PDA

View Full Version : TSN Players of the Week

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Lee, Ertman, Vann earn national player of the week honors

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Southern quarterback Bryant Lee, Penn free safety Britton Ertman and Florida A&M returnman Leroy Vann have been named The Sports Network's FCS national players of the week.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Bryant Lee, Southern, Senior, Quarterback, 6-2, 200, Boutte, LA.

Lee sparkled in a game filled with offensive fireworks, piling up 471 yards of total offense and having a hand in six touchdowns in Southern's 52-49 loss to Florida A&M. Lee completed 25-of-42 passes for 407 yards and three touchdowns, with one interceptions, and rushed 16 times for 64 yards and three more scores.

He moved the Jaguars into position for a possible winning touchdown until a teammate fumbled at the FAMU one in the final seconds. Lee fired touchdown passes of seven, 32 and 76 yards and had TD runs of six, eight and two yards
with at least five touchdowns.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Britton Ertman, Penn, 6-0, 185, Senior, Free Safety, Manhattan Beach, CA.

Ertman helped Penn hold off Columbia 15-10 on Saturday at home with two interceptions and a fumble recovery. Ertman got the Quakers off to a great start with an interception on Columbia's first offensive possession that he returned 40 yards to set up a field goal for a 3-0 lead. He killed off a Lion touchdown opportunity on the next drive with a pass break-up on third and short, one of two on the day, to make Columbia settle for a field goal.

Ertman's fumble recovery and return to the Columbia two set up Penn's only touchdown of the day, giving the Quakers a 13-3 lead with 8:51 left in the first half. He came back with an interception in the third quarter to end another Columbia drive at the 21 to allow Penn to keep the lead. Ertman finished with six tackles, including one for a four-yard loss on a day when the Quaker defense limited the Lions to 108 passing yards.

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Leroy Vann, Florida A&M, 5-9, 182, Junior, Cornerback/Kick Returner, Tampa, FL.

Vann returned a punt 66 yards for a touchdown to give Florida A&M the lead for good at 38-35, on the way to a 52-49 victory over Southern Saturday night on the road. It was his fourth kick return for a touchdown this season, two on kickoffs and two on punt returns. Vann finished with two punt returns for 68 yards and six kickoff returns for 135 yards.

He ranks fifth nationally in punt returns with a 17.8 average and is 25th in kickoff returns with a 25.7 average. He is averaging 123.7 all-purpose yards per game and is the team's third-leading tackler with 38 stops, 4.5 tackles for loss and one sack for a safety.

Big Dawg
October 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Leroy Vann is the FCS version of Devin Hester. I bet he'll run atleast two more kicks back.

He also had another big return called back against Southern.

813Jag
October 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Leroy Vann is the FCS version of Devin Hester. I bet he'll run atleast two more kicks back.

He also had another big return called back against Southern.
If Vann had that game against anybody else I would be happy. Love to see local kids do well. xthumbsupx

Lee and Pulley were stars in that game. Del Roberts had a career game as well.

Big Dawg
October 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
If Vann had that game against anybody else I would be happy. Love to see local kids do well. xthumbsupx

Lee and Pulley were stars in that game. Del Roberts had a career game as well.

Del Roberts had a great game but I know he had to feel TERRIBLE after that fumble on the 1 yard line. We played against him in high school.

The thing that Coach Taylor did this game that he should've done against DSU was letting Pulley play the whole 2nd half. He learned from that mistake at the beginning of the season.

813Jag
October 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Del Roberts had a great game but I know he had to feel TERRIBLE after that fumble on the 1 yard line. We played against him in high school.

The thing that Coach Taylor did this game that he should've done against DSU was letting Pulley play the whole 2nd half. He learned from that mistake at the beginning of the season.
Lots of people talked to Del after the game, he played great and they had his back.

Playing pulley in the second half was key he was a BEAST out there.