PDA

View Full Version : Most over and under rated FCS

D1B
October 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM
Over - Northern Iowa

Under - Harvard

Do not dispute this. Save your posts for someone else.

Mods, please close this thread, now.

ChiefGSU275
October 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Underrated = GSU. Ask the #2, 3, and 4 teams.

FCS Go!
October 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM
It depends on which poll/ranking you look at.

Looking at Sports Network it has to be -
Overrated- Elon
Underrated- Weber

Coaches-
Over- N. Iowa
Under- Weber

AGS is alot harder to pick one-
Over- Wofford or N. Hampshire (C. Arkansas?)
Under-Weber

For argument's sake/perspective here is my AGS ballot for the above teams:

6. Elon
7. N. Iowa
8. Wofford
11. Weber St
18. C. Arkansas
19. N. Hampshire

FWIW Harvard/Yale are chronically overrated virtually every year.

letsgopards04
October 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
I happen to think that Furman in underrated and Delware is overrated in that it took Delaware a long time to finally drop out of the polls.

89Hen
October 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I happen to think that Furman in underrated and Delware is overrated in that it took Delaware a long time to finally drop out of the polls.
I don't dispute Delaware being horrible, but I'm not sure how good FU is considering Maine and W&M both beat the Hens worse IN Newark. xpeacex

appfan2008
October 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM
overrated-elon
underrated-furman

danefan
October 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
GSU is the most underrated team I think.

San Diego is the most overrated. The fact that 25+ people thought that San Diego is good enough to be a in the top 25 means they're overrated in my book.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Elon is not overrated. They are a good team.

GSU is very underrated right now.

OL FU
October 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
I don't dispute Delaware being horrible, but I'm not sure how good FU is considering Maine and W&M both beat the Hens worse IN Newark. xpeacex

I am not sure how good FU is either but UD seems to have gotten worse also. xnodx The season has been a steady declinexrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
October 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
GSU is the most underrated team I think.

San Diego is the most overrated. The fact that 25+ people thought that San Diego is good enough to be a in the top 25 means they're overrated in my book.

This does not surprise me coming from you. They are not even ranked, get over it. Have you seen them play this year? What are you basing your opinion on?

danefan
October 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
This does not surprise me coming from you. They are not even ranked, get over it. Have you seen them play this year? What are you basing your opinion on?

They are ranked for 25+ people, so that means they are overrated by those 25+ people.

Blow out Dayton and then I'll give you some respect. Until then, San Diego is overrated in my book.

Hopefully I'll get to see them play in December in Albany.xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
October 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
They are ranked for 25+ people, so that means they are overrated by those 25+ people.

Blow out Dayton and then I'll give you some respect. Until then, San Diego is overrated in my book.

Hopefully I'll get to see them play in December in Albany.xthumbsupx

My simple question is whether you've seen them play this year?

danefan
October 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
My simple question is whether you've seen them play this year?

My simple answer is: not yet. Hopefully I'll get to see them play in December.

And before you go off on a tangent about how I don't know because I haven't seen them play, let me say this: No one gets to see everyone play. Your on-field resume (statistics, record, schedule, etc...) is all we have to go on. That's what this discussion is about. Which team is overrated. San Diego's resume is not a top 25 resume simply because San Diego has failed to play anyone worth anything. Thus, all of San Diego's statistical accomplishments (record, gaudy numbers, etc..) are greatly dilluted.

I hope you now understand why I think San Diego is overrated.

And I'm not comparing them to Albany either. Albany and San Diego are in the same boat right now, IMO. Both pretty good teams, but not top 25 material.xpeacex

USDFAN_55
October 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
My simple answer is: not yet. Hopefully I'll get to see them play in December.

And before you go off on a tangent about how I don't know because I haven't seen them play, let me say this: No one gets to see everyone play. Your on-field resume (statistics, record, schedule, etc...) is all we have to go on. That's what this discussion is about. Which team is overrated. San Diego's resume is not a top 25 resume simply because San Diego has failed to play anyone worth anything. Thus, all of San Diego's statistical accomplishments (record, gaudy numbers, etc..) are greatly dilluted.

I hope you now understand why I think San Diego is overrated.

