PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate you team, what is needed still

mtgrizfan4life
October 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
We are far along in the season to have pretty good idea of our strengths and weaknesses. The GRIZ
Special teams
(1)Coverage teams have improved drastically, and once again are a strength of this team.
(2)We need to drastically improve return blocking to eliminate dumb penalties. The Sac State game was the 1st game this year we did well here. We all seen the difference it made as for field position and the outcome.
(3)Speaking of field position, is there a better team at scheming and execution in getting blocked punts? Once again a huge factor that does not show up on the stat sheets.
(4) We have the right kicker in McKnight in my opinion. He is not the problem. The problem is with kicking as a whole. This unit really struggles to execute in every aspect. One time it is a bad snap, the next bad blocking, the next a bobbled snap, the next a low line drive kick. I hate to say this, but a 3 or 4 FG game is needed to build this units confidence. I hope that comes in a blowout where we have room to work on this. We are strong in 3 of 4, but 4 makes a difference more often than not. This may come back to bite us in a crucial game down the road.

DEFENSE
(1) DL- I am not sure what to make of this unit, but the results have been average. For the most part they play well against the run. Against the pass they are learning to get pressure, but it needs to be more consistent. This unit is awfully close, but just not quite there yet. The last 2 weeks though, I did notice a few stunts. I also am very impressed how well this unit recognizes a screens and rbs flaring out. It is much better than a few years ago when UMASS killed us with those things. IT is also a much better unit in defending option teams. Overall Grade to Date C. Last 2 weeks B. Goal A. To get that A we need to get a few more big hits on the QB

(2) LB's- Once again, not sure what to make of this unit collectively. I really would like to see Severin Campbell become a huge part of this groups rotation. The strength of this group is its speed and being all over the field. As a whole it is not the right mix to play straight up defense that we have become accustomed to. The last 2 weeks Paulson has drastically changed what and how this unit does things. We are lacking in size at LB. We can overcome this if Paulson continues to mix things up by not having have the offense know who is doing what. I have not been able to pay much attention to his LB rotation, but it does seem to me the younger guys are getting more playing time as the year goes on. I know I have been seeing their names/numbers appears alot more often on the internet coverage. I think this rotation will be determined by who we play and what they are doing. Against passing teams (PSU and EWU) we need the small quick guys for coverage. Overall this unit grade is C. Last few weeks B, which I feel is where it will remain. I just do not see the size and experience necessary to get this group to an A. The A happens next year.

(3) DB's- No doubt early this unit was all safety play keeping this unit afloat. No doubt this unit has had its share of growing pains. With that said, the growing pains are nearly complete (I will save my final evaluation on this group against PSU.) They are still too young not to have an occasional mistake or misread. However they are talented and athletic. Early on they were at D to C level. In the last 2 weeks they have been an A (soft A). A+ against EWU, not sure of Sac State. Sac State just did not impress me, I am not sure if the success was more of us, more of them, or combination of both.

However, the improvement of this group is the reason why our DEFENSE has been able to change things up as for scheming and execution. Talent and athletic wise Trumaine Johnson is a true shutdown CB. Swink and Thompson are improving every week too. Athletically this unit is a great one, with experience it can and will only get better. As for Safety play, well that position is an A. Colt is well Colt, argueably the best FCS safety. Schillinger and Stoll are very good as well. Stoll will be an all american type the next few years. Schillinger is always near the ball. If he ever turns his tips/touches into picks, LOOK OUT!
Collectively this unit gets a B right now. IF they keep PSU at bay and reduce big plays, this goes to an A in a heartbeat. With our youth here, this unit will be the strength of GRIZ Defense the next 3 years.

