PDA

View Full Version : Samford attendance

dungeonjoe
October 23rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
great to see!
---
"Pop quiz: Which Southern Conference football team has enjoyed the largest increase in attendance this season?

OK, aside from three-time defending national champion Appalachian State, which some people think is in the wrong league, anyway.

It's not Elon, which has rocketed from the league basement into the FCS Top 10 in record time under coach Pete Lembo. It's not The Citadel, which opened state-of-the-art club seating and skyboxes to much fanfare at Johnson Hagood Stadium. And it's not Wofford, which continues to pile up rushing yards and wins at an alarming rate.

The answer is SoCon newcomer Samford University, the small private school of about 4,500 students in Birmingham, Ala., that joined the league this year.

Samford, which plays host to The Citadel on Saturday, has drawn an average of 8,394 fans to 6,700-seat Seibert Stadium this season. That's an increase of 2,630 fans per game over the 2007 season, Samford's last in the Ohio Valley Conference, and a full 3,074 fans more per game than the Bulldogs drew in 2006. "

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/oct/23/socon_suits_samford_just_fine58887/

eaglewithabus
October 23rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
its probly because the visiting schools acctually have fans that travel.

CamelCityAppFan
October 23rd, 2008, 07:36 AM

Maybe, but does it really matter? It's great for Samford to have more fans in the stadium, even if a significant amount of the incremental is from the visiting team. Those visitors will spend money in the concession stand and at the ticket office, which does nothing but help Samford's program.

So good for Samford! xthumbsupx

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
yeah take out the over 10k that was there for the ASU game and you get a different story... they still are near the bottom of overall attendance... so...

OL FU
October 23rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
Is Congratulations that difficult to sayxeyebrowx xrotatehx

Congrats guys and I hope it continuesxnodx

Cocky
October 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Several Samford fans were disappointed in the number of App fans that showed for the game. Plus Samford had a good crowd for the West Georgia game. I also doubt Samford will play anyone from the SOCON that will ever bring more fans than JSU, A&M, Miles. These schools are just too much closer for any SOCON school to reach their attendance level. With all of this said I believe the attendance increase is mainly from the Samford fans being excited about a change.

SoCon48
October 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
I think it is remarkable and worthy of praise. From 2 fans to 4 is amazing.

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Here comes certain fans with their size matters stuff in 3.... 2.... 1.... oh wait, they're already posted xrolleyesx

OLDMAIN80
October 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
I plan on attending the Wofford game at Samford this year and wasn't worried about tickets, based on this thread I better get on the phone today and order some.

asu70
October 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Several Samford fans were disappointed in the number of App fans that showed for the game. Plus Samford had a good crowd for the West Georgia game. I also doubt Samford will play anyone from the SOCON that will ever bring more fans than JSU, A&M, Miles. These schools are just too much closer for any SOCON school to reach their attendance level. With all of this said I believe the attendance increase is mainly from the Samford fans being excited about a change.

I made the trip and would estimate about 500 Apps at that game. I know that's not very many but we traveled a long ways to get there. I'm surprised at the attendance and how good a team Samford has. Good job SU.

pcguy09
October 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
I highly recommend traveling to the samford game. Its a gorgeous campus and very neat stadium with the visitors being on the original Home side and the home fans having to walk across the way to get to their seats. I think it has something to do with the sun or something. But my sister is a cheerleader there and when PC played them last year on a thursday night, PC had more fans than samford did. Granted it was raining so any PC fans traveling had to go to the game, but still. Its great anytime FCS attendance is on the rise.

whoanellie
October 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
probably lost Auburn Fans, thinking HC, Pat Sullivan was still playing

SU DOG
October 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words. We know we still have a ways to go, but attendance has grown to the point where a stadium expansion is planned. Our home side is packed to the point of being uncomfortable and ridiculous with people standing 4-5 deep. I believe that this is all indicative of a new feeling of optimism for our future and excitement at being a member of the SoCon. xsmileyclapx

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the kind words. We know we still have a ways to go, but attendance has grown to the point where a stadium expansion is planned. Our home side is packed to the point of being uncomfortable and ridiculous with people standing 4-5 deep. I believe that this is all indicative of a new feeling of optimism for our future and excitement at being a member of the SoCon. xsmileyclapx

lets see that stadium capacity get to over 10k and then we will talk..

dungeonjoe
October 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM

sounds it is more than just visitor attendance driving the increase--- congrats again and welcome to the SoCon.