PDA

View Full Version : Best FCS Writer / Coverage

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
In my opinion, hands down, would have to be Bruce Dowd for the CAA. I find myself looking forward to his articles every week and think he gives great coverage to the teams in the CAA. I think Tribe14SF put it best

"If you guys aren't reading Bruce's columns at College Sporting News, you should start. We have the best writer covering I-AA on our conference beat, and his coverage is extensive, and well informed. In addition to his early week feature, his late week column covers everyone in the conference with remarkable depth."

Just curious to see what other teams in the CAA and teams outside the CAA think about him. I think my only issue with him is that his articles generally don't come out until Thurs. and it kills me having to wait all week to read them xsmhx Bruce if you read the forums keep up the EXCELLENT work.

813Jag
October 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
I'd say Joseph Schiefelbein, he covers Southern and the SWAC very well. He tells it like it is and doesn't pull punches.

andy7171
I agree. Bruce Dowd does an excellent job in both breaking down the previous weekends games and previewing the up coming match ups.

TexasTerror
I'd say Joseph Schiefelbein, he covers Southern and the SWAC very well. He tells it like it is and doesn't pull punches.

He's out the window though...poor guy. Liked the laid back atmosphere with Southern as it was not hard to get much access and now he's off to LSU, right?

Hoyadestroya85
October 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Mr. Dowd, Hands down..

McNeese72
October 23rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
The McNeese fans miss McBeat. :(

Doc

sharkeycox
October 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Doc is right. McBeat did a fabulous and honest job. When Lamar starts playing again they will have a great one in Beaumont.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Regardless of what some here think I believe Mr. C is a very good writer and a great person. He has morals but also tells it like it is. It just seems that people on here believe they are perfect or know more about FCS than people who do nothing but follow it daily while they are at their jobs. Mr. C is a great guy for those who have not met him and he really does things for the right reasons, something can't be said about many writers or publishers out there.

terrierbob
October 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Todd Shannesy, Spartanburg Herald-Journal. He has Terrier stories in the paper at least 3-4Xs a week, had a blog from Missoula last year, mentioned the terrierfans.com site. Todd's a great supporter of Wofford; he's extremely well-versed in the SoCon and FCS in general. He's not lost his objectivity or ability to constructively criticize.

GSUhooligan
October 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Matt Yogus for the Statesboro Herald

JagHammer
October 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM

I definitely concur. One of his articles gave boost to the expansion of Mumford.

Syntax Error
October 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
On the national beat there is one thing in common among all the writers... they are all current or former columnists at College Sporting News! xnodx CSN has seven writers and TSN has one. All of them do a superb job.

I'll categorize them this way...

LOOOOOOOOONG articles:
Bruce Dowd (CAA)
Myron Hosea (SOCON/BIG SOUTH)

Pretty long articles:
Chuck Burton (NATIONAL)
Dave Coulson (NATIONAL)

Medium length articles:
Kent Schmidt (BIG SKY/MVFC/GWFC)
Jason Plotkin (SOUTHLAND)
James D. Horne (OHIO VALLEY)
Brandon Williams (SWAC)

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Some of my favorites that weren't mentioned yet:

Allan Lessels (New Hampshire)
Kellis Robinett (Idaho State)
Keith Groller (Lehigh)

DFW HOYA
October 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Groller does a good job, agreed.

One certainty, though: you won't find a Washington DC based writer (or coverage) on the list, since they ignore it. xsmhx

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Is Kevin Tresolini still around? He covered the Blue Hens very well.

slycat
October 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Chuck Burton is my current favorite. Mr. C is getting better as time goes on, but Sports Network still isn't as good as it used to be.

The only thing I miss about the current "National" articles is that they no longer give quick previews or guessing of non top 25 games. Since the Bobcats aren't in the top 25 much they get ignored. I know it takes a lot of time to add those guesses, but it a lot of fun to read.

slycat
October 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
I also like the articles by Keith Irizarry on the SME site.

The Cats
October 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Keith Jarrett is a pretty good homer for asu at the Asheville Citizen-Times.....xcoffeex

ashram
October 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
I like what I've read by Chris Lang (http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/sports_blog/article/liberty_report_week_9_picks/9698/), even if he does pick App. State.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Easy pick - Bruce Dowd.

JMU DUUUKES
October 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
EASY - Bruce Dowd. He has this narrative flare where you can really tell her cares about what he does.

MR. CHICKEN
October 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Is Kevin Tresolini still around? He covered the Blue Hens very well.

YEAH!

WVAPPmountaineer
October 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
On the national level I do believe David Coulson is doing a great job - as for a targeted area it is no doubt Bruce Dowd - As an loyal APP follower, I don't always agree with his prognostications but he does outstanding work covering the CAA and I read his work religiously. He has a true passion for what he does - I truly admire that!!! ---

GeauxLions94
October 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Heard he's about to head over to the LSU beat with all the defections from the Baton Rouge Advocate.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Chris Lang is better than all the writers listed here.

You wish your beat writer was as cool as Chris Lang.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
He's out the window though...poor guy. Liked the laid back atmosphere with Southern as it was not hard to get much access and now he's off to LSU, right?

Joe still covers SU during the week. I think they send to LSU on gamedays though and send other reporters to cover SU on the weekends. Joe is a excellent reporter and does a excellent job on the SU beat. xthumbsupx

Monarch History
October 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I like both Dowd and Lang. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Ditto on Dowd.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
The McNeese fans miss McBeat. :(
DocNot just McNeese fans miss him.

proasu89
October 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Not on the national level, but Tommy Bowman of the Winston-Salem Journal does a GREAT Job of covering the Mountaineers. xnodx

Syntax Error
October 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
yes, and Don Heath at GSU