View Full Version : Official App State vs East Carolina thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

AshevilleApp2
October 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
KIDDING! JUST KIDDING! xsmiley_wix :p

uofmman1122
October 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
xlolxxlolx +rep

We all know ASU is going to get smoked, anyways, no need to talk about that game just yet.

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhis tlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

AshevilleApp2
October 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
xlolxxlolx +rep

xlolx I knew I could count on you!

uofmman1122
October 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
xlolx I knew I could count on you!I do what I can. xlolx:p

BeauFoster
October 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Can this thread hit 3,000 posts???

Grizzaholic
October 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not again.

AshevilleApp2
October 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Can this thread hit 3,000 posts???

10K by next August. xnodx

gr8ness97
October 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
LOL...already?!

Go APPS

BeauFoster
October 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not again.

You're only helping pad the stats! xlolx

elon77
October 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Let me be the first to make a prediction, there will be at least one fight in the stands before this game is over.

biggie
October 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Let me be the first to make a prediction, there will be at least ten STDs given/recieved in the stands before this game is over.
Fixed, given ECU stats.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
OMG this is so embarrasing...

ASUMountaineer
October 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
To all EZU fans out there, the only thing I can say is: 19-10. Go APPS!

BarefootApp
October 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
I'm worried about Furple. One at a time, boys. One season at a time. :-)

CopperCat
October 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
#%&*$%^&@#%^$*$^$!!!!!!!

Okay, it was funny for a second.

But seriously, you guys are going to lose.xwhistlex

proasu89
October 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Let me be the first to make a prediction, there will be at least one fight in the stands before this game is over.

Shoot, one fight will break out just between their fansxsmiley_wix

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
This one got me. I was going to say "Hey, App State, no offense, but shouldn't you be more concerned about defending your championship this year before thinking about a game on next year's schedule?" Good one. This might be the longest thread ever on AGS by the day of the ASU-ECU game next year! I predict a record will be broken!

BeauFoster
October 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Just a reminder to anyone traveling to Greenville for the game - keep your windows rolled up while driving through the ECU campus. If you don't, they'll try to throw diplomas in your car as you drive by.

neersnbeers
October 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
The Fick is an awesome gameday atmosphere. Definitely need to make a weekend outta the trip.
Now. Back to 2008!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Apple by 14...xcoffeex

ASU
October 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Apple by 14...xcoffeex

Should be a good game....hate to see ECTC lose a game at the beginning of the season; after all, they have sooooooooooooo little to
brag about down that way (Not even close to Fort Bragg)......
I can't wait to see the EZU students and alums, and fans, knuckle
drag themselves out of the nearby swamps to attend the game.

thmst30
October 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
You got me too AshevilleApp2! Even as a fellow App fan when I read the title I thought, "Oh good Lord, you can't be ****ing serious, this is why everyone hates us here on AGS." Pheeeew, thanks!

theasushow
October 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/10/21/appstate.ecu.ap/index.html

Appinator
December 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Well, since our season is over, I thought I would start researching our next opponent and bring this thread back up. When I first heard about this game, my first thoughts were that this would be the best team in the Carolinas for us to get matched up with.

Taking a look at their C-USA Championship Game roster, they are only losing 7 starters due to graduation on both sides of the ball (4 offensive and 3 defensive). They will be a team that knows how to win tough games and work hard for the victory.

ECU's biggest loss, IMO, will be Pat Pickney. His likely replacement is a 6'4 250 guy, Rob Kass, who looks to be far less mobile and accurate with the ball. By the numbers, they seem to have problems with their kicking game as well. Their top returning kicker was only 65% for the season (19-29). They also graduate their number 2 rusher (RB Brandon Simmons 579 APY) and their number 2 receiver (TE Davon Drew, 575 RYrds)

On both the OL and DL they will be experienced. ECU will likely start 3 Seniors and 2 Juniors on the offensive side, and 2 Seniors and 2 Juniors on Defense. Their star here would be C.J. Wilson (10.5 sacks, 18.5 TFL)
They could also potentially start 3 Seniors at LB by their listing on this years depth chart, and their defensive back field will consist of 2 Juniors, a Senior, and a Sophomore.

I think this will be an amazing game, and the Pirates have a lot of experience and talent. ASU will need to put the ball in the air, as Houston did mid season, and get a copy of the WVU's game tape to avoid their same fate.

I know ASU has a ton of talent coming back, but I didn't want to do everything myself. I'm trying to be more democratic. So anyone want to break down our side of the ball?

AshevilleApp2
December 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Well, since our season is over, I thought I would start researching our next opponent and bring this thread back up. When I first heard about this game, my first thoughts were that this would be the best team in the Carolinas for us to get matched up with.

Taking a look at their C-USA Championship Game roster, they are only losing 7 starters due to graduation on both sides of the ball (4 offensive and 3 defensive). They will be a team that knows how to win tough games and work hard for the victory.

ECU's biggest loss, IMO, will be Pat Pickney. His likely replacement is a 6'4 250 guy, Rob Kass, who looks to be far less mobile and accurate with the ball. By the numbers, they seem to have problems with their kicking game as well. Their top returning kicker was only 65% for the season (19-29). They also graduate their number 2 rusher (RB Brandon Simmons 579 APY) and their number 2 receiver (TE Davon Drew, 575 RYrds)

On both the OL and DL they will be experienced. ECU will likely start 3 Seniors and 2 Juniors on the offensive side, and 2 Seniors and 2 Juniors on Defense. Their star here would be C.J. Wilson (10.5 sacks, 18.5 TFL)
They could also potentially start 3 Seniors at LB by their listing on this years depth chart, and their defensive back field will consist of 2 Juniors, a Senior, and a Sophomore.

I think this will be an amazing game, and the Pirates have a lot of experience and talent. ASU will need to put the ball in the air, as Houston did mid season, and get a copy of the WVU's game tape to avoid their same fate.

I know ASU has a ton of talent coming back, but I didn't want to do everything myself. I'm trying to be more democratic. So anyone want to break down our side of the ball?

Good post. I'll leave it to others to take care of breaking our team down. But I did book my room in Greenville this morning. Now, how do I get tickets?

biggie
December 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Biggest loss for ECU may be their coach if those rumors are true.

appfan2008
December 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM

yeah i think he will be gone and it sure will suck for the new coach to lose his first game!

catamount man
December 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
ARGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO PIRATES!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
December 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Why in God's name would he go to Syracuse? I know it's the Big East, but come on. That's like the Lions job, it's where head coaches careers go to die. They're season highlight was squeaking past Notre Dame. I think he'd make a big mistake leaving for Syracuse. If he is itching that bad to leave, call the AD at Mississippi State.

Black and Gold Express
December 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Why in God's name would he go to Syracuse? I know it's the Big East, but come on. That's like the Lions job, it's where head coaches careers go to die. They're season highlight was squeaking past Notre Dame. I think he'd make a big mistake leaving for Syracuse. If he is itching that bad to leave, call the AD at Mississippi State.

Simple, the cash is the same color green no matter what the school colors are.

Plus - IF he can turn it around, the gains are much higher. Win the conference at ECU, barring a miracle your best reward is the Liberty Bowl. Win the conference at Syracuse, it's guaranteed BCS bowl and millions of dollars pouring in to the school. And an almost guaranteed next job at a BCS power school and even more cash lining your pockets.

If he fails at Syracuse, he has the ECU success to fall back on to land another mid-major job.

It's almost no risk/high reward here.

jus10asu
December 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I predict ASU 31 / ECU 14

This is gonna be a good game...I can't wait to see what our boys look like next year.

I also predict that this thread will reach 3000 posts by August.

GO APP!!!

Appinator
December 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Syracuse is stepping stone for Holtz. His father went to William & Mary, NC State, pros, Minnesota, ND......Skip sees the Syracuse job as a good move because:

1- good fan support
2- Syracuse could easily become the dominant recruiting program in the NE again....through Robinson's ineptness, Rutgers has claimed that lately
3- It's in a BCS conference
4- The money is there as well

Right now, Holtz is trying t recruit against ACC, SEC, Big East and, to a lesser extent, CAA & Southern. And, relative to Syracuse, there is no TV money to speak of....

You are exactly right. I heard a spot interview with him at an awards dinner or something (he was dressed in a tux) where he almost made it sound like he had one foot out the door. Normal "coach talk" like: "they haven't offered me anything, but I would never say never" and "My family loves Greenville, so it is going to take something special to take us away".

I am thinking something special would be doubling his salary and a team in the Big East.

This is something else to follow along with during the off season, as a coaching change will have a huge impact on the players attitudes going into our game.

APPdopted
December 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I can't wait to be at this game, I went to ECU for one semester then saw the light and got outta there! I have a sister in law there and tons of friends who went there. I hope that this game will somehow salvage the heartbreak we saw on Saturday, but it's a LONG way down the road to kickoff in Dowdy-Ficklen. This could be another big stage platform for App to shine on, Hope the boys use it as a stepping stone for another Title run. Here's to the off-season countdown!

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Couldn't you have said that about ECU before Hotlz went there? I mean it was nothing like what Syracuse has come to....but it was still nothing good about ECU then. Holtz has turned that program around and made them a legitamite C-USA contender and potential BCS buster IMO.

As for the title of this thread...I thought "Please God say he's joking" haha xthumbsupx

Appinator
December 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Just for off-season reference:

http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/

http://eastcarolina.scout.com/

DLS
December 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
actually, im good and ready to start talking about this game and how beastly app is going to be in 09

Appinator
December 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
actually, im good and ready to start talking about this game and how beastly app is going to be in 09

Heck ya me too. Bring on the scuttlebutt!

ericsaid
December 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
31-28

B&G
December 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
ECU's All C-USA returnees next season...

1st Team
Defensive Lineman- C.J. Wilson, Sr., East Carolina
Defensive Back- Van Eskridge, Sr., East Carolina

2nd Team
Offensive Lineman- Sean Allen, Sr., East Carolina

ASU's All-SoCon Returnees

1st Team
QB Armanti Edwards, Sr., Appalachian State
OL Mario Aciteli, Sr., Appalachian State
TE Ben Jorden, So., Appalachian State
DL Jabari Fletcher, Jr., Appalachian State
LB Jacque Roman, Sr., Appalachian State
DB Mark LeGree, Jr., Appalachian State
DB Cortez Gilbert, Sr., Appalachian State

2nd Team
DL Anthony Williams, Sr., Appalachian State
LB D.J. Smith, Jr., Appalachian State

ASUMountaineer
December 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Couldn't you have said that about ECU before Hotlz went there? I mean it was nothing like what Syracuse has come to....but it was still nothing good about ECU then. Holtz has turned that program around and made them a legitamite C-USA contender and potential BCS buster IMO.

As for the title of this thread...I thought "Please God say he's joking" haha xthumbsupx

You could, but not for as long, and he was a nobody (save the last name) and he had little to lose. Syracuse is a little different, and his situation now is a little different.

ASUMountaineer
December 9th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Simple, the cash is the same color green no matter what the school colors are.

Plus - IF he can turn it around, the gains are much higher. Win the conference at ECU, barring a miracle your best reward is the Liberty Bowl. Win the conference at Syracuse, it's guaranteed BCS bowl and millions of dollars pouring in to the school. And an almost guaranteed next job at a BCS power school and even more cash lining your pockets.

If he fails at Syracuse, he has the ECU success to fall back on to land another mid-major job.

It's almost no risk/high reward here.

You right on all accounts. But, it's not like he's hurting for money, and I think better options lay in the future. I would not want to jump too quickly if I were him.

jus10asu
December 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
BUMPxlolx xlolx xlolx

phillyAPP
December 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Come On .... make a real prediction......... the Philly in me says ECU should start a jail in the stadium......... It'll be like HOME for me !!!!!!!!!!

GO APP...................... BEAT those PURPLE Pirates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate Purple Teams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xsmiley_wix

phillyAPP
December 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Come On .... make a real prediction......... the Philly in me says ECU should start a jail in the stadium......... It'll be like HOME for me !!!!!!!!!!

GO APP...................... BEAT those PURPLE Pirates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate Purple Teams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xsmiley_wix

#45 post................. 3000 POSTS, HERE WE COME ... Whoaaa Hoooo !!!

AppAlum96
December 9th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I plan on making the trip all the way from San Diego for this one. Why? My dad is an ECU grad. It will be hilarious to go to the game with him and watch him try to pull for both teams. We still haven't decided which side to sit on...

My dad honestly expects Appalachian to be the favorite in this game. I don't know about that, but they'll definitely get better odds than they did vs. LSU or Michigan.

DX Man
December 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM
At least ECU was willing to play ASUxsmileyclapx

...unlike unc-chapel hillxthumbsdownx

smallcollegefbfan
December 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM

I do know for a fact that he is meeting with Syracuse while in NY for his father's induction in the College Football Hall of Fame. From what I was told, he was offered a job by Syracuse and that it is unlikely he would be at ECU next year. If Auburn doesn't offer Turner Gill and Holtz leaves then don't be surprised if Gill is a major target by ECU.

