PDA

View Full Version : UT Martin-Jax St. Game on ESPN U tomorrow night

hawkeye
October 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
The Skyhawks plan to show off their new FieldTurf playing surface and a defense that is ranked first in the nation in fumbles recovered and 13th in sacks per game. The Skyhawks offense is second in the nation in scoring and 18th in rushing offense.

Jacksonville State plans to show off transfer quarterback Ryan Perrilloux who was dismissed from LSU after being named the Most Valuable Player of the Southeastern Conference championship game. Perrilloux completed 18 of 20 passes in Jax State's 31-21 victory over OVC foe Murray State last week.

Predictions?

danefan
October 22nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
My prediction: E$PN will say "Ryan Perrilloux who was dismissed from LSU after being named the Most Valuable Player of the Southeastern Conference championship game" at least 50 times during the broadcast.

In all seriousness, I am really looking forward to this game. Its a great chance to see a good OVC matchup that will have a direct effect on the FCS playoffs this year. Awesome that its on national TV.

Gamecocks99
October 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Predictions: After a hard fought game Thursday night. The Gamecocks of Jacksonville State University rise up and turn yet another corner along the road to a successful 2008 season in the OVC.

Jacksonville State Gameocks win by 7 points in Martin, TN

MoreheadEagle
October 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
This has the makings of a good game. I've been pleased with the OVC games that I've seen this season. Most have been pretty entertaining.

jaxstatealum
October 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Tough one... Martin certainly looks like a force to deal with. I'm just always concerned about the strength of our conference. That translates into frustration as the OVC and JSU never seem to get any respect - anywhere; regardless of our past success at other levels.

Maybe, just maybe this game will give the nation a chance to see that the OVC really does have some talent and can play deep into the playoffs. Okay... enough of my babble; gotta go with my heart:

COCKS 24
baby birds 21

bigbluetiger
October 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Go Sky Hawks!

jaxstatealum
October 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Go Sky Hawks!

xnonox is that because you can't beat the COCKS xwhistlex

813Jag
October 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
xlolx xlolx

jaxstatealum
October 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
xlolx Ahh... let the trash talk begin xnodx

bigbluetiger
October 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM

I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home. xlolx

jaxstatealum
October 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home. xlolx

xeekx xlolx xlolx xlolx

jsugamecocks1
October 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
My prediction is that the cocks will win by 3 in a thriller. I will be there i cant wait

JBRiner
October 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
I think its going be a nail biter for both teams but I think JSU will come out on top.

JSU's band is traveling to the game to support the team, and hopefully our fans will be able to make a good showing.

Looking forward to it!

Go Gamecocks!!!

My guess:

JSU- 24
UTM-21

bigbluetiger
October 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
should be a good game. I'll be watching.

Cocky
October 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
JSU 28
UTM 13

OSRacer
October 22nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Damn...now thats funny...

hawkeye
October 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
My prediction is that the cocks will win by 3 in a thriller. I will be there i cant wait

Great little Italian restaurant a block away from the stadium. Can’t remember the name but just ask around when you arrive. Nice folks in Martin. Just the football players are mean as hell.:D

Jiggs
October 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
UTM 21
JSU 14

Weems
October 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Great little Italian restaurant a block away from the stadium. Can’t remember the name but just ask around when you arrive. Nice folks in Martin. Just the football players are mean as hell.:D

Veranda Restaruant. As a college student, its not overly priced for Italian.

Anyways, UTM is prepared. They know if they lose this game they are out of the OVC Race. Simpson and the rest of the coaching staff will have them ready for this.

I believe that DJ Miller will bring the pressure to Perriloux.

Go Skyhawks!

UTM 24
JSU13

JaxSinfonian
October 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
28-24 Jax State.

It'll be a good one. Glad it's on TV. Hope Martin, Tenn. is prepared for the Marching Southerners.

jaxstatealum
October 23rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Damn...now thats funny...

WOW... such an insightful post xrolleyesx Would've had more bite had you guys won last week xwhistlex

OSRacer
October 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
WOW... such an insightful post xrolleyesx Would've had more bite had you guys won last week xwhistlex

Yall played a good one, and congrats on the win....

jaxstatealum
October 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks. I will say this, you guys have got one heck of a team and in the coming years will be a team to deal with in the OVC. xthumbsupx That will hopefully help our conference :D

Gamecocks99
October 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Veranda Restaruant. As a college student, its not overly priced for Italian.

