PDA

View Full Version : McNeese State @ Sam Houston State - Game Thread

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM
McNeese State Cowboys @ Sam Houston State Bearkats
Saturday, October 18 · 2 p.m · Bowers Stadium (Huntsville, Texas)
SHSU Homecoming · SouthlandTV

Live Video: Southland NOW (for those outside of reach of Southland TV) on the Southland.org web site

Audio:
McN: http://www.gator995.com/common/gap_streamer.php
SHSU: http://www.gobearkats.com or http://www.ksam1017.com

Releases
McN: http://www.mcneesesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22000&KEY=&ATCLID=1525027&SPID=11448&SPSID=107039
SHSU: Not available as of post time

Team Web Site:
McN: http://www.mcneesesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22000&KEY=&SPID=11448&SPSID=93660
SHSU: http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&KEY=&SPID=11345&SPSID=92955

Team Fan Sites:
McN: http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/start
SHSU: http://www.katfans.com/

Game Day Weather Information: http://www.wunderground.com/sports/CFB/hometeam/Sam_Houston_State:Bearkats.html

blackfordpu
October 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Any cowboy fans making the trip to Huntsvegas?

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM

They got big plans -- including a stop at Mt. Zion, according to their board. McFans don't make a mistake, they eat well when they come to Huntsville... xnodx

Question is -- when do the RVs start arriving? xthumbsupx

McNeese75
October 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
They got big plans -- including a stop at Mt. Zion, according to their board. McFans don't make a mistake, they eat well when they come to Huntsville... xnodx

Question is -- when do the RVs start arriving? xthumbsupx

Probably Wed or Thurs xnodx

McNeese75
October 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Regardless of the game last night, I imagine there will be a couple thousand there Saturday

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2008, 05:32 AM
McN75 -- how many McAlums are in the greater Houston area? Would seem that'd be a nice hotbed of alum activity for the Pokes...

3rd Coast Tiger
October 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
TT,

Are you going to the game?

McNeese75
October 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
McN75 -- how many McAlums are in the greater Houston area? Would seem that'd be a nice hotbed of alum activity for the Pokes...

I really do not know how many are in Houston but I am sure there will be a decent contingent show up.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I may try to make the first half of this game to get back in time for our game with Jackson State.

I was almost a Cowboy.

McGeaux
October 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
We are bringing up a pretty good size group

Retro
October 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Since this is an easily driveable game, you should see the usual 2,000 or so go.. xthumbsupx

McNeese75
October 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I just realized the game is televised so that will cut into the crowd that will make the drive xsmhx

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Game Notes...

http://www.gobearkats.com/pdf4/146672.pdf?ATCLID=1602388&SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_OEM_ID=19900

3rd Coast Tiger
October 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
xlolx

Maybe he overlooked it on accident....

Hey TT, you going to the game?

MSU_77
October 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM

There were 1,000 of us at North Carolina. That should give you a clue. ;)

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Maybe he overlooked it on accident....

Hey TT, you going to the game?

On work trip in beautiful Arkansas -- had 10 pages of posts and only read the last page. Not going to the game.

Some of us are not afforded such an opportunity to go to all the games due to work commitments in a related industry. Worth noting, I've been to an SHSU game more recent than the last TSU win over a Div I foe. xwhistlex

3rd Coast Tiger
October 13th, 2008, 11:46 PM
On work trip in beautiful Arkansas -- had 10 pages of posts and only read the last page. Not going to the game.

Some of us are not afforded such an opportunity to go to all the games due to work commitments in a related industry. Worth noting, I've been to an SHSU game more recent than the last TSU win over a Div I foe. xwhistlex

Can't afford it huh? I understand. xlolx

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Can't afford it huh? I understand. xlolx

It's my line of work -- it'd be nice if you actually knew something about what I did instead of insinuate things about me that were false. Many of your accusations regarding my background show just how clueless you are about who I am and what it is that I do. You'd be surprised...

3rd Coast Tiger
October 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
It's my line of work -- it'd be nice if you actually knew something about what I did instead of insinuate things about me that were false. Many of your accusations regarding my background show just how clueless you are about who I am and what it is that I do. You'd be surprised...

A little sensitive aren't we? BUT.... like I said.... xlolx

Bearkat-Backer
October 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
What has the tailgating been like this year? This will be the first game I make it to this year thanks to IKE.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Chuck Burton declared us as the "Game of the Week"...click on the below link for more analysis...

