PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Games left, team By team

ElonFirefighter
October 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Here are the games left. What should each teams record be and which should they win or loose

Elon5-1 (3-0)
@Citadel
@UTC
Wofford
WCU
@App
@Liberty

Wofford3-1 (1-0)
UTC
WCU
@Elon
@App
Citadel
@Samford
Furman

App3-2 (1-0)
@Samford
@GSU
Furman
Wofford
@UTC
Elon
@WCU

Furman4-2 (1-1)
WCU
Citadel
@App
@SAMFORD
GSU
@Wofford

Citadel3-2 (1-1)
Elon
@Furman
@Samford
GSU
@Wofford
UTC
@Florida

Samford3-2 (1-1)
App
Citadel
Furman
@GSU
Wofford
@UTC

GSU3-3 (1-2)
App
@WCU
@Citadel
Samford
@Furman

WCU2-4 (0-2)
@Furman
@Wofford
GSU
UTC
@Elon
App

UTC1-5 (0-2)
@Wofford
Elon
@WCU
APP
@Citadel
Samford

OL FU
October 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM
My preseason prediction which is posted somewhere in the lounge under the USAGS get together was 7-5 for FU. I have missed one game so far which was UD. I predicted a loss and we won. Preseason I counted Elon as a loss. So I will go with 8-4 with losses to ASU and Wofford the rest of the way.

I will look at the others later.

ASUG8
October 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I think I'm still Ok with 9-3 from the USAGS meet. It won't be easy, but still likely.

Rob Iola
October 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Here are the games left. What should each teams record be and which should they win or loose

Elon5-1 (3-0) 10-2 (7-1) Play-off at-large
Citadel W
@UTC W
Wofford W
WCU W
App L
@Liberty W (knocking Liberty out of the playoffs)

Wofford3-1 (1-0) 8-3 (6-2) Playoff at-large
UTC W
WCU W
@Elon L
@App L
@Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

App3-2 (1-0) 10-2 (8-0) Play-offs AQ
@Samford W
@GSU W
Furman W
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Furman4-2 (1-1) 8-4 (5-3) no play-offs (next time don't schedule VA Tech)
WCU W
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford L

Citadel3-2 (1-1) 6-6 (4-4) no play-offs
Elon L
@Furman L
@Samford W
GSU W
@Wofford L
@UTC W
@Florida L

Here are my thoughts - you might want to check the current team records (ASU has 2 losses, missing Furman v. Wofford, etc.)...

Key games:
1. Wofford v. Furman - winner's in the play-offs, loser stays home
2. Wofford v. Elon - If Elon wins they're pretty much in, Wofford can lose but then has to beat Furman.
3. Elon v. Liberty - Liberty needs to win to make playoffs, Elon may already be in at that point, but if they've lost to both ASU and Wofford they'll need to win...

Also:
1. Samford can play spoiler to ASU, Wofford, and possibly Furman.
2. GSU won't run the table and make the playoffs. They could play spoiler to ASU and possibly Furman.
3. ASU should get the AQ, but could easily pick up 2 more losses and stay home...

T-Dogg
October 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
You have Wofford's schedule a little off! We play The Citadel at home and finish with FU at home! I almost choked when I saw your 4 game away schedule, it is bad enough as is!

That's better, we need home games!

ElonPride
October 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
3. Elon v. Liberty - Liberty needs to win to make playoffs, Elon may already be in at that point, but if they've lost to both Furman and Wofford they'll need to win...

Um, Elon beat Furman last weekend....xsmiley_wix

Rob Iola
October 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Um, Elon beat Furman last weekend....xsmiley_wix
Sorry - brain fart - meant ASU (not Furman) and Wofford, which would give Elon 3 losses and leave them needing a win against Liberty to reach the playoffs...

OL FU
October 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM
You have Wofford's schedule a little off! We play The Citadel at home and finish with FU at home! I almost choked when I saw your 4 game away schedule, it is bad enough as is!

Isn't Furman playing at Wofford a Furman home gamexconfusedx xsmiley_wix

T-Dog
October 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
App3-1 (1-0)
@Samford
@GSU
Furman
Wofford
@UTC
Elon
@WCU

Can anyone honestly see App losing two of those games? We got the bottom four teams in the conference on the road and the top three teams at home (El Cit is in between at the current moment IMO). I know it's possible, but the conference schedule alone was my reason for picking App to win.

ElonPride
October 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Can anyone honestly see App losing two of those games? We got the bottom four teams in the conference on the road and the top three teams at home (El Cit is in between at the current moment IMO). I know it's possible, but the conference schedule alone was my reason for picking App to win.

