PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference and playoffs

ravens
November 6th, 2005, 10:55 AM
11/05/05....#1 Furman loses and WCU shuts out Wofford...

Only thing for sure at this point is GSU is in the playoffs.

Furman could fall from # 1 to out of the playoffs in 3 weeks if they lose out !
That would make history.

App can still win SC if they win out. If they lose at home Saturday then WCU is a co-champ with GSU. If they lose out ( unlikely against Elon ), we have a real mess unless Furman loses out too, in which case GSU, App, and possibly WCU go. But WCU chances were hampered by Katrina shortened season.

GaSouthern
November 6th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Wow so if WCU wins then we get a part of the SoCon champ?!?!?!

ravens
November 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM
If WCU beats Appy ( WCU already beat Furman ) then both GSU and WCU would be co-champs. Appy would probably also beat Elon the last week to make it a 3 way co-championship. Furman could also still earn a slice by winning out their last two but I have a feeling they have another loss coming.

If Appy beats WCU then they will probably end up sole champs and get autobid.

WCU LawCat
November 6th, 2005, 03:22 PM
One thing is for sure. Everyone but ASU will be pulling for WCU this Saturday. If the Cats win it gives them a share of the conferance title along with GSU and maybe Furman. There could very possibly be a 4 way tie for the SoCon title. Thats crazy...and I love it. The battle for the "Jug" is also the battle for the SoCon as far as WCU is concerned. App may very possibly have over 25,000 in Boone for the big one! For everyone not going to the game...your probably going to miss one great football game.

ravens
November 6th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Everybody but Appy and the 1-AA Selection Comittee...a win by unranked WCU creates a nightmare for the playoff selections...they would technically finish second in the Southern Conference having beaten both Furman and Appy....

WCU LawCat
November 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM
A WCU victory also gives App 4 in the lose column. I say all 4 should get a bid! Why not? I know WCU had a shortage of games but a victory over App and Furman along with a near upset of Cincy should get us some considerartion if we don't get the auto-bid. All that said, we still have to knock off App...in Boone.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 04:00 PM
A WCU victory also gives App 4 in the lose column. I say all 4 should get a bid! Why not? I know WCU had a shortage of games but a victory over App and Furman along with a near upset of Cincy should get us some considerartion if we don't get the auto-bid. All that said, we still have to knock off App...in Boone.

man, you guys play one good game, and all the IF's come out of the woodworks

WCU LawCat
November 6th, 2005, 04:20 PM
We have been looking at the ifs for 3 weeks. It all started with a victory over THEN first place Mocs. I'll be honest with you, if App beats WCU, don't look to just push Elon right off the field. They hate you guys and they get App at home for the season ending game.

Saint3333
November 6th, 2005, 04:25 PM
UTC was tied with 4 teams in the SoCon when you beat them, let's not get crazy.

Elon's "home" game, ASU might have an many fans there as Elon does. Besides everybody in the SoCon loves to hate the Apps.

WCU and Elon will come out with a lot of fire to be giant killers, if ASU gets up on them quick they will fade.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 05:05 PM
We have been looking at the ifs for 3 weeks. It all started with a victory over THEN first place Mocs. I'll be honest with you, if App beats WCU, don't look to just push Elon right off the field. They hate you guys and they get App at home for the season ending game.

please tell me you are not seriously entertaining that elon can beat ANYONE in the SoCon

Eagles_Cliff
November 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM
If WCU beats ASU, ASU beats Elon and FU wins out, then we have a 4-way tie. Each team tallies its record against the other 3. ASU (1-2), FU (1-2), WCU (2-1), GSU (2-1). Now a tie exists with GSU and WCU and GSU gets the auto-bid by virtue of their win over WCU. ASU is then 7-4 (7-2) vs I-AA and should get an at-large, but the selection committee may look at 4 losses and pass them over - unfairly IMO. Furman is 9-2 and definately is an at-large pick. WCU cannot receive an at-large bid, because they cannot meet the 7 D-1 wins required to be considered.

So....WCU has NO CHANCE to go to the playoffs. But the Cats can be part of a 4-way Co-Championship and possibly play spoiler for their mountain rivals.

GO Catamounts!

WCU LawCat
November 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
4 way tie in the 8 team SoCon...and people say the SoCon isn't deep. Things have been fun this season.

WCU LawCat
November 6th, 2005, 05:43 PM
please tell me you are not seriously entertaining that elon can beat ANYONE in the SoCon

no, but the game will be played at an interesting time (11-19) at an interesting place (Elon) under what I would call interesting circumstances (After the Jug contest). Nobody thought the Citadel would beat WCU last year after the thrilling win over App. Elon really does not like App. Elon does not really have anyone else to dislike except NC A&T for some reason.

catamount man
November 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
man, you guys play one good game, and all the IF's come out of the woodworks

I'd say other than Citadel and GSU, we've played damn good games all year. Weren't you ready for Jerry Moore to be fired after last year's game. A perfect example that winning cures all ills...well, some. See ya in 6 days! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appalachian
November 6th, 2005, 05:55 PM
no, but the game will be played at an interesting time (11-19) at an interesting place (Elon) under what I would call interesting circumstances (After the Jug contest). Nobody thought the Citadel would beat WCU last year after the thrilling win over App. Elon really does not like App. Elon does not really have anyone else to dislike except NC A&T for some reason.

Elon? :confused: You can't be serious, I don't care how bad they hate us. WCU's twice in twenty years victory was last year. Don't get your hopes up, you have one more week to relish last year's victory, one in which we gave to you in the last few minutes, not this year.

catamount man
November 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM
one in which we gave to you in the last few minutes, not this year.

Yeah, I guess our offense had absolutely nothing to do with those two touchdowns did they? :spank: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I'd say other than Citadel and GSU, we've played damn good games all year. Weren't you ready for Jerry Moore to be fired after last year's game. A perfect example that winning cures all ills...well, some. See ya in 6 days! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

actually, i like jerry

ravens
November 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Don't think SoCon gets 4 in...

Right now GSU is the only sure lock on the playoffs...regardless if they win again or what anyone else does...

Appy beats WCU and Appy is in and WCU is finished...WCU wins and things get REAL complicated...GSU would get autobid and unranked WCU will be runner up...

Appy should beat Elon easily...Furman has a tougher road than Appy and could self destruct by losing 3 in a row....

WCU beat Furman, and shutout Wofford 24-0 ( same score Appy lost by yesterday )..I expect they get a bottom rank in the 25 this week just in case they might happen to beat Appy...

sceagle
November 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
If we lose to Morehead we should be banned from the playoffs for the next 5 years.

thirdgendin
November 6th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Furman could also still earn a slice by winning out their last two but I have a feeling they have another loss coming.

To Wofford or Chattanooga? I don't see a loss to either of those this season.