PDA

View Full Version : Who is the top QB in the FCS?

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Thought with the WR thread we could put a QB thread up and see who everyone thinks is the top QB. Please discuss why you went with who you did, if you want. Those on the Payton list were named and I wanted to make sure that the SWAC's top offensive player was put on here as well so I added Bryant.

Here are stats to help everyone decide.

QB COLE BERGQUIST, MONTANA, SR.
Stats- 110 comp, 170 att, 1686 yards, 17 TDs, 4 INT, 64.7%, 176.31 pass eff., 240.9 yards per game, 52 carries, 114 yards, 1.5avg, 3 TDs in 7 games.

QB RHETT BOMAR, SAM HOUSTON STATE, SR.
Stats- 109 comp, 183 att, 1476 yards, 15 TDs, 5 INT, 59.6%, 148.90 pass eff., 295.3 yards per game, 39 carries, 107 yards, 2.7avg, 3 TDs in 5 games.

QB NATHAN BROWN, CENTRAL ARKANSAS, SR.
Stats- 149 comp, 206 attempts, 1890 yards, 18 TDs, 1 INT, 72.3%, 178.86 pass eff., 270.0 yards per game, 41 carries, 64 yards, 1.6avg in 7 games.

QB LIAM COEN, UMASS, SR.
Stats- 130 comp, 207 att, 1629 yards, 11 TDs, 6 INT, 140.65 pass eff., 62.8%, 232.7 yards per game, 24 carries, -7 yards, -0.3avg, 2 TDs in 7 games.

QB ARMANTI EDWARDS, APPALACHIAN STATE, JR.
Stats- 87 comp, 150 att, 1270, 13 TDs, 2 INT, 58.0%, 155.1 pass eff., 181.4 yards per game, 115 carries, 545 yards, 4.7avg, 5 TDs in 7 games.

QB CAMERON HIGGINS, WEBER STATE, SOPH.
Stats- 181 comp, 264 att, 2551 yards, 25 TDs, 6 INT, 176.43 pass eff., 68.6%, 318.9 yards per game, 29 carries, -66 yards, -1.5avg, 1 TD in 8 games.

QB RODNEY LANDERS, JAMES MADISON, SR.
Stats- 52 comp, 83 att, 692 yards, 8 TDs, 3 INT, 157.26 pass eff., 62.7%, 98.9 yards per game, 121 carries, 797 yards, 8 TDs, 6.6avg in 7 games.

QB BRYANT LEE, SOUTHERN, JR.
Stats- 152 comp, 240 att, 1939 yards, 16 TDs, 3 INT, 150.7 pass eff., 63.3%, 277.0 yards per game, 102 carries, 370 yards, 3.6avg, 6 TDs in 7 games.

RB DOMINIC RANDOLPH, HOLY CROSS, SR.
Stats- 195 comp, 297 att, 1965 yards, 16 TDs, 8 INT, 133.62 pass eff., 66.7%, 37 carries, 35 yards, 0.9avg, 4 TDs in 6 games.

QB SCOTT RIDDLE, ELON, SOPH.
Stats- 169 comp, 274 att, 1998 yards, 18 TDs, 10 INT, 61.7%, 137.3 pass eff., 249.8 yards per game, 49 carries, -12 yards, -1.3 yards per carry in 8 games.

Syntax Error
October 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Where's the Dally option? Oh yeah, he is on the West Coast and has thrown an interception (one) this year. Oh yeah also leads the FCS in Passing Efficiency.

Stats- 56 comp, 89 att, 986 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT, 187.1 pass eff., 62.9%, 197.2 yards per game, 67 carries, 302 yards, 4.5avg, 5 TDs in 5 games.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
or Ben Widmyer who hasn't thrown any ints, leads the Socon in avg. rush and pass eff.

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Where's the Dally option? Oh yeah, he is on the West Coast and has thrown an interception (one) this year.

I wanted to include him but who should be taken off? There are only 10 options. I wanted to include him, Widmyer, Ward, and a couple others but had to make some tough decisions in cutting names.

Also, apologies to Holy Cross people. I forgot Randolph's school when typing because I was flying through it. Sorry about that! Did not mean to slight HC fans!

Big Dawg
October 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I saw Bryant Lee play in person last night and he is a GREAT QB

He and Armanti Edwards are the only other FCS QB's I've seen play outside of Rhett Bomar when he was at Oklahoma.

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:28 PM
or Ben Widmyer who hasn't thrown any ints, leads the Socon in avg. rush and pass eff.

I think when selecting the top QB you have to consider the career as well and there is no way Widmyer has had a top 10 career so far. He is only the 4th best QB in the SoCon but still would have been a good player to put on the list because he has been hot this year. He looked very good against Chattanooga this year.

UNHWildCats
October 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Always best to make #10 Other

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I think when selecting the top QB you have to consider the career as well and there is no way Widmyer has had a top 10 career so far. He is only the 4th best QB in the SoCon but still would have been a good player to put on the list because he has been hot this year. He looked very good against Chattanooga this year.

You know Jayson Foster wasn't a QB for his entire career and wasn't hardly noticed until he was a senior so with that logic how did he win the Payton? I shall say no more.

Syntax Error
October 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
You know Jayson Foster wasn't a QB for his entire career and wasn't hardly noticed until he was a senior so with that logic how did he win the Payton? I shall say no more.and Dally was a top QB last year and his stats are better than others listed in this poll.

Retro
October 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
If you don't have Derrick Fourroux in this discussion, your crediblity is no good especially after he and his team shut down mighty Bomar this week!

QB DERRICK FOURROUX, McNEESE, Jr.
Stats - 96 Comp, 149 Att, 1232 Yds, 12 TD's, 3 Int's, 64.43 Comp %, 156.4 Pass Eff., 244.7 Yds Per game..
Rushing - 57 Att, 236 Yds, 5 TD's in 6 games.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
You know Jayson Foster wasn't a QB for his entire career and wasn't hardly noticed until he was a senior so with that logic how did he win the Payton? I shall say no more.

His numbers were out of this world better than everyone else. While I see your point I just decided when cutting down from 15 to 10 to list guys with good careers so far. If there were 15 options I would have included them and some others. I think both are very good QBs and was not slighting them.

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
and Dally was a top QB last year and his stats are better than others listed in this poll.

Who would you substitute for Dally? If someone is going to say one guy should be on there, who should he take the place of?

I love these debates. Always good to hear about other QBs. xthumbsupx

By the way, you did not vote yet. I know you see a lot of games so I would like to here who you think is the top QB.

Before anyone asks me why I voted for Edwards, here are my reasons.

1. He has been talked about for the Heisman (which no other QB in FCS has)
2. he has forced many teams to change defenses just to defend against him and the spread. Also, another good argument for AE is that leading Buck Buchanan Award Candidate Greg Peach recently stated in an interview that Edwards was the best player he has faced, including Higgins and many others on this list, and that EWU focused on getting faster solely on that game.

While on numbers I think Higgins should win the Payton, I feel Edwards has done so much for the FCS that he should get this honor. It says a lot when the nation's leading sack master was definitive in claiming Edwards as the top player, however, you can make very good arguments for all of the players listed, including guys like Dally and Widmyer to be mentioned with the top of the FCS.

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM
If you don't have Derrick Fourroux in this discussion, your crediblity is no good especially after he and his team shut down mighty Bomar this week!

Stats - 96 Comp, 149 Att, 1232 Yds, 12 TD's, 3 Int's, 64.43 Comp %, 156.4 Pass Eff., 244.7 Yds Per game..