Game of the Week: No. 12 McNeese State at Sam Houston State

McNeese State 62, Sam Houston State 59

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-the-joe-the-plumber-effect&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Bearkat Gameday: Coach's Corner
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_292022939.html

Bearkat Gameday: Getting to know Billy Skinner
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_292022809.html

Bearkat Gameday: No place like home
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_292023127.html

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Biggest note on pregame show...Lucas Ortiz is kicking off.

I didn't realize he was out due to a hamstring. He did not say Wilkins would not be doing FGs, but I'm glad Ortiz is healthy because now Wilkins can stick to what he's stronger at - FIELD GOALS!

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
FYI...

Another change -- T.J Jones is starting at tight end.

X-Factor
October 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Chuck Burton declared us as the "Game of the Week"...click on the below link for more analysis...

Game of the Week: No. 12 McNeese State at Sam Houston State

McNeese State 62, Sam Houston State 59

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-the-joe-the-plumber-effect&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

nice basketball score

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
McNeese kicks off to SHSU. SHSU will start at the 24

1-10 SH24 Four yard pass to T.J Ones
2-6 SH28 Bad handoff, fumble. Aston gets it at line of scrimmage
3-6 SH28 Bomar under pressure and throws it to no one
4-6 SH28 Raymer punts to Whitehead and he returns it right back into SHSU territory...

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
What kind of punt was that?

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Kats allowed a big third-and-11 play...

Here Kats go, stopping two consecutive plays behind the line. Pokes again going for a 3rd...this time from 16 yards back and Forroux picks up a few years after pressure and FG time.

Kick no good.

0-0, 10:13 in 1st Q

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Good effort by the defense to keep them to a FG try. The offense has to pick it up. Gotta move the ball.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Aston gets the handoff and finds some running room...8 yards on the ground. That's what it's going to take...Bomar gets squeezed and taken down behind the line on second down. Pass incomplete on third down. So much for an offensive display, eh?

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Aston needs to get 25 touches today.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Forroux runs for 11 yards. Can't find Conner on first down. Fourroux and Pendland both get runs in to move the ball up...just continue to making plays down the field and into the SHSU "red area" as TW calls it...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Another big play. Whitehead again. Huge third down conversion made. Just taking care of the Kats when it counts...3 of 4 on third down conversions...

McNeese State at Sam Houston State
Unofficial Scoring Summary

First Quarter
McN: Todd Pendland 3 yard run (Blake Bercegeay kick), 4:26 - McN 7-0 SHSU

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Man, we really can not tackle.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Offense is not going anywhere today for Kats. Very surprised how hard this has been...another punt for SHSU. On the bright side, Whitehead did not touch it and the ball is just around the 21, 22 line..

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Too early to call this one over now? Kats look very uninspired. Why did we not go for it on fourth and six inches?

Cowboys 14
Kats 0

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Pendland avoided the tackle near the line of scrimmage and runs 68 yards...

First Quarter
McN: Todd Pendland 68 yard run (Blake Bercegeay kick), 2:04 - McN 14-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Too early to call this one over now? Kats look very uninspired. Why did we not go for it on fourth and six inches?

Figure we were trying to turn the field position in our favor and not hand over the ball to Pokes in such a good place...

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Figure we were trying to turn the field position in our favor and not hand over the ball to Pokes in such a good place...

Didn't turn out too well though. Once again, tackling is HORRIBLE!

blackfordpu
TAKE BREWER OFF OF KICK RETURNS DA**IT!!!!

MaximumBobcat
Should be 17-0, you guys gotta score soon. What is up with Bomar?

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Should be 17-0, you guys gotta score soon. What is up with Bomar?

Not just Bomar, it is the entire team. Receivers not getting open, O-Line not giving much time and defense can not tackle. Also, as you just saw, the play calling sucks. Who calls a screen pass on third and long?

MaximumBobcat
October 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Wow, your O-line is sucking or something...Bomar is getting roughed up.

You guys need a BIG special teams play or INT to get back in this.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM
McNeese has nine first downs to the Kats zero...SHSU is just not making it happen...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Well, we stopped them on third down...funny SLC TV announcers can't properly say the name of the Pokes kicker...pretty embarrassing!

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Kats finally force a punt.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Kats get a first down! Catron Houston gets the grab for about eight, nine yards...time to start something now!

11-1 first down count in favor of Pokes...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Another drive stalls...Bomar's rhythm is off according to SLC TV guys. Derrick Raymer is getting plenty of work. Unfortunately, that means Steven Whitehead is too...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Kats INT to the Pokes called back after a roughing the passer -- and what do you know? A Bearkat first down! That was rough watching a big D-Lineman return one back to the house...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Kats cross midfield -- Bomar to Madkins, FIRST DOWN! Let's keep it going and try to put some points on the board...

