PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Poll

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 10:44 AM
App State plays BSC # 7 LSU in the Bayou loses by 24 pts. Drops from 7th to 8th in I-AA.
No comment.

umassfan
November 8th, 2005, 10:50 AM
App State plays BSC # 7 LSU in the Bayou loses by 24 pts. Drops from 7th to 8th in I-AA.
No comment.
They lost! no comment.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM
No comment.

please do, cause I'm not sure which way u are going with this

bodoyle
November 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
A loss is a loss. Was it a "good" loss? Yes, but you still lost.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I don't think they should have dropped either, but 1 spot we can't really complain about too much

i'll take the 3 1st place votes though

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Actually, it seems to me like it was about the expected result. Texas State and Umass both moved past ASU on the strength of dominant performances and WKU dropped behind them. I don't really see what the complaint would be. It was basically treated the same as if they'd had a bye week, which is about right.

Catmendue2
November 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Since, when was 24 point lost not a blowout. 24 to 0 or 48 to 24 whats the difference. You lost and big.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Since, when was 24 point lost not a blowout. 24 to 0 or 48 to 24 whats the difference. You lost and big.

since its LSU

blur2005
November 8th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Since it was the 5th ranked team in the country. This isn't Kansas...oh wait... :)

HensRock
November 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM
You were SHUTOUT and lost by 4 scores.
That's not a "good" loss, doesn't matter who.
IMO, ASU should consider themselves lucky to only drop 1 spot.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Would you guys say the same thing had it been your team??? GSU gave up 48 points to UGA last year and they stayed put.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM

and Delaware could have done better? Hell, I think any I-AA team wouldn't have faired much better

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM
A loss is a loss. Was it a "good" loss? Yes, but you still lost.

30-3

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM

You would know:

LSU 53
WCU 10

Auburn 56
WCU 0

NCSU 59
WCU 20

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Since it was the 5th ranked team in the country. This isn't Kansas...oh wait... :)

Two words. Coastal Carolina.

Jaques
November 8th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Two words. Coastal Carolina.

I'm not sure I understand this :confused: ....

But I'm with you on the ranking...you shouldn't be penalized for playing an LSU caliber team in the I-AA rankings. That's an obvious flaw in the system.

LacesOut
November 8th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Who is App scheduled to play next?? Miami?? PSU?? Just go D-I already. LOL j/k

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Actually, it seems to me like it was about the expected result. Texas State and Umass both moved past ASU on the strength of dominant performances and WKU dropped behind them. I don't really see what the complaint would be. It was basically treated the same as if they'd had a bye week, which is about right.

Did I complain?

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure I understand this :confused: ....

But I'm with you on the ranking...you shouldn't be penalized for playing an LSU caliber team in the I-AA rankings. That's an obvious flaw in the system.

Just pointing out a little loss that JMU, National Champions had to a two year old program.

Jaques
November 8th, 2005, 12:48 PM
oh...right :o I'm really not stupid, I promise. :p

bandl
November 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Just pointing out a little loss that JMU, National Champions had to a two year old program.

Excuse me...I'm a dead horse, can I come in for a beating???? :p

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM
and Delaware could have done better? Hell, I think any I-AA team wouldn't have faired much better

LSU 37
(SEC) Mississippi State 7

LSU 56
(I-A) North Texas State 3

LSU 34
(SEC) Vanderbilt 6

And we're supposed to consider our 24-0 a butt whipping. Hell, we're just a little ol backwoods hillbilly school populated with Boone Goons.. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Serious question. Has Delaware EVER played a I-A school while they were in the top 10?

Jaques
November 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
LSU 37
(SEC) Mississippi State 7

LSU 56
(I-A) North Texas State 3

LSU 34
(SEC) Vanderbilt 6

And we're supposed to consider our 24-0 a butt whipping. Hell, we're just a little ol backwoods hillbilly school populated with Boone Goons.. :rolleyes:

Didn't you have some good drives in that game? redzone?
for whatever it's worth from a CCU fan, that score is nothing to be ashamed of. f$#* a bunch of polls!

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM

We're waiting for Delaware to take their station among the flagship universities in the nation.

Appdad
November 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM

I needed a laugh today. I hope I can use your quote another day! :) :) :)

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
for whatever it's worth from a CCU fan, that score is nothing to be ashamed of. f$#* a bunch of polls!

