PDA

View Full Version : SDSU now in must win situation?

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Well now that SDSU has three losses on their record it's my opinion that if they want to realisticly have any chance to make the playoffs they are going to need to run out the schedule making every remaining game a playoff game for them. Given they still have Cal Poly, SIU and NDSU on the schedule not to mention the rest of the remaining MoValley teams it makes it a tall order to do it. SIU and NDSU also are road games for them. Can they do it, yes it's possible they have the talent but it will be a tall order. What do you think?

FargoBison
October 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
With their schedule they could probably go 8-4 and still make it.

No offense to SDSU but they are probably going to lose at least one more game. @SIU, @NDSU, and vs Cal Poly are some very tough match-ups for the Jacks.

darell1976
October 5th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Sorry to say but i think the Jacks are out. Maybe next year.

SteelCurtain
October 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
No chance. The Jacks at home are tough..but on the road they usually lay an egg....I would suspect they end up with 5-6 loses..

Absolutely no way they beat us or So. Ill. and I really don't see them beating Poly..but that is in So.Dak and they are tough down there..

JTCowboy
October 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Jacks seem like a team that I would not bet against. They have shown alot of character since coming on board in the FCS and coming from behind seems to be what gets them going. I for one have alot of respect for them. Not that, that will help them any, but would love to see them in lake Charles maybe in a first round game if we both do our parts. What a great rematch that would be.

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2008, 09:59 PM
They can still lose another and get the autobid

RabidRabbit
October 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Jacks have 12 D-I games this year. No Non-counters.

Losses to IA St., UNI, and 3OT loss to McNeese. My expectation is that McNeese and UNI will be in the play-offs. Further, I would expect that 3 MoValley teams will qualify. At this time, SDSU leads the MoValley, and should make it to reasonably make it to 5-1 in MoValley before finishing at SIU/NDSU.xoopsx xnonono2x Win both of those conference games, and SDSU is at minimum a 7-1 MoValley co-champ. But, so far, of the 6 MoValley teams preseason top 25, nobody has lost at home. Who will win at least 2 of their away games against these teams? At this point, IMHO SDSU needs to split the SIU/NDSU at least to make play-offs.

Both Poly and SDSU must win to make play-offs. So, in two weeks, THAT will determine which of the Stangs or Jacks march to play-offs.

dlsiouxfan
October 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Playoffs could be in the cards for the Jacks this season. I see them losing to Poly but I see them beating NDSU and beating SIU depending on which SIU squad shows up (the one that plays first halves or the one that plays third quarters). 8-4 and a share of the MVFC championship would do the trick.

JackTwice
October 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I think the Jacks have a tough row to hoe. Even finishing 8-4 there is just not enough love around the polls for the schedule they have faced. I would hope that beating 2 out of 3 with Poly, SIU and NDSU would stand up but SDSU doesn't have the playoff pedigree many do and that would likely cost them a place.

siuham
October 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
It'd be tough to not win out and make it.

Assuming a loss doesn't come to Cal Poly, if SDSU can beat either SIU or NDSU, the team they beat will probably be out and the team they don't beat will be in with them, along with UNI.

Jacks02
October 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I voted no because if they lose to Cal Poly and run the table they can still win the MVFC.

I like our chances against Poly at home, but we haven't won in Fargo since 1963 and it will be tough to win at Southern Illinois as well. The Jacks have a history of some good comebacks, but we have a heck of a climb ahead of us if we're going to sniff the playoffs.

Kanitapja
October 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Still very feasible, but WOW, their schedule is tough.

Good luck, citizens of Jackistan, at least until that little Marker thing...

Houndawg
October 6th, 2008, 05:36 AM
It will ben interesting game if UNI beats NDSU, that would put SIU in control of thier own destiny; win out and get the AQ.

BisonBacker
October 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
It will ben interesting game if UNI beats NDSU, that would put SIU in control of thier own destiny; win out and get the AQ.

