PDA

View Full Version : HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll (10-13-2008)

Syntax Error
October 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
TSPNSports.com & Cavil's Classic Cuts HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll
(10-13-2008)

The HBCU Major Division Football Top 10, with number of first-place votes,
record in parentheses, total points, previous ranking, and next opponent:

Name------------------Record--1PV-Points-PWR--Next Game-(10/16/08-10/18/08)
1. S. C. State---------(5-2)--(5)--95----1---()
2. Grambling State-----(5-2)--(2)--90----5---(vs-Alabama State)
3. Hampton-------------(4-1)--(1)--79----2---(vs-Norfolk State)
4. Tennessee State-----(5-1)--(2)--78----3---(vs-Austin Peay)
5. Southern------------(4-2)-------52----6---(vs-Florida A & M)
6. Prairie View A & M--(5-1)-------46----7---(at-Arkansas P. B.)
7. Florida A & M-------(4-2)-------39----8---(at-Southern)
8. Bethune-Cookman-----(4-2)-------24----4---()
9. Morgan State--------(3-3)-------13----NR--(at-Howard)
10. Savannah State------(3-4)-------12----9---(at-Mississippi Valley State)

Dropped Out: Texas Southern-(3-4)

Receiving Votes: Delaware State-(2-3)-8, Texas Southern-(3-4)-5,
Norfolk State-(2-4)-4, Jackson State-(2-4)-3,
Alabama A & M-(2-5)-1

PWR = Previous Week Ranking
1PV = 1st Place Votes

Major Division = Division I Championship Subdivision (FCS) / (Formerly NCAA Division I-AA)

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Just out of curiosity how many HBCU's play in FCS, and how many total HBCU's are there? Are there HBCu's that play at other levels?

Big Dawg
October 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Just out of curiosity how many HBCU's play in FCS, and how many total HBCU's are there? Are there HBCu's that play at other levels?

In FCS you have the MEAC, SWAC, Tennessee State, Savannah State, North Carolina Central, and Winston Salem State(Provisional MEAC member).

In Div. II you have the SIAC, CIAA, Langston, Central State, West Virginia State, and Benedict(or are they in the SIAC???)

Below that you have Lincoln, Concordia, Texas College, and Lane

I know I may have missed a couple...these are HBCU's that have football teams

UMass922
October 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Savannah State at #10? They do seem to be getting more competitive, but are they really better than some of the teams below them in the "receiving votes" category?

Syntax Error
October 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Savannah State at #10? They do seem to be getting more competitive, but are they really better than some of the teams below them in the "receiving votes" category?short answer, no.

gophoenix
October 13th, 2008, 06:37 AM
In FCS you have the MEAC, SWAC, Tennessee State, Savannah State, North Carolina Central, and Winston Salem State(Provisional MEAC member).

In Div. II you have the SIAC, CIAA, Langston, Central State, West Virginia State, and Benedict(or are they in the SIAC???)

Technically you have the CIAA - Chowan as they aren't an HBCU.

813Jag
October 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Edward Waters and Paul Quinn are NAIA.

HIU 93
October 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM

There are 103 HBCUs currently in operation. Ninety (90) of those are four year institutions. Of those four year institutions, there are twenty two (22) Division I football institutions. MEAC (10), SWAC (10), Independent (2). In Division II, there are twenty six football playing institutions. The CIAA has eleven, and the SIAC has thirteen. The other two are Lincoln University (Missouri) and Langston University in Oklahoma (that is where Ocho Cinco went to school- however he was kicked out before he ever played a game). There are two football playing schools in the NAIA, Edward Waters College in Jacksonville, FL and Central State University in Ohio (where Dave Chappelle's parents met).

andy7171
October 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
My high school played at Bowie State's field. They are D.II, in the CIAA, I believe.

I remember going to the "Jiffy Lube Classic" between Bowie State and California(PA) at old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I got a free shirt.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
There are 103 HBCUs currently in operation. Ninety (90) of those are four year institutions. Of those four year institutions, there are twenty two (22) Division I football institutions. MEAC (10), SWAC (10), Independent (2). In Division II, there are twenty six football playing institutions. The CIAA has eleven, and the SIAC has thirteen. The other two are Lincoln University (Missouri) and Langston University in Oklahoma (that is where Ocho Cinco went to school- however he was kicked out before he ever played a game). There are two football playing schools in the NAIA, Edward Waters College in Jacksonville, FL and Central State University in Ohio (where Dave Chappelle's parents met).

You forgot the Steers of Texas College (Tyler, TX) :D

HIU 93
October 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
You forgot the Steers of Texas College (Tyler, TX) :D

Where do they play? I wasn't aware they had a football program currently in operation. Thanks for the update.

dgreco
October 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM
Langston is actually NAIA and Central State is now DII.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Where do they play? I wasn't aware they had a football program currently in operation. Thanks for the update.

Earl Campbell Field. TSU actually played a road game...er, 'Classic' there this year. xthumbsupx

3rd Coast Tiger
October 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM

They restored the program about five years ago and will more than likely not be bringing it back for next season.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Earl Campbell Field. TSU actually played a road game...er, 'Classic' there this year. xthumbsupx

Still wanna play I see..... that's fine; two can play that game. xthumbsupx