Sure I can.....Elon is going to smote App's ruin upon the mountain side!! xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
October 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Sure I can.....Elon is going to smote App's ruin upon the mountain side!! xsmiley_wix

ElonPride:
I don't think there'll be any smotin' going on in Boone, except that smotin' done by the Mountaineers upon the Phoenix thingies.

CharlestonAppFan
October 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM

xeyebrowx um........xchinscratchx what did you say? xscanx

OL FU
October 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Can anyone honestly see App losing two of those games?

I know it's possible

You answered your own questionxnodx

elon77
October 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Maybe 3, Woff, GSU, Elon.

appfan2008
October 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM

yes i honestly can... i see four games we COULD lose and 50/50 would be pretty good in those four games... if i was betting man i would go with 3-1 down the stretch and that would leave us at 9-3

ElonFirefighter
October 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Corrections are made.
I tried to make predictionson this but found that more then half of mine were 50/50 shots. It will be an intresting next few weeks

T-Dogg
October 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM

We do not think so! The Terrier Nation may be small in number but we are big in fight..............xnodx

Look forward to having the purple over and hope that game will mean something!xsmiley_wix

PhoenixPhan06
October 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Elon5-1 (3-0) (10-2) (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs

@Citadel W
@UTC W
Wofford W
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Wofford3-1 (1-0) (8-3) (6-2) Playoffs

UTC W
WCU W
@Elon L
@App W
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

App3-2 (1-0) (9-3) (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs

@Samford W
@GSU W
Furman W
Wofford L
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Furman4-2 (1-1) (8-4) (5-3) Win at Wofford sneaks em in playoffs

WCU W
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

Citadel3-2 (1-1) (6-6) (4-4)

Elon L
@Furman L
@Samford W
GSU W
@Wofford L
UTC W
@Florida L

Samford3-2 (1-1) (4-7) (2-6)

App L
Citadel L
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC W

GSU3-3 (1-2) (6-5) (4-4)

App L
@WCU W
@Citadel L
Samford W
@Furman W

WCU2-4 (0-2) (3-9) (1-7)

@Furman L
@Wofford L
GSU L
UTC W
@Elon L
App L

UTC1-5 (0-2) (1-11) (0-8)

@Wofford L
Elon L
@WCU L
APP L
@Citadel L
Samford L

phoenix3
October 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Key games:
1. Wofford v. Furman - winner's in the play-offs, loser stays home
2. Wofford v. Elon - If Elon wins they're pretty much in, Wofford can lose but then has to beat Furman.
3. Elon v. Liberty - Liberty needs to win to make playoffs, Elon may already be in at that point, but if they've lost to both Furman and Wofford they'll need to win.

xconfusedx

PhoenixPhan06
October 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
xconfusedx

He corrected the "loss to Furman" on a previous post

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM

I don't think it's too much of a stretch for you guys to lose two games. You guys are the favorites to win it as of right now IMO but I can see you guys losing two conference games. The game at GSU is going to be very tough - possibly the toughest conference game you will have all year (not because we are the best SoCon opponent but when all things are considered). GSU's offense has pretty much worked out all of the cobwebs just as it had done about the time we played you guys last year.

Then of course you have to play Elon, Wofford, and Furman at home. I say you have about a 50-50 shot at winning all three of those games.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM

We start our home dominance of Furman this year!:D

SU DOG
October 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
One interesting thing that I would like to point out is that Samford, IMO, wil not lose 4 straight home games. I don't know who we will upset, but after App State we have The Citadel, Furman, and Wofford. Even if you exempt App State, I really believe at least one(if not 2) of those next three will take our young team too lightly and fall. If these Dogs continue to improve, they may very well be an unexpected spoiler. For the umpteenth time, I will warn you that Samford has talent that is at the level of several SoCon Teams.

Rob Iola
October 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
One interesting thing that I would like to point out is that Samford, IMO, wil not lose 4 straight home games. I don't know who we will upset, but after App State we have The Citadel, Furman, and Wofford. Even if you exempt App State, I really believe at least one(if not 2) of those next three will take our young team too lightly and fall. If these Dogs continue to improve, they may very well be an unexpected spoiler. For the umpteenth time, I will warn you that Samford has talent that is at the level of several SoCon Teams.
You have size and a solid running attack, and you played Elon tougher than Furman did. If you play keep-away against ASU the way JMU did in the playoffs last year you could be the big upset this weekend...