***** what polls?

In two of the three polls ASU dropped a spot and stayed put in the 3rd. How were they disrespected? Considering they weren't really penalized for a loss, it seems to me that the voters were giving them credit for a respectable performance.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Three dropped passes while in the red zone.
LSU has already beaten two of their fellow SEC teams worse as noted. Even though a loss, it should make all ASU fans and this year's opponents proud.
Beats all the predictions of a 70 pt loss.
I guess a win over West Chester or somebody would have been better. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Of course, fall in behind those posters who predicted ASU to lose by 50, 60 or more and have a caravan of ambulances hauling off mangled App players. :D

bandl
November 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Three dropped passes while in the red zone.
LSU has already beaten two of their fellow SEC teams worse as noted. Even though a loss, it should make all ASU fans and this year's opponents proud.
Beats all the predictions of a 70 pt loss.
I guess a win over West Chester or somebody would have been better. :rolleyes:

Playing WC or the like this late in the year wouldn't have helped ASU out at all going into the playoffs (and playing WCU, for that matter). I think that playing a fantastic team such as LSU so close will definitely help ASU out in the near future. If they can hang with the big boys of the SEC, they can do some serious damage in the playoffs. You should (and are for the most part) be applauded for the effort against LSU. Dropping one spot in a POLL is nothing to fret about. The way I see it, it could have been simply because of a few blind voters who simply saw a loss as a loss, not as a loss to one of the best teams in all of college football.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Actually we're in danger of overlooking Western Carolina for the roadie with Elon.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Actually we're in danger of overlooking Western Carolina for the roadie with Elon.

no, the boys want the jug back, trust me

bandl
Of course, fall in behind those posters who predicted ASU to lose by 50, 60 or more and have a caravan of ambulances hauling off mangled App players. :D

Please tell me where I said anything about a predicted score between ASU and LSU? You won't find one. I was watching the ticker for that game closely on saturday and was rather elated to see if ended up that close.

My 'dead horse' comment was referring to the JMU/CCU game....everyone knows that CCU beat JMU! In fact (drum roll...........hold the suspense..........here comes the shocking news......), several teams did! :bang:

SoCon48
Playing WC or the like this late in the year wouldn't have helped ASU out at all going into the playoffs (and playing WCU, for that matter). I think that playing a fantastic team such as LSU so close will definitely help ASU out in the near future. If they can hang with the big boys of the SEC, they can do some serious damage in the playoffs. You should (and are for the most part) be applauded for the effort against LSU. Dropping one spot in a POLL is nothing to fret about. The way I see it, it could have been simply because of a few blind voters who simply saw a loss as a loss, not as a loss to one of the best teams in all of college football.

I'm stunned. Maybe it's because I happen to agree, but your post is the most intelligent, objective in the thread.

Hang with big boys...not normally by far, but for game or the first half, it was fun. Of course some think 24-0 was a thrashing. Last year's 54-7 loss to GSU was indeed a thrashing.

bandl
November 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I'm stunned. Maybe it's because I happen to agree, but your post is the most intelligent, objective in the thread.

Hang with big boys...not normally by far, but for game or the first half, it was fun. Of course some think 24-0 was a thrashing. Last year's 54-7 loss to GSU was indeed a thrashing.

Well thanks for the compliment. I DO like ASU you know (please notice how I did not use that 'other' term for ASU you don't wish to see anymore)!!! And I see them going a long way in the playoffs.

Appdad
November 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
"Last year's 54-7 loss to GSU was indeed a thrashing."

Ouch. Why bring that up.

Can I quote the dead horse thing now? :spank:

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Please tell me where I said anything about a predicted score between ASU and LSU? You won't find one. I was watching the ticker for that game closely on saturday and was rather elated to see if ended up that close.

My 'dead horse' comment was referring to the JMU/CCU game....everyone knows that CCU beat JMU! In fact (drum roll...........hold the suspense..........here comes the shocking news......), several teams did! :bang:

Unless your name is "several posters," I didn't say you did predict the score. ;)

BTW, I loved your last paragraph. Maybe it's because I have to see that "National Champions" charicature so often. :D

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM
"Last year's 54-7 loss to GSU was indeed a thrashing."

Ouch. Why bring that up.

Can I quote the dead horse thing now? :spank:

Just to show we know what a real thrashing is at App.

And yeah, go ahead with the dead horse if everyone's quite finished.
There needs to a be a whole forum (not just a thread) dedicated the dead horse.

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Man, some of you App guys are really trying to unseat UMassfan, aren't you?

The flaw in the system, as it pertains to the SN poll, would be if UMass and Texas State, with their WINS, were penalized by App. State's LOSS. That's why you dropped a spot. Two teams, basically right behind you, won. Why again should they not move up?

Furthermore, Furman's loss put them on the move down. But should they go behind a team they beat - who also lost?

I think the fact that App dropped as little as it did shows tremendous respect for the effort against LSU. To expect that you don't move at all, when other teams right around you are winning and a team that also lost actually beat you, is R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Man, some of you App guys are really trying to unseat UMassfan, aren't you?

