PDA

View Full Version : App State @ GSU - Game Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

IndianaAppMan
October 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Wow... that's the fastest momentum-switching of a game i've ever, well, heard about

thmst30
October 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Damn what a classic AGAIN.

Appaholic
October 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Good game bumpkins......good luck rest of season....

appstate38
Georgia Southernxsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx GREAT GAME!

jonmac
WHEW!!!! I gotta call my dad in Statesboro and make sure his heart's still beating and he gets outa the stadium OK.

BeauFoster
Holy crap...what a game. GSU always, always plays ASU tough in the Stink. I'm happy to get out of that place with a win, no matter how it looked.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Now GSU has to play four of the next six on the road.

Appstate29
did we lose?

heres the rundown of hte last couple minutes

1. We score
2. GA Southern gets it down to the endzone, but Dowda intercepts one the one apparently
3. GSU runs AE out of the endzone, safety
4. GSU completes pass to ~30 yard line.
5. GSU has a 2 penalty play, int grounding and holding, we take int grounding.
6. INT in the endzone.

WHOOOOO. That was close.xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

appstate38
WOW Great plays made on both sides of the ball by both teams. Glad to escape with the win.

Appaholic
October 18th, 2008, 05:36 PM
heres the rundown of hte last couple minutes

1. We score
2. GA Southern gets it down to the endzone, but Dowda intercepts one the one apparently
3. GSU runs AE out of the endzone, safety
4. GSU completes pass to ~30 yard line.
5. GSU has a 2 penalty play, int grounding and holding, we take int grounding.
6. INT in the endzone.

WHOOOOO. That was close.xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Crowd got their money's worth today............

yosef1969
Damn what a classic AGAIN.

I'll second that, a classic. Haven't seen many games with so many twists and turns. I'll take the win. Tough loss for the Eagles. Hatcher has something special brewing in Statesboro. They'll be a force again soon. Just 4 points from being 6-1, wow.

Appinator
GREAT game! Awesome to see the apps finally play 4 quarters.

I hate how we never get under center in spot situations, the safety made this way too crazy.

asucrutch23
October 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Now GSU has to play four of the next six on the road.

3 of the next 5. They're 3 and 4 I believe. Don't have to play 13 games.

IndianaAppMan
At the end of the season, it's probably gonna look like this the SoCon is just 3 giants (Elon, Wofford, & ASU), but good gravy could that not be more wrong... props to GSU

neersnbeers
That's the most fun ive had watching a game on TV in a long long time. Tough smash mouth football, hell yeah!

jonmac
WHEW!!!! I gotta call my dad in Statesboro and make sure his heart's still beating and he gets outa the stadium OK.

Called my dad, he's alive, hasn't gotten out of the stadium yet though. I'm sure he'll have stories.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
At the end of the season, it's probably gonna look like this the SoCon is just 3 giants (Elon, Wofford, & ASU), but good gravy could that not be more wrong... props to GSU

Furman has a date to determine the validity of that statement next weekend in Boone.

proasu89
Seriously....who is our ST coach?

No one is dedicated to just ST. By committee. We just look awfully slow on coverage. Might be time to put the starters on coverage. Risk of injury, but damn we can't hold em.

jonmac
I'll second that, a classic. Haven't seen many games with so many twists and turns. I'll take the win. Tough loss for the Eagles. Hatcher has something special brewing in Statesboro. They'll be a force again soon. Just 4 points from being 6-1, wow.

I think this will be the last year for a while they have to deal with not making the playoffs. And that's OK, as long as we join them.

IndianaAppMan

they'll be a national freakin' power with all the talent they've got... App's gotta cherish these rare wins in Statesboro

AppStateSVX
October 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
i'm still trying to catch my breath. that damn safety about killed me

jonmac
October 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Furman has a date to determine the validity of that statement next weekend in Boone.

You're right and come hell or high water, I'll be there.

DLS
October 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM
fokk covington.

ae and henton are beasts.

i love app defense under pressure.

count it!

AppIAA
October 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
as will (hopefully) 32k+ App fans...

Should be a good game!

appstate38
October 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Do you mind if we catch our breath for a minute before we bring you to Kidd Brewer???

IndianaAppMan
October 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM

that's absolutely correct... i was careful to say "probably"... congrats on beating The Citadel, by the way... it was extremely annoying reading, let's just say, "some of" their fans' trash talk over the summer, which has not been backed up at all

seantaylor
October 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Heartbreaking loss. But that seems to be the mantra at GSU now. Anders has to go. Our D is keeping us from being a special team.

james_lawfirm
October 18th, 2008, 05:46 PM
i'm still trying to catch my breath. that damn safety about killed me

Why? I was just wondering whether App ought to INTENTIONALLY take a safety. That was a not such a terrible idea with the ball on the 1 foot line. A turnover at that spot would have been disastrous. BUT, the end result worked out OK.

WOW! I was worn slam out 2 years ago in Statesboro. This year I was in my house in front of my own TV with some friends & family - AND I WAS JUST AS WORN OUT!!!

GaSo played a GREAT GAME!! THIS was the best game of the year!

Way to go, AE!

mrklean
October 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
we gave this game to APP. ST. I cant handle this lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IndianaAppMan
Heartbreaking loss. But that seems to be the mantra at GSU now. Anders has to go. Our D is keeping us from being a special team.

i don't feel too bad for GSU... your players will head into every remaining game, and especially the next couple of seasons, battle-tested and focused... you guys will be back. i am certain of that.