I also made sure those who were on the Payton list were on it and those who were on highly rated teams, if they had comparable numbers.

Would you say Fourroux should be on the Payton list? Mr. C. does that so he would be a good person to ask because he, like myself, would go with Bomar over Fourroux at this point.

Syntax Error
October 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Who would you substitute for Dally? If someone is going to say one guy should be on there, who should he take the place of? I love these debates. Always good to hear about other QBs. xthumbsupxIf you are going off stats just measure it up. No way Dally should be left out of the top 10 QBs.

Saint3333
October 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
AE has 7 rushing TDs.

SeattleGriz
October 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Quick question.

Are you looking for a QB that is most likely to get drafted as a QB, or one that produces for his team.

The reason I ask, is because it is pretty obvious Armanti Edwards is great at running the spread, but he won't be drafted as a QB.

GATA
October 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
What sucks about looking at Walter Payton candidates and Top QB, top RB, etc...is that FCS doesn't get the media coverage of FBS.

I wish I could see some highlights of all the Walter Payton candidates. I know KLAK has made some really great highlight videos on You Tube of Jayson Foster so everybody could really see him play.

I'm sure that Armanti Edwards has a bunch of highlights as well, but he's been getting airtime due to the big win at Michigan.

Maybe we should try to compile as many highlights of all these Payton award candidates so that everybody can really see how they play and make a judgment that way.

DSUrocks07
October 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Anthony Glaud would be on this list...except that our coach likes to play favorites...xnonono2x

GATA
October 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Quick question.

Are you looking for a QB that is most likely to get drafted as a QB, or one that produces for his team.

The reason I ask, is because it is pretty obvious Armanti Edwards is great at running the spread, but he won't be drafted as a QB.

Rhett Bomar is probably most likely to get drafted.

If Armanti Edwards doesn't play QB where would he play? I guess he'd have to learn to catch.

McNeese72
October 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Would you say Fourroux should be on the Payton list? Mr. C. does that so he would be a good person to ask because he, like myself, would go with Bomar over Fourroux at this point.

I won't say Fourroux is the top QB in the FCS, but after seeing Bomar against McNeese live twice, Bomar definitely "ain't" it. He even did a "Nagle flop" when he turned around and saw a CB blitzing him. And, if you don't know what a "Nagle flop" is, just ask any McNeese fan. They probably can explain it to you.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/sam08g20sack11.jpg

Of course, after you have been nailed like this a few times, you might develope the "flop" tendency.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/sam08g44nailed.jpg

Doc

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Quick question.

The one who produces the most. When naming a list of finalists for an award at this level I think some players have to get the nod in a tiebreaker to be on the list if they are major NFL prospects, however, the winner of the award should be the one who produces the most.

And to comment on the Edwards drafted thing. I would be willing to say he will not be drafted at all. He is too light at 184 pounds for the NFL and will have to show he can keep his speed and bulk up to 200 plus range at the same time.

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I won't say Fourroux is the top QB in the FCS, but after seeing Bomar against McNeese live twice, Bomar definitely "ain't" it. He even did a "Nagle flop" when he turned around and saw a CB blitzing him. And, if you don't know what a "Nagle flop" is, just ask any McNeese fan. They probably can explain it to you.

Doc

I saw the game and I agree with you based on that one game. Now, that was also not one of Bomar's best games. Like someone stated earlier, we don't always see every player and many times we only see them once, so if we see their worst game we think the hype was just hype. I like to see a player 3-5 times before I even start saying how good he is. Now in one game you can see arm strength, speed, athletic ability, etc. but you don't see the full package until you have seen several games.

Retro
October 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I also made sure those who were on the Payton list were on it and those who were on highly rated teams, if they had comparable numbers.

YES, He should.. Bomar is putting up some big numbers, but he has to because he is all that SHS has.. He's throwing a lot more so his numbers look better if you just look at the total yds and offense..

Derrick doesn't have the total yards because Mcneese can run the ball and play defense, so he has less.. In this case you have to look closer at how efficient he is and in that respect his he is near the top in those categories... Plus during each team's weakest opponent Derrick played a lot less than bomar... Plus Mcneese has a better record now...

Not saying Bomar isn't a good QB, but Derrick is just as good and can run a lot better..

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM
YES, He should.. Bomar is putting up some big numbers, but he has to because he is all that SHS has.. He's throwing a lot more so his numbers look better if you just look at the total yds and offense..

Derrick doesn't have the total yards because Mcneese can run the ball and play defense, so he has less.. In this case you have to look closer at how efficient he is and in that respect his he is near the top in those categories... Plus during each team's weakest opponent Derrick played a lot less than bomar... Plus Mcneese has a better record now...

Not saying Bomar isn't a good QB, but Derrick is just as good and can run a lot better..

You have very good points and ones that should be brought up. As stated before, I did make sure that all players on the Payton list were mentioned so I had to list Bomar.

Retro
October 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I saw the game and I agree with you based on that one game. Now, that was also not one of Bomar's best games. Like someone stated earlier, we don't always see every player and many times we only see them once, so if we see their worst game we think the hype was just hype. I like to see a player 3-5 times before I even start saying how good he is. Now in one game you can see arm strength, speed, athletic ability, etc. but you don't see the full package until you have seen several games.

Well, If bomar play well againest a quality team, then he's not much of a QB in any respect.. Any QB can pad his numbers againest a real weak defense or lower division teams and Mcneese's defense isn't the best as in years past...

I get tired of hearing how great certain QB's are except when they play quality teams.. Just like Bruce Eugene.. He had big numbers, but when he played teams like Mcneese, his stats were avg at best and he threw the ball 60 times!xnonox

Retro
October 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I will say this, Bomar has the better physical tools as far size and all and fits the prototype if you compare them to others that went on to the pro's, but some qb's are just great players no matter the actual size, speed or polished look.. Ty Detmer was that kind of player!

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Well, If bomar play well againest a quality team, then he's not much of a QB in any respect.. Any QB can pad his numbers againest a real weak defense or lower division teams and Mcneese's defense isn't the best as in years past...

I get tired of hearing how great certain QB's are except when they play quality teams.. Just like Bruce Eugense.. He had big numbers, but when he played teams like Mcneese, his stats were avg at best and he threw the ball 60 times!xnonox

You are very right. Is Bomar on the Payton list and my list purely because of NFL Draft hype? Maybe? Is he a good player? Definitely! It this great discussion? YES!

You have good points and are right on many things. I saw Eugene and never thought he was that good anyway. He never had a chance at the NFL and I laughed when I saw these so-called draft experts rank him as a top 10 QB or even have him as a possible draft pick. He had the game for the CFL level, not NFL.

mtgrizfan4life
October 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Right now I would say that Edwards is the best athlete and brings an element very few can bring to the position. I have not seen any qbs play this year not from Montana or an opponent. This really is not a fair poll, people are going to vote based on who they are familar with which is Edwards and any QB in your team's conference. I am voting for Higgins though. No offense to Cole, but if Montana were to lose Cole, the offense and team continue to do what they do. Selle is more than capable, but would do it in a different fashion Cole. Selle would spread the ball around alot more, yet would not be able to make plays with his legs.

However, if Higgins were to go down, Weber State would take a drastic dropoff for results. That is the only factor for me giving Higgins my vote here.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
In terms of pure passing ability, Jordan Sorrells' numbers at Furman are arguably better than Riddle or Edwards.