Black and Gold Express
December 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM
You right on all accounts. But, it's not like he's hurting for money, and I think better options lay in the future. I would not want to jump too quickly if I were him.

By all accounts, if he were to leave he's leaving a stocked cupboard there. Talking to two of my best friends, both ECU grads, apparently the Pirates got decimated by injuries worse than we did. If that's the case, they won C-USA with one arm tied behind their back, and I would not be so quick to predict an easy win for ASU like I am seeing some already doing.

This is a winnable game, but it's gonna be harsh both on the field and in the stands. I hope I can get down there for it.

BarefootApp
December 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Let me make a prediction....Elon won't win the SoCon next year either.

Appinator
December 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM
By all accounts, if he were to leave he's leaving a stocked cupboard there. Talking to two of my best friends, both ECU grads, apparently the Pirates got decimated by injuries worse than we did. If that's the case, they won C-USA with one arm tied behind their back, and I would not be so quick to predict an easy win for ASU like I am seeing some already doing.

This is a winnable game, but it's gonna be harsh both on the field and in the stands. I hope I can get down there for it.

I saw the same thing while reviewing their conference championship roster. Their leading receiver only got to play in something like 5 games the entire year, but will be returning.

I really think that we match up well with this team. With the loss of Pickney, we will face an immobile QB and a pro-style offense that should be a little easier to contain. I wish I knew more about the WVU team that they beat earlier in the year, and if anyone has any insight, please feel free to compare us to them.

I hate to sound homerish, but imagine the backfield that we could put out there: Armanti paired with Moore, Radford, Welton, Jackson, Chislom (Mecklenburg County's single season TD record holder, from Independence), or Cline! I really can't remember another time where App had this much depth at the skill positions, and we are still only a couple of season removed from converting OLBs to WRs.

Black and Gold Express
December 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
If our O-line does not improve we will be in trouble. The holes were not being opened as they were in past years. That, as much as the returning players from injury and academics, will decide our fate.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Appalachian State Teachers College - 45
East Carolina Teachers Training School - 0

Appstate29
December 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM
The Appalachian State University- However much AE wants to hang on them.

EZU (As in, easiest to catch an STD): 17 (not enough to win)

if there is one University in NC I want to beat, besides CHapel hill, its EZU. They know we are further along in undergraduate academics than they are, and we want to close the gap in graduate studies, and we are getting a lot of press that used to go to them, and they take every opportunity to try and beat us down and relegate us to 7th class citizens again.

mountaineer_dax
December 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
From looking at ECU's team they are losing a TON of players. Does anyone think they'll be good this upcoming season?

neersnbeers
December 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
They'll obviously have some great athletes. Just depends on what positions they're at and what kind of gameplan each team has. I think we have a decent chance. If we were to pull out a W, I can see it getting nasty in the stands and/or parking lots.

Appinator
December 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
From looking at ECU's team they are losing a TON of players. Does anyone think they'll be good this upcoming season?

Which starters are you talking about? From their recent 2 deep rosters, they are only losing 7 total? They will have a ton of upperclassmen on both sides of the ball. Read page 3.

Reign of Terrier
December 10th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I heard from ESPN that they lost 15 starters to injury.

DX Man
December 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
At least ECU had the foresight to get the heck out of the SoCon back in the 70's before it moved to I-AA.xbowx

proasu89
December 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
At least ECU had the foresight to get the heck out of the SoCon back in the 70's before it moved to I-AA.xbowx

No you didn'txeekx xlolx

mountaineer_dax
December 11th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Which starters are you talking about? From their recent 2 deep rosters, they are only losing 7 total? They will have a ton of upperclassmen on both sides of the ball. Read page 3.

Just doing some quick research it appears ECU will be losing their QB, FB TE on offense and a S, CB,WLB,DE on defense. Could be ripe for the picking.

from appcountry.com

jus10asu
December 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I really don't know how we're gonna do against ECU...I just wish we would come out at the beginning of the year playing like we do later in the season. We had a really slow start this year so hopefully our team will be hitting on all cylinders the kick things off.

biggie
December 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Skip turned down 'cuse.

So much for that wishful thinking.

smallcollegefbfan
December 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Skip turned down 'cuse.

Yeah I saw that. That doesn't make sense. People at ECU felt like he was out the door. Something must have really happened during interviews.

elcid96
December 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
One more for the vote count towards 3000

Appstate29
December 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Skip turned down 'cuse.

SOB, that would have created a perfect storm. I guess the bigwigs at EZU convinced him to stay so they could beat ASU.

SideLine Shooter
December 12th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I really don't know how we're gonna do against ECU...I just wish we would come out at the beginning of the year playing like we do later in the season. We had a really slow start this year so hopefully our team will be hitting on all cylinders the kick things off.

At the end of the season we were so beat up. We didn't have a healthy RB, Armanti was injured and we were still very young. We were getting it done with "Smoke and Mirrors" only.
If we come out healthy and stay healthy it could be the best team ever at ASU. xnodx

AshevilleApp2
December 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Bump

DLS
December 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I cant wait to start macking on some std laden honeys.

mmmmmm ecu skanks mmmm

appstate38
December 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well I can't wait, Whole family will be going to G Vegas for this one. My sister graduated from ECU and me from ASU so the junk talking as already started.

AshevilleApp2
December 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
How difficult is it to get a ticket for an ECU game? I know they have great fan support, but do they sell out regularly and quickly?

neersnbeers
January 24th, 2009, 11:47 AM
EZU's QB is granted another year of play:

http://ecupirates.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012309aaa.html

Appguy
January 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
the article above doesn't really explain why he was given another year. usually its very rare a la ben Mauk with Cincinati so he must have had a great reason.

ASU88
January 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Our group (Appaholic, his brother, me, others) is either moving our annual Men's Town weekend trip to ECU for the game this year, or having a second one.

haven't been there since a couple of Halloweens during college.

phillyAPP
January 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Our group (Appaholic, his brother, me, others) is either moving our annual Men's Town weekend trip to ECU for the game this year, or having a second one.

haven't been there since a couple of Halloweens during college.

I vote 2 MENS weekends........... ECU game can't count... its FOOTBALL.... Dont confuse the two issues !!!!!!!!!

We are alittle behind on the 3000 count.... Now is when we need some ECU purple pirate banter !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go APP.......... Beat EVERYONE IN PURPLE.... We know how they LOVE us !!!!!!

ericsaid
January 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
This game will probably bring a good bit of students considering how close the game is and how many students know other people that go to ECU should be great.

elon77
January 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
It should be a real slobber knocker. I can't believe either school's fans like each other. I don't know who put this match up together, but they should get a pat on the back. This is close to being a backyard brawl. I can't wait myself. I wonder if it could be on TV?

appfan2008
January 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I am super excited... I bet greenville will be rockin... until the end of the game that is then it will be rather somber for the home team folks

CrackerRiley
January 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Ha, this thread pops up and reminds me once again. I always forget about the game for awhile, then something brings it back to mind and makes me extremely excited and now I can't wait...
Still not positive if I'm going to be traveling to this game but I'm hopeful.

Appinator
January 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
the article above doesn't really explain why he was given another year. usually its very rare a la ben Mauk with Cincinati so he must have had a great reason.

Breaking News:

Associated Press

ECU QB Granted 6th year of eligibility, school determined to teach him how to color inside the lines. 7th year possible...

boonegoon
January 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM
We will be there!

appmaj
January 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
When do ASU tickets go on sale for this?

ASU_Pads
January 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced, and I just found out this past weekend that I won't be able to go. One of my best friends is getting married. Who get's married during football season?! xnonono2x

proasu89
January 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced, and I just found out this past weekend that I won't be able to go. One of my best friends is getting married. Who get's married during football season?! xnonono2x

Your best friend for onexsmiley_wix

SideLine Shooter
January 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Man, there will be at least 8 in the parking lot before the game even starts.

SideLine Shooter
January 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM

THAT IS NO FRIEND!xlolx

ericsaid
January 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I would like to believe this thread can surpass the amount of posts by the App LSU thread.

appmaj
January 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Im not sure about that

elon77
January 27th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I would like to believe this thread can surpass the amount of posts by the App LSU thread.

If you can get the purples involved it could.xnodx

AshevilleApp2
January 27th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Im not sure about that

Yeah, less App posters now that the championship streak is over. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

ASUG8
January 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Maybe we can remind everybody that we beat Michigan a few thousand times to pump the post count :D

appfan2008
January 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah, less App posters now that the championship streak is over. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

I dont think our numbers have gone down... but if they have you would be correct that that would be a good thing bc bandwaggon fans dont help anything

mountaineertider
January 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I can't wait for this game - my brother goes to ECU, and bragging rights are on the line.

Appinator
January 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I dont think our numbers have gone down... but if they have you would be correct that that would be a good thing bc bandwaggon fans dont help anything

Bandwagon fans are more vocal about irrelevant things like "we are the best of all time" and "no one can beat us". I think the clear headed ASU AGSers bring a lot of unrecognized value to the board, but get written off because of the bravado some have in success.

AshevilleApp2
January 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Maybe we can remind everybody that we beat Michigan a few thousand times to pump the post count :D

Who then beat Florida in a bowl game. So we would have beaten the Gators as well... xlolxxlolx

DLS
January 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Bandwagon fans are more vocal about irrelevant things like "we are the best of all time" and "no one can beat us". I think the clear headed ASU AGSers bring a lot of unrecognized value to the board, but get written off because of the bravado some have in success.

less app threads for app posters to comment on.

also, we are the best of all time and no one can beat us.

Appinator
January 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
less app threads for app posters to comment on.

also, we are the best of all time and no one can beat us.

well played

ECU
February 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Should be a good game....hate to see ECTC lose a game at the beginning of the season; after all, they have sooooooooooooo little to
brag about down that way (Not even close to Fort Bragg)......
I can't wait to see the EZU students and alums, and fans, knuckle
drag themselves out of the nearby swamps to attend the game.

Compared to your rinky dink 13k person backwards town, Greenville is a cultural beacon & a booming metropolis, & actually it is the one of fastest growing cities in the nation. Hey BTW can you even get a wine cooler in Boone these days or you still dry? xlolx Guess when you want to party you just go down a dirt road & flag down Bo & Luke Duke or some one else running moonshine off the mountain.

Oh yeah & at least when our fans "knuckle drag themselves out of the swamps", we provide them ALL with a nice accomodations like an actual seat in our stadium & some indoor plumbing so they don't have to sit in the mud & use a porta-potty like about half your fans. Probably reminds them of their home though off the side of a mountain they wondered in from.

SideLine Shooter
February 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Compared to your rinky dink 13k person backwards town, Greenville is a cultural beacon & a booming metropolis, & actually it is the one of fastest growing cities in the nation. Hey BTW can you even get a wine cooler in Boone these days or you still dry? xlolx Guess when you want to party you just go down a dirt road & flag down Bo & Luke Duke or some one else running moonshine off the mountain.

Oh yeah & at least when our fans "knuckle drag themselves out of the swamps", we provide them ALL with a nice accomodations like an actual seat in our stadium & some indoor plumbing so they don't have to sit in the mud & use a porta-potty like about half your fans. Probably reminds them of their home though off the side of a mountain they wondered in from.

Now that really takes an intelligent person to come up with a post like that. Must have been accepted at ecu but never got a degree and I thought they gave them out to anybody that could find Greenville. Sounds like another alexale.

By the way, welcome rookie.

ericsaid
February 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Didn't take long for an ECU fan to find this board. I'll be at ECU next year for school. This game will be the one can't miss game next year.

AshevilleApp2
February 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM

Welcome to the site ECU, bring your friends! And by the way, only p#$&ies drink wine coolers!

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Watch this (throwing gas on fire):

So which is the better school academically ? hehehehe

appmaj
February 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Appalachian:
http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/5145.html

ECU:

http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/6160.html

SideLine Shooter
February 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Appalachian:
http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/5145.html

ECU:

http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/6160.html

Compare that with JMU and "surprise, surprise, surprise."

ECU
February 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM

Are you talking undergrad or post grad? Because real schools are judged on the research they contribute, and regional feeder schools like JMU and App have little to offer in the way of any post grad programs or research. It's clear ECU takes that one hands down with one of the best medical schools nationally, dental school & various other respected programs. BTW, where you getting that law degree cause it sure isn't from JMU? When you want to talk about football in the future I'll be around. Apparently you knew you didn't have much of a leg to stand on though to immediatly try to switch it to academics or like the other guy, the city of greenville.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Are you talking undergrad or post grad? Because real schools are judged on the research they contribute, and regional feeder schools like JMU and App have little to offer in the way of any post grad programs or research. It's clear ECU takes that one hands down with one of the best medical schools nationally, dental school & various other respected programs. BTW, where you getting that law degree cause it sure isn't from JMU? When you want to talk about football in the future I'll be around. Apparently you knew you didn't have much of a leg to stand on though to immediatly try to switch it to academics or like the other guy, the city of greenville.

it was just a joke to get you guys riled up. Apparently the App people got the joke but the ECU fan got defensive

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Compare that with JMU and "surprise, surprise, surprise."

