PDA

View Full Version : TXST Fans Jump All Over AD for Alleged Football Flap

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
This editorial is not going over too well on the Bobcat board after this made the San Marcos Daily Record...not sure who this editorial writer is and if he's a legitimate source (though who is nowadays?), but he did stir the pot some on the Bobcat board...

That is why I found it fascinating that our athletic director spent at least part of the day en route and attending the Texas/Missouri football game.

When our game ended at 6:30 p.m. and U.T. kicked off at 7 p.m. it was obvious to me our A.D.’s commitment was less than our coaches, players and fans who stayed to the end and beyond.

Surely there is something to be said for visible leadership in the face of adversity.

Article: http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/letterstoeditor/local_story_297120745.html
BF Board: http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15929

slycat
October 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Not much can be said for the man as an AD. Though since The Drive has started he got a couple good donations. Other then that nothing.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Lets see, Texas State vs McNeese

or Top 10 matchup Texas/Mizzou (#1 ranked Texas)

Hmm...

Is this really a choice? In my eyes, Texas State is his job, but if hes a fan of the Longhorns, and he has an opportunity to attend the game, can't really fault him for that.

xlolx @ Bobcat fans getting all worked up over this...

KiddBrewer
October 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM

Hmm...

Is this really a choice? In my eyes, Texas State is his job, but if hes a fan of the Longhorns, and he has an opportunity to attend the game, can't really fault him for that.

I respectfully disagree with you on this one........maybe it's because im spoiled and our AD is great, but since he is getting paid by the university to look after its athletics, and especially since football is the sport that has the most of the schools money tied to it, i think he should be there.xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM

Hmm...

If our AD left our game to go see a Hokies game, #1 vs #2, whatever ... I would be infuriated.

JohnStOnge
October 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM

Hmm...

It wasn't the game at McNeese. It was Central Arkansas at Texas State. That was a huge game for Texas State in that, had the Bobcats won, they'd have beaten the two teams considered pre season most likely to win the conference and been 2-0.

I agree with Texas State fans. On that one , if he's getting paid by Texas State, he should've been at that game on Texas State's home field.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I respectfully disagree with you on this one........maybe it's because im spoiled and our AD is great, but since he is getting paid by the university to look after its athletics, and especially since football is the sport that has the most of the schools money tied to it, i think he should be there.xcoffeex

If our AD left our game to go see a Hokies game, #1 vs #2, whatever ... I would be infuriated.

It wasn't the game at McNeese. It was Central Arkansas at Texas State. That was a huge game for Texas State in that, had the Bobcats won, they'd have beaten the two teams considered pre season most likely to win the conference and been 2-0.

I agree with Texas State fans. On that one , if he's getting paid by Texas State, he should've been at that game on Texas State's home field.

I stand corrected, I was under the impression that he left the game at Texas State for the Texas game. xoopsx Even if he needed to watch it on TV in the box (does TXST's stadium have box seats?) , he should have been there, at least for a majority of the game. Still is a job tho. xwhistlex

slycat
October 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I stand corrected, I was under the impression that he left the game at Texas State for the Texas game. xoopsx Even if he needed to watch it on TV in the box (does TXST's stadium have box seats?) , he should have been there, at least for a majority of the game. Still is a job tho. xwhistlex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

No.

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

813Jag
October 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I hope at some point Lefluer leaves a Southern game to go to an LSU game.

slycat
October 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
It was also our homecoming so he should have been there.

BearsCountry
October 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Mizzou's AD is Texas State's old one.

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Mizzou's AD is Texas State's old one.

So he can't go see him later in the game? He could be late to the UT-UM game.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
that's just plain inexcusable. please give me an AD that cares about the university.

i feel stupid even asking for that. i mean, yah...dumb. i'm not giving another red cent to the university's athletic department until that guy is gone.

are you freakin serious? wow, i'm just a lil pissed right now...

BEAR
October 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe the A.D. is tired of the Texas State coaching efforts also.....xlolx

I bet Bearkat fans would love to see their A.D. and head coach go to another game........ and never come back......xlolx

McNeese75
October 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Kinda reminds me of going to the McNeese vs Nebraska game a few years ago and seeing our former AD dressed in a friggin green shirt without a speck of MSU bling on him xwhistlex

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 23rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Kinda reminds me of going to the McNeese vs Nebraska game a few years ago and seeing our former AD dressed in a friggin green shirt without a speck of MSU bling on him xwhistlex

Maybe he was thinking of the green he got from the game???

crossfire07
October 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I bet the ones whining the most wasn't at the game either.

GeauxLions94
October 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Maybe, he wanted to see what a full stadium looked like. xwhistlex

Thank you! I'll be here all week! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Just kidding Cat fans ... not good to have LT in Austin instead of San Marcos

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
If true, that's truly pathetic. It would be the equivalent to cutting your job early in order to go to a party hosted by a competitor - or former boss.

Again, if true, I think the fans reaction is perfectly justified. Texas State pays his salary and expects him to do his job. There had better be a good reason for him to leave his job early, and if the answer isn't "Texas State athletics" that's the wrong answer.