While that's true they still have to get by SDSU also. There is so many variables as to how things could shakedown but that last game in the dome against SDSU is really starting to look like a huge game. xnodx

footballer23
October 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Luckily for the Jacks, they only have one conference loss this year... they have that going for them. Unfortunately for them, they've got some tough conference games coming up. I just don't think they can afford to lose any of them... I don't think 8-4 is gonna get them in... they are gonna need the AQ.

BirdieJack
October 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I know I'm a bit partial, but how SDSU could go 8-4 with one of the best schedules in the FCS and not get a playoff spot is unreal to me. For God's sake, the Jackrabbits just took the number 4 team in the nation to TRIPLE OT. Now, if SDSU loses to Poly, yes, they would have to run the table, IMO.

That would mean that at worse, at 8-4(if they lose to NDSU and SIU) SDSU would be Fourth in the MVFC and wouldn't get in?? so that mean 3 teams from the MVFC only getting in, with the fourth (SDSU) having an 8-4 record and one of the best schedules and playing in one of the best conferences in the nation??

It wouldn't say to much about the respect for the new MVFC now would it??xchinscratchx xwhistlex

Go Jacks!!

jmc_jackrabbit
October 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Honest answer: I have no idea. Coach Stig won't let his team think about anything but 1-0 for each week (or 0-0 this week). And I'm trying to internalize that mentality.

Cal Poly's next. They're really good. It's a home game and that helps. The week off means we'll be healthy again for the first time in three weeks. But you just never know. We've played Cal Poly enough to know you have to have a really good week to beat them. My hope is that USD's ability to move the ball (maybe it was just garbage time, I don't know) suggests we'll be able to score enough points. It'll be up to the defense to stop Dally and company. And that's not easy.

JohnStOnge
October 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
As noted earlier they can lose to Cal Poly and still have a chance for the autobid so, yes, they can lose one more game and still get into the playoffs. It'd be tough, but it's possible.

In fact, we don't know how the MVC is going to end up. Could be the autobid team might have more than one conference loss. Right now every team in the league except Illinois State has 1 conference loss already.

RabidRabbit
October 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
8-4 Jacks make play-off as would have 8 D-I victories, including FCS top 25 teams.

7-5, with 7 D-I wins, Jacks are likely to be sitting home.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
To answer the question, NO, this is NOT a must win! Here's why:

Assuming nobody separates themselves from the pack, and the top teams in the Valley continue to knock each other off, the Jacks playoff aspirations are still well alive with another loss!! If SDSU wins two of three vs. Poly, NDSU, and SIU - THEY ARE IN (assuming wins against Mizzou St, Ill St, and Ind St)...

If we lose any two remaining games on the schedule, which would put us at 5 losses, I'm sure we will be out... Making the playoffs will be a tough to do with a loss to Poly, but it is still possible!

BisonBacker
October 6th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Assuming nobody separates themselves from the pack, and the top teams in the Valley continue to knock each other off, the Jacks playoff aspirations are still well alive with another loss!! If SDSU wins two of three vs. Poly, NDSU, and SIU - THEY ARE IN (assuming wins against Mizzou St, Ill St, and Ind St)...

If we lose any two remaining games on the schedule, which would put us at 5 losses, I'm sure we will be out... Making the playoffs will be a tough to do with a loss to Poly, but it is still possible!

I think that is a bad assumption (you know what they say about assuming things), I do believe that either UNI, SIU or NDSU will do just that. Only time will tell but I'm of the opinion that a 4 loss team won't make it to the playoffs just my opinion. I believe the teams in bold have the best chance of seperating themselves from the pack.

RabidRabbit
October 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Welcome Jacked! Good to see you posting here as well as as

www.SDSUfans.com/board

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

crossfire07
October 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I know I'm a bit partial, but how SDSU could go 8-4 with one of the best schedules in the FCS and not get a playoff spot is unreal to me.

seems to happen every year.

BirdieJack
October 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
seems to happen every year.

