PDA

View Full Version : Hampton still undefeated

blackfordpu
November 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Hampton defeated Bethune Cookman 24-10 to stay undefeated. I don't care what you say about SOS, going 9-0 is impressive, especially this season. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=253092065&confId=81

JohnStOnge
November 5th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Nice thing is: In I-AA, what people think about their schedule isn't going to matter that much. Might mean they have to play on the road, but if they're good enough they can win on the road.

blur2005
November 5th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Meh, I'm still not sold.

crunifan
November 5th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I've never even heard of Bethune Cookman...

Wellington
November 5th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Im sure they have to be pretty good, but by judging their schedule it looks really easy.

Hampton86
November 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Crunifan,

Just because you've never heard of Bethune-Cookman College, located in Daytona Beach, Florida does not mean the school does not have a good football program.

I'm not surprised that many of those who post messages on this website are familiar with black colleges and universities.

Just because I may not know much about Maine, Richmond or any of the other non-HBCUs does not mean they're not worthy to compete in this division.

PantherMan
November 5th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Nice thing is: In I-AA, what people think about their schedule isn't going to matter that much. Might mean they have to play on the road, but if they're good enough they can win on the road.

Agreed. Things get settled on the field, and the overrated become exposed awful quickly when they face playoff teams...of course in this case Hampton could prove us all wrong...or not.

Dallas Demon
November 5th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Crunifan,

Just because you've never heard of Bethune-Cookman College, located in Daytona Beach, Florida does not mean the school does not have a good football program.

I'm not surprised that many of those who post messages on this website are familiar with black colleges and universities.

Just because I may not know much about Maine, Richmond or any of the other non-HBCUs does not mean they're not worthy to compete in this division.

I agree. Traditionally, Bethune-Cookman has been very strong in football. Not sure why anyone wouldn't have heard of them before.

SeattleGriz
November 5th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Crunifan,

What does HBCU's vs non-HBCU's have to do with it? I would just say Crunifan hasn't heard of Bethune-Cookman that is all. Just a couple of years ago, I had no idea who Wofford was.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2005, 11:31 PM
When was the last time BCC was a top level 1AA team?

Hampton is 9-0 which is super. They don't play any top teams in 1AA which understandably calls into question how good they truly are. The nice thing is that we will find out.

GrizSweeper
November 5th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Yeh I cant wait to see what the committee will do with them, and also what they will do once in the playoffs, are these guys for real? we'll know in a few weeks wont we

mainejeff
November 6th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Hampton is probably as weak as Colgate was........woops, didn't they make it to Chatty? :eek:

TigerFan17
November 6th, 2005, 01:03 AM
What does HBCU's vs non-HBCU's have to do with it? I would just say Crunifan hasn't heard of Bethune-Cookman that is all. Just a couple of years ago, I had no idea who Wofford was.

Ditto.

A friend of mine went to Furman and we would just make fun of him because the abbreviation for the school was FU. I had never heard of it. Non I-A schools that aren't close to where someone is aren't really known outside of their areas. Thats the second Hampton fan to play the race card in a week...I don't get it...why so defensive?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Hampton is probably as weak as Colgate was........woops, didn't they make it to Chatty? :eek:

:lmao:

13 is going to love you for that one.

Punchykky
November 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Well,,,if Hampton defeats FAMU and SSU in the next couple of weeks, that would be nice.

blackfordpu
November 6th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Well,,,if Hampton defeats FAMU and SSU in the next couple of weeks, that would be nice.

If they don't they will drop significantly in the polls and in playoff brackets. They need to go atleast 1-1 in the next couple weeks.

Hampton86
November 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM
IT'S FUNNY.
When someone from, let's say your school STANDS UP and makes GREAT POINTS (I might add) about your school, it's being proud.

But when someone is representing an HBCU, it's being defensive and throwing out the RACE CARD.

Get over it. The race card is played EVERYDAY in college athletics. Think about it, I'm sure you're a smart guy.

:bang:

blackfordpu
November 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Why was the race card played in the first place. THIS IS FOOTBALL PEOPLE! xidiotx

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 05:25 PM
IT'S FUNNY.
When someone from, let's say your school STANDS UP and makes GREAT POINTS (I might add) about your school, it's being proud.

But when someone is representing an HBCU, it's being defensive and throwing out the RACE CARD.

Get over it. The race card is played EVERYDAY in college athletics. Think about it, I'm sure you're a smart guy.

please go back and read some of the posts involving HBCU fans and you will see what they are talking about, not all, but a select few have blatantly thrown it out there

and no one is arguing against you just b/c of your school or the color of your skin, they just disagree, thats what we do here, its what college football is all about during the season, good thing for us, I-AA is settled on the field

JMUfan2008
November 6th, 2005, 05:25 PM
IT'S FUNNY.

HE did not throw out the race card, that had already been done... The point, which was probably correct, that the reason that they did not know what BCC was because it's not a major school and not around them is most likely true. Yet, you felt the need to throw in that it was a HBCU... Like blackfordpu said, it's football. Use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule and go with the most obvious reason that it's a smaller school not close enough to him that he would know about it. I had never heard of it either, but then again I haven't heard of a lot of schools.

