PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week 9

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
You know the drill you homers.

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I was thinking about this week. And it seems to me that the later in the year that we go, the GOW might not necessarily be the two best teams, but the one that has the most playoff implications.

It would be helpful to get a run down (not from 89Hen, but from the teams' fans) of what the game means to each team before I vote.

Thanks for your help and I approve this message.

DetroitFlyer
October 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Not many thoughts on week 9....

But.... If San Diego and Dayton both take care of business as expected in week 9, look for a great game in San Diego during week 10, (Dayton at San Diego), with the PFL title potentially hanging in the balance....

jus10asu
October 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
This is a toss up between App v. Furman and Elon v. Wofford... For me its the ASU v. Furman game though because this is the beginning of a tough two week stretch for my boys. The JMU game is a good one too. This is gonna be a good weekend of football.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
This is a toss up between App v. Furman and Elon v. Wofford...
I think it's a toss up between Elon/WC and JMU/VU. xpeacex

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Although mightily tempted by Penn-Yale, I chose JMU-Nova!;)

OLDMAIN80
October 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
WOFFORD/ELON no contest.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
WOFFORD/ELON no contest.
I think that's a great game, but I am surprised to hear these couple SoCon fans saying 'no contest' with the SoCon games. xeyebrowx

'neers80
October 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I Voted Elon v Wofford ... two top ten teams battling for the edge for the SoCon championship ... App has yet to play either so the winner (both teams come to the rock) will be in the best position to contend for the championship with App ... which comes with an Auto Bid and good chance of being seeded!

813Jag
October 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I went the homer route and voted SU/PVU, if only because I want to see Southern's O against PV's D. But my eyes will be on FU/ASU, Elon/Wofford, and JMU/Nova.

Bulldog87
October 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
If Hampton beats SCSU it all but eliminates us from playoff contention and gives Hampton the Conference title and autobid. If we beat Hampton and win out and Hampton wins out after Saturday the MEAC might get 2 teams in the playoffs. SCSU as MEAC champs and Hampton as an at large if they play us close and with a close loss at SIU. If we lose and win out we probably won't get an at large bid and neither will Del State if they win out an beat us leaving them with one MEAC loss. As far as conference play to get teams in the playoffs is concerened this is the biggest FCS game of the week.

already123
October 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
By far Weber/NAU

App v Furman is a big game every year...this year is no different
Same can be said with the other games IMO

This year features two of the hottest teams in FCS who have clawed their way to respectability this year. I like the match up, i LOVE the implications. Homecoming for NAU...Weber is travelling hundreds of students.

This is a Huge game

Hoyadestroya85
October 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
It has to be Villanova-JMU.. #1 and #2 in the sagarin ratings respectively, and the winner of this game SHOULD be #1... although if Villanova wins.. we'll probably be sent down in the rankings

Eight Legger
October 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
The JMU/Villanova game will be great, but I voted for Elon/Wofford, a matchup of two teams we have beaten in the past year (as opposed to the other matchup of two teams who beat us!)

All 4 of these teams are top-8 material any way you slice it.

AZGrizFan
October 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM

I think it's less a toss up between these games because no matter who loses these games, they're probably going to the playoffs. The loser of the NAU/Weber game in all likelihood is NOT going to the playoffs. xeyebrowx

OL FU
October 20th, 2008, 12:31 PM

I agree and I don't know if I can choose:o xbawlingx xlolx

Dukie95
October 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I went with Furman/ASU

The JMU/VU and Elon/Wofford games are HUGE, but all four of those teams are pretty much locked into the playoffs anyway, so on a national scale, they're not really shaking things up.

If Furman should beat ASU, however, then Furman becomes a player in the playoff picture. I've always thought of them as that 4th SoCon team out, but with a win against ASU, they're back in the picture.

putter
October 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think it's less a toss up between these games because no matter who loses these games, they're probably going to the playoffs. The loser of the NAU/Weber game in all likelihood is NOT going to the playoffs. xeyebrowx

That is exactly why I voted Weber/NAU. Both very good teams but because of Weber playing 2 FBS schools the loser could, unfairly, miss the playoffs despite the possibility of them running the table the rest of the way.

