PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Loves the SoCon

BeauFoster
October 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM
"Appalachian's got the schedule to win it," Matthews said of the three-time defending national champion, which is ranked No. 2, with losses to Louisiana State and No. 1 JMU. "Their league's not that good. Don't put that down. They're going to walk through their league and be well-rested for the playoffs and have everyone in Boone again, so that makes them the favorite. Until somebody makes them play a road playoff game, I think you've got to say Appalachian's the favorite."

Mickey sure isn't hurting for soundbites...

http://www.dailynews-record.com/sports_details.php?AID=32263&CHID=3

th0m
October 14th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Whatever. He speaks his mind. It doesn't really matter whether what he thinks is true or might offend others. We've all known he's not going to stop talking like this. I'm sure there'll be a couple of replies of "Oh the players will use this as bulletin-board material, to motivate them to go out and beat JMU and MM when they get the chance". More power to you. If Mickey thought that would adversely affect his chances of winning, I'm sure he wouldn't say these things.

Now as far as facts are concerned, the Socon and CAA are 2-2 this season. Two of the top teams in the Socon got beat by two of the top teams in the CAA while two of the middle-tier Socon schools beat two of the middle-to-bottom CAA schools.

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 06:51 AM

I think at this point in time we all understand that Mickey is going to say what Mickey is going to say.xnodx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 06:53 AM

I love my coach! Rather him speak his mind and be entertaining than nothing at all. Any press is good press right? xbowx

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I love my coach! Rather him speak his mind and be entertaining than nothing at all. Any press is good press right? xbowx

Hey, he hasn't been convicted of any felonies, right? No, public drunkeness charges or spying on little boys, right? He wins. There are a lot worse things than a big mouthxlolx

hapapp
October 14th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I have not been one of those ASU fans that has shown disdain for MM. He coaches his team as he sees the need and whatever works for him is fine with me. However, that slap at the SoCon is a case of someone running off at the mouth. Whether the CAA is better than the SoCon is a debate that has raged here forever. The case for each has been made over and over again and reasonable minds can see that each has its merits. But, for a coach from one conference to put down another seems to me to be in poor taste.

AppStsGr8
October 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Wow ... I'm sure grateful to know the SoCon is "not that good". That's such a relief. Here I was all worried about a tough road game at GaSo and tough home games against Furman, Wofford, and Elon. Now I can rest. :D

Talk is talk and Mickey does that well.

gophoenix
October 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM

It's funny, he speaks his mind and that's his opinion. Good for him. The SoCon may not be as good as the CAA overall. But Any SoCon schedule lines up right with any CAA schedule in reality. And if he thinks the league is weak, well, good for him. It makes me laugh.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I have not been one of those ASU fans that has shown disdain for MM. He coaches his team as he sees the need and whatever works for him is fine with me. However, that slap at the SoCon is a case of someone running off at the mouth. Whether the CAA is better than the SoCon is a debate that has raged here forever. The case for each has been made over and over again and reasonable minds can see that each has its merits. But, for a coach from one conference to put down another seems to me to be in poor taste.

He's a CAA coach. I'm sure other CAA coaches (and SoCon coaches for that matter but with the opposite opinion) think the exact same thing. Mickey just says and everybody else thinks it. Just look at the boards if you need any proof of that. Homerism.

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 07:12 AM
He's a CAA coach. I'm sure other CAA coaches (and SoCon coaches for that matter but with the opposite opinion) think the exact same thing. Mickey just says and everybody else thinks it. Just look at the boards if you need any proof of that. Homerism.

I don't hear the other coaches every week, but Bobby Lamb says almost every week one of two things. The SoCon is one of the best conferences in the country or the Socon is the toughest conference in the country. Coachspeak. Mathews just says it the wrong way. Instead of saying the CAA is the best, he says the SoCon isn't that good. The problem with that is that is pisses others off and he is dead wrong.

On the other hand, who cares:)

th0m
October 14th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'm glad most posters take MM's comments for what they're worth!

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I don't hear the other coaches every week, but Bobby Lamb says almost every week one of two things. The SoCon is one of the best conferences in the country or the Socon is the toughest conference in the country. Coachspeak. Mathews just says it the wrong way. Instead of saying the CAA is the best, he says the SoCon isn't that good. The problem with that is that is pisses others off and he is dead wrong.

On the other hand, who cares:)

Apparently the playoff selection committee haha.....xsmhx

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Apparently the playoff selection committee haha.....xsmhx

You miss an important point in that comment. Last year the problem wasn't that the selection committee wouldn't have picked more Socon teams. The problem was the Socon beat each other so much that the majority of the teams had 3 conference losses (noone with less than two) plus adding the FBS games that the committee took the only two teams that were eligible with 7 DI wins. xnodx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
You miss an important point in that comment. Last year the problem wasn't that the selection committee wouldn't have picked more Socon teams. The problem was the Socon beat each other so much that the majority of the teams had 3 conference losses (noone with less than two) plus adding the FBS games that the committee took the only two teams that were eligible with 7 DI wins. xnodx

Actually I was referring to JMU's past luck with the playoff committee being a possible result of their disdain for Matthews and his comments. But none the less valid point anyways. xthumbsupx

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Actually I was referring to JMU's past luck with the playoff committee being a possible result of their disdain for Matthews and his comments. But none the less valid point anyways. xthumbsupx

OOOOhhhh, xlolx I am just so used to the "we got five teams in" I just assumed:o

South Carolina Duke
October 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM

The phrase you used was "beat each other up". Some one has to win and lose. However, how strongly is each team weighted or how high are they ranked. That determines how strong a conference is. That is what MM is saying. Like it or not that is his opinion and many polls reflect the same ideas.

Now go and concentrate on The Citadel. Because someone has to win between #17 ish and ?

I will be there watching it all unfold

Dukie95
October 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I like how it says "Don't put that down" and the reporter put it down.

haha

jus10asu
October 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I really could care less what MM says and I know everyone says that he's just being himself but he needs to be a little more reserved when saying things. He's representing his team and I'm sorry but that comment just puts a bad taste is many people's mouths about JMU. I have a lot of respect for JMU but MM doesn't really embrace it with comments like that.

JMU2004
October 14th, 2008, 07:54 AM
MM says what is on his mind. He knows the SoCon is tough....heck, he coached at Marshall for plenty of years. He clearly thinks the CAA is tougher, and certainly there is a lot of homerism involved.

However, from a JMU perspective, JMU will likely have played 4 top 5 teams this year. 3 of those came from the CAA. Then MM looks at the SoCon, and sees that ASU really only has Elon and Wofford. Further, he looks at what UR did to Elon.

I, for one, think that he is right and that ASU will cruise into the playoffs.

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 07:54 AM
The phrase you used was "beat each other up". Some one has to win and lose. However, how strongly is each team weighted or how high are they ranked. That determines how strong a conference is. That is what MM is saying. Like it or not that is his opinion and many polls reflect the same ideas.

Now go and concentrate on The Citadel. Because someone has to win between #17 ish and ?

I will be there watching it all unfold

In case you haven't paid attention, the poll most people look at has three SoCon teams in the top four:p

Like it or not:D

and what he said is that the SoCon isn't that good. He didn't say that the CAA was the best. Most people rank the SoCon just below the CAA so his comment could be interpreted as saying every other conference besides the CAA sucks which is not representative of past events.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 07:56 AM
In case you haven't paid attention, the poll most people look at has three SoCon teams in the top four:p

Until you guys beat the crap out of each other during the next 3 weeks xnodx

gophoenix
October 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Oh wait. Because we do what the CAA doesn't; PLAY EACH OTHER.

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM

You are correct. But I was just showing SCDuke that his point was once again meaningless and invalid and factually inaccurate. But I have decided he is one poster that is not worth the effort. :o xnodx

ASUMountaineer
October 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Who cares what he says, his name is Mickey?!? xeyebrowx xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Oh wait. Because we do what the CAA doesn't; PLAY EACH OTHER.

Your right we don't. Want to extend the season so we can?

mcveyrl
October 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Who cares what he says, his name is Mickey?!? xeyebrowx xlolx

I bet you'd like to borrow a halftime speech or two of his.:D xsmiley_wix

Mickey being Mickey, but this was not a smart thing to say. At some point, if we want to win a NC, we'll have to meet a SoCon team in the playoffs. He's rolling the dice that it will be App. That's taking (depending on how many SoCon teams get in) between 1 in 2 and 1 in 4 odds...Not taking Mickey to Vegas with me...

ASUMountaineer
October 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Mickey being Mickey, but this was not a smart thing to say. At some point, if we want to win a NC, we'll have to meet a SoCon team in the playoffs. He's rolling the dice that it will be App. That's taking (depending on how many SoCon teams get in) between 1 in 2 and 1 in 4 odds...Not taking Mickey to Vegas with me...

Haha, I would like to borrow just one. xlolx I really don't care what he says and I'm surprised those other than JMU fans do care. I just threw in the knock on his name for cheap laughs. :o

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM

After all those 4th down conversions? I'd be taking him to the Black Jack table.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Haha, I would like to borrow just one. xlolx I really don't care what he says and I'm surprised those other than JMU fans do care. I just threw in the knock on his name for cheap laughs. :o

Some people get all bent out of shape over the simplest of things......hence politics is always a no-no for dinner discussion.

mcveyrl
October 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Oh, if I'm a SoCon coach and we meet up in the playoffs. I'm sticking that on the wall Day 1 of prep week.

What's interesting to me is that within the CAA people love to jump all over what he says, frequently commenting on how he "throws players under the bus." Then, after the UR game, Mike London does the same thing, essentially throwing his punter under the bus, but there's not a peep. People love them some Mickey.

ASUMountaineer
October 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Some people get all bent out of shape over the simplest of things......hence politics is always a no-no for dinner discussion.

True, especially in my family. I grew up Southern Baptist (from NC), my wife's (from Maryland/ DC) dad's side is Catholic and mom's side is Jewish with a bunch of Democrats and few Republicans mixed between. xlolx

blueballs
October 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
MM says what is on his mind. He knows the SoCon is tough....heck, he coached at Marshall for plenty of years. He clearly thinks the CAA is tougher, and certainly there is a lot of homerism involved.

However, from a JMU perspective, JMU will likely have played 4 top 5 teams this year. 3 of those came from the CAA. Then MM looks at the SoCon, and sees that ASU really only has Elon and Wofford. Further, he looks at what UR did to Elon.