Offense
OL- Too bad football is not an individual sport. The Cal Poly game was an A. Through Weber State game C to D. Last 2 weeks B-. I really am torn and all over the place in evaluating this group. The sacks have reduced the last few games. A few of the EWU sacks were a matter of our playcall was rolling right into their scheme. I will put that more on the coaching than the players. 1/2 the sacks this season were of Cole waiting too long to see if a play would develop. Recently it appears that if the play is not there asap CB is to run or throw it away. Also this unit has been helped drastically in implementing a few slants here and there. I just hope the playcalling continues to implement the simple quick patterns. Right now this unit at a B for pass protection.
This leads to run blocking. I am taking Cole's improvision/scrambling out of this equation. The rbs just are not getting holes often enough to be a threat. Things just are not coming together here. I am not sure where it comes from or what it will take to better the results. The results are way too many short gains or losses, and not enough 5 plus yard runs. Other than the Poly game this unit has struggled in running results. Based on that I grade them C- in runblocking. Potentially this team is more than capable of being an A.

RB's- I like Reynolds alot, and really respect what Schmidt brings to this team. If we could combine the 2 we would have a great rb. TBF will never get back to what he was before his injury. This year, this unit has been a C and will remain a C. The only way it gets better this year is if the OL helps them. What this team lacks can only be improved in the offseason. Chase is learning to hit the hole quick, but just is not yet strong enough to turn short gains into breakaways. His potential is there, but he cannot gain the necessary strenght this year. Based on what I have seen this year, I would get Schulte more involved. Even having him in the slot or in motion opens things up for this offense. Schulte is quick enough to consistently average 5 yards per gain, but once again not strong enough to break away. This unit can improve, but can only do so with better OL play or better playcalling utilizing this group differently.

WR's/TE's- WOW!!!!!! There is no doubt, this group is the Strength of this team. Scary thing is that it has the potential to be much better. Nobody here or anywhere can ? the results of Mariani and Ferriter. So what is wrong and can improve? Player utilization and involvment could use a tweak, especially in the redzone. As stated above in RB's, we need to use Schulte better. I will admit that TE utilization has improved this year compared to the past. Yet utilizing our big TE's and Palmer in the redzone better would drastically improve our redzone offense. Our TE's and Palmer are tough, have size, and are athletic. We have seen CB make the throws to Bagley, Mariani, and Ferriter and just let them make the play. Why haven't we adapted these things to Palmer and or the TE's? Based on Mariani, Ferriter, and the results, this group is an A. The only thing keeping it from an A++++ is player utilization and coaching. Talent wise we have what it takes to make an average running game not be a huge factor. One final request, get KAZ at least one or 2 touches a per game! (I really like this kid).

QB- Does it really matter what I post here. Either way GRIZNATION will not agree here. Depth wise we are fine, both CB and Selle are more than capable. With that said, CB has not done anything to speed up getting Selle on the field more. He has done everything asked of him. His rushing ability is an element that keeps opponents off guard. He takes care of the ball for the most part very well. He leads the team well. He also throws a VERY nice catchable ball, he has great touch when he is given the time. In case you have not noticed, he is the 2nd ranked QB in QB efficiency!!!! People, you do not bench a top 20 ranked qb nationally at any level!!!! I agree Cole has kept the ball too long a few too many times, which is on him and on him only. However, the last few games he has shown marked improvement in that. Also he has great chemistry with Ferriter and Mariani. That chemistry combined with execution is why the GRIZ have so many big plays this year through the air. Mariani, Ferriter, Pfaler, and Palmer have all made long gains this year. We have 3 WR's that have gained over 100 yards in one game or the other this year. The only room for improvement for Cole is redzone efficiency is. Once again, in my opinion that falls on the shoulders of the coaches. We are just fine at QB, I grade it at A. A+ very possible with less sacks and better redzone results.

Summary- The future looks very bright. Special teams has to clear up a few minor things, kicking game and penalties. Defense can only continue to get better. Defense needs to get more QB pressure, make a few more tackles, and create a few more turnovers. Offense we need to work on better running, player utilization, qb sacks, and redzone efficiency. I am beginning to think this team maybe at its best come playoff time. This year we actually match up well with option teams and teams that heavily utilize their RB's. The Portland State and NAU games are the games I will again use as measuring sticks for this years GRIZ. If those game the way I hope, I think this team can be a semifinal team. On the other hand though, if our Pass defense is weak against PSU, this may be a 1 and done playoff team.

furman94
October 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Wow... there goes your Sunday afternoon! :D

mtgrizfan4life
October 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Not really, just watch the NFL games on Sundays anyway. Fortunately, I can type and watch the games at the same time.

hippy@GSU
October 19th, 2008, 04:58 PM
For GSU... 7 more points and you have a team that is leading the SoCon. So close each time, but hey this is a good team!!

mtgrizfan4life
October 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
For GSU... 5 more points and you have a team that is leading the SoCon. So close each time, but hey this is a good team!!