McNeese75
October 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe he was thinking of the green he got from the game???

nawww, wasn't even a money green shirt :D

nmatsen
October 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Here's the dish. If you wouldn't say it in an interview, you probably shouldn't do it. I would bet that he interviewed very well and talked a big game of his loyalty to TSU. He probably spoke highly about "raising the bar" at TSU and bringing them to the a level the other state schools are at. The people he asks money from week in and week out were still in San Marcos, why did he leave.

Tell us potential AD candidate, what do you plan on doing to improve the atmosphere at our football games?

"well, I think we should start our games earlier so I can make it to Austin in time for kickoff"

I would bet that wasn't an answer he gave in the interview process.

TXST_CAT
October 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I think if h was there to discuss our efforts to move up to FBS with an old buddy he may have done more good in that some will credit him with. In College football as in all businesses it's good to have friends in high places.

It's rumored Alden and Ties are friends, I just hope the drive was being discussed.

http://mutigers.cstv.com/genrel/alden_mike00.html

Mike Alden
Position:
Director of Athletics
Leading Missouri through the evolving world of intercollegiate athletics is Director of Athletics, Mike Alden. Entering his 10th year as chief executive for the Mizzou Nation, Alden has taken a lead-by-example approach to his core principles of academic integrity, social responsibility and competitive excellence, and has guided Missouri's 20-sport program to one of its most successful all-around performances in school history.

Entering his 23rd year as an athletics administrator, Alden has grown from being a special assistant to the director of athletics at Arizona State University in 1985, to earning his first director of athletics role at Southwest Texas (now Texas State) in 1996. Alden took over the Tiger program on July 16, 1998, and has led a department renaissance that has included facility upgrades for nearly every athletics program, a tripling of the department's annual operating budget, record-setting and Big 12 Conference-leading academic success and across-the-board athletics achievement like never seen before in Columbia.

Highly-regarded among his peers, Alden's success at Missouri has earned him national notoriety amongst the NCAA hierarchy. A member of numerous NCAA committees, Alden has helped to drive policy that has not only shaped the current landscape of intercollegiate athletics, but has paved the way for the future growth of college sports as a whole.

Just a few of Mike Alden's NCAA and Community Committees

NCAA Management Council
Division I Athletics Directors Board of Directors
National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics Executive Committee
NCAA Oversight and Management Group
Faculty Member on the Division I Athletics Directors Institute
United Way Board of Directors Member
Commerce Bank Board of Directors
Former Chair of the Football Bowl Licensing Committee

FormerPokeCenter
October 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Maybe, he wanted to see what a full stadium looked like. xwhistlex

Or, maybe he's a Texas A&M graduate and he really thought he was starting "The Drive from I-AA to I-A?"

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Looks like the Bobcat nation may have over-reacted. We'll see what they say in response to this one...in which a player's dad vouches for the AD's attendance...

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/letterstoeditor/local_story_298102958.html

HPCAT
October 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Looks like the Bobcat nation may have over-reacted. We'll see what they say in response to this one...in which a player's dad vouches for the AD's attendance...

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/letterstoeditor/local_story_298102958.html

Bobcat Nation ?, you mean the 4-5 posters that are commenting on this topic represent the entire Bobcat nation ? They represent all 29,000 students and six figure alumni ? Wow, nothing like sensationalism.

If you would not be so infatuated with portraying TXST in a negative light, and were actually more responsible in your posts, this would have never made this board and blown over in a day. Terror, you are the only one that over reacted in this situation, as this type of drivel is great to fire up posters uninformed as to the real facts.

If you have complaints or issues with the students or employees of TXST, I sit next to numerous VPs at home games, including VP of Student Affairs, so let me know and I will pass them along, anything I can do to improve my fine University.

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Only 4 or 5 posters have expressed negative emotions towards LT? About this issue, perhaps, but there's LT threads on your fan forum every week...

I must have lost my reading comprehension skills...must be the state of Texas education. :)

And HPCAT, you and I both know the VPs do not matter. The student government skips around those blokes...

crossfire07
October 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I think people are making a big deal out of nothing. the man went to a UT game instead of the one being played by his employer. SO WHAT! this is about as stupid as the man working for coke trying to be fired for drinking a pepsi.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 25th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I think people are making a big deal out of nothing. the man went to a UT game instead of the one being played by his employer. SO WHAT! this is about as stupid as the man working for coke trying to be fired for drinking a pepsi.

haha, wow...i'd say it's a BIT different.

Cat79
October 26th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Another typical Texas Terror post. He is always trying to dig up dirt on Texas State. Pay attention to your over rated team dumb butt!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Sam Houston is now 0-3 in conference.

UCABEARS75
October 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
It was also our homecoming so he should have been there.

In my opinion, who should have been there whether it was homecoming or not.

Why on earth would he want to see TX/Missouri play instead of the team who pays his salary?

Secondly, I was at the game and it was over very early as we ran the ball a lot and the clock ran. Heck, I stayed in Austin and I was back in Austin before the Texas game started and I hung aroung the stadium in San Marcos and visited for 30 minutes or so.

If I had a vote, he would have been fired before he got home that night.

UCABEARS75
October 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I am in the wholesale beverage business. It is not acceptabel for an employee to consume competing products.

chrisattsu
October 27th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I am in the wholesale beverage business. It is not acceptabel for an employee to consume competing products.

True that. I did marketing and promotions for the local Anheuser Busch distributor right after graduation. I would have been fired on the spot if I had been caught drinking a Miller product.