PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky predictions 10-11

JALMOND
October 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM
So much discussion on the power rankings, let's see if we can generate some of the same on this (well, maybe not). Does the picture get clearer after this week, or is it still hopeless? With Montana, Weber State and upstart Portland State all playing on the road, does the home team hold serve again this weekend? How about this, snow is in the forecast for Bozeman and Greeley this weekend (and it is supposed to be on the cold side in Cheney), will that factor in to the equation? Here are my predictions for this weekend, of which I currently stand 32-6 for the year. Everyone but Sac State plays this weekend. Have at them!!!

ISU @ UNC---With the conference play as it has been, the one thing for sure is that the loser here is pretty much done for the year. Combined, the Bears and Bengals are 0-9, but there has been some competitive football played by both teams. Hard to say either team has been embarrassed in any game so far. Still, have to go with the home team on this...UNC 31, ISU 17.

UM @ EWU---Hard to believe, but after last week, the loser of this game might also be done as far as having any thoughts on the playoffs. The Griz play well in Cheney but the Eagles have hopes that this is/was their year. Both defenses were tested last week. Given the history of both respective quarterbacks, it is fair to assume this week may still be the case...UM 46, EWU 44.

PSU @ NAU---Last week had the Vikings walking on air with the home win against EWU. The Jacks held Sac State's run to negative yards last week, which might not mean much this week as the Vikings do not run much. Last week was a shootout in Portland, but the Jacks still had Watson then. This week, a shootout...NAU 48, PSU 38.

WSU @ MSU---A regular cat fight. Last week, the BOBcats got the lone road win, while the WILDcats got a big win at home. The Bobcats are looking for a win to show they belong and the Wildcats would like nothing more than to build on last week's win against Montana. Possibly the weather could factor in to the outcome of the game. Then again, it shouldn't bother the defenses on both sides...WSU 21, MSU 17.

Could be in for a big wreck again...

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I still think the Griz could make the playoffs if they lost this one. 2 losses wouldn't keep them out of the playoffs, but I've been wrong before :D It's hard to root for the Bob-kitties, but I think I'll have to this week.

I Bleed Purple
October 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Not going to argue the picks. All of these games are pretty juicy in their own right.

mvemjsunpx
October 9th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Montana (0-1, 4-1) @ Eastern Washington (1-1, 2-3) - Everything seems to be in the Eagles' favor this week: they're at home, they hate Montana, and desperately need to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Oh, what's that? EWU is giving up how many passing yards per game? 421!? OK, never mind then… UMT 45, EWU 38

Portland St. (1-1, 2-3) @ Northern Arizona (2-0, 4-1) - Nobody runs on the Lumberjacks. That's OK for Portland State, since they don't run on anybody else. However, the Viking defense still sucks & this game is in the Skydome… NAU 38, PORTST 27

Weber St. (2-0, 4-2) @ Montana St. (1-0, 3-2) - Was Weber's statement win over Montana a sign of things to come, or was it just born out of 10 years of frustration? It wasn't a fluke, and the turnover-prone Bobcats (2.8 per game) will realize that… WEBER 34, MTST 21

Idaho St. (0-2, 0-5) @ Northern Colorado (0-1, 0-4) - The Bengals are 4-0 against the Bears since the latter moved up in 2003. This includes a blowout in Greeley for Idaho State's only conference win in 2006. That being said, this Bear team is much better than that one while this Bengal team is probably worse… NCOL 40, IDST 28

Grizzaholic
October 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I just have one question, what does the T stand for after UM? I have seen a couple posters use it.

biobengal
October 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I just have one question, what does the T stand for after UM? I have seen a couple posters use it.

I'm just pointing out the obvious.... but, MT is the postal abbreviation for Montana.

