And the plot thickens....

GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

Discuss!

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Despite what happens, it appears as though at least 4 SoCon teams are still alive and well for the playoffs. Two last year was just not enough.

GATA
October 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM

GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

Discuss!

GSU

Samford

App State

Wofford

catamount man
October 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Elon over Wofford
Samford over The Citadel
App over Furman

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

theasushow
October 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
asu should outscore furman.
gsu will get a well deserved win that wont be close.
the citadel and samford is actually an intriguing matchup, looks like the citadel may have already started packing it up, ill give the edge to samford who has played all year like they had a chip on their shoulders.
elon and wofford looks like a shootout, wofford knows they will probably need atleast a 50-50 split against asu and elon the next 2 weeks, i think their run game will be too much for elon. wofford has the ball last and pulls away with the w.

RazorEdge19
October 18th, 2008, 11:07 PM

GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

Discuss!

Georgia Southern @ Western Carolina

Its been a tough season for GSU. They're 4 total points away from beating the top three conference opponents. Meanwhile, Western showed that they are still coming to play every Saturday despite the loss to Wofford. GSU will take out their frustration on Western's defense, the key to the game is whether or not Western's offense will follow suit.

El Cid @ Samford

Citadel has to be the most disappointing team this year, simply because of the pre-season expectations. Samford has shown they belong in the SoCon, and they've had a bye week to prepare for The Citadel. Samford will come to play at home, the key is whether Citadel can match the intensity.

Furman @ App

App's game against GSU was one of the best so far this season. GSU gave App all they could handle, and now they have to go back home and defend the Rock against a desperate Furman team. If Furman loses, they are out. Each team's defense is the key to this game. Whoever can slow down the opposing offense.

Wofford @ Elon

...and it all comes down to this. Elon put together a good game versus UTC this past week. Wofford has been rolling for the past two weeks. Elon's offense has been putting up yards like crazy, but hasn't been scoring as much as you would expect. Wofford's offense has been doing both. Elon's only loss is to Richmond. Wofford's only loss is to South Carolina, and is likely still sour from the 2007 game. Both teams should come to play. The key to this game is Wofford's defense. Their red zone defense has been exceptional so far this season, and it will be put to the test this week. How it answers this test will determine the victor.

Dinman31
October 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Its been a tough season for GSU. They're 4 total points away from beating the top three conference opponents. Meanwhile, Western showed that they are still coming to play every Saturday despite the loss to Wofford. GSU will take out their frustration on Western's defense, the key to the game is whether or not Western's offense will follow suit.

El Cid @ Samford

Citadel has to be the most disappointing team this year, simply because of the pre-season expectations. Samford has shown they belong in the SoCon, and they've had a bye week to prepare for The Citadel. Samford will come to play at home, the key is whether Citadel can match the intensity.

Furman @ App

App's game against GSU was one of the best so far this season. GSU gave App all they could handle, and now they have to go back home and defend the Rock against a desperate Furman team. If Furman loses, they are out. Each team's defense is the key to this game. Whoever can slow down the opposing offense.

Wofford @ Elon

...and it all comes down to this. Elon put together a good game versus UTC this past week. Wofford has been rolling for the past two weeks. Elon's offense has been putting up yards like crazy, but hasn't been scoring as much as you would expect. Wofford's offense has been doing both. Elon's only loss is to Richmond. Wofford's only loss is to South Carolina, and is likely still sour from the 2007 game. Both teams should come to play. The key to this game is Wofford's defense. Their red zone defense has been exceptional so far this season, and it will be put to the test this week. How it answers this test will determine the victor.

I don't think Furman is a desperate team at this point. They would be 6-3 if they lost at ASU and still very much in the playoff picture.

FurmanPaladins4138
October 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM
If Furman loses, they are out.

How do you figure??

RazorEdge19
October 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
How do you figure??

Conference race, not the playoffs. I should have clarified that.

gophoenix
October 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I dunno. All I can really say too is that our run defense has been pretty good since the GSU game. But, right now, Wofford is the team to beat. App just doesn't look like a team who has it all together to me. And Elon can march down the field pretty much at will but chokes in the red zone constantly.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
App/Furman should be another classic. The game will probably come down to who makes one more big play, just like normal.

The Cats
October 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
App/Furman should be another classic. The game will probably come down to who makes one more big play, just like normal.

I'm thinking big win for the apps.....

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm thinking big win for the apps.....

It may well be, but history doesn't exactly back you up. Furman is plenty good enough to win in Boone.

LarryBoy
October 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Remember that last year, App only beat a 3-4 Furman team by 7. This year we roll in at 6-2, and 5 of those wins were solid wins over good opponents or blowouts. Don't ever count the 'Dins out.