And quite possibly you'll turn out to be more than just a spoiler this season with a very advantageous home schedule...

elon77
October 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM

The Citadel and Furmanxeyebrowx

RazorEdge19
October 10th, 2008, 05:52 PM

If the SoCon was top heavy, as it used to be, then this situation would be possible. But this conference has been killer week-in and week-out for almost a decade now. I don't expect any team to take you lightly, especially now that you beat WCU. I don't doubt Samford's talent, I do doubt they'll be able to pull it out when placed against teams who know how to win. (App, Wofford, Furman, etc)

furman94
October 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
ditto... I could be wrong though!

CID1990
October 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I love how El Cid loses to the best team in the SoCon and now suddenly we're losing to everyone except Chatty and Samford. Take away three stupid mistakes and we lose the ASU game by 7. Let's not forget that at this same time last year, GSU had just lost to Chatty at home.

I hope every team and coach we have left to play thinks just like everyone on this board.

Edge316007
October 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Just curious...what 3 mistakes? The messed up snap is one, what are the other two?

And I do believe The Citadel will have a strong showing against Elon. I still like Elon to win in a heart-breaker for you guys, though.

elon77
October 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=CID1990;1144756]I love how El Cid loses to the best team in the SoCon and now suddenly we're losing to everyone except Chatty and Samford. Take away three stupid mistakes and we lose the ASU game by 7. Let's not forget that at this same time last year, GSU had just lost to Chatty at home.

I hope every team and coach we have left to play thinks just like everyone on this board.[/QU

I'm worried as heck about you guys.xbowx

ElonFirefighter
October 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Elon6-1 (4-0)
@UTC
Wofford
WCU
@App
@Liberty

Wofford4-1 (2-0)
WCU
@Elon
@App
Citadel
@Samford
Furman

App4-2 (2-0)
@GSU
Furman
Wofford
@UTC
Elon
@WCU

Furman5-2 (2-1)
Citadel
@App
@SAMFORD
GSU
@Wofford

Citadel3-3 (1-2)
@Furman
@Samford
GSU
@Wofford
UTC
@Florida

Samford3-3 (1-2)
Citadel
Furman
@GSU
Wofford
@UTC

GSU3-3 (1-2)
App
@WCU
@Citadel
Samford
@Furman

WCU2-5 (0-3)
@Wofford
GSU
UTC
@Elon
App

UTC1-6 (0-3)
Elon
@WCU
APP
@Citadel
Samford

PhoenixPhan06
October 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=elonFirefighter;1143925]Here are the games left. What should each teams record be and which should they win or loose

Elon6-1 (4-0); 10-2 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
@UTC W
Wofford W
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Wofford4-1 (2-0) 8-3 (6-2) Playoffs
WCU W
@Elon L
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

App4-2 (2-0) 9-3 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
@GSU L
Furman W
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Furman5-2 (2-1) 8-4 (5-3) Chances for Playoffs still alive
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford L

Citadel3-3 (1-2) 5-7 (3-5)
@Furman L
@Samford L
GSU W
@Wofford L
UTC W
@Florida L

Samford3-3 (1-2) 5-6 (3-5)
Citadel W
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC W

GSU3-3 (1-2) 6-5 (4-4)
App W
@WCU W
@Citadel L
Samford W
@Furman L

WCU2-5 (0-3) 3-9 (1-7)
@Wofford L
GSU L
UTC W
@Elon L
App L

UTC1-6 (0-3) 1-11 (0-8)
Elon L
@WCU L
APP L
@Citadel L
Samford L

PhoenixPhan06
October 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Elon6-1 (4-0); 10-2 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
@UTC W
Wofford W
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Wofford4-1 (2-0); 8-3 (6-2) Playoffs
WCU W
@Elon L
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

App4-2 (2-0); 9-3 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
@GSU L
Furman W
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Furman5-2 (2-1); 8-4 (5-3) Outside shot at Playoffs
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford L

Citadel3-3 (1-2); 6-6 (4-4)
@Furman L
@Samford W
GSU W
@Wofford L
UTC W
@Florida L

Samford3-3 (1-2); 4-7 (2-6)
Citadel L
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC W

GSU3-3 (1-2); 6-5 (4-4)
App W
@WCU W
@Citadel L
Samford W
@Furman L

WCU2-5 (0-3); 3-9 (1-7)
@Wofford L
GSU L
UTC W
@Elon L
App L

UTC1-6 (0-3); 1-11 (0-8)
Elon L
@WCU L
APP L
@Citadel L
Samford L

lizrdgizrd
October 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Elon6-1 (4-0); 11-1 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
@UTC W
Wofford W
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Wofford4-1 (2-0); 8-3 (6-2) Playoffs
WCU W
@Elon L
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

