PDA

View Full Version : WCU Coach Wagner's comments about first half of Wofford-WCU game

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
This is not really a major thing, and I'm not trying to be some kind of "language policeman." I myself curse at times. But it is kind of funny, at least to me. The Spartanburg Herald-Journal quoted Mr. Wagner as saying "We shoved it right (at them) for most of the first half". Someone close to the Herald-Journal told me that he actually told them they shoved the ball up Wofford's ass in the first half. That's funny coming from someone losing by three touchdowns at the half (28-7). Yes, they might have been ahead in some statistical categories (WCU), but none of that matters. The only stat the matters is the scoreboard. It's like Mike Ayers said: "If they don't pass that goal line, it's just stats, and stats are irrelevant." Oh well. whatever makes WCU feel better is okay with me, I guess. We're the ones with the "W" no matter how you slice it.

Once, Wofford players tried to make a similar comment after a loss: "Well, we gained more yards than them. We won everywhere except the scoreboard." Mike Ayers said "We didn't win anywhere. We lost. The score is the only thing people remember and care about. Statistics are for losers."

813Jag
October 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
This is not really a major thing, and I'm not trying to be some kind of "language policeman." I myself curse at times. But it is kind of funny, at least to me. The Spartanburg Herald-Journal quoted Mr. Wagner as saying "We shoved it right (at them) for most of the first half". Someone close to the Herald-Journal told me that he actually told them they shoved the ball up Wofford's ass in the first half. That's funny coming from someone losing by three touchdowns at the half (28-7). Yes, they might have been ahead in some statistical categories (WCU), but none of that matters. The only stat the matters is the scoreboard. It's like Mike Ayers said: "If they don't pass that goal line, it's just stats, and stats are irrelevant." Oh well. whatever makes WCU feel better is okay with me, I guess. We're the ones with the "W" no matter how you slice it.

Once, Wofford players tried to make a similar comment after a loss: "Well, we gained more yards than them. We won everywhere except the scoreboard." Mike Ayers said "We didn't win anywhere. We lost. The score is the only thing people remember and care about. Statistics are for losers."
He must be taking lessons from Mississippi Valley's Coach Totten. Losing games by 4 TDs or more and still thinking you are the better team. xnonono2x

The Cats
October 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM
you guys win and still..... xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

what did you want Wagner to do???? xbowx xbowx xbowx

just sayin.....

catamount man
October 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
We've been down for so long, I will at least support my coach trying to find some positive. Sheesh. If it had been Briggs, it would've been "we're competing, we're getting there" blah, blah. Anyway, congrats Wofford. xcoffeex

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
October 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Wanger is simply commenting on the fact that Western should have been up 14-0 at one point in the first half. A couple of terrible mistakes caused 14-0 to turn into 7-14 and then it quicly got out of hand after that Wofford reverse run. Wofford never looked back and Western was shell shocked.