So what things can be done to take it to the highest level?

catamount man
October 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM
offensive linemen
defensive linemen
patience

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

JohnStOnge
October 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM
They played pretty well against UNC to open the season but then McNeese was awful on that side of the ball until yesterday. I don't know if they're getting better and things may change or if Sam Houston State just had a really bad day. Sam Houston State's receivers did not show good hands and that may have helped.

The problem that is most correctable is penalties. McNeese has had more penalties and more penalty yards than its opponent in each of its games this season. They're ranked below 100th in both "fewest penalties per game" and "fewest penalty yards per game" among FCS and transitional FCS team. Yesterday they had a defensive tackle intercept a screen pass and run it back for a TD that would've given them a 21 point lead in the first half and it got called back for roughing the passer.

But I think it's hurt them in most games. They disrupt their own drives a lot with penalties. Way too many false starts and such, I think.

They actually had their best game of the season yesterday in terms of avoiding penalties. They ended up with only 5 for 41 yards. They played pretty clean during the second half.

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
For W&M, a much improved team still needs more defensive consistency, and better special teams play.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Defense.

More passing, less running.

NAU, Weber, and UM to lose.

:D

ASUG8
October 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM
ASU needs to play 4 quarters every game. Pass defense is questionable, and special teams are allowing points to be scored against us. We're young in the secondary, but I don't know what's happening with kick return defense.xconfusedx

darell1976
October 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Offense not too bad I rate them a B- to C+ Defense I rate them a D+. Coaching staff a C its tough to join a new division when its your first year as head coach. On the flip side we still have a lot of D2 players on the roster so as the transition continues and we filter them out our team should improve. Now with our last 4 games vs the FCS and no more D2 teams we should see how good the Sioux really are.

UNCBears2010
October 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
We need some damn luck. We deserved to lose to Weber and Purdue, but we're 3 plays from being 4-2.

danefan
October 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Albany is pretty simple. Its the same thing we've needed for the last 6 years or so....

A passing game.
A pass defense.

Albany would figuring out where they would be sent in the first round if they had that. Instead, the fans are belly up to the bar in Crapsville.

smcwildcat
October 19th, 2008, 06:35 PM
for our better half to show up the whole game....its either ****ty first than good second or visa versa

Husky Alum
October 19th, 2008, 07:04 PM
To play a complete second half of football.

A couple of lock down corners.

Aggressive linebackers.

An on campus stadium.

Funding so we're at the middle of the pack funding wise in the CAA.

Students who don't walk on campus in September and ask "how many more days until the first home hockey game."

A President and Board of Trustees who realize that they fund hockey to a high level because they drink the "we need to to compete in the best hockey conference in the country" Kool Aid, yet when we play FCS football in arguably the "Best FCS football conference in the country", we're funded like we're a student activity.

And no, I'm not bitter!

T-Dog
October 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
1) Better Special Teams play
2) Special Teams to play better
3) Improvement in Special Teams
4) Special Teams Improvement

danefan
October 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM
To play a complete second half of football.

A couple of lock down corners.

Aggressive linebackers.

An on campus stadium.

Funding so we're at the middle of the pack funding wise in the CAA.

Students who don't walk on campus in September and ask "how many more days until the first home hockey game."

A President and Board of Trustees who realize that they fund hockey to a high level because they drink the "we need to to compete in the best hockey conference in the country" Kool Aid, yet when we play FCS football in arguably the "Best FCS football conference in the country", we're funded like we're a student activity.

And no, I'm not bitter!