ASU Kep
November 6th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I really didn't get the impression that he meant to "play" it...but I do think Hampton is terribly over-rated. I believe Tennesee State went 11-0 in 1999 and got crushed in the playoffs. Hampton's a good team and I think they'd work themselves into the top 15 playing in most conferences. Do they deserve to be in the playoffs? Absolutely. Do they deserve a seed? Nope. Just my $0.02.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I really didn't get the impression that he meant to "play" it...but I do think Hampton is terribly over-rated. I believe Tennesee State went 11-0 in 1999 and got crushed in the playoffs. Hampton's a good team and I think they'd work themselves into the top 15 playing in most conferences. Do they deserve to be in the playoffs? Absolutely. Do they deserve a seed? Nope. Just my $0.02.

completely agree, anyone deserves a playoff spot for going undefeated, but when it comes to getting a seed, and being one of the best 4 teams in the country entering the playoffs, you've gotta prove that against playoff caliber competition, and if memory serves me correctly, Hampton has not played anyone who would warrant consideration for a playoff berth

blackfordpu
November 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
completely agree, anyone deserves a playoff spot for going undefeated, but when it comes to getting a seed, and being one of the best 4 teams in the country entering the playoffs, you've gotta prove that against playoff caliber competition, and if memory serves me correctly, Hampton has not played anyone who would warrant consideration for a playoff berth

They did beat SCSU who I think was in the AGS top 25 at some point this season.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM

yes, but nowhere near a playoff team

rokamortis
November 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM

SCSU is currently in the AGS top 25.

Punchykky
November 6th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Tennessee State did go 11-0 in the OVC in 1999. They lost in the playoffs because they had a whole lot of injuries to key players.
Listen,,,if ANY D1-AA football team goes undefeated during their respective season, I believe that team should get a seed. IMHHO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Tennessee State did go 11-0 in the OVC in 1999. They lost in the playoffs because they had a whole lot of injuries to key players.
Listen,,,if ANY D1-AA football team goes undefeated during their respective season, I believe that team should get a seed. IMHHO.

Didn't Duquense go undefeated a couple years ago? They should have been a seed? They didn't even make the playoffs let alone have any chance for a top 4 seed.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 08:55 PM

so, let me get this straight, if any team goes 11-0 they deserve a seed, no matter if 1/2 of those games are against teams with losing records and they have only played 1 ranked team all year

how about no..............

colgate13
November 6th, 2005, 10:26 PM
:lmao:

13 is going to love you for that one.

Yes, that was pretty sweet.

I hold that as Exhibit A when putting Hampton down. Undefeated ain't easy to do. That's a good team they've got.

Hamptongal
November 6th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Ditto.

A friend of mine went to Furman and we would just make fun of him because the abbreviation for the school was FU. I had never heard of it. Non I-A schools that aren't close to where someone is aren't really known outside of their areas. Thats the second Hampton fan to play the race card in a week...I don't get it...why so defensive?
I fail to see the race card.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Crunifan,

crunifan said he had never heard of bethne cookman, then someone posted this^^, thats where it started

Hamptongal
November 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM
crunifan said he had never heard of bethne cookman, then someone posted this^^, thats where it started
that's still not a race card. It's the same thing as Montana saying that east coast doesn't respect west coast. People think their conference is the best, teams they play are the best, and PWC rarely play HBCUs. When somebody says black colleges and universities, it is just a classification, not the race card. That distinction needs to be understood. I made this point in another thread, nobody accuses people of throwing out the A-10 card, so can we all just agree that everybody is going to defend their conferences. It's called loyalty.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 10:58 PM
that's still not a race card. It's the same thing as Montana saying that east coast doesn't respect west coast. People think their conference is the best, teams they play are the best, and PWC rarely play HBCUs. When somebody says black colleges and universities, it is just a classification, not the race card. That distinction needs to be understood. I made this point in another thread, nobody accuses people of throwing out the A-10 card, so can we all just agree that everybody is going to defend their conferences. It's called loyalty.

i understand the distinction clearly, but I think even some of your own fans don't seperate the two, thats the problem, nobody from the "PWC's" wants to talk about race, but when people criticize Hampton or another HBCU, it is always assumed that its b/c of race, and I have explained this many times

I respect every school, however, i do not respect every football team; that is based on performance, SOS, etc, and Hampton has just not shown me anything, black or white, thats not the issue, football is the issue

Hamptongal
November 6th, 2005, 11:01 PM
i understand the distinction clearly, but I think even some of your own fans don't seperate the two, thats the problem, nobody from the "PWC's" wants to talk about race, but when people criticize Hampton or another HBCU, it is always assumed that its b/c of race, and I have explained this many times

I respect every school, however, i do not respect every football team; that is based on performance, SOS, etc, and Hampton has just not shown me anything, black or white, thats not the issue, football is the issue

Regardless of the fact that they have a weak schedule, it is still difficult to beat every team. Then again, nobody has to show you anything. Maybe you assume it's because of race when somebody criticizes Hampton, and maybe that's the problem.

putter
November 6th, 2005, 11:05 PM
The nice thing is if Hampton finishes undefeated then they get to step on the field and prove people right or wrong! The beauty of not having a computer do the thinking or playing for us!!! ;)

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Regardless of the fact that they have a weak schedule, it is still difficult to beat every team. Then again, nobody has to show you anything. Maybe you assume it's because of race when somebody criticizes Hampton, and maybe that's the problem.

i never said it was easy to beat every team

you are right, you don't have to show me anything; your football team does if they want national respect, but i know how thats gonne be responded to

i don't assume anything, as a fan of a non-HBCU school, why the hell would i want to throw out something like that to create ****; as a matter of fact, and i didn't want to go here, but i will, most of the time it is your own fans stirring up ****, so take that for whats it worth, go back and look at the threads discussing HBCU's and see why those threads were locked, I believe you will see various fans of HBCU teams accusing others blatantly of being racist, need i remind you and them that this a discussion board for football, and football only

