PDA

View Full Version : SCSU Bulldogs on display nationally (ESPNU)... again!

R.A.
November 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
All eyes will be watching SCSU again on ESPNU Thursday night

SCSU needs to win ‘pretty’ to earn playoff bid
By THOMAS GRANT JR.
T&D Senior Sports Writer

Winning pretty. It’s what South Carolina State football team looks to accomplish as it enters the home stretch of the regular season. With their fourth appearance and second straight nationally-televised game on ESPNU against Morgan State Thursday at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium, followed by the annual “grudge match” with North Carolina A&T in Charlotte, N.C. on Nov. 19, the 17th-ranked Bulldogs have two more chances to enhance their case for an at-large Division I-AA playoff bid.

Earning that bid took on an added urgency when Hampton clinched the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference’s automatic play-off berth with a 24-10 win over Bethune-Cookman on Saturday. SCSU (7-2, 5-1) could still earn a share of the conference regular-season title should they win their final two games and Hampton loses to Florida A&M on Saturday.

Don’t expect Pough to be ’scoreboard watching’ this Saturday after the outcomes of the Hampton/Bethune-Cookman and Furman/Georgia Southern (won by the Golden Eagles 27-23) games did not come out in his favor.

“After Furman’s game last week, I decided that we need to get out of the scoreboard-watching business because the very first score that I asked after we had gotten done (against Howard) on Saturday was Furman and I heard that they lost,” Pough said.

So like a contestant in a pageant, SCSU is hoping to look their best before those Division I-AA playoff selection committee who may be watching the Bulldogs’ last two games closely.

“We kind of think that it’s a beauty contest of sorts,” Pough said Monday. “You’ve got to do all you can to be as impressive in this venue. It’s a national television game. All of the poll sayers, the committee members ... all have an opportunity to see us play. We need to go out and play good.”...

Copyright © 2005, The Times and Democrat
All rights reserved

SpiritCymbal
November 8th, 2005, 12:18 PM
SCSU needs to win ‘pretty’ to earn playoff bid
By THOMAS GRANT JR.
T&D Senior Sports Writer

.....Don’t expect Pough to be ’scoreboard watching’ this Saturday after the outcomes of the Hampton/Bethune-Cookman and Furman/Georgia Southern (won by the Golden Eagles 27-23) games did not come out in his favor....

Superb writing skills! :eek:

There goes the credibility for that one......

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
this game should not even be close if SCSU is a playoff caliber team

arranger101
November 8th, 2005, 01:22 PM

It shouldn't be

:spank:

putter
November 8th, 2005, 01:31 PM
What's your secret? How do we get the Griz on the U?

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 01:33 PM
What's your secret? How do we get the Griz on the U?

It's a secret code and it's four letters long.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 01:46 PM

:deadhorse i've said that before and i was bashed for it

# 1 BearBooster
November 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I just hope we don't embarrass ourselves on national T.V.

Morgan State's Football Program has been down for 20 plus years. This was a once proud program with a long legacy of great football. The program produced 4 NFL Football Hall of Famers. They were Lenny Ford, Roosevelt Brown, Leroy Kelly and Willie Lanier. Also, a host of NFL players. In fact I was in school during the 60's with many potential NFLer's. We went 34 straight under the Great Coach Earl Banks (College Football Hall of Fame) and won the Atlantic Coast NCAA College Championship in 1966.

arranger101
November 8th, 2005, 02:48 PM
GET READY FOR A LONG DAY #1 bearbooster.

:cool:

# 1 BearBooster
November 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
arranger101: Running the score up on us will not improve your chances. I believe a simple win will almost insure that you guys will receive a at-large bid.

We're just a program that's trying to regain some respectability. I know our guys will try their best to do just that.

I wish you guys well. I wish our guys even better.

siugrad99
November 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
NO way in hell the MEAC gets 2 teams. Please start using your head and realize that the 4th best team in the A10, Big Sky & Gateway all are better than a 9-2 SCSU team. Hate me for saying it, but I am speaking the truth. I'd be curious to find someone other than a SCSU fan or Hampton fan who disagrees with me.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
arranger101: Running the score up on us will not improve your chances. I believe a simple win will almost insure that you guys will receive a at-large bid.

thats relative, however i disagree

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
NO way in hell the MEAC gets 2 teams. Please start using your head and realize that the 4th best team in the A10, Big Sky & Gateway all are better than a 9-2 SCSU team. Hate me for saying it, but I am speaking the truth. I'd be curious to find someone other than a SCSU fan or Hampton fan who disagrees with me.