BEAR
October 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Stats- 149 comp, 206 attempts, 1890 yards, 18 TDs, 1 INT, 72.3%, 178.86 pass eff., 270.0 yards per game, 41 carries, 64 yards, 1.6avg in 7 games.

xbandwagonx

Gotta go with Nathan. He played superbly against Tulsa. Our defense didn't. But then again Tulsa averaged 50+pts against all their opponents. Nathan and crew scored 34 with no INTs. That's playing well against tough competition. The last game against Texas State he handed the ball off 49 times! So, you say, well imagine his stats had he actually thrown the thing that game instead of going just 18 for 22? He's a qb by every definition and anyone who has seen him play would agree that he will be drafted by someone. He will eclipse 10,000 yards and 100 passing TDs for his career by year's end. Nearly 73% completion rate and his on-field command is beyond mature. Off the field he works constantly to make his teammates better. You have to witness this kid to see how good he really is. Just my 2 cents. But any of the above listed QBs are worthy of an award. xthumbsupx

Cocky
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Ryan Perrilloux would start in front of most of the selections.

McNeese72
October 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
You have very good points and ones that should be brought up. As stated before, I did make sure that all players on the Payton list were mentioned so I had to list Bomar.

Did you look at the Qb Efficiency stats on the NCAA website before putting together the poll?

Doc

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Did you look at the Qb Efficiency stats on the NCAA website before putting together the poll?

Doc

I looked at the Payton list and then stats. A couple people are saying that someone else should be on the list but who should be taken off? Who do you think does not deserve to be on the list?

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Ryan Perrilloux would start in front of most of the selections.

Who would you take off for sure? I thought about RP but was not sure who should be substituted for him.

Syntax Error
October 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Who would you take off for sure? I thought about RP but was not sure who should be substituted for him.Championship Subdivision (FCS) National Player Report
Passing Efficiency

Year: 2008 Thru: 10/18/08 Minimum Pct. of Games Played 75
Minimum 15 pass attempts per game

Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp Comppct Int Intpct Pyds Ydspatt TDs TDpct Rating
1 Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly QB SR 5 89 56 62.92 1 1.12 986 11.08 9 10.11 187.1
2 Cole Bergquist, Montana QB SR 7 169 109 64.50 4 2.37 1677 9.92 17 10.06 176.3
3 Cameron Higgins, Weber St. QB SO 8 263 180 68.44 6 2.28 2534 9.63 25 9.51 176.2
4 Sebastian Trujillo, San Diego QB JR 6 173 120 69.36 6 3.47 1524 8.81 19 10.98 172.7
5 Marcello Trigg, Bucknell QB JR 6 121 86 71.07 2 1.65 1112 9.19 10 8.26 172.2
6 R.J. Toman, New Hampshire QB SO 6 185 131 70.81 6 3.24 1492 8.06 15 8.11 158.8
7 Brock Smith, Liberty QB SR 7 159 106 66.67 5 3.14 1412 8.88 11 6.92 157.8
8 Matt Kobli, Butler QB SO 6 186 131 70.43 3 1.61 1350 7.26 16 8.60 156.6
9 Derrick Fourroux, McNeese St. QB JR 6 149 96 64.43 3 2.01 1232 8.27 12 8.05 156.4
10 Cade Thompson, Tenn.-Martin QB JR 8 175 102 58.29 7 4.00 1561 8.92 16 9.14 155.4

stevdock
October 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
You mean Nick Mertens isn't on the list?? Sorry not really sure how to comprehend what we are seeing right now:)

My vote would be for Dally out of Poly, at least so far. But we all know that QB from out East turns into a totally different monster when the post-season comes around. Can't believe he is still a Junior.

At Bisonville the last week or so AE's name has come up saying he could run for 300 yards against us if he was the only one of the field.

Silenoz
October 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I looked at the Payton list and then stats. A couple people are saying that someone else should be on the list but who should be taken off? Who do you think does not deserve to be on the list?

He should be in over Lee, for one

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
He should be in over Lee, for one

I'm not arguing that. Lee was put on because I knew SWAC fans would feel overlooked.

Syntax Error
October 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm not arguing that. Lee was put on because I knew SWAC fans would feel overlooked./

DSUrocks07
October 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I move for a no transfers allowed rule xwhistlex

Just because they drop down doesn't automatically make them one of the best

Cocky
October 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Who would you take off for sure? I thought about RP but was not sure who should be substituted for him.

They are all deserving but he would play in front of most. He has so much ability any coach would have trouble keeping him off the field. Plus he has the disadvantage of having our coaching staff's game plan.

smcwildcat
October 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
RJ Toman....very underated

DSUrocks07
October 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I'm not arguing that. Lee was put on because I knew SWAC fans would feel overlooked.

xconfusedx

DSUrocks07
October 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
They are all deserving but he would play in front of most. He has so much ability any coach would have trouble keeping him off the field. Plus he has the disadvantage of having our coaching staff's game plan.

I thought that this is a question of who the top QB is? Not who the most talented QB is. If you cannot apply your talent on the field of play and have a major impact on the game then you are not one of the best. RP="paper champion"

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Championship Subdivision (FCS) National Player Report
Passing Efficiency

Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp Comppct Int Intpct Pyds Ydspatt TDs TDpct Rating
3 Cameron Higgins, Weber St. QB SO 8 263 180 68.44 6 2.28 2534 9.63 25 9.51 176.2
4 Sebastian Trujillo, San Diego QB JR 6 173 120 69.36 6 3.47 1524 8.81 19 10.98 172.7
6 R.J. Toman, New Hampshire QB SO 6 185 131 70.81 6 3.24 1492 8.06 15 8.11 158.8
9 Derrick Fourroux, McNeese St. QB JR 6 149 96 64.43 3 2.01 1232 8.27 12 8.05 156.4
10 Cade Thompson, Tenn.-Martin QB JR 8 175 102 58.29 7 4.00 1561 8.92 16 9.14 155.4

By some people's definition of the top QB AE, Landers, and Higgins should not be on the list because they are not the most efficient in the nation. I think you have to look at passing yards, average, touchdowns, interceptions (this stat is a huge one), pass eff., completion percentage, wins, talent around you, etc. Can't pick the top QB because of just one stat when there are many out there to look at. Pass efficiency is just one of many good stats to look at.

Cocky
October 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I thought that this is a question of who the top QB is? Not who the most talented QB is. If you cannot apply your talent on the field of play and have a major impact on the game then you are not one of the best. RP="paper champion"

Like I said he would start before most on the list which would make him the top QB. Playing QB for the best team doesn't make you the top QB either.

GeauxLions94
October 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM

Yes, Fourroux is a good QB (one of the better dual threat QBs in the country) ... but he had nothing to do with shutting down Bomar.

Kinda tough to top these numbers
Stats- 149 comp, 206 attempts, 1890 yards, 18 TDs, 1 INT, 72.3%, 178.86 pass eff.,

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Like I said he would start before most on the list which would make him the top QB. Playing QB for the best team doesn't make you the top QB either.

Wouldn't he have to start over all of these guys to be the best QB?

Cocky, I firmly believe that next year RP will have the numbers, a highly ranked team, and the name to be one of the top 3-4 for the Payton. He is doing very well this year. The one thing to remember though is that who these guys did their damage against. Most of the QBs on my list have put up good numbers against teams ranked in the top 20. RP needs a big game against a very good team.

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Yes, Fourroux is a good QB (one of the better dual threat QBs in the country) ... but he had nothing to do with shutting down Bomar.