Shoot I didn't know we were going that far.....I'll add a few more:

33 more scholarships.
A stadium.
A local newspaper that doesn't have a financial interest in our neighbor school.

That would be nice.

BisonBacker
October 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Pretty simple for NDSU
1. We need a QB who can tell the difference between our jersey and the opponents.
2. Coaching staff that knows how to call more then 6 or 7 plays.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Pass DEFENSE........and more punts to Scotty!!!!

Go Dukes.

mainejeff
October 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
A head coach.

xcoffeex

UNCBears2010
October 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
A head coach.

xcoffeex

UNC fans second that. Wanna trade coaches?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
UNC fans second that. Wanna trade coaches?

Joe Glenn may be available after this year.......I hope he stays though. All of Wyoming's problems aren't his fault.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
two words: consistent defense

B&G
October 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
For ASU...

Coaching (C): By no means am I going to imply Jerry Moore isn't a good coach. That's silly. But there are some things happening this season that has to fall squarely on the shoulders of the coach. Apparently they need to dedicate more time to special teams in practice or they need to figure out the right personnel. Additionally, it has to fall on the coaching staff that the team will take big leads in the first half and lose their focus/intensity in the 2nd. And I don't know where else to put this but penalties have been killer this season. Also, would it hurt to blitz once in a while? The four man rush isn't getting it done.

QB (B+): Armanti has gotten into the groove it appears after starting the season slow. We all know about his athletic ability but he has the added intangible of being clutch. Minor nitpicking is he will lock in on a WR (usually CoCo) and he tends to overthrow open receivers due to his mechanics of throwing on the run. But I wouldn't trade him for anyone else and I fully expect that B+ to be an A at the end of the season. DeAndre Pressley has looked good at times in mopup duty. At this point I don't see him pinch hitting like Trey Elder could but he does display some Armanti-ish qualities which bodes well for the future.

RB (B-): Devin Radford has turned into our new gamechanger in the mold of Dexter Jackson. Defenses can not lose sight of him. Welton has been an effective bruising runner. And Josh Jackson made the most of his time against GA Southern. The flaw is this unit has been fumble-prone. If they protect the ball better (especially Welton), then I see this unti being another A at the end of the season.

WR (C): Josh Johnson is the only guy I trust not to drop the ball. CoCo has clutch qualities but he drops too many easy passes. BJ Frazier is upping is game. Glad to see TJ Courman making a couple of plays lately. TE Ben Jordan has been solid. The rest of the guys have been pretty average. Their play is trending upward however and I am happy to see them lobbing it to Brian Quick.

OL (B-): They have been inconsistant. I think if App didn't have the athlete they have in the backfield, then the OL would look a lot worse.

DEF (Incomplete): The D giveths and they taketh away. The pass rush has been lackluster. They give up too many big passes. Yet they get the job done. The secondary has shown a lot of promise. The LB's are steady. The DL has felt the sting of injuries. I don't know what grade to give.

K/P (C+): Neil Young gets an A, Jason Vitaris gets a D. Missing XP's isn't acceptable.

The main issue has been Special Teams and Coaching. Are the players going to step up and provide leadership? Who is going to step up and make sure the younger players don't lose their intensity?

Hoseinexile07
October 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Two words: any defense. :( xsmhx xnonono2x xbangx xprayx xflamemadx xsplatx

Wolfman
October 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=mtgrizfan4life;1160527]We are far along in the season to have pretty good idea of our strengths and weaknesses. The GRIZ
Special teams
(1)Coverage teams have improved drastically, and once again are a strength of this team.

(4) We have the right kicker in McKnight in my opinion. He is not the problem. The problem is with kicking as a whole. This unit really struggles to execute in every aspect. One time it is a bad snap, the next bad blocking, the next a bobbled snap, the next a low line drive kick. I hate to say this, but a 3 or 4 FG game is needed to build this units confidence. I hope that comes in a blowout where we have room to work on this. We are strong in 3 of 4, but 4 makes a difference more often than not. This may come back to bite us in a crucial game down the road.