This is a foolish outlook. SCSU has a pretty good chance of getting an at-large bid simply because there is potentially a shortage of eligible teams, plus their 9-2 record is attractive and they could be ranked in the top 15 in the polls. Whether or not we think they are good enough to be there is a separate argument.

# 1 BearBooster
November 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
siugrad99 and AppGuy04: I hear you. However, it remains to be seen. I am aware of how you guys feel about SCSU's schedule and MEAC strength. It's
just my feeling they will get in if they beat Morgan and A&T as weak as those two teams are.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:23 PM
siugrad99 and AppGuy04: I hear you. However, it remains to be seen. I am aware of how you guys feel about SCSU's schedule and MEAC strength. It's
just my feeling they will get in if they beat Morgan and A&T.

that wasn't my point, they might get in, yes, but should they IMO, no

# 1 BearBooster
November 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
AppGuy04: I understand.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:38 PM
AppGuy04: I understand.

if you wanna take care of it for me, please be my guest

R.A.
November 8th, 2005, 04:31 PM

... and I bleed Bison Blood!

R.A.
November 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM
that wasn't my point, they might get in, yes, but should they IMO, no
... If you're in consideration for an At-Large, then you probably deserve to be in the playoffs, because that means you handled your business on the field w/ wins. Every year a bunch of teams deserve to be in, but will they get in...NOPE.
-A 9-2 SCSU Bulldogs team, deserves to be in the playoffs... point blank.
-And fair warning to whomever they play, since Buddy Pough has been the Bulldogs' Coach, they have added a win to their record every year. 7-4, 8-3, 9-2... If they make the playoffs, I'm expecting them to get that 10th win. The South Carolina State University Bulldogs are dangerous folks.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 04:42 PM
... If you're in consideration for an At-Large, then you probably deserve to be in the playoffs, because that means you handled your business on the field w/ wins. Every year a bunch of teams deserve to be in, but will they get in...NOPE.
-A 9-2 SCSU Bulldogs team, deserves to be in the playoffs... point blank.
-And fair warning to whomever they play, since Buddy Pough has been the Bulldogs' Coach, they have added a win to their record every year. 7-4, 8-3, 9-2... If they make the playoffs, I'm expecting them to get that 10th win. The South Carolina State University Bulldogs are dangerous folks.

who have they beaten to deserve this bid? their best wins were against FAMU and Delaware St, both teams barely over .500

R.A.
November 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM
who have they beaten to deserve this bid? their best wins were against FAMU and Delaware St, both teams barely over .500

-Consistant... 1.) (Possibly)two straight 9-2 seasons back 2 back, 2.)they beat the 2004 SWAC Conference Champion Alabama State in Alabama, 3.)they lost a by 4 to their own 2005 conference champion and the #2 team in the country by 4 points, 4.)and they lost to the #9 team in the country by 1 point.

-Some of these things may help them, some may hurt the, but regardless, all of thes things make them legit At-Large bid contenders. Just admit it.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
-Consistant... 1.) (Possibly)two straight 9-2 seasons back 2 back, 2.)they beat the 2004 SWAC Conference Champion Alabama State in Alabama, 3.)they lost a by 4 to their own 2005 conference champion and the #2 team in the country by 4 points, 4.)and they lost to the #9 team in the country by 1 point.

-Some of these things may help them, some may hurt the, but regardless, all of thes things make them legit At-Large bid contenders. Just admit it.

1. So what, playoffs are not decided on last year
2. SWAC is the worst conference in the nation, so that not saying much, besides Alabama St hasn't beaten anyone either and their GPI is 63, right below Citadel, which is 2-7 in the SoCon
3. I've said this before, Hampton is in the same boat as you, just a little better, they aren't that good, and that will be proven in the playoffs, seeing as they are already in
4. and as far as the Coastal loss goes, that team has been scrutinized up and down, so I still see nothing solid

R.A.
November 8th, 2005, 05:23 PM
SCSU- legit At-Large bid contenders. Just admit it. The truth will set you free.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM
SCSU- legit At-Large bid contenders. Just admit it. The truth will set you free.

provide solid evidence, wins, etc and i'll admit it

i'm rationale only when provided sufficient evidence

and the evidence i see thus far is that they are mediocre

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 03:56 PM
provide solid evidence, wins, etc and i'll admit it

i'm rationale only when provided sufficient evidence

and the evidence i see thus far is that they are mediocre
FREEDOM... EVERYONE WANTS IT!

89Hen
November 10th, 2005, 04:57 PM
C A S H?

