PDA

View Full Version : Big FBS Games In-State for SWAC Squads

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Jackson State vs Mississippi State on Sept. 5, 2009.
Prairie View vs Texas A&M in 2010.

These are two major games for the SWAC and huge gets for the two SWAC schools involved.

Is this the first time the SWAC has faced the Big XII? I know the A&M AD was talking about doing what it took to get the PV band back to College Station -- after he got rave reviews when they played at Kyle Field during a Panther off week. Guess this was the easiest way to do so?

According to the JSU release, it is the first time the SWAC has faced the SEC in football.

See what tossing the mandate does?

kirkblitz
October 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
what mandate

apaladin
October 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM

These are two major games for the SWAC and huge gets for the two SWAC schools involved.

Is this the first time the SWAC has faced the Big XII? I know the A&M AD was talking about doing what it took to get the PV band back to College Station -- after he got rave reviews when they played at Kyle Field during a Panther off week. Guess this was the easiest way to do so?

According to the JSU release, it is the first time the SWAC has faced the SEC in football.

I've noticed the trend of FBS schools willing to schedule FCS teams now that they count toward bowl eligibility and they are playing 12 games. They also are scheduling teams that before they would have never played. I think the way they are thinking is to schedule FCS teams that they have virtually no chance of losing to because in the end they just want a win. Why take a chance by playing good FCS teams that can compete? The above is another example of this.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
what mandate

The one in which they had to play EVERY team in the conference. That limited their OOC schedule to just two games. This hurt flexibility to schedule these games and also a few SWAC squads had already in place rivalry games that clogged one, if not both of those spots...

I've noticed the trend of FBS schools willing to schedule FCS teams now that they count toward bowl eligibility and they are playing 12 games. They also are scheduling teams that before they would have never played. I think the way they are thinking is to schedule FCS teams that they have virtually no chance of losing to because in the end they just want a win. Why take a chance by playing good FCS teams that can compete? The above is another example of this.

I agree to some extent -- though PV is actually in the A&M system. The AD said they had a huge amount of positive feedback from bringing the PV band in and this further goes along those lines. Probably easier to get the band and for that matter a cheap opponent by bringing PV in.

kirkblitz
October 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
damn the meac needs to stop playing everyone in their conference then also. they get like 1 ooc game.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
-- after he got rave reviews when they played at Kyle Field during a Panther off week.

Not true.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Not true.

You are right -- Panthers were in Itta Bena. xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
October 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
damn the meac needs to stop playing everyone in their conference then also. they get like 1 ooc game.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Mr. Tiger
October 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM

I can't see that lasting for too long. The SWAC tried it and most fans hated it. Too many good non-conference matchups to limit every school to conference opponents.

DSUrocks07
October 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I can't see that lasting for too long. The SWAC tried it and most fans hated it. Too many good non-conference matchups to limit every school to conference opponents.

There are more natural rivalries in the SWAC than there are in the MEAC IMO it could work even better in our conference

jstate83
October 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM

You forgot ALCORN is playing USM in 2009 also. xnodx

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
You forgot ALCORN is playing USM in 2009 also. xnodx

Is Southern Miss really a "big" FBS game? :D

jstate83
October 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Is Southern Miss really a "big" FBS game? :D

Gurantee you they would beat EVERYBODY here.............AND I MEAN EVERYBODY. xnodx
There is a reason Ms. State and Ole miss DO NOT PLAY THEM. xlolx

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Gurantee you they would beat EVERYBODY here.............AND I MEAN EVERYBODY. xnodx
There is a reason Ms. State and Ole miss DO NOT PLAY THEM. xlolx

That was more smack directed at Southern Miss. There's a few C-USA schools (Houston comes to mind) that think a bit too highly of themselves...