Ask Jerry Moore if that statement has merit... App travels to Statesboro this weekend to face GSU in a place where App has rarely fared well, against a team that defeated them in their house last year, and is coming off a bye week. Then they have to play Furman (huge rival), and top 5 teams Elon and Wofford. ASU is by no means a lock to even make the playoffs, let alone cruise into the tourney. If they make it they will earn it.

I'll state this again, and perhaps Matthews can get his hands around it... in the last 10 years the SoCon has won the NC 5 times and has been represented in the NC game 7 times by three different programs. Since 1985 current SoCon teams have won 10 NC's and have been represented in the NC game 14 times. No other conference can make that claim.

South Carolina Duke
October 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM

and what he said is that the SoCon isn't that good. He didn't say that the CAA was the best. Most people rank the SoCon just below the CAA so his comment could be interpreted as saying every other conference besides the CAA sucks which is not representative of past events.

Pick the poll that best suites you and your cause.

Last week you did not like polls, I thought.

Elon could not beat Richmond at their home. Yet They are #3 in TSN. Please explain your thoughts on that.

Why don't you like the Coaches poll?

Don't be so sensative and go try to beat un ranked team.

bandl
October 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Mickey Matthews is speaking off the cuff. Oh no. How dare he. Call the mob and let's lynch him. Wah wah wah.

South Carolina Duke
October 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM
You are correct. But I was just showing SCDuke that his point was once again meaningless and invalid and factually inaccurate. But I have decided he is one poster that is not worth the effort. :o xnodx

It is impossible to have a discussion with you. Unless it is alway pro FU or APP St.

It is regretful that MM comments hurt your feelings. Get over it!

Fact this, Furman is 19 IN EACH POLL. Correct or not?

In your opinion, will FU make it to the playoffs?

AppAlum2003
October 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
...a LOT of new Dukes posters showing up on here... xwhistlex

xcoffeex

GATA
October 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM

I happen to think the MM is actually right. The SOCON isn't that good and I've thought that for awhile . The CAA is a better conference. People want to call the SOCON the "SEC" of FCS. I actually happen to think it's more like the "Pac 10" of FCS. CAA is the "SEC" of FCS.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM
...a LOT of new Dukes posters showing up on here... xwhistlex

xcoffeex

Some have been reading the AGS boards for 2 years and just never felt the need to post. Now that I'm in the work force I have plenty of time to post.xsmiley_wix

griz8791
October 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
". . . Until somebody makes them play a road playoff game . . . "

[griz8791 coughs nervously, looks sideways, and backs away from the thread]

94Terrier
October 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I really don't know which conference is better, and quite frankly, I really don't give a damn which conference is better. I'm much more interested in my school, my alma mater. Right now we're ranked anywhere from 4-7 (again depending on the poll). Our goal is to win the SoCon, regardless of how good or how bad it is, get into the playoffs, and battle it out for the National Championship. Other than that, I could really care less how a coach from another conference spouts off at the mouth.

T-Dog
October 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM
The only thing I'd be concerned about if I was a JMU fan was my coach still talking big about a game that was a month ago.

mcveyrl
October 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
The only thing I'd be concerned about if I was a JMU fan was my coach still talking big about a game that was a month ago.

Please read the article and come back.

bandl
October 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I think we should tie Mickey Matthews to a cross and burn him. Enough with this. He is ALOT OF NERVE speaking out loud in exactly the same manner that every single AGS poster does. Who the hell does he think he is? Let's burn the f@cker. That will teach him a lesson about talking. ESPECIALLY with that silly southern accent! I mean, for real! Who is with me?

T-Dog
October 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Please read the article and come back.

But he's been doing it a good bit over the last month. xnodx

mcveyrl
October 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
But he's been doing it a good bit over the last month. xnodx

When? I haven't heard him say anything about the game since the post-game stuff.

You got a site or link or something?

AshevilleApp2
October 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Mickey can say whatever the hell he wants. His team has backed him up this year.

mcveyrl
October 14th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I think we should tie Mickey Matthews to a cross and burn him. Enough with this. He is ALOT OF NERVE speaking out loud in exactly the same manner that every single AGS poster does. Who the hell does he think he is? Let's burn the f@cker. That will teach him a lesson about talking. ESPECIALLY with that silly southern accent! I mean, for real! Who is with me?

I'm with you! I'll use my national championship ticket, program, and t-shirt to help.

FCS Go!
October 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
". . . Until somebody makes them play a road playoff game . . . "

[griz8791 coughs nervously, looks sideways, and backs away from the thread]

I call East Coast Bias on this one! Oh... he's talking about App St. I thought it was somebody else.

BeauFoster
October 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM

AGS posters on a message board is a little different than making a quote like this to the press. I don't care what Mickey says, but it's disrespectful of other programs in the conference. I think he would be better served in the long run if he would say things like "The CAA is the strongest conference in FCS, bar none."

bandl
October 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
AGS posters on a message board is a little different than making a quote like this to the press. I don't care what Mickey says, but it's disrespectful of other programs in the conference. I think he would be better served in the long run if he would say things like "The CAA is the strongest conference in FCS, bar none."

Let's burn the witch!!!! How dare he have an opinion AND state it out loud!! Burn him!!!!!

If Matthew's goal was to ruffle some feathers, then I think that some Sally's and Teresa's out there don't have any of their feathers left. xrotatehx

PurpleandGold
October 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I think he would be better served in the long run if he would say things like "The CAA is the strongest conference in FCS, bar none."

If he had said that, folks would be on here saying "Here's Mickey again, bashing every other conference..."

The guy has a big mouth, so he brings some legitimate scrutiny upon himself, but come on, who cares. I think this same conversation has occurred on this board twice already this year. JMU is still winning so far, so he's not hurting the team. Why does anyone else care so much?

DLS
October 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
dear god i hope someone from the socon draws this douchebag 1st round.

Rekdiver
October 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have no problem with Mickey saying the SoCon isn't that good. I'm tired of PC, milktoast comments.

We are very weak at the bottom with WCU and poor Chattanooga,

I don't see any complete team in the SoCon at this point.

I must admit that the CAA is getting all the press and while not winning championships appears to be a very exciting competative conference.

While we are assuming tht the FCS will come from east of the Mississippi, the folks from the west might surprise us this year. Montana and UNI got caught with their britches down last year in the playoffs. The west is on a mission.

clintc
October 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM
And least we play EVERYBODY in our League EVERYYEAR.

PurpleandGold
October 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
And least we play EVERYBODY in our League EVERYYEAR.

This argument is so tired. Who cares? You play a grueling 8 game conference schedule. We play a grueling 8 game conference schedule. The only difference comes down to naming a conference champion. You have a true conference champ, and we have a less true conference champ. Both are going to make the playoffs and have a shot at the championship that really matters. The round robin conferences just get a nicer consolation prize for not winning the NC. Congratulations.

gophoenix
October 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
This argument is so tired. Who cares? You play a grueling 8 game conference schedule. We play a grueling 8 game conference schedule. The only difference comes down to naming a conference champion. You have a true conference champ, and we have a less true conference champ. Both are going to make the playoffs and have a shot at the championship that really matters. The round robin conferences just get a nicer consolation prize for not winning the NC. Congratulations.

No, it's more the fact that when you don't play each other then you can pretend you have a lot better teams because you don't rack up the losses like the rest of us do. xrolleyesx

Touchdown Yosef
October 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Well perhaps if everything plays out like MM says maybe the committee won't make Wofford travel across the country in the first round and they can pay a visit to JMU.

MM is entitled to say what he thinks but I would be very surprised if we come out of the Socon unscathed and rested, GaSo scares the hell out of me and the Furman ASU series is always within a TD. (except for 2006)

Skjellyfetti
October 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM

I agree that JMU plays a grueling conference schedule... this year. Does UNH?

PhoenixPhan06
October 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM

First of all, ASU many not even cruise through the weekend. Paulson Stadium is not the place to show up for a half and expect a win. Secondly, ASU has two more very tough games against Top 5 opponents Wofford and Elon. Thats one of the toughest three game stretches in the FCS! And lastly, thank you all for putting up with me now for 100 posts xbeerchugx

beauvighn
October 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Do you think 'da Mickster might be trying to get a little publicity for himself with a number of FBS jobs coming open. I wonder if he goes to Clemson or one of these other schools next year will he shorten his name to Mick

I really couldn't see Coach Moore or Mike Ayers saying something like this regardless if it was true.

89Hen
October 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM
No, it's more the fact that when you don't play each other then you can pretend you have a lot better teams because you don't rack up the losses like the rest of us do. xrolleyesx
All CAA teams play 8 conference games. All SoCon teams play 8 conference games. Both conferences rack up the same number of losses per team. xpeacex

Appaholic
October 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Correct.....notice SCDuke wasn't saying too much when App was kicking JMU's a$$ at JMU.....and has JMU ever beaten App at home? Funny MM and SCDuke would make statements like that after App has run roughshod over the CAA for the past two years on our way to the '06 & '07 titles (JMU, UMass, Richmond, Delaware)....I'm glad SCDuke has the chance, much like MM, to make those statements after pulling one out of their a$$ this year like we did last year.....enjoy it, it won't mean ***** when we send you home early again this year.....xcoffeex

Touchdown Yosef
October 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
If nothing else this quote sums up exactly how much the coaches poll is really worth.

Mickey knows the teams he has to play for the rest of the season and hasn't given as much as a passing glance to what the rest of the Socon is doing.

blueballs
October 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM
If nothing else this quote sums up exactly how much the coaches poll is really worth.

Mickey knows the teams he has to play for the rest of the season and hasn't given as much as a passing glance to what the rest of the Socon is doing.

That is just a tremendous observation...

Dukie95
October 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM

He probably saw a lot of Elon/UR tape...I still have to remind people those two teams played this year.

mcveyrl
October 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
He probably saw a lot of Elon/UR tape...I still have to remind people those two teams played this year.

That could be what he bases a lot of his "opinion" on too. Not saying it's right, just trying to explain it.

(Yea, I don't know why I'm trying to explain it, but I am.)

woffordgrad94
October 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
It is funny to see a grown man named "Mickey". Shorten it to Mick for crying out loud. Don't be a "Mickey Mouse". As for what he said, I have no comment.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM

This is valid, but if the two teams played right now, it could be a different result. I doubt it, but its possible.

I think we all get the 'Mickey being Mickey' thing and how the Madison fans probably think 'he's a bastard but he's our bastard'.

If he was my coach, I would scratch my head and wonder what is the point of making the comment. You know you're going to have to beat at least 1 SoCon team to win the championship. Why give them any additional bulletin board fodder?