Retro
November 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM
A 6-3 Mcneese team will get an at large before a 9-2 SCSU! Now, Mcneese just has to win out againest NWST and Nicholls first!

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
A 6-3 Mcneese team will get an at large before a 9-2 SCSU! Now, Mcneese just has to win out againest NWST and Nicholls first!

-McNeese is a heavy at- large contender, as is SCSU.

inpsite1919
November 10th, 2005, 11:23 PM
SCSU 65 Morgan 15

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Just has to win at Nicholls? That is a huge just. Texas State won 49-7 against McNeese and lost to Nichols in a close game. How does that figure out to be a given? I think if they do win those two games then maybe they should be b/c Nicholls ST is going to be a huge win for them, with how everything is your conference seems to be shaping up.

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 11:49 PM
SCSU 65 Morgan 15

-Looks like they are playoff caliber too me... anyone else?

FlyBoy8
November 11th, 2005, 01:48 AM
I don't get how anyone could think running the score up against weak teams would do anything other than piss off Morgan and NCAT. They could beat them both 100-0 and it wouldn't make any difference at all. They missed their chances.

That's what I said last night. It's still true. Morgan and NCAT are a combined 5-16, doesn't matter what SCSU does to them.

A playoff-caliber team would have beaten Coastal Carolina and/or Hampton.

Bulldog87
November 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I hate using the word if,but I wonder what would folks would say if we had held on to the 10point lead that we had over #2 Hampton and the 13 point lead we had in the 2nd half vs #9 Coastal Carolina. If we beat A&T and finish 9-2 with losses to 2 top 10 teams by a total of 5 points (Assuming Hampton and Coastal win out) it'll be sad to be left out of the playoffs.

AppGuy04
November 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM

They won as they should have, but however you spin it, they are stll a bubble team, and IMO will be sitting home for the playoffs, sorry to say

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM
They won as they should have, but however you spin it, they are stll a bubble team, and IMO will be sitting home for the playoffs, sorry to say
There are several arguable "playoff caliber" teams that will be sitting home this year. It seems that amongst a lot of the conferences there is a greater degree of parity than in years past. I think when the teams come out there will be some weeping and gnashing of teeth. GPI will be pointed out, SOS will come out from every side and it will all be fruitless except to make sure that the next year they play a better schedule or win every last durn game (not against DII) to get in.

AppGuy04
November 11th, 2005, 10:14 AM
There are several arguable "playoff caliber" teams that will be sitting home this year. It seems that amongst a lot of the conferences there is a greater degree of parity than in years past. I think when the teams come out there will be some weeping and gnashing of teeth. GPI will be pointed out, SOS will come out from every side and it will all be fruitless except to make sure that the next year they play a better schedule or win every last durn game (not against DII) to get in.

YES! She finally gets it!

Hamptongal
November 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM
YES! She finally gets it!
Hmmm, I got it a long time ago. But thanks APPGuy, wouldn't be a day without ya.

TypicalTribe
November 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM

I think SCSU deserves to be in the mix, but I would have them 11th on a list of at-large contenders right now. However, there's a decent shot that 3 of those teams will be knocked out by selection time, so SCSU still has a pretty good shot.

GSU
UMass
Cal Poly
Furman
Texas St
UNI
WKU/YSU winner
Mont St
CCU
Richmond
SCSU
Colgate
Ill St.

89Hen
November 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
GSU
UMass
Cal Poly
Furman
Texas St
UNI
WKU/YSU winner
Mont St
CCU
Richmond
SCSU
Colgate
Ill St.
If you're going to have Montana State on the at-large list (this would assume that Montana beats them to get the auto) you really should have listed the EWU/MSU winner, no? I think you may have CalPoly a little high on that list. Considering they didn't get in at 9-2, I would be surprised to see them as the second at-large chosen at 8-3. I'd also say Coastal is a mortal lock to get a bid.

BigApp
November 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Sorry guys, the committee is NOT giving 3 at-large bids to the state of South Carolina: (Furman, SCSU, Coastal) :twocents:

2? Maybe, but not 3. Who's the odd-man out?

TypicalTribe
November 11th, 2005, 11:43 AM
If you're going to have Montana State on the at-large list (this would assume that Montana beats them to get the auto) you really should have listed the EWU/MSU winner, no? I think you may have CalPoly a little high on that list. Considering they didn't get in at 9-2, I would be surprised to see them as the second at-large chosen at 8-3. I'd also say Coastal is a mortal lock to get a bid.

I had Cal Poly that high because they have a relatively easy remaining schedule and should be a lock at 8-3. I think Coastal will get in but if the following scenario occurs, does CCU get in?

