18. Massachusetts 949
19. William & Mary 555
20. Hampton 510
21. Tennessee St. 438
22. Liberty 338
23. Jacksonville St. 282
24. Lafayette 268
25. Harvard 262
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): South Carolina St. (32), San Diego (26), North Dakota St. (23), Georgia Southern (22), South Dakota St. (22), Tennessee-Martin (18), Maine (8), Eastern Washington (5), Grambling St. (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Richmond
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Liberty

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 12:05 PM
5. Elon (1) 2081
I'd like to hear from the person that gave them the (1). xeyebrowx

AppAlum2003
October 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM

IIRC, they got a first place vote last week, too.

dbackjon
October 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM
IIRC, they got a first place vote last week, too.
I guess I didn't notice last week. But they are still doing it, so it must be a regular. Speak up, I promise to be nice. :)

appfan2008
looks good to me... not much movement at the top...

WrenFGun
Think SC State should be ranked, but good poll. Missed last week, but I was mostly spot on this week.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
My ballot

1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Northern Iowa
4. Weber St.
5. Wofford
6. Montana
7. Elon
8. Southern Illinois
9. Richmond
10. Cal Poly
11. Northern Arizona
12. Villanova
13. Western Illinois
14. New Hampshire
15. McNeese St.
16. Jacksonville St.
17. Central Arkansas
18. William & Mary
19. Furman
20. Tennessee St.
21. Lafayette
22. South Carolina St.
23. Massachusetts
24. Tennessee-Martin
25. Hampton
W. Appalachian St.
L. Massachusetts

good lord... weber st at 4???

dbackjon
October 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Yup.

th0m
October 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I'm much more intrigued by the person who didn't vote Cal Poly this week, but decided to shift his #1 from - presumably - JMU to the Mustangs with their win over SDSU.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I think everyone is underrating Villanova. They beat Richmond and I believe they are going to give JMU a great game this week, with a good shot at winning. If you flip flopped Nova and Weber I would just about agree 100 percent.

dbackjon
October 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I think everyone is underrating Villanova. They beat Richmond and I believe they are going to give JMU a great game this week, with a good shot at winning. If you flip flopped Nova and Weber I would just about agree 100 percent.

If Villanova wins they will get BIG Jump. Stay close, probably get a small jump.

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Looks good to me, although I shuffled the bottom 5 around some.:)

th0m
Yeah but Richmond at #9 and then Villanova at #12?

smallcollegefbfan
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. James Madison (102) 2622
2. Appalachian St. 2475
3. Cal Poly (1) 2280
4. Wofford 2173
5. Elon (1) 2081
6. Villanova (1) 2075
7. Northern Iowa 2072
8. Richmond 1874
9. Montana 1814
10. McNeese St. 1586
11. Southern Illinois 1525
12. New Hampshire 1375
13. Central Arkansas 1279
14. Western Illinois 1262
15. Weber St. 1130
16. Furman 1122
17. Northern Arizona 1076
18. Massachusetts 949
19. William & Mary 555
20. Hampton 510
21. Tennessee St. 438
22. Liberty 338
23. Jacksonville St. 282
24. Lafayette 268
25. Harvard 262
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): South Carolina St. (32), San Diego (26), North Dakota St. (23), Georgia Southern (22), South Dakota St. (22), Tennessee-Martin (18), Maine (8), Eastern Washington (5), Grambling St. (5)

I have no problem with the Nova #1 vote but don't think Elon deserves one due to their loss to Richmond or Poly because of their loss to Montana. I voted JMU and will vote the winner of the JMU vs. Villanova game this week as #1 and feel that should be the #1 team.

Eight Legger
October 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I voted JMU and will vote the winner of the JMU vs. Villanova game this week as #1 and feel that should be the #1 team.

I would agree with you on that one, for sure.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
If Villanova wins they will get BIG Jump. Stay close, probably get a small jump.

They better! xthumbsupx

Not being mean I just believe in Nova and feel they should be top 3-5 right now. They just don't have the past reputation to get the benefit of the doubt. They are going to be like a Vanderbilt or Northwestern in the FBS and have to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt they belong with the elite before everyone will give true respect. If they beat JMU I believe they have to be in the top 3 and would be deserving of a #1 ranking with their only loss to West Virginia.