Saint3333
October 14th, 2008, 08:03 PM
The SoCon teams as a whole, especially ASU, Elon, and Wofford (as well as GSU) are very young teams.

The ones that make the playoffs will not be the same in December as they were in September. Seems Mickey is too concerned with a team they played a month ago, who they may or may not see again this year. ASU was their superbowl this year and his comments show that. I really hope ASU can get through the next month or so and get another shot at this thing. There is a lot of football left.

Dukie95
October 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Seems Mickey is too concerned with a team they played a month ago, who they may or may not see again this year. ASU was their superbowl this year and his comments show that.

I don't think that's it at all. He was asked who he thought was a favorite to win it all and he said ASU. Now, he could have chosen his words better, but that's the only reason ASU came up.

AlphaSigMD
October 14th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I don't think that's it at all. He was asked who he thought was a favorite to win it all and he said ASU. Now, he could have chosen his words better, but that's the only reason ASU came up.

I'll take this as a sign of respect towards ASU, even though it was probably more of a set-up for the buffoonery that has long been associated with MM.

He's almost becoming a caricature of himself these days...

I'd be more than happy to see JMU vs. ASU again this season. I'd take it in Harrisonburg if JMU wins out (or both sustain an additional loss), Boone if ASU wins out (and JMU loses down the road) or most preferably in Chattanooga.

HighRyder08
October 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet but those are the words of JMU's coach Matthews....... Here is the link. How does everyone feel?

thmst30
October 14th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet but those are the words of JMU's coach Matthews....... Here is the link. How does everyone feel?
Already posted. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49721

JDC325
October 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM

I do not think I have heard one SoCon coach take a shot at the CAA.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I really could care less what MM says and I know everyone says that he's just being himself but he needs to be a little more reserved when saying things. He's representing his team and I'm sorry but that comment just puts a bad taste is many people's mouths about JMU. I have a lot of respect for JMU but MM doesn't really embrace it with comments like that.

Hey, he was heaping praise on ASU.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 01:08 AM

Yeah, and if its someone other than ASU they'll likely get their arse kicked in Harrisonburg.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM

Hello, do they teach math at Elon? Actually, I know they do because my girlfriend is an Elon grad..

Lets see, the CAA plays lets count now 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 conference games!

Lets see, the SoCon plays lets count now 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 conference games!

How do you rack up more conference losses playing 8 conference games in the So-Con vs playing 8 conference games in the CAAxconfusedx xconfusedx Does 8 not equal 8 at Elon? Maybe they don't teach logic at Elon either?

Syntax Error
October 15th, 2008, 01:39 AM
... ASU was their superbowl this year...How conceited is that statement? xsmhx Are App fans that full of themselves that they think another top 5 team who had already beaten a top 5 team and was due to play more would consider ASU as their "superbowl"? Payback yes, superbowl....... only in the minds of koolaid drinking fans. xnonox

South Carolina Duke
October 15th, 2008, 01:52 AM

Play offs that s all you saps hope for is play offs . JMU is there now and tomorow. You SOCONs Like OL FU Just pray you don'tface Mickey in the play offs:)

South Carolina Duke
October 15th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Correct.....notice SCDuke wasn't saying too much when App was kicking JMU's a$$ at JMU.....and has JMU ever beaten App at home? Funny MM and SCDuke would make statements like that after App has run roughshod over the CAA for the past two years on our way to the '06 & '07 titles (JMU, UMass, Richmond, Delaware)....I'm glad SCDuke has the chance, much like MM, to make those statements after pulling one out of their a$$ this year like we did last year.....enjoy it, it won't mean ***** when we send you home early again this year.....xcoffeex
Get off your sister as well as the banjo.

You won last year. Its over.

We won three weeks ago, I know it hurts, I can tell.

Lets move on.

If the selection commitee does it's job we will meet later in the play offs

South Carolina Duke
October 15th, 2008, 02:09 AM
The SoCon teams as a whole, especially ASU, Elon, and Wofford (as well as GSU) are very young teams.

The ones that make the playoffs will not be the same in December as they were in September. Seems Mickey is too concerned with a team they played a month ago, who they may or may not see again this year. ASU was their superbowl this year and his comments show that. I really hope ASU can get through the next month or so and get another shot at this thing. There is a lot of football left.

With your schedule. You should..

Your statement validates Coach Mathews remark.

Thanks for the echo

South Carolina Duke
October 15th, 2008, 02:14 AM

I beleive the "best team in the SOCON drew his name and.....lost! Correct me if I am am wrong.xlolx

South Carolina Duke
October 15th, 2008, 02:16 AM
This is valid, but if the two teams played right now, it could be a different result. I doubt it, but its possible.

I think we all get the 'Mickey being Mickey' thing and how the Madison fans probably think 'he's a bastard but he's our bastard'.

If he was my coach, I would scratch my head and wonder what is the point of making the comment. You know you're going to have to beat at least 1 SoCon team to win the championship. Why give them any additional bulletin board fodder?

"If he was my coach...I would have recruited SCotty McGee....

T-Dog
October 15th, 2008, 02:42 AM
How conceited is that statement? xsmhx Are App fans that full of themselves that they think another top 5 team who had already beaten a top 5 team and was due to play more would consider ASU as their "superbowl"? Payback yes, superbowl....... only in the minds of koolaid drinking fans. xnonox

Do you remember how JMU fans felt about that game? JMU fans were calling it their Superbowl ever since last November. They chanted "We want App St!" at the end of the UMass game, they made "Beat App St" t-shirts and signs, their band learned and played "Hot Hot Hot", they got Miss Teen Virginia to do the coinflip (subtle dig at Miss Teen SC), their coach told their fans to "be hostile" and banned the words "App St" from the locker room up until that week, plus much more. And recently, their message board had a poll asking what their biggest rivalry was. App didn't get the most votes (Richmond rightfully did), but they got a good percentage and many of them explained that the App rivalry is the best thing for JMU right now.

They treated it as their Superbowl, many of their fans (some on here, most on their boards) said as such. I was there in Streamersburg and experienced it. They HATED us. That was the one game they wanted more than anything. And now they have it and they talk about that game more than any of their other games combined (minus Richmond, mostly due to the ending and it being just last Saturday). You can't deny that.

South Carolina Duke
October 15th, 2008, 02:53 AM

Yes we did beat your A$$ at home last November statistically by 130 yds or more. Not a math major huh.

MOve on to the present. What has #14 done lately. Because that's all you got.

South Carolina Duke
October 15th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Do you remember how JMU fans felt about that game? JMU fans were calling it their Superbowl ever since last November. They chanted "We want App St!" at the end of the UMass game, they made "Beat App St" t-shirts and signs, their band learned and played "Hot Hot Hot", they got Miss Teen Virginia to do the coinflip (subtle dig at Miss Teen SC), their coach told their fans to "be hostile" and banned the words "App St" from the locker room up until that week, plus much more. And recently, their message board had a poll asking what their biggest rivalry was. App didn't get the most votes (Richmond rightfully did), but they got a good percentage and many of them explained that the App rivalry is the best thing for JMU right now.

They treated it as their Superbowl, many of their fans (some on here, most on their boards) said as such. I was there in Streamersburg and experienced it. They HATED us. That was the one game they wanted more than anything. And now they have it and they talk about that game more than any of their other games combined (minus Richmond, mostly due to the ending and it being just last Saturday). You can't deny that.

What's your point? Your team LOST!

T-Dog
October 15th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Yes we did beat your A$$ at home last November statistically by 130 yds or more. Not a math major huh.

And we beat your a$$ by 49 total yards statistically on 9/20. xthumbsupx

Then you'll come back with "but we won that game!"

Then I'll say "and we won the game in November, so the stats don't declare who won the game" xnodx

MOve on to the present. What has #14 done lately. Because that's all you got.

Two-time SoCon player of the week. Went 14-18 for 225 yards and 4 TD's against El Cit. Then against Samford, 22-29 passing for 307 yards and 3 TD's.And that's not including his run totals.

And you might want to keep and eye on DJ Smith. This week's SoCon POTW. 16 tackles including 12 solo against Samford. Cortez Gilbert also got a blocked FG.

We also got Welton and Radford as a great 1-2 running combo. And Matt Cline has stepped up as a runner a receiver. And then you got CoCo and Courman catching balls as well. And oh yeah, Pierre Banks has got a couple INT's this year.

We've got a lot more than Armanti. He's our best player yes, but he's just one piece of the App machine that's clicking more and more each week. If he's not passing well, we got 2 backs who can run plus all out WR's who can run the ball as well. If the offense isn't working we got out defense who is stepping up and making plays as evident by last Saturday.

I feel bad for all other good JMU fans (minus alexale) having to read what you write. xnonono2x

Why so touchy? Your team won! Be happy! Your (almost) unanimous #1. You just beat your rival at their place. Stop being such a negative nancy and be a gracious fan, win or lose. xthumbsupx

gophoenix
October 15th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Hello, do they teach math at Elon? Actually, I know they do because my girlfriend is an Elon grad..

Lets see, the CAA plays lets count now 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 conference games!

Lets see, the SoCon plays lets count now 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 conference games!

How do you rack up more conference losses playing 8 conference games in the So-Con vs playing 8 conference games in the CAAxconfusedx xconfusedx Does 8 not equal 8 at Elon? Maybe they don't teach logic at Elon either?

xrolleyesx

Splitting hairs by missing the point and then lecturing. Racking up more conference losses by actually playing all ranked members of your conference. 8 = 8, yes. But 8 in the SoCon is all 8 good or bad. 8 in the CAA is a crapshoot by only partially playing all the good teams, therefore padding the outcome and hiding behind "we're all winners" because you didin't test each other. xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2008, 06:39 AM
A Socon team (not neccasarily App) is most likely to beat him in the playoffs

DLS
October 15th, 2008, 06:39 AM

if you guys do win the NC, will jmu get the app score put on their rings or was the shirt for a non-conference win enough?

ASUMountaineer
October 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Play offs that s all you saps hope for is play offs . JMU is there now and tomorow. You SOCONs Like OL FU Just pray you don'tface Mickey in the play offs:)

xlolx xlolx xlolx Alexale is that you? xlolx xlolx xlolx What a clown. xlolx xlolx xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 15th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I do not think I have heard one SoCon coach take a shot at the CAA.

Reread my post. Just because the don't say it does NOT mean that they are not thinking it.