And I'm not comparing them to Albany either. Albany and San Diego are in the same boat right now, IMO. Both pretty good teams, but not top 25 material.xpeacex

Top 25 team is probably a stretch right now, I'll agree with you on that one. But to say they are the most overrated team? They are not even ranked, and I don't count receiving some votes as being ranked.

True, San Diego has played no one of substance this year as of yet. They have been taking care of business quite handidly though. The team is doing all they can with what is put in front of them. Is it enough to warrant some votes, sure it is; is it enough to be ranked a top 25 team, not quite yet.

danefan
October 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Top 25 team is probably a stretch right now, I'll agree with you on that one. But to say they are the most overrated team? They are not even ranked, and I don't count receiving some votes as being ranked.

True, San Diego has played no one of substance this year as of yet. They have been taking care of business quite handidly though. The team is doing all they can with what is put in front of them. Is it enough to warrant some votes, sure it is; is it enough to be ranked a top 25 team, not quite yet.

I agree with everything you have said.

And I'll go back on my statement. Overrated - yes, probably not the MOST overrated though.

USDFAN_55
October 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
I agree with everything you have said.

And I'll go back on my statement. Overrated - yes, probably not the MOST overrated though.

And hopefully we will get a chance to meet in Decemberxnodx

DetroitFlyer
October 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
And hopefully we will get a chance to meet in Decemberxnodx

Maybe if Dayton goes 11-1, wins the PFL and receives an at large bid.... Then I am OK with second place USD winning at Albany!xnodx

Wolfman
October 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
Most Overrated: Montana

Most Underrated: Richmond

Even though Montana is my team, they will finish the season out of the Top 10. One-n-done has become a mantra for our Hauck-coached team.

USDFAN_55
October 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe if Dayton goes 11-1, wins the PFL and receives an at large bid.... Then I am OK with second place USD winning at Albany!xnodx

We'll see in 2 weeks. The nations longest home winning streak, and most likely the PFL title will be on the line. I'll be there, will you?

JMU DUUUKES
October 21st, 2008, 12:01 PM
Overrated: Richmond
Underrated: Richmond

I know i know. But it goes both ways. They are 2-2 against top 25 teams, and message boards think they are clearly #2 worthy. I realize that the losses were close and blah blah, but the fact is that when facing top teams, they haven't gotten it done, much like JMU last year actually.

But I also agree they still have a great shot to win it all, because of how close those losses were and how all around solid they are. If they could just catch a few breaks, they could be celebrating in Chatty.

crusader11
October 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM
UNH is very overrated
Western Illinois is underrated (overshadowed by UNI and SIU)

DuckDuckGriz
October 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Underrated: Weber

ElonFirefighter
October 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
overrated-elon
underrated-furman

If furman lost big to an overrated Elon Team how can they still be ranked???

I would consiter the fact that Furman is underrated they are a good team and have history. but Elon being overrated I cannot accept that. They are a balenced team putting up 400+ yards a game. Our one problem is we tend to play down to our competition.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Overrated: Elon

Underrated: GSU & possibly W&M (reserve judgment until after they play JMU)

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM

I know i know. But it goes both ways. They are 2-2 against top 25 teams, and message boards think they are clearly #2 worthy. I realize that the losses were close and blah blah, but the fact is that when facing top teams, they haven't gotten it done, much like JMU last year actually.

But I also agree they still have a great shot to win it all, because of how close those losses were and how all around solid they are. If they could just catch a few breaks, they could be celebrating in Chatty.

So, would you say we're rated appropriately? xoopsx

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM

I agree on the overrated part. They've lost to both good teams they've played. Fortunately for them, they only have 2 more decent teams on their schedule and should beat both of them....but, they'll go into they playoffs with zero quality wins.

Appaholic
October 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
I agree on the overrated part. They've lost to both good teams they've played. Fortunately for them, they only have 2 more decent teams on their schedule and should beat both of them....but, they'll go into they playoffs with zero quality wins.

Kind of like Montana last year.....

Pitz
October 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Overrated: McNeese St.
Underrated: William & Mary

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
UNH is very overrated
The Leathernecks have their chance to deal with that during the first two Saturdays in November. WIU has a very good team this year, but UNI and SIU have done it for several years in a row. I think the Dawgs have been in the polls over 70 weeks in a row. That kind of history has earned their program some respect. WIU meanwhile had a lull. The Leather necks have a very good D this year along with one of the best running backs in the FCS. They would make a dangerous playoff team. They still probably need to win one of those early November games to get in the field.

wideright82
October 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM

That being said, and Elon not counting as a quality win, or a good team, i would say that makes Elon the more overrated of the two.