JMU and App are both top 10 in the "Top Masters Level South". I think JMU is still #1 (maybe 2 now) and Appy's like 5-8ish. So its similar enough that no argument can logically be made. So lets not go there, both schools are awesome !

AshevilleApp2
February 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM

Go enjoy yourself a nice wine cooler. xsmiley_wix xlolx

appmaj
February 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM

Based on what??? Your opinion?

ECU
February 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
it was just a joke to get you guys riled up. Apparently the App people got the joke but the ECU fan got defensive

I was joking to.

Touchdown Yosef
February 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/94/opinions_college08_Americas-Best-Colleges_Rank_11.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/94/opinions_college08_Americas-Best-Colleges_Rank_19.html

i'm sure others can be found but here is a favorable one for ASU.

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM

Its just that football season is still so far away.xbawlingx

Touchdown Yosef
February 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM

Now first of all what is the definition of a "real school"? I have to say I am quite confused by that one. Real school, as opposed to the fake ones that hand out fake degrees and have fake professors?

Funny your medical school ranks fairly well nationally (77 in some even as high as 17 in one report) in primary care according to US News and World Report but the ever important research side was not "real" enough to be ranked.

You refer to ASU and JMU as "regional feeder schools" here is US News and World Report's definition of a regional school

Like national universities, regional universities offer a full range of undergraduate programs and provide graduate education at the master's level. But unlike national universities they offer few, if any, doctoral programs. Of the 504 regional universities, 260 are public Regional liberal arts colleges focus primarily on undergraduate education just as national liberal arts colleges do but tend to be less selective in admissions and grant fewer than 40 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines. There are 423 regional liberal arts colleges, including 67 public institutions.
[/I]

Guess what. ECU qualifies as a "regional school" Isn't that exciting! That also means that you can be rated by USN&WR against other regional schools such as JMU and ASU. If you want to look it up, in the South ECU comes in at a very respectable 8 but behind number 4 Appalachian and number 1 JMU.

And of course as stated earlier...

Appalachian Ranked 5th overall among regional public comprehensive universities in the South and 10th overall among public and private universities in the South in U.S. News & World Report's America's Best Colleges 2008 and comes in 250 overall in Forbes rankings of the top Colleges in the US while ECU comes in at 464.

Oh and don't forget Time Magazine's College of the Year in 2001.

Touchdown Yosef
February 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM

Greenville is a cultural beacon and booming metropolis?

Congrats on your growth rate Boone is growing too but I don't see that as anything significant in this little debate. I would much prefer that Boone stay small.

Wine cooler? Seriously wine cooler? No I don't think you can buy a wine cooler at a bar in Boone I don't know anywhere that would carry them. Do you honestly drink wine coolers or know anyone who would actually sit down at a restaurant or bar and say can I see you wine cooler list? Come on buddy unless you are 16 there is no excuse for even mentioning wine coolers.

Boone hasn't been dry for quite some time and good moonshine is good stuff, much better to sip on then a fruity wine cooler. Moonshine isn't exactly being run off the mountain anymore, it isn't the 20's. Typically it is distilled for consumption by friends and family or a strict distribution chain to known consumers.

Do you really want to try and make redneck jokes about Boone when you are in Greenville? I'm not even going to go there bud, Greenville and the surrounding area is not a beacon of light when if comes to sophistication and class.

As far as the stadium goes, no more porta johns and only a few thousand folks sit on the hill and many do enjoy the atmosphere over there. Really not to big of a deal when you can buy lawn seats to most major concert venues.

On a more football oriented note just some interesting notes on the support we get from our "fake" student body and the locals and alumni like Bo and Luke Duke. On a sellout game in Boone we host roughly 31,000 fans and to put it in perspective that is essentially 100% of the ASU students undergrad and grad and and 100% of the population of Boone. That is pretty good in my book as far as support goes. (i'm not saying that 100% of either group comes to a game just what we host compared to population and enrollment)

Compared to ECU which a sellout would be about 43k which is about 57% of the local population or 42% of the local student and city population. For ECU to match that same level of support you would need to put 101,000 fans in the seats for a sellout game. Just some food for thought.

appmaj
February 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Greenville is a cultural beacon and booming metropolis?

Congrats on your growth rate Boone is growing too but I don't see that as anything significant in this little debate. I would much prefer that Boone stay small.

Wine cooler? Seriously wine cooler? No I don't think you can buy a wine cooler at a bar in Boone I don't know anywhere that would carry them. Do you honestly drink wine coolers or know anyone who would actually sit down at a restaurant or bar and say can I see you wine cooler list? Come on buddy unless you are 16 there is no excuse for even mentioning wine coolers.

Boone hasn't been dry for quite some time and good moonshine is good stuff, much better to sip on then a fruity wine cooler. Moonshine isn't exactly being run off the mountain anymore, it isn't the 20's. Typically it is distilled for consumption by friends and family or a strict distribution chain to known consumers.

Do you really want to try and make redneck jokes about Boone when you are in Greenville? I'm not even going to go there bud, Greenville and the surrounding area is not a beacon of light when if comes to sophistication and class.

As far as the stadium goes, no more porta johns and only a few thousand folks sit on the hill and many do enjoy the atmosphere over there. Really not to big of a deal when you can buy lawn seats to most major concert venues.

On a more football oriented note just some interesting notes on the support we get from our "fake" student body and the locals and alumni like Bo and Luke Duke. On a sellout game in Boone we host roughly 31,000 fans and to put it in perspective that is essentially 100% of the ASU students undergrad and grad and and 100% of the population of Boone. That is pretty good in my book as far as support goes. (i'm not saying that 100% of either group comes to a game just what we host compared to population and enrollment)

Compared to ECU which a sellout would be about 43k which is about 57% of the local population or 42% of the local student and city population. For ECU to match that same level of support you would need to put 101,000 fans in the seats for a sellout game. Just some food for thought.

xoutofrepx[

DLS
February 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM

haha i hate you so much.

ASUG8
February 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Boone's geography will never make it a large town, just as the university itself will struggle to top 20K. Greenville, located in the beautiful flat Eastern part of the state, would have no problem expanding except there's no attraction to the city. xlolx I don't know what could be driving growth there - I've never heard of anyone vacationing there. Boone may be small, but we like it that way. I'd argue our success over the last several years has made it a bit overcrowded, since it's tough to add parking, expand roads, etc. when you're in a valley surrounded by mountains.

KiddBrewer
February 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
great to be back after a short break! even better to hear my fellow mountaineer throwin' it right back in ECU peoples faces!xthumbsupx

Appstate29
February 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Now first of all what is the definition of a "real school"? I have to say I am quite confused by that one. Real school, as opposed to the fake ones that hand out fake degrees and have fake professors?

Funny your medical school ranks fairly well nationally (77 in some even as high as 17 in one report) in primary care according to US News and World Report but the ever important research side was not "real" enough to be ranked.

You refer to ASU and JMU as "regional feeder schools" here is US News and World Report's definition of a regional school

Like national universities, regional universities offer a full range of undergraduate programs and provide graduate education at the master's level. But unlike national universities they offer few, if any, doctoral programs. Of the 504 regional universities, 260 are public Regional liberal arts colleges focus primarily on undergraduate education just as national liberal arts colleges do but tend to be less selective in admissions and grant fewer than 40 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines. There are 423 regional liberal arts colleges, including 67 public institutions.
[/I]

Guess what. ECU qualifies as a "regional school" Isn't that exciting! That also means that you can be rated by USN&WR against other regional schools such as JMU and ASU. If you want to look it up, in the South ECU comes in at a very respectable 8 but behind number 4 Appalachian and number 1 JMU.

And of course as stated earlier...

Appalachian Ranked 5th overall among regional public comprehensive universities in the South and 10th overall among public and private universities in the South in U.S. News & World Report's America's Best Colleges 2008 and comes in 250 overall in Forbes rankings of the top Colleges in the US while ECU comes in at 464.

Oh and don't forget Time Magazine's College of the Year in 2001.

Wow. Owned.

But remember, he did get his degree from ECU, so hes much more knowledgeable on the treatment of STD's and pig farming. Personally, I don't have any questions on either, but will be attending the game!

Touchdown Yosef
February 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hey ECU forgot about this one

http://content.kiplinger.com/tools/colleges/pubcollege.php?sortby=INRANK04&orderby=flip&states[]=NC&myschool[]=none&outputby=table

That is Kiplinger's rankings of best values in Education for North Carolina Schools. ECU did not make the list. Sorry.

Kiplinger's bases its college rankings on a combination of outstanding academic quality and an affordable price tag.
We start with nationwide data from more than 500 public four-year colleges and universities, which are provided to Peterson's/Nelnet. We supplement Peterson's data with our own reporting.
We narrow the list to about 120 schools based on several measures of academic quality, including:

* Percentage of the 2008-09 freshman class scoring 600 or higher on the verbal and math components of the SAT (or scoring 24 or higher on the ACT)
* Admission rates
* Freshman retention rates
* Student-faculty ratios
* Four- and six-year graduation rates, which most schools reported for the student cohort entering in 2002

ECU
February 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
So, according to you ECU's undergrad is ranked 8th in the southern region while App is 4th? Obvioulsy that's a huge chest thumping difference xcoffeex . I can see why you just researched 2 pages. Since you did though, why don't you actually finish your thought? You said little to nothing about the difference of what the schools offer academically in the way for post grads programs that really do research. Seems like that's kind of important considering it's where schools get their nationally reps from and where much of the innovation comes from. Not teaching health & history 101 to some 18 year olds. Last I read ECU is #1 nationally in patients per research dollar & has had several breakthrough medical inovations. Oh and your fuzzy cooked up math about how you had better support is laughable. If you really want to say you have better support we can have a conversation on that. Of course we could talk about football though since this is a football board.

Touchdown Yosef
February 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
So, according to you ECU's undergrad is ranked 8th in the southern region while App is 4th? Obvioulsy that's a huge chest thumping difference xcoffeex . I can see why you just researched 2 pages. Since you did though, why don't you actually finish your thought? You said little to nothing about the difference of what the schools offer academically in the way for post grads programs that really do research. Seems like that's kind of important considering it's where schools get their nationally reps from and where much of the innovation comes from. Not teaching health & history 101 to some 18 year olds. Last I read ECU is #1 nationally in patients per research dollar & has had several breakthrough medical inovations. Oh and your fuzzy cooked up math about how you had better support is laughable. If you really want to say you have better support we can have a conversation on that. Of course we could talk about football though since this is a football board.

Congrats you have a medical school!

Now as a comprehensive University which you are, you rank well below Appalachian in every ranking. 2 pages of research? Your math seems a bit fuzzy please look back and count the number of different polls rankings and accolades I referenced. I would think someone from the all knowing research capital of North Carolina could at least count.

Moving on I would love to talk football please tell me about the superior support the ECU generates.

ECU
February 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Congrats you have a medical school!

Yes, among other strong post grad programs. That just happen to be the most expensive school to support a university can have, as well as the most prestigious. While it may be 17th now(haven't looked, I'll take your word), it was ranked 4th in primary care, tied with Duke the year before. It & the other post grad programs are pretty important when talking about academics that you guys conveniently leave out.

Moving on I would love to talk football please tell me about the superior support the ECU generates
Not much to tell really. We average 30k+ (or more than you ever have in a season I suspect) even in years we have been terrible and go 1-11 or 2-9. When we are good we sell out the 43k seat stadium in the summer before the season even starts at much higher ticket prices. The reason we are even playing this game is because the NC State game was moved to the 2010 season for a better draw when the expansion plans were finalized & ECU will have 50k seat stadium.

Touchdown Yosef
February 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Yes, among other strong post grad programs. That just happen to be the most expensive school to support a university can have, as well as the most prestigious. While it may be 17th now(haven't looked, I'll take your word), it was ranked 4th in primary care, tied with Duke the year before. It & the other post grad programs are pretty important when talking about academics that you guys conveniently leave out.

Not much to tell really. We average 30k+ (or more than you ever have in a season I suspect) even in years we have been terrible and go 1-11 or 2-9. When we are good we sell out the 43k seat stadium in the summer before the season even starts at much higher ticket prices. The reason we are even playing this game is because the NC State game was moved to the 2010 season for a better draw when the expansion plans were finalized & ECU will have 50k seat stadium.

So glad we fit into your plans for this year, I can't wait for the game.

Your stadium only seats 43k so if you sold out every game to average 30k more than us we could only have 13k per game. Trust me you lost that one, try some research next time. And you should average more than us you have more alumni, more students, and a larger local population base to draw on for games but we do alright with what we've got.

ECU
February 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Your stadium only seats 43k
..for one more year. Then it will be 50k permanent seats. If we wanted to put 50k fans in our stadium the last couple years we could, & have in the past with temporary seating. The AD decide it wasn't worth it to rent an erector set & decided to save the money for the real thing, & create the demand for season ticket sales, until we could do it right..next year.

so if you sold out every game to average 30k more than us we could only have 13k per game. Trust me you lost that one, try some research next time.
Feel free to show me where I said any of that. All I said was your cooked up argument to try to say you had better support was a joke. If ECU put fans out on the grass around the stadium we could put 50 or 60k in for some games. Would drive down the demand for season tickets though & the value & price we could charge. Our situations & support isn't comparable. When we suck we still average 30k+.