Anyways, UTM is prepared. They know if they lose this game they are out of the OVC Race. Simpson and the rest of the coaching staff will have them ready for this.

I believe that DJ Miller will bring the pressure to Perriloux.

Go Skyhawks!

UTM 24
JSU13

Our O Line has Noticed Mr. Miller and the other strong players on Martin's D Line. The Gamecocks will be prepared for your Defense. JSU wins by a TD after a a hard fought game.

Gamecocks99
October 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
What is the weather like tonight in Martin, Tennessee for the game? Rain ? Correct ? If so How Much Rain ? And does the field drain well ? Martin this year has a new playing surface correct ?

Weems
October 23rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
At kickoff, there is a 70% chance of rain :(.

Martin did get a new field this year, Field Turf. It drains extremely well.

JSU02
October 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
28-24 Jax State.

It'll be a good one. Glad it's on TV. Hope Martin, Tenn. is prepared for the Marching Southerners.

True dat. Might not be much of Martin left after halftime. xlolx

Gamecocks99
October 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
At kickoff, there is a 70% chance of rain :(.

Martin did get a new field this year, Field Turf. It drains extremely well.

Martin, TN Weather Forecast
Updated 3:21 AM CDT THU OCT 23 2008

.NOW...SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE OVER THE MID SOUTH TODAY. THE HEAVIER RAIN IS OVER NORTHEAST ARKANSAS AND THE MISSOURI BOOTHEEL. PATCHES OF MODERATE RAINFALL ARE ALSO OCCURRING OVER SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE. EXPECT AMOUNTS OF A QUARTER TO HALF INCH BY 9 AM. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OVER THE REST OF THE MID SOUTH WILL GENERALLY BE LESS THAN ONE QUARTER INCH. A RUMBLE OR TWO OF THUNDER IS POSSIBLE AS WELL. ALL THE RAIN WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NORTHEAST BETWEEN 30 AND 40 MPH. SHOWERS CAN BE EXPECTED NEARLY ALL DAY TODAY.

Today
Chance Of T-Storm
Hi: 69°
POP: 60% A chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...Then showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Tonight
Thunder Storms
Lo: 51°
POP: 100% Showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening... Then showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight. Chance of rain near 100 percent. :(

Gamecocks99
October 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
ORANGE OUT SET FOR ESPNU GAME AGAINST JACKSONVILLE STATE
October 22, 2008

MARTIN, Tenn. --- An "Orange Out" has been set for Thursday night's UT Martin football game against Jacksonville State at Hardy M. Graham Stadium on campus.

Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m.
All fans are encouraged to wear Skyhawk Orange for the national television audience on ESPNU. Charter Communications customers can watch the game on Channel 302. ESPNU can be seen on DirecTV Channel 614 and Dish Network Channel 148.

Jacksonville State enters the game with a 5-2 overall record and a 3-1 mark in the Ohio Valley Conference. The Gamecocks are ranked No. 20 in the Football Championship Subdivision Coaches Poll. UT Martin sports a 6-2 overall record and a 4-1 OVC worksheet. The Skyhawks are receiving votes in both the FCS Coaches Poll and The Sports Network's FCS Poll.

The OVC battle features two teams with one conference loss each who are trying to keep up with league-leading Tennessee State who is 3-0.

"Playing on ESPNU is awesome for the OVC and UT Martin," said Skyhawks head coach Jason Simpson. "It's great for all the student-athletes."

The Skyhawks plan to show off their new FieldTurf playing surface and a defense that is ranked first in the nation in fumbles recovered and 13th in sacks per game. The Skyhawks offense is second in the nation in scoring and 18th in rushing offense.

Jacksonville State plans to show off transfer quarterback Ryan Perrilloux who was dismissed from LSU after being named the Most Valuable Player of the Southeastern Conference championship game. Perrilloux completed 18 of 20 passes in Jax State's 31-21 victory over OVC foe Murray State last week.

jaxstatealum
October 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
My prediction: E$PN will say "Ryan Perrilloux who was dismissed from LSU after being named the Most Valuable Player of the Southeastern Conference championship game" at least 50 times during the broadcast.