ASUG8
October 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I don't count anyone out. GSU is a good team, but their record doesn't reflect it. They are taking every team to the mat, and they certainly have my respect.

As for the Furman game (which I just found out I have freebie 50 yd. line tix and a parking passxthumbsupx ) this is about as much of a rivalry as ASU/GSU so the gloves are off. I expect Furman to give App all they can handle, but expect App to win it by 7-10 pts.

The game to watch this week will be Elon/Wofford. I haven't followed them enough to make a choice, but based on what I've read here it looks like this will be the toughest test both teams have faced this season.

SCPALADIN
October 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Furman @ App

Desperate?!?
If Furman loses they are out!?! Out of what?
How do you figure?
If we lose to App and then win out we'll have 3 losses overall with two in the conference. That would, normally, result in an at-large bid. Out of the SoCon championship...probably...but not the playoff race.

ASU88
October 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM
GSU @ WCU
GSU gets some schedule relief and a much-needed win.

El Cid @ Samford
If I was going to pick an upset this week, this would be it. I think El Cid gets in done, but I am impressed with Samford so far.

Furman @ App St
I like our chances if we only give up one special teams TD.

Wofford @ Elon
Toss up, but I'll give a slight edge to Wofford.

ASU88
October 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
As for the Furman game (which I just found out I have freebie 50 yd. line tix and a parking passxthumbsupx ) this is about as much of a rivalry as ASU/GSU so the gloves are off. I expect Furman to give App all they can handle, but expect App to win it by 7-10 pts.

Nice!!! Be sure to come by our "Men's Town '08" tailgate I was telling you about during the LSU game.

SU DOG
October 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM
GSU
SAMFORD
ASU
ELON

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
1.Hopefully GSU will take care of business
2. I really think El Cid will bounce back and win by 14.
3. I'd like for Furman to win in Boone, but don't think they will.
4. Don't know who I want to win Wofford-Elon, but I think Elon will win in a close one.

Jiggs
October 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
GSU
Samford
ASU
Wofford

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
GSU- closer than the experts think at first than GSU pulls away

The Citadel- potential upset regardless

App- Don't know what to think of Furman

Wofford-last year had we not made so many mistakes we would have won. This year we're better and we don't make mistakes, We'll want blood in this one. I also am a strong believer that a team that runs the ball great has a better chance of winning than a team that passes great, because of TOP.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

fuEMO
October 19th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I really like the fact that no one knows what to think of Furman. And I think you can add APP to to that way of thinking too.

I'm not buying that APP is a given to outscore Furman. Furman made the decision to go back to playing physical football against Citadel and I think Citadel was over matched. Furman's OL played with two rotations, Citadel appeared to be frustrated as Furman commanded the line of scrimmage. Citadel had no answer for our tightends Truss/Hedden/Skogan and our freshman receiver Hendrix, too.

APP will surely be the heavy favorite… and they deserve it but Furman is young, talented and finding its identity just like last season.

And btw… Jordan Sorrells is a darn good QB.

Saint3333
October 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Furman is young, talented and finding its identity just like last season.

You can say that about most of the teams in the SoCon (GSU, Elon, and ASU are all very young).

ASU has 12 starters who are Freshman or Sophomores and only 5 seniors.

The SoCon teams that other conferences played in September should be much better in December (which ever teams make the playoffs).

Should be a good one in Boone this weekend, I hope the Furman fans that make the trip like the new stadium.

furman94
October 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I cant wait! Were coming up on Friday and staying in a cabin about an hour outside of the boone-docks... :D

fuEMO
October 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
You can say that about most of the teams in the SoCon (GSU, Elon, and ASU are all very young).

ASU has 12 starters who are Freshman or Sophomores and only 5 seniors.

The SoCon teams that other conferences played in September should be much better in December (which ever teams make the playoffs).

Should be a good one in Boone this weekend, I hope the Furman fans that make the trip like the new stadium.

Just a little comparison of classes between APP and Furman, based on game participation.

58 players participated for APP vs GSU:
12 FR
19 SO
16 JR
11 SR

56 players participated for Furman vs CIT
18 FR
7 SO
17 JR
14 SR

I don't know the rest of the background for APP but Furman has 15 players redshirting plus RJ Webb should receive a medical redshirt.

furman94
October 19th, 2008, 04:27 PM
We should be stacked next year!

ElonPride
October 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
GSU- closer than the experts think at first than GSU pulls away

The Citadel- potential upset regardless

App- Don't know what to think of Furman

Wofford-last year had we not made so many mistakes we would have won. This year we're better and we don't make mistakes, We'll want blood in this one. I also am a strong believer that a team that runs the ball great has a better chance of winning than a team that passes great, because of TOP.