App4-2 (2-0); 9-3 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
@GSU L
Furman W
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Furman5-2 (2-1); 8-4 (5-3) Outside shot at Playoffs
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford L

Citadel3-3 (1-2); 6-6 (4-4)
@Furman L
@Samford W
GSU W
@Wofford L
UTC W
@Florida L

Samford3-3 (1-2); 4-7 (2-6)
Citadel L
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC W

GSU3-3 (1-2); 6-5 (4-4)
App W
@WCU W
@Citadel L
Samford W
@Furman L

WCU2-5 (0-3); 3-9 (1-7)
@Wofford L
GSU L
UTC W
@Elon L
App L

UTC1-6 (0-3); 1-11 (0-8)
Elon L
@WCU L
APP L
@Citadel L
Samford L

Elon would be 10-2 if they lost to App. xpeacex

SU DOG
October 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Don't bet the farm that Samford will lose the next 4 straight - with 3 of those being at home.xnonox

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in the top three.
Wofford- hasn't played much anybody, not the best pass D
Elon- inconsistent (blows Furman out one week and edges by the Citadel who got blown out by ASU the next)
App- can they play 60 minutes?

AsuBucETSU34
October 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Elon5-1 (3-0) 10-2 (7-1) make playoffs
@Citadel W
@UTC W
Wofford W
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Wofford3-1 (1-0) 8-3 ( 6-2) make playoffs
UTC W
WCU W
@Elon L
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

App3-2 (1-0) 10-2 (8-0) socon champs getted seeded number 2
@Samford W
@GSU W
Furman W
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Furman4-2 (1-1) 8-4 (5-3) posblie playoff bid.. depends on the country
WCU W
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford L

Citadel3-2 (1-1) 5-7 (3-5)
Elon L
@Furman L
@Samford W
GSU L
@Wofford L
UTC W
@Florida W lol they kill tebow jk L

Samford3-2 (1-1) 4-7 (2-6)
App L
Citadel L
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC W

GSU3-3 (1-2) 6-5 (4-4)
App L
@WCU W
@Citadel W
Samford W
@Furman L

WCU2-4 (0-2) 3-9 (1-7)
@Furman L
@Wofford L
GSU L
UTC W
@Elon L
App L

UTC1-5 (0-2) 1-11 (0-8)
@Wofford L
Elon L
@WCU L
APP L
@Citadel L
Samford L

thats how it is goin to end 4 playoff berths... as the commite takes notice of the socon... that it is the best confrence in fcs...

onemoretime
October 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I know we are young, but don't count us out yet. It took a last minute field goal from the Elon to beat us and a ridiculous overtime loss to Wofford. We lost those two games by 3 points. We are in the 23 to 25 range in the polls and with a win against App we will jump right back up into playoff contention. A win against App is not that far fetched, we always play tough at Paulson and we have had two weeks to prepair with a bye last week. We will have to go to the Citadel and Furman. We are due to beat Furman and the game against the Citadel will be a toss up. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'm am saying that it is not extremely unlikely either.

whoanellie
October 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I know we are young, but don't count us out yet. It took a last minute field goal from the Elon to beat us and a ridiculous overtime loss to Wofford. We lost those two games by 3 points. We are in the 23 to 25 range in the polls and with a win against App we will jump right back up into playoff contention. A win against App is not that far fetched, we always play tough at Paulson and we have had two weeks to prepair with a bye last week. We will have to go to the Citadel and Furman. We are due to beat Furman and the game against the Citadel will be a toss up. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'm am saying that it is not extremely unlikely either.

very glad we don't have to replay any of our games,
heck they are all closely contended... got to start a new thread "4 for no Moore" GSU,Furman,Wofford,Elon all can nail down that coffin shut. xthumbsupx

ElonFirefighter
October 13th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I think Half-A-Laption would be a better thread

GATA
October 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
very glad we don't have to replay any of our games,
heck they are all closely contended... got to start a new thread "4 for no Moore" GSU,Furman,Wofford,Elon all can nail down that coffin shut. xthumbsupx

You're on to something there. Somebody really needs to derail the freight train that is the App State football program right now. They're making a mockery of the FCS playoffs every year.

Nobody challenged them last year in the playoffs outside of a very good James Madison team in the first round.

South Carolina Duke
October 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
You're on to something there. Somebody really needs to derail the freight train that is the App State football program right now. They're making a mockery of the FCS playoffs every year.

Nobody challenged them last year in the playoffs outside of a very good James Madison team in the first round.

The mockery begins with App States regular season opponents. Some one needs to step and give them a game with some consistancy and pride.

