PDA

View Full Version : Nova QB hurt in URI blowout

NovaWildcat
October 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Chris Whitney went down in the first half with a shoulder injury...Antwon Young comes in and throws a 60-yard TD on his first play.

No idea about the severity of the injury - Whitney didn't come back into the game. 'Cats won 44-7 and played all backups in the 4th quarter.

Could be an issue when we host #1 JMU next Saturday on homecoming.

th0m
October 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Not to make matters light of this, but didn't Young play last year, and didn't he do a fairly good job at it?

Hoyadestroya85
October 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Not to make matters light of this, but didn't Young play last year, and didn't he do a fairly good job at it?

Yes, he was leading the CAA in touchdown passes when he went down, in the absence of a running game... I'm not too concerned.. we can win with either Quarterback.

jlcharles
October 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
The guys on the radio said it was his left shoulder. That would make it his non-throwing shoulder. Whitney has been playing very good football. I'd rather see him ready to go next week, but you're right, I think as long as Antwon used his time on the bench to get his head screwed on right, we should be good to go next week.

On another note, why was Marcoux punting? Where was Ugarte?

Cobblestone
October 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Chris Whitney went down in the first half with a shoulder injury...Antwon Young comes in and throws a 60-yard TD on his first play.

No idea about the severity of the injury - Whitney didn't come back into the game. 'Cats won 44-7 and played all backups in the 4th quarter.

Could be an issue when we host #1 JMU next Saturday on homecoming.

Whitney looked good, Young looked great. I was watching and wondering how Young ever lost his job. With the size of your OL I think you'll be fine no matter who is playing QB.

Anovafan
October 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM
The guys on the radio said it was his left shoulder. That would make it his non-throwing shoulder. Whitney has been playing very good football. I'd rather see him ready to go next week, but you're right, I think as long as Antwon used his time on the bench to get his head screwed on right, we should be good to go next week.

On another note, why was Marcoux punting? Where was Ugarte?

Yup, separated left shoulder for Whit. Will be a game-time decision. Either way, they are both great players and capable QBs.

Ugarte had three blocked punts and has a dislocated knee-cap, so he is not as quick to get off the punts as he should. They put Marcoux back there on the bye week during practice and he did well doing the muddle-huddle punt at URI. He will continue with it the rest of the year.

Hoyadestroya85
October 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Yup, separated left shoulder for Whit. Will be a game-time decision. Either way, they are both great players and capable QBs.

Ugarte had three blocked punts and has a dislocated knee-cap, so he is not as quick to get off the punts as he should. They put Marcoux back there on the bye week during practice and he did well doing the muddle-huddle punt at URI. He will continue with it the rest of the year.

So it is safe to say that we will be actively pursuing a punter in the offseason...

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM

xeekx xeekx xeekx

How bad does that ***** hurt???

Anovafan
October 20th, 2008, 12:50 PM
So it is safe to say that we will be actively pursuing a punter in the offseason...

No, Ugarte will be ok. He just needs surgery in the off-season. He was delaying it to try to make it through the season. He got hit a few times on the knee in the early season games and it got aggravated. He is a great punter, but they had to do something to make sure the punts get off in the coming games. Marcoux will be key in the JMU game, kickoffs, FGs, and punting.

th0m
October 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Sounds like trouble....bringing in a new punter against what so far has been pretty succesful special teams play for JMU...

Hoyadestroya85
October 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like trouble....bringing in a new punter against what so far has been pretty succesful special teams play for JMU...

I'm guessing he has the green light to kick it out of bounds.. judging by his kickoffs he seems pretty good at that..

Anovafan
October 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm guessing he has the green light to kick it out of bounds.. judging by his kickoffs he seems pretty good at that..

Haha, you are right. He is going to kick away from their returner. Like I said, they have gone to the muddle huddle punt like WVU and a lot of other people are using now. They fan out wide, snap the ball and the punter runs around and then pooches it down the field to try to prevent a runback. No more sky punting this year.

jlcharles
October 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Whitney looked good, Young looked great. I was watching and wondering how Young ever lost his job. With the size of your OL I think you'll be fine no matter who is playing QB.

You missed the Penn game I take it. He's been prone to floating balls instead of zipping them in.