Stats- 149 comp, 206 attempts, 1890 yards, 18 TDs, 1 INT, 72.3%, 178.86 pass eff.,

I think his 18-1 ratio clearly puts him ahead of Bomar and Fourroux. His pass eff. and pure skills put him ahead of the other SLC QBs as well.

Cocky
October 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't he have to start over all of these guys to be the best QB?

Cocky, I firmly believe that next year RP will have the numbers, a highly ranked team, and the name to be one of the top 3-4 for the Payton. He is doing very well this year. The one thing to remember though is that who these guys did their damage against. Most of the QBs on my list have put up good numbers against teams ranked in the top 20. RP needs a big game against a very good team.

I'm not sure he would not start over all of them but I'm also not sure he would start over all of them. I understand this is all opinion so it doesn't mean very much but the guy is good. He had a good game against EIU which was ranked at the time but we will not have the opportunity to play any top 20 this year or next unless it is in the playoffs.

Retro
October 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Maybe not by himself, but he lead is team to victory over bomar twice now! I do agree that right now, Brown is the better QB in the SLC.

Pauly LB
October 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Championship Subdivision (FCS) National Player Report
Passing Efficiency

Thanks Syntax Error -- I was just going to look up and copy the stats that you just posted. For me this is not about voting for Dally as a HOMER vote -- quite frankly he has the stats and the results to more than justify being on this poll as a choice. I really don't care who is left off -- you can let the stats and the results speak for themselves and leave off anyone from #9 down. In fact, the #10 choice really should be "All Other" and then you can eliminate this controversy.

You can count me as a NO VOTE !!!

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks Syntax Error -- I was just going to look up and copy the stats that you just posted. For me this is not about voting for Dally as a HOMER vote -- quite frankly he has the stats and the results to more than justify being on this poll as a choice. I really don't care who is left off -- you can let the stats and the results speak for themselves and leave off anyone from #9 down. In fact, the #10 choice really should be "All Other" and then you can eliminate this controversy.

You can count me as a NO VOTE !!!

I am not sure if we would ever eliminate controversy. If I could edit the poll I would add other and take off Lee from Southern, though.

AppGrad06
October 20th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I went with the homer pick. I was tempted to pick Landers or Brown, but decided to give it up to AE

Lionsrking
October 20th, 2008, 03:57 AM
While I wouldn't rate him the best in country, or even the best in our league, I would nominate our QB, Brian Babin, for consideration, based on some of the numbers I've seen on that list...plus he missed a full game and a half.

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/9/15/rp_primary_091308_0042.JPG

Brian Babin #10
6-5, 222, R-Jr.
St. Amant HS
St. Amant, La.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G 6 145.0 139-220-1 63.2 1616 14 64 269.3
Missed half of Alcorn game and did not play at all against Mississippi State.

BEAR
October 20th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Revised with actual active QBs..xlolx

1a. Nathan Brown, Central Ark. QB SR 7 206 149 72.33 1 .49 1890 9.17 19 9.22 178.9

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 07:08 AM
At the end of the day it is obvious that AE does not have the best numbers but how can you argue about 2 national titles for the kid and a number 2 ranking in the polls?

BEAR
October 20th, 2008, 07:12 AM
At the end of the day it is obvious that AE does not have the best numbers but how can you argue about 2 national titles for the kid and a number 2 ranking in the polls?

Very true. I'd rather have a decent QB with a great oline and effective receivers than a QB lighting up the scoreboard and YPG and losing games...
i.e. Brown is 6-1 (loss to Tulsa, scored 34 points) vs. Bomar 2-3 (0-2 losses to UCA and McNeese)..it's about the team and Edwards has their support! xthumbsupx

Hellgate60
October 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Something thats surprises me is that at the beginning of this year I would have thought we would be talking about Matt Nichols from Eastern Washington as one of the best quarterbacks in FCS. He currently ranks 52 in quarterback efficiency. He and the Eagles have been sort of a disappointment to me.

ur2k
October 20th, 2008, 08:00 AM
In this poll, I chose Edwards just because the ability he has to change a game at any moment.

That said, Richmond is very comfortable with the QB we have. In my opinion Eric Ward is as good most of the guys on that list.

jus10asu
October 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM
There are a lot of guys with killer numbers but Armanti just has that presence about him. And he puts up numbers even when you know teams prepare for him like no other QB.

SideLine Shooter
October 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM

There are some excellent QB's out there right now but, I have seen every game A.E. has played for ASU and when it counts Armanti IS THE MAN!

Richie Williams was great. Armanti Edwards is awesome.xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
There are a lot of guys with killer numbers but Armanti just has that presence about him. And he puts up numbers even when you know teams prepare for him like no other QB.

The announcers during the GSU game were talking about this, but a lot of what's lost on people in the style of play that Edwards and Landers (and other spread/choice QBs) play is their decision making.

Many times it's split second and to have the type of success that Edwards has had, you have to have a knack for making those decisions.

blueballs
October 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Edwards. Two years, two rings. Period.

Until somebody else defeats an Edwards led team in the playoffs he is the man.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Edwards. Two years, two rings. Period.

Until somebody else defeats an Edwards led team in the playoffs he is the man.

Very true. Bottom line is that the top 4 QBs (AE, Brown, Landers, and Higgins) are on the poll and if you are voting for someone else you are not looking at the right person. While I can see why some argue on others it is clear that you have to pick from these 4 and it should likely be AE, Landers, or Higgins because of the competition they face weekly. Edwards has a bigger target on his back than any other QB and has done something the others on this list haven't and only one could possibly do, and that is win 2 national titles.

Ronbo
October 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Does anyone believe Edwards will have the skill set needed to be a Pro QB? How tall is he? Are the Pros looking for a spread option QB or will he be a RB? Do any believe Edwards is a product of the system he plays in? Would he be a good QB in an offense like Higgins plays in? Which is the I formation Pro type offense with lot's of play action.

These are honest questions. Just looking for some opinions.

SideLine Shooter
October 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Does anyone believe Edwards will have the skill set needed to be a Pro QB? How tall is he? Are the Pros looking for a spread option QB or will he be a RB? Do any believe Edwards is a product of the system he plays in? Would he be a good QB in an offense like Higgins plays in? Which is the I formation Pro type offense with lot's of play action.

I would say no, he probably will not play in the NFL, maybe the CFL. But then, what do I know. He sure is good where he is right now!xnodx

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM

He's not a pro QB and neither is Landers. I do not think that either would flourish in the Weber State system, but I don't think Higgins would do well in the spread (but I've never seen him run...). That's why coaches recruit certain QBs and don't recruit others.

As far as the "system QB" question, it's really a chicken and egg kind of thing. The QB is recruited for the system because they will fit in well with the system. In that regard, every QB is a "system QB" in college.

McNeese75
October 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Something thats surprises me is that at the beginning of this year I would have thought we would be talking about Matt Nichols from Eastern Washington as one of the best quarterbacks in FCS. He currently ranks 52 in quarterback efficiency. He and the Eagles have been sort of a disappointment to me.

Losing pieces to the machine always affects a team (no matter what homer fans think xlolx ) Nichols is a very good QB but the OL losses to graduation and a new head coach have obviously taken their toll. I think NDSU fans have also seen what breaking in a new QB this year has done for their season. xpeacex

Mustang Man
October 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Can't believe Dally is not given a spot in your top 10. Dally plays a big part in Cal Poly's offensive success.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Think he could possibly be converted to a WR? He does have the ability to make people miss and has good speed.