As far as JMU giving them a game last year in the playoffs, thanks. Remember, we dominated the offensive stats.

It all came down to a coaching mistake going for it on 4th and 1 on your 32. And a fumble on the 9 when a FG would have won the game instead of trying for a TD

RazorEdge19
October 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM
The mockery begins with App States regular season opponents. Some one needs to step and give them a game with some consistancy and pride.

As far as JMU giving them a game last year in the playoffs, thanks. Remember, we dominated the offensive stats.

It all came down to a coaching mistake going for it on 4th and 1 on your 32. And a fumble on the 9 when a FG would have won the game instead of trying for a TD

Nothing personal JMU fan, but Wofford was 1-0 versus ASU last year...

South Carolina Duke
October 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Nothing personal JMU fan, but Wofford was 1-0 versus ASU last year...

You are right. And Wofford got the short end last year having to travel. But you handled it great!

I may be painting with too wide of a brush. I just want to get the "others" to step up.

After all we are talking about the "SOCON" right.

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM

James Madison, don't be so quick. Your Dukes would not have hoisted a national championship in 2004 but for a Furman fumble late in the game. As they say 'dems the breaks.

App is a tough team. They are the absolute toughest team to beat on the road in the country. Heck, last season they lost two conference games and it took to the very last play for them to put away Furman.

South Carolina Duke
October 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
James Madison, don't be so quick. Your Dukes would not have hoisted a national championship in 2004 but for a Furman fumble late in the game. As they say 'dems the breaks.

App is a tough team. They are the absolute toughest team to beat on the road in the country. Heck, last season they lost two conference games and it took to the very last play for them to put away Furman.

No one said they were not tough. Just three weeks ago we beat them in a tough game.

Good luck against The Citadel. I'll be there watching

AsuBucETSU34
October 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
well the truth is JMU vs APP game the last two years have produced the two best games i have seen well i should say 6 quaters lol but jmu and app i have a feeling will be seeing each other agian in chatt... thats my thoughts but who knows the socon is like the SEC lol anyone can beat anyone on any day... CAA is the same way... thats why you see are teams competeing for National championships... good luck to JMU hope to see you guys agian to make another classic

APPStrongNC
October 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM
All I can say is, Im so glad I got tickets for the ELON game in Boone. Shaping up to be a great game if records holds until then....

appfan2008
October 14th, 2008, 07:29 AM
All I can say is, Im so glad I got tickets for the ELON game in Boone. Shaping up to be a great game if records holds until then....

you should have gotten season tix... then you could go to all of them! :D

APPStrongNC
October 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
you should have gotten season tix... then you could go to all of them! :D

Yeah I know man. Would have loved to, but weekend work calls and the radio is near by. Furman and Elon left for me this year.....

PhoenixPhan06
October 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Elon would be 10-2 if they lost to App. xpeacex

Thanks, its right now

PhoenixPhan06
October 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
You are right. And Wofford got the short end last year having to travel. But you handled it great!

I may be painting with too wide of a brush. I just want to get the "others" to step up.

After all we are talking about the "SOCON" right.

I think its safe to say that the playing field in the SoCon is beginning to level a bit this season. While Elon, ASU and Wofford are the top three right now, several teams including GSU, Furman, The Citadel, and possibly Samford are all capable of staging upsets of the all mighty ASU.

Its been a great run for the Mountaineers and they have brought a lot of prestige and respect back to the SoCon, but their time is running short and they shouldn't expect a cake walk anymore in conference play.

89Hen
October 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'll take a stab...

App 10-2 (8-0) PLAYOFFS
@Samford W
@GSU W
Furman W
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Wofford 9-2 (7-1) PLAYOFFS
UTC W
WCU W
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

Elon 9-3 (6-2) PLAYOFFS
@Citadel W
@UTC W
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 8-4 (5-3) WOOFED
WCU W
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford L

GSU 6-5 (4-4)
App L
@WCU W
@Citadel W
Samford W
@Furman L

Citadel 5-7 (3-5)
Elon L
@Furman L
@Samford W
GSU L
@Wofford L
UTC W
@Florida L

UTC 3-9 (2-6)
@Wofford L
Elon L
@WCU W
APP L
@Citadel L
Samford W

Samford 3-8 (1-7)
App L
Citadel L
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC L

WCU 2-10 (0-8)
@Furman L
@Wofford L
GSU L
UTC L
@Elon L
App L

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Still sticking with 8-4 for the Paladins. It certainly seems a little less of a comfortable pick than before the WCU game.