Catmendue2
November 6th, 2005, 11:40 PM
i never said it was easy to beat every team

you are right, you don't have to show me anything; your football team does if they want national respect, but i know how thats gonne be responded to

i don't assume anything, as a fan of a non-HBCU school, why the hell would i want to throw out something like that to create ****; as a matter of fact, and i didn't want to go here, but i will, most of the time it is your own fans stirring up ****, so take that for whats it worth, go back and look at the threads discussing HBCU's and see why those threads were locked, I believe you will see various fans of HBCU teams accusing others blatantly of being racist, need i remind you and them that this a discussion board for football, and football only

No, you need to remind yourself of that fact. You seem to have a problem with anything HBCU. Now, call it what you like.

youwouldno
November 6th, 2005, 11:46 PM
If there was a HBCU with a strong schedule and good record, then that team would get respect.

Hampton has a good record, weak schedule, hence less respect.

The playoffs are a different story. Win there, and there is no disputing a team's worth. Many of us just doubt Hampton is going to do well in the playoffs.

inpsite1919
November 7th, 2005, 12:08 AM
If there was a HBCU with a strong schedule and good record, then that team would get respect.

The playoffs are a different story. Win there, and there is no disputing a team's worth. Many of us just doubt Hampton is going to do well in the playoffs.

check the records SCSU has one of the toughest sos and there an HBCU
our only two loses came to Hampton and Coastal by a combined five points.
our record is great where is our RESPECT???????

inpsite1919
November 7th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Right now SCSU'S SOS IS #5 TIED WITH JMU

youwouldno
November 7th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Who has SCSU beaten?

Not a bad team-- equal to Hampton probably-- but no good wins. Alabama St. is OK, and that's your best win. I have nothing against SCSU but not a playoff team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Who has SCSU beaten?

Not a bad team-- equal to Hampton probably-- but no good wins. Alabama St. is OK, and that's your best win. I have nothing against SCSU but not a playoff team.

SCSU has 2 decent wins, Alabama St and Bethune Cookman, and 2 "good" losses against Hampton and Coastal, other than that everyone they played is bad to putrid.

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 01:56 AM

What is considered "well" when playing in the playoffs?

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Gee I wonder where the term PWC came from? :rolleyes: PWC and HBCU are school terms, not football terms. There is no PWC or HBCU in NCAA football, no race at ALL.

Ralph,

Please stop trying to split hairs. PWCs are what they are...Predominantly White Colleges. HBCUs are what they are...Historically Black College & Universities.

Menudo
November 7th, 2005, 02:12 AM
So lets stop talking about this whole race card issue and get back to some football.

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Is PWC a term you made up based on race?? You are splitting more than hairs by throwing around racial terms on a football messageboard.

You have been to MEACFans and TSPN. The term PWC is used all the time. Its not a racial term when it is applicable to the school it is used for.

Good grief man...get over it! Its not that big of a deal.

Sam Adams
November 7th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Hampton will get its chance to prove itself in the playoffs. Lets just wait and see if they are as good as advertised.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
No, you need to remind yourself of that fact. You seem to have a problem with anything HBCU. Now, call it what you like.

i have a problem with any team that hasn't proven themselves, HBCU or not, don't ASS----U----ME anything

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 07:17 AM

and they lost to the only 2 teams that were decent on their schedule

and 2 teams that haven't garnered much respect at that

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
So lets stop talking about this whole race card issue and get back to some football.

thats the problem, i think that some people on here think we are against their team b/c they are an "HBCU" when in actuality its b/c their team has not proven themselves, I have said the same think about Coastal and Texas St, whats the difference

# 1 BearBooster
November 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM
ralph: You know like I know Meacfans is a race obsorbed site in all aspects of its discussion about sports and anything else. The only place I have seen anything like it is on white supremist and racist sites. Although on those sites particpants and members tend be obsorbed with derogatory slights toward Blacks and other minorities in general, on sites like Meacfans most participants and members are sensitive to any slight perceived or real shown by the majority society toward Blacks.

Whenever there's something critical said about Hampton or other co-called 'HBCU's' teams/programs its taken as a slight perpetuated by race not just a criticism of athletics. It's unfortunate some Black people can not rise above the racial victim mentality. However, this seems to be the general state of things in most of Black America. (If your consistently being told your a victim of unjust criticism by your so-called leaders, you believe that you're a victim even when you're not.)

lucchesicourt
November 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Being a UCD alumnus, I can see that SOS makes a huge difference in the rankings, and how people judge the quality of your team. A team that does not play many top 25 teams loses some credibility. Also, losses to top 25 teams hurts you in the rankings, as these are the teams you NEED to beat to win a championship. Hence, those teams that play top 25 teams consistantly, have their ownplayoff destiny in hand , but those that do not, have to hope that they are chosen to be in the playoffs. If you beat top 25 teams you are IN!!! So, SOS schedule is a good way of determining the quality of a winning team. Those that play lesser teams are sort of like UCD, in that they are hard to judge. UCD being hot and cold (so what team will show up), and Hampton Univ. what teams have been a chaleenge to prove the overall quality of the team. I do believe any undefeated team deserves a playoff opportunity, but a top seed, NO. They need to play more top talent to earn this.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM
ralph: You know like I know Meacfans is a race obsorbed site in all aspects of its discussion about sports and anything else. The only place I have seen anything like it is on white supremist and racist sites. Although on those sites particpants and members tend be obsorbed with derogatory slights toward Blacks and other minorities in general, on sites like Meacfans most participants and members are sensitive to any slight perceived or real shown by the majority society toward Blacks.