And you should average more than us you have more alumni, more students, and a larger local population base to draw on for games but we do alright with what we've got
You have done alright recently when you win. What happens when you go 6-5 as recently as 2005 & only get 10 grand show up a game for an entire season or that were consistantly showing up before the title run. You aren't going to win it every year. You seriously want to say you have a better support? Have at it.

T-Dog
February 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
This is going to be a long winter/spring/summer. xcoffeex

ECU
February 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
xcoffeex 19-10, in which most came in the 1930-50's when we were a predominantly a women's teacher college and played on a lower level than app state at the time. The tables turned the opposite way 30+ years ago.

xnodx 40-2 vs D1aa since the split

GoBlueHens83
February 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
xnodx 40-2 vs D1aa since the split

Yeah.....Michigan had a pretty good record against I-AA's, but that didn't help much.........

AshevilleApp2
February 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
This is getting fun. xnodx

ECU
February 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah.....Michigan had a pretty good record against I-AA's, but that didn't help much.........
Actually they were winless, as they had never played a D1aa before App State or since.

Not exactly 40+ games worth with only 2 losses (& those came in the 1st couple years after the split). That also includes beating a D1aa champ (Georgia Southern), in a year we only won 1 other game that season.

The Pirates have recorded an all-time 40-2 record against FCS programs since the classification was established in 1978, but have only faced five since 1990 - UCF ('91, '93), East Tennessee State ('96), Chattanooga ('98) and William & Mary ('01).

http://ecupirates.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102108aab.html

GoBlueHens83
February 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Actually they were winless, as they had never played a D1aa before App State or since.

Not exactly 40+ games worth with only 2 losses (& those came in the 1st couple years after the split). That also includes beating a D1aa champ (Georgia Southern), in a year we only won 1 other game that season.

Not really the point I was trying to make. When ASU and ECU square off, past stats and records don't matter. You could be 3000-0 against FCS schools, and still lose the game. If you were to win that game, would you say you won it because you were 3000-0 in the past?

appmaj
February 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Not really the point I was trying to make. When ASU and ECU square off, past stats and records don't matter. You could be 3000-0 against FCS schools, and still lose the game. If you were to win that game, would you say you won it because you were 3000-0 in the past?

No they would win because according to this thing THIS guy read one time they have the top medical school in the country...

ur2k
February 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM

xpopcornx

When does football season start?

Did an ECU fan really register here to get into it with app fans about this game?

GoBlueHens83
February 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
xpopcornx

Did an ECU fan really register here to get into it with app fans about this game?

Just trying to beat the rush maybe?

AppMan
February 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM

Technically, Michigan has never played 1-aa team.

Touchdown Yosef
February 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
No they would win because according to this thing THIS guy read one time they have the top medical school in the country...

Yes and have blessed us all with a string of major medical discoveries through research. Something ASU knows nothing about.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
(distant muffled voice) -- "I heard ASU had more attractive females than ECU"

xpopcornx

i'm sorry i've gotta stop, haha

phillyAPP
February 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM

xpopcornx

I love the "Attractive female contest"

Someone start the picture show.......xsmiley_wix

ericsaid
February 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM

xpopcornx

I'm going to be going to ECU and the attractive females part, although a joke is true.xoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoo psx

appsfan
February 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
xpopcornx

No, the ECU fan is trying to pad the number of posts on this thread...

DLS
February 4th, 2009, 06:45 AM

xpopcornx

. . . . wait for it. . . . . waaait for it . . . .

. . . . i think appstate fans tailgate harder than ecu fans. xwhistlex

ECU
February 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Yes and have blessed us all with a string of major medical discoveries through research. Something ASU knows nothing about.

You may be one day because there may come a time when you need heart surgery or some other surgery. If you are fortunate you may be able to have robotic assisted surgery as it becomes more popular and more surgeons come to train at ECU, since it was pioneered at ECU. It results in “ in reduced incision size, lower infection rates and quickened recovery time.” If you or one of your kids studder ECU created & licenced a device that helps reduces that & also were one of the leaders on lapband surgury.

Not according to the one and only ever playboy top 10 list of hotest college girls they released a few years back.

10.Georgia
9. East Carolina
8. Colorado
7. Alabama
6. Florida State
5. Arizona
4. Florida
3. UCLA
2. Arizona State
1. Texas

AshevilleApp2
February 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
You may be one day because there may come a time when you need heart surgery or some other surgery. If you are fortunate you may be able to have robotic assisted surgery as it becomes more popular and more surgeons come to train at ECU, since it was pioneered at ECU. It results in “ in reduced incision size, lower infection rates and quickened recovery time.” If you or one of your kids studder ECU created & licenced a device that helps reduces that & also were one of the leaders on lapband surgury.

Not according to the one and only ever playboy top 10 list of hotest college girls they released a few years back.

10.Georgia
9. East Carolina
8. Colorado
7. Alabama
6. Florida State
5. Arizona
4. Florida
3. UCLA
2. Arizona State
1. Texas

Hey ECU, (if you are who you say you are) around here you need positive proof of such claims. Pictures. xrulesx

appmaj
February 4th, 2009, 07:59 AM

10.Georgia
9. East Carolina
8. Colorado
7. Alabama
6. Florida State
5. Arizona
4. Florida
3. UCLA
2. Arizona State
1. Texas

The ultimate in hard hitting news and fact finding...Playboy Magazine...
Is this where you got your info on top medical schools?

The very same magazine ranked ECU as a top party school as well. Doesn't being a party school destroy any idea of it being a top academic school?

ECU
February 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
The ultimate in hard hitting news and fact finding...Playboy Magazine...
Got a better authority on the subject than a 50+ year old pioneer publication that's the best known in pop culture on the topic & synonymous for beautiful women? Feel free to throw it out. I kind of think it's the standard on the subject myself.

Is this where you got your info on top medical schools?
that info came from the Carnige Institute.

The very same magazine ranked ECU as a top party school as well. Doesn't being a party school destroy any idea of it being a top academic school?
Did I say ECU was a top academic school? I must have missed that part. What I recall was some one was just comparing the schools, and Ivy league neither of us are. BTW not sure when having both ranked hot girls that like to party became a bad thing. Maybe for you mountian boys it is that like to make ned beaty look-a-likes squill like a pigs xthumbsupx.

biggie
February 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Should post pics of women at ECU, that way I'll know the ones to avoid when I go down there, to keep the hiv/clap/vd/etc away.

Rekdiver
February 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Medical School smack? We're talking football here aren't we?

appmaj
February 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
that info came from the Carnige Institute.

Maybe you mean the Carnegie Institute.

appmaj
February 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Medical School smack? We're talking football here aren't we?

Yeah we are...or should be

19-10

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Should post pics of women at ECU, that way I'll know the ones to avoid when I go down there, to keep the hiv/clap/vd/etc away.

Hey man hows it goin?!

And what he said, Pics or GTFO...;)

DLS
February 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM

10.Georgia
9. East Carolina
8. Colorado
7. Alabama
6. Florida State
5. Arizona
4. Florida
3. UCLA
2. Arizona State
1. Texas

im sorry but as far as hotties go at NC schools, UNCW wins hands down everytime.

biggie
February 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Hey man hows it goin?!

Sup, knew I'd see you around here eventually.

neersnbeers
February 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Well I've been gone for a few days. Good to see the pissing match has begun!!

WestCoastAggie
February 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM
If I have $100 just floating around in August, I will place some money on those players in the Black & Gold in Boone!

BTW: Didn't you all have a rivalry in year's past???

WestCoastAggie
February 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Technically, Michigan has never played 1-aa team.

"...and never will again."

U of M

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
^ yes, APP leads in the All time Series

Sup, knew I'd see you around here eventually.

So very true. I would love to go to this game...

biggie
February 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
So very true. I would love to go to this game...
I need to start saving. Still have to pay for season tickets and tickets/hotel for ECU. And then there is all of the other away games this year that are all within easy driving distance. Gonna hurt the wallet.

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
^ Try going to UC Davis for a game....*sigh* I'll try to get to Daytona to see our FB team...

Best of Luck to App for their redemption year xnodx

ASUMountaineer
February 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
If I have $100 just floating around in August, I will place some money on those players in the Black & Gold in Boone!

BTW: Didn't you all have a rivalry in year's past???

ECU used to be in the Southern Conference. When the NCAA created I-AA the conference chose to go I-AA and ECU chose to stay I-A. The last time we played ECU was in 1979 (IIRC) and at this point we hold a 19-10 advantage.

AshevilleApp2
February 5th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hey ECU, tell us about your team next season.

ECU
February 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hey ECU, tell us about your team next season.

We had 17 starters out during the course of the season & the vast majority were season ending. So as you would expect we had a lot of young guys get thrown in the fire, & they did well. We started the year with 1 freshman on the 2 deep & ended with 10.

I think we return 18 or 19 of the 22 guys that started & most of the 2 deep that finished out the 2nd half of the season & won the CUSA championship game. Plus we return some of our best playmakers from injury including our 2 best WR's & 2 best RB's from injury. I've seen ECU ranked in the top 25 in a couple early polls. Probably should start the year near or in the top 25.

Probably the most experience & deepest ECU team I can remember in my 20 years following them. The biggest & maybe only real question mark is TE. We lost both off the 2 deep & don't have a lot of experience there, but Holtz says he wants to go more 2 back so there are formations to get around that. Expectations are pretty high.

ericsaid
February 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Will be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 7 months, i'm pretty excited.

AshevilleApp2
February 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
We had 17 starters out during the course of the season & the vast majority were season ending. So as you would expect we had a lot of young guys get thrown in the fire, & they did well. We started the year with 1 freshman on the 2 deep & ended with 10.

I think we return 18 or 19 of the 22 guys that started & most of the 2 deep that finished out the 2nd half of the season & won the CUSA championship game. Plus we return some of our best playmakers from injury including our 2 best WR's & 2 best RB's from injury. I've seen ECU ranked in the top 25 in a couple early polls. Probably should start the year near or in the top 25.

Probably the most experience & deepest ECU team I can remember in my 20 years following them. The biggest & maybe only real question mark is TE. We lost both off the 2 deep & don't have a lot of experience there, but Holtz says he wants to go more 2 back so there are formations to get around that. Expectations are pretty high.

Considering how well your last season turned out, that could present a lot of problems for us. It should be a fun day. Now if we could only get decent barbecue down there. xwhistlex

appmaj
February 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Considering how well your last season turned out, that could present a lot of problems for us. It should be a fun day. Now if we could only get decent barbecue down there. xwhistlex

I'd settle for some East NC Barbecue at this point. B-B-Q inolves beef here and it sucks.

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'd settle for some East NC Barbecue at this point. B-B-Q inolves beef here and it sucks.

At least the beef BBQ folks out west don't think B-B-Q means "to grill" like some yankees I know.

appmaj
February 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Brisket here in NM. Not a big big fan. I miss Lexington BBQ

biggie
February 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Brisket here in NM. Not a big big fan. I miss Lexington BBQ
Living in Davidson county has its advantages: Taxes, rural and there's a goog BBQ place about 3 miles from my house. Its great.

Rekdiver
February 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM
We got our hands full with ECU. It's a must win game for their program. They recruits that will see the field including redshirts that Skip brought it are pretty solid.

Pickney is the same mold as the JMU QB. And that stadium will be much louder than any we've been in. Besides other that suckering tobacco their ain't much to do in Greenville........

CrackerRiley
February 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
We got our hands full with ECU. It's a must win game for their program. They recruits that will see the field including redshirts that Skip brought it are pretty solid.

Pickney is the same mold as the JMU QB. And that stadium will be much louder than any we've been in. Besides other that suckering tobacco their ain't much to do in Greenville........

Agree except for the bolded... not quite, I'd say.

appmaj
February 10th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Agree except for the bolded... not quite, I'd say.

Michigan
LSU

Rekdiver
February 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Forgot about LSU.....it was so freaking hot at 10 in the morining there Yep that was loud!.....I'll tell you though UM was not that loud.........Alot of people but not that loud.

appmaj
February 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I know there may not be many guys left but...NC State?

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'll tell you though UM was not that loud.........Alot of people but not that loud.

We shut them up pretty quick! xnodxxnodxxnodx

Black and Gold Express
February 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Forgot about LSU.....it was so freaking hot at 10 in the morining there Yep that was loud!.....I'll tell you though UM was not that loud.........Alot of people but not that loud.

That's the problem with their design, too much noise escapes out the top. For 109,000+, I was surprised how little noise seemed to reverberate, even at it's loudest.

Now if they went for a decked style of seating, more vertical than horizontal, then that would be real nasty. UM fans weren't sitting on their hands the whole game, that's not the reason it didn't sounds as loud as you'd expect.

elon77
February 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM

10.Georgia
9. East Carolina
8. Colorado
7. Alabama
6. Florida State
5. Arizona
4. Florida
3. UCLA
2. Arizona State
1. Texas

I think that was the list for the hotest girls that chew tobacco.