Losses at ASU and WC.

lizrdgizrd
October 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I think its safe to say that the playing field in the SoCon is beginning to level a bit this season. While Elon, ASU and Wofford are the top three right now, several teams including GSU, Furman, The Citadel, and possibly Samford are all capable of staging upsets of the all mighty ASU.

Its been a great run for the Mountaineers and they have brought a lot of prestige and respect back to the SoCon, but their time is running short and they shouldn't expect a cake walk anymore in conference play.

I don't know that we've ever expected a cake walk in the SoCon. xsmhx

lizrdgizrd
October 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Here's an interesting scenario:

App 8-4 (6-2)
@GSU L
Furman L
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
WCU W
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
@UTC W
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
Citadel W
@App W
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

GSU 8-3 (6-2)
App W
@WCU W
@Citadel W
Samford W
@Furman W

We'd have a 5 way tie for the SoCon Champion. Elon - losses to WC & ASU, Furman - losses to EU & GSU, Wofford - losses to FU & ASU, App - losses to GSU & FU, GaSo - losses to EU & WC.

T-Dog
October 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I don't know that we've ever expected a cake walk in the SoCon. xsmhx

The closest to a "cake walk" we've had in the SoCon was the 2006 season when we ran the table, and that included a 2OT win @ GaSo and a 14-7 nailbiter at home vs Wofford in which we scored on the 1st two possessions then they held us scoreless for the last 55 minutes of the game. Even then, it wasn't a cake walk. We were a step ahead of everyone else, but we got lucky with Armanti as everyone else was in a state of flux/rebuilding.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM
What is scary are how young these teams are. I can't speak to everyone's squad, but I know Elon, Samford, Furman, and GSU start very few upperclassmen and get contributions from a good number of redshirt and even true freshman.

This conference is only going to get tougher.

lizrdgizrd
October 14th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Here's what I think is more likely:

App 9-3 (7-1) CoChamps - playoffs - 1st round home game
@GSU L
Furman W
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Elon 10-2 (7-1) CoChamps - playoffs - possible seed
@UTC W
Wofford W
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Wofford 8-3 (6-2) playoffs
WCU W
@Elon L
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

Furman 8-4 (5-3) woofed
Citadel W
@App L
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford L

GSU 6-5 (4-4)
App W
@WCU W
@Citadel L
Samford W
@Furman L

Citadel 6-6 (4-4)
@Furman L
@Samford W
GSU W
@Wofford L
UTC W
@Florida L

Samford 4-7 (2-6)
Citadel L
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC W

WCU 3-9 (1-7)
@Wofford L
GSU L
UTC W
@Elon L
App L

UTC 1-11 (0-8)
Elon L
@WCU L
APP L
@Citadel L
Samford L

lizrdgizrd
October 14th, 2008, 09:50 AM
The closest to a "cake walk" we've had in the SoCon was the 2006 season when we ran the table, and that included a 2OT win @ GaSo and a 14-7 nailbiter at home vs Wofford in which we scored on the 1st two possessions then they held us scoreless for the last 55 minutes of the game. Even then, it wasn't a cake walk. We were a step ahead of everyone else, but we got lucky with Armanti as everyone else was in a state of flux/rebuilding.
And I think most folks were a bit surprised that we managed to not lose one that season. I think at the start of each season App fans count on at least a loss to one of WC/FU/GSU.

T-Dog
October 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM

App 8-4 (6-2)
@GSU L
Furman L
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
WCU W
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
@UTC W
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
Citadel W
@App W
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

GSU 8-3 (6-2)
App W
@WCU W
@Citadel W
Samford W
@Furman W

We'd have a 5 way tie for the SoCon Champion. Elon - losses to WC & ASU, Furman - losses to EU & GSU, Wofford - losses to FU & ASU, App - losses to GSU & FU, GaSo - losses to EU & WC.

Good God man! That would be the freakiest thing in the history of FCS football. I mean, honestly, can you keep all those teams out of the playoffs?

All those teams would be co-champs per SoCon rules, but how would you do autobid? Head to head would all be 2-2 (everyone beating Samford, UTC, WCU and El Cit). After that, what would you do?

If it were me, I'd go with who lost at home. Everyone would have one loss at home minus GaSo, who (already) have 2 losses. so they're out. then do head-to-head again. App would be 2-1, Furman 2-1, Elon 1-2 and Wofford 1-2. So Elon and Wofford are out.