AppGrad06
October 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Think he could possibly be converted to a WR? He does have the ability to make people miss and has good speed.

I could see him as a Randle El. A lot would have to happen for him to get a shot at QB in the NFL. That is not to say he wouldn't be capable but that most teams (other than Tampa Bay) wont look at a QB who is "only" 6'1". I might be possible if he proves himself in the CFL like Flutie did, but then he'd probably just get benched and traded after carrying his team to the playoffs so Rob Johnson can bring the team back to the depths of dispair.

(yes, I'm a Bills fan and yes I'm still bitter)

RE/MAXGriz
October 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I see he's getting some attention but guys - Cam Higgins is one hell of a good QB.

andy7171
October 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I voted for Armanti Edwards.

I think because Towson is 3-4 and went through a injury ridden 3-8 last year Sean Schafer has been forgotten. He went over 10,000 career yards passing last week. And has a effiecncy rating @137. He spreads the ball all over the field with 8 players having receiving TD out of his 13.

Just sayin.

Tough row to hoe coming up with UNH, W&M, Nova, Delaware and JMU. Don't look too inviting eh?

gbhmt
October 20th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I see he's getting some attention but guys - Cam Higgins is one hell of a good QB.

Well at least if he doesn't get the Payton Award this year, he's got TWO MORE years to do it. Remarkable that he's doing this well as a soph.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I am not sure if we would ever eliminate controversy. If I could edit the poll I would add other and take off Lee from Southern, though.

BS. No QB is playing better than B Lee. This is his numbers from Saturday. 25-42 407 3 TD's, 64 yards rushing 3 TD's. B Lee had 6 TD's Saturday. He is also the national POW. Every award in FCS is named after a SWAC player.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4186287

theasushow
October 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
BS. No QB is playing better than B Lee. This is his numbers from Saturday. 25-42 407 3 TD's, 64 yards rushing 3 TD's. B Lee had 6 TD's Saturday. He is also the national POW. Every award in FCS is named after a SWAC player.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4186287

wonder how AE and Landers would do in the SWAC, hmmmmmm......

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
wonder how AE and Landers would do in the SWAC, hmmmmmm......Actually B.Lee's best games were OC games against the OVC and the Meac. vs Famu he was 25-42 407 3 TD's, 64 yards rushing 3 TD's. B Lee had 6 TD's. He also was 30-40(75%) 4 TD's and 47 yards rushing against Tenn St. B.Lee was 22-34 (64%) with 40 yards rushing against University of Houston.

JohnStOnge
October 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I didn't vote and I'm not saying he's the top quarterback in FCS, but I often really wonder why McNeese's Derrick Forroux gets absolutely zero respect. He's a higher rated passer than 7 of the 10 guys in the poll and he's pretty good with his feet...especially in terms of moving around and throwing on the run.

It's the same in the Southland. All the talk is always about Bomar and Brown when Fourroux's performance last year was better than both of those two and may end up being better this year. Certainly right there with them.

BEAR
October 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I didn't vote and I'm not saying he's the top quarterback in FCS, but I often really wonder why McNeese's Derrick Forroux gets absolutely zero respect. He's a higher rated passer than 7 of the 10 guys in the poll and he's pretty good with his feet...especially in terms of moving around and throwing on the run.

It's the same in the Southland. All the talk is always about Bomar and Brown when Fourroux's performance last year was better than both of those two and may end up being better this year. Certainly right there with them.

How so? Stats? Championship? stats? stats? xlolx

ERASU2113
October 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Thought with the WR thread we could put a QB thread up and see who everyone thinks is the top QB. Please discuss why you went with who you did, if you want. Those on the Payton list were named and I wanted to make sure that the SWAC's top offensive player was put on here as well so I added Bryant.

Here are stats to help everyone decide.

QB COLE BERGQUIST, MONTANA, SR.
Stats- 110 comp, 170 att, 1686 yards, 17 TDs, 4 INT, 64.7%, 176.31 pass eff., 240.9 yards per game, 52 carries, 114 yards, 1.5avg, 3 TDs in 7 games.

QB RHETT BOMAR, SAM HOUSTON STATE, SR.
Stats- 109 comp, 183 att, 1476 yards, 15 TDs, 5 INT, 59.6%, 148.90 pass eff., 295.3 yards per game, 39 carries, 107 yards, 2.7avg, 3 TDs in 5 games.

QB LIAM COEN, UMASS, SR.
Stats- 130 comp, 207 att, 1629 yards, 11 TDs, 6 INT, 140.65 pass eff., 62.8%, 232.7 yards per game, 24 carries, -7 yards, -0.3avg, 2 TDs in 7 games.

QB ARMANTI EDWARDS, APPALACHIAN STATE, JR.
Stats- 87 comp, 150 att, 1270, 13 TDs, 2 INT, 58.0%, 155.1 pass eff., 181.4 yards per game, 115 carries, 545 yards, 4.7avg, 5 TDs in 7 games.

QB CAMERON HIGGINS, WEBER STATE, SOPH.
Stats- 181 comp, 264 att, 2551 yards, 25 TDs, 6 INT, 176.43 pass eff., 68.6%, 318.9 yards per game, 29 carries, -66 yards, -1.5avg, 1 TD in 8 games.

QB RODNEY LANDERS, JAMES MADISON, SR.
Stats- 52 comp, 83 att, 692 yards, 8 TDs, 3 INT, 157.26 pass eff., 62.7%, 98.9 yards per game, 121 carries, 797 yards, 8 TDs, 6.6avg in 7 games.

QB BRYANT LEE, SOUTHERN, JR.
Stats- 152 comp, 240 att, 1939 yards, 16 TDs, 3 INT, 150.7 pass eff., 63.3%, 277.0 yards per game, 102 carries, 370 yards, 3.6avg, 6 TDs in 7 games.

RB DOMINIC RANDOLPH, HOLY CROSS, SR.
Stats- 195 comp, 297 att, 1965 yards, 16 TDs, 8 INT, 133.62 pass eff., 66.7%, 37 carries, 35 yards, 0.9avg, 4 TDs in 6 games.

QB SCOTT RIDDLE, ELON, SOPH.
Stats- 169 comp, 274 att, 1998 yards, 18 TDs, 10 INT, 61.7%, 137.3 pass eff., 249.8 yards per game, 49 carries, -12 yards, -1.3 yards per carry in 8 games.

Sorry I was a homer....xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Saint3333
October 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM

NFL - no, CFL - maybe. 5'11". Product of the system - no he is a running, passing, decision maker that could play in any FCS system. Likely a Randle El type NFL pro.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM
B.Lee is also #2 in FCS in total offense. :)

GolfingGriz
October 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM
Higgins is really good, but I had to be a homer and vote for Cole after what he did saturday. I really wish we can play Weber again in the playoffs and see what Higgins could do against the Griz D now.

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM

See this is why I included Lee because I know the SWAC people feel he is a top QB and with his numbers this past weekend prove that I was actually right to include him. The problem was that I only had 10 choices when I needed 15 or so to include everyone. xsmiley_wix

DSUrocks07
October 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM
wonder how AE and Landers would do in the SWAC, hmmmmmm......

xcoffeex

And I wonder how Colt McCoy and Chase Daniel would do in the SoCon...

Your point? xcoffeex

Is Bryant Lee better than all of those QBs on the list, probably not. But to say that he doesn't deserve to even be in the discussion is purely asinine.

