PDA

View Full Version : Ga Southern Question

matfu
October 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sorry guys, but I just haven't kept up with Paul Johnson.

How many years was he at Navy?

Is this his first year at Georgia Tech?

I assume he ran basically the same triple option at Ga Southern, Navy and Ga Tech?

What was his record each year at Navy (roughly)?

Where was he before Ga Southern?

Thank for any answers here.

gsu6trophies
October 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM

How many years was he at Navy? 5

Is this his first year at Georgia Tech? yes

I assume he ran basically the same triple option at Ga Southern, Navy and Ga Tech? yes, IMO almost exactly

What was his record each year at Navy (roughly)? 2 wins first year 4 straight bowl games, I think 10 wins one year

Where was he before Ga Southern? OC at Navy, before that OC at Hawaii

matfu
October 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM

How many years was he at Navy? 5

Is this his first year at Georgia Tech? yes

I assume he ran basically the same triple option at Ga Southern, Navy and Ga Tech? yes, IMO almost exactly

What was his record each year at Navy (roughly)? 2 wins first year 4 straight bowl games, I think 10 wins one year

Where was he before Ga Southern? OC at Navy, before that OC at Hawaii

Thanks. I had just missed that he was at Ga Tech now but with all the Bowden-Clemson hoopla, no way to miss it now.

Anybody know how many teams in FBS and FCS run a triple option offense?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
He was actually at Navy for six seasons, if that is what you mean.

grizband
October 16th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Paul Johnson's record, by season, at Navy:

2002: 2-10
2003: 8-5 (lost Houston Bowl)
2004: 10-2 (won Emerald Bowl)
2005: 8-4 (won Poinsetta Bowl)
2006: 8-4 (lost Meineke Car Care Bowl)
2007: 8-4 (Navy lost Poinsetta Bowl - Johnson did not coach)

Check out this website: College Football Data Warehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/index.php)

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks. I had just missed that he was at Ga Tech now but with all the Bowden-Clemson hoopla, no way to miss it now.

Anybody know how many teams in FBS and FCS run a triple option offense?

Hard to classify it as just triple option. Lots of teams run a similar offense out of the shotgun formation (see Florida/West Virginia). Air Force and Navy are still the only FBS teams that run a similar offense in the FBS that I can recall.

A couple years ago Furman had to play Georgia Southern, Wofford, and Nicholls State in a four week span. I think, at the time, they were the only three teams in the FCS that ran that particular offense.

gsu6trophies
October 16th, 2008, 10:00 PM
He was actually at Navy for six seasons, if that is what you mean.

my bad.

GVLAPP
October 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Paul Johnson is one heck of a coach. He was working on his Masters degree at ASU when I was in high school near Boone. He was an offensive assistant coach for my high school team in 1979. Glad to see him get the Tech coaching job.

AshevilleApp2
October 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Paul Johnson is one heck of a coach. He was working on his Masters degree at ASU when I was in high school near Boone. He was an offensive assistant coach for my high school team in 1979. Glad to see him get the Tech coaching job.

Welcome aboard! I didn't realize he had Boone ties. No wonder he's so successful. :)

ASU83
October 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Well, another Viking on the board. You graduated with my brother, I finished the year before you. Who might you be?

AshevilleApp2
October 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Well, another Viking on the board. You graduated with my brother, I finished the year before you. Who might you be?

Avery High?

neersnbeers
October 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
PJ is from Newland, and he went to Avery High.

appfan2008
October 17th, 2008, 02:15 PM
PJ is from Newland, and he went to Avery High.

really?

thats cool... so did josh johnson!!!