PDA

View Full Version : The Official UNH/Hofstra Thread

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2005, 10:38 PM
For this week, I'm going to be at the UNH/Hofstra game in Hempstead. Here's some of the questions I have about the game.

Hofstra is playing for their playoff (and possibly A-10 title) lives on the line. Can they pull off the upset? If they finish at 8-3, no matter what happens in the rest of I-AA, are they in the playoffs?

UNH is the #2 team in the nation right now, and they're rolling out the new grass up at Cowell anticipating some home playoff games. Any UNH fans worried about not taking the Pride seriously?

Am I going to see any defense? Hofstra's Clarkson and UNH's Santos are averaging 300 pards passing and are 1-2 in the A-10. Hofstra's Colston and Ellis are probably the best receiving tandem in the league, but UNH's Ball is the best overall receiver in the league.

Any UNH fans making the trip? Any AGS posters going to be at the game?

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
For this week, I'm going to be at the UNH/Hofstra game in Hempstead. Here's some of the questions I have about the game.

Hofstra is playing for their playoff (and possibly A-10 title) lives on the line. Can they pull off the upset? If they finish at 8-3, no matter what happens in the rest of I-AA, are they in the playoffs?

UNH is the #2 team in the nation right now, and they're rolling out the new grass up at Cowell anticipating some home playoff games. Any UNH fans worried about not taking the Pride seriously?

Am I going to see any defense? Hofstra's Clarkson and UNH's Santos are averaging 300 pards passing and are 1-2 in the A-10. Hofstra's Colston and Ellis are probably the best receiving tandem in the league, but UNH's Ball is the best overall receiver in the league.

Any UNH fans making the trip? Any AGS posters going to be at the game?

If you take out the W&M game which I continue to say has the Cats number no matter what every time they play they clobber us, the cats defense aint all that bad PPG = 18.4

including the W&M game its 21.4

Also 41 of the points were scored on 3rd and 4th string defenders late in blowouts so now taking that out of the equasion and you have a defense giving up 16.3 PPG including the W&M game and 12.6 without. In the playoffs if the games are close, UNH will play a good defense, if there blowing you out you may geta couple trash TDs .

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 3rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
Unfortunately, I won't be there. For some crazy reason I just can't make myself leave Florida (not in the hurricane areas)! :p

I don't think there will be any letdown by UNH because they know the best chance for home games in the playoffs is with a seed. Besides, over the years Hempstead has not been a great locale for the Wildcats. Add in needing not one but two deflected passes at the line leading to INTs to beat the Dutch last year in Durham. That alone is enough to garner full attention from UNH.

All signs point toward a shootout which means it will probably be a low scoring affair! I'm still putting my money on a high scoring affair.

Uncle Buck
November 4th, 2005, 06:01 AM
This Dutch team has been nothing but underacheiving this season and in my opinion, somewhat of a disappointment. The strong first half against JMU, then we get crushed in the second half. Two double OT losses on games where we just couldn't close the deal. I know I posted on the CAA board that we would be 7-1 if not for the two dbl ot losses, but fact is we aren't. We haven't proved to anyone that we can win a big game. I expect this to be a track meet that we just can't keep up. I'll be there, and hopefully I'll be wrong in my prediction.

UNH 1999
November 4th, 2005, 06:22 AM
I won't be there... but I wish I could be. I am also not worried about the 'Cats taking Hofstra seriously, they know how important this game is. With regards to the new grass, it's not like they're spraypainting A-10 Champs on it... so that's okay too.

Prediction:

UNH: 42
Hofstra: 17

wildcat_fan
November 4th, 2005, 07:10 AM
I won't be there either. In fact, I will be in the air on my way to Texas during most of the game and thus will not be able to check the score every two seconds like I usually do. :(

I think UNH will be up for the game, but I am very nervous. Hofstra is looking for a big game and for some reason, they (like W&M) seem to have our number. Of course, I feel the same way about Maine but that's more of a cumulative history thing. Clearly, Santos has to have a big day, and the defense has to keep Hofstra from staying in the game.

Uncle Buck
November 4th, 2005, 07:21 AM
If Hofstra wants to win, we need to keep up offensively and that's the bottom line. Defensively, we need to be a bend but don't break group this week. Santos and Ball will get their yards, but we need to keep them out of the endzone. As someone else pointed out, all things look like a high scoring affair that will probably end up a defensive battle. As for a bold prediction, I will go with 28-6 Hofstra :eek: (which happens to be the score that we upset UNH with back in '94 when they won the Yankee Conference) ;)

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2005, 07:40 AM
This one has upset written all over it.

rcny46
November 4th, 2005, 05:38 PM

I think you may be right.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2005, 07:33 PM
If Hofstra wants to win, we need to keep up offensively and that's the bottom line. Defensively, we need to be a bend but don't break group this week. Santos and Ball will get their yards, but we need to keep them out of the endzone. As someone else pointed out, all things look like a high scoring affair that will probably end up a defensive battle. As for a bold prediction, I will go with 28-6 Hofstra :eek: (which happens to be the score that we upset UNH with back in '94 when they won the Yankee Conference) ;)

28-6 LMMFAO tell ya what that may be UNHs lead after the 1st qtr!

youwouldno
November 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Having seen Hofstra (vs Furman), there's no doubt their offense can do a lot of damage. But if UNH builds a lead I doubt the "Pride" can mount a serious comeback. They'll have to answer UNH the whole way.

blukeys
November 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM

I am just impressed with all the new UNH posters coming out of the Wood work.

Now will this actually translate into fans in the stands???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Now will this actually translate into fans in the stands???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll be there to see for myself.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Unfortunatly, im currently living in NYC so I wont be at the game :(

charliej
November 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Unfortunatly, im currently living in NYC so I wont be at the game :(

NYC as in New York City? Why couldn't you make a game on Long Island, about 30 minutes away? :confused:

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM
NYC as in New York City? Why couldn't you make a game on Long Island, about 30 minutes away? :confused:

OoOoOo my bad I thought UNH was at home this weekend.

ngineer
November 4th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Hofstra's only shot is to keep it close early or even jump on top. I don't see Hofstra as the type of team this year that will comeback from a significant deficit. Season has been a disappointment and if adversity hits early, UNH could blow 'em out.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 4th, 2005, 11:58 PM

Other than the monsoon game with URI, Cowell Stadium has seen crowds well over capacity this season. What more do you folks expect???? Sorry, we just don't have a 22K stadium like the Tub.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I'm off to the game. Look for the grey Boston Red Sox shirt and the tan hat roaming hte sidelines. Hoping for a good turnout!

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I'm off to the game. Look for the grey Boston Red Sox shirt and the tan hat roaming hte sidelines. Hoping for a good turnout!

Red Sox?? That bandwagon is SOOOOO over! :rolleyes:

wildcat_fan
November 5th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Wow, just got the score after getting into San Antonio. That was tight!!!! I will be interested to get the post-game recap from those who went to the game.