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
How so? Stats? Championship? stats? stats? xlolx

He finished 2007 as the highest rated passer in the Southland at 156.1. Brown was a close second at 154.1 and Bomar finished at 130.1. When it came to running the ball, Fourroux averaged 4.8 yards per carry that year, Bomar averaged 4.7, and Brown averaged 2.2.

This year, Brown is having an outsanding season passing efficiency wise and is currently first in the Southland by that measure at 178.9. But Forroux is second at 156.1 and Bomar is at 148.9. This year, Fourroux is averaging 4.1 yards per carry, Brown 1.6, and Bomar 2.7.

His TD to interception ratio last year was 3.2:1. Brown's was 2.6:1 and Bomar's was 1.7:1. This year, Brown's having an ouotstanding year in that area as well at 19:1. But Fourroux is doing well at 4:1 while Bomar is at 3:1.

He's an effective passer with a good TD to INT ratio and he's been more effective running the ball than either of the other two.

No, he's not "prototypical" but he's arguably been the most effective of the three on the field on a play by play basis when he's asked to either throw the ball or tote it when you consider both 2007 and 2008.

Brown's having a great year passing this year but he's nowhere close to Fourroux as a running threat. Fourroux, meanwhile, can at the very least hold his own against Brown when it comes to making plays throwing the ball. And Fourroux's been a more effective passer as well as a more effective runner than Bomar.

The teams around the QBs are a factor and he's had good players around him. But Fourroux ought to at least be in the conversation when it comes to talking about top quarterbacks from the Southland. And, frankly, I don't think Brown is hurting for offensive talent around him. Bomar is to an extent, I think, but I don't think Brown is.

patssle
October 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
He finished 2007 as the highest rated passer in the Southland at 156.1. Brown was a close second at 154.1 and Bomar finished at 130.1. When it came to running the ball, Fourroux averaged 4.8 yards per carry that year, Bomar averaged 4.7, and Brown averaged 2.2.

Your guy played vs. the Sun Belch, an o-fer, a D2, and a 3-8 Portland. Bomar went vs. the Big 12, top 5 NDSU, but 2 D2s.

I saw Fourroux play last year and this year vs. SHSU. He is not better than Bomar, he just has better talent around him and better coaches.

If you were at the SHSU game on Saturday, you saw most of Fourroux's yards passing came from wide open receivers doing the same damn routes along the sidelines that our incompetant coaches couldn't adjust to.

eaglesrthe1
October 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Quick question.

Armanti won't get drafted at all. No slam on him, he's a game changer and I voted him as the best in this poll.

eaglesrthe1
October 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
What sucks about looking at Walter Payton candidates and Top QB, top RB, etc...is that FCS doesn't get the media coverage of FBS.

I wish I could see some highlights of all the Walter Payton candidates. I know KLAK has made some really great highlight videos on You Tube of Jayson Foster so everybody could really see him play.

I'm sure that Armanti Edwards has a bunch of highlights as well, but he's been getting airtime due to the big win at Michigan.

Maybe we should try to compile as many highlights of all these Payton award candidates so that everybody can really see how they play and make a judgment that way.

I am of the opinion that Jayson owes part of that Payton credit to Klak. I truly believe that his video gave the extra exposure to Jayson for some of the voters that might not get to see so much media on everyone. Especially with the choreography that went with it. Kudos to Klak.

It wouldn't be stupid for schools to actually put a little dough into promoting some of these top players on You Tube, and linking them here. The people who see a new medium and take advantage of it's possibilities can often gain an edge before it becomes common. Hell, with students using the schools media equipment, from a cost stand point it's practically nothing.

MCFAN
October 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Your guy played vs. the Sun Belch, an o-fer, a D2, and a 3-8 Portland. Bomar went vs. the Big 12, top 5 NDSU, but 2 D2s.

I saw Fourroux play last year and this year vs. SHSU. He is not better than Bomar, he just has better talent around him and better coaches.

If you were at the SHSU game on Saturday, you saw most of Fourroux's yards passing came from wide open receivers doing the same damn routes along the sidelines that our incompetant coaches couldn't adjust to.

Leadership and getting the most out of your team are also traits of outstanding quarterbacks. Brown and Fourroux seem to possess those traits, but the few times I've seen Bomar, I get the impression he thinks he's a big twelve qb that was unlucky and got stuck at Sam.

FormerPokeCenter
October 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM

After watching Fourroux's block 50 yards downfield on Todd Pendland's long scoring dash, I'd be willing to bet Derrick COULD line up on defense and knock the snot outta somebody ;)

As a former offensive lineman, any QB who hustles downfield and throws an effective block when he doesn't have to gets MY vote for Best QB in the FCS.

AppIAA
October 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM
It wouldn't be stupid for schools to actually put a little dough into promoting some of these top players...

App talked about doing that to promote Armanit's heisman chances.. glad they rejected that idea though..

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM

The two times I've seen Bomar play I think his offensive line didn't do a good job of protecting him and his receivers dropped too many catchable balls.

Having said that, he didn't look real accurate either. Strong arm, but some of those catchable balls his receivers dropped were kind of difficult to catch because they were a little off target.

But I allow for the possibility that he's looked better than that in other games. I know North Dakota State fans, for instance, were very impressed with him last season. And prior to the McNeese game, based on his season stats to that point, I voted for him here on AGS as the guy who'd done the most to earn the Payton award.

Again...all I'm saying is that I don't understand why Fourroux isn't in the conversation. I have no doubt that Bomar and Brown are better pro prospects and Fourroux probably isn't even going get a sniff because he's not a "prototypical" quarterback. But the guy is a very good FCS level college quarterback who makes plays.

It's just that you have a guy who was the highest rated passer in the league at the end of last season who also had more rushing yards than any other quarterback in the conference. He's having a similar performance this year and his team leads FCS in both total and scoring offense right now. Yet nobody even mentions him when conversations about the top QBs in the league come up.

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
After watching Fourroux's block 50 yards downfield on Todd Pendland's long scoring dash, I'd be willing to bet Derrick COULD line up on defense and knock the snot outta somebody ;)

As a former offensive lineman, any QB who hustles downfield and throws an effective block when he doesn't have to gets MY vote for Best QB in the FCS.

And I think he does that kind of stuff a lot. I didn't see that particular play because I was fighting with my computer (finally used my wife's). But my brother who was watching in Lake Charles called me. He said it actually looked like he came from back behind Todrick Pendland...who is very fast.. sprinting hard to get ahead of him and throw the block. He also said he thinks it made the difference in getting Pendland into the end zone.

But, anyway, I've seen him a lot doing stuff like that...carrying on with the play after the ball leaves his hand trying (many times successfully) to block people. The guy is just a football player through and through.

Retro
October 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM

That's true, Fourroux does have better talent around him, but you have to come to play each week... You whine about Mcneese's schedule last year, but Mcneese whipped pretty much everyone, so it wasn't even close, despite how those teams turned out..

In addition, Mcneese whipped a UL-L team whose pass defense was much better than the Oklahoma State team last year 218 to 287 yds per game. The one SHSU lost to 39 - 3... So, Fourroux peformed well and got wins regardless of the competition, something Bomar hasn't done yet.

patssle
October 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM
Mcneese whipped a UL-L team whose pass defense was much better than the Oklahoma State team last year 218 to 287 yds per game

You can't compare the pass defenses of a Sun Belch team to a Big 12 team who played Texas, Tech, Kansas, and OU.

Having said that, he didn't look real accurate either. Strong arm, but some of those catchable balls his receivers dropped were kind of difficult to catch because they were a little off target.