SoCon48
February 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

T-Dog
February 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM

10.Georgia
9. East Carolina
8. Colorado
7. Alabama
6. Florida State
5. Arizona
4. Florida
3. UCLA
2. Arizona State
1. Texas

But I don't want a venereal disease so I'll pass on ECU girls. xnodx

I believe it's 1/4 ECU students have an STD, and that's not a typo nor a myth.

ECU
February 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

Here are some hot babes for Elon that play on your baseball team.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/vids2007/Elon2.jpg

SoCon48
February 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
They're enroute to EZU to have some fun.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
It seems there's a strong positive correlation between the amount of alcohol (inebration) on a campus and rankings of coed hotness in anonymous polls of students. How else can UGA beat out GSU?

JMU DJ
February 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
It seems there's a strong positive correlation between the amount of alcohol (inebration) on a campus and rankings of coed hotness in anonymous polls of students. How else can UGA beat out GSU?

Skanks + Beer = Playboy Hotness

Personally they all look the same to me... Blond, pattern dress, ridiculously huge.... sunglasses, uggs, cell phone surgically attached to their ear, utters the phrase "I might could maybe," etc etc etc

Seeing the ladies that wander around downtown here in the middle of winter wearing virtually nothing might have something to do with it. They may be cold but it sure does make me feel warm.

Appinator
April 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Man I am in need of some speculation, prognostication, and estimation on how this game is going to turn out. I know the Big Blue win puffed up our chests last year to get hyped for LSU, but the Apps have got a REAL chance this year.

I challenge someone to break down the game as a well informed ECU follower, and let us know why we are going to have a tough one on our hands.

It's going to be a great game, the '09 Apps are like pancakes at IHOP: Stacked.

Not really that big of a Homer, just wanted some actual football talk after a long day at work

DLS
April 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
SI has ecu sitting at #17 right in its ranking.

love reading the stuff over on the pirate's rivals site: http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1324&tid=127817664&mid=127817664&sid=1084&style=2

SideLine Shooter
April 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Man I am in need of some speculation, prognostication, and estimation on how this game is going to turn out. I know the Big Blue win puffed up our chests last year to get hyped for LSU, but the Apps have got a REAL chance this year.

I challenge someone to break down the game as a well informed ECU follower, and let us know why we are going to have a tough one on our hands.

It's going to be a great game, the '09 Apps are like pancakes at IHOP: Stacked.

Not really that big of a Homer, just wanted some actual football talk after a long day at work

All my ecu buddies are saying CUPCAKES. Anybody seen Herbstreet?

Appinator
April 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM

love reading the stuff over on the pirate's rivals site: http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1324&tid=127817664&mid=127817664&sid=1084&style=2

#17?? To be 100% honest, I didn't ever get to see the WVU or VT games last year that put them in the top 25, but they don't seem to have any type of starting RB, and there looked like there were a number of holes in their WR Corps. With Pickney back, they have a veteran leader at QB, but who is really going to say that guy is better than Armanti?

Our depth at the skill positions on Offense is way ahead of this ECU team, but they have the edge on both lines. The spread is supposed to negate this advantage. So it's going to come down to how well our short to intermediate passing game is going to fair against their LBs. Based on the highlights I remember, this is where they beat the Hokies and other mountaineers. They lost one starter, but over all for 2009, they will have 3 Srs starting from the looks of their 08 depth chart.

appmaj
April 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I hope they continue to think this is an easy game for them...

ericsaid
April 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I saw their spring game and honestly believe they deserve their #17 ranking. Their wide recievers don't drop balls and the o line just overpowers. And then you have Patrick Pinkney who is back for his SIXTH year. Their defense is also very big and fast, just get a look at their depth chart.

depth chart: http://www.ecupirates.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/ecu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/ECUSpringDepth09

Either way I am split of who I want to win per affiliations.

whoanellie
May 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM

Fight? ECU- ASU has to be in the stands count starts during the pre-game.
including the band.
over/ under is 4.

biggie
May 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
Since they are ranked and supposed to win and we are not ranked in FBS and are supposed to lose... then we have a good chance. Based on history of unranked opponents vs ranked ECU.

Skjellyfetti
May 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
I am split of who I want to win per affiliations.

Seriously? I can understand pulling for an FBS team in addition to App........ but even considering pulling for the other team when we play is lame imo. xmadx

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
There's no way ECU is a legit top-25. They beat Virginia Tech before they removed Tyrod Taylor's redshirt and made him the starter. I honestly think Furman would have beaten VT if they had faced the same QB that ECU did. TT was almost half of their offense in that game.

I don't have anything against ECU or their program, but second to GSU-UNC I want this win more than any other FCS-FBS game. I'd love to knock some reality into these delusional Conference USA yokels (a Samford win over UCF would be nice, too). WVU may be the only noteworthy OOC win that entire conference has, and I'm not that sure the Big East is all it's cracked up to be, either.

Now someone check the Bible and make sure it's not a sin to pull for App. State, even if it's an FBS game.

hippy@GSU
May 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM
There's no way ECU is a legit top-25. They beat Virginia Tech before they removed Tyrod Taylor's redshirt and made him the starter. I honestly think Furman would have beaten VT if they had faced the same QB that ECU did. TT was almost half of their offense in that game.

I don't have anything against ECU or their program, but second to GSU-UNC I want this win more than any other FCS-FBS game. I'd love to knock some reality into these delusional Conference USA yokels (a Samford win over UCF would be nice, too). WVU may be the only noteworthy OOC win that entire conference has, and I'm not that sure the Big East is all it's cracked up to be, either.

Now someone check the Bible and make sure it's not a sin to pull for App. State, even if it's an FBS game.

I'm sure you could find something in there.

But yes, I really want Appy to smash the pirates in this one.

mountaineertider
May 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
The bet:

If App wins: Brother at ECU has to wear App gear for two days with a note that says "I should have never bet against App." around ECU's campus. I must receive a picture every two hours showing that the message is taped to his bookbag.

If ECU wins: I have to wear ECU stuff for a day with a note saying "I'm only doing this cause my brother beat me in a bet." I must send a photo confirming this every hour (apparently I'm not trustworthy :-P)

Appinator
May 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Pickney is not that great. To cheer that you have another year of a marginal quarterback at the helm is one thing. To say that he is as good as Armanti is another.

While some look at him as having the capability to be a running QB, Pickney has only had one game in his career where he had more than 90 yards rushing (in 2007). With that outlier removed, his average is around 16.2 a game (for 2007 and 2008). Last year he averaged 0.6 a carry (for 2008 alone, he only had 50 yards rushing).

Armanti's numbers speak for themselves, but they can be marginalized because of the perceived level of difficulty in our schedule. To take a better look at the numbers, if we take Apps top five most difficult games and then look at ECUs 5 easiest, we can get a better picture.

In those games Armanti averaged 91.2 yards rushing and 185.4 yards passing, for a total of 276.6 yards *( I used stats from LSU, JMU, Sam, GASo, and Elon; the top 5 closest games by final score, the Richmond game was left out because AE was hurt and all he did was throw, which would have artificially inflated his passing yards and discredited his rushing)

For Pickney, he averaged 231.4 yards passing and 4 yards rushing, with a total of 235.4 yards of offense. *(these games were the most lopsided by score, ECU over VT by 5, ECU over WVU by 21, ECU over Tulane by 4, ECU over UTEP by 32, and ECU over UAB by 4)

Even if you total up the best performances by Pickney last year individually, he only averages 270 total yards (296 vs UK, 300 vs Marshall, 248 vs. NCSU, 271 vs. Tulane, and 235 vs. WVU)

Simply put, AE is better.

biggie
May 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Without looking at numbers I would have thought Pickney was more of a runner than that^. If he is a pocket passer I would say our odds increase. Always seem to do much better against pocket QBs.

Reign of Terrier
May 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM
Pickney is not that great. To cheer that you have another year of a marginal quarterback at the helm is one thing. To say that he is as good as Armanti is another.

While some look at him as having the capability to be a running QB, Pickney has only had one game in his career where he had more than 90 yards rushing (in 2007). With that outlier removed, his average is around 16.2 a game (for 2007 and 2008). Last year he averaged 0.6 a carry (for 2008 alone, he only had 50 yards rushing).

Armanti's numbers speak for themselves, but they can be marginalized because of the perceived level of difficulty in our schedule. To take a better look at the numbers, if we take Apps top five most difficult games and then look at ECUs 5 easiest, we can get a better picture.

In those games Armanti averaged 91.2 yards rushing and 185.4 yards passing, for a total of 276.6 yards *( I used stats from LSU, JMU, Sam, GASo, and Elon; the top 5 closest games by final score, the Richmond game was left out because AE was hurt and all he did was throw, which would have artificially inflated his passing yards and discredited his rushing)

For Pickney, he averaged 231.4 yards passing and 4 yards rushing, with a total of 235.4 yards of offense. *(these games were the most lopsided by score, ECU over VT by 5, ECU over WVU by 21, ECU over Tulane by 4, ECU over UTEP by 32, and ECU over UAB by 4)

Even if you total up the best performances by Pickney last year individually, he only averages 270 total yards (296 vs UK, 300 vs Marshall, 248 vs. NCSU, 271 vs. Tulane, and 235 vs. WVU)

numbers aren't everything

Appinator
May 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM

70-24

Like those numbers?

It just proves that the return of Pickney won't be the deciding factor, as many ECU'ers would like to believe. The edge at the QB position can be a deciding factor.

Touchdown Yosef
May 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM

I thought that was an excellent and well thought out statistical comparison that took some considerable time. Thanks for your insightful comment though, I was unaware.

asu3peat
May 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
PINKNEY....not Pickney

This game will be decided in the trenches where they return a veteran o-line and a pretty good d-line with a stud, #95 CJ Wilson, who will be coming off AE's backside. App's RT will have his hands full.

ECU
May 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM

Especially when you are trying to compare the uncomparable, we played much better competiton. When Pinkney had all his healthy WR's early he completed 80% of his passes the 1st two weeks of the season vs WVU & VT & won 2 national player of the week awards. I think he is a little better than marginial as someone said.

There's no way ECU is a legit top-25.
According to NFLdraftscout.com that does projections for CBS, USA Today, & the Madden game ratings among other things, we have 6 projected draft picks in next years senior class. All but one were projected 5th round or better. We have results as well beating 3 teams that FINISHED in the top 30 last year & won our conference with almost 20 starters out at one point playing freshman. BTW ever hear of Chris Johnson? No way we could have any legit talent around here, right.

They beat Virginia Tech before they removed Tyrod Taylor's redshirt and made him the starter. I honestly think Furman would have beaten VT if they had faced the same QB that ECU did. TT was almost half of their offense in that game.
They started a 5th year senior that they won the ACC with the previous season because he beat Taylor out. Beamers a good coach and he thought he was the guy that week. Period. Pat friggen White lead the West Virginia offense to 3 points the next week, & were supposed to be scared of Tyrod Taylor or Edwards. Give me a break. You have no clue how Taylor would have done against us, he is half what White is & we bottled him up. Honestly we have done better vs the mobile QB's the last couple years than the pocket passers.

I don't have anything against ECU or their program, but second to GSU-UNC I want this win more than any other FCS-FBS game. I'd love to knock some reality into these delusional Conference USA yokels (a Samford win over UCF would be nice, too). WVU may be the only noteworthy OOC win that entire conference has, and I'm not that sure the Big East is all it's cracked up a to be, either.
You need the reality check. We are 40-2 vs your level since the split with the only 2 losses in the first couple years. We had a 2-9 ECU team beat D1aa national champion Georgia Southern and a couple of other losing ECU teams beat D1aa ranked GSU teams as well. That's the reality bro. Maybe you guys should win a D1a game ever before you start talking about reality.

Just in the last two years ECU has beat ranked Boise State, Virginia Tech, & West Virginia. I would call those pretty notworthy wins. Im not speaking for the rest of the conference but since Holtz has been here the last 4 years we have 6 BCS wins vs teams like West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, NC State, & 3 top 25 wins OOC. I think we have more than done our part & deserve a little more respect. Your entire division in 30 years has beat 1 top 25 team ever.

paward
May 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
I just want to do my share to make this thread hit 3000 post!

Reign of Terrier
May 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
70-24

Like those numbers?

It just proves that the return of Pickney won't be the deciding factor, as many ECU'ers would like to believe. The edge at the QB position can be a deciding factor.

Go ahead and focus on the numbers buddy, see where is gets you.. JMU fans pulled that number stuff on us all week before we played including SOS, yards per game, and the App score. They ended up winning by about 40 points less than they expected. The point is what happens in another game in a previous year has nothing to do with one game the next year (whether it's Wofford, App, or ECU, or anybody). So in regards of who would win next year App or ECU and App or Wofford, I would look at the way the teams played THAT SEASON not who won against who they year before.