Appstate29
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! AND UVA just beat the TAR HOLES!!! my day is complete!!!!!!!

FurmanPaladins4138
October 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM
This was an awesome game- I think if GSU would have capitalized on one of their 34218940312 chances to win, I would be much happier right now, but I guess you can't have everything in life...

AppIAA

It should not have been that close though.. we handed you the safety to make it so close..

All in all, both teams played one hell of a game

Appstate29

Who is Anders?

jonmac

Come on Klean, we sure as heck tried to give it back. Y'all have nothing to be ashamed of.

madisonfan87
October 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Holy cow 37-36! What a game; tough, tough loss for Georgia Southern.

mrklean
October 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Come on Klean, we sure as heck tried to give it back. Y'all have nothing to be ashamed of.

If it was not for that dumb azz coash of ours, we would have had a chance to win!!!

This is why I do not like Coach Hatcher!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM

You're crazy. Our D did a good job. Do you have any idea how many points App has scored this year so far? If our red zone offense didn't suck and if our receivers didn't have the dropsies all day we win that game by 10.

Appstate29
October 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM
If it was not for that dumb azz coash of ours, we would have had a chance to win!!!

What??? Come on Kleany. Hatch and his coaches had a good game plan on both sides of the ball. Yes, you didn't stop us in the 2nd half very much. But come on, look at the way we were playing, we played an excellent OFFENSIVE half. We didn't do much better with our defense.

Saint3333
October 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM

I thought the offensive game plan for GSU was pretty good. Let's give ASU some credit. Both teams are very good, once again the time just ran out on the other team, same as it did in 2006 and 2007.

appvette
October 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM
You're crazy. Our D did a good job. Do you have any idea how many points App has scored this year so far? If our red zone offense didn't suck and if our receivers didn't have the dropsies all day we win that game by 10.

It works both ways though... if our special teams didn't suck GSU never would have had a lead in the first place.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
By the way, what exactly is the rule for offsetting penalties on touchdown plays? Is it redo the play or just on a kickoff?

It works both ways though... if our special teams didn't suck GSU never would have had a lead in the first place.

We had one special teams touchdown. We blew two chances to get a touchdown inside the 20.

mrklean
October 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I thought the offensive game plan for GSU was pretty good. Let's give ASU some credit. Both teams are very good, once again the time just ran out on the other team, same as it did in 2006 and 2007.

APP state will be going to the playoffs this year. We wont. So in the end, I could care less about a classic game. we lost!!!!!!!!!!!!

proasu89
October 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM
By the way, what exactly is the rule for offsetting penalties on touchdown plays? Is it redo the play or just on a kickoff?

Redo for any play.

Appstate29
October 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM

If there are offsetting penalties on ANY play, be it kickoff or regular play, then you redo, no matter what the circumstances are.

seantaylor
October 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Blaming it on our offense that the D could never get a stop when we needed it? Classic. Our D is atrocious. Look at the stats. We are 2nd in the conference in O, and last in D.

But, you're right, it was our offenses fault. xthumbsupx

DLS
October 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
".... when i stuck the ball over tha line i thought i was i coming down but i was STILL in the air."
-armanti edwards post game

spoken like a true superman

mrklean
October 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Screw that,for the third year in a row, we are not going to the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!

GATA
October 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Blaming it on our offense that the D could never get a stop when we needed it? Classic. Our D is atrocious. Look at the stats. We are 2nd in the conference in O, and last in D.

But, you're right, it was our offenses fault. xthumbsupx

I'm REALLY tired of these types of games. My heart can't take it.

However, if I'm being honest...that was the BEST game I've every seen (even though we lost). I'm not one of those people who can't appreciate a great game just because my team lost.

There were a lot of points scored, tons of lead changes, and the game came down to the final seconds. Clearly GSU had some brain farts at the end of the game and we'll continue to lose these close ones if that keeps happening but App State played great and so did the Eagles (minus a few plays at the end of the game).

It's depressing because it seems we're out of the playoffs...again:( But...maybe we can finish 7-4 which would give us at least a very small chance of sneaking in...

Appaholic
October 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
we LOST this game to APP. ST. I cant handle this lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corrected for accuracy..

HiHiYikas
October 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'm REALLY tired of these types of games. My heart can't take it.

However, if I'm being honest...that was the BEST game I've every seen (even though we lost). I'm not one of those people who can't appreciate a great game just because my team lost.

There were a lot of points scored, tons of lead changes, and the game came down to the final seconds. Clearly GSU had some brain farts at the end of the game and we'll continue to lose these close ones if that keeps happening but App State played great and so did the Eagles (minus a few plays at the end of the game).
I'm with you, GATA - I felt PRECISELY the same way after last year's heartbreaker in Boone. An exciting game is an exciting game, win or lose. Last year, I was glad in knowing that, if the Apps had to lose at home, at least it was in a heck of a game to a heck of a rival.

Congrats to both teams for a hard-fought game.

Has ASU ever won on consecutive trips to Statesboro? Has GaSo ever won on consecutive trips to Boone?

Appstate29
October 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM
just saying, if anyone recorded this to DVD................I have a checkbook.

chantster
October 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
just saying, if anyone recorded this to DVD................I have a checkbook.