JMU DUUUKES
October 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
That being said, and Elon not counting as a quality win, or a good team, i would say that makes Elon the more overrated of the two.

Plus UR could easily finish with all W's .... then how would we rate them ?

October 25 Georgetown (yikes ?)
November 8 at Hofstra
November 15 Delaware
November 22 at William & Mary (only decent test)

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 21st, 2008, 12:58 PM

So you don't consider Elon nor Umass to be a quality win? Man, you're a tough guy to please! I'd hate to work for you! xbowx

Villanova is the most Undderrated team in the country. They should be ranked 2nd or 3rd in the country. Not 7th.

Silenoz
October 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Most Overrated: Montana

Most Underrated: Richmond

Even though Montana is my team, they will finish the season out of the Top 10. One-n-done has become a mantra for our Hauck-coached team.
Aside from the appearances in the championship and semi-finals right?

EWU was a quality win

Well, it was a win over a quality team I guess xnonono2x

ericsaid
October 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Georgia Southern. According to the polls non scholy San Diego would handle GSU. Sad sad sad.

wideright82
October 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Plus UR could easily finish with all W's .... then how would we rate them ?

October 25 Georgetown (yikes ?)
November 8 at Hofstra
November 15 Delaware
November 22 at William & Mary (only decent test)

God only knows xconfusedx xrotatehx xbawlingx

smcwildcat
October 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
19 newhampshire hahaha U have to be joking

FCS Go!
October 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
19 newhampshire hahaha U have to be joking

Yeah, I know. They should be lower. xsmiley_wix

blur2005
October 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Overrated: Looking at results so far this year...maybe McNeese State? Not sure.

Underrated: Villanova - how the Wildcats aren't #3 is beyond me.

WrenFGun
October 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah, UNH was way overrated before the loss. They're now right where they should be, if not slightly lower.

I think the most overrated team might be Cal Poly. They lost to Montana (who lost to Weber St.) at home and had a tight-win over a clearly overhyped SDSU team. I think they're playoff worthy, but I'm not sure their resume is better than Villanova's, Montana's, Richmond's, UNI's, who they are often ranked over.

Furman is the most underrated team, or possibly SC State, who does not have an FCS loss.

jaxstatealum
October 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Over rated - Elon
Underrated - Ga Southern

youwouldno
October 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm a Furman fan but I don't think the Paladins are underrated, based on what they've actually done. There is potential for more, and starting this week @ App St., they'll have the chance to earn a higher ranking.

McNeese St. strikes me as the most overrated. Weber St. is a pretty easy pick to be the most underrated, though their schedule makes it kinda tough to really say for sure.

malibudude
October 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah, UNH was way overrated before the loss. They're now right where they should be, if not slightly lower.

I think the most overrated team might be Cal Poly. They lost to Montana (who lost to Weber St.) at home and had a tight-win over a clearly overhyped SDSU team. I think they're playoff worthy, but I'm not sure their resume is better than Villanova's, Montana's, Richmond's, UNI's, who they are often ranked over.

Furman is the most underrated team, or possibly SC State, who does not have an FCS loss.

The San Diego State team that is playing now and getting whacked on a weekly basis, is quite a bit different than the team Poly beat in the opener and which played ND tough in their next game. Most of their D-Line went down during the course of the Poly game and what was left went down at ND. The starting O-line was all but gone prior to the TCU game. Who would think an FBS opponent would be dragging down an FCS teams Sagarin?

Mustang Man
October 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
The San Diego State team that is playing now and getting whacked on a weekly basis, is quite a bit different than the team Poly beat in the opener and which played ND tough in their next game. Most of their D-Line went down during the course of the Poly game and what was left went down at ND. The starting O-line was all but gone prior to the TCU game. Who would think an FBS opponent would be dragging down an FCS teams Sagarin?

They also lost their starting QB.

