PDA

View Full Version : Why would UNH get a home game?

Eaglegus2
November 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I need someone to really give a creditible answer to my question.

I know that everyone says by having New Hampshire the #1 seed it would host a 1st round game.

This is what I am wondering about:

a) Stadium only seats 6500

b) Do they have infrasturture for televising a game?

The reason I am asking these questions is Southern Ill. was ranked #1 a few years ago. And was the #1 seed, SIU had to travel to Delaware for their game.

Another issue: I don't see georgia Southern traveling to UNH for a 1st round game. The NCAA wants to make money, so they will give GSU a home game.

UNHWildCats
November 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM

I know that everyone says by having New Hampshire the #1 seed it would host a 1st round game.

The reason I am asking these questions is Southern Ill. was ranked #1 a few years ago. And was the #1 seed, SIU had to travel to Delaware for their game.

Another issue: I don't see georgia Southern traveling to UNH for a 1st round game. The NCAA wants to make money, so they will give GSU a home game.

the press area aint greta, but the NH ABC affiliate WMUR-9 televises some games during the season. They have also spent $30,000 + to put down a new field the psat two weeks while the team was on the road.

From what everyone here has been saying if there seeded there guaranteed atleast 1 home playoff game mayby rules changed since your S Illinois thing and mayby thats why it changed I dont know.

As for Georgia Southern comming here why not? we went to there house in the 1st round and won, so if we play again why not in New Hampshire :)

UNHWildCats
November 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I-AA Football Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed
budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top four seeded teams.

UNHWildCats
November 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000

To meet that the team would have to charge $6.25 per ticket for a 6500 seat stadium

Eaglegus2
November 7th, 2005, 06:26 PM
UNHWildcats, all good answers.

Like I said, having 6500 seats will hender a bid when compared to a stadium seating 18000.

BTW, how many tickets would UNH reserve for us? GSU had at least 400 in Boston for the Northeastern game.

Coastal89
November 7th, 2005, 06:42 PM
A similar question came up on our board so I looked up the attendance numbers from last years first round games. The host team follows the numbers. *rain

Stadium: Bowers Attendance: 9554 SHSU
Stadium: McAndrew Stadium Attendance: 7304 SIU
Stadium: Washington-Grizzly Attendance: 16289 Montana
Stadium: Paulson Stadium Attendance: 6053 GSU*
Stadium: Zable Stadium Attendance: 5576 W&M
Attendance: 13707 Delaware
Stadium: Goodman Stadium Attendance: 6116 Lehigh
Stadium: Paladin Stadium Attendance: 7051 Furman

Sam Adams
November 7th, 2005, 06:51 PM
UNH could throw up another 500 - 1000 bleachers in an end zone and be fine. They deserve home field advantage throughout the playoffs if they win out their season. It would be a great environment for some playoff football. A bit chilly perhaps but football is not for sissies and weather wimps now is it?

UNHWildCats
November 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM
UNHWildcats, all good answers.

Like I said, having 6500 seats will hender a bid when compared to a stadium seating 18000.

BTW, how many tickets would UNH reserve for us? GSU had at least 400 in Boston for the Northeastern game.

the rules stipulate that a seeded team has the right to a home game if they can for the 1st round guarantee 75% of gate reciepts at $30,000 that would be $6.25 per ticket in a 6500 seat stadium

putter
November 7th, 2005, 07:22 PM
They would host a game because they earned it! A team should be rewarded for their regular season play and if they get a seed,it shouldn't matter about stadium size because they have to come up with the cash to bid on the game anyway. If the administration doesn't want the game then the team will be on the road but over the last few years schools have seen the power of hosting a playoff game and now with the chance to get on ESPN what better recruiting tool can their be? I know being on TV for 3 weeks in a row had to help the Griz with recruiting.