BobcatTXST04
October 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Two in a row for you guys, things are starting to look up.

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
You know, McNeese really does need to do something about all the penalties. In this game they've already taken themselves out of a fourth and short and had a TD interception called back by a penalty that had nothing to do with the play. It's a serious problem. They get more penalties than the other team every time.

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Play calling is horrible today. A QB draw on second and 20? And a screen pass on third and 17? Forget the freaking screens, go deep to Madkins, he has to have a good 5 to 6 inches on most of the DBs.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter
SHSU: Taylor Wilkins 40 yard field goal, 2:33 - McN 14-3 SHSU

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Play calling is horrible today. A QB draw on second and 20? And a screen pass on third and 17? Forget the freaking screens, go deep to Madkins, he has to have a good 5 to 6 inches on most of the DBs.

If I were a Sam Houston fan I'd be happy because it could be a lot worse for Sam Houston State right now. As a McNeese fan, I'm pretty frustrated that they haven't gotten more points while they have had the opportunities. The spread should be bigger than 14-3 at this point.

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
The way I'd look at it if I was Sam Houston is that they haven't played well yet they're still in the game. From the McNeese standpoint there have been some wasted opportunities to really jump on the BearKats and get a big lead.

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
If I were a Sam Houston fan I'd be happy because it could be a lot worse for Sam Houston State right now. As a McNeese fan, I'm pretty frustrated that they haven't gotten more points while they have had the opportunities. The spread should be bigger than 14-3 at this point.

Be happy, are you kidding me? I am pissed because we are giving you the game with horrible play. This is not the same team was say lost week. Well, the same defense and kick coverage but not the same offense.

You want to say you are upset that the cowboys don't have more points. Well, I can say the same for the Kats.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
SHSU gets another stop -- defense has come to play for the most part today in the second quarter.

SHSU is going to have to do something now and get at least a FG before the half.

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
SHSU gets another stop -- defense has come to play for the most part today in the second quarter.

SHSU is going to have to do something now and get at least a FG before the half.

Or not.....

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Be happy, are you kidding me? I am pissed because we are giving you the game with horrible play. This is not the same team was say lost week. Well, the same defense and kick coverage but not the same offense.

You want to say you are upset that the cowboys don't have more points. Well, I can say the same for the Kats.

What I'm talking about is that, from your standpoint, they're playing badly yet they're still in striking distance. They had a brain dead play by Bomar that led to a defensive TD negated by a penalty, for Pete's sake. They're very fortunate it wasn't 21-0.

From the McNeese standpoint, they started the game playing very well but made a few key mistakes to keep themselves from taking full advantage of it. There are ebbs and flows in games and it's not good to fail to take advantage of opportunities like that.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
End of first half...can't see either side of fans being happy outside of Pokes as it relates to defense.

Homecoming festivities time...

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
End of first half...can't see either side of fans being happy outside of Pokes as it relates to defense.

Homecoming festivities time...

I'm happy that the defense looks so much better than it did last week but I am very upset that a TD was taken off the board because of a stupid penalty. Like I said, to me, it's important to take advantage of opportunities when a team has them. And, like I also said, this thing with McNeese committing a bunch of penalties to cause problems for itself is getting really tiresome.

I think it's likely that the SDSU game would've never gotten to overtime without that tendency on the part of McNeese and I think it's very possible they'd have beaten Texas State last week as it was an offensive game and McNeese stopped several of its own drives with penalties.

It's just got to stop.

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Just saw the halftime stats. I think you can see what I'm talking about from the McNeese standpoint. 214 (I think) total yards to 77. 14 first downs to three. Plus a defensive TD opportunity handed to them on a silver platter. But they're only up 11 points. I always worry when the team I'm pulling for doesn't take full advantage when things are going its way.

Hopefully it'll all work out. But it's very distressing.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
That was a long half time, seemed like it went 25 minutes...

And SHSU welcomes the second half with kickoff problems. McN at the 40.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
McNeese can't make a FG...really keeping Kats in this one. That two missed?

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Long, long touchdown pass to Chris Lucas who makes a few things happen downfield...TOUCHDOWN! TOUCHDOWN, TOUCHDOWN!

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter
SHSU: Rhett Bomar 80 yard pass to Chris Lucas (Taylor Wilkins kick), 8:12 - McN 14-10 SHSU

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 04:03 PM
See, that's what I'm talking about. McNeese dominated the early part of the game completely and didn't get a big lead. Now Sam Houston makes one big play and it's very close. Plus Sam Houston has the momentum.