LBPop
October 20th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Voted for 'Nova vs. JMU because I am close to alums from both schools. Truth is that I am envious of every school listed among the choices, but I guess that is the burden that a Georgetown football fan must bear. :(

Silenoz
October 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM

I picked Elon/Wofford, but you could really go with either game

placidlakegriz
October 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM
By far Weber/NAU

App v Furman is a big game every year...this year is no different
Same can be said with the other games IMO

This year features two of the hottest teams in FCS who have clawed their way to respectability this year. I like the match up, i LOVE the implications. Homecoming for NAU...Weber is travelling hundreds of students.
This is a Huge game

That's more than they get for a home game?????

ASUG8
October 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Wofford/Elon because I know I'll vote ASU/Woffy on Halloween and ASU/Elon whatever week they play.

jaxstatealum
October 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Of course my heart is with the Cocks because we need to win in order to have a shot at the conf title, or an at large.

HOWEVER, my vote would go to Appy and Furman.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Wofford- Elon because they're the 2 of the three best offensive teams in the Socon.

Big Dawg
October 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
How is Hampton vs. SCSU not getting any love???

This game is HUGE

gbhmt
October 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Obviously games like JMU-Villanova and Wofford-Elon are between better matched teams, but Weber-NAU has got the most conference title implications. If they win out other than that game, it's essentially the conference championship game.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM
App-Furman, Wofford-Elon, JMU-Nova, Weber-NAU...I cannot chose. This is one great week for FCS football. I would, however, gone homer with UNI vs Youngstown if it was an option because I am curious as to how we will perform this week without the services of Pat Grace.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Obviously games like JMU-Villanova and Wofford-Elon are between better matched teams, but Weber-NAU has got the most conference title implications. If they win out other than that game, it's essentially the conference championship game.

As the JMU/Villa and Woffy/Elon game could both be title deciders too.....

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I voted for Weber@NAU. This game could cause a pretty good ripple effect in the playoffs, not just for the Big Sky, but the whole field. I think it will be a good game either way, but it's implications are pretty big in my mind.

DSUrocks07
October 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
If Hampton beats SCSU it all but eliminates us from playoff contention and gives Hampton the Conference title and autobid. If we beat Hampton and win out and Hampton wins out after Saturday the MEAC might get 2 teams in the playoffs. SCSU as MEAC champs and Hampton as an at large if they play us close and with a close loss at SIU. If we lose and win out we probably won't get an at large bid and neither will Del State if they win out an beat us leaving them with one MEAC loss. As far as conference play to get teams in the playoffs is concerened this is the biggest FCS game of the week.

How is Hampton vs. SCSU not getting any love???

This game is HUGE

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Huge indeed, I'm pulling for SCSU because if the Bulldogs win, then it leaves DSU with the opportunity to win the MEAC again. xwhistlex

Basically this game will decide the conference. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Hampton wins = its over

Hampton loses = ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZZFt5YV7uc

http://lexlibertas.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/i-divided-by-zero.jpg

The MEAC is WIDE open!!! xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
October 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Colgate at Bucknell? Game of the Week? xconfusedx

You must have been real desperate for a 10th game xlolx

No disrespect to the Bison, I expect a good one, and am concerned about travelling to Lewisburg, but this surprises me as a Game of the Week choice xtwocentsx

Cocky
October 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Central Conn and Colgate games are the only ones that wouldn't love to see. Even though both should be good games.

AppGrad06
October 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Terriers v. Fighting Christians by a hair over Mountaineers v. Christian Knights though both have very strong conference implications

(for any FCS newbies that's WC/ Elon)

blur2005
October 20th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Wow, how is JMU vs Villanova not number one, even by a little?