Also.... giving UNC 2 TD's in their win. Not going to happen.

uofmman1122
October 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I just have one question, what does the T stand for after UM? I have seen a couple posters use it.I guess they are saying University of MonTana (using the state abbreviation "MT" for montana)

UMT is also the University's official abbreviation. Ala http://www.umt.edu (http://www.umt.edu) to distinguish between other U of M's. lol

My predictions:

WSU - MSU: I've been kind of wary of the cats lately, as they seem to be better than forcasted, but it's just a gut feeling. If they can pull out the win, my suspicions will be confirmed, but I don't see it happening.
WSU - 38
MSU - 32

PSU - NAU: Both teams kind of confusing to me. I think PSU's last game was a statement that they can't duplicate. Not against this defense, but at the same time, although NAU blew away Sac it's tough to gauge. Gotta love the home team, though.
NAU - 41
PSU - 38

ISU - UNC: Another tough break for UNC last week. This week they finally make it up.
UNC - 27
ISU - 13

UM - EWU: Yargh, I thought this game would be a lot bigger, and I guess you could say it is big, but for different reasons. EWU wins, Montana can pretty much say goodbye to the BSC title. UM wins, EWU can pretty much say goodbye to the playoffs. I honestly don't know what to think about either team after last weekend's spectacle. UM's defense seems a little better than EWU's; EWU's offense seems a little bit better than UM's. Homer vote trumps. xlolx
UM - 40
EWU - 35

wapiti
October 9th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Looks like your are only confident with two of your picks this week.
UNC over ISU and NAU over PSU
and I agree with those two picks

The other two games are hard to pick.
I am going to go with the home teams on them.
EWU wins by 4 in a shoot out
MSU wins by 2 in a defensive battle and the game of week for the Big Sky.

ISU @ UNC---With the conference play as it has been, the one thing for sure is that the loser here is pretty much done for the year. Combined, the Bears and Bengals are 0-9, but there has been some competitive football played by both teams. Hard to say either team has been embarrassed in any game so far. Still, have to go with the home team on this...UNC 31, ISU 17.

UM @ EWU---Hard to believe, but after last week, the loser of this game might also be done as far as having any thoughts on the playoffs. The Griz play well in Cheney but the Eagles have hopes that this is/was their year. Both defenses were tested last week. Given the history of both respective quarterbacks, it is fair to assume this week may still be the case...UM 46, EWU 44.

PSU @ NAU---Last week had the Vikings walking on air with the home win against EWU. The Jacks held Sac State's run to negative yards last week, which might not mean much this week as the Vikings do not run much. Last week was a shootout in Portland, but the Jacks still had Watson then. This week, a shootout...NAU 48, PSU 38.

WSU @ MSU---A regular cat fight. Last week, the BOBcats got the lone road win, while the WILDcats got a big win at home. The Bobcats are looking for a win to show they belong and the Wildcats would like nothing more than to build on last week's win against Montana. Possibly the weather could factor in to the outcome of the game. Then again, it shouldn't bother the defenses on both sides...WSU 21, MSU 17.

Walkon79
October 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I would like to favor the home team in all of these match-ups. The only road breakthrough may be WSU, because of how banged up the Cats are on the defensive front. Hopefully Kempt and the receiving corp will have a break-out game, and DC will get his 100 yards. If that happens the Cats can keep it close and keep the crowd into the game deep into the second half.

Bobcats over the Wildcats with a 45+ yard field goal by freshman sensation, Jason Cunningham as time expires.

Bobcats - 24
Wildcats - 21

Oh, the other games.

EWU - 44
UM - 41

UM kicks the go-ahead FG in the first overtime. EWU comes back with a quick score to win a classic.

NAU - 44
PSU - 14

NAU exposes the Viking D in this one.

UNC - 21
ISU - 14

Both teams struggle to move the ball efficiently. UNC gets the W only because they're home.

FCS Go!
October 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Montana (0-1, 4-1) @ Eastern Washington (1-1, 2-3) - A real puzzler. I think the Griz have the better D (barely) but EWU gets the adv. on O. Add homefield & that its basically do or die for the Eagles.. EWU 33 UMT 30.

Portland St. (1-1, 2-3) @ Northern Arizona (2-0, 4-1) - PSU is a team of Freshman and Sophomores coming off a big upset win. Their defense?... NAU 45 PSU 27.