I thought Delaware was #1 when SIU got sent there. You only get on TV if you host a 2nd round game so if GSU has to go up north, they may not have to worry about TV for the second.

twentythreeOh4
November 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM

SIU was not #1 when they went to Delaware in 2003. The seeds were:
#1 MCNEESE STATE
#2 DELAWARE
#3 WOFFORD
#4 COLGATE

If New Hampshire is a top 4 seed they will have the opportunity to host as they should for having such a great year.

Eaglegus2
November 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I was just about to post that fact. SIU was #1 GPI but #4 SNW poll. Undefeated Colgate (#6 SNW) got the 4th seed over the Salukis.

Thanks!!!! I knew that SIU had a #1 going for them somehow.

I do agree that UNH has earned the opportunity to host a 1st round game.

Does anyone think that the NCAA would deny them 3 home games because of their seating?

You know it is about $$$$$$ to the NCAA. :nod:

Mr. C
November 7th, 2005, 10:56 PM
New Hampshire hosted a first-round playoff game in 1994 against Appalachian State after going 10-1 in the regular season and finishing first in the Atlantic 10. The Wildcats lost 17-10 in the shortest overtime game in NCAA history. ASU's Aldwin Lance scored on a 25-yard run off-tackle on the first play of overtime and Jay Sutton kicked the extra point. Dexter Coakley then forced a fumble by UNH fullback Avrom Smith (who hadn't fumbled in like two years) on the next play from scrimmage and ASU defensive end Chip Miller receovered to end the game. New Hampshire drew 7,329 fans for the game, which was played in sunny, 20-degree weather. By the way, ticket prices for all playoff games are preset by the NCAA. The schools have no control over prices and even the students have to pay, which is one of many reasons for the reduced attendance figures in the playoffs.

mainejeff
November 7th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I get so sick of people complaining about the weather (especially from the fans in the South). IT'S FOOTBALL. If you don't like it then maybe we should start playing the sport indoors..... :rolleyes:

From the looks of last year's first round attendance.....no one's gonna have to worry about not having enough seats.

Mr. C
November 7th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I get so sick of people complaining about the weather (especially from the fans in the South). IT'S FOOTBALL. If you don't like it then maybe we should start playing the sport indoors..... :rolleyes:

From the looks of last year's first round attendance.....no one's gonna have to worry about not having enough seats.
Who was complaining about the weather? Just stating some facts. By the way, it was 20 degrees and sunny in Boone, N.C. on that same day. I love snow games. But weather will be a factor if games are played at Cowell Stadium in late November and December. It may also be a factor in Boone and Missoula, Mont. (UNH, ASU and Montana could end up among the top four seeds).

mainejeff
November 8th, 2005, 01:28 AM
It's also a factor when Northern teams have to play down South in September. We deal with it.

ngineer
November 8th, 2005, 06:51 AM
the rules stipulate that a seeded team has the right to a home game if they can for the 1st round guarantee 75% of gate reciepts at $30,000 that would be $6.25 per ticket in a 6500 seat stadium

I thought you said the school put down sod a couple weeks ago? :D
On that same thought, considering the colder clime up there, would new sod 'take' sufficiently at this time of year? I wouldn't think the root structure would grow much.
Also, Coastal's references the last years' attendance figures was hashed out last year. They are all under-reported numbers...

Tribe4SF
November 8th, 2005, 07:14 AM
If UNH has submitted budgets meeting the minimum for the first three rounds, they will be at home until they either face a higher seed, or lose. First round games are played on Thanksgiving weekend, and attendance is always low.

One variable that people forget is how much teams charge for a ticket. UNH tickets are normally $16 (not many), $14 and $12 for general admission. Since they've been drawing fairly well this year, I would think they may raise prices for the playoffs. GSU charges $20 I believe for most reserved seats, and generates more revenue than some schools with similar capacity. How many student tickets are available is another variable, as most charge $5 for playoffs.

bluehenbillk
November 8th, 2005, 07:19 AM
The road to Chattanooga will got through Durham, like it or not. I'll be shocked if they're not the #1 seed & will ante up the cash to host.

