PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Week 9

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
There are four games this week. WIU has a bye week. Make your picks. It looks like a good week for the road teams to me.

NDSU @ Ill State
SIU @ Misery State
SDSU @ Indiana State
UNI @ Youngstown State

igo4uni
October 20th, 2008, 07:51 AM
looks good to me. My only question is NDSU at Illinois State.

leatherneck177
October 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM
NDSU @ Ill State - Bison big over Redbirds
SIU @ Missouri State - Salukis in a high scoring game
SDSU @ Indiana State - Jacks by 40+
UNI @ Youngstown State - Panthers by 21

DOME
October 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I'm looking for upsets from Ill St. and the trees....
I'm serious about one of those but which one.... :)

Khan4Cats
October 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I am generally inclined to go with the road teams this week.

Would love to see the Bears hold home-field, maybe TA will have them playing with some confidence.

Could also see NDSU struggling at Illinois State, season is virtually over for them and not sure what kind of mindset they will carry as a team, just not all that confident in the Redbirds.

rcny46
October 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Indiana State?

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I am really looking for a great home performance outta the Bears this week!

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

Sturgisjeff
October 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Can SDSU hold the trees scoreless?

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Can SDSU hold the trees scoreless?
Stay tuned.
xcoffeex

MSUBear42
October 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
I am really looking for a great home performance outta the Bears this week!

I'm cautiously optimistic.... incredibly cautious. I'm more excited for this game than pretty much any MSU game since the playoffs.

crunifan
October 22nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic.... incredibly cautious. I'm more excited for this game than pretty much any MSU game since the playoffs.

Believe me, Bears fans. UNI fans are hoping and praying you guys pull the upset. Based on UNI and SIU's unspoken home field agreement, we need your help to dethrone the Salukis.

nmatsen
October 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Has a week every gone by in the Gateway/MVC where the home team has not won a game?

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Has a week every gone by in the Gateway/MVC where the home team has not won a game?
Surely at some time it has happened. Pardon me for being too lazy to do the research right now. It might be a good job for someone with more time on their hands. Searching through a quarter century of records is just too much of a chore. I would imagine it would be a rare occurence. There was a poster, I think on the Bisonville forum, who calculated the percentage of home wins in the Gateway, both overall and in conference.

SO ILLmatic
October 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
all the road teams get victories this weekend

siuham
October 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Believe me, Bears fans. UNI fans are hoping and praying you guys pull the upset. Based on UNI and SIU's unspoken home field agreement, we need your help to dethrone the Salukis.

xlolx

That made me chuckle.

I am very afraid of this game with MSU. SIU can't afford the slip-up, because if we do happen to lose, any other loss the rest of the way would ensure no playoff trip.

BisonCM
October 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
all road teams should win...hopefully Mertens can keep it under 4 pics the Bison should have a chance

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
xlolx

That made me chuckle.

I am very afraid of this game with MSU. SIU can't afford the slip-up, because if we do happen to lose, any other loss the rest of the way would ensure no playoff trip.
If the Dawgs D continues to play like it has the last couple of weeks, I don't think you have much to worry about. I think they are finally getting the hang of that 3-4 Lennon installed. It looked nasty against Youngstown.

Cap'n Cat
October 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
My picks.

NDSU @ Ill State
SIU @ Misery State
SDSU @ Indiana State
UNI @ Youngstown State

stevdock
October 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm picking all road teams to win. I'm hoping for once I'm right.

UNIFanSince1983
October 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
NDSU @ Ill State -- Don't know what to expect from either so I can't pick this one
SIU @ Misery State
SDSU @ Indiana State
UNI @ Youngstown State

I am cheering for TA and his Bears, but I am just not sure if they can pull it off even at home.

RabidRabbit
October 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM

Among the preseason AGS top 25, only WIU & SIU have won at one of the other preseason top 25 (NDSU).

So, the selection of the road team winning every game this week looks outrageous. However, the only PS top 25 match-up is the reeling Penguins hosting UNI.

ysubigred
October 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
If the Dawgs D continues to play like it has the last couple of weeks, I don't think you have much to worry about. I think they are finally getting the hang of that 3-4 Lennon installed. It looked nasty against Youngstown.

LOL!! Don't pat yourselves on the back to hard. This has to be the worst YSU team in 20 years xpeacex

YSU beats UNI by 2 xbawlingx

nmatsen
October 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
I have never been more nervous before a YSU game in my life. We have beaten them with the best since joining the gateway. Will we be able to beat their worst?

stuperman17
October 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Yes, cause its bad. Two more starters missing this game. Our freshman qb who started last week is probably out. Down to the #5 qb, and he's a true freshman. Injuries have been rediculous. Ferlando williams has been in the hospital since saturday with a staff infection.