JMU DUUUKES
October 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Your right, it was our 'superbowl' of sorts. But you realize only because of the way the two teams ended last season, plus the recent success of both. I mean arguably the best two teams in the past 4 years (just go with it, ha) playing each other so closely like that. We felt screwed out of a home game last year, so with the "perfect storm" combining in a 'battle for #1' basically at OUR house for once, we got excited. We rarely get awesome OOC home games, so thats why we cared so much. Was it silly and too much? Probably, did I have the time of my life and no regret any of it ... of course.

th0m
October 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
And now they have it and they talk about that game more than any of their other games combined (minus Richmond, mostly due to the ending and it being just last Saturday). You can't deny that.

Actually, the Richmond game instantly supplanted the ASU game as most talked about. Also, I think if ASU would've beat JMU, we would be your most talked about game as well. Yes the game definitely meant more to us than it did to you, but if you lose the game it's easy to look ahead to the next game verrrrry quickly.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Your right, it was our 'superbowl' of sorts. But you realize only because of the way the two teams ended last season, plus the recent success of both. I mean arguably the best two teams in the past 4 years (just go with it, ha) playing each other so closely like that. We felt screwed out of a home game last year, so with the "perfect storm" combining in a 'battle for #1' basically at OUR house for once, we got excited. We rarely get awesome OOC home games, so thats why we cared so much. Was it silly and too much? Probably, did I have the time of my life and no regret any of it ... of course.

It was a GREAT time. Wish we could play more OOC games that are hyped up like that. IF we happen to get a home playoff game this year I would imagine the atmosphere will be much the same. HOPEFULLY that will happen.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM
How conceited is that statement? xsmhx Are App fans that full of themselves that they think another top 5 team who had already beaten a top 5 team and was due to play more would consider ASU as their "superbowl"? Payback yes, superbowl....... only in the minds of koolaid drinking fans. xnonox

Conceited..., nope just stating facts. It was the superbowl in the minds of JMU players and fans, maybe not yours, but that really doesn't count in this discussion. They were talking about the game since December, talking about it during the week of the UMASS game, and are still talking about it. That game was the most important game on their schedule everybody knows it. Posts here from JMU fans reflect that fact.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM
With your schedule. You should..

Your statement validates Coach Mathews remark.

Thanks for the echo

ASU's schedule is the 9th toughest statistically in the FCS - look it up...xreadx

eaglewithabus
October 15th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Already posted. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49721

already posted...but I think hes an idiot, and I wish we had JMU on our schedule for next season at home...I dont think he would have a very pleasant visit after making comments like that.

AshevilleApp2
October 15th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I don't think it was silly or too much. It was a great atmosphere and the majority of the JMU fans I encountered were great to deal with. There were a few jerks of course, but you'll have that anywhere you go, Boone included.

AppAlum2003
October 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM
already posted...but I think hes an idiot, and I wish we had JMU on our schedule for next season at home...I dont think he would have a very pleasant visit after making comments like that.

I can't believe I'm saying this but... I think that if GSU met up with JMU in the playoffs... I'd be rooting for GSU. Oh my gosh... I feel dirty now. xnutsx

uofmman1122
October 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this but... I think that if GSU met up with JMU in the playoffs... I'd be rooting for GSU. Oh my gosh... I feel dirty now. xnutsxThat's nothing.

I actually rooted for Montana State when they played Furman in 2006. I took four showers and a mineral bath, and still felt like I was covered in filth from head to toe. xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 15th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I don't think it was silly or too much. It was a great atmosphere and the majority of the JMU fans I encountered were great to deal with. There were a few jerks of course, but you'll have that anywhere you go, Boone included.

Rep points for you xthumbsupx

Dukie95
October 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hey, I agree with most here that his words were very poorly chosen. He pumped up App. St. but didn't have to bring down the SoCon in the process.

But, don't misquote the man..

No where in that article did he ever say "SoCon is a cakewalk for App State". To put that as the subject of a thread and put it in quotes is misleading and unfair!

xnonox xnonox xmadx

appfan2008
October 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM
already posted and it is just stupid... we lost 2 games in the socon last year...

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM
"Field Goal? Nah, let's run the ball one more time. What's the worst that can happen?"

Appaholic
October 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this but... I think that if GSU met up with JMU in the playoffs... I'd be rooting for GSU. Oh my gosh... I feel dirty now. xnutsx

I would too.....I officially hate JMU and Mickey Matthews....big talk from a man who beat App for the first time in what, 16 yrs?....and he got his a$$ handed to him by Duke...DUKE! What a fokking idiot.....the only way I will not be disappointed we do not meet JMU in playoffs this year is if they have already been sent home in 1st round by another SoCon school....fokking idiot.....

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM
"Field Goal? Nah, let's run the ball one more time. What's the worst that can happen?"

Already posted. I said it wasn't a smart thing to say. If we meet up with anybody from the SoCon that's not ASU, it's on the bulletin board. But he already said stuff like that before the ASU game (I think he said that App would go undefeated in their conference).

1) So far, he's been right (granted ASU hasn't faced the tough part of their schedule).

2) I can deal with that, so long as he doesn't blow a 21-point halftime lead.

JMU2004
October 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM
This will be hilarious IF ASU does go undefeated in the SoCon.

The "focking idoit" will be most of you on here.....

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Conceited..., nope just stating facts. It was the superbowl in the minds of JMU players and fans, maybe not yours, but that really doesn't count in this discussion. They were talking about the game since December, talking about it during the week of the UMASS game, and are still talking about it. That game was the most important game on their schedule everybody knows it. Posts here from JMU fans reflect that fact.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

It wasn't the most important game on our schedule by a long shot. Quotes by the players and coaches leading up to the UMass game said that the conference was a lot more important than App.

The only thing important to us was trying to get the taste of the loss in Boone out of our mouths.

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I would too.....I officially hate JMU and Mickey Matthews....big talk from a man who beat App for the first time in what, 16 yrs?....and he got his a$$ handed to him by Duke...DUKE! What a fokking idiot.....the only way I will not be disappointed we do not meet JMU in playoffs this year is if they have already been sent home in 1st round by another SoCon school....fokking idiot.....
I actually like JMU, and think MM is a very good coach. He says things that probably ought to go unsaid. He calls plays I haven't seen since middle school. But when it works, it works. And when it doesn't work, their season ends abrubtly and in heartbreaking fashion. It'll be worth it if/when they win another title, and it should happen sooner than later from the looks of this season.

I have been around two majority JMU crowds this year, and they can be a tad overbearing at times. I say not to be "that guy," but because it takes one to know one.

But the JMU alumns I know personally tend to be great fans, full of passion and eager to know as much about the program as they can. They're generally good sports, but have fun with the rivalry. One of my church members wore her "I BLEED PURPLE" T-shirt to worship the day after we traveled to Harrisonburg together.

Incidentally...

WCU's win percentage against ASU - .253
JMU's win percentage against ASU - .250

So yeah, this "rivalry" needs some work. But the Dukes need to win one every now and then to keep things interesting.

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM
xrolleyesx

Splitting hairs by missing the point and then lecturing. Racking up more conference losses by actually playing all ranked members of your conference. 8 = 8, yes. But 8 in the SoCon is all 8 good or bad. 8 in the CAA is a crapshoot by only partially playing all the good teams, therefore padding the outcome and hiding behind "we're all winners" because you didin't test each other. xrolleyesx
I didn't lecture you when I gave you the same response. Your math is wrong whether you like to admit it or not. Yes, a team like UNH catches a break this year by not facing the tougher half of the South Division, but three other teams in the North miss the easy half so they have little chance of making the playoffs or "padding" their win totals.

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
This may be splitting hairs, but it was not anyone's "Super Bowl". There is only one Super Bowl game and it only involves two teams and it takes place in Chatty. If you want a better analogy, this was the Skins/Cowboys game for them, but even to a lesser extent since it had no bearing on conference standings.

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM
ASU's schedule is the 9th toughest statistically in the FCS - look it up...xreadx
Thanks to playing a CAA team. xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I actually like JMU, and think MM is a very good coach. He says things that probably ought to go unsaid. He calls plays I haven't seen since middle school. But when it works, it works. And when it doesn't work, their season ends abrubtly and in heartbreaking fashion.

I have been around two majority JMU crowds this year, and they can be a tad overbearing at times. I say not to be "that guy," but because it takes one to know one.

But the JMU alumns I know personally tend to be great fans, full of passion and eager to know as much about the program as they can. They're generally good sports, but have fun with the rivalry. One of my church members wore her "I BLEED PURPLE" T-shirt to worship the day after we traveled to Harrisonburg together.

Incidentally...

So yeah, this "rivalry" needs some work. But the Dukes need to win one every now and then to keep things interesting.

Objection. Relevance.:D

I feel the same about ASU, although I tend to pull for them a little more since they're right over the mountain.

I know a lot of ASU fans and most are exactly like the reasonable posters on this board. A lot of fun to joke with, but they keep things in perspective.

I already said that MM's comments weren't very smart, but it's his opinion, he's entitled to it, and I don't think it's any reason for all the hate. It's just football.

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I already said that MM's comments weren't very smart, but it's his opinion, he's entitled to it, and I don't think it's any reason for all the hate. It's just football.

I agree. The longer I have paid attention actually the more entertaining I think his comments are. His comments really don't impact alot anyway other than raising the ire of opposing fans. Whether he is saying this for his team or just because he likes to say it, I don't know. But on the other hand, "hate" for a celebrity or personality is usually generated by their opinions or public statements, so in some respects you get what you ask for although I doubt MM really cares:)

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I agree. The longer I have paid attention actually the more entertaining I think his comments are. His comments really don't impact alot anyway other than raising the ire of opposing fans. Whether he is saying this for his team or just because he likes to say it, I don't know. But on the other hand, "hate" for a celebrity or personality is usually generated by their opinions or public statements, so in some respects you get what you ask for although I doubt MM really cares:)

Yea, I'm pretty sure he stopped caring a while ago. His on air interview at UD last year should confirm that for anyone that thinks otherwise.

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Objection. Relevance
xnodx WCU got to play AppSt when they were having off years. JMU has only faced them either in the playoffs or during seasons when App was a top 5 team.

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
His on air interview at UD last year should confirm that for anyone that thinks otherwise.
Was that the fumble?

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Was that the fumble?

I think so...among other things...

BTW, that was SportsCenter material if it was an FBS coach.