Whenever there's something critical said about Hampton or other co-called 'HBCU's' teams/programs its taken as a slight perpetuated by race not just a criticism of athletics. It's unfortunate some Black people can not rise above the racial victim mentality. However, this seems to be the general state of things in most of Black America. (If your consistently being told your a victim of unjust criticism by your so-called leaders, you believe that your a victim even when you're not.)

well put

Menudo
November 7th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Ill can honestly tell you the difference. This is my opinion and how I feel. Some people always have their guard up because race is such a big issue. Its been an issue all their life, and unless you have lived that life, then you will never know. I can say most African Americans have dealt with the same things all their life and race has always been a part of the issue. Its 2005 and two days ago I had a person call me NiG*er to my face twice. I'm not saying that everyone is racist, but there is a lot of people that make you feel like you are not up to standard because of the color of your skin. As much as we want to say its not true, I can say from my perspective it is a reality. There is always events such as mine two days ago that remind you that you are perceived differently.
***Getting off my soapbox now****

# 1 BearBooster
November 7th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Menudo: For ever act of prejudice I experienced, I can name 20 acts of geniune fairness and kindness that has provided me opportunity to succeed.

Facts: Prejudice exist in America and the world not just toward Blacks but towards all kinds of people. The difference in America is that this is not the common view and general practice of the society or its government.

Let's keep this site a sports site and rise above our individual prejudices against others. I found the criticisms and compliments here fair and not mean spirited or prompted by racial prejudice. Let's talk about teams, not HBCU's or PWC's....The athletes are playing for teams and each other. I was once a athlete and I always played for the respect and love of my team mates. If folk here keep that idea in mind I think we'll all be better off.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Ill can honestly tell you the difference. This is my opinion and how I feel. Some people always have their guard up because race is such a big issue. Its been an issue all their life, and unless you have lived that life, then you will never know. I can say most African Americans have dealt with the same things all their life and race has always been a part of the issue. Its 2005 and two days ago I had a person call me NiG*er to my face twice. I'm not saying that everyone is racist, but there is a lot of people that make you feel like you are not up to standard because of the color of your skin. As much as we want to say its not true, I can say from my perspective it is a reality. There is always events such as mine two days ago that remind you that you are perceived differently.
***Getting off my soapbox now****

but we are talking about football on an internet discussion board, and i think that bringing race into it is a little much

i live in NC, and I've seen hate groups first hand, and yes, the things they do are ridiculous, but nobody on here from a "PWC" has brought up race. It has always been a fan of an "HBCU" member, so i wonder, if its such an issue in society, why bring it here too? Why would you bring it on yourself? I think that is what is happening(not racism in society, on here) just to clarify, sounded worse than i wanted it to

# 1 BearBooster
November 7th, 2005, 08:04 AM
I plan to attend the Hampton - FAMU Game this weekend. I will post my assessment of this team - weaknesses and strengths.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I plan to attend the Hampton - FAMU Game this weekend. I will post my assessment of this team - weaknesses and strengths.

please do, i haven't seen them in person, but just looking at scores, they haven't been blowing out weaker teams

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 09:36 AM
please do, i haven't seen them in person, but just looking at scores, they haven't been blowing out weaker teams

So just because they haven't blown out weaker teams, thats suppose to mean something?

BTW - the term HBCU is officially recognized by the federal government.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
So just because they haven't blown out weaker teams, thats suppose to mean something?

BTW - the term HBCU is officially recognized by the federal government.

yes, it means they are just that, barely better than those teams they are beating

mlbowl
November 7th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Let's keep this site a sports site and rise above our individual prejudices against others. I found the criticisms and compliments here fair and not mean spirited or prompted by racial prejudice. Let's talk about teams, not HBCU's or PWC's....The athletes are playing for teams and each other. I was once a athlete and I always played for the respect and love of my team mates. If folk here keep that idea in mind I think we'll all be better off.

:beerchug:

# 1 BearBooster
November 7th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Same Old G: The Federal Government needs to drop the HBCU handle too. They don't specifically identify white universities and colleges. You know why?
Because there is no such thing. The sooner we eliminate all racial contentions and delineation in America the better off all us will be. These are American Universities and colleges.

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Gee I wonder where the term PWC came from? :rolleyes: PWC and HBCU are school terms, not football terms. There is no PWC or HBCU in NCAA football, no race at ALL.
That doesn't make it any less true. You are amazing at taking things out of context. Schools that are known as HBCUs don't play very often against teams outside of the MEAC and SWAC. But, you knew exactly what I meant, you just chose to ignore the intent. In life there is race, if there was no race in football than Fischer Deberry and Joe Pa wouldn't be in hot water right now. Please...
Secondly, did you read the whole thing that I said, I said it wasn't racial discrimination and that it wasn't racism, it was a lack of knowledge. Amazing that you pick and choose what you take out of my statements.

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 10:02 AM

My actual comments when read fully in context.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 10:06 AM
In life there is race, if there was no race in football than Fischer Deberry and Joe Pa wouldn't be in hot water right now. Please...

just like picking and choosing 2 ignorant old guys................

putter
November 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM
But if you take your example about Montana it still comes down to whom you have played. The people of the A-10 say it is their conference because the overall strength of their teams and that historically the Big Sky has been a 1 team race (true up until now). When you have been to 5 of the last 10 National Championship games you EARN that respect. Hampton made the playoffs last year and probably will this year. Win some playoff games and you will see your team given more respect because of what they have done on the field -> race has nothing to do with it. Have you noticed that all teams have both black and white players on them?

