PDA

View Full Version : UTSA Looking for Head Football Coach

chrisattsu
October 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Although The University of Texas at San Antonio has yet to get final approval to start a football from their chancellor, their athletic department is starting the process of hunting for a head coach.

According to this article-
[This job has ]drawn interest from current and retired college coaches, as well as assistants in the National Football League, with a decision expected in February.

They would start out as an FCS school, but they state that their long range goal is FBS (which has never been a secret).

UTSA has a goal of signing its first recruiting class in 2010 and playing its first game in 2011. The school is in negotiations with the city to play games in the Alamodome.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UTSA_hunting_coaching_candidates.html

Additionally -- I read on another board that some UTSA alums spoke with Lynn Hickey (UTSA's AD) over the weekend, and she rumored to be "working with" From Texas A&M HC RC Slocum to find a new HC for this position.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
From chrisattsu on KatFans...big news from UTSA as they look to add football...they are going to get a decent hire and move to FBS pretty quickly...as quick as they can.

While final approval for a football program at UTSA is pending in Austin, the university's athletic department already is preparing for its first big step — hiring a head coach.

Brad Parrott, the associate athletic director for external affairs at UTSA, told the San Antonio Quarterback Club on Monday that the position has drawn interest from current and retired college coaches, as well as assistants in the National Football League, with a decision expected in February.

“The problem certainly has not been a lack of interest by some big-name type of folks,” he said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UTSA_hunting_coaching_candidates.html

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
More and more talk...Regents will discuss it this week. Will this harm or aid TXST's move to FBS?

The plan calls for the University of Texas at San Antonio to develop an athletic complex, add a football program and position the school to move all its sports teams into a new conference with a higher caliber of athletics.

The proposed on-campus athletics complex is described in documents as an $84 million project. It would include a football practice field and competitive playing facilities for baseball, softball, soccer, track and tennis.

Initially, UTSA would play in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) with a projected kickoff in fall 2011.

Actual games would be at the Alamodome.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Regents_will_weigh_UTSA_football_plan.html

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Will this harm or aid TXST's move to FBS?
The two schools are in separate funding groups (UT system vs. Texas State system), but I don't think one decision is predicated on the other.

UTSA would be only the third UT system school to play football, with no football at the UT Arlington, Brownsville, Dallas, Tyler, Permian Basin, or Pan-Am campuses.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2008, 02:43 PM
The two schools are in separate funding groups (UT system vs. Texas State system), but I don't think one decision is predicated on the other.

UTSA would be only the third UT system school to play football, with no football at the UT Arlington, Brownsville, Dallas, Tyler, Permian Basin, or Pan-Am campuses.

I am very aware of the systems.

What about conference affiliations?

If TXST can not get in the Sun Belt, the need for a UTSA "travel partner" in another conference could be the ticket they need.

If a conference does not want both, they'd more than likely go UTSA over their friends in San Marcos. Just my opinion, but San Antonio is a larger market than San Marcos. UTSA has hosted major NCAA championships (basketball and volleyball) and has some pull with such things as the Alamo Bowl, more so than TXST.

slycat
December 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I think the teams should try to use each other as a package deal in moving up. Of course if UTSA starts out in the FCS in 2011, thats about when Texas St wants to move to FBS. Texas St may not want to wait on UTSA but may have to.