What's your address? :)

Great game!

Just got done watching the game on dvr. WOW!

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I gotta say I wouldn't mind App State losing this game just to demonstrate how stupid that "who's going to beat them if we don't" type comment by Mickey Mathews was.

proasu89
October 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I gotta say I wouldn't mind App State losing this game just to demonstrate how stupid that "who's going to beat them if we don't" type comment by Mickey Mathews was.

I wouldn't mind proving MM wrong, just not like this however. xlolx

AppAlum96
October 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
What's your address? :)

Great game!

Just got done watching the game on dvr. WOW!

Do you seriously have it? Impossible to watch these games here on the west coast. I'll pay!

onemoretime
October 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
i quit. im done. im tired of gsu breaking my heart.

UDBlueLotFan
October 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
wow, just caught the final on the espn ticker. Seems like you guys had a barn-burnerxthumbsupx xbowx I could only wish for a 1/3 of both of your offenses!!xconfusedx xbawlingx xnodx

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
With our consistently terrible special teams and our inconsistent defense, we will need every bit of that offense as we get into the meat of the SoCon schedule.

We'll have to outscore some teams, no doubt.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Wow, what a game! App did not deserve this win. Who gives up a safety like that at the end? They were lucky to crawl out of Statesboro with the win.

That being said, I just wanted to applaud the effort of GSU today... especially Chris Covington.... I'll take that guy on my team anyday. Is he a senior? I sure hope so!

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah, Covington was a MONSTER out there. He had 3 sacks early in the 3rd quarter!

I wouldn't agree that App St didn't deserve the win. They showed a lot of heart to come back repeatedly as Ga. So kept re-taking the lead. And they made some big plays on defense at the end.

Not a perfect effort by any means, but to hang in there and win that game in Stateboro ... you just gotta take it and feel fortunate. The good things beat out the bad things by a hair.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, Covington was a MONSTER out there. He had 3 sacks early in the 3rd quarter!

I wouldn't agree that App St didn't deserve the win. They showed a lot of heart to come back repeatedly as Ga. So kept re-taking the lead. And they made some big plays on defense at the end.

Not a perfect effort by any means, but to hang in there and win that game in Stateboro ... you just gotta take it and feel fortunate. The good things beat out the bad things by a hair.

I didn't mean my comment as any disrespect to GSU. They played a fantastic game. All I'm saying is that App go VERY lucky there at the end and probably should have lost. Either way, I'll take the win.

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I didn't take your comment as disrespect towards GSU. I don't think anyone who saw that game would have any disrespect toward GSU today.

Yes, I'd agree that App St was lucky to get out of there with a win. But, they did make some of their own luck.

Could have gone either way. One of those fun games it's a shame someone has to lose and I'm just glad I was able to watch it.

ncman071
October 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=AppAlum2003;1159296]Wow, what a game! App did not deserve this win. Who gives up a safety like that at the end? They were lucky to crawl out of Statesboro with the win.

Are you serious? We didn't "deserve" to win today?

i could understand if we played without any heart or were just horrible, but thats not the case. Yes our special teams have suffered and our defense is inconsistant but our team played their hearts out and wanted to win.

GSU is a good team that plays their butts off every time they play their rivals especially when they play us. Moore is 8-9 against them now. I dont care if were undefeated and they had a poor record, the result would probably be the same. It's a rivalry. Thats it.

GATA
October 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I didn't take your comment as disrespect towards GSU. I don't think anyone who saw that game would have any disrespect toward GSU today.

Yes, I'd agree that App St was lucky to get out of there with a win. But, they did make some of their own luck.

Could have gone either way. One of those fun games it's a shame someone has to lose and I'm just glad I was able to watch it.

The awesome thing about this game was that until Henton threw that pick on the 1 yard line there were 0 ZERO TURNOVERS between both teams!

I think that made the game even more fun because it wasn't like one team was just screwing up and keeping the other team in the game. We both stood toe to toe and battled all the way till the end. I don't think I've ever seen that many lead changes.

I was really crushed when Henton threw that pick because he had played so well all game and then I was overjoyed when we got the safety only to be depressed again when we got those penalties to take us out of field goal range in the end. Hell of a game. Hats off to App State (once again) for having a pretty awesome team. Unfortunately for you guys and us...the schedule doesn't get much easier...plenty of tough games left.

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
The awesome thing about this game was that until Henton threw that pick on the 1 yard line there were 0 ZERO TURNOVERS between both teams!

I think that made the game even more fun because it wasn't like one team was just screwing up and keeping the other team in the game. We both stood toe to toe and battled all the way till the end. I don't think I've ever seen that many lead changes.

Agreed. Henton played a fine game until the big penalty and those last two picks. To be fair, it was getting to crunch time and he probably felt the need to push the issue.

And it's amazing that after the game hardly anyone is mentioning Armanti Edwards! He had well over 300 yards of offense and 5 TDs! That kid is something special and a joy to watch (if you're an App St fan).

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 08:02 PM
GSU did a fantastic job in the second half of stacking the box and shutting down the run. Opponents should watch that game tape... I'm sure Coach Hatcher would be happy to send it over.

seantaylor
October 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hatcher needs to clean house of his assistants in the offseason. GSU doesn't lose 3 home games in 5 years, let alone 1 year.

bobbythekidd
October 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Got home and rewatched the 4th quarter on DVR. Who needs a copy?