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 10:54 AM
But if you take your example about Montana it still comes down to whom you have played. The people of the A-10 say it is their conference because the overall strength of their teams and that historically the Big Sky has been a 1 team race (true up until now). When you have been to 5 of the last 10 National Championship games you EARN that respect. Hampton made the playoffs last year and probably will this year. Win some playoff games and you will see your team given more respect because of what they have done on the field -> race has nothing to do with it. Have you noticed that all teams have both black and white players on them?
I didn't say they didn't earn their respect, however just because the MEAC conference is weaker than the A10 doesn't mean that somebody isn't going to defend Hampton's ability. When was the last time half these people actually saw Hampton play?
Thanks, I know all teams have both white and black players on them, but to say race doesn't exist is just ridiculous. I mentioned those two old men, because it shows that people do have a sensitivity to race. If you choose to take my comments out of context, that is fine. Just shows that you pick and choose, rather than taking it within the realm of what I am saying. Do, I think people make too big a deal out of race on this board? Yep, but I think people feed into it. Does Hampton deserve a lot of respect on the IAA playing field, not yet, I don't think they do until they do something to get excited about against a top ten team. I still love 'em and I'm still gonna defend them for being a good undefeated team.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I didn't say they didn't earn their respect, however just because the MEAC conference is weaker than the A10 doesn't mean that somebody isn't going to defend Hampton's ability. When was the last time half these people actually saw Hampton play?
Thanks, I know all teams have both white and black players on them, but to say race doesn't exist is just ridiculous. I mentioned those two old men, because it shows that people do have a sensitivity to race. If you choose to take my comments out of context, that is fine. Just shows that you pick and choose, rather than taking it within the realm of what I am saying. Do, I think people make too big a deal out of race on this board? Yep, but I think people feed into it. Does Hampton deserve a lot of respect on the IAA playing field, not yet, I don't think they do until they do something to get excited about against a top ten team. I still love 'em and I'm still gonna defend them for being a good undefeated team.

my point was, there are ignorant people on both sides

89Hen
November 7th, 2005, 11:02 AM
at historically the Big Sky has been a 1 team race (true up until now).
It's still Montana's for the taking every year. MSU wiggled their way up there a couple times, EWU had a good year last year and Montana is a great team, but I still think that if you put them in the SoCon or A10, they're not going to the playoffs umpteen years in a row.

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 11:02 AM
my point was, there are ignorant people on both sides
Then you and I agree. :eek:

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM
There is no race or PWC/HBCU in college football, it is not a sports classification. It is not the same as conference, it is not sports loyalty.

Hampton's classification in football is I-AA, not HBCU

putter
November 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
It's still Montana's for the taking every year. MSU wiggled their way up there a couple times, EWU had a good year last year and Montana is a great team, but I still think that if you put them in the SoCon or A10, they're not going to the playoffs umpteen years in a row.

I partially agree with that comment as who knows if we make the playoffs for as long as we have but we have a decent record against OOC teams when we play them, including the A-10 (you still have to put quality teams on the field) which makes my point of earning your respect over time. What would people be saying about the Griz if we make the playoffs 13 years in a row but never make it to the NC game? The same thing as they are saying towards Hampton now-->weak conference. Hampton fans should defend their team as they are having a great year and criticism is difficult to take when you are winning but we will see on the field.

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Hampton's classification in football is I-AA, not HBCU
Who are the schools that make up the MEAC and SWAC? Go to every website that is represented in these conferences. Hampton plays teams mostly within the MEAC and the SWAC, which happen to be at HBCUs, which means relatively little except that they rarely play schools in other conferences. That has nothing do with race, once again. I understand what their classification is in football, but look at the schools that make up those two conferences. My point was that it had nothing to do with race, it had to do with a loyalty to the MEAC.
Look at Hampton's schedule. Remind me which team doesn't come from an HBCU. I am not saying the team is an HBCU, I am saying that the schools are. These are the schools they play against. Again, misreading what I was saying. You have a talent Ralph. And yes, it has everything to do with loyalty to their conference.

Hampton86
November 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM
You're right. I did NOT mention BCC being an HBCU as a deliberate way of injecting race into the conversation.

But far too many times, HBCU schools, which ARE small in numbers in Division II are mis-understood simply by who they are and not where they're located.

If I offended anyone, I'm MAN enough to apologize.

Let's take it to the field and settle it. Come on playoffs.... :D

putter
November 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Who are the schools that make up the MEAC and SWAC? Go to every website that is represented in these conferences. Hampton plays teams mostly within the MEAC and the SWAC, which happen to be at HBCUs, which means relatively little except that they rarely play schools in other conferences. That has nothing do with race, once again. I understand what their classification is in football, but look at the schools that make up those two conferences. My point was that it had nothing to do with race, it had to do with a loyalty to the MEAC.
Look at Hampton's schedule. Remind me which team doesn't come from an HBCU. I am not saying the team is an HBCU, I am saying that the schools are. These are the schools they play against. Again, misreading what I was saying. You have a talent Ralph. And yes, it has everything to do with loyalty to their conference.

The only way to remedy the situation is to make your voice heard to the AD and have Hampton play a toughter OOC schedule and..problem solved..

