PDA

View Full Version : New FCS schools

MoreheadEagle
October 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
When the NCAA moratorium on moving from D-II to D-I is up, which schools do you think will join the ranks of FCS? I've heard North Alabama.

jaxstatealum
October 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
West Georgia, Valdosta State

grizbeer
October 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Central and Western Washington

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
I would love to see Carson Newman move up, but doubt that it'll happen.

chrisattsu
October 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I think Tarleton will look at it once some more spots open up in the Southland.

wapiti
October 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Seattle U is moving its basketball from Div II to Div I.

I don't think they have football. (I could not find it on their website.)

If they would ever add football, would it be FCS and be in the Great West?

danefan
October 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
In the northeast, I think a lot will depend on the conference shakeup that is bound to happen.

If, for example, Albany and Central Ct. leave the NEC, I could see a few of the Northeast 10 DII teams ramping up and following in Bryant's footsteps into the NEC. CW Post or Pace perhaps?

gophoenix
October 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
New Haven and UNC-Pembroke

Go...gate
October 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Caldwell College in NJ is talking about going from D2 to D1, but they do not have football.

bincitysioux
October 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Central and Western Washington

They would make alot of sense. Especially Central Washington, they've been quite good for several years now. DII football in the west is even more sparse than FCS football in the west. Central and Western are playing each of their conference opponents twice this season. That sucks. The Great West would like to have one or both of them.

DetroitFlyer
October 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM

UNC-Pembroke is playing some really good football for such a new program. Word is that they landed a number of transfers.... Sure seems to me like they could move up to FCS.

danefan
October 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM

New Haven is an interesting prospect.

Albany's former OC is the head coach there now, Pete Rossomundo. He's a great coach. I don't think there has been any interest. They just brought their football program back this year, but I don't know about their financial status.

They did have a successful DII program before they dropped it. They made it to the DII national championship not too long ago. Plus maybe former coach Tony Sparano could give a littel financial love. Although I'd rather see that happen to Albany where his two sons play.xnodx

grizbeer
October 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM

I don't see SU adding football. They wanted into the West Coast Conference (small Catholic school like all the rest of the schools in that conference) but couldn't get in - I can see them getting in the BSC as a non-football school to even out the BB scheduling (even teams are ideal for BB, odd for football) - there was some talk of adding Denver U when UNC was added a couple years ago, but DU had no interest in the BSC. Seattle as a market is Fullerton's wet dream, so I don't think it will take long to add them. I believe they play BB in Key Arena now that the Sonics are gone.

aceinthehole
October 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
New Haven can't afford the move and and couldn't support a D-I athletic program even if they wanted to. They will stay D-II for a long time.

In New England the only real possiblity would be Bentley. They may have the money and will to do it eventually, if the NCAA requirments don't get more difficult after the moritorium.

But without an invite to a conference, its a big risk for any school to make the jump (with or without football). Just look at NJIT and Longwood and ask if its a good idea.

dgreco
October 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
New Haven can't afford the move and and couldn't support a D-I athletic program even if they wanted to. They will stay D-II for a long time.

In New England the only real possiblity would be Bentley. They may have the money and will to do it eventually, if the NCAA requirments don't get more difficult after the moritorium.

But without an invite to a conference, its a big risk for any school to make the jump (with or without football). Just look at NJIT and Longwood and ask if its a good idea.

UNH actually met the requirements to explore DI, and if the NE10 didn't invite them to join they were going to go through with it. They made it at the deadline along with Bryant, but the NE10 invited them so I doubt we will see UNH any time. They spent the 10-15,000 and are spending the year exploring it, but they won't make the move.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
where would unc pembroke, valdosta, and west georgia play?

i would guess big south

gophoenix
October 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
where would unc pembroke, valdosta, and west georgia play?

i would guess big south

I would think they would be prime for Big South. West Georgia could maybe try to force themselves into the OVC. Who knows, maybe the Southland wouldn't be too bad for them either.

ASUMountaineer
October 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I would like to see Grand Valley St. move up. They've been good at the D-II level, plus I have connections to Grand Rapids and would love for the Apps to make another trip to Michigan. xnodx

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
No Wichita rumors yet?

aceinthehole
October 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
UNH actually met the requirements to explore DI, and if the NE10 didn't invite them to join they were going to go through with it. They made it at the deadline along with Bryant, but the NE10 invited them so I doubt we will see UNH any time. They spent the 10-15,000 and are spending the year exploring it, but they won't make the move.

That was just a ploy to get them in the NE-10. They had been denied access to the NE-10 for years and were stuck in the less competative D-II conferences in NY and NJ. Their intention all along was to get in the NE-10 and bring back football. They just went through that D-I exercise to show a commitment to athletics, once they got the invite, they cancelled their "plans" to reclassify to D-I.

