PDA

View Full Version : WIU Questions

Superneck
October 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
just two really...

1. anyone know why Zack Wells got the start at QB instead of Matt Barr, other than perhaps it was because we were playing Indiana State?

2. If WIU doesn't win conference, will the fact that they had only an 11 game schedule this year hurt their chances of getting an at large?

RabidRabbit
October 19th, 2008, 09:29 AM
just two really...

1. anyone know why Zack Wells got the start at QB instead of Matt Barr, other than perhaps it was because we were playing Indiana State?

2. If WIU doesn't win conference, will the fact that they had only an 11 game schedule this year hurt their chances of getting an at large?

1) Didn't want to risk Barr injury vs a "sure" win.

2) Not nearly as much as the game vs Quincy. (Play an all D-I next year)

WIUFan
October 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
1) Per the pre-game show, Barr could have played, but the coaches decided not to play him against ISU Blue. He has a left shoulder contusion, and will be ready to go against UNI.

2) Yeah they should have just picked an OVC team instead of Quincy, but oh well. The next two games against UNI and SIU will be make or break. A win against either and finishing out strongly against YSU and ISU will really throw the commitee into a bind. And that is not counting SDSU, whos playoff hopes might be in jeporady with the loss against Cal Poly, but they could still be a factor since they beat WIU.

In short, a WIU win against both UNI and SIU would assure a playoff spot, assuming they get the job done against YSU and ISU red. A win and a loss and everything else going as expected will mean the victor of UNI/SIU vs WIU would obviously be in the playoffs, and create something of a tie with the UNI/SIU looser and WIU. There will probably be only one at large spot too, but there is a lot of football left to play. And... what if SDSU beats SIU...

BTW, check out http://www.leathernecknation.com WIU fans around here, I don't know if you guys know about it or not.

Chi Panther
October 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think SDSU is out, 4 losses already and plaing at SIU and NDSU is TOUGH.

Comes down to UNI, SIU and WIU. Only 2 teams get in IMO.

JackTwice
October 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
If SDSU wins conference three teams get in. If not only two MVFC teams. I'll be cheering for WIU to take out UNI and hope that SDSU can win the games its supposed to over the next three weeks and then gels enough to take out NDSU and SIU on the road.

That's easy enough, right? xnutsx

crunifan
October 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM
If UNI loses to Western Illinois, but wins out (against Youngstown State, Missouri State, Indiana State, and Southern Utah), we will be 9-3.

Do you guys honestly think a 9-3 UNI will not be selected for the play-offs?

Superneck
October 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I remember when NDSU and SDSU joined the conference, I had mixed feelings. It certainly made the conference stronger from top to bottom, but then...is that a GOOD thing? Unlike the FBS, is it not unrealistic to expect 4 teams to come out of one conference for the playoffs, even IF the 4th team on that list could very well be stronger than the top 1 if not 2 from other conferences? I guess I think of the scenario where lets say NDSU and SDSU were still in Great West and atop the conference. Lets say they both get in and the top two in Missouri Valley get in. Well that certainly will NOT happen with a conference that has NDSU, SDSU, UNI, SIU, WIU and perennial YSU...at least it would not happen without someone crying foul, regardless of how strong those 4 teams may be. Has there ever been a FCS conference that got more than 3 in?

Chi Panther
October 19th, 2008, 04:48 PM
If SDSU wins conference three teams get in. If not only two MVFC teams. I'll be cheering for WIU to take out UNI and hope that SDSU can win the games its supposed to over the next three weeks and then gels enough to take out NDSU and SIU on the road.

That's easy enough, right? xnutsx

IF SDSU wins the conf....they will be the only MVFC bid.....xoopsx

leatherneck177
October 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I think an 8-3 Leatherneck team would be tough to keep out of the playoffs.

JayJ79
October 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Has there ever been a FCS conference that got more than 3 in?

The Gateway/MVFC had 4 teams in the playoffs in 2003.
And the CAA had 5 in 2007.