So by that scenario, Furman would get the autobid. xeyebrowx

But GaSo will be virtually eliminated this Saturday so it doesn't matter. xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan06
October 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM

App 8-4 (6-2)
@GSU L
Furman L
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
WCU W
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
@UTC W
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
Citadel W
@App W
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

GSU 8-3 (6-2)
App W
@WCU W
@Citadel W
Samford W
@Furman W

My head hurts just thinking about that scenario! xbangx xbangx xbangx

The scary thing is that anything can happen in the SoCon and we could revisit this post in a month or so. The stars would have to be alligned just right because I don't see GSU winning out or Furman beating both ASU and Wofford. Thats why we play on the games on Saturdays though! xthumbsupx

GSUhooligan
October 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Three was glee but now it's 4 for Moore.

That is the gayest tagline ever. xthumbsupx

GSU will beat App. this week but slip up @ either Furman or Cit, but not both, ending the season 7-4.

Rekdiver
October 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think App pays back GSU this weekend.....I think Haloween night and wearing black will be too much for Wofford althought they have had our number....Elon and Furman are the ones i worry about. We don't havethe luxury of playing incomplete games like we have so far this year anymore.

ElonFirefighter
October 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Elon7-1 (5-0)
Wofford
WCU
@App
@Liberty

Wofford5-1 (3-0)
@Elon
@App
Citadel
@Samford
Furman

App5-2 (3-0)
@GSU
Furman
Wofford
@UTC
Elon
@WCU

Furman6-2 (3-1)
@App
@SAMFORD
GSU
@Wofford

Samford3-3 (1-2)
Citadel
Furman
@GSU
Wofford
@UTC

GSU3-4 (1-3)
App
@WCU
@Citadel
Samford
@Furman

Citadel3-4 (1-3)
@Samford
GSU
@Wofford
UTC
@Florida

WCU2-6 (0-4)
GSU
UTC
@Elon
App

UTC1-7 (0-4)
@WCU
APP
@Citadel
Samford

will update again after the GSU/App game

lizrdgizrd
October 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM

App 8-4 (6-2)
@GSU W
Furman L
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU W

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
WCU W
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
@UTC W
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
Citadel W
@App W
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

GSU 7-4 (5-3)
App L
@WCU W
@Citadel W
Samford W
@Furman W

Well, the dream/nightmare scenario can't come to pass. But I've thought of another one!

App 8-4 (6-2)
Furman L
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU L

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
@App W
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

4-way tie for first. App - losses to FU & WCU (shudder), Wofford - losses to ASU & FU, Elon - losses to WC & ASU, Furman - losses to EU and GSU. Who wins the tie-breakers and gets the auto bid?

elon77
October 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM
How about this for homerism. Elon finishes 11-1. Then there is no need to worry about ties. How about that for a solution.

ElonFirefighter
October 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Well, the dream/nightmare scenario can't come to pass. But I've thought of another one!

App 8-4 (6-2)
Furman L
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU L

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
@App W
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

4-way tie for first. App - losses to FU & WCU (shudder), Wofford - losses to ASU & FU, Elon - losses to WC & ASU, Furman - losses to EU and GSU. Who wins the tie-breakers and gets the auto bid?

Elon should win i think. The first tie breaker would be who has beat more teams that are tied. Wofford would loose thattie breaker and the restof the teams are tied. Since the remaining 3 have onle 1 loss vs each other it goes to overall record. Elon and furman are tied, apps now droped from consiteration. Now furman and Elon are tied and Elon wins that head to head

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Elon should win i think. The first tie breaker would be who has beat more teams that are tied. Wofford would loose thattie breaker and the restof the teams are tied. Since the remaining 3 have onle 1 loss vs each other it goes to overall record. Elon and furman are tied, apps now droped from consiteration. Now furman and Elon are tied and Elon wins that head to head

what you just said doesnt make sense... as you said you looked at how each team faired against the other teams that are tied...

asu = 2-1
elon = 1-2
furman = 2-1
wofford = 1-2

drop elon wofford

in this scenario furman beats asu so they get the atomatic...

but we all know app will finish 10-2 get a seed and homefield throughout then go to chatty and get revenge on jmu!:) wishfull thinking!

ElonFirefighter
October 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
opps you are correct i was looking at his last paragraph and saw WC and thought Western, That my fault. Let me try this again.
The first tie breaker of head to head would leave Elon and Woff out. With Furman and App left and Furman beating app furman would make a major comeback and win the conference.

As I said in another thread a three way tie Elon App wofford, with Elon over wofford, wofford over app and app over Elon, would leave Elon the winner. The other way around Elon over app, app over wofford and wofford over elon would give Elon the win too only because they would have 1 more game and win overall compared to wofford.

lizrdgizrd
October 27th, 2008, 12:25 PM

App 8-4 (6-2)
Furman L
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon W
@WCU L

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
@Elon W
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
Wofford L
WCU W
@App L
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
@App W
@SAMFORD W
GSU L
@Wofford W

So as one door closes another opens:

App 8-4 (6-2)
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon L
@WCU L

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
WCU L
@App W
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford W

Four-way tie for 1st place. App - losses to EU & WCU (shudder), WoCo - losses to ASU and FU, Elon - losses to WC & WCU, Furple - losses to EU & ASU.