That seems to be true.

SDSU wins out they'll probably end up top 10 in the nation. Lose ONE of those games and they're out of the playoffs??
Makes perfect sense to me.xeyebrowx

Bring on the 20 team playoff...after this thread, I know what side of that arguement I'm on.

Go Jacks!!

Chi Panther
October 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM
8-4 Jacks make play-off as would have 8 D-I victories, including FCS top 25 teams.

7-5, with 7 D-I wins, Jacks are likely to be sitting home.

4 loss teams rarely make the playoffs. What if UNI and SDSU both are 8-4....

RabidRabbit
October 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM
4 loss teams rarely make the playoffs. What if UNI and SDSU both are 8-4....

If both UNI & Jacks are 8-4, then UNI would be sitting home. UNI is 3-2/1-1, and done with OOC games. UNI played 1st year transitional USD, who is a non-counter. Further, to end up 8-4, Panthers would be 5-3 in MVFC.
7 wins vs FCS/FBS, and one lower level win.

For Jacks to be 8-4, they'll need to win either at SIU or NDSU, and barring upset by MoSt, IL St, and In St, would end up 6-2 in MVFC. All this is prefaced on winning vs Cal Poly in two weeks.

If Poly wins, then about the only way for SDSU to qualify, is to be the AQ from the MoValley, which means beating both NDSU & SIU at their homes, and ending up conference play at 7-1. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath for 8 more weeks.

RabidRabbit
October 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
BTW, you do recognize that IF SDSU DOES WIN OUT, that they are 9-3, and 7-1 in MoValley. And that is 9 D-I wins. Jacks do that, and they are SSSSOOOOO IIIIINNNNNN! xthumbsupx

NDB
October 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
sdsu has a great team this year, it would be a shame if they don't make the playoffs.

either way, it's one week at a time.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I think that is a bad assumption (you know what they say about assuming things), I do believe that either UNI, SIU or NDSU will do just that. Only time will tell but I'm of the opinion that a 4 loss team won't make it to the playoffs just my opinion. I believe the teams in bold have the best chance of seperating themselves from the pack.

With this much time left in the season, its impossible for anyone to get a little clarity on the playoff picture without making some rather large assumptions!!

If either your Bison or UNI are going to run away with the conference, they are going to have to sweep their respective "big games" as well :

NDSU -- UNI @ Cedar Falls, and at home vs. Western Illinois & SDSU...

UNI -- NDSU at home, and @ Western, Youngstown.. Also have to play and improved So. Utah squad on the road.

I'm sorry, but I don't see either teams sweeping their remaining conference games.. Therefore, assuming there may be a tie at the top definitely isn't out of the question!

nmatsen
October 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Let me make something clear to many valley newcomers. The old foke of the Gateway don't take kindly to "co-champs", if you win the auto bid you are a champ. If not, you are not. Plain and simple. YSU fans are notorious for broadcasting their "co-championship" status. Hilarious.

nmatsen
October 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
If both UNI & Jacks are 8-4, then UNI would be sitting home. UNI is 3-2/1-1, and done with OOC games. UNI played 1st year transitional USD, who is a non-counter. Further, to end up 8-4, Panthers would be 5-3 in MVFC.
7 wins vs FCS/FBS, and one lower level win.

For Jacks to be 8-4, they'll need to win either at SIU or NDSU, and barring upset by MoSt, IL St, and In St, would end up 6-2 in MVFC. All this is prefaced on winning vs Cal Poly in two weeks.

If Poly wins, then about the only way for SDSU to qualify, is to be the AQ from the MoValley, which means beating both NDSU & SIU at their homes, and ending up conference play at 7-1. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath for 8 more weeks.

Easy newbie, not happening. That conversation would travel no further than "didn't UNI handle SDSU by a couple of touchdowns this year?" Convo over.

