 2006?

Paladin1aa
November 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Some OSU guys say that may not happen til '08.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
It'll be interesting to see if PSU does pick up YSU - Penn St has only played one IAA ever, and that was W&M back in 1984. I'm not sure they care greatly about what YSU can bring to the gate - the place is a sell-out regardless of who they play.

ChickenMan
November 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM
It'll be interesting to see if PSU does pick up YSU - Penn St has only played one IAA ever, and that was W&M back in 1984. I'm not sure they care greatly about what YSU can bring to the gate - the place is a sell-out regardless of who they play.

I think Penn St also played Brown... :eek: back in the early '80s. JoePa probably throwing his ole alma mater a bone.

bluehenbillk
November 9th, 2005, 11:24 AM
They did play Brown & PSU has a hard time selling out Beaver Stadium. Penn State sold out only 3 home games this year, OSU, Purdue & Wisconsin, all of which were in the top 5 crowds they've ever had. The 1st 3 games of the year didn't break 100K which meant about 10K empty seats.

Their club seat sales have also been disappointing, even in the 3 sellouts the clubs, (2nd deck in the end zone) are 1/2 filled.

I'm sure with the great year they've had demand will be up again next season.

LacesOut
November 9th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Penn State should get back to playing Pitt, IMO.

Back to YSU, I would love to see UD drop anyone from their OOC for next season to pick up a game with the Penguins.

bluehenbillk
November 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Penn State wants a 2-for-1 with Pitt which they obviously won't agree with.

FlyYtown
November 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
My sources are higher up so they are true.

OSU VS YSU IN 08...
I will have more news at 6 tonight..