Bomar did look pretty bad Saturday, he was never able to get going though with our O-Line being manhandled.

Again...all I'm saying is that I don't understand why Fourroux isn't in the conversation. I have no doubt that Bomar and Brown are better pro prospects and Fourroux probably isn't even going get a sniff because he's not a "prototypical" quarterback. But the guy is a very good FCS level college quarterback who makes plays.

I agree. Fourroux is a very good QB who should be mentioned among the tops of the FCS.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
See this is why I included Lee because I know the SWAC people feel he is a top QB and with his numbers this past weekend prove that I was actually right to include him. The problem was that I only had 10 choices when I needed 15 or so to include everyone. xsmiley_wix

B.Lee is 152-240 63.3% 150.7 effic 1939 yards 16 TD's passing 6 TD's rushing 3 INT's 277.0 per game passing, 52.9 rushing= 329.9yards per game which is #2 in FCS. xthumbsupx

UCABEARS75
October 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
The two times I've seen Bomar play I think his offensive line didn't do a good job of protecting him and his receivers dropped too many catchable balls.

But I allow for the possibility that he's looked better than that in other games. I know North Dakota State fans, for instance, were very impressed with him last season. And prior to the McNeese game, based on his season stats to that point, I voted for him here on AGS as the guy who'd done the most to earn the Payton award.

It's just that you have a guy who was the highest rated passer in the league at the end of last season who also had more rushing yards than any other quarterback in the conference. He's having a similar performance this year and his team leads FCS in both total and scoring offense right now. Yet nobody even mentions him when conversations about the top QBs in the league come up.

Well said.

I have seen all three of the SLC guys. Of course, I have seen Nathan play virtually all of his games.

All three are outstanding college QB's who do a lot for their team.

Based upon record, etc. it is hard to argue that Fourroux is not just as good of a college QB as there is around, same for Nathan.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
I went with Landers not because he's the most gifted QB (I think that is Edwards) but because he's the best QB for the system JMU runs (better in that system than any other QB in their particular system).

Gamecocks99
October 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Jacksonville State University's Ryan Perilloux

smallcollegefbfan
October 22nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Jacksonville State University's Ryan Perilloux

I don't have his stats on me. What are his yards per game, TD ratio, and pass efficiency so far? I don't think it has been posted here. Seems like he is having a very good year with all the OVC player of the week nominations he has been getting.

GOODY26
October 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
My vote goes to Edwards

JohnStOnge
October 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I don't have his stats on me. What are his yards per game, TD ratio, and pass efficiency so far? I don't think it has been posted here. Seems like he is having a very good year with all the OVC player of the week nominations he has been getting.

If you count Nathan Brown (transitional FCS) he's 28th in FCS passing efficiency at 140.7. He's 120 of 186 (64.5%) for 1,415 yards with 13 TDs and 11 interceptions.

He's 40th in FCS total offense if you count transitionals at 229.3 yards per game. He's rushed for 190 yards on 78 carries for an average of 2.4 yards per carry.

I don't think one can make much of an argument for him being anywhere close to the top QB in FCS based on statistics. Here are the rankings he has in NCAA offensive stats where he appears on the lists (transitionals included):

Passing Efficiency 28th
Total Offense 40th
Points Responsible For 19th
Passing 41st
Total Passing Yards 40th
Passing Yards per Game 46th

Being a run/pass threat was something he had a reputation for at LSU but, again, he's only averaged 2.4 yards per carry.

patssle
October 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
He's 120 of 186 (64.5%) for 1,415 yards with 13 TDs and 11 interceptions.

Where are you getting these stats? He had no interceptions going into the SHSU game.

McNeese72
October 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Where are you getting these stats? He had no interceptions going into the SHSU game.

Perrilloux and Jacksonville St. are playing SHSU???

Doc

asknoquarter21
October 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I voted Armanti...

The way I see it the QB that means the most to their team is AE...

No one can run the spread like Armanti except Pat White. No offense to Landers but to me he runs a different type of spread.

Armanti and Landers are in a class by themselves the rest should be put in a poll by themselves in which I think Brown or Higgins wins.

and a strong case could be made for any of the 4.

Armanti then higgins for the purpose of the poll

coover
October 22nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Jonathan Dally is not the most gifted QB in the nation, though he can pass and run. He is simply the smartest QB in the nation. He does not make mistakes. The "Triple Option" offense is perfect for Dally and is a horror for opposing teams. Because Poly is not an East Coast team is not a good reason to leave him off this list. The nation is a lot larger than the Eastern Time Zone.

JohnStOnge
October 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM

I can understand misunderstanding because I didn't name who I was talking about. But, as someone else has noted, I was writing about Ryan Perriolloux.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Amranti Edwards would start for any team in FCS. However, RJ Toman, successor to Sir Santos at UNH, is not bad:

6 games (5 W, 1 L)
158.8 QB Rating
131completions -185 attempts 70.8%
1492 yards passing
15 TDs passing
6 interceptions
65 yrds long gain
248.7 yards per game

3 TDs rushing

JohnStOnge
October 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Amranti Edwards would start for any team in FCS.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Within the Southland, for instance, I don't think he'd start for either Sam Houston State or Central Arkansas. It has to do with offensive philosophy and style. I think those two teams, if they had recruited AE, would have put him at another position.

GolfingGriz
October 23rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Jonathan Dally is not the most gifted QB in the nation, though he can pass and run. He is simply the smartest QB in the nation. He does not make mistakes. The "Triple Option" offense is perfect for Dally and is a horror for opposing teams. Because Poly is not an East Coast team is not a good reason to leave him off this list. The nation is a lot larger than the Eastern Time Zone.

Dally is a very good QB in your system, but his two mistakes are the reason that Montana won that game.

Mustang Man
October 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Dally is a very good QB in your system, but his two mistakes are the reason that Montana won that game.

Cal Poly missed a short FG is the reason they lost the Montana game.

CrunchGriz
October 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Cal Poly missed a short FG is the reason they lost the Montana game.

I don't think you can pin this all on your kicker. When the game was on the line, tied in the fourth quarter, Dally fumbled near the Montana goal line, and Cal Poly had to fall on it for a safety, directly leading to two points (the eventual winning margin), and indirectly leading to Montana's next seven points, when they got great field position after the safety.

The point being, Dally is hardly infallible, and in the biggest game of the year (for FCS playoff determinations), Dally made a big, game-changing mistake.

Not that he's not a great QB--he's got a lot of skills, for sure; he's not perfect, though.

Ronbo
October 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I don't think you can pin this all on your kicker. When the game was on the line, tied in the fourth quarter, Dally fumbled near the Montana goal line, and Cal Poly had to fall on it for a safety, directly leading to two points (the eventual winning margin), and indirectly leading to Montana's next seven points, when they got great field position after the safety.

The point being, Dally is hardly infallible, and in the biggest game of the year (for FCS playoff determinations), Dally made a big, game-changing mistake.

Not that he's not a great QB--he's got a lot of skills, for sure; he's not perfect, though.

Also if you watch the film of the game you'll see a really bad snap on the field goal try. The kick was doomed as soon as the ball was snapped. Wasn't the kickers fault at all.

crossfire07
October 24th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I wasnt able to vote for the best because he isn't on the poll. Jonathon Daly from Cal Poly. he is the most pass efficient qb in the fcs this year.none of those allowed to vote for have a qb rating of 187.11 or better. McNeese's qb is more efficient than the other 2 qb's from the southland.george is 12th and bomar is 18th. could have at least put the top 10 in passing efficiency in the poll. would not have made the app. state fans happy since he is 11th @ 155.05

appstate38
October 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Based on stats they are all quality players. Based on rings, well we know who it is.... AE all the way.