Silenoz
October 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM

I would assume he meant South Dakota State

Guess it depends on your definition of "tight"

rcny46
October 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
UNH is very overrated

I would have to respectfully disagree.If they lose two or three of their last 5,then I would concur,but I don't think they should be considered very overrated at this point in spite of a couple of shoddy halves.Of course,there was that Albany game.

phoenixphanatic21
October 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
I love to go through these threads and see how many people say Elon is still overrated xlolx xlolx xlolx

While I do think #3 is a little high for us, I don't think we are overrated at all. We are pretty much right around where we need to be. 5-0 in one of the toughest conferences in the nation is pretty impressive xnodx Tell me how that is overrated?

As for underrated, I'd say Furman, though Georgia Southern is not far at all behind them.

introvertedGSUfan
October 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I love to go through these threads and see how many people say Elon is still overrated xlolx xlolx xlolx

While I do think #3 is a little high for us, I don't think we are overrated at all. We are pretty much right around where we need to be. 5-0 in one of the toughest conferences in the nation is pretty impressive xnodx Tell me how that is overrated?

As for underrated, I'd say Furman, though Georgia Southern is not far at all behind them.

There's no way Furman is more underrated than GSU. We were so unbelievably close to beating Elon until they completed that huge 4th and 10 (or was it 4th and 9) that put them in fieldgoal range. Furman didn't play near as well against them.

malibudude
October 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
I would assume he meant South Dakota State

Guess it depends on your definition of "tight"

You might be right, a 14 point win is a pretty tough definition of "tight", maybe they shouldn't have taken a knee.

BEAR
October 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
It depends on which poll/ranking you look at.

Looking at Sports Network it has to be -
Overrated- Elon
Underrated- Weber

Coaches-
Over- N. Iowa
Under- Weber

AGS is alot harder to pick one-
Over- Wofford or N. Hampshire (C. Arkansas?)
Under-Weber

For argument's sake/perspective here is my AGS ballot for the above teams:

6. Elon
7. N. Iowa
8. Wofford
11. Weber St
18. C. Arkansas
19. N. Hampshire

FWIW Harvard/Yale are chronically overrated virtually every year.

Well, I'm sure most voters should put UCA as #17..I mean only 16 teams get a playoff spot..and UCA is ineligible..so they shouldn't be ranked higher than #17 at year's end right?? xcoffeex

Grizaholic17
October 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Overrated is N. Iowa
Underrated is Weber St.

I don't just say WSU because of the loss from the griz, this team is something special. Look for them to do big things, and maybe take that title from the Griz as BSC champs

appstate38
October 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Overrated- Weber St.

They have played and beaten one playoff team. That's it. Yes they are putting up unreal numbers. Until they make some noise in the post season they will be overrated.
Overrated- UMass Beaten by good teams; struggle with teams they should beat

Overrated- NDSU My how the mighty have fallen I think they attained the lofty status based soley on have a great season LAST YEAR!

Underrated- Wofford

bjtheflamesfan
October 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think Lafayette is the most underrated. THey dominated a pretty decent Liberty team with a very good offense. As far as overrated...I think App State. they came awful close to falling to GSU last week

lizrdgizrd
October 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
As far as overrated...I think App State. they came awful close to falling to GSU last week
That's the recent story of that rivalry. Home team loses but only by a few points.

2008 ASU 37 @ GSU 36
2007 GSU 38 @ ASU 35
2006 ASU 27 @ GSU 20

appstate38
October 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
I think Lafayette is the most underrated. THey dominated a pretty decent Liberty team with a very good offense. As far as overrated...I think App State. they came awful close to falling to GSU last week

The real question here should be would you have been that close if you were playing GSU??? I don't think so. Still a BIG difference between the SoCon best and the Big South Best!!!

Grizzaholic
October 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Overrated- Weber St.

They have played and beaten one playoff team. That's it. Yes they are putting up unreal numbers. Until they make some noise in the post season they will be overrated.Overrated- UMass Beaten by good teams; struggle with teams they should beat

Overrated- NDSU My how the mighty have fallen I think they attained the lofty status based soley on have a great season LAST YEAR!

Underrated- Wofford

So they will be judged next year on past success???

grizband
October 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
That's the recent story of that rivalry. Home team loses but only by a few points.

2008 ASU 37 @ GSU 36
2007 GSU 38 @ ASU 35
2006 ASU 27 @ GSU 20
Amazing that 193 total points have been scored in these three games, yet the past two years, the margin of victory was a single point. Speaks volumes for this rivalry game, regardless of both teams current fortunes.

