PDA

View Full Version : Elon Football Phoenix vs Wake?

SoCon48
October 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Elon to play Wake in 2009? Confirm? Yes or no? Being mentioned on another board.

appfan2008
October 24th, 2008, 12:18 PM
that would be awesome for you guys... i hope you can make it happen...

PhoenixPhan06
October 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Yes this game will happen in 2009 in Winston-Salem but the exact date is yet to be determined. We are also scheduled to play at Duke and Vanderbilt in 2010 and 2011. All are great FBS vs FCS matchups among small private schools and hopefully we can continue the series with atleast one of those teams in the future as we continue build a competitive football program.

appfan2008
October 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
those are great schools you have lined up... they are right up your alley in terms of academics...

ASUMountaineer
October 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I guess Grobe feels it will be over by halftime. He has said that's what he looks for in scheduling an FCS team. That, as he said, is the maine reason he won't schedule Appalachian. I believe he may be underestimating Elon. If I'm correct, not reason they can play App in the future.

mountain_man
October 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Sounds like the Deacs have caught that case of the "chickenshjts" from the girls at Chapel Hill.

GO PHOENIX!!!

PhoenixPhan06
October 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
those are great schools you have lined up... they are right up your alley in terms of academics...

I couldn't agree more. Its nice to see an FBS vs FCS matchup that makes sense every now and then.

I'm really looking forward to the Wake game next year for many reasons:

1) Great potential for annual rivalry given geographical distance between schools
2) Wake is the model for small school/small budget success
3) Great opportunity to expand our local fanbase
4) Potential for local TV coverage
5) The fighting chance that we'll have since we're returning the majority of our play makers.

xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Georgia Tech is also lined up in 2012 or 2013, can't remember which date.

PhoenixPhan06
October 24th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Georgia Tech is also lined up in 2012 or 2013, can't remember which date.

That game will be played in 2013. We're still looking for someone in 2012 so hopefully we can keep it in state with a matchup between either UNC, NC State, or ECU. xprayx xprayx xprayx

biggie
October 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
May try to go to the WFU/Elon game if App is far away that weekend, should be able to get tickets around here pretty easily (work for WF), knowing most Wake fans.

PhoenixPhan06
October 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM
May try to go to the WFU/Elon game if App is far away that weekend, should be able to get tickets around here pretty easily (work for WF), knowing most Wake fans.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Deacon Tower and the other expansion projects completed/underway at BB&T Field!

Saint3333
October 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I couldn't agree more. Its nice to see an FBS vs FCS matchup that makes sense every now and then.

I'm really looking forward to the Wake game next year for many reasons:

1) Great potential for annual rivalry given geographical distance between schools
2) Wake is the model for small school/small budget success
3) Great opportunity to expand our local fanbase
4) Potential for local TV coverage
5) The fighting chance that we'll have since we're returning the majority of our play makers.

xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx

Grobe has been quoted that he wouldn't want to schedule any one FCS team consistently as it would not be good to have a "rivalry" with a program from a lower division. He's also quoted that he would not schedule ASU multiple times on the Charlotte sports talk shows.

It's not academics as ASU and Elon have the same average stats for incoming freshman.

Good for Elon, I'm jealous I enjoyed the days of beating Wake.xthumbsupx

catdaddy2402
October 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
That game will be played in 2013. We're still looking for someone in 2012 so hopefully we can keep it in state with a matchup between either UNC, NC State, or ECU. xprayx xprayx xprayx
Best bet is NC State.

The ECU/Appalachian State game was made because of some shifting of OOC games with NCSU so that ECU could open the renovations at Dowdy-Ficklen with NCSU in 2010. ECU's OOC slate is pretty full until 2015 or so, and typically they prefer ACC or Big East teams OOC.

UNC hasn't played an instate FCS team since well before the division split. The last game against a current FCS team from NC was vs Davidson in 1942. I don't expect to see that change unless the legislature forces them to do it.

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Good luck with that. There is no way UNC is going to play anyone in this state; and it took ECU this long to play App I don't see us coming in there any time soon.

I could see Virginia Tech or Maryland being possible.

biggie
October 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the Deacon Tower and the other expansion projects completed/underway at BB&T Field!
I haven't been over there since it was completed, but have heard the press box/tower is very similar to the new one at The Rock.

SoCon48
October 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Good luck with that. There is no way UNC is going to play anyone in this state; and it took ECU this long to play App I don't see us coming in there any time soon.

Of course. In modern times, Virginia Tech has played SoCon members on numerous occasions. Maryland has played Citadel, WCU, and Wofford in recent years.

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Of course. In modern times, Virginia Tech has played SoCon members on numerous occasions. Maryland has played Citadel, WCU, and Wofford in recent years.

Can only hope since the Tarheels are such wusses when it comes to playing the rest of us.

SoCon48
October 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM

and it took ECU this long to play App I don't see us coming in there any time soon.

It's been ASU's gain. Extremely doubtful ECU would have paid us anywhere close to what Auburn, LSU ( 2 times), Michigan, NC State (5 times), Kansas, Hawaii, Clemson (4 times) , South Carolina (9X) , Virginai Tech (3 times), Wake Forest (22 times) did.

It would have helped ASU's recruiting in the eastern part of NC, though, as it would Elon should they face each ECU.

apppackdad
October 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Elon dial 1-800-Mountaineer for game planning advice.