AZGrizFan
October 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I have no problem with the Nova #1 vote but don't think Elon deserves one due to their loss to Richmond or Poly because of their loss to Montana. I voted JMU and will vote the winner of the JMU vs. Villanova game this week as #1 and feel that should be the #1 team.

so what's worse, losing to Montana on a missed chip shot or being taken to OT by Penn? xrolleyesx

SuperJon
October 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I think 22 is dead on for us. I thought moving up in the rankings like we did was simply based on record and not based on where we actually were in the country. I never would've said that before the loss simply because, in our position, we needed to be ranked as high as humanly possible and I was going to fight for that. I don't think you'll see anyone arguing we should be higher than that. That's completely fair for us.

patssle
October 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
UCA beat TXST who beat McNeese. UCA has a better record than McNeese. Why is UCA below McNeese?

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I'm much more intrigued by the person who didn't vote Cal Poly this week, but decided to shift his #1 from - presumably - JMU to the Mustangs with their win over SDSU.
With different voters missing different weeks, that isn't necessarily the case. xpeacex

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
so what's worse, losing to Montana on a missed chip shot or being taken to OT by Penn? xrolleyesx

In these days when you have to win to stay in the playoff race, I think you have to say the win. Although I did not punish any of them. I just think Montana is better than Poly and Weber proved Montana is not a lock to be a top 4 team. With that said, I had both Montana and Cal Poly in my top 6 and feel they belong in the top 10 for sure. I just don't think that Poly should get a #1 vote over JMU, ASU, or Villanova at this point. JMU should be the consensus #1 team because they beat App State and if Nova beats them they will have wins over 2 top 10 teams and their only loss to a FBS squad.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
If you knew the VU/Penn game, you'd know it's often close, even when it shouldn't be. Think UM/MSU. xpeacex

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
?

th0m
October 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
With different voters missing different weeks, that isn't necessarily the case. xpeacex

You're right I hadn't thought about it that way. Then I'll just refrase my concern, and wonder why CP should get a #1 vote to begin with :p

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I think 22 is dead on for us. I thought moving up in the rankings like we did was simply based on record and not based on where we actually were in the country. I never would've said that before the loss simply because, in our position, we needed to be ranked as high as humanly possible and I was going to fight for that. I don't think you'll see anyone arguing we should be higher than that. That's completely fair for us.

Agreed. I think at the end of the day Liberty is a 19-23 type team. The problem about them moving up due to winning is that many teams are just slotted up if they win and sometimes people forget that if the #22 team loses to #1 by 2 points that they actually exceeded expectations and should not drop but do because they lost.

appfan2008
In these days when you have to win to stay in the playoff race, I think you have to say the win. Although I did not punish any of them. I just think Montana is better than Poly and Weber proved Montana is not a lock to be a top 4 team. With that said, I had both Montana and Cal Poly in my top 6 and feel they belong in the top 10 for sure. I just don't think that Poly should get a #1 vote over JMU, ASU, or Villanova at this point. JMU should be the consensus #1 team because they beat App State and if Nova beats them they will have wins over 2 top 10 teams and their only loss to a FBS squad.

If JMU loses this week Nova deserves the top spot it would just be hard for me to have them jump ASU even though they wouldve beaten the jmu team that beat asu

bjtheflamesfan
I had LU right around 22 on my ballot...I think the only way that the flames move up again is if a lot of teams around them in the rankings right now trip up.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Agreed. I think at the end of the day Liberty is a 19-23 type team. The problem about them moving up due to winning is that many teams are just slotted up if they win and sometimes people forget that if the #22 team loses to #1 by 2 points that they actually exceeded expectations and should not drop but do because they lost.

that is the problem with this poll and any at this level... we dont have the capacity to see multiple games or to fully understand what happened week in and week out... we all just hang out on here trying to learn what we can and then do our best shot... it normally works itself out just like it did this week...

smallcollegefbfan
If JMU loses this week Nova deserves the top spot it would just be hard for me to have them jump ASU even though they wouldve beaten the jmu team that beat asu

I can see why on your end, however, as voters we have to be unbiased and vote who DESERVES the #1 spot. One great thing about it is that we have playoffs and if App, Villanova, JMU, etc. truly deserves to be #1 they will have their chance to prove it in December, making these polls meaningless at that point. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
If you knew the VU/Penn game, you'd know it's often close, even when it shouldn't be. Think UM/MSU. xpeacex

or asu/gsu... !!!