Weber St. (2-0, 4-2) @ Montana St. (1-0, 3-2) - Another puzzler for me. Kitty defense should be way better than what Weber saw last week. MSU seems like a solid team but their best win is over a South Dakota team that is winless in Div I.… WSU 31 MSU 27.

Idaho St. (0-2, 0-5) @ Northern Colorado (0-1, 0-4) - Too many near misses for N. Colorado this year to give them the win but the Bengals have looked terrible most of the time… UNC 31 ISU 30.

already123
October 9th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I say UNC wins BIG this week....

I also like MSU to "upset" weber

It will be a great test to see if MSU can make weber one dimensional

I Bleed Purple
October 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I say UNC wins BIG this week....

I also like MSU to "upset" weber

It will be a great test to see if MSU can make weber one dimensional

Man, you've been picking Weber to lose every conference game.

cats2506
October 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Yeah, but he's right this week

dbackjon
October 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Isn't that good then? :p

bpcats
October 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM
UM vs EWU Look for both quarterbacks to have field days. Both offenses are very effective and have a tendency to turn the ball over. Since EWU can't figure out where its defense is UM wins 38-31 in an entertaining game. Besides there is no way UM loses its first two conference games at the beginning of the season.

PSU vs NAU NAU has the nations best rush defense which doesn't matter to PSU. NAU plays keep away with its offense and wins the game 42-35.

ISU vs UNC A battle to get out of last place. ISU can throw up the points against anybody, the problem is everybody can throw up points on them. UNC wins 38-28.

Weber vs MSU This team has been my darkhorse team to win the conference since the beginning of the due to the fact that they returned practically everybody from last year. Higgins has matured as a quaterback and Trevyn Smith is a total beast at running back. MSU's offense is getting a little bit better every week as Kempt settles into his role as quarterback. As MSU is dealing with health issues and I don't believe their offense is consistent enough Weber wins 38-21. xmadx

GOKATS
October 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
UM @ EWU- by 7

PSU @ NAU- by 10

ISU @ UNC- by 3

WSU @ MSU- by 7

Bold = Winner

NoCoDanny
October 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
We will lose in the last minute take it to the bank. More than likely a hail mary but a fumble on the goal line is a good bet also.

JALMOND
October 10th, 2008, 02:10 AM
UM @ EWU- by 7

Sac. St. @ NAU- by 10

ISU @ UNC- by 3

WSU @ MSU- by 7

Bold = Winner

You mean NAU over PSU by 10, right? NAU played Sac State already (and the margin was way higher than 10).

Won't say I agree, just wanted to make it right.

JALMOND
October 10th, 2008, 02:17 AM
We will lose in the last minute take it to the bank. More than likely a hail mary but a fumble on the goal line is a good bet also.

You don't sound too optimistic. How about this scenario (sorry but I couldn't resist)...

Time for one more play. Bears need a touchdown, down by six at the ISU 36 yard line. Hail Mary is launched and it is CAUGHT in the endzone for a touchdown. Score is tied and the Bears can win it on the extra point.

Bears line up for the extra point try to win the game. The kick is up and it is BLOCKED! No way. ISU scoops up the ball and is HEADING THE OTHER WAY! No one will catch them. Idaho State gets 2 points on the blocked conversion recovery and wins the game by two. Now I've seen everything.

Sorry. I just couldn't resist.:p :D

already123
October 10th, 2008, 03:08 AM
my apologies....maybe Im just hoping they lose

CopperCat
October 10th, 2008, 08:48 AM
UM vs EWU Look for both quarterbacks to have field days. Both offenses are very effective and have a tendency to turn the ball over. Since EWU can't figure out where its defense is UM wins 38-31 in an entertaining game. Besides there is no way UM loses its first two conference games at the beginning of the season.

PSU vs NAU NAU has the nations best rush defense which doesn't matter to PSU. NAU plays keep away with its offense and wins the game 42-35.

ISU vs UNC A battle to get out of last place. ISU can throw up the points against anybody, the problem is everybody can throw up points on them. UNC wins 38-28.