DEFENSE
(1) DL- I am not sure what to make of this unit, but the results have been average. For the most part they play well against the run. Against the pass they are learning to get pressure, but it needs to be more consistent. This unit is awfully close, but just not quite there yet. The last 2 weeks though, I did notice a few stunts. I also am very impressed how well this unit recognizes a screens and rbs flaring out. It is much better than a few years ago when UMASS killed us with those things. IT is also a much better unit in defending option teams. Overall Grade to Date C. Last 2 weeks B. Goal A. To get that A we need to get a few more big hits on the QB

(2) LB's- Once again, not sure what to make of this unit collectively. I really would like to see Severin Campbell become a huge part of this groups rotation. The strength of this group is its speed and being all over the field. As a whole it is not the right mix to play straight up defense that we have become accustomed to. The last 2 weeks Paulson has drastically changed what and how this unit does things. We are lacking in size at LB. We can overcome this if Paulson continues to mix things up by not having have the offense know who is doing what. I have not been able to pay much attention to his LB rotation, but it does seem to me the younger guys are getting more playing time as the year goes on. I know I have been seeing their names/numbers appears alot more often on the internet coverage. I think this rotation will be determined by who we play and what they are doing. Against passing teams (PSU and EWU) we need the small quick guys for coverage. Overall this unit grade is C. Last few weeks B, which I feel is where it will remain. I just do not see the size and experience necessary to get this group to an A. The A happens next year.

(3) DB's- No doubt early this unit was all safety play keeping this unit afloat. No doubt this unit has had its share of growing pains. With that said, the growing pains are nearly complete (I will save my final evaluation on this group against PSU.) They are still too young not to have an occasional mistake or misread. However they are talented and athletic. Early on they were at D to C level. In the last 2 weeks they have been an A (soft A). A+ against EWU, not sure of Sac State. Sac State just did not impress me, I am not sure if the success was more of us, more of them, or combination of both.

However, the improvement of this group is the reason why our DEFENSE has been able to change things up as for scheming and execution. Talent and athletic wise Trumaine Johnson is a true shutdown CB. Swink and Thompson are improving every week too. Athletically this unit is a great one, with experience it can and will only get better. As for Safety play, well that position is an A. Colt is well Colt, argueably the best FCS safety. Schillinger and Stoll are very good as well. Stoll will be an all american type the next few years. Schillinger is always near the ball. If he ever turns his tips/touches into picks, LOOK OUT!
Collectively this unit gets a B right now. IF they keep PSU at bay and reduce big plays, this goes to an A in a heartbeat. With our youth here, this unit will be the strength of GRIZ Defense the next 3 years.

Offense
OL- Too bad football is not an individual sport. The Cal Poly game was an A. Through Weber State game C to D. Last 2 weeks B-. I really am torn and all over the place in evaluating this group. The sacks have reduced the last few games. A few of the EWU sacks were a matter of our playcall was rolling right into their scheme. I will put that more on the coaching than the players. 1/2 the sacks this season were of Cole waiting too long to see if a play would develop. Recently it appears that if the play is not there asap CB is to run or throw it away. Also this unit has been helped drastically in implementing a few slants here and there. I just hope the playcalling continues to implement the simple quick patterns. Right now this unit at a B for pass protection.
This leads to run blocking. I am taking Cole's improvision/scrambling out of this equation. The rbs just are not getting holes often enough to be a threat. Things just are not coming together here. I am not sure where it comes from or what it will take to better the results. The results are way too many short gains or losses, and not enough 5 plus yard runs. Other than the Poly game this unit has struggled in running results. Based on that I grade them C- in runblocking. Potentially this team is more than capable of being an A.

RB's- I like Reynolds alot, and really respect what Schmidt brings to this team. If we could combine the 2 we would have a great rb. TBF will never get back to what he was before his injury. This year, this unit has been a C and will remain a C. The only way it gets better this year is if the OL helps them. What this team lacks can only be improved in the offseason. Chase is learning to hit the hole quick, but just is not yet strong enough to turn short gains into breakaways. His potential is there, but he cannot gain the necessary strenght this year. Based on what I have seen this year, I would get Schulte more involved. Even having him in the slot or in motion opens things up for this offense. Schulte is quick enough to consistently average 5 yards per gain, but once again not strong enough to break away. This unit can improve, but can only do so with better OL play or better playcalling utilizing this group differently.