GolfingGriz
October 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Overrated- Weber St.

They have played and beaten one playoff team. That's it. Yes they are putting up unreal numbers. Until they make some noise in the post season they will be overrated.

Underrated- Wofford

App State has played and lost to one playoff team. I personally think App is slightly overrated because they are at #2, but they are still a top 5 team. Nobody at the top with the exception of JMU has beaten a quality opponent. Weber's win over Montana is more impressive than any wins by the top 3 socon teams. This will obviously change Saturday, but as of now you could argue that the top socon team's top games have been their losses.

LarryBoy
October 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Overrated: Appalachian State...I think the Mountaineers are good enough to be a top 5 team, that's for sure, but they haven't demonstrated it on the field yet. They're ranked so highly due to previous success alone, but they also haven't had the chance to play the other Top 3 SoCon teams in Wofford, Elon, and Furman. Take them down and #2 is well-deserved. So far to earn their #2 ranking they've....buried The Citadel, squeaked by Georgia Southern and put up a so-so performance against Samford?

Honorable mentions: UMass, Montana, McNeese State

Underrated: Georgia Southern...At this point in the season, it's justifiable to keep a team with a losing record out of the Top 25. But on any given Saturday, Georgia Southern could beat 2/3 of the Top 25. I think they've gotten rid of all of their bad bounces this year, and that really scares me (Glad we have them at home).

Honorable mentions: Villanova, Weber State

smcwildcat
October 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
as crazy as this sounds....JMU overated... no WR's but can landers stay healthy?
underated -W&M...SC state...UCA

GolfingGriz
October 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Overrated: Appalachian State...I think the Mountaineers are good enough to be a top 5 team, that's for sure, but they haven't demonstrated it on the field yet. They're ranked so highly due to previous success alone, but they also haven't had the chance to play the other Top 3 SoCon teams in Wofford, Elon, and Furman. Take them down and #2 is well-deserved. So far to earn their #2 ranking they've....buried The Citadel, squeaked by Georgia Southern and put up a so-so performance against Samford?

Underrated: Georgia Southern...At this point in the season, it's justifiable to keep a team with a losing record out of the Top 25. But on any given Saturday, Georgia Southern could beat 2/3 of the Top 25. I think they've gotten rid of all of their bad bounces this year, and that really scares me (Glad we have them at home).

Well said regarding App State. By your reasoning you could also argue that Cal Poly is overrated because they lost to Montana who is rated behind them.

URMite
October 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Overrated- Weber St.

Underrated- Wofford

Grizzaholic17:
Overrated is N. Iowa
Underrated is Weber St.

Interestingly enough if you use the 2 components of the dreaded GPI human/PC then the humans show the 2 most overrated by the PC as Weber St. & William & Mary and the PCs show the 2 most overated by the humans as Wofford & Northern Iowa.

So I guess it depends on who you believe...

Wolfman
October 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM

Don't try to be logical with myopic Griz fans. You should know by now that every team Montana plays saves their best game for the Griz. That fact alone, should make you a believer.

introvertedGSUfan
October 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM

We'll be at Paladin Stadium looking for blood this year. We've got a new and consistent freshman kicker who won't miss such an easy chip shot. xlolx

Mountain Panther
October 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Underrated: Weber

Why, just because they beat the mighty Griz? xsmiley_wix

coover
October 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
True, San Diego has played no one of substance this year as of yet. They have been taking care of business quite handidly though.

Just wondering ... why the Torreros will not even consider playing Cal Poly this year, or any year. If they want to be respected in the FCS, they need to play somebody other than non-scholarship teams.

By the way, I do respect the way USD competes within it's own league, but the "C" in FCS means that there is a possibility of a Championship. USD needs to be able to compete with schools that offer scholarships. Cal Poly would love to be able to play with another California school (there are only 4 in FCS), but USD refuses to schedule a game with them.