The flaw in the system, as it pertains to the SN poll, would be if UMass and Texas State, with their WINS, were penalized by App. State's LOSS. That's why you dropped a spot. Two teams, basically right behind you, won. Why again should they not move up?

Furthermore, Furman's loss put them on the move down. But should they go behind a team they beat - who also lost?

I think the fact that App dropped as little as it did shows tremendous respect for the effort against LSU. To expect that you don't move at all, when other teams right around you are winning and a team that also lost actually beat you, is R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

Furman lost to GSU, a team that ASU dominated, so to me thats a wash, irrelevant

and if thats a wash, then ASU only has 2 I-A loses

OL FU
November 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Once again, I am jumping in without reading the entire thread. But I agree 13 and say it less eloquently, somebody sometime in some fashion has to understand that the numbers to the right of the dash are losses. Maybe we should add back the third number since ties are gone and have WIN-LOSSES- LOSSES WE HAD NO CHANCE OFWINNING SO THEY SHOULD NOT COUNT AS LOSSES.

There are losses that people should get hammered badly for, FU to WCU and there are losses that you should get hammered little for, ASU to LSU. but it is still a loss. You are 6-3. You are not 6-1.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Once again, I am jumping in without reading the entire thread. But I agree 13 and say it less eloquently, somebody sometime in some fashion has to understand that the numbers to the right of the dash are losses. Maybe we should add back the third number since ties are gone and have WIN-LOSSES- LOSSES WE HAD NO CHANCE OFWINNING SO THEY SHOULD NOT COUNT AS LOSSES.

There are losses that people should get hammered badly for, FU to WCU and there are losses that you should get hammered little for, ASU to LSU. but it is still a loss. You are 6-3. You are not 6-1.

ignorance is bliss

there is much more to football than the win/loss column, in App's case this is very apparent

McNeese75
November 8th, 2005, 02:29 PM
It was a very competitive game (and a good one for a I-AA school) but you don't go up in the polls for a loss. The fact that you only dropped one spot says a lot!! Take it, be happy and be on your toes for your last two games or all this will be moot.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
ignorance is bliss

there is much more to football than the win/loss column, in App's case this is very apparent

Easy there, Ol FU is a good guy. Maybe the only one over on the Furman board.
But you're right, there's an H of a lot of difference in our OOC losses and many others..even than many people's wins.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 02:36 PM
It was a very competitive game (and a good one for a I-AA school) but you don't go up in the polls for a loss. The fact that you only dropped one spot says a lot!! Take it, be happy and be on your toes for your last two games or all this will be moot.

Funny thing, many teams would only drop that much if they lost to the #1 in I-AA???
If we'd lost by the 50-70 most people predicted, we'd have dropped out of the whole top 25. :nod: :nod:

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 02:36 PM
But you're right, there's an H of a lot of difference in our OOC losses and many others..even than many people's wins.

i know he is, it just ticks me off when people try and say we didn't play well, when they are playing D2 teams and weak I-AA's, and here we are showing the nation that we can play with the best

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Yep, but we are 6-1 vs I-AA competition FWIW.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
i know he is, it just ticks me off when people try and say we didn't play well, when they are playing D2 teams and weak I-AA's, and here we are showing the nation that we can play with the best

And we have that said by a ton of posters. :(

#7 in I freakin' AA loses to the #7 in I freakin' A by 3 1/2 TD's and drops.
It's all nuts.
I just hope we now make a SIX game run. If ya know what I mean.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
And we have that said by a ton of posters. :(

It's all nuts.
I just hope we now make a SIX game run. If ya know what I mean.

I don't mind us dropping 1 spot, but I do mind people saying that we got "waxed" when I know that their team would not have done any better

I mean, if I'm not mistaken, this was the closest I-AA game LSU has ever played, so thats proof enough right there

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
It's all nuts.

Can you please explain what should have happened?

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Furman lost to GSU, a team that ASU dominated, so to me thats a wash, irrelevant

and if thats a wash, then ASU only has 2 I-A loses

Holy Convience Batman!

You've got to be frickin' kidding me!

You think head to head competition should be washed out by the fact that a team you beat beat that team you lost to? WTF?!?!?

It's not a wash. FU beat App. End of story.

OL FU
November 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
ignorance is bliss

Thank God, I could not make it otherwise :D

I should clarify. In my poll I had App fourth last week. You stayed fourth even though FU lost. SIU (whether you agree or not) moved ahead because of a good win. In other words, you didn't get credit in the poll for playing a good game but losing and SIU got credit for playing a good game an winning.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Holy Convience Batman!

You've got to be frickin' kidding me!

You think head to head competition should be washed out by the fact that a team you beat beat that team you lost to? WTF?!?!?