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
The only way to remedy the situation is to make your voice heard to the AD and have Hampton play a toughter OOC schedule and..problem solved..
Amen, but they have been working towards that, for example, last year, a year after Western Ill. was a great team we had them on our schedule. Things just didn't pan out for them last year. We will continue to grow and move upwards and outwards. Hampton has tried (arguably to some) to break out of their little corner and spread their football love, it's just a process.
HU 86, I was trying to explain that it was just meant as widely used term within the MEAC, not as a race thing but I didn't do a very good job, I guess. :confused: :rolleyes:

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 11:28 AM
i guess my only question is: is there a real need for the moniker HBCU? or PWC for that matter?

putter
November 7th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I agree Hamptongal,

You make your schedule in advance and how good those teams turn out to be can help or hurt you but if you schedule A-10, SoCon, or top PLC teams then people have no basis for bashing a schedule because conference is conference and you have not control of that.

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 11:36 AM
i guess my only question is: is there a real need for the moniker HBCU? or PWC for that matter?
No, you are correct people should be more specific within the realm of football and say the MEAC and SWAC. But it does describe those schools, and those schools are definitely proud of their tradition, and part of that tradition is being an HBCU and part of it is football so those things can get intertwined. Maybe it's offensive to some, but within the context of what most people are trying to convey, it isn't all about race.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM
No, you are correct people should be more specific within the realm of football and say the MEAC and SWAC. But it does describe those schools, and those schools are definitely proud of their tradition, and part of that tradition is being an HBCU and part of it is football so those things can get intertwined. Maybe it's offensive to some, but within the context of what most people are trying to convey, it isn't all about race.

but don't you think that it would be better to describe and promote the schools individually, as opposed to just grouping them together(HBCU)

and if you prefer to use HBCU, then why is it used in football when it has no distinction whatsoever, and IMHO, no place at all on this discussion board

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM
but don't you think that it would be better to describe and promote the schools individually, as opposed to just grouping them together(HBCU)

and if you prefer to use HBCU, then why is it used in football when it has no distinction whatsoever, and IMHO, no place at all on this discussion board
Being a Hampton fan I would love to distinguish Hampton from everybody else because of course they are way better than everybody else. OF course...
However, if the conference stinks then it makes Hampton look like a joke so, I would like the conference to be great so Hampton can be the greatest in a great conference. The better the conference, the better the winner of the conference.

inpsite1919
November 7th, 2005, 11:45 AM
No it is not.

As of last week here is the Massey SoS for I-AA teams:
1 Citadel
2 Appalachian St
3 Portland St
4 Montana
5 UC Davis
6 Northeastern
7 Montana St
8 CS Sacramento
9 Cal Poly SLO
10 Sam Houston St
11 W Carolina
12 Wofford
13 Ga Southern
14 Northwestern LA
15 Indiana St
16 Richmond
17 Weber St
18 Villanova
19 Chattanooga
20 E Kentucky
21 Illinois St
22 Idaho St
23 N Dakota St
24 S Utah
25 Furman
26 W Illinois
27 N Arizona
28 New Hampshire
29 E Washington
30 Nicholls St
31 McNeese St
32 Rhode Island
33 SE Louisiana
34 Harvard
35 Maine
36 N Iowa
37 William & Mary
38 Texas St
39 Elon
40 Princeton
41 Massachusetts
42 W Kentucky
43 Delaware
44 James Madison
45 Missouri St
46 Dartmouth
47 SE Missouri St
48 SF Austin
49 S Dakota St
50 Cornell
51 Hofstra
52 Brown
53 Liberty
54 Youngstown St
55 E Illinois
56 Coastal Car
57 N Colorado
58 Colgate
59 Fordham
60 S Illinois
61 TN Martin
62 Yale
63 Jacksonville St
64 Samford
65 Murray St
66 Columbia
67 Bucknell
68 VMI
69 Penn
70 Lafayette
71 Holy Cross
72 Lehigh
73 Towson
74 Delaware St
75 S Carolina St
76 Georgetown
77 Tennessee Tech
78 Florida A&M
79 Gardner Webb
80 TX Southern
81 Tennessee St
82 NC A&T
83 Ark Pine Bluff
84 Albany NY
85 Hampton
86 Morgan St
87 Jackson St
88 Grambling
89 Norfolk St
90 Stony Brook
91 Drake
92 Alabama St
93 Southern Univ
94 Duquesne
95 Central Conn
96 Alabama A&M
97 San Diego
98 Monmouth NJ
99 Alcorn St
100 Howard
101 Marist
102 Sacred Ht
103 Bethune-Cookman
104 MS Valley St
105 Robert Morris
106 Prairie View
107 Charleston So
108 Butler
109 St Peter's
110 Savannah St
111 Dayton
112 St Francis PA
113 Wagner
114 Valparaiso
115 Davidson
116 Austin Peay
117 Morehead St
118 Iona
119 Jacksonville
120 La Salle

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/mainpage.jsp

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Being a Hampton fan I would love to distinguish Hampton from everybody else because of course they are way better than everybody else. OF course...
However, if the conference stinks then it makes Hampton look like a joke so, I would like the conference to be great so Hampton can be the greatest in a great conference. The better the conference, the better the winner of the conference.

but like I said, the term HBCU does not promote Hampton or its football program, or the rest of the conference, so really, what is the use?

putter
November 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Let me ask this. Is HBCU used more as a marketing ploy for the classic games? By lumping "HBCU" schools together it, in a way, gives them a separate identity that people relate to them and thus advertise the classic games for the HBCU fan, which, unfortunately separates them from the I-AA fan as a whole.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Let me ask this. Is HBCU used more as a marketing ploy for the classic games? By lumping "HBCU" schools together it, in a way, gives them a separate identity that people relate to them and thus advertise the classic games for the HBCU fan, which, unfortunately separates them from the I-AA fan as a whole.

thats kind of my point, u can't have it both ways

Hamptongal
November 7th, 2005, 12:38 PM
thats kind of my point, u can't have it both ways
I think in a way you can have it both ways, however with stipulations. Hampton has two or three classics they participate in every year which provides them a great deal of money, so they can put in bids for home games in the playoffs, and have a greater chance of success (doesn't guarantee a win, but it helps). Home team advantage is helpful, although not everything. Hopefully, Hampton will be a model of this type of success. We shall see. :nod:

Stang Fever
November 7th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Thats what this board should read.....NOW in the defense of Hampton.....they prob. have a really good team cause regardless of the fact they are still undefeated and until someone beats them respect has to be given...