YoUDeeMan
October 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM

xconfusedx

Actually, everyone should hope and pray they draw JMU in the first round. xnodx

Quick, name the last time JMU won a playoff game. Follow up question: name the last time JMU should have lost a playoff game? xeyebrowx

JMU had the better teams in recent years yet Mickey and his boys have found ways to lose games they should have won. xnodx

Perhaps Mickey should shut his trap and open up his wallet to help bid on the game and make sure JMU stays home. Otherwise, they'll be sent home...again.

uofmman1122
October 15th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Quick, name the last time JMU won a playoff game.I can think of one rather quickly, but I don't want to...xnonono2x

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
xnodx WCU got to play AppSt when they were having off years. JMU has only faced them either in the playoffs or during seasons when App was a top 5 team.
Not true at all - the 1981 Mountaineers finished 3-7-1, but managed a 45-0 win over the Dukes. Those were certainly ASU's off years. From 1980 to 1984, WCU went 4-1 against ASU. JMU went 2-2. ASU was 23-30-2 over that stretch.

The rivalry's not as new as one might think.

These are almost certainly the best days of the JMU-ASU rivalry, though, thanks in no small part to guys like MM and JM.

YoUDeeMan
October 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Was that the fumble?

I will leave my typical sarcasm out of this and go straight to the point...that was a fumble.

IT WAS A FUMBLE.

The replay VERY CLEARLY shows it was a fumble. Anyone who sees the replay can vouch that it was a fumble. It is not even close to not being a fumble.

It was so clearly a fumble that even a die hard JMU fan would call it a fumble once they see the replay.

End the rumors. It was a fumble. Clear as day on the tape.

FUMBLE. FUMBLE. FUMBLE.

The CIA did not alter the video. UFO people were not involved. It was a fumble.

That being said, I...well, I can't say that this time.

Even so....it was a...

FUMBLE.

Fumble. Fumble.

YoUDeeMan
October 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM
OK, seriously, THAT one wasn't a fumble. xlolx

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Not true at all - the 1981 Mountaineers finished 3-7-1, but managed a 45-0 win over the Dukes. Those were certainly ASU's off years. From 1980 to 1984, WCU went 4-1 against ASU. JMU went 2-2. ASU was 23-30-2 over that stretch.

What was JMU's record?

I don't know the answer to this question, but before 2006, how often did the two play? I know we played in the playoffs in '95 or '96, but I don't remember playing ASU when I was there '97 to '01 or before the '06 season.

If a "rivalry" takes more than a few years off, it's not a rivalry unless you've played 20 or so times with some importance.

I hesitate to even call this a rivalry right now, because in my mind, it only has 3 years of realy history and significance. It's really hard to have a true OOC rivalry anymore.

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
OK, seriously, THAT one wasn't a fumble. xlolx

He was so pissed!!! I'm surprised we didn't hear "I'm a MAN...I'm MICKEY MATTHEWS!!"

We still had plenty of chances to win the game, though.

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 10:05 AM
What was JMU's record?

I don't know the answer to this question, but before 2006, how often did the two play? I know we played in the playoffs in '95 or '96, but I don't remember playing ASU when I was there '97 to '01 or before the '06 season.

If a "rivalry" takes more than a few years off, it's not a rivalry unless you've played 20 or so times with some importance.

I hesitate to even call this a rivalry right now, because in my mind, it only has 3 years of realy history and significance. It's really hard to have a true OOC rivalry anymore.
I'll check...

1980 - ASU win, 34-6
1981 - ASU win, 45-0
1982 - JMU win, 39-35
1983 - JMU win, 24-20
1985 - ASU win, 36-0
1986 - ASU win, 21-20
1987 - ASU win, 17-10
1988 - ASU win, 17-14
1989 - ASU win, 23-14
1990 - ASU win, 24-0
1991 - JMU win, 31-8
1992 - ASU win, 27-21
1995 - ASU win, 34-31 (playoffs, rd. 1)

and then for a long time, nothing happened.

2006 - ASU win, 21-10
2007 - ASU win, 28-27 (playoffs, rd. 1)
2008 - JMU win, 35-32

So yeah, this matchup had a solid history from the 80's into the 90's, but stalled out for about 10 seasons. And even with ASU's one-sided record there are a lot of close games in there - nine games decided by a touchdown or less.

So the series certainly has several of the markers of a good rivalry. Lately, I think the biggest contributing factors have been national titles (these are, after all, the last two national champions), demographically similar schools, both schools being in the same region, very popular head coaches (who have a collegial friendship with one another), and two close finishes in a row.

I'm all for doing this thing every year, giving it a cool name like the Battle for the Blue Ridge, and fashioning some kind of bizarre trophy to go home to the winning school.

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM
From 1980 to 1984...
Delaware holds the series edge over Maryland too. xcoffeex

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM

He was so pissed!!! I'm surprised we didn't hear "I'm a MAN...I'm MICKEY MATTHEWS!!"

We still had plenty of chances to win the game, though.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=739584&postcount=4

Dukie95
October 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM
xconfusedx

Actually, everyone should hope and pray they draw JMU in the first round. xnodx

Quick, name the last time JMU won a playoff game. Follow up question: name the last time JMU should have lost a playoff game? xeyebrowx

JMU had the better teams in recent years yet Mickey and his boys have found ways to lose games they should have won. xnodx

Perhaps Mickey should shut his trap and open up his wallet to help bid on the game and make sure JMU stays home. Otherwise, they'll be sent home...again.

They've been sent away to seeds the past two years, so..their bids wouldn't have mattered. If they were really the better team, why wasn't JMU seeded above the team they traveled to?

AppAlum2003
October 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM
They've been sent away to seeds the past two years, so..their bids wouldn't have mattered. If they were really the better team, why wasn't JMU seeded above the team they traveled to?

Actually, ASU wasn't a seed last year... they just outbid JMU.

Dukie95
October 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Actually, ASU wasn't a seed last year... they just outbid JMU.

Ok..I stand corrected. But, I would bet ASU was the only non-seeded team in the field that had a higher bid than JMU.

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Delaware holds the series edge over Maryland too. xcoffeex
Right, and ASU hold the series edge over Michigan. Then again, NAIA Milligan holds the series edge over ASU. And they went and dropped football so we can't even things up. xbangx

Series records are interesting, but they become more so when they're unpacked a little. Hence my earlier post, which seems to suggest the JMU-ASU series is better than the wins and losses suggest.

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I'll check...

1980 - ASU win, 34-6
1981 - ASU win, 45-0
1982 - JMU win, 39-35
1983 - JMU win, 24-20
1985 - ASU win, 36-0
1986 - ASU win, 21-20
1987 - ASU win, 17-10
1988 - ASU win, 17-14
1989 - ASU win, 23-14
1990 - ASU win, 24-0
1991 - JMU win, 31-8
1992 - ASU win, 27-21
1995 - ASU win, 34-31 (playoffs, rd. 1)

and then for a long time, nothing happened.

2006 - ASU win, 21-10
2007 - ASU win, 28-27 (playoffs, rd. 1)
2008 - JMU win, 35-32

So yeah, this matchup had a solid history from the 80's into the 90's, but stalled out for about 10 seasons. And even with ASU's one-sided record there are a lot of close games in there - nine games decided by a touchdown or less.

So the series certainly has several of the markers of a good rivalry. Lately, I think the biggest contributing factors have been national titles (these are, after all, the last two national champions), demographically similar schools, both schools being in the same region, very popular head coaches (who have a collegial friendship with one another), and two close finishes in a row.

I'm all for doing this thing every year, giving it a cool name like the Battle for the Blue Ridge, and fashioning some kind of bizarre trophy to go home to the winning school.

Thanks for the research!

I agree about the recent "vamp up" of the series and I think it's a little early to call it a rivalry.

An every year thing would be nice, but probably won't happen. AD's like to get some variety on the schedule. Think about FBS, most OOC rivalries are with Notre Dame because they don't have a conference. I can't think of many rivalries that involve two big conference schools.

AppAlum2003
October 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Ok..I stand corrected. But, I would bet ASU was the only non-seeded team in the field that had a higher bid than JMU.

Agreed... the selection committee really screwed JMU last year. But don't worry... if they keep playing like they are, they'll be guaranteed a home game throughout the playoffs. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Great picture!

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the research!

I agree about the recent "vamp up" of the series and I think it's a little early to call it a rivalry.

An every year thing would be nice, but probably won't happen. AD's like to get some variety on the schedule. Think about FBS, most OOC rivalries are with Notre Dame because they don't have a conference. I can't think of many rivalries that involve two big conference schools.
At least we've got playoff regionalization to match us up. When it comes down to the actual game, a relatively frequent playoff matchup is better than a rivalry, because both teams are good enough to be in the playoffs.

Rivalry games inevitably match a 8-1 team against a 2-7 team.

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2008, 10:36 AM
At least we've got playoff regionalization to match us up. When it comes down to the actual game, a relatively frequent playoff matchup is better than a rivalry, because both teams are good enough to be in the playoffs.

Rivalry games inevitably match a 8-1 team against a 2-7 team.

Very true. It would be a Super Rivalry if we consistently met in the playoffs. Particularly since one team would be ending the others season each time.

bandl
October 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I find it interesting that once the long-time posters took over this thread, the conversation is now civil again. xcoffeex

That is all. :)

Appaholic
October 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I actually like JMU, and think MM is a very good coach. He says things that probably ought to go unsaid. He calls plays I haven't seen since middle school. But when it works, it works. And when it doesn't work, their season ends abrubtly and in heartbreaking fashion. It'll be worth it if/when they win another title, and it should happen sooner than later from the looks of this season.

Incidentally...

I agree.....I'm feeling what I imagine JMU fans were feeling after playoffs last year....really want a rematch with JMU.....but at least I can take solace in that win percentage you posted.....amazing, JMU and WCU don't just have their school colors in common.....xlolx

bandl
October 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I agree.....I'm feeling what I imagine JMU fans were feeling after playoffs last year....really want a rematch with JMU.....but at least I can take solace in that win percentage you posted.....amazing, JMU and WCU don't just have their school colors in common.....xlolx

Let's not forget that JMU was not a very good football team year in and year out until about 2004....I would imagine that MOST teams that have a long history against JMU have a very favorable winning percentage against them (except for Towson 'State' ;) ) :o

Appaholic
October 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Let's not forget that JMU was not a very good football team year in and year out until about 2004....I would imagine that MOST teams that have a long history against JMU have a very favorable winning percentage against them (except for Towson 'State' ;) ) :o

Point taken, but neither were App in the '80's except for '87. And we didn't make playoffs in 2004 and had an atrocious record in '96 I believe....

appstate38
October 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Point taken, but neither were App in the '80's except for '87. And we didn't make playoffs in 2004 and had an atrocious record in '96 I believe....