Jackman
October 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM

To play Division I basketball or football, all sports must move to Division I. Otherwise, a Division II school is permitted to play one sport of its choosing (besides football and basketball) at the Division I level.

Any Division I member that starts a new football program must play at least 4 years at the FCS level before moving to FBS.

dgreco
October 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
That was just a ploy to get them in the NE-10. They had been denied access to the NE-10 for years and were stuck in the less competative D-II conferences in NY and NJ. Their intention all along was to get in the NE-10 and bring back football. They just went through that D-I exercise to show a commitment to athletics, once they got the invite, they cancelled their "plans" to reclassify to D-I.

i think that says they want to stay DII. I actually see the NE10 growing adding hte other CT programs Post and Bridgeport, which might leave room for schools like AIC, Bentley or Pace to move up. I doubt CW Post would move up since it is part of LIU. They have good teams, but can the school support both teams?

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
I would like to see Grand Valley St. move up. They've been good at the D-II level, plus I have connections to Grand Rapids and would love for the Apps to make another trip to Michigan. xnodx

I believe the conference said they wouldn't be suprised if half the schools in the Great Lakes moved up.

Silenoz
October 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Grand Valley State is long overdue for a move up

dgreco
October 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Grand Valley State is long overdue for a move up

Don't say that to GVSU fans or to any DII fans.

introvertedGSUfan
October 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I would really like to see Valdosta State move up so that we can have another FCS school in Georgia and the possibility of an in-state rivalry, but I don't see them making that decision.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I don't think they have the budget, but Arkansas Tech would be a great program to move up. They are very similar to UCA and with a few more schollys, they just might do decent in the FCS....but then again as a UCA fan.....(he speaks under his breath..we own them...Wondergirls)...xlolx ..sorry...intense hatred for the golden suns or wonderboys or whatever they are called. xlolx

JMUFortier
October 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing more programs show up in Florida (hopefully non-scholarship;) ... West Florida, North Florida, Stetson, FGCU. I know most of those are D-1 (I think UWF would be the only D-2) but I wouldn't mind seeing these schools starting teams.

whoanellie
October 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I would think they would be prime for Big South. West Georgia could maybe try to force themselves into the OVC. Who knows, maybe the Southland wouldn't be too bad for them either.
Campbell could go Big South when they go scholarship. Don't think UNC-P would get many qualifiers....
Carson-Newman is solid at their level.

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I just think it is inevitable that UNCP moves up. They are in no man's land in D-II. They don't fit in the SAC or CIAA and are too far away from the Gulf South schools. Moving up and going Big South seems to make the only sense for them. And it would give Coastal a relatively close rival.

Plus they are one of the few schools that can move up before the moratorium is over.

CSUBUCDAD
October 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Would love to see Newberry make the move up. They have been a dominate Div II school for years. Would make a great addition to the Big South I think.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I would really like to see Valdosta State move up so that we can have another FCS school in Georgia and the possibility of an in-state rivalry, but I don't see them making that decision.

You'll have Georgia State in a couple years.

It'll be GSU v GSU. I guess we'll all be right in our predictions that week, right? xlolx

appfan2008
October 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM

yeah but with the big south getting an automatic qualifier by then that conference would be as appealing as any other

introvertedGSUfan
October 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
You'll have Georgia State in a couple years.

It'll be GSU v GSU. I guess we'll all be right in our predictions that week, right? xlolx

VSU is extremely competitive right now, whereas Georgia State is starting up from scratch and therefore it'll be longer than just a "couple of years" before they could become a true rival.

Saint3333
October 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
When the NCAA moratorium on moving from D-II to D-I is up, which schools do you think will join the ranks of FCS? I've heard North Alabama.

That will depend on the rule changes if any. I suspect it will be a little harder to move from DII to FCS to FBS once the ban is lifted. I hope they establish minimums for FCS.

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
That will depend on the rule changes if any. I suspect it will be a little harder to move from DII to FCS to FBS once the ban is lifted. I hope they establish minimums for FCS.

What minimums do you want to see?

Saint3333
October 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Scholarships or grants.

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Scholarships or grants.

But i mean, what number?

Saint3333
October 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'd like to see all schools fully fund the 63 scholarship level, but I know that isn't realistic.

80% of the 63 would be 50, 60% would be 38. 60% wouldn't be bad.

bkrownd
October 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'd love to see the scholarships cut approx in half to a more reasonable level and a return to real 2-way players. Football is too big, too bloated, too marketed, too expensive, and run too much like big business.