WR's/TE's- WOW!!!!!! There is no doubt, this group is the Strength of this team. Scary thing is that it has the potential to be much better. Nobody here or anywhere can ? the results of Mariani and Ferriter. So what is wrong and can improve? Player utilization and involvment could use a tweak, especially in the redzone. As stated above in RB's, we need to use Schulte better. I will admit that TE utilization has improved this year compared to the past. Yet utilizing our big TE's and Palmer in the redzone better would drastically improve our redzone offense. Our TE's and Palmer are tough, have size, and are athletic. We have seen CB make the throws to Bagley, Mariani, and Ferriter and just let them make the play. Why haven't we adapted these things to Palmer and or the TE's? Based on Mariani, Ferriter, and the results, this group is an A. The only thing keeping it from an A++++ is player utilization and coaching. Talent wise we have what it takes to make an average running game not be a huge factor. One final request, get KAZ at least one or 2 touches a per game! (I really like this kid).

QB- Does it really matter what I post here. Either way GRIZNATION will not agree here. Depth wise we are fine, both CB and Selle are more than capable. With that said, CB has not done anything to speed up getting Selle on the field more. He has done everything asked of him. His rushing ability is an element that keeps opponents off guard. He takes care of the ball for the most part very well. He leads the team well. He also throws a VERY nice catchable ball, he has great touch when he is given the time. In case you have not noticed, he is the 2nd ranked QB in QB efficiency!!!! People, you do not bench a top 20 ranked qb nationally at any level!!!! I agree Cole has kept the ball too long a few too many times, which is on him and on him only. However, the last few games he has shown marked improvement in that.

What the Griz still need:

1) an offensive line coach who knows how to teach kids to recognize stunts, block as a unit, and sustain blocks. Our O-line lacks good technique and relies solely on athleticism, which is why we look so good on some plays, and look like a sieve on others.

2) a FG unit that is cohesive, from a good snap, to blocking, to consistant kicking. It will cost us big-time if we make the playoffs.

3) A defense that can stop a "grind-it-out" running game. So far this season, the Griz have not faced a really great running team. In the only game in which our opponent featured the run, Trevyn Smith of Weber made us look very bad.

Our linebackers are not very physical, and any great running team will give us fits come play-off time. Just pray that we do not have to play Wofford again. They will score 50 against this defense.

4) A FCS caliber running back

I see that you made a similar post on the Griz message board, and had to beg for any poster to offer a response there. It is quite evident that the strong-handed tactics by the board moderators there, and a banning of objective posters, who may not support the "popular viewpoint" has led to a rapid decline in both the quantity and quality of posts there. Too bad that a few whiners, and a gutless group of moderators have runined a great message board.

We can only hope that freedom of speech continues to be protected on this board, so that descenting opinions may be expressed without recourse.

I am Wolfman, and I support the contents of this message.....

RazorEdge19
October 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Coaching: Wofford has Coach Ayers, and he's 5-1 with a team that many thought would be in the middle of the conference or lower...

Offense: The OL has allowed 1 sack all season, that was to South Carolina. They've paved the road for a young group of backs and a new QB to the tune of the #2 running game in the nation. Even South Carolina's defense had trouble with Wofford's Offense.

Defense: Consistency. The young guys have shown they can play, now they need to prove they can do it against even better talent and win. If they keep causing turnovers at this rate, though, Wofford could very well be +22 or more by season's end...

JALMOND
October 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I have seen a lot of improvement between this year as compared to last year for Portland State. Still, we are a long way from where we need to be in my opinion. Some of these things are:

1) Experience---A lot of freshmen and sophomores playing this year.

2) An understanding of what is takes to win on the road---We are currently 2-0 at home and 0-4 on the road.

3) Live with Hubel at QB---Howland is fine and they grade out pretty close every week, but let Hubel grow and mature with the rest of the young team.