Texas St and Nicholls St win out (SLC gets 2 teams)
UNH and UMass are in and Richmond wins out (A-10 gets 3?)
Furman, GSU and ASU win out (SoCon gets 3)
Montana State wins out (Big Sky gets 2)
UNI beats SIU (GFC gets 3?)

With auto-bids for the Patriot, MEAC and OVC, that's 16 bids if Richmond and 3 Gateway teams make the field. In that scenario, I've also left Cal Poly out, so who would CCU get taken ahead of?

OL FU
November 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Sorry guys, the committee is NOT giving 3 at-large bids to the state of South Carolina: (Furman, SCSU, Coastal) :twocents:

They may not give three bids to SC teams but not because they are SC teams.

89Hen
November 11th, 2005, 11:45 AM

:confused: Since when is that a consideration?

89Hen
November 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM
In that scenario, I've also left Cal Poly out, so who would CCU get taken ahead of?
Definitely a 6-3 Nicholls and possibly an 8-3 Richmond who lost to Lafayette.

Edit... make that a 5-3 Nicholls (one win was against Cheney).

TypicalTribe
November 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Definitely a 6-3 Nicholls and possibly an 8-3 Richmond who lost to Lafayette.

Edit... make that a 5-3 Nicholls (one win was against Cheney).

Nicholls would be the SLC auto-bid in that scenario and Richmond would have gone 7-1 in the A-10 and be the South division winner while their only loss in their last 9 games was at Vandy. Plus, they haven't lost a I-AA game since switching to Tutt at QB. Be tough to leave them out.

Punchykky
November 11th, 2005, 12:35 PM

I find your lack of faith disturbing, young Skywalker! :D

FlyBoy8
November 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Cal Poly didn't get in last year because they had a chance to beat a playoff team and didn't, lost to Davis and played a D-II team.

This year they've beaten a playoff team (both MSU and EWU, so whoever makes it) and played an all-Division I schedule that is tougher than most. Their three losses are to a I-A school, Montana and Davis - nothing to be ashamed of (well, assuming they make the playoffs).

Cal Poly is a lock if they win out. Think of it this way - if they win out and beat ISU, they will be 4-1 vs. the Big Sky (and 2-1 vs. the BSC's top teams) and 4-1 vs. the Great West. Throw in the I-A loss, and that's Cal Poly's record.

I repeat, CP is a lock. IF they finish their business. They control their own destiny.

BigApp
November 11th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Since when is that a consideration?

:rolleyes: Ever since $$$$$$$$ and perception entered the equation. We're talking, what, 40% of the available at-large bids? Whatever the %, it's a large portion for one (relatively) small area.

89Hen
November 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Since when is that a consideration?

:rolleyes: Ever since $$$$$$$$ and perception entered the equation. We're talking, what, 40% of the available at-large bids? Whatever the %, it's a large portion for one (relatively) small area.
I've seen nothing that proves your theory.

R.A.
November 11th, 2005, 05:23 PM

... are playoff caliber teams. That's why they're Bubble teams. If they weren't playoff caliber, they wouldn't even be in consideration. TAKE DEM CHAINS OFF DAWG!!!

siugrad99
November 11th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Serioiusly, be proud of your team for beating the teams they should, but be realistic to the caliber of competition you are playing. I said it before and i'll say it again, No 1A games & nobody other than Hampton that you can call a quality opponent probably leaves you home for the playoffs. You want respect make a respectable schedule. Don't hate as I only speak the truth.

R.A.
November 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Serioiusly, be proud of your team for beating the teams they should, but be realistic to the caliber of competition you are playing. I said it before and i'll say it again, No 1A games & nobody other than Hampton that you can call a quality opponent probably leaves you home for the playoffs. You want respect make a respectable schedule. Don't hate as I only speak the truth.

-I agree about the respectablity statements. But I think SCSU gets in with a 9-2 record. They're bound to move up in the national rankings with the 65-15 victory, and the losses that some of the top ranked teams are going to take this weekend... They're legit man.

FlyBoy8
November 11th, 2005, 06:44 PM
THEY HAVEN'T BEATEN ANYBODY.
:deadhorse

BigApp
November 11th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I've seen nothing that proves your theory.

Theory? How about the history books? According to the NCAA, it's never happened.

R.A.
November 11th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Theory? How about the history books? According to the NCAA, it's never happened.

-What? a 9-2 MEAC school getting in? Bethune- Cookman got in there in 2003 with a 9-2 record. As for the 3 South Carolina teams deal... I don't think that matters.