From a McNeese standpoint the Cowboys should've had something like a 27-0 or 27-3 lead instead of 14-3.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
See, that's what I'm talking about. McNeese dominated the early part of the game completely and didn't get a big lead. Now Sam Houston makes one big play and it's very close.

With UCA leading the Bobcats by a two TD margin -- if the Bears close out that game, I really see the winner of this game the "leader" in the SLC.

Pokes should've been up by atleast 10-14 points on us, even with that TD on the last play...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter
SHSU: Rhett Bomar 80 yard pass to Chris Lucas (Taylor Wilkins kick), 8:12 - McN 14-10 SHSU
McN: Jeremy Haynes 42 yard interception return (Blake Bercegeay kick), 3:10 - McN 21-10 SHSU

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM
What? No penalty?

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thankfully, Sam Houston State acted like McNeese has been acting this season and 1) took itself out of a third and 2 situation with a penalty then 2) turned the ball over for a pick 6.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM
SLC TV is saying there was a foot out of bounds on the INT return for a touchdown...oh well, what you going to do?

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Ah! A bit of luck. The guy TRIED to blow the TD interception return by stepping out of bounds but the officials missed it!

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Well, our season is ticking down...darn shame too. Really thought we'd go to the playoffs in one of Bomar's two seasons, if not both.

Todd Pendland just scored his third TD...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter
McN: Jeremy Haynes 42 yard interception return (Blake Bercegeay kick), 3:10 - McN 21-10 SHSU

Fourth Quarter
McN: Todd Pendland 12 yard run (Blake Bercegeay kick), 7:28 - McN 28-10 SHSU

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Game over, good game cowboys.

Kats, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
If only Texas State's receivers had dropped passes like Sam Houston State's have been doing.

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Also Bomar just isn't as accurate as George was. I don't know if it's just that he hasn't happened to play well in his two games against McNeese but both times he had accuracy problems then, when he was accurate, his receivers dropped the ball too much.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 05:07 PM
FINAL - 28-17, McNeese

Count SHSU as ELIMINATED from the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
FINAL - 28-17, McNeese

Count SHSU as ELIMINATED from the playoffs.

Not completely impossible and made a little less so by UCA being inelligible. But it's unlikely. I'm not sure but I don't think any Southland auto bid team has had two conference losses. McNeese did go one year (1991) when it had one loss and two ties.

McNeese also went into the last game of the 2005 season with a chance to get the automatic bid if they could've beaten Nicholls State and had your BearKats beat Texas State. It didn't happen but it came reasonably close. Especially the Sam Houston beating Texas State part.

So I don't think they can look at it like it's over. But one thing's for sure: they can't lose again.

crossfire07
October 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ah! A bit of luck. The guy TRIED to blow the TD interception return by stepping out of bounds but the officials missed it!

the refs made it even tho. McNeese had a safety but the refs didnt give it up. the kat took a LIVE ball into the endzone and got tackled. the "official" explanation as to why it wasnt a safety is because he didnt have possesion of the ball at the time he went into the endzone.

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Not completely impossible and made a little less so by UCA being inelligible. But it's unlikely. I'm not sure but I don't think any Southland auto bid team has had two conference losses. McNeese did go one year (1991) when it had one loss and two ties.

McNeese also went into the last game of the 2005 season with a chance to get the automatic bid if they could've beaten Nicholls State and had your BearKats beat Texas State. It didn't happen but it came reasonably close. Especially the Sam Houston beating Texas State part.

So I don't think they can look at it like it's over. But one thing's for sure: they can't lose again.

No, it is over. Whitten juts proved again that he can not win the big game and has yet to defeat a FCS opponent with a winning record. With the way the SLC offenses are playing this season and how poorly our defense playing (mostly because of coaching), we will lose another game. Especially if our offense plays as bad as they did today.

patssle
October 18th, 2008, 09:49 PM
McNeese played pretty clean and without errors today. Good game guys.

Kats are done for the season. I hope our coaching staff is done too.

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Kats are done for the season. I hope our coaching staff is done too.

Kats can still get the AQ. If UCA wins out, SHSU wins out -- we could see a three-way tie at 5-2 in SLC play (TXST, McN and SHSU). Could be interesting...coaching staff only gets axe if they don't make the playoffs. Got to see some glimmer of light...got to try to be positive...trying very hard...

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Post-game stories from the local fishwrap...

Unhappy Homecoming
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_293004940.html?keyword=topstory

Cowboy defense rebounds after poor showing, shuts down SHSU
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_293004753.html?keyword=secondarystory