1st off, you made so many mistakes because you faced a WELL prepared defense last year.

Secondly, Elon HAS a running game now. Over the course of the last 6 games, the team is averaging over 200 yards on teh ground. Elon is becoming a very well balanced team.

This one is too close to call.....

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Are either of the big games going to be on TV?

fuEMO
October 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
We should be stacked next year!

Think about the offense for next season.

QB: Sorrells
TB: Mike Brown, LaFrance, Baker and redshirt Lernard
FB: Coleman plus combo TB/FB Uhaa
WR: Webb, Mims, Hendrix, Cunningham, Gordan and redshirt McFadden
TE: Hedden 6-5, Truss 6-4, Skogen 6-4, and redshirt Silverstien 6-5

furman94
October 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
WOW!

furman94
October 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Are either of the big games going to be on TV?

Dont know about Elon/WoofWooford, but Apple vs Furman isnt! xmadx

appstate38
October 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I dunno. All I can really say too is that our run defense has been pretty good since the GSU game. But, right now, Wofford is the team to beat. App just doesn't look like a team who has it all together to me. And Elon can march down the field pretty much at will but chokes in the red zone constantly.

I was about to call bull on this statement about the Phoenix D. But the latest SoCon stats seem to support your claim about your D. But you will be facing one of the top 2 offenses in the SoCon this weekend. Wofford and App are the top 2 offenses in Scoring, Rushing and Total offense! A game on defense is a must if you expect to win.

catamount man
October 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Wofford-Elon on SportSouth Directv channel 649, 3pm. No tv for ASU-Furman. 1st time since, I believe, 1997.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

furman94
October 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I hate that it isnt on TV! What lunatic put FU/Chatty on TV over FU/ASU?

seantaylor
October 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Just a little comparison of classes between APP and Furman, based on game participation.

12 FR
19 SO
16 JR
11 SR

18 FR
7 SO
17 JR
14 SR

I don't know the rest of the background for APP but Furman has 15 players redshirting plus RJ Webb should receive a medical redshirt.

GSU played 33 freshman this week.

jhbeagle
October 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
GSU 40 @ WCU 17
El Cid 24 @ Samford 21
Furman 35 @ App 38
Wofford 28 @ Elon 35

matfu
October 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Wofford over Elon 35-21

App over Furman 35-14

SCPALADIN
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I hate that it isnt on TV! What lunatic put FU/Chatty on TV over FU/ASU?

A few weeks ago I heard that App was approached about changing the kickoff time so that the game could be televised. Apparently App said, "no thanks". Maybe there will be free streaming video on the internet.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I was about to call bull on this statement about the Phoenix D. But the latest SoCon stats seem to support your claim about your D. But you will be facing one of the top 2 offenses in the SoCon this weekend. Wofford and App are the top 2 offenses in Scoring, Rushing and Total offense! A game on defense is a must if you expect to win.

And Elon is top in the conference in total defense and scoring defense!! xsmiley_wix

jus10asu
October 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

appmaj
October 20th, 2008, 09:08 AM
GSU 42 @ WCU 7
El Cid 27 @ Samford 21
Furman 30 @ App 41
Wofford 34 @ Elon 31

AppChicago
October 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
GSU 35 @ WCU 7
GaSo is a solid team this year, regardless of record. Western... isn't. Sorry, WCU.

El Cid 28 @ Samford 31
Samford plays hard, and while I think The Citadel is arguably the superior team, I think Samford's got an upset up their sleeve.

Furman 28 @ App 42
Well, App should win this. They've shown some inconsistency, but I think they can handle FU. However, I'm going to be at this game in person, and considering the fact that the last game I attended at the Rock was last year's GA Southern game, I should probably stay home.

Wofford 35 @ Elon 34
This'll be a shootout between the two SoCon teams that scare me the most. I think Wofford wins it by one.

beauvighn
October 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM
GSU puts it together against WCU 42-14
Samford wins another by putting Le Citadel closer to the bottom than the top of the SoCon 21-14
APPY will be all over the Furples. 49-7
Wofford in a close one 42-40

PhoenixPhan06
October 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM

GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

Discuss!

GSU @ WCU: Wish I could have been in Paulson this weekend to see another great chapter in the GSU vs ASU rivalry. I think this rivalry deserves a nickname, the "Battle of the Border" sounds good to me. GSU takes out a LOT of frustration in this one, sorry WCU, you're gonna be hurtin for a while after this one.
GSU 42 WCU 14

The Citadel @ Samford: Expectations, smexpectations. I see this as a matchup of the overrated vs the underrated and give the upperhand to Samford and their massive O-Line in this one.

Samford 31 CIT 27

Furman @ App State: I like the idea of an upset here and have to give the edge to Furman after ASU gave it their all in Statesboro and squeeked out a win.