4) Less input from the head coach on offense---Glanville himself said that we won the EWU game because he didn't call a single offensive play. At NAU, he's the one who replaced Hubel.

To Glanville and Davis' credit, they are figuring out what it takes to win in the Big Sky. They never did sit on the ball in the EWU game, they kept attacking. This was a glaring weakness last year, so much that it seemed that they did not want to embarrass anyone, yet they were the ones who were being embarrassed.

elon77
October 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM
A win over Wofford and ASU.

letsgopards04
October 20th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Offense: It seems that this year's O-line has not been quite as dominant as recent years leading to a running that doesn't allow us to be as one dimensional. As always at Lafayette, QB consistency is always an issue.

Defense: Although the 'Pards are at or near the top in scoring defense, the bend but don't break philosophy (as evidenced by Liberty gaining almost 500 yards and still losing) can only last for so long. The DL needs to get more pressure on the QB so we don't have to blitz as much.

Coaching: The staff needs to keep the pressure on. We have a tendency to get a lead and then play not to lose. We even did it somewhat against Liberty. We need to keep the hammer down and not let up.

813Jag
October 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Offense is pretty steady, but they have to be consistent on third downs and quit leaving so many points on the field. Saturday night they at least 3 TDs on the field. (Failed 4th down at the 1, Dropped pass heading into the endzone, and a fumble at the 1)

Defense has to contain running QBs, plain and simple.

Brad82
October 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Rhody needs a defense.

wapiti
October 20th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Montana State needs secondary coverage and the ability to stop 3rd down conversions. xbawlingx

On offense they need receivers that can get open and catch the ball. xbawlingx

MSU has a good running game and a pretty good run defense. :)

MacThor
October 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Offense: Better situational awareness from Ward. He's turned out to be a much better QB than I thought. However, for such a mobile QB he takes bad sacks (takes UR out of FG range, for example). He gets a lot of time from the OL so he needs that clock in his head that says "just throw the ball away." Also, I hate 3rd-down passing plays that when completed are short of the marker, and you have to hope your receiver can run for it. We call those a lot.

Other than that, not a lot to complain about the offense. They have looked strong at all positions against possibly the toughest schedule in FCS to date.

Defense: Better tackling from certain players. Too many plays that could have been negative yardage end up burning them. The linebackers need to get healthy after what should be an easy game against G'town and a bye week. Oh, and stop using the prevent "D." It gave up the only TD against UMass this week, it cost them the JMU game last week and Towson last year.

This team could still contend for the FCS title.

biggie
October 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Besides the special teams and fundamentals (penalties), App needs to get healthy. The most injuries to key players that I've ever seen.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM
UNH needs to play with the intensity displayed during the second half at Northeastern and clean up all the freaking penalties. That would reduce all the "no defense" issues as well as increase our scoring production and improve TOP.

Eaglesrus
October 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
For GSU... 7 more points and you have a team that is leading the SoCon. So close each time, but hey this is a good team!!

So what things can be done to take it to the highest level?

Maturity and better decision-making.

ChickenMan
October 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
1.. a starting QB

2.. a backup QB

3.. another QB

xbawlingx

MSUBear42
October 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Missouri State: Help Wanted on Defense.

That said, our D has improved each and every game, but we're still giving up WAY to many yards. We still run a 3-man front even when the other team is consistently rushing for 200+ yards against us.

Give us a decent defence and we'd be a contender.

stevdock
October 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Pretty simple for NDSU
1. We need a QB who can tell the difference between our jersey and the opponents.
2. Coaching staff that knows how to call more then 6 or 7 plays.

Hopefully you don't mind me adding some heart, passion, and fire for the game. Haven't seen any of that this year.