IndianaAppMan
Is it just me, or do people on AGS worry WAY too much about these polls?

When it comes to things that actually matter, i.e, things besides our opinions which bear no influence on the actual outcomes of games, the polls are next to meaningless.

Four teams are seeded in the playoffs, and they're often not the top four teams in the polls, anyway. After that, the games are largely matched by region, not by a 5-16 seeding. In other words, whether a certain team is ranked 11th versus 7th means very little as to where the team will land in the playoffs.

With over a month of football left, even the top five have to win nearly all their remaining games for a chance at a seed, and, in some cases, a playoff spot.

putter
October 20th, 2008, 12:31 PM
that is the problem with this poll and any at this level... we dont have the capacity to see multiple games or to fully understand what happened week in and week out... we all just hang out on here trying to learn what we can and then do our best shot... it normally works itself out just like it did this week...

I have to agree and I try to use the GPI for additional info....

Week 8
Approved
1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Villanova
4. Montana
5. Cal Poly
6. Wofford
7. Elon
8. Northern Iowa
9. Furman
10. Weber St.
11. McNeese St.
12. Richmond
13. Southern Illinois
14. Western Illinois
15. Northern Arizona
16. William & Mary
17. New Hampshire
18. Central Arkansas
19. Hampton
20. Tennessee St.
21. Liberty
22. Massachusetts
23. The Citadel
24. South Dakota St.
25. Texas St.
W. Cal Poly
L. Massachusetts

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I can see why on your end, however, as voters we have to be unbiased and vote who DESERVES the #1 spot. One great thing about it is that we have playoffs and if App, Villanova, JMU, etc. truly deserves to be #1 they will have their chance to prove it in December, making these polls meaningless at that point. xthumbsupx

which is why i love this level of college football... but i know that asu has 3 more games that they could lose... nova has at least 3 maybe 4 that they could trip up on and jmu really could trip up on any of their last 4...

still lots to be played!

AZGrizFan
October 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM

That's all well and good, but Penn is still Penn and Montana is still Montana. If he's going to downgrade CP for letting Montana off the hook his logic doesn't make sense...

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
JMU should be the consensus #1 team because they beat App State
and UMass and Richmond. Three ranked wins, including AppSt and only a I-A loss = #1 to me. Nobody else has that resume, do they? xeyebrowx

WrenFGun

Don't mean to single Dback out, but what part of Weber's resume is better than Villanova's, who you have eight spots back? 'Nova is 5-0 against FCS competition (Weber is 4-0, I'm aware) and each have a significant win (Nova over Richmond, Weber over Montana) but 'Nova does not have a DII win and has a win over another top 25 team in William and Mary. The win over another top 25 team seems far better than what Sac. State, Montana State and Northern Colorado can present. Am I missing something?

appfan2008
Is it just me, or do people on AGS worry WAY too much about these polls?

When it comes to things that actually matter, i.e, things besides our opinions which bear no influence on the actual outcomes of games, the polls are next to meaningless.

Four teams are seeded in the playoffs, and they're often not the top four teams in the polls, anyway. After that, the games are largely matched by region, not by a 5-16 seeding. In other words, whether a certain team is ranked 11th versus 7th means very little as to where the team will land in the playoffs.

With over a month of football left, even the top five have to win nearly all their remaining games for a chance at a seed, and, in some cases, a playoff spot.

very valid points but we put time effort and energy to making each of our own polls and so we like to see how they compare... very fun to do and at the end of the day it gives us a good idea of who is doing well and who needs to step it up..

IndianaAppMan

I could not agree more! I do think, though, that the winner of the Nova-JMU game will be in much better position for a top two seed and thus a better chance at home field advantage throughout, not to mention a chance at the driver's seat towards the CAA championship.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM
That's all well and good, but Penn is still Penn and Montana is still Montana. If he's going to downgrade CP for letting Montana off the hook his logic doesn't make sense...