It's not a wash. FU beat App. End of story.

simple fact is, ASU is 6-1 in I-AA games, that one loss coming on blocked field goal, and of those 7, the only one that has been close has been the Furman game, yes they beat us, but we have been a more solid team this year

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I should clarify. In my poll I had App fourth last week. You stayed fourth even though FU lost. SIU (whether you agree or not) moved ahead because of a good win. In other words, you didn't get credit in the poll for playing a good game but losing and SIU got credit for playing a good game an winning.

I believe I did the exact same thing. No way I'd bump ASU down for that performance, but had to give the Salukis some credit for the big win.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM

i kinda figured we would lose a couple spots, so only losing 1 or so doesn't bother me in the slightest

but what does bother me is when people treat that game like LSU is the same as any other I-AA school, if we wanted a game we could win, we would have scheduled such, but we wanted a challenge, I think we played admirably, obviously some of you guys don't think so, but when your team has zero I-A games on the schedule, you can't criticize us for playing as we did

OL FU
November 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Thanks, and by the way I think you have a life. :D
But you may have me confused with someone else, I rarely venture to the UFFP. I do occasionaly view but for the most part keep my mouth shut. Those guys are a bunch of A (better stop here) :D

Jaques
November 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM
i kinda figured we would lose a couple spots, so only losing 1 or so doesn't bother me in the slightest

but what does bother me is when people treat that game like LSU is the same as any other I-AA school, if we wanted a game we could win, we would have scheduled Coastal again :nod: 30-3, but we wanted a challenge, I think we played admirably, obviously some of you guys don't think so, but when your team has zero I-A games on the schedule, you can't criticize us for playing as we did

I knew what you meant. :nod:

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I knew what you meant. :nod:

hey, don't put words in my mouth ;)

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 03:15 PM
but what does bother me is when people treat that game like LSU is the same as any other I-AA school

If they did, you would have dropped 8 or more spots (like Furman) but probably more than that if it was a 24-0 loss.

OL FU
November 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM

but what does bother me is when people treat that game like LSU is the same as any other I-AA school, if we wanted a game we could win, we would have scheduled such, but we wanted a challenge, I think we played admirably, obviously some of you guys don't think so, but when your team has zero I-A games on the schedule, you can't criticize us for playing as we did

I understand, but understand why it is difficult to compare teams records (and I aint' talking about CCU) Furman would love to have a I-A. Did not get one. Does that mean our record should be looked at in less regard. Should we really be considered to have three losses instead of two. Also, from the post here, ASU got two I-A's , but only wanted one. If you had played another solid I-AA (instead of LSU) would might still have lost. All things considered, I think ASU is held in high esteem based on their ranking. It all has to be taken in context. And all things considered you have to get or diminish credit unless you win.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
If they did, you would have dropped 8 or more spots (like Furman) but probably more than that if it was a 24-0 loss.

the pollsters obviously saw my point, you however have not

the "a loss is a loss" argument is a crock, there are so many other factors that should be used to judge a game

if all that mattered was winning, then Hampton would be #1 and Coastal #2, but thats not the case

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
simple fact is, ASU is 6-1 in I-AA games, that one loss coming on blocked field goal, and of those 7, the only one that has been close has been the Furman game, yes they beat us, but we have been a more solid team this year

You're about 3 posts away from being annointed the new UMassfan in my book.

Here's an equation I like to live by:

Results on the field > comparative results from other games

Anything else and I'll ask if you want some whine to go with that cheese.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I understand, but understand why it is difficult to compare teams records (and I aint' talking about CCU) Furman would love to have a I-A. Did not get one. Does that mean our record should be looked at in less regard. Should we really be considered to have three losses instead of two. Also, from the post here, ASU got two I-A's , but only wanted one. If you had played another solid I-AA (instead of LSU) would might still have lost. All things considered, I think ASU is held in high esteem based on their ranking. It all has to be taken in context. And all things considered you have to get or diminish credit unless you win.

but saying, you are 6-3, not 6-1 is correct, but its just not that simple

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:21 PM
You're about 3 posts away from being annointed the new UMassfan in my book.

Here's an equation I like to live by:

Results on the field > comparative results from other games

Anything else and I'll ask if you want some whine to go with that cheese.

i could go look up the facts, GPI, etc. but I won't because you obviously don't care, so I'm not gonna waste my time

Furman and ASU are comporable teams, thats my stance, the fact that it came down to a last second field goal block should show you that

guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Furman and ASU are comporable teams,

I will TOTALLY give you that. My entire point is that is why they are ranked right next to each other, but head to head gives FU the nod.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I will TOTALLY give you that. My entire point is that is why they are ranked right next to each other, but head to head gives FU the nod.

on "any given saturday" the big 3 in the SoCon could beat each other, i just see ASU as the most complete team of the 3