PDA

View Full Version : Does Cal Poly make the playoffs at 8-3?

slostang
November 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Cal Poly has a loss to I-A Troy on the road, a tough lost at Montana in a game that was not decided until the last minutes and a seven point loss to UC Davis with out Poly's starting QB and RB. Cal Poly has impressive wins over Montana State 38-10, North Dakotat State 37-6 and last nights win over Eastern Washington 40-35. Cal Poly is sitting 6-3 with Southern Utah and Idaho State at home to finish the season. Cal Poly won the GWFC last year and finished 9-2 and was left out. If Cal Poly wins the last two games to go 8-3, will it be enough this year? I am biased and want to know what the rest of AGS thinks.

FargoBison
November 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I think if Cal Poly wins out they definately belong in the playoffs. I don't see how they couldn't with the quality wins they have and I think they deserve to get in after what happend last season. Plus I think the Great West should get some representation in the playoffs.

Jaxhen
November 6th, 2005, 11:36 AM
If CalPoly wins out, I think they definitely deserve to be in the playoffs.

bkrownd
November 6th, 2005, 11:36 AM
The record looks good for a bubble spot, unless the committee somehow looks down on the number of transitional teams despite the fact that they're good.

rcny46
November 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Add me to the list of those who believe the Mustangs deserve an invite with an 8-3 record.They WOULD make some noise.

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2005, 11:55 AM
It would be a travesty to deny Cal Poly again. The Great West is a low team conference and thus every team must find more than a coupe out of conference games. Cal Poly stepped up and scheduled some tough ones and has done quite well. They deserve to be in the playoffs. With that said, see you in Missoula :D

CKelly
November 6th, 2005, 01:12 PM
If Cal Poly wins their final two games, they 100% should be in. The committee took some heat for leaving them out last year, and I doubt they'd do it again especially with an ever more impressive resume this season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Add me to the list of those who believe the Mustangs deserve an invite with an 8-3 record.They WOULD make some noise.

I agree they deserve to make the playoffs, however i think they'd be one and done since they'll most likely be sent to Missoula.

Hansel
November 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I agree they deserve to make the playoffs, however i think they'd be one and done since they'll most likely be sent to Missoula.
Depending on how things turn out, I think they could head to Tex St, while Nicholls goes to Montana

rokamortis
November 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Here is a related question ...

Will the committee choose only one team from a non-autobid conference? Could we see CCU vs Cal Poly for a slot? I understand that Cal Poly has the better SOS and resume, but we have a better record and I really want to see the Chants in the playoffs :D

In a perfect world for both schools we would both get in - but what are the chances?

mainejeff
November 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I can't see both Cal Poly and Coastal Carolina being chosen. One of them should make it though. My bet would be Cal Poly.

Hansel
November 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Will the committee choose only one team from a non-autobid conference? Could we see CCU vs Cal Poly for a slot? I understand that Cal Poly has the better SOS and resume, but we have a better record and I really want to see the Chants in the playoffs :D

In a perfect world for both schools we would both get in - but what are the chances?
I wonder if the fact that Poly got hosed last year will factor into the decision, kind of how Lehigh was aided (IMHO) last year because they got hosed the previous year.

Of course if they lose to Idaho St, which is very possible, this all means nothing

eaglesrthe1
November 6th, 2005, 02:00 PM
One thing is for sure. The # of quality bubble teams left at this point is unprecendented, and there are going to be several that will feel liked they got hosed when it is all said and done. The committee will have its work cut out for it, this year.

ThreadStopper
November 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Less than a week ago there was a lot of talk about three BSC teams making it to the playoffs. If Cal Poly wins at home against Idaho State they finish out 4-1 against Big Sky opponets. I would think that if the committe holds the BSC in such high regard the Mustangs should be granted one of these spots. Bring on Texas State!

GrizPimpin'
November 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
A factor that will work in Poly's favor is that it is very possible that the Big Sky will only send 1 team. All Poly fans should root for EWU this week and hope Montana wins their last two games. In this scenario, odds are Montana would be the only Big Sky team, and Poly would be a in as long as they win their remaining games.

LUHawker
November 6th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I wonder if the fact that Poly got hosed last year will factor into the decision, kind of how Lehigh was aided (IMHO) last year because they got hosed the previous year.

This is old topic, but Lehigh was a co-champ from an auto-bid conference and had a history with the committee. CP had none of that last year. So "hosed" is a bit strong.

blur2005
November 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Depending on how things turn out, I think they could head to Tex St, while Nicholls goes to Montana
Nicholls??? I seriously doubt they'll make the playoffs.

blur2005
November 6th, 2005, 03:02 PM

I think Cal-Poly is likely in if they win out. So take care of business.

Hansel
November 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM

I think Cal-Poly is likely in if they win out. So take care of business.
If Nicholls wins out, they are the auto-bid from the SLC

TexasTerror
November 6th, 2005, 03:20 PM

They have @ Southeastern and versus McNeese...

Sam ran over SELA this week. Nicholls ran over Sam earlier. While the SLC has been kinda messed up, our backup QB was the one who did the damage to SELA on national TV.

Nicholls rolls over Southeastern and then host McNeese in what will be their SLC champion coronation. McNeese has been grilled by TxSt this week and NW State is looming next week, which may be tough too, even in Lake Charles.

Hansel
November 6th, 2005, 04:05 PM

The fact that neither school/conference has any representation on the selection committee, probably doesn't help matters either

twentythreeOh4
November 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Absolutely Cal Poly will be in at 8-3 this season. Last year, I think the fact that the Great West was new hurt Cal Poly in the eyes of the committee. This season, with the quality non-conference wins the Great West has had, the conference will cannot be overlooked by the committee and Cal Poly will earn the at-large berth.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Cal Poly is a lock for the playoffs at 8-3, relax.

lucchesicourt
November 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I agree with most, that if Poly wins out there is no way the committee can overlook this team. They were robbed last year and this year they have again proven that the games they won last year were not to ordinary teams as looked upon by the committee. The strenth of the GWFC was entirely misjudged last year by the committee, and they cannot dio this again based on the strenth of schedule and the number of wins by the GWFC.

TypicalTribe
November 7th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Last year Cal Poly finished tied for 12th in the GPI and was passed over. If they win their last 2 games this year, they will finish somewhere between 6th and 8th and it will be pretty much impossible for the committee to overlook them.

slostang
November 11th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Last year Cal Poly finished tied for 12th in the GPI and was passed over. If they win their last 2 games this year, they will finish somewhere between 6th and 8th and it will be pretty much impossible for the committee to overlook them.

They came out at 6th in the GPI this week but only 15th in the SN and the ESPN polls. I agree that if they win their last two against Southern Utah and Idaho State and finish at 8-3 it would be hard to leave them out this year, but you never know.

GannonFan
November 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Cal-Poly, if they win out, is in. No worries this year. Heck, I still think Coastal gets in as well - when was the last time two non-auto bid conference teams made it into the playoffs? Might have to go back to the days when Youngstown was still independent.

henfan
November 11th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Cal Poly at 8-3 is a stone cold mortal lock for a playoff slot.

ThreadStopper
November 11th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I guess with only half a stadium (renovation underway) a home game even if Poy goes deep into the playoffs is out of the question.