PDA

View Full Version : Terell Owens

ASU Kep
November 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Terrific football player, terrible human being. I've always wondered whether T.O. ever took any time out of his busy schedule to come back/help UTC...any Moc fans help me out?
Looks like T.O. won't ever be playing for the Eagles again, though I have full confidence another team will pick him up, only to regret it later. I just hope it's not my Falcons. Does anybody still like this guy?

pantherclaw
November 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I'm glad the eagles are benching him, its says, we don't care how good you are on the field, if you can't behave off it, you're not going to play.

colgate13
November 7th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I would love it if they benched him, never played him, and never traded him. Just paid his salary and he sat there until his contract ran out. Sucks to pay the money, but I think after a while Terrell would miss the spotlight so bad he'd buy himself out!

Stang Fever
November 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM
T.O is a great football Player...Terrible team player.......He will just be rented out year in and year out for the rest of his career...the most he ever gets is a two or three year deal

bison95
November 7th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I've got two words for ya, Jackass!

atlGAmocs
November 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I have never heard of TO coming back or giving back to Chattanooga. A few years ago when UTC inducted him into our HOF he sent a video message instead of coming. He said it was due to teammates wedding in SF. He is a great player but a terrible team player. I won't attack him as a person but i certainly won't defend him either.

ASU Kep
November 7th, 2005, 02:30 PM
No $ donations?

bandl
November 7th, 2005, 03:14 PM
No $ donations?

No, he's got a family to feed!! He can't afford donations!! :rolleyes:

chattanoogamocs
November 7th, 2005, 04:00 PM
ASU Kep, do you know Terrell personally? I ask since you called him a terrible person. I can't argue that he has been a terrible team player as of late, but a terrible person??? A child abuser or a murderer is a "terrible person"...not a loud mouth football player.

T.O. ...he grew up a poor, country, backwoods black kid in Alabama. He had no father around. He had a learning disability early, was made fun of when he was younger, making him very insecure. As basically a still insecure adult, he thinks everything is a personal swipe at him, he is paranoid...he has surrounded himself with a vulture of an agent, that I believe is constantly chirping in his ear to make him more paranoid, insecure, etc, etc....because the bigger the chip on his shoulder, the better he plays (and the more money Drew makes)

(I made this same argument last year and compared him to Lance Armstrong...same background growing up, same chip on his shoulder no matter how much money or fame he has)

Notice I said T.O. ...now Terrell, the backwoods kid from Alabama, who barely started on his High School team as a junior and worked has ass off to improve, is a God fearing, polite, quiet, "yes sir, no sir", shy kid...off the football field and away from the cameras, this is much more what Owens is like, even today.

I am not going to come on here and say that I am big buddies with Terrell, but I was in school at the same time, was an athlete at the school at the same time, and had classes with him...I always found him to be a very nice person...that football field/media guy is nothing like the Terrell I know.

All his friends and coaches say the same thing...former men's basketball coach Mack McCarthy (Terrell went to the NCAA tournament with the Mocs in basketball) always says to this day..."that T.O. guy is not what Terrell is really like".

I hate that he is like that in public, I too sometimes say to myself..."Terrell, shut the hell up". He has no family left to influence him (his grandmother raised him)...his grandma knew how to keep him humble. That being said, he is an easy target for reporters...they are smart, they know which buttons to push to "get the T.O. they want".

Outside of his football persona, he gives a lot of money to charity...he does it because he wants to, not because Drew Rosenhaus tells him too (Drew probably wouldn't give a dime). I wish he would do more with UC (he used to), but the school has done a poor job of working with the football alums for a while...Terrell is not an isolated incident.

I am not going to get on you guys much because it is hard to defend his public persona (actually, you can't defend it)...I only comment because what you see (in public) is not always what you get.

chattanoogamocs
November 7th, 2005, 04:04 PM
...and he has been back in the past...mainly during basketball season...and when he does, he usually does so with zero fanfare (though once people recognize him, he will sit and sign autogrpahs until everyone that wants one, has one).

The athletic department needs to reach out to Terrell...without their hand out...let them know they "love him" whether he gives money or not...I think, he thinks, all Chattanooga really wants from him is a check...that goes back to the insecure/paranoid aspect.