It doesn't matter if you're Montana, GSU or whoever, UNH will only have to play in one game outside of Durham, if they get that far, and we all know where that is.

Sam Adams
November 8th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks, I was just about to post that fact. SIU was #1 GPI but #4 SNW poll. Undefeated Colgate (#6 SNW) got the 4th seed over the Salukis.

Which was a ridiculous result as well...

Sam Adams
November 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM
September games are not playoffs. (see the thread topic)

Weather is part of football. Playing football when it is chilly out is NOT A BIG DEAL. dress appropriately and play ball. I seriously cannot believe that serious football fans would actually suggest that a game should not be played because it might be a bit cold outside.

Coastal89
November 8th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Weather is part of football. Playing football when it is chilly out is NOT A BIG DEAL. dress appropriately and play ball. I seriously cannot believe that serious football fans would actually suggest that a game should not be played because it might be a bit cold outside.
Or hot as he!! like it is here in early Sept. The highest temp that CCU has played a home game in was 95 with around 90% humidity.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Which was a ridiculous result as well...

Hey, at least Colgate proved the selection committee correct by winning three games (including one over UMass) to get to the title game.

JohnG
November 8th, 2005, 09:00 AM
The schools have no control over prices and even the students have to pay, which is one of many reasons for the reduced attendance figures in the playoffs.

I think a bigger reason is that students usually go home to spend thanksgiving with their families. I dont think we had more than a hundred Lehigh students or so at the Lehigh/JMU game last year.

ChickenMan
November 8th, 2005, 09:16 AM
If UNH wins out (at home to Iona & Maine) they will very likely be ranked #1 and certainly deserve any home playoff game they get... provided they meet the minimum bid requirement. I can understand GSU's reluctance to travel up to New Hampshire in December... from what I've seen the GSU defense would have MAJOR problems with UNH's offense and then there's the 'cold' weather factor as well. But I'm sure it's just not GSU who hopes to avoid playing in New Hampshire... as it will be very difficult for anyone in 1AA to beat UNH on their home field.

placidlakegriz
November 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=UNHWildCats] They have also spent $30,000 + to put down a new field the psat two weeks while the team was on the road. [QUOTE]

WHAT?????? Last years championship game had new sod and we all saw what a disaster that was. What were they thinking?

ChickenMan
November 8th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Delaware and Penn St both put new sod down a few weeks ago (done by the same company) and both played on their field the same week... PSU/Ohio St and UD/JMU. Neither school has had any problem with their new sod. If it's done correctly there will be no repeat of the Chattanooga mess.

89Hen
November 8th, 2005, 09:50 AM
If it's done correctly there will be no repeat of the Chattanooga mess.
Correct, for one, the sod they laid in Nooga was Bermuda which was already dormant by the time they put it down. Also the sod had only the normal amount of soil on the back. The stuff they put down at PSU and UD was 2" thick and I think I read where the sod at UNH is 1.5" thick. Should be plenty heavy and have no problem staying in place. I noticed at the UD/UMass game a couple of times big chunks coming up, but it wasn't the sod, it was the old turf outside the hashmarks.

rcny46
November 8th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I thought you said the school put down sod a couple weeks ago? :D
On that same thought, considering the colder clime up there, would new sod 'take' sufficiently at this time of year? I wouldn't think the root structure would grow much.
Also, Coastal's references the last years' attendance figures was hashed out last year. They are all under-reported numbers...