Walkon79
October 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
- Another year of Ash recruits like the 2008 class
- Another year of experience for Kempt and Thomas, which will be a good combination for the Cats going forward.
- More beef up front on the OL (Maybe some JC kids for 2009)

We've been exposed as pretenders in 2008, due to inconsistent play on the offensive side, and lack of depth on the defensive side. We;re not that far away though.

bodoyle
October 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
- Someone who does not go vanilla with a lead
- A kid who can kick a FG
- A HEALTHY DEFENSE
- Team Speed
- LEADERSHIP
- LEADERSHIP
- LEADERSHIP

ur2k
October 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I'd like to see Richmond not play soft and give up points towards the end of the half and end of game ... See the punt block that led to a TD vs Elon at the end of the half, the debacle at the end of the JMU game and the TD given up at the end of the 1st half of the UMASS game to give them some momentum in a game we were dominating.

Earlier, I would've said our O-line but that unit seems to have worked out their issues. The only weakness I've seen in the last few game is strength up the middle on D. We need to tackle and contain the run better.

McNeeseState311
October 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
They played pretty well against UNC to open the season but then McNeese was awful on that side of the ball until yesterday. I don't know if they're getting better and things may change or if Sam Houston State just had a really bad day. Sam Houston State's receivers did not show good hands and that may have helped.

The problem that is most correctable is penalties. McNeese has had more penalties and more penalty yards than its opponent in each of its games this season. They're ranked below 100th in both "fewest penalties per game" and "fewest penalty yards per game" among FCS and transitional FCS team. Yesterday they had a defensive tackle intercept a screen pass and run it back for a TD that would've given them a 21 point lead in the first half and it got called back for roughing the passer.

But I think it's hurt them in most games. They disrupt their own drives a lot with penalties. Way too many false starts and such, I think.

They actually had their best game of the season yesterday in terms of avoiding penalties. They ended up with only 5 for 41 yards. They played pretty clean during the second half.

I agree with the penalies and I think the Defense will improve game by game. Right now I am just shocked with Bercegay.

footballer23
October 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
We might be getting one of the things we need at NDSU... a fresh face at QB. It looks like coach Bohl is considering removing the redshirt of our freshman QB Jose Mohler. http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=219149

McNeese75
October 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I agree with the penalies and I think the Defense will improve game by game. Right now I am just shocked with Bercegay.

xrolleyesx

It's "Bercegeay" and I know what ya mean.

sharkeycox
October 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
McNeese has a terrific offense and can hurt you may ways.

Our defense can not defend the spread offense. If we can not pressure the QB, and he is any good, he will pick us apart.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Better special teams.

Scholarships.

More fannies in the seats.

DLS
November 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
still need a better kicker, less penalties, and the defense to stop giving up the 3 or 4 big plays a game.

ekufbfan
November 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
New offensive coordinator
New offense

Tod
November 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Better special teams.

Scholarships.

More fannies in the seats.

13 Months for a response? Been busy? ;)

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
If we are so blessed, AE and Appalachian would like a 'do-over' against the Spidahs. That's what we need.

But there is a lot of ball to be played before then (if it ever happens) so I'll settle for a healthy AE and competent defensive line play.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2009, 04:17 PM
13 Months for a response? Been busy? ;)

Pensive.

Go...gate put a lot of thought into the question. :D

BEAR
November 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Um...let's see....where do I start?.....:pumpuke:

slostang
November 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
For 2010 Cal Poly needs a QB who can both run the triple option and make a defense pay with his arm when they stack the box to stop the run. On defense they needs a few big DT to run their new 4-3 defense.

19Duke97
November 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
No QB controversy and more wins.. xnonono2x

09griz
November 20th, 2009, 05:03 PM
A win against Villanova

SCPALADIN
November 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Some may say a new HC (obviously not Appy fans).

I tend to beleive we need a new DC...the 4-2-5 sucks.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
For the Griz to start playing in the 1st Quarter tomorrow, instead of the 3rd.

Nichols, Jones, and Sherritt will do the rest.

UNHFan
November 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM
A quarterback who can through the ball!! Note to RJ... Please when throwing your 3 int's today can you just have a UNH Rec within 10 yards so we can have a clue who your intended to throw too?? And try to keep the Over/Under throws under 15 today that would be an improvement!

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM
1.. a starting QB

2.. a backup QB

3.. another QB

xbawlingx

if we have anything, it's a starting QB

OL FU
November 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM
We need next year to finally get here:o