PDA

View Full Version : Tape Exchange at Issue for SWAC

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Here's a subject none of us really think about -- TAPE EXCHANGE!

Nice write-up by the Baton Rouge Advocate that explains the shortcomings with video exchange as far as the SWAC goes. I am not sure if any other conferences have issues, but apparently the SWAC is not caught up with the digital era that I'm sure quite a few FCS conferences also have at their advantage as far as video exchanges go. The coaches feel this is setting back their game plans and preparation, which I am sure it does.

VHS tapes? Who uses those nowadays? It's all DVDs nowadays.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/30610809.html?index=1&c=y

As I said on TSPN...

I know an increasing amount of conferences are going with JumpTV/XOS where they can upload games to a server which can be snatched down by opposing schools using the same system.

While that works for conference opponents, OOC of course provides numerous obstacles.

danefan
October 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
The SWAC commish talked a little bit about this during the game on ESPNU a few weeks ago.

I was really surprised to learn that SWAC teams are still using VHS tapes.

My high school doesn't even use VHS anymore. You can get set up with a high quality football editing hardware and software for under $5,000 now.

Franks Tanks
October 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Here's a subject none of us really think about -- TAPE EXCHANGE!

Nice write-up by the Baton Rouge Advocate that explains the shortcomings with video exchange as far as the SWAC goes. I am not sure if any other conferences have issues, but apparently the SWAC is not caught up with the digital era that I'm sure quite a few FCS conferences also have at their advantage as far as video exchanges go. The coaches feel this is setting back their game plans and preparation, which I am sure it does.

VHS tapes? Who uses those nowadays? It's all DVDs nowadays.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/30610809.html?index=1&c=y

As I said on TSPN...

I know an increasing amount of conferences are going with JumpTV/XOS where they can upload games to a server which can be snatched down by opposing schools using the same system.

While that works for conference opponents, OOC of course provides numerous obstacles.

You cant watch game film on DVD. Its either VHS or digital as you need to rewind and pause on precise points of the play to show footwork etc. and that isnt done well with DVD.

Bearkat-Backer
October 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
You cant watch game film on DVD. Its either VHS or digital as you need to rewind and pause on precise points of the play to show footwork etc. and that isnt done well with DVD.

That is completely false. New DVD players are more than capable to handle everthing you mentioned.

danefan
October 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
That is completely false. New DVD players are more than capable to handle everthing you mentioned.

That is true. There are DVD players that are "cowboy remote" compatible.

Franks Tanks
October 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM

ReallY? I have DVD player that upscales my old DVD's to high def. It is about 6 months old and deosnt do it that precisly.

danefan
October 8th, 2008, 09:08 PM
ReallY? I have DVD player that upscales my old DVD's to high def. It is about 6 months old and deosnt do it that precisly.

You need a professional DVD player to do it.

http://www.webbelectronics.com/html/VideoProducts/ProImageBig.aspx?ProID=41