PDA

View Full Version : Princeton retiring No. 42 worn by 1951 Heisman Award winner Kazmaier and Bill Bradley

Go...gate
October 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Kazmaier's story provides great perspective on the power of "Ivy Group" teams before the beginning of formal play in the Ivy League in 1956. The exploits of Bill Bradley, one of my all-time favorite players, are also briefly discussed.

http://www.nj.com/princeton/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/12247347489090.xml&coll=5

brownbear
October 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
They advertised this last weekend at the Brown-Princeton game. Sounds very cool.

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Kazmaier is in my father-in-law's class.

bulldog10jw
October 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
The subject of retiring numbers came up at Yale a couple of times, since there have been two Heisman trophy winners who played for Yale. The thought was that Yale (and Harvard and Princeton and Penn, I suppose) had so many of their greatest players play before there even WERE numbers, that it couldn't(shouldn't) be done.

brownbear
October 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
The subject of retiring numbers came up at Yale a couple of times, since there have been two Heisman trophy winners who played for Yale. The thought was that Yale (and Harvard and Princeton and Penn, I suppose) had so many of their greatest players play before there even WERE numbers, that it couldn't(shouldn't) be done.

In college football, because there are so many people on teams and the teams change every four years, it's impossible to retire numbers. The best thing to do is to create a hall of fame or a monument park like Yankee Stadium.

In basketball, you could do it because there are plenty of numbers and much smaller teams.

bulldog10jw
October 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
In college football, because there are so many people on teams and the teams change every four years, it's impossible to retire numbers. The best thing to do is to create a hall of fame or a monument park like Yankee Stadium.

In basketball, you could do it because there are plenty of numbers and much smaller teams.

The Celtics may run out of numbers, though. :p

Have the Yankees run out of single digit numbers?

Go...gate
October 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
The Celtics may run out of numbers, though. :p

Have the Yankees run out of single digit numbers?

I think they still have 2 and 6. I can't help noticing they have some players in the 60's even during the regular season.

I don't believe Colgate has ever retired a jersey in football. There was discussion about retiring Van Eeghens #32 but it fizzled out in the late 1970's.

DFW HOYA
October 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
The Celtics may run out of numbers, though.

21 numbers retired.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_accomplishments_and_records