It was just as intense on my TV as it was at the stadium. For $20, you just can't get a better game than this one. Best football game (other than when you blow the doors off the other team) that I have seen in a long time.

ASU traveled better than they have in the past. Nice bunch of folks made the trip.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Got home and rewatched the 4th quarter on DVR. Who needs a copy?

It was just as intense on my TV as it was at the stadium. For $20, you just can't get a better game than this one. Best football game (other than when you blow the doors off the other team) that I have seen in a long time.

ASU traveled better than they have in the past. Nice bunch of folks made the trip.

You're charging $20 for a DVD copy of the game!?! xeekx
Who do you work for, Exxon-Mobil?

bobbythekidd
October 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
You're charging $20 for a DVD copy of the game!?! xeekx
Who do you work for, Exxon-Mobil?
A ticket to the game was $20 bucks. I was just saying you can pay more for a football game and not see this kind of action.

Someone mentioned they wanted a copy a couple of pages back in this thread. I wanted them to speak up. I could make a copy.

Sorry it all ran together, I'm exausted after todays action. I'll try to better with my grammer in the morning.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
A ticket to the game was $20 bucks. I was just saying you can pay more for a football game and not see this kind of action.

Someone mentioned they wanted a copy a couple of pages back in this thread. I wanted them to speak up. I could make a copy.

Sorry it all ran together, I'm exausted after todays action. I'll try to better with my grammer in the morning.

Actually, I read what you were trying to say correctly. It was just a terrible attempt at a joke. xoopsx

IndianaAppMan
October 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
ASU could not be more fortunate to escape this game with a win...

Then again, we've already had a close loss this year against JMU. This balances things out... it just sucks for Georgia Southern fans.

bobbythekidd
October 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Actually, I read what you were trying to say correctly. It was just a terrible attempt at a joke. xoopsx
Oh. Sorry. My humor button is switched off after this game. I would have got the joke otherwise.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Oh. Sorry. My humor button is switched off after this game. I would have got the joke otherwise.

I know that it's cliche to say "that game was so good, it's just a shame and one team had to lose." However, even though I don't know you, you seem like a pretty good guy and it really is a shame that your team lost.

That being said, I'll take the win. xcoolx

GATA
October 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Agreed. Henton played a fine game until the big penalty and those last two picks. To be fair, it was getting to crunch time and he probably felt the need to push the issue.

And it's amazing that after the game hardly anyone is mentioning Armanti Edwards! He had well over 300 yards of offense and 5 TDs! That kid is something special and a joy to watch (if you're an App St fan).

LOL...saying Armanti Edwards had a great game is like saying Jayson Foster had a great game...everybody already knew that was gonna happen xsmiley_wix

The kid is a stud. He just keeps making plays and as long as he's at QB you've always got a chance.

Cap'n Cat
October 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks to Brother Blueballs for texting me updates to the northwoods of Wisconsin tonight!

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

nmatsen
October 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Oh my god, ASU squeeked by another mediaocre 3 or 4 loss team, hey, maybe we should move them up the standings again, they are not high enough. They are like the new Montana! UG!

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Oh my god, ASU squeeked by another mediaocre 3 or 4 loss team, hey, maybe we should move them up the standings again, they are not high enough. They are like the new Montana! UG!

UNI would lose in Paulson by 15... GSU is a handful of points away from being 6 - 1.

I think I need to go to bed... I'm defending GSU! :o

ncman071
October 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM

21-16

bobbythekidd
October 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Judging from the comments of the Appy posters on this thread, App played one of the worst games they have played in years. Even their poor, is better than most teams good.

GSU played their best game since Foster graduated. ASU is still a tremendous team. Don't look at just the records when you grade the results from this game.

mrklean
October 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
our defense is so so bad. any good team that scores 30+ should win the game.

Appaholic
October 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Said the fan of the team to never win a title...xcoffeex

jhbeagle
October 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Good game, horrible refs.

That's normal for any SoCon game.

GATA
October 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
our defense is so so bad. any good team that scores 30+ should win the game.

Don't you think app state is thinking the same thing...something's got to give. ...If two good teams score 30 points somebody is going to lose.

GATA
October 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM

I hate to defend App State but there's a reason they've won 3 straight titles and went through your program in the process to get there. I would refrain from talking about a team that nobody has beaten in the playoffs in 3 years...If they weren't legit, maybe UNI would have put them in their place in the playoffs.

This is just as dumb as James Madison's coach bitching about App state. If you don't like them..beat em in the playoffs when it matters. Then you can talk all you want and not look like a hating ass moron.

stevdock
October 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Don't you think app state is thinking the same thing...something's got to give. ...If two good teams score 30 points somebody is going to lose.

Isn't it more the case that if two good teams score at least 2 points somebody is going to lose?? Didn't know 30 points was a minimum to lose anymore?? We've been doing a good job of losing with well less than 30.

Baldy
October 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Awesome game from both teams, that was a CLASSIC!
Perfect example of the cliche of both teams leaving it all on the field.