Besides what some App fans say (Armanti Edwards is the best QB ever period or God shall strike you down) I think ECU has a QB just as good. Be careful, I was starting to stay neutral in watching this game but the all-too-common App arrogance is really making me want to root against them in every game including FBS (or did I already do thatxwhistlex)

jonmac
May 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Go ahead and focus on the numbers buddy, see where is gets you.. JMU fans pulled that number stuff on us all week before we played including SOS, yards per game, and the App score. They ended up winning by about 40 points less than they expected. The point is what happens in another game in a previous year has nothing to do with one game the next year (whether it's Wofford, App, or ECU, or anybody). So in regards of who would win next year App or ECU and App or Wofford, I would look at the way the teams played THAT SEASON not who won against who they year before.

Besides what some App fans say (Armanti Edwards is the best QB ever period or God shall strike you down) I think ECU has a QB just as good. Be careful, I was starting to stay neutral in watching this game but the all-too-common App arrogance is really making me want to root against them in every game including FBS (or did I already do thatxwhistlex)

Gee, I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing that you may not root for us.

I think it should be expected for all fans to show some arrogance about their team. I sometimes shake my head when some of our over-zealous fans go a bit overboard, but, again, it should be expected. When Wofford finally wins a National Championship, and I believe you will someday, I will expect some arrogance from you guys as well. Heck, some of it surfaced, and will again, when you beat us. There's no sense in holding it against a group of fans who love their team. Thank goodness we get to play the games and instead of relying solely on our our pi$$ing contests on internet message boards.

I fully expect us to beat ECU. Is that arrogance? I don't think so. I'm just a confident fan who believes we can beat anyone we play and I will root and argue accordingly. And if we lose, it's just a football game and life will go on.xthumbsupxxpeacex

Reign of Terrier
May 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
When Wofford finally wins a National Championship, and I believe you will someday, I will expect some arrogance from you guys as well. Heck, some of it surfaced, and will again, when you beat us.

Hard for a lot of us to be arrogant when you can only count on one hand how many fans we have:D:D

asufan87
May 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM

Pinkney is good enough that App recruited him heavily coming out of high school. He's a good QB.

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Patrick Pinkney isn't the greatest QB we have every had or anything (Jeff Blake or David Garrard). He probably doesn't even have as good of tools as James Pinkney who was the starter that preceded him but he's solid. Any time you have a guy that is accurate & smart & doesn't make many mistakes you can win games. He's had 300-400 yard passing days but we don't ask him to do that a lot as our defense wins games & the offense is more ball control. He's a good manager for that type of game plan & as a 6th year guy will know exactly what he is doing next year.

The back up QB is also a senior & pretty good as well (7-2 as the starter) & has beat Pinkney out several times for the starting job & brings an entirely different skill set. (6-4, 250 big arm). If for some reason Pinkney is struggling that day Holtz has brought Kass in the game many times & has at times just for 2 minute drills when we have to do a lot of passing. He's the guy that lead the 2 minute drive in the Hawaii Bowl to beat Boise.

Our QB's are not spectacular by D1 standards but very, very solid position at QB this year with 2 5th & 6th year seniors who have won lots of games in the clutch. I wouldn't trade our 2 guys & that depth & experience for Edwards. He's pretty frail & I don't think would last playing the teams we do.

ASU
May 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Since ECU won 3 out of 20 games against Appalachian State before they decided to go "big time".....it seems like App State normally gets better athletes.

Yeah Holtz has done well.....ECU really was not doing too well before he came there.

appmaj
May 4th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Just in the last two years ECU has beat ranked Boise State, Virginia Tech, & West Virginia. I would call those pretty notworthy wins. Im not speaking for the rest of the conference but since Holtz has been here the last 4 years we have 6 BCS wins vs teams like West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, NC State, & 3 top 25 wins OOC. I think we have more than done our part & deserve a little more respect. Your entire division in 30 years has beat 1 top 25 team ever.

That is not saying much...

DLS
May 4th, 2009, 09:20 AM
frail?
i'll need an example.

"I don't think he would last playing the teams we do." - um . . . . i disagree.

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Since ECU won 3 out of 20 games against Appalachian State before they decided to go "big time".....it seems like App State normally gets better athletes.

Yeah Holtz has done well.....ECU really was not doing too well before he came there.

What in the 30-50's? What relevance does that have to this year? Most of ASU's wins against us where in the 30's-50's when we were primarily a women's college & played on a lower level. By the mid 60's to the 70's when we decided to go "Major" college & things were even both being in the Southern Conference we finished the series 7-2 and going in an an entirely different direction. We averaged as many fans as you do now in the mid 70's. As far as not doing well, we had a 4 year period where of bad leadership, but the last 20 years we have beat more BCS schools than any non-BCS program. It's not even close. We must have done something right.

That is not saying much (beating UVA, UNC, & NCSU)...

You don't have the greatest track record against D1 teams outside the Mich upset & a handful of Wake wins. I recall 1 of your recent national title teams getting beat handily by 2 TD's a 3-9 NC State team we beat a couple years ago.

frail?
i'll need an example.

"I don't think he would last playing the teams we do." - um . . . . i disagree.
Seems like he spent several games on the sidelines injured the last couple years. I just wouldn't trade two more sturdy durable QB's we can win with for him. He might can get away with it playing a lot of Elon or Gardner Webb's, but their are bigger, faster stronger players on our schedule. We played 5 BCS teams last year & even the worst CUSA teams are better than most D1aa. There is a lot more damage inflicted on our schedule. You don't see many 170lb D1 QB's if any as slender as Edwards.

DLS
May 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Seems like he spent several games on the sidelines injured the last couple years. I just wouldn't trade two more sturdy durable QB's we can win with for him. He might can get away with it playing a lot of Elon or Gardner Webb's, but their are bigger, faster stronger players on our schedule. We played 5 BCS teams last year & even the worst CUSA teams are better than most D1aa. There is a lot more damage inflicted on our schedule. You don't see many 170lb D1 QB's if any as slender as Edwards.

injured a shoulder during summer camp '07 right before michigan. was then held out to insure no re-injuring. he very well couldve played in the western game in 08 but that would have been stupid to risk him against an easy opponent just before playoffs. how many qbs that run the way he does dont get hurt at some point or another?

look at the hits edwards takes every game, especially the LSU game, he's the favorite target of any defensive player in our league. i've never seen qb's take hits like him and then pop back up like a jack-n-the-box the way he does. never gets rattled from them either.

you are obviously assuming his fragility without seeing him play.

Appinator
May 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM
First, I'm glad I could stir up some relevant Football conversation. 125 days left and counting....

YT, I don't think me saying that AE is better than PINKNEY (sorry about that) is arrogant in any way. It might have been, if I didn't back it up with any facts, but I think I did a pretty decent job using comparable games. What does sound arrogant is when someone comes around with one sentence responses, that have no factual backing other than opinion. But no biggie, it's just the Internet.

ECU, it is apples to oranges to compare our programs as to where they are now, compared to the 30's through 50's. A lot more money has been flowing to your program, and rightfully so. Your university has clawed their way into a relatively good mid-major FBS conference. And your right again, there is something to be said of the "Trent Dilfers" (not a put down, referring to game mangers) of the world who don't put up amazing numbers, but provide solid play.

The one comparable is WVU, and the way your defense SHUT DOWN Pat White. While (in my arrogant opinion) the Apps have the advantage at QB over ECU, ECU had success at shutting down an as good, if not better QB in White. While I think we might have a little more talent at the WR position than WVU, we are essentially the same offense (Rich-Rod taught it to us himself).

To be honest, I think this is going to be the best game between instate teams this year. With the guys we have returning, I think we could handily beat UNC/Duke/NCSU/ Wake etc. , but ECU has a lot of talent returning on defense (especially in the LB corps). This is going to be a great game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
They started a 5th year senior that they won the ACC with the previous season because he beat Taylor out. Beamers a good coach and he thought he was the guy that week. Period. Pat friggen White lead the West Virginia offense to 3 points the next week, & were supposed to be scared of Tyrod Taylor or Edwards. Give me a break. You have no clue how Taylor would have done against us, he is half what White is & we bottled him up. Honestly we have done better vs the mobile QB's the last couple years than the pocket passers.

Maybe you can contain mobile QBs. Armanti Edwards is more athletic than Pat White and Tyrod Taylor, so we'll see how that comes out. What I do know is that they played TT in all but two games on the season.

You need the reality check. We are 40-2 vs your level since the split with the only 2 losses in the first couple years.

What sort of matchups were they? Were they playing good IAA teams or middle-of-the-road teams? Or bad ones? The only games in recent memory of a decent FCS/IAA playing a CUSA team was a 6-5 Nicholls State team beating a team that was 3-5 in CUSA by 2 and a 7-4 UNH team beating a 3-6 CUSA team by 13. Tulsa did stomp a mudhole in UCA this year, but the Southland was pretty weak this year.

We had a 2-9 ECU team beat D1aa national champion Georgia Southern and a couple of other losing ECU teams beat D1aa ranked GSU teams as well. That's the reality bro.

A few things you are overlooking...
1. You were 3-8, not 2-9
2. Your schedule that year consisted of a 10-2 Auburn team, A Miami team that went to a BCS bowl, Penn State (not a very good PSU team, but still PSU), and an NC State team that got a bowl bid. What would your record have been if you had played a schedule of mostly mid-majors for that season?
3. It's also worth pointing out that at the end of that same season GSU beat the brakes off of an Arkansas State team that tied Ole Miss (8-3-1).

In 1987, you guys were 5-6 and we were in rebuilding mode with a freshman quarterback and new guys at the skill positions. The best team we played that year was probably App. State as they shut us out 19-0.

Maybe you guys should win a D1a game ever before you start talking about reality.

Our FBS/IA schedule from 1984-2005 would put all of your schedules in your CUSA years to shame. For that matter, it would put every college football schedule to shame because it's almost not possible to have a lineup like it.
1984/1986/1987 East Carolina
1988 - 11-1 Florida State Sugar Bowl champs.
1990 - 10-2 Florida State
1991 - 5-5-1 Auburn
1992 - 10-2 Georgia
1993 - 9-3 Miami Fiesta Bowl loser
1994 - 10-2 Miami Orange Bowl losers
1996 - 12-2 Florida Sugar Bowl Champs
1999 - 7-5 Oregon State (lost by 7, hung 41 on a team giving up about 20 ppg)
2000 - 8-4 Georgia
2004 - 10-2 Georgia

We haven't been getting games with teams from conferences like the Big East (the current members) or Conference USA. We also haven't got to play a 5-7 Virginia, a 3-9 NC State, or a 10-3 Boise State team either.

Like I said, I don't mean any disrespect to your program, it's just that I don't think your team, the CUSA, and the Big East are as good as you think they are. If you think you think you are going to beat App. State in a blowout I think you are mistaken. xpeacex

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
you are obviously assuming his fragility without seeing him play.
I've seen him play often actually, & I have NEVER visibly seen as slender a QB in 20 years of following football at our level. I just don't seeing him be able to protect him enough & survive in D1 playing the kind of schedules we play. We had 15 starters go down last year for example.

To be honest, I think this is going to be the best game between instate teams this year. With the guys we have returning, I think we could handily beat UNC/Duke/NCSU/ Wake etc. .
ECU vs UNC is the game of the state this year IMO as of right now, but ECU, UNC, & NC State are all teams that can probably spend some time in the top 25 this year. I never count Wake Forest out either. They have one of the best coaches in football IMO. NC State may actually end up being the best if Russell Wilson could stay healthy. I think App's 5th best, at best & even Duke showed JMU who was probably the best team in D1aa the difference in the levels last year if you recall even with a new coach in his 1st game.

ValleyChamp
May 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
To be honest, I think this is going to be the best game between instate teams this year. With the guys we have returning, I think we could handily beat UNC/Duke/NCSU/ Wake etc. , but ECU has a lot of talent returning on defense (especially in the LB corps). This is going to be a great game.

Handily beating UNC and Wake? I dont think so.xcoffeex

DLS
May 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I've seen him play often actually, & I have NEVER visibly seen as slender a QB in 20 years of following football at our level. I just don't seeing him be able to protect him enough & survive in D1 playing the kind of schedules we play. We had 15 starters go down last year for example.

youre starting to sound like mel kiper on draft day. if you can play then you can play, size means very little with a player like armanti. App's whole team is smaller than average for any division yet we still remain competitive year in and year out. did that just blow your mind that a smaller than average person can play? not exactly unheard of.

his size has been mentioned as a setback since the beginning yet by some mystical power it never seems to be relevant. the kid is an exception and think people need to start realizing that.

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe you can contain mobile QBs. Armanti Edwards is more athletic than Pat White and Tyrod Taylor, so we'll see how that comes out. What I do know is that they played TT in all but two games on the season.
Edwards can't sniff White's jock. The guy just went in the 2nd round

What sort of matchups were they? Were they playing good IAA teams or middle-of-the-road teams? Or bad ones?
Most of the games were played in the early 80's a couple years after the split when the talent should have still been close & yet we still dominated. We haven't even played but 1 D1aa in the last 12 years, & that was a ranked William and Mary team our 6-6 team beat by a couple TD's in 2001.