BearsCountry
October 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Central Missouri could make the move. They have the facilities and fan support and a great all-around program. Perfect fit for Summit League.

Now if there was someway you could put Nebraska-Omaha's football program with Creighton's other sports? ;)

TonkaBison
October 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'd love to see the scholarships cut approx in half to a more reasonable level and a return to real 2-way players. Football is too big, too bloated, too marketed, too expensive, and run too much like big business.

Thinking like that destroyed the old North Central Conference in D-II. It's simple if you don't want to spend the money stay in D-II with their 35 scholarship maximum!

BisonBacker
October 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Thinking like that destroyed the old North Central Conference in D-II. It's simple if you don't want to spend the money stay in D-II with their 35 scholarship maximum!
Took the words right out of my mouth. I can't believe someone would say that on this board xnonono2x It's exactly why I don't think it's a great idea for some of these schools to try to make the move. I'd love to see a minimum scholarship at this level of 63 and make them fully fund it. You don't want to pay move to DII.

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I'd love to see a minimum scholarship at this level of 63 and make them fully fund it. You don't want to pay move to DII.

Most Patriot League fans would take serious exception to such a mandate. The PL competes adequately as is.

Franks Tanks
October 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Most Patriot League fans would take serious exception to such a mandate. The PL competes adequately as is.

Many of the Patriot League schools are very close to offering 63 scholly equiliviencies as it stands. Most of the league would be able to ramp up to that 63 in no time. Anyway the minimum and the max cant be the same number. If want to sent a minimum it would have to be like 55 or so.

JD51
October 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Highly unlikely they'd add football. In the discussion of moving back to D I, SU stated that one of the reasons it was viable is because football is not sponsored (I doubt they could shell out the $$$ to start football). It is a nice thought though.

gjw007
October 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth. I can't believe someone would say that on this board xnonono2x It's exactly why I don't think it's a great idea for some of these schools to try to make the move. I'd love to see a minimum scholarship at this level of 63 and make them fully fund it. You don't want to pay move to DII.

This has been one of the things that has been watering down D2 with new schools coming in that can't or won't afford to go to the allowed scholarship level but wish to lower the scholarship to make themselves more competitive. In reality, if they couldn't compete, they shouldn't have moved from D3 or NAIA to D2. Doing the same argument for FCS also makes little sense. There should be a minimum standard scholarships that is required. If you can't make that number, move down a division. If people thing there are too many scholarships now, they should go back to the 70s or earlier where the D1 schools had over 100 scholarships compared to the current, I believe, 85 scholarships. They use to recruit players, even though they would have limited playing time, just so other teams didn't have them on their team.

BearsCountry
October 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Schools arent moving up bc of FCS football, the main reason is the NCAA basketball tournament, thats why scholarship restricitons for football would be kind of stupid IMO.

Franks Tanks
October 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM
This has been one of the things that has been watering down D2 with new schools coming in that can't or won't afford to go to the allowed scholarship level but wish to lower the scholarship to make themselves more competitive. In reality, if they couldn't compete, they shouldn't have moved from D3 or NAIA to D2. Doing the same argument for FCS also makes little sense. There should be a minimum standard scholarships that is required. If you can't make that number, move down a division. If people thing there are too many scholarships now, they should go back to the 70s or earlier where the D1 schools had over 100 scholarships compared to the current, I believe, 85 scholarships. They use to recruit players, even though they would have limited playing time, just so other teams didn't have them on their team.

In the real old days (pre 1975 or so) it was 50 a year for D-I (FCS or I-AA didnt yet exist)

Model Citizen
October 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
In the real old days (pre 1975 or so) it was 50 a year for D-I (FCS or I-AA didnt yet exist)

No way. The NCAA didn't even put limits on the number of scholarships until '73. And not until much later did the NCAA drop the D-II limit below 60.

yosef1969
October 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Schools arent moving up bc of FCS football, the main reason is the NCAA basketball tournament, thats why scholarship restricitons for football would be kind of stupid IMO.

I think that's why it does make sense. They can't actually afford D-I football and as a result watering down the division in both FCS football and basketball.

IMO if FCS needs minimums of 80% or more. If a school chooses not to fund the program it should not be D-I or a separate subdivision for non-scholly/less than fully funded schools. Still like the notion of an additional tier that sets schollies at a max of 75 and min of 63.

Saint3333
October 25th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Many of the Patriot League schools are very close to offering 63 scholly equiliviencies as it stands. Most of the league would be able to ramp up to that 63 in no time. Anyway the minimum and the max cant be the same number. If want to sent a minimum it would have to be like 55 or so.

Exactly, grants provided by the Patriot and Ivy should count as well.

For the overall strength of the FCS a minimum should be set.