I think this will be the last year for a while they have to deal with not making the playoffs. And that's OK, as long as we join them.

they'll be a national freakin' power with all the talent they've got... App's gotta cherish these rare wins in Statesboro

As you can imagine 3 losses by 4 points has been tough, but very much unlike 2006, the light at the end of the tunnel is BRIGHT. I knew at the beginning of the season we were going to be one or two years away. Looks like its only going to be one. xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
October 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM

That's funny I was thinking the same thing! Though they're #2 on my ballot already. xchinscratchx

DinoDex200
October 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Awesome game from both teams, that was a CLASSIC!
Perfect example of the cliche of both teams leaving it all on the field.

As you can imagine 3 losses by 4 points has been tough, but very much unlike 2006, the light at the end of the tunnel is BRIGHT. I knew at the beginning of the season we were going to be one or two years away. Looks like its only going to be one. xthumbsupx

Being in South Georgia, you guys will always get better athletes than most of the SoCon.

I could see that today...you are right, GSU isn't too far away from getting back to the top of the SoCon. Let's face it...you guys shouldn't be behind the private schools in our league. It should be you and us duking it out every year!

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Great game... wow.

Both teams gave it their all... no doubt about it.

And for people dismissing GSU as a "mediocre" 4 loss team... remember that they are within a few plays of being 6-1.

JMU2004
October 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I watched Northeastern lose at home to UNH. If that team took GSU on the road, well, gimme a break.

SoCon is what all of the non homers thought it was......

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I watched Northeastern lose at home to UNH. If that team took GSU on the road, well, gimme a break.

Northeastern didn't take GSU on the road. Can't give you a break, sorry.

JMad03
October 19th, 2008, 12:39 AM
They may not have beaten GSU, but they most certainly took them to overtime.

Baldy
October 19th, 2008, 12:49 AM

...and if you think the GSU team that played Northeastern early in the season is the same GSU team that played today, then your football IQ is severely lacking.

theasushow
October 19th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Games like todays between GSU-ASU are what prepares teams for the playoffs, because every playoff game has the potential to go down the wire like the recent GSU games have been. I much rather be battled tested during the regular season than go into the playoffs after breezing through the regular season. (Such as McNeese and Montana last year who dominated conference play but lost at home in the playoffs early)

T-Dog
October 19th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Wow, I'm tired. First ever trip to Statesboro and I'm spent.

That fourth quarter was nuts. Back and forth, then a frenzy at the end. GaSo has some playmakers that stepped up today big time. We didn't play our best game, but you can never be fully satisfied.

However, a win in Statesboro is a win and I'll take it. People not close with the SoCon don't know how big a win that is for App. We NEVER manhandle GaSo and are always lucky to get out of there with a win.

Two years ago, a 3-8 GaSo took 14-1 and eventual Nat'l Champion App St to 2 OT's in Statesboro. That was our first win down there in 10 years.

Our only road games left are UTC and Western. Everyone else is at home.

Also, I met bobbythekid after the game and chatted and saw the GaSo busses go by. They got a great round of applause from their fans and they deserved it.

And I like to state how much I love that Armanti Edwards plays for my team. He did some things during this game that us app fans have never seen before. The one play where he was slung around, stayed on his feet and got the first down was fantastic. Same with the Superman Touchdown.

Bar none, most thrilling game this season I've seen. Right up there with Michigan in terms of thrilling. Neither offense wanted to lose that game.

seantaylor
October 19th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Yeah, we lost. But, when has JMU ever been relevant?

thmst30
October 19th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Some interesting stats:

Appalachian’s triumph marked the first time it has ever won back-to-back games at Georgia Southern, while its 37 points were the most it has ever scored in Statesboro. For the first time in the series that dates back to 1932, the visiting team has won three-straight decisions.

ALSO, GSU may not want to wear the blue on blue anymore.

Georgia Southern donned blue pants instead of its traditional white for the first time since a 17-16 loss to Appalachian in Boone in 1999.

T-Dog
October 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM
And for those not there today....it was quite nice. It was overcast until kickoff. The wind was there and it was about 60ish with the overcast. After the clouds blew away after kickoff, it was around 70ish but the wind and some of the cold stayed.

So basically it was the opposite of every other time App's played down there. Not a single gnat, no heat.....perfect football weather.

DLS
October 19th, 2008, 02:12 AM
this says it all

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics24/400/GL/GLZNAXUZCKFAJTK.20081019033242.jpg

UNIFanSince1983
October 19th, 2008, 02:55 AM
That is not legal! Offense can't facemask either just for the record!

DemiGS
October 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Nope, that play should be called for a personal foul against the offense. The hand was clearly grasping the face mask

james_lawfirm
October 19th, 2008, 06:56 AM
That is not legal! Offense can't facemask either just for the record!

I think that is known as an old-fashioned stiff arm.

I saw that play on TV. The camera angle was from behind the defender, so I could not tell he was grabbing the face mask. I guess the referees could not tell either.

Anyone else notice that it looks eerily similar to DLS's avatar (sp?) thingie?

APPStrongNC
October 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM
man, my heart is still racing this morning. the Asu Gsu game is always a tough pull, no matter the current season record. hands down best game I have seen this season, hands down. Watched it on TV, and I bet ot was awesome in person. no point to restate items from within this thread, ST, refs, records.
But a safety with under 2 left in the 4th, are you kidding me.
congrats asu on the win.
see ya saturday in Boone...