Before that we last played East Tenn State & 2 ranked UCF teams with D. Culpepper in the mid 90's and won. Beat one of those ranked UCF team with a 2-9 ECU team as well. I also know we had some loser teams in the 80's that beat a couple highly ranked GSU teams including one of your D1aa championship teams. 40-2, they weren't all dreges.

A few things you are overlooking...
1. You were 3-8, not 2-9
Nope were 2-9, but Temple forfeited their win. xcoffeex but if it makes you feel better.

2. Your schedule that year consisted of a 10-2 Auburn team, A Miami team that went to a BCS bowl, Penn State (not a very good PSU team, but still PSU), and an NC State team that got a bowl bid. What would your record have been if you had played a schedule of mostly mid-majors for that season?
That's not how we roll around here.

In 1987, you guys were 5-6 and we were in rebuilding mode with a freshman quarterback and new guys at the skill positions. The best team we played that year was probably App. State as they shut us out 19-0.
still as #6 ranked GSU D1aa team.

Our FBS/IA schedule from 1984-2005 would put all of your schedules in your CUSA years to shame. For that matter, it would put every college football schedule to shame because it's almost not possible to have a lineup like it.
1984/1986/1987 East Carolina
1988 - 11-1 Florida State Sugar Bowl champs.
1990 - 10-2 Florida State
1991 - 5-5-1 Auburn
1992 - 10-2 Georgia
1993 - 9-3 Miami Fiesta Bowl loser
1994 - 10-2 Miami Orange Bowl losers
1996 - 12-2 Florida Sugar Bowl Champs
1999 - 7-5 Oregon State (lost by 7, hung 41 on a team giving up about 20 ppg)
2000 - 8-4 Georgia
2004 - 10-2 Georgia
Look at our schedules over the years even while in CUSA. Just recently West Virginia & Virginia Tech are winning BCS games & finishing in the top 15 consistantly. We beat them both last year & they still finished ranked. Did you see WVU beat Oklahoma & Georgia in a couple BCS games? Guess they really weren't that good aye. Just a "fake" Big East team that annilated Oklahoma & beat Georgia on their home field basicly. Before that we had a series with Miami in their prime while in CUSA & beat a couple top 10 Miami teams that finished top 15. They were legit. Virginia Tech in the Vick years & Syracuse in the McNabb years (beat a top 15 Syracuse team with him as well).

We haven't been getting games with teams from conferences like the Big East (the current members) or Conference USA. We also haven't got to play a 5-7 Virginia, a 3-9 NC State, or a 10-3 Boise State team either.
Even the 3 & 4 win ACC teams like NC State, UNC, or Duke wax the best of D1aa the last couple years like App & JMU. Wouldn't have really mattered. The 3 time we played GSU we had two, 2-9 teams & a 5-6 team & still won.

Like I said, I don't mean any disrespect to your program, it's just that I don't think your team, the CUSA, and the Big East are as good as you think they are.
..& D1aa isnt as good as you think they are.

DLS
May 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
man this game needs to hurry up and get here

appmaj
May 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
man this game needs to hurry up and get here

Anybody heard anything on tickets yet?

Skjellyfetti
May 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
We had 15 starters go down last year for example.

So, can we say that ECU is fragile as a team for the same reason you say Armanti is fragile? xwhistlex

Armanti's "fragile" frame in action:
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/mrskjellyfetti/sting1.gif?t=1241461099

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/mrskjellyfetti/float2.gif?t=1241461223

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/mrskjellyfetti/sting2.gif?t=1241461256

mountaineertider
May 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM
So, can we say that ECU is fragile as a team for the same reason you say Armanti is fragile? xwhistlex

Armanti's "fragile" frame in action:

Those don't count - it was against non-Pirate competition. xsmiley_wix

DLS
May 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Those don't count - it was against non-Pirate competition. xsmiley_wix

yes we must not forget the laws of physics change when measuring fcs vs fbs

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
We'll see how well he fairs with a projected 2nd round DE in CJ Wilson rushing him from his blindside, or if he does get to the second level one of the hardest hitting strong safteys in football that's a 3rd round projection himself among others. Hope we don't end his Sr year before it starts. Our defense should be one of the best in the nation next year.

Appinator
May 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM

ECU vs UNC is the game of the state this year IMO as of right now, but ECU, UNC, & NC State are all teams that can probably spend some time in the top 25 this year. I never count Wake Forest out either. They have one of the best coaches in football IMO. NC State may actually end up being the best if Russell Wilson could stay healthy. I think App's 5th best, at best & even Duke showed JMU who was probably the best team in D1aa the difference in the levels last year if you recall even with a new coach in his 1st game.

The injury bug can bite at any level. If you followed the team throughout our last few seasons, with the exception of 2005, our FBS games haven't been where any major injuries happened. We lost one of our star WRs on a kick off return in that 2005 game at LSU, but we left Michigan, NCSU, and LSU a second time all pretty much OK, like any normal game. Armanti took some licks, but he's got about 10-15 pounds of dreads on his head for extra protection, he'll be OK.

I really don't see how any of those ACC teams could be in the top 25. UNC lost it's best play maker in Hicks, Wake lost their best defensive player, and NCSU lost their star running back and a number of key defensive players. They all will do well, but it's because the ACC is the weakest BCS conference by far. If their in the top 25, it's by default

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
yes we must not forget the laws of physics change when measuring fcs vs fbs
Actually the laws don't change at all. What changes is that there are more..... bigger, stronger, & faster players.... in FBS who bring more damage. Edwards will get to contend with a 2nd round projected DE in next years draft rushing his blindside, & if he does get to the 2nd level we have one of the hardest hitting Safteys who is a 3rd round projection as well just on our team as well as several other NFL caliber players on D.

Skjellyfetti
May 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Actually the laws don't change at all. What changes is that their are more bigger, stronger, & faster players in FBS who bring more damage. Edwards will get to contend with a 2nd round projected DE in next years draft rushing his blindside, & if he does get to the 2nd level we have one of the hardest hitting Safteys who is a 3rd round projection as well just on our team as well as several other NFL caliber players on D.

He survived plenty of NFL talent on LSU's defense. Tyson Jackson was the 3rd overall pick.

Granted, they manhandled our offense, especially in the first half. But, his "fragile" frame survived some brutal hits and your defense isn't as good as LSU's.

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM
He survived plenty of NFL talent on LSU's defense. Tyson Jackson was the 3rd overall pick.

Granted, they manhandled our offense, especially in the first half. But, his "fragile" frame survived some brutal hits and your defense isn't as good as LSU's.

...for 1 game though, & probably what about 1 half? Do that vs 5 BCS level programs like we played last year which was my point, & all CUSA teams who even the worst of which CUSA teams are probably bigger & more talented than 90% of D1aa.

DLS
May 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Actually the laws don't change at all. What changes is that there are more..... bigger, stronger, & faster players.... in FBS who bring more damage. Edwards will get to contend with a 2nd round projected DE in next years draft rushing his blindside, & if he does get to the 2nd level we have one of the hardest hitting Safteys who is a 3rd round projection as well just on our team as well as several other NFL caliber players on D.

geez the ignorance hurts. football players in the fcs know how to hit hard too homey.

just because somebody slaps a fbs label one guy and a fcs label on another guy doesnt mean the former can magically hit harder.

ECU
May 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
geez the ignorance hurts. football players in the fcs know how to hit hard too homey.

just because somebody slaps a fbs label one guy and a fcs label on another guy doesnt mean the former can magically hit harder.

Are you really debating that in FBS as a whole there aren't bigger, faster & stronger players overall? Bigger + faster= more force homey.

AppIAA
May 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
ECU is the best team to ever grace the earth.. better than Michigan, better than LSU.. better than the Steelers.. just all around, the best team ever!

Get over yourself ECU.. the players play the game because the outcome is not known until the game is played.

Should ECU win? Yes, they should.

Should Mine That Bird have won the Kentucky Derby? No, but he did. All the other horses were "bigger and faster" but the jockey found an exploit, went after it, and won.

Believe it or not, football is won with the game planning. Yes, the players have to go by the game plan and it helps to have bigger and faster players, but that is not a requirement.

But again, ECU is amazing and the best team ever, so App shouldn't even play the game. Jerry Moore and staff are part the "least talented" of coaches and can not game plan as well as Skip Holtz and staff, so there is not way we can find anything to exploit the 22 first round draft choices ECU has on their team

Appinator
May 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
...for 1 game though, & probably what about 1 half? Do that vs 5 BCS level programs like we played last year which was my point, & all CUSA teams who even the worst of which CUSA teams are probably bigger & more talented than 90% of D1aa.

You keep going back to this, we are bigger and stronger message, yet have you even looked at our roster? These 3rd round picks you have in the secondary are smaller than our duo.

ECU:
Derek Blacknall SS 5/11 190 So-1L
Van Eskridge FS 6/1 200 Sr-3L

ASU:
McDuffie, Dominique SS 6-2 195 Fr.
LeGree, Mark FS 6-0 200 Jr.

Yes you guys have a nasty set of DEs, but one is nearly the same size as ours:

ECU:
Scotty Robinson DE 6/4 250 Sr-3L

ASU:
Robertson, Tony DE 6-2 250 Jr.

The other DE is a 6-4, 271 4th round projection (I couldn't find where he was listed as a second round pick), but he is a big dude.

Linebacker wise, we are as big, or even bigger:

ECU:
Jeremy ChamblissLB 6/1 227 Jr-2L
Nick Johnson LB 6/1 215 Sr-3L
Chris Mattocks LB 6/1 210 Sr-2L

ASU:
Smith, D.J. LB 6-1 215 Jr.
Roman, Jacque LB 6-1 240 Sr.
Brewer, Demery LB 6-2 200 So.

The size argument only gets lopsided at the DT position, but it's not David vs. Goliath.

DLS
May 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Are you really debating that in FBS as a whole there aren't bigger, faster & stronger players overall? Bigger + faster= more force homey.

this is the ignorance i was talking about. you sound foolish.

i wont argue depth or overall talent in discussing fcs vs. fbs with you but size does exist in the fcs just not as many and when it comes to appstate your speed advantage wont be there.

Skjellyfetti
May 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Those numbers have to be wrong........

ECU is in CONFERENCE USA and play FBS football-- they must be mammoths and will crush our QB with their two fingers.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9607/n29713461330415034108dh1.jpg

CrackerRiley
May 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Anybody heard anything on tickets yet?

They went on sale to students thursday morning for $40. If that is what you are asking...

appmaj
May 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
They went on sale to students thursday morning for $40. If that is what you are asking...

When can we get them?

CrackerRiley
May 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
When can we get them?

Are you a current student? If you mean we as in students you can get em now, but I don't know if they are sold out or not.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3722141

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Edwards can't sniff White's jock. The guy just went in the 2nd round

Edwards is certainly not as good of a pro prospect as White was. But as a college quarterback (a spread QB), I wouldn't go as far as to say he can't "sniff White's jock". He is just as athletic (if not more) than white, and he is not a bad passer, either.

Most of the games were played in the early 80's a couple years after the split when the talent should have still been close & yet we still dominated. We haven't even played but 1 D1aa in the last 12 years, & that was a ranked William and Mary team our 6-6 team beat by a couple TD's in 2001.

And App. State beat that same team by 13, and they weren't exactly one of the best teams in the playoffs that year.

Before that we last played East Tenn State & 2 ranked UCF teams with D. Culpepper in the mid 90's and won. Beat one of those ranked UCF team with a 2-9 ECU team as well. I also know we had some loser teams in the 80's that beat a couple highly ranked GSU teams including one of your D1aa championship teams. 40-2, they weren't all dreges.

In '96 you were 8-3 and beat a 5-6 FCS team by 21...that's not that impressive. The other win over UCF was pretty good, except I'm not sure they even beat a playoff team that year. They got exposed in the first round of the playoffs as I remember.

That's not how we roll around here.

So you're telling me your schedule in 1986 was as good as it was in 2008?

Look at our schedules over the years even while in CUSA. Just recently West Virginia & Virginia Tech are winning BCS games & finishing in the top 15 consistantly. We beat them both last year & they still finished ranked. Did you see WVU beat Oklahoma & Georgia in a couple BCS games? Guess they really weren't that good aye. Just a "fake" Big East team that annilated Oklahoma & beat Georgia on their home field basicly. Before that we had a series with Miami in their prime while in CUSA & beat a couple top 10 Miami teams that finished top 15. They were legit. Virginia Tech in the Vick years & Syracuse in the McNabb years (beat a top 15 Syracuse team with him as well).

That was 2005 and 2007. I'm talking about 2008. Last year they were less impressive. After considering how you guys lost to one of the worst SEC team in the bowl and and how you lost to the worst team in the ACC Atlantic and the fifth place team in the ACC coastal, do you honestly think any team in the Big East or CUSA could finish 0.500 in conference play in the ACC or SEC? We'll never know how you guys would have played versus Tyrod Taylor, but hey they did beat Cincinatti, Virginia, and NC State. ECU-ASU is not going to look like LSU-ASU.

Even the 3 & 4 win ACC teams like NC State, UNC, or Duke wax the best of D1aa the last couple years like App & JMU.