bjtheflamesfan
October 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
The real question here should be would you have been that close if you were playing GSU??? I don't think so. Still a BIG difference between the SoCon best and the Big South Best!!!
Would we have kept it close with GSU? I think that LU could be competitive but I think this past weekend indicated that there is still work to be done for the Flames but App State is the three time defending champs...you ought to be dominating a lot more games. I think GSU and other teams are really catching you guys. Liberty has come a LONG way but games like this past weekend with Lafayette showed that teh Flames still have some ways to go and that the Leopards are a legit team that is a force to be reckoned with come November

theasushow
October 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
As much as it pains me I think ASU may be a little overrated as well. When teams are returning kickoffs and punts for touchdowns and throwing 50-60 yard passes on ASU, they dont look like the number 2 team in the country. When the offense is on the field then I feel they should be number 1 in the country. ASU has yet to play a complete game, 7 games into the season the number 2 team in the country shouldnt have so many questions (special teams, defense at times). Fortunately it seems as though app peaks at just the right time, we should know a lot more in the next 3 weeks. Wofford, ASU, and Elon are all still unproven. App still has time to get it together, but I think this time last year we were all thinking the same thing about ASU...is this it? is the run over?? well, they turned it around and the rest is history. The scary thing is ASU has yet to play a good solid game and they are still 5-2, if defense and special teams starts clicking....watch out.

appstate38
October 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Would we have kept it close with GSU? I think that LU could be competitive but I think this past weekend indicated that there is still work to be done for the Flames but App State is the three time defending champs...you ought to be dominating a lot more games. I think GSU and other teams are really catching you guys. Liberty has come a LONG way but games like this past weekend with Lafayette showed that teh Flames still have some ways to go and that the Leopards are a legit team that is a force to be reckoned with come November

Let me hit you with some facts. We lost 2 games last year to conference opponents. It never has been or ever will be a matter of catching us. The SoCon is competitive enough to be up for grabs every year. As far as dominating more games, PC and Jacksonville YES!!! Any SoCon team other than UTC and maybe WCU, No way, no chance. Teams in this league know that every game is a dog fight and there are no games that you can take off and go on cruise control.

USDFAN_55
October 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Just wondering ... why the Torreros will not even consider playing Cal Poly this year, or any year. If they want to be respected in the FCS, they need to play somebody other than non-scholarship teams.

By the way, I do respect the way USD competes within it's own league, but the "C" in FCS means that there is a possibility of a Championship. USD needs to be able to compete with schools that offer scholarships. Cal Poly would love to be able to play with another California school (there are only 4 in FCS), but USD refuses to schedule a game with them.

I ask the same question again and again. I would love to have consistent games year in and year out against Cal Poly, UC Davis (starting to become a regular), Sac State, or Northern Arizona. Those scholls seem like logical teams to add to the schedule, but apparently our AD thinks otherwise.xconfusedx

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
There's no way Furman is more underrated than GSU. We were so unbelievably close to beating Elon until they completed that huge 4th and 10 (or was it 4th and 9) that put them in fieldgoal range. Furman didn't play near as well against them.

I'm in total agreeance that GSU is probably one of the most underrated teams in the country. Even though GSU has a losing record, I still believe they are a top 15-20 team. Losing by a combined 4 points to 3 of the top 5 teams is amazing. You were literally a play away from beating App, Wofford AND Elon.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Not sure why people feel Montana is overrated as they lost to a very good Weber team and I feel they are VERY MUCH underrated.

Overrated- I think a SoCon team is and we will find out which one over the next 3 weeks, Cal Poly, and UNI

Underrated- Georgia Southern (for reasons stated already), Weber State (should be top 10), W&M (should be top 10)

If you don't think those two should be top 10 look at the losses. Weber lost to Hawaii and Utah and beat top 10 Montana while W&M lost to Nova (my #2 team right now), a 10 point loss to NC State, and beat former top 10 UNH. If you disregard the past and look solely on resume those two belong in the top 10-12 right now.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Let me hit you with some facts. We lost 2 games last year to conference opponents. It never has been or ever will be a matter of catching us. The SoCon is competitive enough to be up for grabs every year. As far as dominating more games, PC and Jacksonville YES!!! Any SoCon team other than UTC and maybe WCU, No way, no chance. Teams in this league know that every game is a dog fight and there are no games that you can take off and go on cruise control.