AppMan
October 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Heck of a game. GSU is getting better and better under Hatcher. We are being hampered by a ton of injuries in the secondary and zero defensive line pressure, but good teams take advantage of opportunities. ASU has the worst kick coverage teams in the world and have for 10+ years. Time to start using front line players and sit the walk on's and offensive players who do no know how to tackle. Kudos to the GSU fans yesterday. We were treated extremely well before and after the game by alumni and students. High point was Eagle fans standing and applauding security as they were dragging a belligerent GSU student out of the stands. Anyone who thinks this is the same GSU team that began the season isn't paying attention. They are better the 50% of the teams that will make the playoffs.

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Wouldn't the reverse work, too, though??xconfusedx

I watched ASU dominate us at home in the first half and fly around the field all game. If a SoCon team with a couple of losses in conference can do that too, then maybe they're pretty good. xeyebrowx

All I know is that was an amazing game. Haven't read the whole thread, but as some pointed out, the refs weren't very good. However, they weren't very good for everybody. Other than that, it was incredible!

I was extremely impressed by GSU, both on offense and defense.

Question for ASU fans...why would Coach Moore put AE in the shotgun five yards deep in the end zone with only a three point lead?? I was really surprised they didn't try to barrell forward from the LOS...That's the first time EVER that I thought Moore made a really bad decision. Luckily for you guys it didn't cost the game.

ASU88
October 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Judging from the comments of the Appy posters on this thread, App played one of the worst games they have played in years.
I wouldn't say that.

Special teams were horrible, but they have been for years. Nothing new there, except we don't have a solid kicker. See stats from our playoff win over EWU last year. That was simply a rediculous display of special teams ineptitude.

The defense was not great, but they haven't been great much over the last few years, outside of individuals and a few games here and there. You have to credit GSU's offense for the way our defense looked. They played well.

The App St offense saved the day, but this has happened several times each season during our champiohship runs. This does not stand out as a horrible performance by App. St. Those who would say that have expectations out of line with reality. You can't blow everyone out every week. You need to win the dogfights as well.

bobbythekidd
October 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't say that.

Special teams were horrible, but they have been for years. Nothing new there, except we don't have a solid kicker. See stats from our playoff win over EWU last year. That was simply a rediculous display of special teams ineptitude.

The defense was not great, but they haven't been great much over the last few years, outside of individuals and a few games here and there. You have to credit GSU's offense for the way our defense looked. They played well.

The App St offense saved the day, but this has happened several times each season during our champiohship runs. This does not stand out as a horrible performance by App. St. Those who would say that have expectations out of line with reality. You can't blow everyone out every week. You need to win the dogfights as well.
You left off the part where I said Apps "bad" is better than most others "good"

ASU88
October 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
You left off the part where I said Apps "bad" is better than most others "good"
That was by design.

My response was aimed more toward App St fans that would say yesterday was "one of the worst games they've played in years."

thmst30
October 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I watched ASU dominate us at home in the first half and fly around the field all game. If a SoCon team with a couple of losses in conference can do that too, then maybe they're pretty good. xeyebrowx

All I know is that was an amazing game. Haven't read the whole thread, but as some pointed out, the refs weren't very good. However, they weren't very good for everybody. Other than that, it was incredible!

Question for ASU fans...why would Coach Moore put AE in the shotgun five yards deep in the end zone with only a three point lead?? I was really surprised they didn't try to barrell forward from the LOS...That's the first time EVER that I thought Moore made a really bad decision. Luckily for you guys it didn't cost the game.
Agreed, that was a ridiculous decision.xnonox

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Well gee, I guess that means the best team in the CAA is just 3 points better (at home with a revenge mentality) then the team that could barely beat the team that went to overtime with Northeastern.

If you and Mickey Matthews think Statesboro is an easy place to play then we would be glad to host you next year.

jonmac
October 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ridiculous seems to be the new catch word for describing some of the things we have done this year. It's also starting to catch with me, although I do think it's thrown around a bit too much. It seems that we take pride, maybe a little too much, in the fact that we NEVER get under center. It's happened less than 5 times in 3-4 years and only then in kneel downs at the end of games. I am in complete agreement that in situations such as this, though they be rare, it makes much more sense to be under center and running the sneak. There still, however, has to be a line surge to even be affective. I'm not sure we'd have gotten much that way yesterday either. But I'd still rather see AE under center in those sits.
I will have to add, though, that without A LOT of practice it could be counterproductive, as a fumbled snap exchange could be more costly than a safety.

And, I'm just so pleased with getting a win, in any way, in Statesboro, that I'm not gonna dwell to much on the mistakes in this one. Plus, I'm going to be in Boone for Black Saturday and I'm pretty stoked about that. I didn't expect to be able to go to any games this season, other than maybe the 1st round playoff game.

Saint3333
October 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Says the best team in the land that beat ASU by 3 points...

SideLine Shooter
October 19th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't say that.

I think the most important thing from this game is that we found ways to win the game. It was a war, a great game in a hostile setting.

SideLine Shooter
October 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Nope, that play should be called for a personal foul against the offense. The hand was clearly grasping the face mask

I have never seen that called and I see it in every game I shoot.xnodx xnodx

GATA
October 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM

What do you want a cookie for that or something?

james_lawfirm
October 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM

McVeryl:
To answer your question, ASU will always run the shotgun formation. IMO, not a bad decision, given the situation, to run straight ahead from your own 1 foot line. There was less than 2 minutes left in the game. When it happened, I was thinking about the possibility of just taking a knee in the end zone for a safety. Apparently, the QB run straight up the middle was the same thing. To run around the end, or hand it off, or pass it, would be to risk a turnover. I have not heard what Coach Moore's logic was at the time. It turned out OK.