For every poor performance you can show me of an FCS against an FBS, I can show you a good one. Did you happen to look at the score for McNeese State-UNC or Delaware verus Maryland? Two games settled by less than a TD, neither FCS team actually made the playoffs, and both were better than the two ACC teams that you lost to.

I can make the same point with the games you played with us in the 80s. Yeah it looks bad that you were 2-9 (even though you did have a pretty brutal schedule that year) and still barely beat the national champs, but in 1987 you had a better record (with still two BCS bowl teams and a good SEC team on the schedule) and barely beat a GSU team laden with freshmen and first year starters - the same GSU team that needed to win several tight games to get into the playoffs.

appmaj
May 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Are you a current student? If you mean we as in students you can get em now, but I don't know if they are sold out or not.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3722141

Not a student. Would like to sit with other App fans.

ECU
May 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Edwards is certainly not as good of a pro prospect as White was. But as a college quarterback (a spread QB), I wouldn't go as far as to say he can't "sniff White's jock". He is just as athletic (if not more) than white, and he is not a bad passer, either.
WTH are you talking about, they are exactly the same kind of college QB, & Edwards isn't close to being a 2nd rounder which says everything that needs to be said comparing.

And App. State beat that same team by 13, and they weren't exactly one of the best teams in the playoffs that year.
They were a ranked D1aa playoff team. You asked what level of teams we were playing in that 40-2 record vs D1aa.

In '96 you were 8-3 and beat a 5-6 FCS team by 21...that's not that impressive. The other win over UCF was pretty good, except I'm not sure they even beat a playoff team that year. They got exposed in the first round of the playoffs as I remember.
Wrong again, UCF was a ranked D1aa the previous 2 times we had beat them. In 1996 UCF was a D1 team. That year we also beat top 10 & eventual Big East Champ, Miami 31-6 on their home field. Comparing scores doesn't always add up. Wins do. We are 40-2 vs D1aa & there is a reason.

So you're telling me your schedule in 1986 was as good as it was in 2008?
Actually a lot harder in the 80's-early 90's when we were indy and played 6 or 7 out of 11 games vs major conf teams. We still play about as many as we can, & now home & home. App's the exception for a late replacement for NCSU moved for next year to open our expansion.

That was 2005 and 2007. I'm talking about 2008. Last year they were less impressive. After considering how you guys lost to one of the worst SEC team in the bowl and and how you lost to the worst team in the ACC Atlantic and the fifth place team in the ACC coastal, do you honestly think any team in the Big East or CUSA could finish 0.500 in conference play in the ACC or SEC? We'll never know how you guys would have played versus Tyrod Taylor, but hey they did beat Cincinatti, Virginia, and NC State. ECU-ASU is not going to look like LSU-ASU.
D1aa has beat 2 major conf teams with 6 or more wins in 30 years & hundreds of games. Citadel over 6 win S. Carolina in 1991 & App over Mich. No one in decades of D1aa are beating 6 or more win BCS teams more than rarely. Remember that when you knock those teams. We did more just last year than your entire division has done in 30 years, beating 2 ranked teams that also finished ranked. Everyone knows we weren't the same team after the injuries as well.

For every poor performance you can show me of an FCS against an FBS, I can show you a good one. Did you happen to look at the score for McNeese State-UNC or Delaware verus Maryland? Two games settled by less than a TD, neither FCS team actually made the playoffs, and both were better than the two ACC teams that you lost to.
Moral victories. You rarely ever win those (2 times in 30 years for all of D1aa). Yet lots of crap teams actually beat your best D1aa's badly & consistantly.

I can make the same point with the games you played with us in the 80s. Yeah it looks bad that you were 2-9 (even though you did have a pretty brutal schedule that year) and still barely beat the national champs, but in 1987 you had a better record (with still two BCS bowl teams and a good SEC team on the schedule) and barely beat a GSU team laden with freshmen and first year starters - the same GSU team that needed to win several tight games to get into the playoffs.
Same one that was #6 best in D1aa that year? Wins are all that matters. Enjoy your moral victories.

appmaj
May 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Same one that was #6 best in D1aa that year? Wins are all that matters. Enjoy your moral victories.

I bet the team changed a lot from 1987 to last year

SideLine Shooter
May 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM

That is why MOST of them play at the BCS level. Does it mean they ARE better? NO. Does it mean they have more desire and heart? NO. Does it mean that they will win the game because they play at the BCS level? NO.

phillyAPP
May 5th, 2009, 01:28 PM
You keep going back to this, we are bigger and stronger message, yet have you even looked at our roster? These 3rd round picks you have in the secondary are smaller than our duo.

ECU:

ASU:

ECU:

ASU:

The other DE is a 6-4, 271 4th round projection (I couldn't find where he was listed as a second round pick), but he is a big dude.

ECU:

ASU:

The size argument only gets lopsided at the DT position, but it's not David vs. Goliath.

Tick... Tick... Tick.................I am still waiting for "ECU" response to this post ????

Play BALL !!!!!!!!!!

GO APP ...............Fight APP................Kick Purple Pirate A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!

DLS
May 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Tick... Tick... Tick.................I am still waiting for "ECU" response to this post ????

Play BALL !!!!!!!!!!

GO APP ...............Fight APP................Kick Purple Pirate A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont think he wants to acknowledged this. probably still doesnt want to acknowledge there's no santa clause either

APPStrongNC
May 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Not a student. Would like to sit with other App fans.

Stub Hub for me....

Just getting back to AGS and man I have been needing some ASU football talk.
Awesome gents.......
Getting my mouth wet for the Purple BEAT DOWN!!!!!
and Yes I think ASU will win because IM A FAN.......
Will they????
We will know that after 3pm on 9/5/09...

Question. How are the rows lettered at Dowdy-Ficklen. Start with A and AA, AAA, etc..????Looking at some tickets in 13 row EE.
Thanks..

biggie
May 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
You can request tickets when you order season tickets, credit card was charged for our ECU tickets, so we assume we got them. No official word though.

ECU
May 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
i dont think he wants to acknowledged this. probably still doesnt want to acknowledge there's no santa clause either

Please. We were discussing how IF Edwards went up against a schedule of 5 BCS teams & ALL D1 teams with 85 scholorships every game like we did last year & most every year, how he would fair. That was the discussion.

He faces ONE team that meets that criteria a year, instead of 14, & the rest of the time he faces a ton of Pyresbyterian's, Elon's, Samfords's, Citadel, Furmans Gardner Webb's & even some Mars Hill's & Lenior's. I hope he can survive those as most don't even support the 63 scholorships or even half of that D1aa is allowed.

If you REALLY want to debate that the average team in CUSA or from the BCS that we play has equivelent size & speed as what you face from probably 85% of your schedule say it, cause you will be the one with no crediblity after & have already danced around that one homey. So say it?

Play BALL !!!!!!!!!!

As far as our depth chart. Why don't you post the whole thing instead of picking & choosing? I'd hope you could field some decent size starters but we know depth is an issue with less grants & I'd be curious to see what you got behind those.

Sure you can pick a player here or there out what you want from a couple of certain positions & compare them to the #1 team in all of D1aa the last few years, to try to make a point. Doesn't really make it as App isn't like most D1aa teams Edwards plays against all year, which was the discussion.

Im just taking your word those players are your starters, but the fact is... #1 that's our spring depth chart & their are players missing from ours (Perryman comes to mind at LB & is hurt & not on the DC)

Also the weights weren't updated since last fall which matters for some of those young linebackers, a couple which were moved from Saftey this spring BTW. Patterson, & Mattocks both have STARTED at Saftey, & Thompson has played there now all LB's. I imagine we have been bulking them up & they aren't DB weights now, & change will reflect that by the fall. Happens most years. Chambliss started at saftey & was a 235lb LB last year.

I will say that this season we are a lot smaller than we have been at linebacker the last couple years. Don't believe me look up F. Wilson (who was 260), P Bell, or Q. Cotton on the outside. Well see what the guys we moved weigh in the fall though.

Reign of Terrier
May 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
OK guys I'm tired of hearing the whole my team beat this team my conference is better than yours stuff. I'll summarize what I think overall:

ECU--not overrated (fully deserve #17 ranking)
App--not overrated
QBs--both good in their different respects
CUSA--the top tiers in FCS could beat half the conference--like it or not the CUSA, MEAC, and other non-BCS conferences (except MAYBE the MWC) are not head and shoulders above the top-tying FCS teams

Prediction--ECU 37 App 23 last second TD seals it. Granted some of you App fans will look at my last post and say: he's just hating on App. I'm not, that's a respectable score and ECU will be in the BCS buster discussion longer than the first month of the season(and rightfully so). ECU could beat up on a lot of ACC, Big 10, and Big East teams IMO.

BTW someone said something about Duke beating JMU showing the difference in the conference: You don't know much about FCS football because it's common knowledge that Mickey Matthews doesn't try hard against BCS.

ericsaid
May 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM

ECU:

ASU:

ECU:

ASU:

ECU:

ASU:

Good thing all those sizes you just listed and players won't be playing each other. Look at the o line vs. d line and such and you'll see the difference.

Appinator
May 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Please. We were discussing how IF Edwards went up against a schedule of 5 BCS teams & ALL D1 teams with 85 scholorships every game like we did last year & most every year, how he would fair. That was the discussion.

He faces ONE team that meets that criteria a year, instead of 14, & the rest of the time he faces a ton of Pyresbyterian's, Elon's, Samfords's, Citadel, Furmans Gardner Webb's & even some Mars Hill's & Lenior's. I hope he can survive those as most don't even support the 63 scholorships or even half of that D1aa is allowed.

If you REALLY want to debate that the average team in CUSA or from the BCS that we play has equivelent size & speed as what you face from probably 85% of your schedule say it, cause you will be the one with no crediblity after & have already danced around that one homey. So say it?

As far as our depth chart. Why don't you post the whole thing instead of picking & choosing? I'd hope you could field some decent size starters but we know depth is an issue with less grants & I'd be curious to see what you got behind those.

Sure you can pick a player here or there out what you want from a couple of certain positions & compare them to the #1 team in all of D1aa the last few years, to try to make a point. Doesn't really make it as App isn't like most D1aa teams Edwards plays against all year, which was the discussion.

Im just taking your word those players are your starters, but the fact is... #1 that's our spring depth chart & their are players missing from ours (Perryman comes to mind at LB & is hurt & not on the DC)

Also the weights weren't updated since last fall which matters for some of those young linebackers, a couple which were moved from Saftey this spring BTW. Patterson, & Mattocks both have STARTED at Saftey, & Thompson has played there now all LB's. I imagine we have been bulking them up & they aren't DB weights now, & change will reflect that by the fall. Happens most years. Chambliss started at saftey & was a 235lb LB last year.

I will say that this season we are a lot smaller than we have been at linebacker the last couple years. Don't believe me look up F. Wilson (who was 260), P Bell, or Q. Cotton on the outside. Well see what the guys we moved weigh in the fall though.

Just as you think that it's easy for me to pick and choose who I'm comparing who too, it's just as easy for you to say "well.....these guys won't be starting by the time the season rolls around, and if they are, they are going to put on a lot more weight". Please, give me a break.

The point I was trying to make was that your argument of "we, here in CUSA, are bigger and faster than any team in FCS, as evident by the fact that our bottom dwellers could beat your top teams" does not make sense when we are comparing starter to starter (albeit projected). Yes, there are outliers where an ECU can have an advantage at (your two DL for instance), but when 8/11 of your defense is almost exactly the same size as ours, your "bigger-faster" argument becomes moot.

But congratulations, you have a couple of fat guys on the line that we can run around.

Appinator
May 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Good thing all those sizes you just listed and players won't be playing each other. Look at the o line vs. d line and such and you'll see the difference.

I know you are in the middle of switching your alliances to ECU, but please try to remember a few concepts of the spread offense from your time following ASU football:

1) It requires a number of pulls and zone blocking schemes that require large splits from one O-linemen to the next. Therefore, one of these guys have to get from point "A" to point "B" much quicker than the average two step block someone in a "pro-style" offense would have to take.

2) In zone blocking schemes, the majority of the time, you are not creating a hole, you are allowing the defense's aggression create one for you. You don't call a "32-dive" play in the spread offense, you allow for your backs to read the defensive formation, then read the play for the first two steps, and then he attacks whatever gap that appears. Most of the time, this is not one of our O-linemen overpowering another D-linemen for the result, it is taking what is presented to us.

3) The spread also relies more on a defense's ability to control the short yardage passing game, and in our case, the option play. These are all plays that are made on the parameter, not requiring pancake blocks to be made every single play.

Therefore, unless you have LSU-type talent, this is not that big of an advantage for ECU.

appmaj
May 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Ranked #51 here:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/833536.html

Ranked #29 here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/164799-2009-college-football-top-25-post-spring#page/2

#25 here:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2009/earlybird/index.htm

Here is an overview of the preaseason polls:

http://lsufootball.net/articles/2009-preseason-polls.htm

It isn't totally up to date (CFN has changed a lot for ECU from the overview to now)