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Yes, cause its bad. Two more starters missing this game. Our freshman qb who started last week is probably out. Down to the #5 qb, and he's a true freshman. Injuries have been rediculous. Ferlando williams has been in the hospital since saturday with a staff infection.

He infected his "staff"? Ouch.
Perhaps he should be more careful where he puts it.

I'm sure the Cap'n can relate. :p

UNI Pike
October 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Speaking of Capt'n Cat, he can probably slow down with the YSU voodoo dolls he has been working over all season. At this point, it is probably sucking up all the Cat's time making a new YSU QB doll each week.

stuperman17
October 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
sorry, i was in a hurry and i've never actually thought about how staph infection is spelled.

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
sorry, i was in a hurry and i've never actually thought about how staph infection is spelled.

don't mind me. I'm just a smartarse ;op

jackmd
October 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
NDSU @ Ill State
SIU @ Misery State
SDSU @ Indiana State
UNI @ Youngstown State

The Jacks are way down on the O and D-line but that shouldn't be enough to blow a road game against a horrible program.

I think the NDSU/Ill St. game is a pick'em. NDSU would be favored by 7+ at home but on the road they are going to need a very sharp performance.

UNI and SIU will find a way to win games that they should, even on the road.

Houndawg
October 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Among the preseason AGS top 25, only WIU & SIU have won at one of the other preseason top 25 (NDSU).

So, the selection of the road team winning every game this week looks outrageous. However, the only PS top 25 match-up is the reeling Penguins hosting UNI.

SIU didn't win at NDSU, although they should have.

I saw MSU as a trap game before the season, figuring we'd be drained from playing a ranked YSU at their place. Today, not so much.

RabidRabbit
October 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
SIU didn't win at NDSU, although they should have.

I saw MSU as a trap game before the season, figuring we'd be drained from playing a ranked YSU at their place. Today, not so much.

SIU's win over a top 25 (preseason) was at YSU last week. Within the now one loss teams (in conference), IIRC, no one has a Road win vs their co-one loss conference leaders.

The team that breaks through and wins on the road vs these top four (UNI, WIU, SIU, SDSU) will most likely be the autobid winner.

nmatsen
October 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Jesus Christ! Doesn't anyone know how to clean a weightroom in Ohio?

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Jesus Christ! Doesn't anyone know how to clean a weightroom in Ohio?

I'm afraid to ask.
xeyebrowx

Chi Panther
October 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Too bad for Ferlando...very good athlete.

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Finals from the Valley:

SDSU 49 Indiana State 9
NDSU 25 Ill State 7
SIU 23 Misery State 17
UNI 21 YSU 20

All the road teams win. I got them all right for a change.
:D

BearsCountry
October 25th, 2008, 09:04 PM
All the road teams win. I got them all right for a change.
:D

You squeaked by one of them.

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Two.
Do you mean the Saluki victory on the last play of regulation or the UNI win on a blocked XP?
( I think I know the answer.)

Houndawg
October 26th, 2008, 06:37 AM

A young team with a new coach and system definetly had a better-lucky-than-good moment today.

Chi Panther
October 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Two.
Do you mean the Saluki victory on the last play of regulation or the UNI win on a blocked XP?
( I think I know the answer.)

Its amazing how 3 BIG plays can almost beat ya. YSU had pulled out all the tricks, including starting the game with an onside kick and getting it....xrotatehx

JayJ79
October 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM
On an aside about the UNI/YSU game....

In the stats, they have UNI listed as having lost a fumble.
But I don't remember UNI fumbling at all.

Unless it was the onside kick. If a kicking team recovers an onside, is it automatically a fumble? Or did a UNI player actually have posession of the ball at some point and THEN fumble it? (I was listening on the radio, and couldn't tell how the play actually went)

skinny_uncle
October 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Its amazing how 3 BIG plays can almost beat ya. YSU had pulled out all the tricks, including starting the game with an onside kick and getting it....xrotatehx
The shape the Penguins are in, their coach just had to pull some rabbits out of the hat to compete.

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2008, 09:50 PM
The shape the Penguins are in, their coach just had to pull some rabbits out of the hat to compete.

Ya, pulling Penguins out doesn't quite make it. xlolx xlolx xlolx :p :p