BisonBacker
October 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
God I love FCS football and the playoff scenario. This voting BS of the BCS is a joke. To all the UNI, SDSU, SIU fans don't take my comments personally I'm just throwing stuff out there for conversation which is why I started the thread. I do however believe the original point I was making about SDSU having to run out the sched to make the playoffs is valid. xpeacex

h5322rsh
October 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM
God I love FCS football and the playoff scenario. This voting BS of the BCS is a joke. To all the UNI, SDSU, SIU fans don't take my comments personally I'm just throwing stuff out there for conversation which is why I started the thread. I do however believe the original point I was making about SDSU having to run out the sched to make the playoffs is valid. xpeacex

I am an SDSU fan, and I tend to believe what you said in the original point. SDSU needs to win them all, even in Fargo, if that is possible. I think we get all our d injured back for Cal Poly. So thank god for a bye week and a chance to heal those on the injured list.

BTW Bison Backer, do you dress everyday like the guy in your avatar? It might get little hot in July but otherwise, your good for the Dakota winters.

Obviously you do hunt. Your signatures are hilarious.

Houndawg
October 6th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Right now SIU is in a better position than either of them. If the football gods look with favor upon SIU, UNI will beat NDSU and lose to SDSU.xnodx That's the ticket.

BisonBacker
October 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I am an SDSU fan, and I tend to believe what you said in the original point. SDSU needs to win them all, even in Fargo, if that is possible. I think we get all our d injured back for Cal Poly. So thank god for a bye week and a chance to heal those on the injured list.

BTW Bison Backer, do you dress everyday like the guy in your avatar? It might get little hot in July but otherwise, your good for the Dakota winters.

Obviously you do hunt. Your signatures are hilarious.

Yeah I hunt but not as much as I used to. xrolleyesx

RabidRabbit
October 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Right now SIU is in a better position than either of them. If the football gods look with favor upon SIU, UNI will beat NDSU and lose to SDSU.xnodx That's the ticket.

UNI has already won at home vs SDSU. xbawlingx Jacks only conference loss, and anticipated only loss through to mid Nov. xwhistlex

poly51
October 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Honest answer: I have no idea. Coach Stig won't let his team think about anything but 1-0 for each week (or 0-0 this week). And I'm trying to internalize that mentality.

Cal Poly's next. They're really good. It's a home game and that helps. The week off means we'll be healthy again for the first time in three weeks. But you just never know. We've played Cal Poly enough to know you have to have a really good week to beat them. My hope is that USD's ability to move the ball (maybe it was just garbage time, I don't know) suggests we'll be able to score enough points. It'll be up to the defense to stop Dally and company. And that's not easy.

The game was not as close as the score or stats. Cal Poly was leading 42-7 at the end of 3 quarters. South Dakota scored twice on 2 long drives in the 4th quarter against Cal Poly's 2nd and 3rd string.

Chi Panther
October 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Here's to a UNI/SIU rematch.....this time UNI won't give a Kick Return for a TD and turn it over 5 times.....xeekx

Houndawg
October 6th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Here's to a UNI/SIU rematch.....this time UNI won't give a Kick Return for a TD and turn it over 5 times.....xeekx

By then our offense won't be forced to use a limited play book.xpeacex Long as you beat NDSU and we take care of biz the rematch will be in C'dale.xthumbsupx

Houndawg
October 6th, 2008, 08:27 PM
UNI has already won at home vs SDSU. xbawlingx Jacks only conference loss, and anticipated only loss through to mid Nov. xwhistlex

xoopsx I didn't know we play you in mid Nov.

SteelCurtain
October 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Playoffs could be in the cards for the Jacks this season. I see them losing to Poly but I see them beating NDSU and beating SIU depending on which SIU squad shows up (the one that plays first halves or the one that plays third quarters). 8-4 and a share of the MVFC championship would do the trick.

Just what I would expect from a sue fan.

Lets see, win in Carbondale and FArgo...Care to but your money where your mouth is.