Make that 60 times xrolleyesx as much as I love the Gamecocks I'm tired of hearing that too. Let's just play football xthumbsupx

Gamecocks99
October 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
ORANGE OUT SET FOR ESPNU GAME AGAINST JACKSONVILLE STATE
October 22, 2008

MARTIN, Tenn. --- An "Orange Out" has been set for Thursday night's UT Martin football game against Jacksonville State at Hardy M. Graham Stadium on campus.

Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m.
All fans are encouraged to wear Skyhawk Orange for the national television audience on ESPNU. Charter Communications customers can watch the game on Channel 302. ESPNU can be seen on DirecTV Channel 614 and Dish Network Channel 148.

Jacksonville State enters the game with a 5-2 overall record and a 3-1 mark in the Ohio Valley Conference. The Gamecocks are ranked No. 20 in the Football Championship Subdivision Coaches Poll. UT Martin sports a 6-2 overall record and a 4-1 OVC worksheet. The Skyhawks are receiving votes in both the FCS Coaches Poll and The Sports Network's FCS Poll.

The OVC battle features two teams with one conference loss each who are trying to keep up with league-leading Tennessee State who is 3-0.

"Playing on ESPNU is awesome for the OVC and UT Martin," said Skyhawks head coach Jason Simpson. "It's great for all the student-athletes."

UT Martin has their Orange SHIRTS!

But, Jax State will have a VERY LOUD Marching Southerners Band that will be BLASTING THEM OUT OF THEIR SEATS!

Maroons
October 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Damn, I wish I had the U. This is going to be some entertaining TV, I think. The last time Martin beat JaxState was in a downpour... was it not?

I think the key is pressure on Perrilloux. He has shown that when he is pressured, he is not immune to bad decisions. However, when he has time to play his game, he's one of the better OVC QB's I've seen.

Weems
October 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
31-30 UTM!

It was a great game... Possibly one of the best played football games by both teams i have ever witnessed. It was a soggy night, but a huge win for UTM!

I was extremely impressed with Ryan Perriloux. Very good QB

The Marching Southerners were also a treat to hear and watch at Halftime

Go Skyhawks!

JaxSinfonian
October 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
The better team won, hands down. Congrats, Skyhawks. Hopefully both you and the Tigers can get into the playoffs and make a little noise for the OVC. Our season is essentially over.

Glad you enjoyed the Southerners. They're sure somethin' aren't they?

Cocky
October 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Good game and good night, season or any other thing you care to add.

Crapsville time for us JSU fans.

Weems
October 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
http://utmsports.com/fullstory.cfm?id=3398

TTUEagles
October 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
It could be worse, Jacksonville St. fans, you could be a TTU fan...
Looking forward to seeing JSU in a few weeks, hope you don't hang more than 50 on us.
Congrats to the Skyhawks, I wish I could've watched it. I'm very impressed and jealous how UTM has turned their football fortunes around in the past 4-5 years.

The Cats
October 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
......because you can't beat the COCKS xwhistlex

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

danefan
October 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
By the time I got home from work, I only got to watch the second half.

I have to be honest I was not really impressed with Perilloux. I know it was pouring but he didn't appear to be having grip issues. His passes were just off the mark. I think he ended up with less than 50% completion percentage. And a great majority of the passes were short dumps into the flats.

The kid from UT Martin looked much better.

Even the last TD pass for Jax State was a poor defensive play and not a great pass from Perilloux. He just threw it up and the UT Martin kid mis-timed his jump.

The running back for Jax State is pretty good though. Some nifty moves for a stocky back.

Good win for UT Martin.

MaroonDoom
October 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Good game. It would have been nice to see the outcome if that extra point would have been good.

Weems
October 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Good game. It would have been nice to see the outcome if that extra point would have been good.

No it wouldn't have... It was freezing and soaking wet... You must have been sitting at home :D :D lol

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
The irony with this game is not UT Martin fans now may as well buy Perriloux jerseys: they'll be dying for the Gamecocks to win out and upset Tennessee State - in order to give them a shot at the OVC title.

Looking at the schedule, about the only teams that could help UT Martin wrestle the title away would be Perriloux of course - and after that, probably EIU who is seriously down this year. Interestingly, if EIU and JSU beat Tennessee State but Tennessee State wins the rest of their games, the Tigers would get the Seargent York Trophy... but lose both the OVC title and the conference autobid to UT Martin. xeekx

ekufbfan
October 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
The irony with this game is not UT Martin fans now may as well buy Perriloux jerseys: they'll be dying for the Gamecocks to win out and upset Tennessee State - in order to give them a shot at the OVC title.