My logic was that Montana beat Poly and both teams have one loss, so Montana should be higher. The bottom line is that JMU should be #1 right now with no one else receiving a #1 vote at this point, however; like I said before, we have the playoffs and all of these teams will prove us wrong or right in December.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Don't mean to single Dback out, but what part of Weber's resume is better than Villanova's, who you have eight spots back? 'Nova is 5-0 against FCS competition (Weber is 4-0, I'm aware) and each have a significant win (Nova over Richmond, Weber over Montana) but 'Nova does not have a DII win and has a win over another top 25 team in William and Mary. The win over another top 25 team seems far better than what Sac. State, Montana State and Northern Colorado can present. Am I missing something?

no the rest of us are in a wait and see with both weber and NAU... their level of comp gets real good real fast they next couple of weeks

LeopardFan04
October 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I have the same 25 teams in mine. Liberty ranked above Lafayette after losing to them this week. I know that one game doesn't make a ranking, but I could see them being flip-flopped.

IndianaAppMan
October 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
very valid points but we put time effort and energy to making each of our own polls and so we like to see how they compare... very fun to do and at the end of the day it gives us a good idea of who is doing well and who needs to step it up..

well, i guess that's a decent point... polls do give us a chance to see how teams are doing around the country, outside of whichever conference we follow most closely

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I could not agree more! I do think, though, that the winner of the Nova-JMU game will be in much better position for a top two seed and thus a better chance at home field advantage throughout, not to mention a chance at the driver's seat towards the CAA championship.

I really think the winner of JMU- Nova, if they run the table, and App State, if they run the table, will be the top two seeds. App will definitely get home field throughout in the tie-breaker or a tough decision over the others as long as they win out due to reputation, ticket sales, attendance, and prestige, just like Montana does.

dwtime
October 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM

C'mon Weber has a couple big time wins against Montana-Western and Dixie State (thats a college?)

IndianaAppMan
October 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I really think the winner of JMU- Nova, if they run the table, and App State, if they run the table, will be the top two seeds. App will definitely get home field throughout in the tie-breaker or a tough decision over the others as long as they win out due to reputation, ticket sales, attendance, and prestige, just like Montana does.

Using that same logic, I think that if Wofford or Elon runs the table, either of those teams would be in position for the #2 seed. Either of those teams certainly they would be a top four seed, having only one loss to South Carolina (Wofford) or to Richmond (Elon). But again, there's so much football left to be played. Whoever wins the SoCon OR CAA may not be able to run the table, given the multiple ranked opponents remaining on their schedules.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
C'mon Weber has a couple big time wins against Montana-Western and Dixie State (thats a college?)

that is all I am trying to say...

dbackjon
October 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Rocky Mountain Bias :p

I am keeping a close eye on the game this weekend. Villanova wins, they jump a lot of teams. Lose close, they will stay or possibly even inch up.

And as W&M keeps winning, that helps as well.

KawKaw
October 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
the bottom of the list should be looked at. Harvard, a very good team, beat Lafayette. Lafayette, a good team with some weapons torched Liberty. But, still Liberty ranks over both of them. If Harvard would play Liberty, Liberty would get lose if not get embarrassed. Guys FOCUS. lol

OL FU
October 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
My logic was that Montana beat Poly and both teams have one loss, so Montana should be higher. The bottom line is that JMU should be #1 right now with no one else receiving a #1 vote at this point, however; like I said before, we have the playoffs and all of these teams will prove us wrong or right in December.

I think JMU should be number one, but I can at least make the case for Villanova. At least one really good win and no FCS losses. I can't make any case right now for Cal Poly or Elon that does not involve a lot of subjective what ifs or look at how they are playing now.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
He gave Weber a Homer vote ala Big Sky Conference. Weber is a good team but not #4.

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Lafayette 2 spots below Liberty who they beat and one spot above Harvard who took them out fairly handily. Obviously a lot of folks not paying much attention to what they do once they get beyond number 10.

grizband
October 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, and it's in Utah...xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Lafayette 2 spots below Liberty who they beat and one spot above Harvard who took them out fairly handily. Obviously a lot of folks not paying much attention to what they do once they get beyond number 10.