I will give you 10 to 1 odds on your money. The jacks have a good team. But for some reason their AD put together way too tough a schedule. When you play in a tough conference already you don't want to schedule two top ten teams out of the conference plus Iowa State. That is just too tough to handle.

If they would have scheduled two cupcakes they would have had a great chance of getting in.

Good luck Jacks, I just don't see it this year. Just a little reminder. You havent' won in Fargo since 1963..

Jacks02
October 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Just what I would expect from a sue fan.

Lets see, win in Carbondale and FArgo...Care to but your money where your mouth is.

I will give you 10 to 1 odds on your money. The jacks have a good team. But for some reason their AD put together way too tough a schedule. When you play in a tough conference already you don't want to schedule two top ten teams out of the conference plus Iowa State. That is just too tough to handle.

If they would have scheduled two cupcakes they would have had a great chance of getting in.

Good luck Jacks, I just don't see it this year. Just a little reminder. You havent' won in Fargo since 1963..

I think that must mean we're about due for a victory!

crossfire07
October 7th, 2008, 03:27 AM

they will have to win the conference to get in. I dont think 2nd place will get in either much less 3rd or 4th. we all know them guys don't sit in a room debating every game every team had and on and on. they just use the basic numbers. all that other stuff doesn't matter to them. its all about the W's and the L's. if the playoffs were right now the "guys in the room" are no way going to send more than the winner from the mvfc because if they used the numbers as they are right now, the mvfc is the lowest at .393 ( 11-17). only the southwestern conference has a lower number .310 and they dont compete in the playoffs. I thought maybe their overall conference schedule was tough with 10 fbs games but the big sky (.467) 14-16 had 12. even if you made them 12-18 they are still at .400. so that wasn't it either. some were saying why they thought 4 teams from the mvfc should maybe go and i'm just saying why I think you dont send 2 or 3 teams from a conference that ranks the lowest when you only have 8 spots. xnonox

and since I have em, here are the rest:

Big South .481 13-14
Colonial .564 22-17
Ivy .500 8-8
Mideastern .450 9-11
Northeast .417 10-14
OVC .469 15-17
Patriot .478 11-12
Pioneer .556 15-12
Southern .519 14-13
Southland .536 15-13
Southwestern .310 9-20

jmc_jackrabbit
October 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
The game was not as close as the score or stats. Cal Poly was leading 42-7 at the end of 3 quarters. South Dakota scored twice on 2 long drives in the 4th quarter against Cal Poly's 2nd and 3rd string.

I figured a lot of those yards came after the game was out of hand.

appfan2008
October 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
as always... depends on who you lose by how much where... and what the rest of the country is up to...!

appfan2008
October 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM
they will have to win the conference to get in. I dont think 2nd place will get in either much less 3rd or 4th. we all know them guys don't sit in a room debating every game every team had and on and on. they just use the basic numbers. all that other stuff doesn't matter to them. its all about the W's and the L's. if the playoffs were right now the "guys in the room" are no way going to send more than the winner from the mvfc because if they used the numbers as they are right now, the mvfc is the lowest at .393 ( 11-17). only the southwestern conference has a lower number .310 and they dont compete in the playoffs. I thought maybe their overall conference schedule was tough with 10 fbs games but the big sky (.467) 14-16 had 12. even if you made them 12-18 they are still at .400. so that wasn't it either. some were saying why they thought 4 teams from the mvfc should maybe go and i'm just saying why I think you dont send 2 or 3 teams from a conference that ranks the lowest when you only have 8 spots. xnonox

Big South .481 13-14
Colonial .564 22-17
Ivy .500 8-8
Mideastern .450 9-11
Northeast .417 10-14
OVC .469 15-17
Patriot .478 11-12
Pioneer .556 15-12
Southern .519 14-13
Southland .536 15-13
Southwestern .310 9-20

very interesting statistics... maybe it would be helpful if you excluded all DIFBS and DII games to get an idea of ooc amongst FCS teams...?