Looking at the schedule, about the only teams that could help UT Martin wrestle the title away would be Perriloux of course - and after that, probably EIU who is seriously down this year. Interestingly, if EIU and JSU beat Tennessee State but Tennessee State wins the rest of their games, the Tigers would get the Seargent York Trophy... but lose both the OVC title and the conference autobid to UT Martin. xeekx

Well, I would not be so quick to count out the DEFFENDING OVC CHAMPS ,THE TEAM THAT HAS WON MORE OVC TITLES THAN ANYONE ELSE CURRENTLY IN THE OVC, THE TEAM THATHAS TWO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, THE TEAM THAT HAS NOT HAD A LOSING SEASON IN 30+ YEARS, THE TEAM THAT INTERCEPTED JAX STATE 5 TIMES 2 WEEKS AGO AND ALSO WON THAT GAME, THE TEAM THAT UTM HAS NEVER BEAT..

AND THAT WOULD BE EKU.

I am not saying we will win the OVC this year, TSU has a great start on that, the only OVC game we have lost as of today was at TSU (the othe two loses were to Uof Cincinnati and WKU (we were not playing NAIA teams before the conference began). We play EIU tomorrow and we will know more, just can't figure out how Lehigh came to the conclusion above???

GO BIG E!

bigbluetiger
October 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Well, I would not be so quick to count out the DEFFENDING OVC CHAMPS ,THE TEAM THAT HAS WON MORE OVC TITLES THAN ANYONE ELSE CURRENTLY IN THE OVC, THE TEAM THATHAS TWO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, THE TEAM THAT HAS NOT HAD A LOSING SEASON IN 30+ YEARS, THE TEAM THAT INTERCEPTED JAX STATE 5 TIMES 2 WEEKS AGO AND ALSO WON THAT GAME, THE TEAM THAT UTM HAS NEVER BEAT..

AND THAT WOULD BE EKU.

I am not saying we will win the OVC this year, TSU has a great start on that, the only OVC game we have lost as of today was at TSU (the othe two loses were to Uof Cincinnati and WKU (we were not playing NAIA teams before the conference began). We play EIU tomorrow and we will know more, just can't figure out how Lehigh came to the conclusion above???

GO BIG E!

Great campaign speech. You almost have my vote. xthumbsupx

jaxstatealum
October 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
You can vote; makes me want to puke xrolleyesx

colonelblitz
October 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM
B

. He just threw it up

And that's why we picked him off 5 times..xnonox

catamount man
October 24th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hell of a good game last night. Congrats to UTM.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ekufbfan
October 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
[
I]Quote:
Originally Posted by ekufbfan

AND THAT WOULD BE EKU.

GO BIG E!

Great campaign speech. You almost have my vote.

AND THAT WOULD BE....E!K!U!

EKU 20 EIU 7

Maroons
October 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
You can vote; makes me want to puke xrolleyesx

You'll enjoy this story then, JSU Alum...

I was at a wedding in 2003, JSU's first year in the OVC, and I had just left Richmond after watching the Colonels roll Appalachian State. At the wedding, I saw an old high school classmate and asked her what she was doing these days. To my shock, she said she was a student at Jacksonville State. I found this shocking because I knew of no one who had traveled all the way from northern Kentucky to Alabama to go to college and JSU was just some team that had appeared on our schedule that I had never heard of. I remember thinking, what are the chances that we would suddenly be playing this team and here this girl is going to school there? So, we talked a little good-natured smack but I confidently asserted that it really wouldn't matter come game day. Sure, she talked about JSU being a football school and having won some championships or something, but I had never heard of these Gamecocks and we were EKU, right? Plus, our new coach was running some crazy new semi-spread offense (remember that Roy Kidd was famous for three yards and a cloud of dust) and we had just beaten Appy. We had some QB who transferred in from UMass named Matt Guice and everyone was amazed with his ability to throw ridiculously fast balls and scramble like mad. I was confident that EIU was the only game we needed to worry about from that point on.

Well, to make a long story even longer, JSU rolled the Colonels 49-14 in 2003 on their way to 2 consecutive OVC crowns. I certainly haven't doubted JSU since.