It was actually '93. The Apps were 4-7! Just trying to helpxthumbsupx

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
JMU has 8 playoff appearances since 1987, though (1987, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2004, 2006, and 2007). I think we ought to go ahead and assume that a 9th is inevitable. That's not the highest consistency in the FCS, but that's very good considering the conference JMU occupies.

In games when JMU played ASU and both were playoff teams (87, 91, 95, 06, and 07), ASU leads JMU 4-1. Three of those games were decided by fewer than three points, though. Again, a very close series, even if you go back 20 years.

Incidentally, ASU has 15 playoff appearances dating back to 1986 (86, 87, 89, 91, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07) - but didn't win a title (and had a losing playoff record) before 2005.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM

These are almost certainly the best days of the JMU-ASU rivalry, though, thanks in no small part to guys like MM and JM.

JMU until 2004 just an average football program. Made the playoffs 5 times with only 2 wins. Only once did they play ASU in the playoffs, a 24-31 loss.

Before anyone claims the same about ASU prior to 2005: 12 playoff appearances with 8 wins, 5 SoCon championships.

For the record I like and respect JMU, I just don't agree with MM on this subject.

Edit: good post mountaineer, I was 4 minutes late.

bandl
October 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
JMU has 8 playoff appearances since 1987, though (1987, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2004, 2006, and 2007). I think we ought to go ahead and assume that a 9th is inevitable. That's not the highest consistency in the FCS, but that's very good considering the conference JMU occupies.

In games when JMU played ASU and both were playoff teams (87, 91, 95, 06, and 07), ASU leads JMU 4-1. Three of those games were decided by fewer than three points, though. Again, a very close series, even if you go back 20 years.

They made the playoffs 5 times before 2004...hince not a very good team year in and year out until 2004. 5 times in 26 years (since 1978) is not very good. xpeacex
But I'll take 4 playoff appearances out of the last 5 years (assuming they make it this year) to skew those stats a little bit! xsmiley_wix

89Hen
October 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I find it interesting that once the long-time posters took over this thread, the conversation is now civil again. xcoffeex

It's how we've managed to stick around. xsmiley_wix

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Wait until 89 starts calling me OL ****** Upxmadx :)

bandl
October 15th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Wait until 89 starts calling me OL ****** Upxmadx :)

Don't we all call you that?? xconfusedx

Congrats, you get the award today! xthumbsupx

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Don't we all call you that?? xconfusedx

Congrats, you get the award today! xthumbsupx

I've had it since Monday:o :( xbawlingx

DB_Atlantic10
October 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I'm sure there'll be a couple of replies of "Oh the players will use this as bulletin-board material, to motivate them to go out and beat JMU and MM when they get the chance". I don't think MM was concerned about SoCon teams using this as bulletin board material in regards to playing the Dukes, he's much more cleaver than that. His concern is probably more in tune to other teams in the SoCon using it to step it up their game against App St. Saying that the SoCon is weak and that App. St will blow right threw it will do more to the motivation of Wofford, Elon and Furman, who I think MM will more than be happy to play than a repeat with App. St. at their house in the Play-offs...even with our win, only the SoCon teams can knock App. St off of their perch. Without a #1 seed, JMU will end up back in Boone. Especially with a tough CAA schedule and App St. having all of those teams at the rock this year. MM is way ahead on his thinking.....xcoffeex

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't think MM was concerned about SoCon teams using this as bulletin board material in regards to playing the Dukes, he's much more cleaver than that. His concern is probably more in tune to other teams in the SoCon using it to step it up their game against App St. Saying that the SoCon is weak and that App. St will blow right threw it will do more to the motivation of Wofford, Elon and Furman, who I think MM will more than be happy to play than a repeat with App. St. at their house in the Play-offs...even with our win, only the SoCon teams can knock App. St off of their perch. Without a #1 seed, JMU will end up back in Boone. Especially with a tough CAA schedule and App St. having all of those teams at the rock this year. MM is way ahead on his thinking.....xcoffeex

If that was his intention then he has major delusions of grandeurxnodx xrolleyesx xrotatehx

AshevilleApp2
October 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I don't think MM was concerned about SoCon teams using this as bulletin board material in regards to playing the Dukes, he's much more cleaver than that. His concern is probably more in tune to other teams in the SoCon using it to step it up their game against App St. Saying that the SoCon is weak and that App. St will blow right threw it will do more to the motivation of Wofford, Elon and Furman, who I think MM will more than be happy to play than a repeat with App. St. at their house in the Play-offs...even with our win, only the SoCon teams can knock App. St off of their perch. Without a #1 seed, JMU will end up back in Boone. Especially with a tough CAA schedule and App St. having all of those teams at the rock this year. MM is way ahead on his thinking.....xcoffeex

JMU is in line to be a 1 or 2 seed right now. I don't see many scenarios where they would play in Boone this year. If anything, a rematch in Harrisonburg is more likely.

Dukie95
October 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
JMU is in line to be a 1 or 2 seed right now. I don't see many scenarios where they would play in Boone this year. If anything, a rematch in Harrisonburg is more likely.

Oh, JMU fans can find plenty such scenarios...they start with a loss at nova and ASU running the table.

DB_Atlantic10, that's an interesting theory. In either case, I'm sure he would love to be proven wrong.

DB_Atlantic10
October 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
And least we play EVERYBODY in our League EVERYYEAR. Give me a break... the CAA is a 12 team conference...so it will be strickly all in conference games... It's the same format as the SEC and ACC with large split conferences...... Think Think Think.....xnonono2x

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Give me a break... the CAA is a 12 team conference...so it will be strickly all in conference games... It's the same format as the SEC and ACC with large split conferences...... Think Think Think.....xnonono2x

Can't really argue with that one...I guess that means the SEC isn't allowed to be the best conference in FBS...or the Big 12 for that matter.

The SEC is pretty overrated too though. It's just some bandwagon issue that everyone has jumped on by proclaiming the SEC the best conference ever.

The legit teams in the SEC:

1. UGA
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Florida
5. Vandy*

*Vandy is "above average" at best. The rest of the conference isn't anything special...

I don't see how it's any different from most conferences. About half of the teams are good...the other half...not so much.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Matthews is more than welcome to bring his team to Statesboro next year for a game. We'll educate him about he SoCon just as we did to Joe Gardi and Hofstra in 2000.

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Matthews is more than welcome to bring his team to Statesboro next year for a game. We'll educate him about he SoCon just as we did to Joe Gardi and Hofstra in 2000.

LOL. We would get murdered. We couldn't even handle Northeastern. Maybe he should bring them down in 2010. Hopefully we'll be a good team by then.

DB_Atlantic10
October 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I disagree.... JMU went 9-2 in 04...hit the road Jack....9-2 in 06 and hit the road...... If history serves us right, if we don't win out, we will be sent packing!!

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM
xrolleyesx

Yes, but the CAA has MORE good and MORE not so good teams than the So-Con. That is because it is a LARGER league than the So-Con. Again, you show your cluelessness here. xrolleyesx IF the CAA and So-Con are roughly equal (I think THIS YEAR the CAA is tougher as the GPI bears out, but lets say for the sake of arguement they are roughly equal), then the CAA being a larger league has more good and more bad teams than the So-Con. Now if CAA teams had to play a random 8 out of the 11 other teams in the conference, they would draw roughly an equal number of good and not so good opponents as the SoCon teams do. Seeing that JMU plays in the CAA South, which is clearly tougher than the CAA North, JMU and other CAA South teams have a tougher league schedule than the CAA North teams do, and certainly tougher than the So-Con teams do when strictly looking at SOS for league games only.

So the nonsense you spout about "padding the outcome" is a joke.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 06:09 PM

1st of all this is MM's 9th season at JMU, so don't know where you get the 16 years from. An MM coached JMU team 1st faced ASU in 06' and MM coached JMU teams are 1-2 vs ASU.

So what about Duke. Duke is a BCS schools with a WINNING record. Duke beat UVA 31-0, worse than they beat JMU, but nobody has been saying anything about UR losing 16-0 to UVA. In the Sagarin ratings Duke is ranked 40th, ahead of 2/3 of the other I-A teams, and 49 of the 54 non BCS teams. I just shake my head when as you say "fokking idiots" trot out their ignorant "JMU got their arse kicked by Duke who sucks" talk.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Quick, name the last time JMU won a playoff game.

Last time JMU won a playoff game was 04' NC.

Follow up question: name the last time JMU should have lost a playoff game? xeyebrowx

Last time JMU should have lost a playoff games was last season @ ASU, which JMU did. ASU was higher ranked and favored.

If you knew anything about the selection process you would know that JMU got sent to #4 seed YSU in 06' because they were the closest non seeded, non Gateway (MVC) opponent geographically. This was done BEFORE the bids were looked at.

In 07' JMU put up I believe the 3rd highest bid of a non seeded team, next to ASU & UD. Just happened to be that JMU was the closest non So-Con playoff team to ASU.

For JMU, geography sucks.

06': again, seeded YSU was favored, so I wouldn't necessarily say JMU had the better team.

07' @ ASU, again, ASU was favored, and I think most on here would say ASU had the better team.

If you're going to go by who was favored, the last time JMU lost a playoff game that they should have won (in which they were favored):

06' @ YSU & 07' @ ASU again JMU not favored

04' JMU won the NC.

99' 8-3 JMU lost @ favored Troy State in the 1st round

95' 8-3 JMU lost @ 11-0, #1 seed heavily favored ASU in the 1st round

94' JMU did win at home over Troy State in the 1st round. 10-2 JMU lost @ #1 seed heavily favored Marshall in the quarterfinals in OT.

92' JMU 8-3 JMU won @ #1 seed UD before losing to Samford in the quarterfinals @ JMU in a game I believe JMU was favored in.

