PDA

View Full Version : UAlbany Finally Comes Home!

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 08:34 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=728199&category=SPORTS

Tomorrow's game against Central Conn. is UAlbany's first home game since November of last year.

Albany is the last Division I team (FCS and FBS) to play a home game this year. And it just so happens to fall on the weekend that students have a long break. xbawlingx

Good news is next year's schedule has more home games then away, the first time that has happened since 1998.xthumbsupx

dgreco
October 10th, 2008, 08:45 AM
long weekends suck for home games. Hopefully the fans still turnout and make it fun for hte guys to be back home.

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=728199&category=SPORTS

Tomorrow's game against Central Conn. is UAlbany's first home game since November of last year.

Albany is the last Division I team (FCS and FBS) to play a home game this year. And it just so happens to fall on the weekend that students have a long break. xbawlingx

Good news is next year's schedule has more home games then away, the first time that has happened since 1998.xthumbsupx

Do you know who the 4 OOC teams are next year?

th0m
October 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Damn. We've had 4 home games already... Was this just due to scheduling, or also in compliance with upgrades to facilities (a la WKU) or something?

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Damn. We've had 4 home games already... Was this just due to scheduling, or also in compliance with upgrades to facilities (a la WKU) or something?

basically just scheduling. Albany prescribes to the theory of playing the top level competition anytime and anywhere. Normally the top level of competition isn't going to play Albany at home because the facilities suck.

*There was supposed to be a home game in week 2 against Fordham as the 12th game, but there was a scheduling conflict with Fordham/URI/Albany. Fordham-URI had a written contract and Albany-Fordham didn't, so URI got the game.

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Do you know who the 4 OOC teams are next year?

I've heard a bunch of things, but the only one confirmed is @ Yale.

I've heard Maine and Fordham too but just as rumours. Don't know who the fourth is.

bluehenbillk
October 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Congrats on the home game, that's gotta suck to play on the road every week, makes building a fanbase next to impossible.

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I've heard a bunch of things, but the only one confirmed is @ Yale.

I've heard Maine and Fordham too but just as rumours. Don't know who the fourth is.

I thought you went to Yale in 2010.

FYI - this is what I think CCSU has for 2009:
at William and Mary (confirmed)
vs Hofstra (confirmed)
at Bryant (likely a return game from this year)
vs TBD (likely looking for a home game)

Pitz
October 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Congrats on the home game, that's gotta suck to play on the road every week, makes building a fanbase next to impossible.

And then to have the first home game land on fall break? Brutal.

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM

vs Hofstra (confirmed)

Oh yeah, duh. I'm getting confused with years.

So all I've heard for 2009 is Fordham and Maine, but not confirmed and who knows where. Fordham should be a home game. We were there last year. And we were at Maine the last time we played a couple years ago, so they should come down. Not like they're giving up a big crowd to come to Albany either.

I'd like to see an "easier" schedule next year. Two top-ranked CAA teams on the road and then two winnable games at home. This way we can come out of OOC at a realstic 2-2 with the two conditional access wins. We'll have a senior-laden team next year. If there was an at-large year for the NEC, next year would be it.

EmeryZach
October 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM
So my fellow Bergen County buddy, will you be attending this fabulous first home game?

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
So my fellow Bergen County buddy, will you be attending this fabulous first home game?

xlolx xlolx No.

Prior committment. I'm in the middle of a horrendous home remodel and need this weekend to get some stuff done.xbawlingx

dgreco
October 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
no Bryant in 09? I figure they wait until they are an NEC member or the AQ is in place... IDK which is first.

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
no Bryant in 09? I figure they wait until they are an NEC member or the AQ is in place... IDK which is first.

I would imagine they wouldn't play Bryant until the AQ is in place. From a fan's perspective (no offense) but it doesn't make sense for Albany to play Bryant now. The goal at Albany is to make the playoffs and playing Bryant doesn't really help that when trying to get an at-large.

But you never know. They've scheduled Bryant home-and-home in BBall. Maybe they've got something in place.