ASU Kep
November 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
OK, I agree that I probably misspoke calling him a "terrible person" but you couldn't ever make me take back my opinion that he's one of the worst team-players in the history of the NFL. Can you imagine T.O.'s attitude in the 70s or 80s? Anyway, I thought your semi-personal Terrell stories were interesting but not really enough to make me forget about the arrogant asshole T.O. that takes up like 10 minutes every damn day of MY sportscenter bitching about one thing or another, one teammate or another, this organization, that organization, or just why in general the world is screwing him. IMHO, the Eagles' will be better without him. That teams belongs to Donovan Mcnabb, a man with infinitely more class than T.O. I remember a newspaper story that ran in Atlanta a few years back right after the infamous sharpie celebration. An inner-city team (cant remember who) had just lost it's last game of the season, bringing their losing streak to something like 30 games. What was special about their performance was they were playing a really good team in that final game and fought their hearts out until the final whistle, barely losing. Comparing that team to T.O., the author stated that in his book that team was composed of winners, though they hadn't won a game in years. T.O. on the other hand was a loser because despite his obvious and hard-earned physical skills he rips teams apart instead of elevates them. T.O.'s a LOSER in my book as well.

chattanoogamocs
November 7th, 2005, 05:49 PM
A couple of thoughts

If you don't like seeing TO on Sportscenter, contact the network and share some of the blame with them...they don't seem to have any problem "feeding the media monster". Maybe if ESPN, etal, wouldn't gleefully promo these rants (not just TO), their might be less of them.

I completely agree though, he is acting like an ass.

...and I agree with you about the 70's-80's, but half the players in the NFL would get their ass-kicked for their attitudes, not just TO...this is the 21st century and there is a lot more than TO out there that has caused a "me first society"...TO is just the latest (and the most talented).

I think TO's biggest problem is he needs a father figure, someone he really respects, to kick him in the ass....the reason he almost never had problems at San Fran is because Jerry Rice was his idol, his mentor, and a father figure...anyone notice that once Rice left, TO got worse, and worse, and worse? Where his old agent used to keep it in check...good ole Drew seems to inflame it (that guy is Satan by the way, LOL)

I told you about his childhood not for you to feel sorry for him, I just stated it to let people know "they are who they are" and it usually comes from their upbringing. I like Terrell overall, even with the ego, because I see/know the whole person, not just the loud mouth on Sportscenter (when I see that stuff, I just shake my head and turn the channel)

...hey, at least he is not involved in drive by shootings at night clubs or hiring people to kill an unborn child (I don't really need to go through the whole list do I?).

ASU Kep
November 7th, 2005, 08:21 PM
A couple of thoughts

If you don't like seeing TO on Sportscenter, contact the network and share some of the blame with them...they don't seem to have any problem "feeding the media monster". Maybe if ESPN, etal, wouldn't gleefully promo these rants (not just TO), their might be less of them.

I completely agree though, he is acting like an ass.

...and I agree with you about the 70's-80's, but half the players in the NFL would get their ass-kicked for their attitudes, not just TO...this is the 21st century and there is a lot more than TO out there that has caused a "me first society"...TO is just the latest (and the most talented).

I think TO's biggest problem is he needs a father figure, someone he really respects, to kick him in the ass....the reason he almost never had problems at San Fran is because Jerry Rice was his idol, his mentor, and a father figure...anyone notice that once Rice left, TO got worse, and worse, and worse? Where his old agent used to keep it in check...good ole Drew seems to inflame it (that guy is Satan by the way, LOL)

I told you about his childhood not for you to feel sorry for him, I just stated it to let people know "they are who they are" and it usually comes from their upbringing. I like Terrell overall, even with the ego, because I see/know the whole person, not just the loud mouth on Sportscenter (when I see that stuff, I just shake my head and turn the channel)

...hey, at least he is not involved in drive by shootings at night clubs or hiring people to kill an unborn child (I don't really need to go through the whole list do I?).

