PDA

View Full Version : Delaware's Injury-Laden Year

Jaxhen
November 5th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Has any team ever suffered as many injuries/losses as Delaware has this year? When you consider how many injuries we've had and the number of freshmen we've had to play, it's not surprising we are struggling.

Lost for Season:

WR - Justin Long (team infraction) pre-season (starter)
WR - David Boler (knee) pre-season (starter)
DE - Lou Samba (shoulder) pre-season (starter)
DE - Jim Casertano (knee) pre-season
DB - John Russ (shoulder) pre-season
RB - Chris Haslon (shoulder) pre-season
OL - Scott Conley (team infraction) pre-season (starter)
DB - Roger Brown (sports hernia) following Holy Cross game (starter)
DB - Zach Thomas (shoulder) vs West Chester (started some games)
OL - Mark Ciavirella (ankle) vs Towson (started some games)
K - John Nauss (ankle) vs Towson
OL - Corey Nicholson (ankle) before JMU game
WR - Joey Bleymaier (spleen) vs JMU (starter)
WR - Brian Ingram (quad contusion) before Maine (might return) (starter)
DB - Rafig Gunthorpe (shoulder) before Maine
DB - Jahiri Gunthorpe (shoulder) vs Maine (started some games)
P - Mike Weber (starter)
DB - Bryan Durango (pre-season, I-A transfer and possible starter)

Injured and Missed Multiple Games:

OL - Robert Bergman (starter)
WR - Armand Cauthen (started some games)
RB - Danny Jones (talented freshman runner)
DL - Jeremy Kametz (starter, after opening game has been out most of the games or played sparingly due to being hampered by injury)
TE - Justin LaForgia (starter)
TE - Mike Mailey (part-time starter)
DE - Stephen Purkey (starter)
TE - Steve Selk (starter in two tight end set)

Over half the starters have been out for the majority of the season. 18 first or second string players have been lost for the season, and another 8 have not played for a portion of the season due to injuries. These are only the ones I know about. There may have been others that I'm not aware of. A 4-4 record is not too bad considering what has happened this year, even though we Hen faithful are having a hard time accepting it. It's also not that surprising we have been very inconsistent on offense when you consider we lost our four senior wide receivers (two of which were among Delaware's all-time leaders), top three tight ends for a portion of the season, and most of the OL for a portion of the season.

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Everyone has injuries... but UD has been buried by them this year.

Hopefully things will even out next season.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2005, 10:35 AM
No sense in :bawling: or making up excuses, every team has to deal with injuries and football players must be able to play with a certain amount of injuries. It looks like the hens need a kick in the rear end to get some of these guys out of the infirmary and back on the football field.

Jaxhen
November 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM
No sense in :bawling: or making up excuses, every team has to deal with injuries and football players must be able to play with a certain amount of injuries. It looks like the hens need a kick in the rear end to get some of these guys out of the infirmary and back on the football field.

Wow, making up excuses? What is being made up? Excuses in the context you are using the term are usually unjustifiable reasons for explaining events. I don't think this is an illegitimate explanation or cause for Delaware's season. Maybe you're right. Bleymaier was just released from the hospital after having his spleen removed. He should be out on the field today. Can't understand it.

GrizRick
November 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM

One of the stupidest posts I've read on any board.

catbob
November 5th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I've always found it funny that people blast other teams when they say they are plagued with injuries. Injuries are a big part of the game, ESPECIALLY at the IAA level where the depth isn't as good.