View Full Version : UMass vs. Michigan in football?

dennisdent
October 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet:

At today's sports luncheon, UMass athletic director John McCutcheon said that the Minutemen were in very early discussions about with a Bowl Subdivision Team about a game that would pay UMass near "a million dollars."

They were so early in the discussions that he hadn't discussed it with coach Don Brown yet. When Brown came to the stage for his own speech. He asked McCutcheon who the team was. McCutcheon's answer was inaudible, but Brown's response was "Oooh. I like the Big House."

The Big House, of course, is Michigan's stadium.

Afterward McCutcheon downplayed the exchange and wouldn't even confirm Michigan, but said he and Not-Necessarily-Michigan had spoken

http://www.gazettenet.com/node/206878

EmeryZach
October 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
This is probably for the 2010 season because we still don't have an FBS opponent for that year. I know we were talking to Hawaii about playing that year, but University of North Dakota is now playing them that year.

blackNgold93
October 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet:

At today's sports luncheon, UMass athletic director John McCutcheon said that the Minutemen were in very early discussions about with a Bowl Subdivision Team about a game that would pay UMass near "a million dollars."

They were so early in the discussions that he hadn't discussed it with coach Don Brown yet. When Brown came to the stage for his own speech. He asked McCutcheon who the team was. McCutcheon's answer was inaudible, but Brown's response was "Oooh. I like the Big House."

The Big House, of course, is Michigan's stadium.

Afterward McCutcheon downplayed the exchange and wouldn't even confirm Michigan, but said he and Not-Necessarily-Michigame gan had spoken

http://www.gazettenet.com/node/206878

I hope it works out for you. They have a cute little stadium and in spite of being a cupcake team, they provide a pretty decent tune up for the rest of the FCS season. xnodx

Seriously, If it works out, you have to try to go. It was one of the best college gameday experiences I've ever had. Their fans were great to us, even in defeat.

Having said that, they might not be as cordial to the next FCS team that comes in there.

$1,000,000.00 pay day? Maybe they learned a lesson. The $400K they paid us didn't buy a victory. Hopefully you'll show them that $1 million doesn't either.

brownbear
October 15th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'm surprised Michigan is doing this, but considering they lost to Toledo this year, I guess they need some "guaranteed" wins.

T-Dog
October 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Well, I guess they actually want to change that 0-1 record all-time vs FCS teams. :D

UMass922
October 16th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I hope this is true. I'd love to see it happen.

appfan2008
October 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I am shocked that Michigan would venture down this road again...

89Hen
October 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
a game that would pay UMass near "a million dollars."
Not calling him a liar, but I'll believe that when I see it. I think $650,000 is still the highest payday so unless the I-A is out of their mind or the UMass AD thinks anything north of $500k is "near a million", I am skeptical. xeyebrowx

dennisdent
April 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Looks like the game is going to happen:

http://www.gazettenet.com/2009/04/24/umass-michigan-near-deal

I will be making this trip!

UMass922
April 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Looks like the game is going to happen:

http://www.gazettenet.com/2009/04/24/umass-michigan-near-deal

I will be making this trip!

Awesome, I hope they close the deal. I'll definitely try my best to make the game as well.

UMass922
April 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
And if the Minuteman Marching Band can make it to the game, that would be the icing on the cake. Seeing the UMMB play halftime at the Big House would be spectacular.

appfan2008
April 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
still shocked months later

ur2k
April 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'm really surprised Michigan will play a really good FCS program again.

Wildcat80
April 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Not calling him a liar, but I'll believe that when I see it. I think $650,000 is still the highest payday so unless the I-A is out of their mind or the UMass AD thinks anything north of $500k is "near a million", I am skeptical. xeyebrowx

I heard we turned down $800k from Oklahoma...so if true Michigan's number looks right. Michigan has been talking to alot of FCS schools so they must want to try for "easy" wins. Good luck UMass.

Cobblestone
April 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I heard we turned down $800k from Oklahoma....

May I ask why?? xconfusedx

DX Man
April 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Good Luck UMass!

jmufan999
April 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM
man, i don't know about scheduling UMass, though... for Michigan's sake. you figure they'd be a little hesitant about inviting a top FCS program to Ann Arbor. and yes, i still consider UMass a top program. i think last year was more of an anomaly.

appsfan
April 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Good luck and I hope you guys get things worked out.xthumbsupx

Wildcat80
April 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Our AD's philosophy-so far- is to play FBS games he thinks we can win. So far so good. I personally would love to play Oklahoma or Michigan etc IF that extra paycheck goes to upgrade the football program. With continued tight budgets it just might happen.xnodx

Cobblestone
April 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Our AD's philosophy-so far- is to play FBS games he thinks we can win. So far so good. I personally would love to play Oklahoma or Michigan etc IF that extra paycheck goes to upgrade the football program. With continued tight budgets it just might happen.xnodx

Having been to a game at OU (vs. Baylor) I can tell you that it is one of the best venues in the country to see a college football game. If you guys get a chance to play there, DO try to make the trip. It'd be well worth it. I'm sorry to hear your AD turned it down but at the same time I can understand it. However, given what you guys have done vs. FBS teams I wouldn't be too shy about playing anybody.

Cobblestone
April 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Staying on topic of this thread...

Best wishes UMASS!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM

To go back off on the tangent for a moment, I think the philosophy is to play games where we can be competitive. That is to avoid games where we would be significantly over matched. And IMO the football factories and/or top 25 type teams are at the top of the list. Schools like OU who are traditionally top ten probably have a four deep of kids since so many talented players probably walk on. And call me cynical if I feel like those kids aren't all engineering and pre-med majors. ;) Same deal with Florida, the other game rumored to be turned down by my Wildcats. Then add in playing in the Swamp in September heat and humidity to the stock piled talent. That's not a good combo!

But, like you 80, I too wonder if the financial landscape won't force UNH to accept a game with an OU or UF in the near future. At least the physical size and the depth of the team has improved greatly in the past couple of years. If we have to do it, I'd prefer it if we dove into the lower half of the SEC, Pac 10, Big 12, etc. first. Or pick a school closer to UNH and its alumni base so they could at least enjoy the experience of attending a game at a big time venue. Hopefully, many of the Minuteman faithful will be able to go to Ann Arbor. (How's that for a segue to get back on topic? :p)

apaladin
April 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
If Michigan will play Delaware St then obviously they will play anyone that has the FCS label. Who's next? Davidson? Dayton, Georgetown, Robert Morris? Good luck to UMass, hope you punch them in the mouth!

bkrownd
May 4th, 2009, 02:19 AM
This is probably for the 2010 season because we still don't have an FBS opponent for that year. I know we were talking to Hawaii about playing that year, but University of North Dakota is now playing them that year.

Hope they keep talking to Hawai'i - I'd love to have a game I can go to. Hawai'i is always beatable, which helps with the playoff equation, too.