So, the last time JMU lost a playoff game that they should have won (in which they were favored) was 16 years ago.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM

81' was only JMU's 2nd year of I-AA football.

gsu6trophies
October 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM

I guess playing at Paulson stadium against GSU is a gimme. **** JMU and that loser Mickey Mathews. The CAA sucks.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Al little OT here....Yeah, that was after the non fumble fumble. Everyone afterwards said the whistle should have blown. I remember some in the media calling it one of the worst blown calls they had ever seen. Even Macorelle (sp?) said he thought they were going to blow the whistle. To his credit, he didn't stop. Off the top of my head in all my years of watching JMU football I can't think of a worse call (or in this case non call) in a big game. MM had every right to be livid at that one. I bet if situation was reversed Keeler would have been absolutely livid too.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM

You're WRONG on that. Of JMU's 11 CAA opponents, JMU has a winning record against 8 of them. (Went through the game notes for past 2 seasons, and updated):
UD: UD leads 11-6
UR: UR leads series 14-12
W&M JMU leads series 16-14
Nova JMU leads series 8-7
Towson JMU leads series 14-5-1
UMass: UMass leads 7-5-1
UNH: JMU leads series
Maine: JMU leads 8-4
Northeastern: JMU leads 12-8
URI: JMU leads 6-3
Hofstra: JMU leads 6-2

And as far as JMU not being a very good football team year in and year out since 04', I also beg to differ. Actually, JMU had a winning record 8 of 10 years in the 90s.
90' no playoffs but pretty sure winning record, beat Navy
91' 2nd round playoffs
92' 4-7
93' 6-5
94' 2nd round playoffs
95' playoffs
96' 7-4
97' 5-6
98' 3-8
99' playoffs

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
1st of all this is MM's 9th season at JMU, so don't know where you get the 16 years from. An MM coached JMU team 1st faced ASU in 06' and MM coached JMU teams are 1-2 vs ASU.

So what about Duke. Duke is a BCS schools with a WINNING record. Duke beat UVA 31-0, worse than they beat JMU, but nobody has been saying anything about UR losing 16-0 to UVA. In the Sagarin ratings Duke is ranked 40th, ahead of 2/3 of the other I-A teams, and 49 of the 54 non BCS teams. I just shake my head when as you say "fokking idiots" trot out their ignorant "JMU got their arse kicked by Duke who sucks" talk.

I agree with you...It's pretty stupid to use the fact that I-AA (FCS) team lost to a I-A (FBS) team as an insult...Duke has more athletes on their roster than any FCS team in the country. Believe that. Every I-A team is SUPPOSED to beat every I-AA team.

Ya'll are blowing this App state over Michigan ***** out or proportion. That was a once in a lifetime thing. Just because they beat Michigan doesn't mean that FCS teams are supposed to beat FBS teams on a regular basis. Even the bad FBS schools have VERY good athletes and at least 20 more scholarships.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
They made the playoffs 5 times before 2004...hince not a very good team year in and year out until 2004. 5 times in 26 years (since 1978) is not very good. xpeacex
But I'll take 4 playoff appearances out of the last 5 years (assuming they make it this year) to skew those stats a little bit! xsmiley_wix

Check your history.
72' started football
74' varsity schedule (old college division)
78' JMU finished with a 8-2 record, reaching as high #9 in Div III.
79' 1st offered schollies and competed as a Div II.
80' competed as a Div II
81' 1st year competing as a I-AA.

So that was 5 times in 24 seasons. But 4 of those came during the 90s (see my previous post). I would agree yes, not a very good team in the 80s, but I would argue JMU had a good program for the most part during the 90s- 8 winning seasons in 10 years, the last 7 years being in the Yankee/A-10 (now CAA).

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Yeah, just like you "educated" 2-4 Northeastern, having to go to OT to beat them...

Granted, NE may be the top 2-4 team in the country this year given their 4 losses are 2 I-A games, @ GSU in OT, and a close one against UMass, with impressive wins against UC Davis and Towson.

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I guess playing at Paulson stadium against GSU is a gimme. **** JMU and that loser Mickey Mathews. The CAA sucks.

Well, if that was the case I guess the So-Con sucks worse?

JMU2004
October 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Very well thought out post. I concede to your superior logic.

DLS
October 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM
i really do love appfan.com:
--------------------------------------------------------

Got to hand it to Mickey Matthews. He always has an excuse ready. Always.

Earlier this week, the Fumblin’ Formidable Dukes coach basically said the SoCon is a cakewalk for App State. He’s already penciled them in for the title game. (Wonder if he’s bought tickets too?)

Appalachian’s got the schedule to win it,” Matthews said of the three-time defending national champion, which is ranked No. 2, with losses to Louisiana State and No. 1 JMU. “Their league’s not that good. Don’t put that down. They’re going to walk through their league and be well-rested for the playoffs and have everyone in Boone again, so that makes them the favorite. Until somebody makes them play a road playoff game, I think you’ve got to say Appalachian’s the favorite.”

Maybe he’s trying to psyche App out. Maybe he’s trying to motivate his players. Or maybe he just believes the CAA hype. Who knows? But, as of week seven, the SoCon is pretty well regarded.

The latest Football Championship Subdivision rankings say it all when it comes to the Southern Conference: Appalachian State is second, Elon is third, and Wofford is fourth.

That’s in the nation, by the way, not in the conference.

And let’s not forget Furman, which is No. 19 in that poll*. El Cid is No. 24.

That translates to five of nine SoCon teams among the nation’s top 25.

Meanwhile, the CAA has five - out of its 12 - teams in the top 11, James Madison (1), Villanova (7), Richmond (9), Massachusetts (10), New Hampshire (11). Not bad.

Now, let’s look at schedules. App State still has to play two top four teams, and a No. 19. (And though the Stink is not ranked, don’t think winning in Statesboro is easy).

The Dukes have one top 10 team (at Villanova) then three teams that are a combined 8-10 overall.

Oh, and after four head-to-head league matchues, the record stands at 2-2. Unranked Furman helped knock Delaware out of the polls, and the Stink beat unranked Northeastern.

So which league is tougher? Who knows. But if Mickey’s looking for excuses to his pre-ordained failures, he’s gonna have to come up with something better than this.

* For the record, we ignore polls. Their only purpose is to have something to argue about, and we’re never lacking in that anyway. The only poll that matters is the final standings.

89Hen
October 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Off the top of my head in all my years of watching JMU football I can't think of a worse call (or in this case non call) in a big game.
It was a terrible non-whistle, but unfortunately, I can think of many more worse calls in Hen history. xoopsx

Appaholic
October 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Not fair....you've displayed my ignorance regarding MM-coached JMU teams. The 16 years was a reference to not beating us since early '90's before this year. Forgive my ignorance and my rants......having a bad day and venting on MM...xpeacex....yes, fokking idiots might have been too strong....but you gotta admit, that's a pretty idiotic statement coming from MM considering the record we have against CAA teams in playoffs vs conference records for the past couple of years.....

89Hen
October 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I think MM was national coach of the year in his first year at JMU, no? Then heading into the 2004 season, there were a lot of JMU fans calling for his head. His coaching roller-coaster ride matches his speak his mind attitude I guess.

AshevilleApp2
October 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I disagree.... JMU went 9-2 in 04...hit the road Jack....9-2 in 06 and hit the road...... If history serves us right, if we don't win out, we will be sent packing!!

Did you beat three top 5 ranked teams in either of those years?

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Not fair....you've displayed my ignorance regarding MM-coached JMU teams. The 16 years was a reference to not beating us since early '90's before this year. Forgive my ignorance and my rants......having a bad day and venting on MM...xpeacex....yes, fokking idiots might have been too strong....but you gotta admit, that's a pretty idiotic statement coming from MM considering the record we have against CAA teams in playoffs vs conference records for the past couple of years.....

I believe his comments were directed at the rest of the SoCon, not ASU. Not excusing them, just saying I don't think he's basing his opinion on what ASU's doing.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Did you beat three top 5 ranked teams in either of those years?

Won't matter. We've just accepted the committee likes to see us on the road.

BDKJMU
October 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
i really do love appfan.com:
--------------------------------------------------------

Got to hand it to Mickey Matthews. He always has an excuse ready. Always.

Earlier this week, the Fumblin’ Formidable Dukes coach basically said the SoCon is a cakewalk for App State. He’s already penciled them in for the title game. (Wonder if he’s bought tickets too?)

Appalachian’s got the schedule to win it,” Matthews said of the three-time defending national champion, which is ranked No. 2, with losses to Louisiana State and No. 1 JMU. “Their league’s not that good. Don’t put that down. They’re going to walk through their league and be well-rested for the playoffs and have everyone in Boone again, so that makes them the favorite. Until somebody makes them play a road playoff game, I think you’ve got to say Appalachian’s the favorite.”

Maybe he’s trying to psyche App out. Maybe he’s trying to motivate his players. Or maybe he just believes the CAA hype. Who knows? But, as of week seven, the SoCon is pretty well regarded.

The latest Football Championship Subdivision rankings say it all when it comes to the Southern Conference: Appalachian State is second, Elon is third, and Wofford is fourth.

That’s in the nation, by the way, not in the conference.

And let’s not forget Furman, which is No. 19 in that poll*. El Cid is No. 24.

That translates to five of nine SoCon teams among the nation’s top 25.

Meanwhile, the CAA has five - out of its 12 - teams in the top 11, James Madison (1), Villanova (7), Richmond (9), Massachusetts (10), New Hampshire (11). Not bad.

Now, let’s look at schedules. App State still has to play two top four teams, and a No. 19. (And though the Stink is not ranked, don’t think winning in Statesboro is easy).

The Dukes have one top 10 team (at Villanova) then three teams that are a combined 8-10 overall.

Oh, and after four head-to-head league matchues, the record stands at 2-2. Unranked Furman helped knock Delaware out of the polls, and the Stink beat unranked Northeastern.

So which league is tougher? Who knows. But if Mickey’s looking for excuses to his pre-ordained failures, he’s gonna have to come up with something better than this.

* For the record, we ignore polls. Their only purpose is to have something to argue about, and we’re never lacking in that anyway. The only poll that matters is the final standings.

Well, whatever poll he's refering to is a joke. The have UR at #9, yet UR spanked the #3 Elon AT ELON 28-10. And they have 5-1 Nova (only loss was to WVU) who beat UR at #7. Much of that top 10 is a joke. Any logical poll would have Nova > UR > Elon.

DLS
October 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Well, whatever poll he's refering to is a joke. The have UR at #9, yet UR spanked the #3 Elon AT ELON 28-10. An they have 5-1 Nova (only loss was to WVU) who beat UR at #7. Much of that top 10 is a joke. Any logical poll would have Nova > UR > Elon.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

89Hen
October 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
The have UR at #9, yet UR spanked the #3 Elon AT ELON 28-10. An they have 5-1 Nova (only loss was to WVU) who beat UR at #7. Much of that top 10 is a joke. Any logical poll would have Nova > UR > Elon.
I don't have a problem with UR at #9, but to have Elon that far above them is an absolute joke. Nova > Richmond > Elon... I'd like to see the logic for having it any other way. xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I don't have a problem with UR at #9, but to have Elon that far above them is an absolute joke. Nova > Richmond > Elon... I'd like to see the logic for having it any other way. xeyebrowx

Like I said on the other thread...carry the one, divide by blue and then substract the triangle...Elon > Richmond

BDKJMU
October 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Like I said on the other thread...carry the one, divide by blue and then substract the triangle...Elon > Richmond

The reason the polls are crap is because sometimes they reward teams for playing an easier schedule and punish them for playing a harder one.