Furman 24 ASU 21

SoCon, FCS Game of the Week

Wofford @ Elon: Two top 5 teams go head to head in the biggest game to date in the SoCon in front of a sold out crowd and the cameras of Sports South. I can't stop drooling over this game and can't wait to get to my seats for whats sure to be a classic! Ultimately, Elon's balanced offense and stout defense will be too much to handle.

Elon 34 Wofford 24

Edge316007
October 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Georgia Southern over Western
App over Furman
Citadel over Samford
Elon over Wofford

OL FU
October 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Well late to the party as usual

GSU @ WCU - GSU, WCU might scare if the Eagles are a little down so it might be closer early.
El Cid @ Samford - while I might not have thought that the Citadel was quite as much pre-season as some (citdog where are you:p ) I still think they have some talent if they can get it focused. That's the question, can they? Military is suppose to be disciplined and they better be. If not Samford takes them. I think they will be and pull it out.
Furman @ App - After three tough weeks, FU looked strong again. If it is a blow out, it won't be my team in the lead. I don't think it will be and one of these days we will win in Boone again, but I don't think it is this year. Hoping I am wrong but I say ASU, less than 10 and more likely less than 7. (Since it has been less than 7 how many years in a row except for 06)
Wofford @ Elon - Flip a coin, cut the cards, whichever you want. I am going with Wofford.

SU 82
October 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Georgia Southern 41, WCU 13
App 35, Furman 28
Wofford 28, Elon 27
Samford 31, The Citadel 28

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
for those of us who think Wofford can't pass you'll be shocked on Saturday. I also doubt the game will be less than 30 points for each team.

beauvighn
October 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Wofford only passes the ball when it is easy. That is when you support hard with your safeties. If you don't support with the safeties, they kill you with the option.

gsu1moretime
October 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
gsu over wcu by alot
citadel over samford close
app state over furman in OT
Elon over Wofford in OT

GaSouthern
October 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM
GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

appfan2008
October 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

eaglewithabus
October 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
GSU- puts a beating on the catamounts
Citadel - puts a beating on Samford
App- Wins by 10 in Boone
Wofford- wins in overtime

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
GSU 42
WCU 32
-WCU continue to improve but GaSo gets the W

El Cid 20
Samford 24
-Sammy gets a big win here and El Cit continues to slide

Wofford 28
Elon 24
-Ankle biters in a nail biter to set up early SoCon title game on Halloween

Furman 31
App St 38
-ASU returns Furple fumble 99 yards late in game to break tie and win.

OLDMAIN80
October 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
GSU by at least 2 TDs
Samford by 1 TD
ASU by 10
Wofford by 21

Black Saturday
October 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by fuEMO

12 FR
19 SO
16 JR
11 SR

18 FR
7 SO
17 JR
14 SR

GSU played 33 freshman this week

APP was missing about 5 starters

appirishmen
October 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
GSU- they will get a much diserved big win!! they are a good team but just cant catch a break. 4 points the other way and they are the team to beat!

Samford- i dont know about this one, but I have liked how Sammy has played and they have a huge D line.

App- This one might be close than i would like because of our kick coverage, but i think the boys come out fired up after the GSU one point win. Lets just hope they can play a full game.

Wofford- I think Wofford will pull this one out. I say their D gets some pressure on Riddle and he gets happy feet. This is the game of the week by far!

APPStrongNC
October 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
ELON Wofford has a 3:30 kick off right? I just hope they update the score at the KBS on Saturday. Game of the week for the SOCON for sure.
But it is Black Saturday for me......
Heres hoping for a slobberknocker in Boone :)

OLDMAIN80
October 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
ELON Wofford has a 3:30 kick off right? I just hope they update the score at the KBS on Saturday. Game of the week for the SOCON for sure.

Airtime for TV is 3:00.

APPStrongNC
October 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Airtime for TV is 3:00.

Thanksxthumbsupx

biggie
October 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm always checking scores at halftime/long breaks on my phone. Usually have to yell out scores to everyone around. Find someone with a phone in hand, they'll probably be doing the same.

introvertedGSUfan
October 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
We better put our hate into WCU after losing three close games to (currently) top5 teams or I will be thoroughly disappointed.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
We better put our hate into WCU after losing three close games to (currently) top5 teams or I will be thoroughly disappointed.

I'm predicting a good ole fashion 56-7 style win. :D :D

lizrdgizrd
October 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
GSU @ WCU
El Cid @ Samford
Furman @ App
Wofford @ Elon

eaglewithabus
October 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
I cant believe how many of you are taking samford over the ****adel.

elcid96
October 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
This might be our best chance to win since everyone is picking against us.