Yea, I only had Harvard in my Top 25...

LehighFan11
October 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Its about the body of work, not overreacting to one game.
I had Liberty 19th, Harvard 24th, and Lafayette 25th.

IndianaAppMan
October 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I think JMU should be number one, but I can at least make the case for Villanova. At least one really good win and no FCS losses. I can't make any case right now for Cal Poly or Elon that does not involve a lot of subjective what ifs or look at how they are playing now.

JMU is definitely the clear #1, but so were the New England Patriots all year long last year. So was Ohio State all year in '06. So was Montana, several times.

That's why, as much as I would have LOVED for ASU to go up to Harrisonburg and tear out hearts of the streamer-obesessed Dukes, App State's loss to JMU wasn't as crushing as it could have been. ASU can still win the national championship, and so can a lot of other teams.

SuperJon
October 20th, 2008, 02:01 PM
the bottom of the list should be looked at. Harvard, a very good team, beat Lafayette. Lafayette, a good team with some weapons torched Liberty. But, still Liberty ranks over both of them. If Harvard would play Liberty, Liberty would get lose if not get embarrassed. Guys FOCUS. lol

They torched us? Really?

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 02:01 PM
JMU is definitely the clear #1, but so were the New England Patriots all year long last year. So was Ohio State all year in '06. So was Montana, several times.

That's why, as much as I would have LOVED for ASU to go up to Harrisonburg and tear out hearts of the streamer-obesessed Dukes, App State's loss to JMU wasn't as crushing as it could have been. ASU can still win the national championship, and so can a lot of other teams.

It is for this reason that I will not be heartbroken if we lose to Villanova or W&M. In fact, a win at Nova and a loss to W&M would give us the exact same result as our 2004 season....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xwhistlex

crunifan
October 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Did UNI drop a couple spots after beating North Dakota State, or am I thinking of another poll?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Lafayette and Harvard rejoin the poll! xthumbsupx

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
It is for this reason that I will not be heartbroken if we lose to Villanova or W&M. In fact, a win at Nova and a loss to W&M would give us the exact same result as our 2004 season....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xwhistlex

uh oh... wouldnt want you to start thinking about an 04 repeat...

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM
uh oh... wouldnt want you to start thinking about an 04 repeat...

Hopefully not. I'd like at least one home playoff game...:D

URMite
October 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM

The difference is a second game is just as likely this season against Nova, ASU, maybe even UR as it is against W & M. I don't think that was true in 2004. xwhistlex

URMite
October 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Fun with transitive property

Liberty with only loss to Lafayette with only loss to Harvard with only loss to Brown who....lost to 2-6 URI...so where does that put Liberty in the CAA? xwhistlex

Just kidding! xpeacex but still funny.

Ronbo
October 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I feel very very sorry for the seed that will get Weber State or N. Arizona because it looks like they will never move up so they will be sent packing. And then once again east coast stupidity will be proved as Weber State knocks the snot out of a seeded team like so many BSC at large teams have done recently.xsmiley_wix xlolx xlolx xnodx

If your team gets a seed this year and you find out you got Weber, Montana, or NAU you better get very nervous. It will be like Montana getting Wofford in the 1st round. How does this happen?

Ronbo
October 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
If Weber beats NAU this week the Big Sky could end up with three 10-2 teams. If Weber loses I could see an 11-1, a 10-2, and a 9-3. How will they be ranked. Will you give a three loss Weber the RESPECT you're giving Richmond???? Let's see Weber's three losses would be Utah, Hawaii, and NAU. Hmmmmm...... Want to bet that 9-3 Weber State will be #22 and will stay home for the playoffs so a 5th CAA team can go to the playoffs.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Will you give a three loss Weber the RESPECT you're giving Richmond???? Let's see Weber's three losses would be Utah, Hawaii, and NAU.
UR would have wins over three ranked teams including one that might be the #1 or 2 SoCon team on the road. Weber would have one. xpeacex

SpiderFan
October 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
So Richmond handily beats a top 10 team in UMass and barely moves up, but last week they lose to the #1 team in the country on the last play of the game and drop 4 spots--that makes sense.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM
So Richmond handily beats a top 10 team in UMass and barely moves up, but last week they lose to the #1 team in the country on the last play of the game and drop 4 spots--that makes sense.