Walkon79
October 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
The "easy" choice would be Edwards based on body of work, but I chose Higgins based on passing stats and bringing Weber State to the verge of it's first BSC championship in 40 years.

Bergquist is also having a remarkable run. Just a few short years ago many Griz were trashing him on this board, EGriz and BobcatNation. The were crying in unison for his replacement as the starter. What a difference a couple of years makes.

crossfire07
October 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Based on stats they are all quality players. Based on rings, well we know who it is.... AE all the way.

it was hardly just the qb that got app state the rings. the best qb in fcs doesn't always make it to the championship game. if you go by the pass efficient stats he is a little ways from the best but i understand where you are coming from. you are an app state fan and with the championships it makes you think nobody else is better at anything but dont get too high on that cloud, it just makes the fall that much harder. there are qb's from the NFL have rings too with much worst ratings.

appstate38
October 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM
it was hardly just the qb that got app state the rings. the best qb in fcs doesn't always make it to the championship game. if you go by the pass efficient stats he is a little ways from the best but i understand where you are coming from. you are an app state fan and with the championships it makes you think nobody else is better at anything but dont get too high on that cloud, it just makes the fall that much harder. there are qb's from the NFL have rings too with much worst ratings.

You are entitled to your opinion. But I do believe I clarified my statement based on stats any of those guys would be a good choice. Read what I wrote and don't make assumptions.

Until somebody else wins the title there nobody else better. Sorry if the truth hurts.

BTW Welcome to AGS!!!

McNeese75
October 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
You are entitled to your opinion. But I do believe I clarified my statement based on stats any of those guys would be a good choice. Read what I wrote and don't make assumptions.

Until somebody else wins the title there nobody else better. Sorry if the truth hurts.

BTW Welcome to AGS!!!

If the criteria for measurement is NC Rings then AE is the man no doubt. If you pick anything else I think we will find there is alwasy going to be someone else more qualified. xrotatehx

crossfire07
October 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Based on rings, well we know who it is.... AE all the way.

according to what you wrote and what I replied, there are no assumptions being made. just because he has the rings doesn't mean he is the best. I thought the vote was on a qb's accomplishments. not team accomplishments. the truth in the numbers just don't add up for your guy being the best. the truth never bothers me and there is ALWAYS someone better. nobody stays on top forever. enjoy it while it lasts.btw, I seen this link but never seen the championship banners around. don't know if people knew about them or not.http://www.div1fbchampionship.com/bannersnew/ (http://www.div1fbchampionship.com/bannersnew)

http://www.div1fbchampionship.com/bannersnew/images/2007.jpg

Rob Iola
October 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Armanti Edwards

appstate38
October 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Just to be clear.... Since the Cowboys haven't face AE and company, the thing he brings to our team can't be measured by just stats. Take him off that team and we are no where near as good. Still a good team yes, but every team need a trigger man.

apppackdad
October 24th, 2008, 06:07 PM
The people have spoken. Was there really ever any doubt? Many quality candidates but only one AE!

ericsaid
October 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Deandre Pressley is the best in the FCS in my book.

McNeese75
October 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Deandre Pressley is the best in the FCS in my book.

Where is your sarcasm smilie in that quote xrolleyesx

Longhorn
October 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I voted Armanti...

The way I see it the QB that means the most to their team is AE...

No one can run the spread like Armanti except Pat White. No offense to Landers but to me he runs a different type of spread.

Armanti and Landers are in a class by themselves the rest should be put in a poll by themselves in which I think Brown or Higgins wins.

No offense taken, but AE wouldn't start at JMU with Landers in the picture. No offense to AE.

ericsaid
October 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Where is your sarcasm smilie in that quote xrolleyesx

He did pretty good against LSU, first play he ran for 17 yards, second was an incomplete pass, third was a long completion to devin radford under pressure to set up a would be field goal until he gets hurt.xthumbsupx

But I voted Armanti just because he is the top man in FCS and regardless of the biases against ASU everyone knows in the back of their mind he is probably the best QB in FCS. His stats, and championship rings speak for themselves, and the success the team has had while he has been the quarterback.

McNeese75
October 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM
He did pretty good against LSU, first play he ran for 17 yards, second was an incomplete pass, third was a long completion to devin radford under pressure to set up a would be field goal until he gets hurt.xthumbsupx

But I voted Armanti just because he is the top man in FCS and regardless of the biases against ASU everyone knows in the back of their mind he is probably the best QB in FCS. His stats, and championship rings speak for themselves, and the success the team has had while he has been the quarterback.

I agree AE he is one of the top players in the FCS and the best fit for the ASU offense but he would not be the top guy in other offensive schemes. Pressley is unproven regardless of his limited playing time against LSU, etc.

crossfire07
October 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM
His stats, and championship rings speak for themselves, and the success the team has had while he has been the quarterback.

I don't know what stats you are looking at. the ones the NCAA puts out says he is 11th. once again the rings mean nothing in this vote. those came from a TEAM effort in previous years. he does not have a ring yet for this year does he? individual efforts are being weighed in this poll. you voted for armanti just because he is at app state and obviously didn't even take time to look at the numbers. McNeese's qb has better numbers and is ranked higher than him but I'm not pushing him to the front as being the best simply because he plays for the school I pull for.

"regardless of the biases against ASU everyone knows in the back of their mind he is probably the best QB in FCS"

I do not think the bias is on everyone else's part. everyone respects what app. state has done but I think it comes more from SOME fans that have allowed those rings to really screw up their way of thinking. they aren't humble anymore. time will fix that.

Appstate29
October 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
No offense taken, but AE wouldn't start at JMU with Landers in the picture. No offense to AE.

I'll take AE and you'll take Landers and we'll both end up happy.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. Within the Southland, for instance, I don't think he'd start for either Sam Houston State or Central Arkansas. It has to do with offensive philosophy and style. I think those two teams, if they had recruited AE, would have put him at another position.

That would have been as big as the mistake BC almost made with Doug Flutie 27 years ago!

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Amranti Edwards would start for any team in FCS. However, RJ Toman, successor to Sir Santos at UNH, is not bad:

6 games (5 W, 1 L)
158.8 QB Rating
131completions -185 attempts 70.8%
1492 yards passing
15 TDs passing
6 interceptions
65 yrds long gain
248.7 yards per game

3 TDs rushing

Upate from 42-14 win over Towson:

completed 20 of 26 passes for 292 yards and four touchdowns xsmiley_wix

malibudude
October 26th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Jonathon Dally- Cal Poly 22 of 26 attempts, 410 yards and 6TD's this week against SUU. Leads FCS QB effeciency ratings by quite a bit.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Jonathon Dally- Cal Poly 22 of 26 attempts, 410 yards and 6TD's this week against SUU. Leads FCS QB effeciency ratings by quite a bit.

Put him on the list, too! Very impressive, ....

X-Factor
October 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM

Dang what the Bison would be willing to do to borrow this guy for a week xlolx Or rather, any of the guys on that list xsmhx

coover
October 27th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Until there is an opportunity to vote for or not vote for Jonathan Dally, this poll has absolutely no validity.

slostang
October 27th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Dang what the Bison would be willing to do to borrow this guy for a week xlolx Or rather, any of the guys on that list xsmhx

That or a 6th year for Walker. That kid was as cool under pressure as Joe Montana.