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I would imagine they wouldn't play Bryant until the AQ is in place. From a fan's perspective (no offense) but it doesn't make sense for Albany to play Bryant now. The goal at Albany is to make the playoffs and playing Bryant doesn't really help that when trying to get an at-large.

But you never know. They've scheduled Bryant home-and-home in BBall. Maybe they've got something in place.

The NEC has "encouraged" teams to schedule Bryant, but its not a requirement until they officially join the league in Fall 2012.

However, if Bryant is on the UA schedule next year the game would most likely be played at Albany.

The Danes NEC schedule will have just 3 NEC teams at home next year (DU, SHU, and RMU), so Bryant will eventually be the 4th game in their NEC rotation to even it out. Albany will play 4 NEC road games next year (CCSU, MU, WAG, and SFPA).

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM

vs Hofstra (confirmed)

I knew I wasn't going crazy.
Looks like we'll be playing Yale next year as well:

From New Haven Register:
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/10/05/sports/5_yale_notebook.txt

Albany will replace Holy Cross on the schedule next season with games against Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate also planned in the coming years.

The 2010 game was originally to replace Army and would be at Yale.
So that likely means Yale will be at Albany next year.

UAalumn72 also said on BPF that a Northeastern fan (Husky?) said that we are starting a home-and-home with NU too.

Who knows when that would start though.

danefan
October 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
The NEC has "encouraged" teams to schedule Bryant, but its not a requirement until they officially join the league in Fall 2012.

However, if Bryant is on the UA schedule next year the game would most likely be played at Albany.

The Danes NEC schedule will have just 3 NEC teams at home next year (DU, SHU, and RMU), so Bryant will eventually be the 4th game in their NEC rotation to even it out. Albany will play 4 NEC road games next year (CCSU, MU, WAG, and SFPA).

So that also means that at least 3 of the 4 OOC games will be at home. Is next year a 12 game year also? Or was that just this year?

If its 12 games, then there could be 5 OOC right, and at least 4 would be at home.

This could be an interesting schedule with some big names coming to Albany. Hopefully.

Dane96
October 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I will find out tomorrow.

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm pretty sure next year (2009) is a 11-game year for FCS teams.

Albany's NEC schedule for 2009 is just the opposite of this year:

Home (3) - DU, SHU, and RMU
Away (4) - CCSU, MU, WAG, and SFPA

So, if you play Bryant as a non-conference game it would most likely be slotted as an Albany home game to set up the NEC rotation for 2012.

Therefore, I'd assume 2 of your 3 remaining non-conference games (or 3 of your 4, if you don't schedule Bryant) would be played at home.

dgreco
October 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I am not sure why Bryant isn't on the SHU schedule, but I can see them not being on the UAlbany schedule. I think until the AQ is in place the NEC teams should schedule 3-4 AQ teams.

Griz0383
October 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM
home sweet home! Ualbany is a great team and the fans I have met were the same quality! good luck and kick some ass!! Look foward to having you in Missoula in the future!!

YaleFootballFan
October 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I knew I wasn't going crazy.
Looks like we'll be playing Yale next year as well:

From New Haven Register:
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/10/05/sports/5_yale_notebook.txt

The 2010 game was originally to replace Army and would be at Yale.
So that likely means Yale will be at Albany next year.

UAalumn72 also said on BPF that a Northeastern fan (Husky?) said that we are starting a home-and-home with NU too.

Who knows when that would start though.

According to Yale's media guide, Albany is NOT on Yale's schedule for 2009. Yale is set to play at Georgetown, at Lehigh and Lafayette at home.

Albany will play at Yale in 2010.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM

INCORRECT! xnonox

Nicholls State has NOT played a single game at home and will not until Oct. 18. xreadx

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2008, 08:12 AM
And DOUBLE INCORRECT!

And if you wanted to get really technical, Texas Southern does not play a home game until Nov. 8 at their designated home stadium, though they have already played a local HS stadium and one in Reliant Stadium (a few miles a way), in games that officially by the NCAA gets marked down as a 'neutral-site game'.

I passed along the word to the Albany SID... :)