YoUDeeMan
October 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Rankings? Seeds? Are you serious? Hampton was a seed a few years back. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rankings/seeds mean nothing...especially when you see the two teams playing each other.

JMU should have beaten Appy. JMU clearly dominated most of that game and was the better team. Yet...they lost (ASU returned the favor this year).

I think JMU was better than YSU also, yet JMU managed to lose.

Go figure. xrolleyesx

Rankings. Seeds. This isn't FBS. Seriously, some of you guys are killing me. xlolx xlolx xlolx

AshevilleApp2
October 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Rankings? Seeds? Are you serious? Hampton was a seed a few years back. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rankings/seeds mean nothing...especially when you see the two teams playing each other.

JMU should have beaten Appy. JMU clearly dominated most of that game and was the better team. Yet...they lost (ASU returned the favor this year).

I think JMU was better than YSU also, yet JMU managed to lose.

Go figure. xrolleyesx

Rankings. Seeds. This isn't FBS. Seriously, some of you guys are killing me. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ranking don't matter much, but seeding does. Being a #1 or #2 seed gives you home field throughout, and home field does bring an advantage. Not a guaranteed win of course, but a definite advantage.

BDKJMU
October 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Dude, I quit going on the Wautuga Democrat online a few days after the ASU @ JMU game. Apparently you're still trolling the Harrisonburg Daily News Record online a month after that game to follow JMU. Pretty lame.

DunkandDukin
October 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not here all that much so don't have a real "feel" for these boards, but still, I don't get this. A coach pays a team and program a compliment, basically says your the best team in your conference and a lock for the postseason and the fans of that team bash the everliving crap outta him? huh? xconfusedx

AshevilleApp2
October 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not here all that much so don't have a real "feel" for these boards, but still, I don't get this. A coach pays a team and program a compliment, basically says your the best team in your conference and a lock for the postseason and the fans of that team bash the everliving crap outta him? huh? xconfusedx

It's been a few days since I read the original post, but I think the problem was Mickey saying that the Southern Conference is weak. Pick on our conference and we all respond.

DLS
October 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM

SOCON 4 LIFE.
TRAP OR DIE.

DunkandDukin
October 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I guess we can all read it a bit differently. I took it to mean Appy is the class of the SoCon, and I don't really think that's arguable. And while I pay attention, I don't study this stuff- when was the last Confernce loss with a healthy edwards in there? Weren't the two L's last year with him out?

OL FU
October 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Here is what I think, Mickey probably reads this message board and is sitting back laughing his ass offxlolx

BeauFoster
October 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Dude, I quit going on the Wautuga Democrat online a few days after the ASU @ JMU game. Apparently you're still trolling the Harrisonburg Daily News Record online a month after that game to follow JMU. Pretty lame.

It's called a Google Alert. Every morning, Google goes trolling online for anything tagged "Appalachian State", and sends me the links in an email. Sorry to burst your bubble.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
It's called a Google Alert. Every morning, Google goes trolling online for anything tagged "Appalachian State", and sends me the links in an email. Sorry to burst your bubble.

A lot of companies use that as well to see if they are getting any bad publicity. Nifty tool. Props on using it for football xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Great idea. How many irrelevant hits do you get? For instance, do you get any stories about the Appalachian Mountains in a State park? I would do it for JMU, but don't want every story about James Madison...

BeauFoster
October 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Great idea. How many irrelevant hits do you get? For instance, do you get any stories about the Appalachian Mountains in a State park? I would do it for JMU, but don't want every story about James Madison...

I normally have 15-20 articles a day during football season, sometimes fewer on Mondays. The only "trash" I get generally relates to the presidential election and Obama trying to gain ground in the "Appalachian states". They are easy to weed through, though. I very rarely get anything about the parks or the mountains themselves - I set the search up to only return "Appalachian State", so it has to hit on that exactly (plurals don't count for some reason).

I don't know how "James Madison University" would work. I bet you would miss out on a lot with the addition of university in it, but without it, you would likely get bombarded. Might be worth a shot, though. You can always cancel it.

BeauFoster
October 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Another cool thing about Google alerts - a member of the MMB used to set one up for each school on App's football schedule and would post relevant articles throughout the year. It was cool to keep up with opponents for the whole season, not just one week.

Syntax Error
October 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
when was the last Confernce loss with a healthy edwards in there? Weren't the two L's last year with him out?Wofford and Georgia Southern beat Edwards and App last year. xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
October 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Wofford beat Edwards and App last year. xcoffeex

In fact Edwards played so bad that he was pulled and Trey Elder was put in the game.

Hoboken Dukes
October 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
i for one am a big fan of mickey's bravado and braggadocio. if we were a finesse team that went 4 wide and tried to win that way, that'd be one thing. but we run the ball consistently (granted we use some misdirection, but for the most part you know what's coming). we smash it down the field and count on our big uglies up front and our monster qb to physically maul people. i want a coach that's going to make comments in keeping with the nature of our team.

Syntax Error
October 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
In fact Edwards played so bad that he was pulled and Trey Elder was put in the game.Didn't Wofford injure Edwards in the second half? Some App fans tend to throw players and coaches under the bus..... "Edwards played so bad" "Moore is gone"

BeauFoster
October 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Wofford and Georgia Southern beat Edwards and App last year. xcoffeex

Whoops, Edwards and the coaching staff both admit that he was still injured in the GSU game. He says himself that he shouldn't have been playing. And he was injured in the Wofford game, so JMU would be the first (and only) to beat a healthy Edwards.

BeauFoster
October 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
In fact Edwards played so bad that he was pulled and Trey Elder was put in the game.

I believe you are a little mistaken, here. Edwards re-injured his shoulder (for a third time that season) during the Wofford game. He was pulled because he was hurt.

DunkandDukin
October 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Whoops, Edwards and the coaching staff both admit that he was still injured in the GSU game. He says himself that he shouldn't have been playing. And he was injured in the Wofford game, so JMU would be the first (and only) to beat a healthy Edwards.

xeyebrowx So you've confirmed what I thought. So, if that's the case why would Appy fans get riled up by MM stating a truism- that they are the class of their conference. Who IS gonna beat App? What's the controversy there?!? xconfusedx

GATA
October 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
xeyebrowx So you've confirmed what I thought. So, if that's the case why would Appy fans get riled up by MM stating a truism- that they are the class of their conference. Who IS gonna beat App? What's the controversy there?!? xconfusedx

Yeah...but why bother using logic?

It's simple. App state fans are under the delusion that they have the most talented roster of athletes in FCS football and that Armanti Edwards is basically Jesus Christ in the form of a dread-headed skinny black boy from South Carolina. They feel like they should never be defeated by anyone when they're full strength because they're just THAT MUCH BETTER than everybody else...

...it's cute.

SideLine Shooter
October 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM

It's simple. App state fans are under the delusion that they have the most talented roster of athletes in FCS football and that Armanti Edwards is basically Jesus Christ in the form of a dread-headed skinny black boy from South Carolina. They feel like they should never be defeated by anyone when they're full strength because they're just THAT MUCH BETTER than everybody else...

...it's cute.

You really need to give the crack pipe a rest. xnodx

AppAlum2003
October 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM

...it's cute.

HA! This coming from a Georgia Southern fan? Seriously?!? Kettle... Pot...

james_lawfirm
October 18th, 2008, 05:37 AM

...it's cute.

GATA:
Just to add to the kettle & pot analogy a bit, GaSo relied on Foster last year more than App relies on AE. AE only plays QB, & Foster played every position on both sides of the ball (at least it seemed like it to me.)

Actually I agree with your statement above if you would just change "delusion" to "impression". App does feel it should not be beaten. THAT's what makes it so hard to beat. And, it's not just the fans, the team feels the same way. Good teams simply know how to win & expecting to win is part of it.

GaSo seems a little unsure of themselves this year. No Foster to rely on & many young players. BUT, I am sure that they will put forth their best game of the year this afternoon. Man, I wish I could be there.

BeauFoster
October 18th, 2008, 07:14 AM

I was simply stating that AE wasn't healthy for several games last year. And guess what? That was last year! ASU still has 6 SoCon games to play this year, there are 6 opportunities for teams to beat App. What I said has nothing to do with this year's SoCon.

I would bet that Mickey hasn't scouted any SoCon teams besides ASU (maybe saw Elon against Richmond). He doesn't have a clue anymore than you or I who has a chance to beat App.

DLS
October 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Didn't Wofford injure Edwards in the second half? Some App fans tend to throw players and coaches under the bus..... "Edwards played so bad" "Moore is gone"

NO, FOR THE LAST TIME, APP FANS WILL NOT GIVE MONEY TO AGS. PLEASE QUIT ASKING!

th0m
November 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
I hate to bring up this thread...

But Mickey told you so.

South Carolina Duke
November 1st, 2008, 09:13 AM
That showing by #3 just validated the SOS of the SoCon as well as Mickey's comments.

fcsfootball71
November 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
After watching the game last night.....I don't think JMU would have had a chance to win either.....no need to worry about a hail mary then ;)

JMU DUUUKES
November 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
That showing by #3 just validated the SOS of the SoCon as well as Mickey's comments.

Its just awkward when the blunt truth statements show to be right. Nobody's saying App isnt a great team, they absolutely are, but they have outgrown their conference, at least for now.

alexale23
November 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
After watching the game last night.....I don't think JMU would have had a chance to win either.....no need to worry about a hail mary then ;)

What about after watching the game on sept 20

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Its just awkward when the blunt truth statements show to be right. Nobody's saying App isnt a great team, they absolutely are, but they have outgrown their conference, at least for now.

Just wait till next year!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM

For the third time, take a look at App State's schedule and results. They are not dominating the SoCon in the same fashion that they did in 2005 or 2006. Not even close. Please take a look at the big picture before trying to make a judgement based on one game.

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM

That Mickey is a genius!xlolx xlolx

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Furman showed that ASU's offense can be defensed. Wofford didn't play well. However, I'd put the Terriers up against just about any FCS team and expect a win.

19Duke97
November 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM

You are incorrect sir. JMU has had a decent to excellent football program since the mid 80's save the Alex Wood debaucle. In fact, we have an overall winning record, and lead most series' we have a long standing relationships in save Delaware I believe. Remember we made the playoffs 4 times in the 90's - not exactly a bad team type record.