But, even the next day, I am still exhausted just thinking about it.

Appaholic
October 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't say that.

I agree.....and if some say that was one of our worst games, which I do not believe, then I imagine GSU's performance had something to do with that....kudos to GSU..xsmileyclapx

eaglewraith
October 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I had an older gentleman wearing App gear approach me yesterday and say "I just want to tell you one thing....you guys lost to a team with a horseshoe up their ass." I can believe it too. Very hard fought game on both sides but I think App had a little more luck going their way than we did.

However I don't think this will be an App championship team. The gentleman and the man with him also agreed. If they do win it all again this year, trust me, it will be a very long and very, very hard road.

GATA
October 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I had an older gentleman wearing App gear approach me yesterday and say "I just want to tell you one thing....you guys lost to a team with a horseshoe up their ass." I can believe it too. Very hard fought game on both sides but I think App had a little more luck going their way than we did.

However I don't think this will be an App championship team. The gentleman and the man with him also agreed. If they do win it all again this year, trust me, it will be a very long and very, very hard road.

I don't see why you would say that. Nobody in the country can slow down Armanti Edwards and the App State offense.

If you catch them on a bad day, the game turns into a shootout and it's anybody's to win. Catch them on a good day and you get blown out. I think they make a strong run for #4 but there will be teams along the way that have a chance to beat them...

They're not invincible but It's not like anybody is going to cruise past them in the playoffs either. I'm not convinced that these teams from outside the SOCON can beat App State in the playoffs when it counts.

Last year I watched James Madison blow their chance in the first round just to watch App State embarrass Richmond and Delaware. They basically won the SOCON and the CAA title last year. The year before that they pummeled UMASS in the title game. Somebody needs to step up in the playoffs before I write off App state.

ASU
October 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM

It's NOT easy EVERY year!

Skjellyfetti
October 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Great writeup on the game:

I've been to so many football games, they often blend together like rain drops in a puddle. I've been to Orange Bowl games, conference championship games, seen #1 play #2, been on the sidelines for some of the most storied rivalries in college football history. I’ve seen games from the upper deck, from the 50-yard line and from the press box. I’ve been bundled in a blanket with freezing temperatures, I’ve been shirtless in the sweltering sun. On a chilly, overcast afternoon in Statesboro on Saturday, I saw a game that stands out above most of the rest.

SouthernPigskin.com took three people to the Appalachian State at Georgia Southern game and did so because we were expecting something special. Heading into Saturday, the series record between the two rivals was tied at 11-11-1. It's fitting that a one point victory pushed the series in the Mountaineers' favor. With the Eagles having won in Boone last season, Appalachian State came to Paulsen Stadium looking for revenge. After losing their last two home games in overtime, Georgia Southern was looking for redemption. The motivations were obvious.

Midway through the first quarter, another staff member leaned over and mentioned how evident it was that these teams were evenly matched and how he thought the game was destined for overtime. With under 2:00 to play in the fourth quarter, Appalachian State leading 37-34 and Georgia Southern deep in Mountaineer territory, his hunch seemed to be right. Then a wild set of events came into play. An interception, followed directly by a safety, gave the Eagles the ball back with a minute left to play down just one point. After eight lead changes, 880 yards of total offense, 50 first downs, a punt return for touchdown, a fourth quarter kickoff return for touchdown that was called back due to penalty and a game that left a stadium full of people nearly speechless, the score finally held: Appalachian State - 37, Georgia Southern - 36.

http://southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11905&cat=exclusives

james_lawfirm
October 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I don't see why you would say that. Nobody in the country can slow down Armanti Edwards and the App State offense.

If you catch them on a bad day, the game turns into a shootout and it's anybody's to win. Catch them on a good day and you get blown out. I think they make a strong run for #4 but there will be teams along the way that have a chance to beat them...

They're not invincible but It's not like anybody is going to cruise past them in the playoffs either. I'm not convinced that these teams from outside the SOCON can beat App State in the playoffs when it counts.

Last year I watched James Madison blow their chance in the first round just to watch App State embarrass Richmond and Delaware. They basically won the SOCON and the CAA title last year. The year before that they pummeled UMASS in the title game. Somebody needs to step up in the playoffs before I write off App state.

GATA:
I completely agree with you. This year's App team is not the same as last year's. We have more weaknesses & much more youth out there. But, we're still learning & making improvements. That GaSo game was one for the ages.

I have heard lots of folks write App off already. Maybe. But, somebody will have to do it on the field. The message I see and hear is that this team may not play like last year's team, but they still are finding ways to win games.

The offense is truly amazing. How in the HE!! did Armanti complete that pass to Hillary on that 4th & 5 play over two defenders in perfect position for an interception? No one knows. It defied the laws of physics for all I could see.

Some of our fans have unrealistic expectations for our D sometimes. We are simply a work in progress there, given the current state of injuries and youth. Ah, and our special teams. No words can describe them. I just hope Coach Moore gets that straightened out soon.