WHY?

because the teams that they play with they obvious recruit the same type of talent. ITs not like Hampton is getting more Blue CHip Players then anyone else in there conf. they just develop them better and there coach obviously is pretty good...so to be 9-0 up to this point speaks in volume...

AGAINST

since you havent played what most would consider a difficult schedule they are just waiting to drop you. Ask CC what its like...cause you see teams leap frog them in the polls and CC hasnt lost since like week 3 or something. CC has to finish 10-1 to get in its a shame that a team that is 9-2 wont make it....So until you play some comp. which will come in the form of the first round of the playoffs the respect will come...

AZGrizFan
November 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM

89-Maybe they miss a playoff year or two, but to get to the NC game 5 out of the last 10 years, they've STILL had to go through the A-10 or SoCon competition. That's the whole point. It doesn't matter what conference you play in. Win the playoff games and the respect takes care of itself.

blueballs
November 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM
The regionalization of the playoffs might have 11-0 Hampton playing 8-3 Appalachian State in the first round, which would be a terrible draw for the Pirates.

colgate13
November 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM
The regionalization of the playoffs might have 11-0 Hampton playing 8-3 Appalachian State in the first round, which would be a terrible draw for the Pirates.

They could also both be seeds for all we know at this point!

putter
November 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Kind of like sending SIU to Delaware in 2003? :eek:

89Hen
November 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM
89-Maybe they miss a playoff year or two, but to get to the NC game 5 out of the last 10 years, they've STILL had to go through the A-10 or SoCon competition.
No doubt Montana is one of the best programs ever in I-AA, but not to nitpick, more often than not the road for Montana goes through the Southland and Gateway thanks to regionalization.

1993 - A10 (loss)
1994 - Gateway, Southland, Independent YSU (loss)
1995 - OVC, Southern, Southland, Southern
1996 - Southland, Southern, Southland, Southern (loss)
1997 - Southland (loss)
1998 - Gateway (loss)
1999 - Gateway (loss)
2000 - OVC, A10, Southern, Southern (loss)
2001 - Southland, Southland, Gateway, Southern
2002 - Southland, Southland (loss)
2003 - Gateway (loss)
2004 - Southland, A10, Southland, A10 (loss)

By my count, in playoff rounds (leading up to finals) Montana is:
(11) Southland 9-2
(5) Gateway 2-3
(3) Southern 3-0
(3) A10 2-1
(2) OVC 2-0

blukeys
November 7th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I didn't say they didn't earn their respect, however just because the MEAC conference is weaker than the A10 doesn't mean that somebody isn't going to defend Hampton's ability. When was the last time half these people actually saw Hampton play? Thanks, I know all teams have both white and black players on them, but to say race doesn't exist is just ridiculous. I mentioned those two old men, because it shows that people do have a sensitivity to race. If you choose to take my comments out of context, that is fine. Just shows that you pick and choose, rather than taking it within the realm of what I am saying. Do, I think people make too big a deal out of race on this board? Yep, but I think people feed into it. Does Hampton deserve a lot of respect on the IAA playing field, not yet, I don't think they do until they do something to get excited about against a top ten team. I still love 'em and I'm still gonna defend them for being a good undefeated team.

I saw Hampton play in 2004 as well as many William and Mary posters. I was very impressed by Matthis as he was head and shoulders above anyone on the field. I was unimpressed by Hampton's D and overall ability on both sides of the ball. I did not see Hampton as near as good as a 1st division A-10 team. If they do some damage in the playoffs such as win a first round and quarter round playoff game I will change my opinion but until then I don't see Hampton as a top 4 seed.

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
but like I said, the term HBCU does not promote Hampton or its football program, or the rest of the conference, so really, what is the use?

So what is the use of labeling the Ivy League schools as such when sports is not an issue?

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 04:54 PM
There is no race or PWC/HBCU in college football, it is not a sports classification. It is not the same as conference, it is not sports loyalty.

So why does the SBN and American Sports Wire have black college polls?

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 04:57 PM
So what is the use of labeling the Ivy League schools as such when sports is not an issue?

Ivy League is a conference, similar to MEAC and SWAC, not HBCU

AZGrizFan
November 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
No doubt Montana is one of the best programs ever in I-AA, but not to nitpick, more often than not the road for Montana goes through the Southland and Gateway thanks to regionalization.

1993 - A10 (loss)
1994 - Gateway, Southland, Independent YSU (loss)
1995 - OVC, Southern, Southland, Southern
1996 - Southland, Southern, Southland, Southern (loss)
1997 - Southland (loss)
1998 - Gateway (loss)
1999 - Gateway (loss)
2000 - OVC, A10, Southern, Southern (loss)
2001 - Southland, Southland, Gateway, Southern
2002 - Southland, Southland (loss)
2003 - Gateway (loss)
2004 - Southland, A10, Southland, A10 (loss)

By my count, in playoff rounds (leading up to finals) Montana is:
(11) Southland 9-2
(5) Gateway 2-3
(3) Southern 3-0
(3) A10 2-1
(2) OVC 2-0

Facts, schmacts. The point being, in those years that they DIDN'T play teams from the Southern or A-10, the teams THEY played usually did. At least in the years they went deep. If those A-10 or Southern teams lost early, then they weren't as good anyway, so your argument doesn't hold.

