PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH IN CONTROL

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 04:12 PM
The Mountain Hawks have taken control of their destiny. Today's game with Georgetown ended up as expected with the reserves playing part of the third and all of the fourth quarter. Lehigh was very sluggish in the first half. Threatt was 'too wound' missing wide open receivers, but the ground game couldn't be stopped--344 yards rushing for Lehigh?!?!
Coach Lembo was tearing new orafices for his offense in the second quarter just before the half. I imagine the paint was blistered in the locker room at halftime--resulting in 24 points being put on the board in the third quarter.
Over 13,000 in attendance on a gorgeous day in the Lehigh Valley with Ol' South Mountain dressed in yellow & orange finery.
Next week on to Fordham. Takin' care of business one week at a time.

DFW HOYA
November 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Of course, it helped that the Hoyas contributed two fumbles in the third quarter, each inside the 20, whcih accounted for 14 of the Engineers' 24 pounts.

The Service Electric TV announcers seemed baffled by the fact that Georgetown can play Lafayette and Colgate close but can't get within 35 to Lehigh after five straight years. Some of it is bad matchups, and some of it is that Georgetown's offense puts its defense in a considerable bind. Of Lehigh's first 11 possessions, nine were at the Lehigh 40 or better.

I'm sure Lehigh fans would chalk it all up to its defense, but this Georgetown team doesn't score on anyone, Before the Fordham game here are the point totals in the last six games:

Holy Cross: 6
Brown: 3
Stony Brook: 10
Lafayette: 7
Duquesne: 10
Cornell: 7

It would also help if the schools were on the same field budget-wise. Lehigh outspends Georgetown 3 to 1 on financial aid and you can see the difference with the depth on each team.

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I agree that the Hoya's did not match up well, and depth is always a problem when stepping up in divisions. That is similar to what we see when we play a full scholarship program. The starters can usually match up well, but in the war of attrition that occurs in football, the ability to substitute and not lose quality can be the difference. Now that G'town has the new stadium, with it's academic reputation, location and a little more money, they can be in position to become a power.