BisonBacker
October 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Big South .481 13-14
Colonial .564 22-17
Ivy .500 8-8
Mideastern .450 9-11
Northeast .417 10-14
OVC .469 15-17
Patriot .478 11-12
Pioneer .556 15-12
Southern .519 14-13
Southland .536 15-13
Southwestern .310 9-20

That's totally assinine, you mean to tell me you think the conference is going to look at the Pioneer or Patriot or Ivy and send the second of third place team there based on conference winning percentage? Thats ludicrous.

BisonBacker
October 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Let me put it another way. If you have an 8-4 team from the MVFC vs. an 8-4 team in the Pioneer or Patriot they will first look at the SOS of both teams. No way a Pioneer or Patriot 8-4 team is going to get the look over an 8-4 MVFC team. Especially if that team is NDSU, SDSU, UNI or SIU. xnonox

RabidRabbit
October 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM
very interesting statistics... maybe it would be helpful if you excluded all DIFBS and DII games to get an idea of ooc amongst FCS teams...?

yes - There is a reason that SDSU is still in the top 25 with 3 losses. Teams near us currently with 0 or 1 loss are likely to have not played an FBS, and to have played down for 1 or more of their victories.

Not to take away from their tough win Saturday, but McNeese has only 1 FCS win. Jacks have 3. The first At-large criteria is how many D-I wins did you have? The second is how did the team do against other play-off likely candidates. The third is who did you lose to.

UNH was selected last year because of the FBS win, and all their losses were to top 25 teams.

SDSU will be in a similar situation, but without the FBS win.

FerociousCat
October 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM
UNH was selected last year because of the FBS win, and all their losses were to top 25 teams.

SDSU will be in a similar situation, but without the FBS win.

xlolx
Not having a FBS win is a HUGE deal...
& UNH had more tradition.

Not taking anything away from SDSU, but UNI fans can tell you about the selection commitee & an at large bid likely hoodxbawlingx

BisonBacker
October 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I think this comment from the MVFC website pretty much sums up the SDSU situation/question about having to win out.

No league team, however, has had four losses (overall) and earned at at-large playoff bid. SIU, in 2006, became the first league school to have three league losses and still make the playoffs

Khan4Cats
October 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Big South .481 13-14
Colonial .564 22-17
Ivy .500 8-8
Mideastern .450 9-11
Northeast .417 10-14
OVC .469 15-17
Patriot .478 11-12
Pioneer .556 15-12
Southern .519 14-13
Southland .536 15-13
Southwestern .310 9-20

Now Let's try it when comparing just FCS games:

Colonial .808 21-5 (1-12 vs FBS, 1-0 vs sub)
Southern .750 12-4 (0-9, 6-0)
Southland .667 10-5 (0-9, 9-0)
Ohio Valley .625 10-6 (0-11, 5-0)
Missouri Valley .600 9-6 (0-10, 2-1)
Big Sky .556 5-4 (0-12, 9-0)
Pioneer .500 5-5 (0-0, 10-7)
Ivy .500 8-8 (0-0, 0-0)
Patriot .478 11-12 (0-0, 0-0)
MidEastern .467 7-8 (0-5, 3-0)
Northeast .440 11-14 (0-0, 2-1)
Great West .375 6-10 (1-2, 6-0)
Big South .364 8-14 (0-4, 7-0)
Independent .211 4-15 (0-0, 7-1)
SWAC .000 0-11 (0-7, 9-3)

I ended up including the transitionals in this category, since a win by them could be counted as a win, so victories over transitionals also count.

Missouri Valley can pass the OVC as the OVC only has one OOC game left (UTM @ Auburn) and the MVFC has SIU hosting North Dakota and UNI going to SUU. Win those two and the MVFC is even with the Southland (11-6 to 10-5) but without having 9 games against sub FCS-level competition.