No, no you certainly do not. :rolleyes: . Doesn't make TO any better of a player though. I dunno, I sort of look at TO as the shining example of absolutely everything that is wrong with sports these days (well, except steroids I suppose...and George Steinbrenner :mad: ). I remember when Randy Moss was the out-of-control WR. Don't hear much outta him anymore, TO has just stolen all his limelight. It's sort of messed up though, you really don't hear about people anymore unless they engage in a shameless PR campaign for themselves. Just random thoughts I suppose. Good luck with that long-term contract, Owens.

ASU Kep
November 7th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Thats a great point about Jerry Rice, though. I hadn't thought of that. You also have to remember too however that T.O.'s first few seasons in the NFL wern't all that great, in addition to playing on the same field as an NFL God like Rice.

DemiGS
November 22nd, 2005, 04:22 AM
Terrific football player, terrible human being. I've always wondered whether T.O. ever took any time out of his busy schedule to come back/help UTC...any Moc fans help me out?
Looks like T.O. won't ever be playing for the Eagles again, though I have full confidence another team will pick him up, only to regret it later. I just hope it's not my Falcons. Does anybody still like this guy?

Ok...First of all, I'm not sure you're allowed to be a falcons fan AND an ASU fan!

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2005, 04:56 AM
i hate the guy, but damn i had him on my fantasy team, its just killing me, but oh well im 10-1 so i aint missing him too much heck with LT and Gates i get loads of points :-D

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 08:09 AM
i hate the guy, but damn i had him on my fantasy team, its just killing me, but oh well im 10-1 so i aint missing him too much heck with LT and Gates i get loads of points :-D

you had LT, Gates and TO? What is that, a 2 team league???

MarkCCU
November 22nd, 2005, 08:45 AM
OK, I agree that I probably misspoke calling him a "terrible person" but you couldn't ever make me take back my opinion that he's one of the worst team-players in the history of the NFL. T.O.'s a LOSER in my book as well.
I agree. He comes off as a terrible team player. But apparently, he hasn't always been this way. I a few days ago while listening to ESPN w/ Dan Patrick when an old teammate of T.O.'s calls up and says that this is a complete opposite of the the T.O. he knew in college. The man has talent, but his attitude towards his team leaves something to be desired.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
you had LT, Gates and TO? What is that, a 2 team league???

nope 12 teams i picked third i think took LT, gates was threatening to not play so peoople passed him same with TO i got lucky lol of course i ended up with Oaklands QB so i paid a small prioce there

but hell 10-1 so it couldnt have been that bad of choices lol

Tilldog40
November 23rd, 2005, 08:47 AM
Don't defend T.O. and the way he acts because he had a messed up childhood. I didn't have the best childhood of all times either. He's a selfish piece of Sh%t. If you feel sorry for the guy than you got problems. :deadhorse

LacesOut
November 23rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Don't defend T.O. and the way he acts because he had a messed up childhood. I didn't have the best childhood of all times either. He's a selfish piece of Sh%t. If you feel sorry for the guy than you got problems. :deadhorse

Agreed. But he is who he is, regardless if he became an ass as a child, a HS kid, a college player or a NFL player.

No one should feel sorry for a multimillionaire. Especially Rev Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Coalition.

blackfordpu
November 23rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
I can't believe he pulled the "They are keeping me from making a living and providing for my family" statement out of his a$$. If his family can't live on what he has already earned then they have problems and need to go to counsling.

user101
December 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM
T.O. needs to just quit whining and move on, Keyshawn Johnson cleaned up his act, why cant T.O?

Kill'em
December 7th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Anyone who chews out his teammates and his coaches on the sideline wouldn't be welcome on my team, no matter how much money he gives to charity. I will say that Drew Rosenhaus is what is wrong with professional sports. I believe someone called him "Satan?"

AppStateSVX
December 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Ok...First of all, I'm not sure you're allowed to be a falcons fan AND an ASU fan!

why's that?

grizband
December 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I can't believe he pulled the "They are keeping me from making a living and providing for my family" statement out of his a$$. If his family can't live on what he has already earned then they have problems and need to go to counsling.
Someone on ESPN radio was talking on this comment during the summer. It basically boiled down to that TO hardly spends any time with his family anyways, so this was just a play to win the hearts of the fans. However, when you make nearly $10 million in one year (more than most people will see their entire lifetimes) you are going to have a hard time convincing people you are destitute.