PDA

View Full Version : Shocker nation needs your help!

Shockerman
October 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Things have been going pretty well in our movement to get Wichita State football reinstated. It is the buzz of the town right now. We want to make it louder. Most folks in Kansas have never been to an FCS game and don't know anybody that has. We want to change that. We are hoping to bring Shocker nation on the road to an area FCS football game. Obviously, going to a SEMO or a Northern Colorado game isn't going to inspire anybody, so I need some help. The people that would be going are area business types, football alumni and key students. We need to help them see FCS football is quality football and the real deal. Remember, it needs to be realistic in travel distance from Wichita, Kansas. Suggestions?

dbackjon
October 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Cedar Falls is about a 6 hour drive.

Missoula is a $500 flight - but great atmosphere.

Closest is probably Mo State, but again, not sure if that is what you are looking for this year.

slycat
October 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Things have been going pretty well in our movement to get Wichita State football reinstated. It is the buzz of the town right now. We want to make it louder. Most folks in Kansas have never been to an FCS game and don't know anybody that has. We want to change that. We are hoping to bring Shocker nation on the road to an area FCS football game. Obviously, going to a SEMO or a Northern Colorado game isn't going to inspire anybody, so I need some help. The people that would be going are area business types, football alumni and key students. We need to help them see FCS football is quality football and the real deal. Remember, it needs to be realistic in travel distance from Wichita, Kansas. Suggestions?

The game I went to there was a lot of fun. Great crowd. But that was their first home game and they have struggled since.

apaladin
October 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Unfortunately you're in an area poor in FCS football.

furman94
October 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Come down SOUTH!

Shockerman
October 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Has anyone been to a UNI playoff game before? I wonder what the atmosphere is like for one of those games. Missoula would be great but probably isn't going to happen.

panther84
October 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Here's an example of UNI football atmoshpere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5o75sY-WE&feature=related).

Seawolf97
October 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I was going to suggest a UNI game . Not sure of the travel distance though.

Chi Panther
October 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
You got Coffeyville to get your JUCOs......Emporia State and Pittsburg will probably drop a little as DIIs.....

Come up for the NDSU at UNI game this weekend....IF you can get a ticket....

FargoBison
October 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM

NDSU and SDSU have a game in November, should be a great atmosphere.

alexale23
October 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM
yeh even though both are bubble teams for playoffs

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Central Arkansas sounds good.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM

who are bubble teams?

mango43
October 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Yes both NDSU and SDSU are bubble teams, both could be playing for a spot in the playoffs in that game though, so therefore great atmosphere

Ronbo
October 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM
You need to get those guys to a Griz game if you want to see how it's done right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vE-9v1cZZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YlCEEP1NgQ

Appstate29
October 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM

No travel needed. Get everyone together Halloween night this year, and turn it on ESPN2 and watch Wofford College (the smallest division I school in the nation) take on Appalachian State University, a school that many shocker fans are familiar with since we just played in bball.

mtgrizfan4life
October 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
If it works, watch any GRIZ home game at bigskytv.org. It is free this year. Warning alert "do not expect it to be flawless!" It is a do or die type set up, but when it works it is nice to use. Another idea is to go to GRIZCENTRAL.com, click on the "GRIZ REWIND" tab, you can watch all the games replayed there. It is actually not too bad. Fly to Missoula or Spokane. The flight is expensive, but if you wear your team gear you will have to pay very little for drinks!

If you want to learn from the best atmosphere at this level, check out Montana Griz home games. Football atmosphere at this level cannot get better than what GRIZNATION provides.

crunifan
October 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Has anyone been to a UNI playoff game before? I wonder what the atmosphere is like for one of those games. Missoula would be great but probably isn't going to happen.

There are only a handful of schools that can offer the atmosphere of a UNI playoff game. Montana, Appalachian State, Delaware, etc.

In the Midwest, it gets no better than UNI. This weekend's game against North Dakota State would be a great game to go to! xnodx

RabidRabbit
October 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm making the assumption that Shockers will be in the MVFC, so would want to see conference venues/games.

If want to see a game in an outdoor stadium, may want to check out the SIU/SDSU game in Carbondale, IL on 11/15, or if can make it on short notice (2 days) Cal Poly vs SDSU in Brookings, SD. WIU hosting UNI 10/25 in Macomb, IL would be another great game outdoors.

If interested in catching an FCS game close by, after Mo St. next closest should be about Central Ark. Small stadium, but they overstuff and have a good team this year. If the McNeese game is at Conway, AR, that should draw a great crowd.

RabidRabbit
October 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Yes both NDSU and SDSU are bubble teams, both could be playing for a spot in the playoffs in that game though, so therefore great atmosphere

Unfortunately, the game is SOLD OUT!! xbawlingx xbawlingx

Many Jacks fans are looking for tix too.

mango43
October 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM

What was I thinking? xoopsx

I knew this, not sure how I forgot as I am one of the Jacks fans on the outside looking inxbawlingx xbawlingx

FargoBison
October 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM

If Shockerman explained his situation to the NDSU athletic department they might help him out. As for tickets a few more may be available during the week of the game, not a lot but maybe a hundred or so.

Shockerman
October 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
It sounds like the NDSU SDSU game or a UNI playoff game is the way to go. Here is the real kicker though...who has the better tailgaiting as that will be a large part of this?

Thanks for all of the replies. If this goes over well, then a trip to Missoula next fall may be in order.

FargoBison
October 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM
It sounds like the NDSU SDSU game or a UNI playoff game is the way to go. Here is the real kicker though...who has the better tailgaiting as that will be a large part of this?

Thanks for all of the replies. If this goes over well, then a trip to Missoula next fall may be in order.

NDSU's tailgating is pretty good but the weather could be a factor come November. Here is a video that does a good job at showing tailgating at NDSU and a typical game....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbYk6SHrh00&feature=related

UCABEARS75
October 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM
No brainer.

McNeese at UCA (Conway Arkansas) November 22, 2008 3:00 P.M.