The MVFC will get two and maybe three teams in.

crossfire07
October 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Missouri Valley can pass the OVC as the OVC only has one OOC game left (UTM @ Auburn) and the MVFC has SIU hosting North Dakota and UNI going to SUU. Win those two and the MVFC is even with the Southland (11-6 to 10-5) but without having 9 games against sub FCS-level competition.

The MVFC will get two and maybe three teams in.

we will have to see how it plays out but with all mvfc teams already with at least 2 losses and obviously someone has to lose in conference games ahead. sdsu gets another loss and no conference title I doubt they make it but they are fighters and aren't going to quit. 2 teams, maybe. 3 teams out of the 8 spots, I don't think so. as for the southland, the conference games are just getting started and who knows what will happen.

btw... good numbers you put up. that stuff takes some time to do.

JohnStOnge
October 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I think that, if SDSU goes unbeaten the rest of the way in the Gateway to finish 7-1 in that conference and with 8 D-I wins, the Wabbits are in even if UNI also doesn't lose any more games and things work out so that the Panthers get the automatic bid.

AmsterBison
October 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
The Bunnies don't have to win all their games because they can still win the Gateway with a loss (or even two).

They also are playing 12 games which means they can still lose one and have 8 wins which could conceivably get them into the playoffs with an 8-4 record.

Houndawg
October 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The Bunnies don't have to win all their games because they can still win the Gateway with a loss (or even two).

They also are playing 12 games which means they can still lose one and have 8 wins which could conceivably get them into the playoffs with an 8-4 record.

They have to beat SIU who only has one conference loss and NDSU and UNI behind them. If UNI beats NDSU, SIU will control their own fate.

unigriff
October 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
you do know that its an even year for one and UNI has never received an at large.

Even year = no autobid
Odds = Never at large birtha

UNI is the odd team out at 10-2

jackmd
October 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I think this comment from the MVFC website pretty much sums up the SDSU situation/question about having to win out.

What about 8 wins if it includes a tie for the MVFC title?

I'd say there is a chance if we have 4 losses because of the 12 game schedule this year. I'd rather we win out, but that's going to take nearly a miracle.

Honestly, I'm only thinking about the Cal-Poly game. We can make an impression with a great performance against them and I think that definitely matters. If we can beat the Mustangs convincingly it might matter come the end of the year. Next Saturday is another huge game for the Jacks and I love that. We didn't have this sort of scenario at the DII level. Why didn't we make this move sooner?

skinny_uncle
October 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I think that, if SDSU goes unbeaten the rest of the way in the Gateway to finish 7-1 in that conference and with 8 D-I wins, the Wabbits are in even if UNI also doesn't lose any more games and things work out so that the Panthers get the automatic bid.
Beating both SIU and NDSU on the road is a pretty tall order. I don't see it happening.

FerociousCat
October 8th, 2008, 10:40 PM
UNI is the odd team out at 10-2

I will buy you a new purple wig if that happens...

89rabbit
October 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Terry V. the SDSU beat writter at the Argus Leader did some research and he found that no MVFC (Gateway) team with 8 D-I wins has ever been left out of the playoffs.

If this is true then I guess we have our answer. xthumbsupx

jackmd
October 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Terry V. the SDSU beat writter at the Argus Leader did some research and he found that no MVFC (Gateway) team with 8 D-I wins has ever been left out of the playoffs.

If this is true then I guess we have our answer. xthumbsupx

Thats what I thought. Lets go get our 4th win next Saturday. If we can do that we should have 7 wins heading into the SIU game. That puts us in position to make the playoffs.

rcny46
October 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
UNH made it in last year at 7-4 which raised a lot of eyebrows.The tough schedule they played (Richmond,JMU,UMass,Marshall) helped to get them in and that 3 point loss to UNI in the first round helped justify their selection I think.If SDSU goes 8-4,and they don't finish as conference champs,they will still deserve a spot among the 16 with the road they've had to hoe,IMO.xtwocentsx

rcny46
October 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
oops.I just realized I forgot to mention Delaware in the above post.Sorry. xsmhx