Weber vs MSU This team has been my darkhorse team to win the conference since the beginning of the due to the fact that they returned practically everybody from last year. Higgins has matured as a quaterback and Trevyn Smith is a total beast at running back. MSU's offense is getting a little bit better every week as Kempt settles into his role as quarterback. As MSU is dealing with health issues and I don't believe their offense is consistent enough Weber wins 38-21. xmadx

I agree with your assessment of NAU and UM. UM has an advantage with EWU having a porous offense, and NAU is flat out better all around.

I think UNC should win Saturday, but part of me says that ISU won't go away. They may be 0-5, but they are better than their record says. They have a tenacious QB and a couple pretty good WRs, so who knows.

On the WSU/MSU game, I think you may be overlooking the depth that MSU has on the defense as a whole. Yes, they do have injuries to a few of the players that were big playmakers in previous games. But that doesn't mean that the second string guys aren't as good, because some of them are. MSU is very good at stopping the run, which may limit WSU more to the passing game. On offense, MSU has become more consistent each week. Last week Kempt didn't throw a single pick, and he was something like 15-21 with around 200 yards and a TD. That has consistency written all over it. WSU may look superior, but I don't give them the nod simply because they beat UM. This game will be a dead heat until the 4th quarter IMO.

cats2506
October 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I agree with your assessment of NAU and UM. UM has an advantage with EWU having a porous offense, and NAU is flat out better all around.

I think UNC should win Saturday, but part of me says that ISU won't go away. They may be 0-5, but they are better than their record says. They have a tenacious QB and a couple pretty good WRs, so who knows.

On the WSU/MSU game, I think you may be overlooking the depth that MSU has on the defense as a whole. Yes, they do have injuries to a few of the players that were big playmakers in previous games. But that doesn't mean that the second string guys aren't as good, because some of them are. MSU is very good at stopping the run, which may limit WSU more to the passing game. On offense, MSU has become more consistent each week. Last week Kempt didn't throw a single pick, and he was something like 15-21 with around 200 yards and a TD. That has consistency written all over it. WSU may look superior, but I don't give them the nod simply because they beat UM. This game will be a dead heat until the 4th quarter IMO.

Adding to what FTG said, UM made a lot of mistakes, at least 2 TO's gave WSU short field, penaltys negated some major plays, and I am sure that if WSU tries to send SIX after the QB that our playcalling will make them pay for it.

GOKATS
October 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
You mean NAU over PSU by 10, right? NAU played Sac State already (and the margin was way higher than 10).

Won't say I agree, just wanted to make it right.

Yep, brain fart, I think I was on the phone when I typed that.

Green Laser
October 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM
UM VS EWU / UM BY 7

PSU VS NAU / NAU BY 10

ISU VS UNC / UNC BY 10

WEBER VS MSU / WEBER BY 14

Ronbo
October 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The way the Griz are playing I can't figure out how they will win at Eastern Washington.

Weber State goes down. The post Griz letdown strikes again.

JALMOND
October 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
So much discussion on the power rankings, let's see if we can generate some of the same on this (well, maybe not). Does the picture get clearer after this week, or is it still hopeless? With Montana, Weber State and upstart Portland State all playing on the road, does the home team hold serve again this weekend? How about this, snow is in the forecast for Bozeman and Greeley this weekend (and it is supposed to be on the cold side in Cheney), will that factor in to the equation? Here are my predictions for this weekend, of which I currently stand 32-6 for the year. Everyone but Sac State plays this weekend. Have at them!!!

Looks like a perfect 4-0 weekend. Makes me 36-6 for the year. On to next week. I get to be completely objective as the Vikings are off next weekend.

I Bleed Purple
October 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like a perfect 4-0 weekend. Makes me 36-6 for the year. On to next week. I get to be completely objective as the Vikings are off next weekend.

But how are you against the spread. xsmiley_wix

JALMOND
October 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
But how are you against the spread. xsmiley_wix

No comment.:D xlolx