SpiderFan, keep in mind we play Georgetown and Bye the next couple of weeks ... and we will be moving up by simple function of teams in front of us playing each other and other tough teams.

I think we are better than 8th or 9th in the country ... but the ranking is appropriate right now. We'll be back up there.

Ronbo
October 20th, 2008, 03:16 PM
It's a sham that a team has 3 losses and is in the top 10. I don't care who they played. You lose one more and goodbye playoffs because there will be lot's of 3 loss teams this year and they won't let in a 4 loss over a 3 loss from any power conference or there will be a huge outcry. I don't care how good you think you are.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM
It's a sham that a team has 3 losses and is in the top 10. I don't care who they played. You lose one more and goodbye playoffs because there will be lot's of 3 loss teams this year and they won't let in a 4 loss over a 3 loss from any power conference or there will be a huge outcry. I don't care how good you think you are.

Don't worry about it bud. If we lose again, we don't deserve to go. We said that last week.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. James Madison (102) 2622
2. Appalachian St. 2475
3. Cal Poly (1) 2280
4. Wofford 2173
5. Elon (1) 2081
6. Villanova (1) 2075
7. Northern Iowa 2072
8. Richmond 1874
9. Montana 1814
10. McNeese St. 1586
11. Southern Illinois 1525
12. New Hampshire 1375
13. Central Arkansas 1279
14. Western Illinois 1262
15. Weber St. 1130
16. Furman 1122
17. Northern Arizona 1076
18. Massachusetts 949
19. William & Mary 555
20. Hampton 510
21. Tennessee St. 438
22. Liberty 338
23. Jacksonville St. 282
24. Lafayette 268
25. Harvard 262

I think the winner of Wofford-Elon should leapfrog Cal Poly IMO.

soccerguy315
October 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM

If you lose to 3 top 5ish teams, is there a reason you still can't be the ~10th best team?

Ronbo
October 20th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Really? How about a team that only loses to #14 FBS Utah and Hawaii and has trouble even cracking the top 15? What's going on there? And played them both pretty close too!

putter
October 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
If you lose to 3 top 5ish teams, is there a reason you still can't be the ~10th best team?

Because if you start playing that game - putting SOS over actually winning games then you create bigger problems. Southern Utah last year played arguably the toughest schedule in the FCS and did not win a game. Would you rank them in the top 10 for losing to so many ranked teams? You have to find a middle ground. Georgia Southern is a very good team and has lost some close games but doesn't winning count for something or is it now about who you lose to?

LehighFan11
October 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think the winner of Wofford-Elon should leapfrog Cal Poly IMO.

I agree. My top 5 is identical to the overall poll and the winner of Woffor/Elon will jump Cal Ploy. Also depending on how JMU/App do their spots are set in stone.

USDFAN_55
October 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Team A beat Team B; Team B beat Team C; therefore Team A is better than Team C

That logic doesn't work around here. It's been tried many times, and shot down just as manyxnodx

tribe_pride
October 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Really? How about a team that only loses to #14 FBS Utah and Hawaii and has trouble even cracking the top 15? What's going on there? And played them both pretty close too!

The problem you get to there is who have you beaten? When the answer is 2 DII or DIII schools (don't know), a 3-4 team by 5 points, another 3-4 team, a 1-5 team and then a 6-1 team (ranked 9 FCS), there is a big ?. They have 1 good win but so do other teams. Also, Weber was down 37-7 to Utah in the 4th before scoring 2 TDs so that was not that close.

89Hen
October 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM
It's a sham that a team has 3 losses and is in the top 10. I don't care who they played. You lose one more and goodbye playoffs
xconfusedx What does a future possible loss and the playoffs have to do with a ranking in week 8?? xconfusedx xnutsx

89Hen
October 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Backwards logic. Through two weeks Idaho State only had losses to #13 I-A Boise State and Idaho... I guess they got overlooked by the pollsters here too. xrolleyesx