The SoCon truly is the SEC of the FCS in that you only have 1-2 easy games and even those could be trap games. You have to show up to play each and every week and will likely face a ranked or receiving votes team like in the SEC. xthumbsupx

CharlestonAppFan
October 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM

So, let me ask you LB....what other team in the nation can go 4-0 AFTER they lose their:

1) starting RB (Moore out for year)
2) starting DE (All American Robertson out for year)
3) starting CB (McDuffie out for year)
4) backup RB (Welton missed last week's game)
5) starting Safety (Love missed last week's game)
6) starting WR (Hill missed last 3 weeks)
7) starting DE (Q. Lewis missed 2 games during that stretch)

Not to mention those that missed the entire season so far:

8) starting DT (All American Tharrington out for year)
9) starting DE (Washington off team)

xeyebrowx

SeattleGriz
October 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
First off, this is not intended as smack, as I have always been a GSU fan, but in light of their performance against WCU, I would have to say they are no longer underrated.

Oh yeah, that and a whole bunch of you guys who picked GSU as underrated need to keep your day jobs.

mainejeff
October 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Over: Elon, Montana, UNH
Under: Maine, Georgia Southern

Peems
October 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM

xeyebrowx WCU 31 GSU 3 4th Q. Underrated? xconfusedx

wkuhillhound
October 25th, 2008, 02:45 PM
The SoCon truly is the SEC of the FCS in that you only have 1-2 easy games and even those could be trap games. You have to show up to play each and every week and will likely face a ranked or receiving votes team like in the SEC. xthumbsupx

Georgia Southern should feel that way right now. xlolx

rcny46
October 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Sure,Buzz.

mainejeff
October 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
xeyebrowx WCU 31 GSU 3 4th Q. Underrated? xconfusedx

Woops......didn't see today's score. xeekx

mainejeff
October 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Sure,Buzz.

See you in a few weeks! :)

eaglewraith
October 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Woops......didn't see today's score. xeekx

Woops final score ;)

94Terrier
October 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Overrated: ELON (Drubbed, kicked, beaten, battered, bruised, butt-whoopin....I can keep going, but I think you get the message). Big loser at home against the Terriers.

Underrated: Weber, Harvard

bpcats
October 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Weber should be a top 10-12 team. Its hard to judge whether they should be a top five team as their big wins usually are the result of the opposing team turning the ball over an average of 4 times a game.

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Over- Elon
Under- Weber

Cat79
October 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Over rated Sam Houston State
Under rated Texas State

Texas Terror
You need to pull your head out of your A--:D

GolfingGriz
October 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Weber needs to be in the top 10. Their only losses are to FBS teams, and they have dominated against two top 15 teams in NAU and Montana.

FargoBison
October 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Over-NAU
Under-Weber State

mainejeff
October 26th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Woops final score ;)

Like I said......Georgia Southern. ;)

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Under rated: Prairie View A&M University.xreadx

Tribe4SF
October 26th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Over: Elon, NAU, McNeese, Montana
Under: Weber St., Villanova, W&M, S.C. State

Houndawg
October 26th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Under rated: Prairie View A&M University.xreadx

Changed your mind about WIU being over-rated?

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Changed your mind about WIU being over-rated?

Wrong poster Houndawg. I never commented towards WIU as I know nothing of them. xconfusedx

Carry on.

Houndawg
October 26th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Wrong poster Houndawg. I never commented towards WIU as I know nothing of them. xconfusedx

Carry on.

xoopsx xpeacex Sorry, I confused you with someone from UNI.xbowx

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM
xoopsx xpeacex Sorry, I confused you with someone from UNI.xbowx

Get'em Houndawg! lolxthumbsupx

R.A.
October 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Underrated: Prairie View A&M Panthers, Florida A&M Rattlers, South Carolina State Bulldogs.

Overrated: Hampton Pirates, Southern Illinios Salukis.

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Overrated: Hampton Pirates, Southern Illinios Salukis.

Ouch! xlolx

Houndawg
October 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
[B]Overrated: Southern Illinios Salukis.

xeyebrowx

Really? let's see........5-2 record playing base vanilla O & D under a new coach and new system......first place in the MVC including the tie-breaker at this point..........beat top 5 UNI........

xflaggedx 15 yds, uninformed nonsense.

Sorry, RA, ignorance of the play-off level teams is no excuse.

uofmman1122
October 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Over: Elon, NAU, McNeese, Montana
Under: Weber St., Villanova, W&M, S.C. StateAny reason as to why? xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
October 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Any reason as to why? xeyebrowx

Yeah. ECB.

TXST_CAT
October 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
TXST

Underrated or overrated??

MaximumBobcat
October 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
TXST

Underrated or overrated??