We've had some fairly mild weather up here since the new sod was installed-mid 60's Fri.&Sat.,and in the 50's the rest of the time-and from what I've heard,the powers that be are confident the root structure will be pretty much set in time for the Iona game.

rcny46
November 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
New Hampshire hosted a first-round playoff game in 1994 against Appalachian State after going 10-1 in the regular season and finishing first in the Atlantic 10. The Wildcats lost 17-10 in the shortest overtime game in NCAA history. ASU's Aldwin Lance scored on a 25-yard run off-tackle on the first play of overtime and Jay Sutton kicked the extra point. Dexter Coakley then forced a fumble by UNH fullback Avrom Smith (who hadn't fumbled in like two years) on the next play from scrimmage and ASU defensive end Chip Miller receovered to end the game. New Hampshire drew 7,329 fans for the game, which was played in sunny, 20-degree weather. By the way, ticket prices for all playoff games are preset by the NCAA. The schools have no control over prices and even the students have to pay, which is one of many reasons for the reduced attendance figures in the playoffs.

You would have to remind me of that game.UNH was playing one of its better games of the season-maybe the best-and held the lead until there was about 10 minutes left.I thought it was in the bag with a 10-0 lead at that point,but you guys tied it up,and the rest is history.If I remember correctly,there was a strong wind chill factor that day which made it seem colder.I think Appalachian St.would have been playing at home that day,but a loss to a winless VMI in the last game of the season ended those hopes.

ngineer
November 8th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I think a bigger reason is that students usually go home to spend thanksgiving with their families. I dont think we had more than a hundred Lehigh students or so at the Lehigh/JMU game last year.

Your are right. the timing with the holiday weekend sucks.

HensRock
November 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM

SIU was not seeded that year. The seeds in 2003 were as follows:
#1 McNeese St.
#2 Delaware
#3 Wofford
#4 Colgate

SIU was ranked #4 in the nation in the end-of-season TSN poll.
Delaware was ranked #3
Wofford #2
McNeese #1

The seeds don't always exactly follow TSN poll positions. Much has to do with facilities etc.

With all that said, I do think it was an injustoce that SIU had to travel to Newark for Round 1 when they were the #4 ranked team in the country, but they were NOT seeded. Just wanted to clarify.

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2005, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=UNHWildCats] They have also spent $30,000 + to put down a new field the psat two weeks while the team was on the road. [QUOTE]

WHAT?????? Last years championship game had new sod and we all saw what a disaster that was. What were they thinking?

after the URI game there wasnt much left of the field except dirt. they really had no choice but to replace it.

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM
If UNH has submitted budgets meeting the minimum for the first three rounds, they will be at home until they either face a higher seed, or lose. First round games are played on Thanksgiving weekend, and attendance is always low.

One variable that people forget is how much teams charge for a ticket. UNH tickets are normally $16 (not many), $14 and $12 for general admission. Since they've been drawing fairly well this year, I would think they may raise prices for the playoffs. GSU charges $20 I believe for most reserved seats, and generates more revenue than some schools with similar capacity. How many student tickets are available is another variable, as most charge $5 for playoffs.

High School Thanksgiving games up here draw a upwards of a few thousand people. I aint concerned about UNH filling the stadium for a home playoff game.

UDChE89
November 9th, 2005, 08:00 PM
High School Thanksgiving games up here draw a upwards of a few thousand people. I aint concerned about UNH filling the stadium for a home playoff game.

Yep, something these southerners know nothing about.. the high school rivalry game played on Thanksgiving day. They'll be three rounds into the playoffs here in GA by then. I remember many Thanksgivings going to my HS' football game with tons of hot chocolate (or coffee and brandy when I was a teen) then going home and having dinner.

dwtime
November 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Good account and bad memory for this UNH fan. You are incorrect on the back though it was the FB Lee McClinton that ran the ball, he actually had the first down too but Coakley really stuck him right on the ball. UNH actually beat themselves that day had several chances to put App St. away and didn't. One play in particular UNH QB Stayer had a screen pass to Avrom Smith, he was so wide open there was no one within 20 yards, he had any easy TD but he dropped the ball. Didn't like the SWAC refs either I think they were too cold to make any good calls. Would have been nice for UNH to win but they weren't going too win the NC.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 10th, 2005, 09:52 PM
UNH's Cowell stadium capacity is 9,571