PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown/Colgate Will Not Be Rescheduled...

LeopardFan04
October 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I haven't seen this posted...

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100708aab.html

andy7171
October 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
So if either (LOL) I mean Colgate wins the PL will they get an *?

TheValleyRaider
October 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Well, if Colgate runs the table, they win the PL, no questions asked

If Colgate goes 4-1, they'll be involved in the usual tiebreakers (head-to-head) with all the 5-1 teams. If the only 5-1 team is Fordham, Colgate is PL Champs

If it's, say, Lafayette, who is Colgate's 1 loss, then Lafayette wins the League

If Lafayette (again, for example) goes 5-1, but Colgate is their 1, and Colgate loses to, say, Bucknell, then Colgate wins the tiebreaker and the League

If it's a 3 or 4-way tie, then it gets interesting....

Clearly, this means we just need to run the table :D

EmeryZach
October 7th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Wow, this stinks for Colgate. That was going to be a very easy game. I'm still suprised G'Town didn't have to forfeit it.

Go...gate
October 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Not an ideal situation, but I prefer the eleven game season anyway. The players get an open week to let some injuries heal, and it may help them catch up a bit with their schoolwork.

crusader11
October 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
You think if this game was Colgate vs. Holy Cross or Lafayette this game gets made up? I think so....

Go...gate
October 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
You think if this game was Colgate vs. Holy Cross or Lafayette this game gets made up? I think so....

I don't think this is anyone's fault. There are just fewer open dates than there used to be under the 10 and 11 game schedules which prevailed for many years.

carney2
October 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM

I doubt it. There's just no way to do it. Besides, the PL fathers and mothers are, at heart, a do noting bunch. In this case they have done what they do best.

bison137
October 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Wow, this stinks for Colgate. That was going to be a very easy game. I'm still suprised G'Town didn't have to forfeit it.

Unless I'm missing something, this resolution is basically the same as having had Georgetown forfeit.

Seawolf97
October 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Tough break for both teams . Not even a chance of a mid week game the end of the season? Say a Thursday night game in November.

letsgopards04
October 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM

I would think it would have to. Chances are that these three teams would be near the top of the league and a non-play would affect tiebreakers alot. Counting it as a tie for tiebreakers is no imo.

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Unless I'm missing something, this resolution is basically the same as having had Georgetown forfeit.

The won/loss column wasn't affected, so that's one difference right there.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I don't think this is anyone's fault. There are just fewer open dates than there used to be under the 10 and 11 game schedules which prevailed for many years.

I talked to a high-ranking PL official about this, and they thought it was a real unfortunate situation. It was particularly rotten timing, as Colgate had their bye week already past and there were no true OOC games or bye weeks to play with.

They also said that since the announcement came on late Thursday, they couldn't get everyone together in time to do anything before the weekend. They did tackle it on Monday and came to a resolution, which IMO was about as fast as could be expected on this. It also wasn't fair to ask Penn or Princeton to rejigger their schedule with under a week to figure out alternatives, either.

What I've found is with issues like this, they have a tendency to work themselves out. So let's hope that it doesn't end up being a two-loss PL champion or three teams with one loss. xthumbsupx

carney2
October 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
What I've found is with issues like this, they have a tendency to work themselves out. So let's hope that it doesn't end up being a two-loss PL champion or three teams with one loss. xthumbsupx

There are 5 teams that still have the opportunity to "take care of business" and make this a non-issue. Any team that doesn't (run the table) needs to say to itself

"We didn't get it done."

not

"We got screwed."

if this situation becomes a determining factor.

Pard4Life
October 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I don't see what the fuss is all aboot... just give Colgate what they were going to recieve, a W.

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I don't see what the fuss is all aboot... just give Colgate what they were going to recieve, a W.

So is that what the league is devolving into, automatic wins? :(

aust42
October 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
So what was the deal with the Norovirus? Was the football team infected or did they just cancel the game out of paranoia? I didn't think Norovirus was that serious anyway?

carney2
October 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM

So is that what the league is evolving into, six automatic wins?

Only 6? Why kick just one guy when he's down? I want this to go to its logical conclusion where every team wins every game and doesn't play any of them. No injuries. No being "flat." No bad calls. No fluke plays. And, happy alumni everywhere. If purists want to play the games, well OK - just don't keep score. You would think that each team getting a "W" would be a problem, but this is the league that brought you the new and improved AI, so they can work it out if anyone can. The playoff bid could be rotated among the members with each team being led to the gallows every 7th year. Hey, maybe the NCAA could be convinced to adopt this win-win thing for the playoffs too. Now wouldn't that be grand.

TheValleyRaider
October 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM
There are no guaranteed Ws. Period

The closest any team came to beating Colgate in 2003 (National Runners-Up and all that) was Georgetown, who led 19-14 with 6 seconds remaining

The PL was in a tough spot here, and likely used the best possible outcome. Is not playing the game any more or less fair than trying to squeeze this into a midweek slot (which for Colgate would likely have come in their season-ending run of Lafayette-at Lehigh-Holy Cross)? It certainly wasn't going to be made up after the regular season was over

Carney's right. Run the table, and there can be no complaints xtwocentsx

Go...gate
October 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
So is that what the league is devolving into, automatic wins? :(

Anybody who saw the 2003 Colgate - Georgetown game knows better than that.

I still think Georgetown is on track. Fordham went through a dreadful decade or more before they became a program which was FCS-competitive each year. Just keep working and, hopefully, get that nice ballpark fully finished. I really like the place and its location.