We weren't even in the "Also receiving votes" this week.

We're underrated...if the team that showed up against McNeese and SFA continues to.

Not so much if we see the team that played against SUU and UCA.

TXST_CAT
October 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM
We weren't even in the "Also receiving votes" this week.

We're underrated...if the team that showed up against McNeese and SFA continues to.

Not so much if we see the team that played against SUU and UCA.

We had UCA on their heels until the fumble. Had we finished that drive we'd be 3-0 in the SLC. Their coach was wise to not try and get into a shoot out with us. I think we should have forced their hand and hit the throttle against them. By the way our Defense is getting scary good. Cannot wait to see what Bleil does with this defense going into next season.

mountaineer_dax
October 27th, 2008, 02:22 AM
how is GSU underrated at all? they have a losing record. they are rated and almost lost to WCU saturday saving they pulled a miracle out of their butt.

Losing by a combined 4 points to 3 of the top 5 teams is amazing. You were literally a play away from beating App, Wofford AND Elon.

a loss is a loss. doesn't matter how much you lose by in the long run. at the end of the day that is all that matters. they just don't have what it takes to pull a comeback against a big program yet. give them a year or so and you might see them start to do that.

eaglewraith
October 27th, 2008, 05:26 AM
how is GSU underrated at all? they have a losing record. they are rated and almost lost to WCU saturday saving they pulled a miracle out of their butt.

a loss is a loss. doesn't matter how much you lose by in the long run. at the end of the day that is all that matters. they just don't have what it takes to pull a comeback against a big program yet. give them a year or so and you might see them start to do that.

Give us a year or so and we won't need comebacks. ;)

HensRock
October 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
OVER: Elon, McNeese, Harvard, Liberty
UNDER: Villanova, Weber State, SD State, Richmond

The Cats
October 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
If GSU is underrated...... then Western must really, really be underrated.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
If GSU is underrated...... then Western must really, really be underrated.

No, we just made you look that way.

7 turnovers.

137 yard in penalties.

We had 503 yards of total offense, to your 236.

We made yall look like all-stars, and I still have no idea how we pulled that one out of our butts.

Rekdiver
October 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Well, I'd pretty much say all those who said Elon was overrated will agree again!

As much as I hate to say this......my Apps are not a #2 team.

UNH 40
October 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Under: The Black Bears
Over: The Griz

terrierbob
October 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Well, I'd pretty much say all those who said Elon was overrated will agree again!

As much as I hate to say this......my Apps are not a #2 team.

You HAVE to be. We're underterriers.

introvertedGSUfan
October 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM
No, we just made you look that way.

7 turnovers.

137 yard in penalties.

We had 503 yards of total offense, to your 236.

We made yall look like all-stars, and I still have no idea how we pulled that one out of our butts.

Holy damn, I did not know we put up that many yards which doubled Western Carolina's.

I'm certainly going to keep my mouth shut now about us being underrated. It looked that way before this past game, but not now. Our offense is absolutely great when it's clicking, but they are too sloppy at times for us to now be really underrated.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Under: The Black Bears
Over: The GrizAgain...based on what?

It's not like we're ranked #3 or something. xrolleyesx

There are definitely teams more over-ranked than the Griz right now.

LacesOut
October 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Over - UNI

Under - William & Mary and Weber State

UNI Pike
October 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I see that many folks are list UNI as their overrated team. Just curious to the reasoning.

I think the teams season is make/break this week against WIU. If we win, it should be close and ugly, as usual. The coaching staff has a bend, don't break philosophy that the players take too literally. Our DEF saves the OFF, as we usually get a two score lead and then proceed to "try not to lose" play calling.

Again, just curious. And will a win over WIU change opinions?

NC Aggie
October 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
overated - NDSU. This has been an excellent program in recent years, but this year's performance doesn't warrant a ranking IMO. Wins over 2 absolute cupcakes and a loss to Youngstown and nothing really impressive. I think they are living off of last year's excellent team and record.

underated - SDSU with only a couple of votes in coaches poll. They hammered Youngstown. Got beat decisively by Poly but Poly is a very good team. At current rate SDSU will beat NDSU this year.

Another 4 loss team may be a bit underated ....UC Davis..1 or 2 votes?. They are starting to gel after a rough start (against some good oppostion). Young players in development.