PDA

View Full Version : More Yale Bowl restoration photos

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.facilities.yale.edu/Projects/CurProjImages.asp?Path=F:\Facilities%20Web\Pub\ima ges\Projects\04090904\Construction\08.October.2005 \Week%203&strProjID=176

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2005, 10:40 PM
How many people will that thing hold?

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2005, 10:50 PM

it was 64,000 before restoration. Not sure if they will lose any capacity after.

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2005, 11:46 AM

according to this article, capacity will not change after restoration.

By Sean Barker, Assistant Sports Editor
Reprinted with permission from the New Haven Register

The restoration project at Yale Bowl is well under way, with work being done to both the interior and exterior of the national historic landmark in New Haven. Some seats have been ripped out, portions of concrete have been demolished and frames have been put in place for new pourings.

The goal is to have much of the seating on the home side available for home games this season, especially the Nov.19 game against Harvard. Each of the past two home games against Harvard has drawn more than 50,000.

Work will continue during the season and portions of the Bowl will be closed at times.

Work on the exterior façade and the lower ring wall (surrounding the field) also will be completed this year. The priority is to fix any drainage problems so the new concrete is not subject to any potential damage.

Trees that grew between the interior and exterior walls have been removed. The trees, which were never planted, had root systems the size of some tree trunks - many of which played a key role in the destruction of the exterior walls.

The bowl was built in 1914 and has served as the inspiration for several major sports venues, including the Rose Bowl. The capacity of the bowl (64,269) is not expected to change.

Portal 9, a demo for the remaining 21 portals, might look complete, but there is still work to be done, most notably to get the coloration of the concrete to match the original.

Officials expect the project, which will cost at least $21 million, to be completed during the 2006 season.

SeattleGriz
November 4th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Loved the prank the Yale students pulled off at Harvard last year.

http://www.harvardsucks.org/

Hansel
November 4th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Looks like there are seatbacks all the way around... nice.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Loved the prank the Yale students pulled off at Harvard last year.

http://www.harvardsucks.org/

that was one of the coolest things i've seen done. mad props to the Yalies on that one.

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2005, 05:03 PM
that was one of the coolest things i've seen done. mad props to the Yalies on that one.

After the 35-3 pasting the Bulldogs took from us last year, I don't begrudge them their fun! :p

bkrownd
November 4th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I've been thinking of going to Harvard-Yale this year, to see the Yale Bowl, but the thought of spending half a precious vacation day in traffic is making me think I'll just tour the Berkshires instead.
How bad is the traffic to get there from the North?

ngineer
November 4th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Lookin' forward to making the visit next year--October 14. Hope it is as enjoyable as my first visit to Harvard this year :D

bulldog10jw
November 5th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I've been thinking of going to Harvard-Yale this year, to see the Yale Bowl, but the thought of spending half a precious vacation day in traffic is making me think I'll just tour the Berkshires instead.
How bad is the traffic to get there from the North?

I don't think the traffic will be that bad. Neither team is a powerhouse so my guess on attendance is 40-50k. Even with a larger crowd you would not hit traffic until half a mile from the Bowl.

YaleFootballFan
November 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I don't think the traffic will be that bad. Neither team is a powerhouse so my guess on attendance is 40-50k. Even with a larger crowd you would not hit traffic until half a mile from the Bowl.

Getting in really isn't the problem, since people show up at different times.

It's getting out that's the problem. Route 34 becomes a parking lot.