Rekdiver
October 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Well we survived all those upset bids without playing a full game yet.

Wufford is next.

elon77
October 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
How about this for homerism. Elon finishes 11-1. Then there is no need to worry about ties. How about that for a solution.

Well dang, so much for that stupid homer. What a dumb ... he is, oh wait that was me. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx .

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I figured I would expand on who has what games left...

Wofford 6-1 (4-0)
@App St
The Citadel
@Samford
Furman

ASU 6-2 (4-0)
Wofford
@UTC
Elon
@WCU

Elon 7-2 (5-1)
WCU
@ASU
OOC (@Liberty)

Furman 6-3 (3-2)
@Samford
GSU
@Wofford

Samford 4-3 (2-2)
Furman
@GSU
Wofford
@UTC

GSU 4-4 (2-3)
@The Citadel
Samford
@Furman

The Citadel 3-5 (1-4)
GSU
@Wofford
UTC
OOC (@Florida)

UTC 1-7 (0-4)
@WCU
ASU
@The Citadel
Samford

WCU 2-7 (0-5)
UTC
@Elon
ASU

PhoenixPhan06
October 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I figured I would expand on who has what games left...

Wofford 6-1 (4-0); 9-2 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
@App St L
The Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman W

ASU 6-2 (4-0); 9-3 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon L
@WCU W

Elon 7-2 (5-1); 10-2 (7-1) SoCon Co-Champs, AB by virtue of coin flip
WCU W
@ASU W
OOC (@Liberty) W

Furman 6-3 (3-2); 8-4 (5-3) Playoffs!? Still an outside chance at a postseason
@Samford W
GSU W
@Wofford L

Samford 4-3 (2-2); 5-6 (3-5)
Furman L
@GSU L
Wofford L
@UTC W

GSU 4-4 (2-3); 6-5 (4-4)
@The Citadel W
Samford W
@Furman L

The Citadel 3-5 (1-4); 4-8 (2-6)
GSU L
@Wofford L
UTC W
OOC (@Florida) L

UTC 1-7 (0-4); 1-11 (0-8)
@WCU L
ASU L
@The Citadel L
Samford L

WCU 2-7 (0-5); 3-9 (1-7)
UTC W
@Elon L
ASU L

appfan2008
October 28th, 2008, 02:57 PM
you can keep hoping you beat us in boone in a couple of weeks... it aint gonna happen

ElonPride
October 28th, 2008, 03:20 PM
you can keep hoping you beat us in boone in a couple of weeks... it aint gonna happen

Elon's going to smote that ruin upon the mountain side! xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
October 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Wofford fans:
Based on what I saw in Furman's run D, don't expect to run all over them. They played a great contain-D, especially on the option. First team all year that kept Armanti in the pocket.

I would expect that the Wofford/Furman game may be a close one.

james_lawfirm
October 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Elon's going to smote that ruin upon the mountain side! xsmiley_wix

I've heard about this "smotin" stuff. Don't want none.

While it will be a good game, I don't believe it is quite Elon's year. I think AE may run wild.

gophoenix
October 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I've heard about this "smotin" stuff. Don't want none.

While it will be a good game, I don't believe it is quite Elon's year. I think AE may run wild.

Maybe, maybe not. Should be a good game though. Going to hold any judgment until I see what App does against Wofford and how we rebound after an off week against Western.

lizrdgizrd
November 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
So as one door closes another opens:

App 8-4 (6-2)
Wofford W
@UTC W
Elon L
@WCU L

Wofford 8-3 (6-2)
@App L
Citadel W
@Samford W
Furman L

Elon 9-3 (6-2)
WCU L
@App W
@Liberty W

Furman 9-3 (6-2)
@SAMFORD W
GSU W
@Wofford W

Four-way tie for 1st place. App - losses to EU & WCU (shudder), WoCo - losses to ASU and FU, Elon - losses to WC & WCU, Furple - losses to EU & ASU.
This one could still come to pass!

lizrdgizrd
November 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Ok, now it looks like there can only be a 3-way tie for the SoCon Champs.

App 9-3 (7-1)
Elon L
@WCU W

Wofford 9-2 (7-1)
@Samford W
Furman W

Elon 10-2 (7-1)
@App W
@Liberty W