Congrats on a great game! If that was not my favorite game of all time, it was dang sure close.

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
The offense is truly amazing. How in the HE!! did Armanti complete that pass to Hillary on that 4th & 5 play over two defenders in perfect position for an interception? No one knows. It defied the laws of physics for all I could see.

That was, by far, the play of the game, maybe of the year so far for App. (but I haven't seen every game)

eaglewithabus
October 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
that play was made right in front of my seat and it completely took the wind out of my sails....one hell of a game! I tailgated at the stadium starting thursday afternoon and never left until sunday morning.....it was a long ride home yesterday, but Im trying not to be too down, we gave it everything we had and came up short. Couple of questionable play calls on our end at the end of the game. What a tough season. props ASU on the win.

GATA
October 20th, 2008, 02:43 PM
GATA:
I completely agree with you. This year's App team is not the same as last year's. We have more weaknesses & much more youth out there. But, we're still learning & making improvements. That GaSo game was one for the ages.

I have heard lots of folks write App off already. Maybe. But, somebody will have to do it on the field. The message I see and hear is that this team may not play like last year's team, but they still are finding ways to win games.

Some of our fans have unrealistic expectations for our D sometimes. We are simply a work in progress there, given the current state of injuries and youth. Ah, and our special teams. No words can describe them. I just hope Coach Moore gets that straightened out soon.

Congrats on a great game! If that was not my favorite game of all time, it was dang sure close.

God knows how Edwards made that play. I thought the same thing as I watched the replay. HOW THE HELL DID COCO CATCH THAT!?

I was also really hurt that Tim Camp couldn't get away on that long pass Henton hit at the end of the game (although I thought we would at least send the game to OT...).

Another thing I remember is that poor Ronnie Wiggins #23 for GSU was getting worked by App State's receivers on the fade route. I believe one of them was to Josh Johnson and the other one was to the (appropriately named) Quick. I felt bad for him because he was in great position both times but he just got out muscled. Just think about what a difference it makes in the game if he can knock one of those down.

eaglewraith
October 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
God knows how Edwards made that play. I thought the same thing as I watched the replay. HOW THE HELL DID COCO CATCH THAT!?

I was also really hurt that Tim Camp couldn't get away on that long pass Henton hit at the end of the game (although I thought we would at least send the game to OT...).

Another thing I remember is that poor Ronnie Wiggins #23 for GSU was getting worked by App State's receivers on the fade route. I believe one of them was to Josh Johnson and the other one was to the (appropriately named) Quick. I felt bad for him because he was in great position both times but he just got out muscled. Just think about what a difference it makes in the game if he can knock one of those down.

On that pass to Quick if he'd just tried to knock it down instead of going for the pick it wouldn't have been completed. Quick basically just took it out of his hands.

Still liked what I saw coverage wise...except for 82 just sitting past the damn first down marker and getting first down after first down and us not catching on to it.

proasu89
October 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM
On that pass to Quick if he'd just tried to knock it down instead of going for the pick it wouldn't have been completed. Quick basically just took it out of his hands.

Still liked what I saw coverage wise...except for 82 just sitting past the damn first down marker and getting first down after first down and us not catching on to it.

I know I shouldn't say this....but I'm going to anyway. Nobody ever covers the white kidxlolx

blueballs
October 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
[/SIZE]

I know I shouldn't say this....but I'm going to anyway. Nobody ever covers the white kidxlolx

Somebody sitting behind me said that during the game!!!!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2008, 07:46 AM
[/SIZE]

You're right, you shouldn't have. It was more of taking what the D was giving than anything else. Johnson ran exactly the right routes to the sidelines & AE got him the ball. If you think about it, Johnson has made some clutch catches over the last few years. A D can not cover him if it wishes, but AE will find him.

MountainMan
October 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Well gee, I guess that means the best team in the CAA is just 3 points better (at home with a revenge mentality) then the team that could barely beat the team that went to overtime with Northeastern.

If you and Mickey Matthews think Statesboro is an easy place to play then we would be glad to host you next year.

I'd love to see JMU travel to Statesboro and enjoy some Southern hospitality. GSU started off with a lot of young players that are beginning to mature. If the CAA boys think the GSU team that barely beat NE is the same team that played Saturday they're smokin crack.

I bet GSU could easily beat 1/2 the teams in the Top 25. Crap, they are 4 points away from beating 3 Top 5 teams!!!

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Great photo slideshow from Statesboro Herald:

http://studiostatesboro.statesboroherald.com/EagleNation_vs_ApState/

introvertedGSUfan
October 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Great photo slideshow from Statesboro Herald:

http://studiostatesboro.statesboroherald.com/EagleNation_vs_ApState/

These slideshows that the Statesboro Herald put out are great but they rarely take pictures of the student section. We're the ones who paint our upper bodies completely in Georgia Southern blue. We're the ones who are standing the entire game and are the most vocal.xmadx

james_lawfirm
October 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM
These slideshows that the Statesboro Herald put out are great but they rarely take pictures of the student section. We're the ones who paint our upper bodies completely in Georgia Southern blue. We're the ones who are standing the entire game and are the most vocal.xmadx

GREAT Slide show! I have re-watched that entire game about three times now. Still maybe the best App game in recent times that I did not attend. Alas! Both teams played a whale of a ball game. It's a shame that either had to lose.