It is amazing, however, the number of Southland conference teams we've played. And given our record, I'd prefer to NOT see a Gateway team until Chatty!!

All that aside, isn't that an impressive list?!!! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

R.A.
November 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
... Hampton's number one folks. And SCSU makes the playoffs w/ a 9-2 record.

blukeys
November 7th, 2005, 05:47 PM
... Hampton's number one folks. And SCSU makes the playoffs w/ a 9-2 record.

This would be great news for SoCon Teams as they would no doubt get one of the MEAC teams. Just like '03 two MEAC teams means an 0-2 record and whining in '06 from MEAC fans "why don't we get any respect?" :rolleyes:

NYSigma
November 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
yes, it means they are just that, barely better than those teams they are beating

Uhhh last time I checked Ap States margin of victory in their wins was 126 points, Hampton's is 178!

My bad that's only including wins and you guys only have 6??? Not really fair I guess Hampton has 9!!!!

R.A.
November 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
This would be great news for SoCon Teams as they would no doubt get one of the MEAC teams. Just like '03 two MEAC teams means an 0-2 record and whining in '06 from MEAC fans "why don't we get any respect?" :rolleyes:

...whining. We know what we need 2 do, but we also know what should be happening too. We just want 2 make sure we get a fair shake.

R.A.
November 7th, 2005, 06:13 PM
You think UNH is going to lose, Hampton will be No. 1 and SCSU will make the field of 16? I've seen weirder things but ...
...so weird. SCSU should finish 9-2 and everyone knows that the #1 ranking has been chaotic all season. So IF Hampton gets it, I don't see why the only undefeated team in the country can't hold it for a week or two until the playoffs start.

R.A.
November 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Yes, weird.
1. UNH to lose either of their last two games.
2. Hampton ranked No. 1. (never happened before)
3. SCSU making the playoffs this year.

-Well we'll just see.

Sam Adams
November 7th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I Think it would be great for Hampton to run the table all the way through to Chattanooga. I would really love it if Hampton proved that they were #1 on the football field. They have my respect just for being undefeated. I don't think they are the #1 football team in 1AA, I think UNH is the #1 team in 1AA. Personally, I hope UMass gets on a roll, gets a little lucky and wins a second Nat. Championship. That said, I wish Hampton the best of luck in November, I would really like to see a Cinderella type of story unfold, it would be a lot of fun. :)

R.A.
November 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I Think it would be great for Hampton to run the table all the way through to Chattanooga. I would really love it if Hampton proved that they were #1 on the football field. They have my respect just for being undefeated. I don't think they are the #1 football team in 1AA, I think UNH is the #1 team in 1AA. Personally, I hope UMass gets on a roll, gets a little lucky and wins a second Nat. Championship. That said, I wish Hampton the best of luck in November, I would really like to see a Cinderella type of story unfold, it would be a lot of fun. :)

-I think they might be able to get at least 2 victories this year in the playoffs Sam Adams. The Pirates are good. Also, I just want the world to understand that I'm not saying that Hampton should be ranked #1 right now, I'm saying that IF UNH goes down, Hampton then should become the #1 ranked team in the country.
-Sam, how do you feel about a possible 9-2 South Carolina State team?

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Uhhh last time I checked Ap States margin of victory in their wins was 126 points, Hampton's is 178!

My bad that's only including wins and you guys only have 6??? Not really fair I guess Hampton has 9!!!!

you want to compare wins, haha, i'll bite:

Hampton wins:
1. Jackson St(2-7): 20-7
2. Howard(4-5): 22-12
3. NCA&T(3-7): 31-14
4. Morgan St(2-8): 44-14
5. Delaware St(5-4): 26-8
6. G-W(4-5): 52-21
7. Norfolk St(3-6): 55-14
8. South Carolina St(7-2): 14-10
9. Bethune-Cookman(6-3): 24-10

Opponents combined record: 41-60 .405(including games yet to be played)
Average winning margin: 19.7

App State wins:
1. Eastern Kentucky(5-4): 24-16
2. Coastal Carolina(8-1): 30-3
3. Citadel(2-7): 45-13
4. Georgia Southern(7-3): 24-7
5. Wofford(5-4): 49-17
6. Chattanooga(6-4): 35-25

Opponents combined record: 52-30 .634(including games yet to be played
Average winning margin: 21

So let me see, not only has Appalachain won against better teams, but also has a larger winning margin in those games

you guys have played exactly 3 teams with a winning record, vs 8 on our end

please do some research before running your flap

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Because they want to further their audience penetration? It has nothing to do with NCAA I-AA college football.

With that logic, why bother referencing all of these other polls that exist?

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Same Old G: The Federal Government needs to drop the HBCU handle too. They don't specifically identify white universities and colleges. You know why?
Because there is no such thing. The sooner we eliminate all racial contentions and delineation in America the better off all us will be. These are American Universities and colleges.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....yada, yada, yada....we shall shall overcome and all of that good stuff.

They don't specify white universities because they are the majority. Plan and simple. And regardless what you may think the facts are what they are.

SAME OLD G
November 7th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Ivy League is a conference, similar to MEAC and SWAC, not HBCU

Uhhh....read the question again... So what is the use of labeling the Ivy League schools as such when sports is not an issue?